Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Need Suboxone Withdrawal Sleep Tips

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Need Suboxone Withdrawal Sleep Tips

Im going absolutely nuts over here. Long story short, I went from pills to heroin... then to get off that I went on suboxone which took away any thoughts/cravings I had twords my addiction. I thought I found something no one else new about. I stayed on Suboxone for 3 years until 2 weeks ago. my dosage varied from 16mg - 4mg.  Knowing that I was gunna give it my best shot I went straight down to about 3mg a day for a month. then 2 weeks ago I took my last dose and went to a 6 day in patient detox.. They gave me methadone daily for the 6 days so I didn't feel any withdrawal during that period but when I got home after day 6 I was going NUTS. seriously I don't know how people don't capitalize how bad the IRRITABILITY/SKIN CRAWLING is. I must have rolled around in a circle 500-600 times in my bed. no meds helped. But If you offered me 1,000$ if I could lay still for 8 seconds... ID LOSE. I was playing sheet-Karate ALL NIGHT. I though I would tire out by morning and it would go away. but no...I was doing the same irritability/fire crackers under my skin dance for the next 4-5 days. I was literally so close to just throwing in the towel and getting a sub. luckily non were around. I did notice the restlessness/ leg syndrome/ irritability did stop after the 6th day completely. But I am still Sweating through my palms.... I have the chills constantly. and worst off all its been 2 weeks and I haven't slept for more than an hour for 8 days. my body is running on fumes. my eyes are black, I feel my body is EXSHAUSTED but when I try.... nothing happens. I can lay still for an hour and look at the clock and be like "really?" im trying to do the right thing but I fear this no sleep record is going to back fire on me. I was hopping my body would have crashed by now but it hasn't. how can I get to sleep after I came this far?
I know exactly what u are saying as i am on day 29 off of subs. Was taking them for 6 yrs. My honest opinion now, is that i NEVER should have switched from pills to subs! Big mistake. I'm not saying this to scare you in any way, but it was approimately 3 weeks before i really started feeling better.  I didn't sleep for about 10 days (not real sleep anyway) i caught catnaps here and there. Don't push yourself too hard, what your doing is very hard. I remember posting that i felt like satan was kicking my ***! Epsom salt baths, i took 2 to 3 a day, helped alot. Not much u can do for the sleep, u can try the valarian root and melatonin but i didn't find they worked. Really all i was able to do was go from my bed to the sofa and then back to my bed. I did find, for the leg cramps, my husband bought me these support socks (like for diabetics) b/c there really tight, and they did help. Buy some protien meal replacement shakes b/c i'm sure u still have NO appetite but dehydrating makes it feel worse.  I didn't think it was going to stop, but it does.  Just keep pushing through!  Just fyi....i found a meditation cd called "brain food" and i would put my headphones on, lay in bed and let it play. It gave my head some serious relief! For sure!  I believe the subs are way worse than what we were doing before. They only seem to prolong what we all have to go through anyway. Keep posting when it ***** the most as many people on here will help! PUSH!
You should copy and paste this over to the addiction forum, more help in there for you my friend!

I too used Subs, only for a few month, but unfortunately I jumped at 4mgs and went into exactly the same thing your experiencing right now. I can tell you it takes about 20/25 days for the sleep and other stuff to level off, even then it takes a while before any normal sleep will return, not cool I know but its doable if you want it enough. Its pointless going back to square one ya know! Keep yourself busy, listen to music helps more than you'll ever know and when you can't sleep come on here and read, talk, rant and cry if you must, people on this site are simply amazing and will talk you through it! Hot baths are a must, drink plenty liquids and force yourself to eat and exercise, all these combined will help massively!!! Take walks in the fresh air, even if its cold, get wrapped up and get your body and lungs working, this will produce the vital endorphins needed to pull you through quicker, I promise you!

I wish you nothing but success and hope to talk soon, you got this my friend, don't give up for nothing or no one, way to go thus far, ;)

Message we whenever you feel the need, I'll always reply.
This thread has either been moved over or I'm cracking up, both possible, haha!
The Epson salt baths work wonders or a hot shower too. An electric blanket or heating pad helps.

Also weird but i find if I curl up in my blanket and pillow on the floor, i am calmer. Something about the hardness of the floor helps. Especially if I am hurting too.

Benadryl has helped me calm down on a bad night and I fall asleep for 4 hours too. I usually fall back to sleep quickly. Helps with the constant bathroom peeing trips too. BUT I don't take that every night. Just once a week or so. Maybe try one tonight and see if you can get some decent sleep for a while.

Others recommend melatonin or valerian root for sleep. Not sure how much though.
Hi, if your feeling that bad, all I took was 2.5mg of valium with 50mg of Clonidine prescribed by my doc for withdrawing.  I slept every night for 8-10 hours from day 1. I only used them for 8 days then stopped because I didn't want to get addicted to Valium. Like you I was on heroin, then subs to stop. I was on 32mg daily for over a year and tapered to .08mg before jumping.  I started my taper July last year and jumped 27th of November last year. So almost 2 years of subs. So we almost have same history. And I really feel for you. Yeah like everyone said, Epsom salt baths were great. Good luck, you can do this : )
Oh, I still get the feeling things are biting my skin and creepy crawly feeling. Try rubbing Nivea moisturising cream all over after your bath/shower.
I appreciate all the help here. I did go to my primary care dr the day i stopped and told her im withdrawing and i need all the help i can get. she gave me 0.1mg of clonidine and now i told her how i haven't slept for 9 days now. (for more than 45 minutes anyway) and she gave me trazadone. last night i took 2 of them... and nothing. I feel my body wanting to crash but my head will not let it. I don't understand why i cant sleep for more than an hour when its been 16 days now. I know im at the home stretch but the chills/skin crawling/no sleep is killing me. (not as bad as those first 4-5 days) but it seriously looks like someone gave me two black eyes... that's how exhausted i am. I get dizzy/light headed almost 15 times a day just from getting up. I cant walk without shaking. i don't know what to do.
This will pass my friend, I promise you! I was exactly the same and unfortunately it lasted for about 24 days, then sleep found me. You will get enough sleep to cope, even if its only an hour here and there. The way you feel, shake's/chills/skin crawling's and sweats will pass too, Its just your body fighting for you is all, I know how bad it *****, believe me I do! I thought I was going insane and I think I did for a few days with the lack of sleep, BUT it does improve if you hold tight and stay focused! The best piece of advice I was given during the for three weeks was "surrender to the process" Roll with it and everything will improve, don't sit waiting it out, try get moving as much as possible, exercise helps so much. I would do 10 mins on the exercise bike, be completely exhausted and wait 30 mins and go again, just to get my blood pumping, get the natural endorphins going again! Plus walking in circles in the kitchen, but we won't go into that, haha! Basically I would do anything to keep my body and mind active, especially when you don't want to, it so gives you a boost. Helps so much with RLS too, tires your legs out! Plenty of hot baths, the bath is a great place to hide when it gets to much, plus it helps with the sweats and makes you feel better, even if its just for a short time! Music/Youtube, funny shows and this forum will become a massive help to you, but above all surrender yourself and don't back down, you've come so far and you don't have to far to go before you start to feel somewhat better. Wishing you the very best my friend, way to go, ;)
lmao i know exactly what your talking about when you say "walk in circles in the kitchen" lol the 2nd and 3rd day I was at peak withdrawals and I walked back and forth in my room for like 3 hours. I mean if I cant sleep whats the point in trying. I like that quote though. surrender to the process. that's what im going for im way to far into it to go back to square one. I miss being able to sleep without taking something and then having to take something once I get up. I cant wait to just have 8 hours of sleep. im sticking it out. I appreciate the help though I really do. I don't have that many people to talk to that have been through this too.
You guys are scaring the s$it outta me.

Been on subs for about 14 months now. Started at 8mg/day, and dropped myself down to 4mg/day a month ago. No biggie.

I was planning on dropping myself down to 2mg/day mid-February, then down to 1mg/day in mid-may.

My doctor will continue to Rx me 8mg's, I feel certain, which is fine with me, because I'll just cut them and take what I need.

Now, all of that said, dropping lower than 1mg-day, say, down to 1/2-mg/day, then 1/4mg-day, etc, etc... then the final jump.

Should I expect what all of you people above me just posted, even dropping down to 1/8mg-day?!?

Say it isn't so... someone, please.
I hope not, Thats pretty much what Im down to now.....Im hoping I have very minimal symptoms! Praying!!!
Hey peeps, look at it this way, no one escapes drugs without detoxing ya know! Especially people with prolonged use! Everyone is different though, don't let other peoples story's scare you, I've read story's of people only experiencing minimal w/d's and then there are people like me, envy and others who had a bad time with it. Some people say they didn't feel much and slept pretty quickly, its all down to time in, how much vs how long and so on. I couldn't get low on Subs, tapers kill me more than the detox, drag it out to long and its easier for me to just throw stuff away and get it done, so that's what I did, jumped at 4mgs, so that has a lot to do with why I felt rough for so long. Please don't worry about it, do as we did and just surrender yourself to it and it will play out in what ever fashion its going to, the one thing that is certain though, IT gets better, much better than being tied to pharmacies and drug dealers ya know! Go grab your lives back my friends, you owe it to yourself! I wish you both nothing but the best in the future, best of luck on your journey, truly, ;)
haha! Can you even imagine what our loved one's were thinking watching us going in circles, like feckin zombies, hahaha! To funny! Your doing amazing my friend, truly you are. You have exactly the right frame of mind, just roll with it, your almost out the gates now, not long to go! NO! That didn't mean look at the clock again, lol. (put it face down, or take the battery's out), ;)
I do believe 100% that all subs do is prolong a withdrawal that we ALL HAVE TO GO THROUGH! No matter what drug it is that brought you to the subs, we all have to detox from it.  The subs doesn't get the crap from our system, it just pushes the w/d off.  What I've read so far though, is that the pills, heroin, etc.. w/d would have lasted less time than the subs!  I think we all screwed ourselves w/ the subs!  Did you know that they have opiates in it?  I didn't?  Would I have cared, probably not, but I didn't want to w/d and we all end up having to.  Keep pushing, don't go backwards, move forwards.  Music, put headphones in and blast music (NO MEGADEATH, KORN, etc)  happy music!!!!!
You guys in the U.S. or surrounding area do it very different to our docs detox plans here in Australia. We get prescribed 50mg of clonidine to take at once with 2.5mg valium. IM not even sure how .01mg clonidine would even touch the sides of withdrawal. Of coarse IM no doctor but it seems to me everyone who is taking .01mg clonidine its not working, and there going back to the docs to get a further med to take which I assume cannot be good for your body and is only stressing the patient out further thinking their withdrawal are much worse than they could be if only they upped their dose to 50mg Clonidine. I don't know. But surely something is not working properly if 2 different countries are doing the sub and methadone program completely different. You guys take your subs home in a bottle of pills with no one but an addict in control of them. I compare that to giving a bottle of candy to a baby and saying, here take only what your aloud to everyday. I feel for you guys so much, I don't think that's right to do that to an addict. Where is the support. Most of you know because IM in Australia we are not aloud a script of subs, we have to go to the chemist every single day and dose in front of them and stay till our meds have dissolved completely. And we have one of the highest success rates in the world for the sub program. I just don't think I would of got clean if I took my pills home everyday. I have great respect for everyone who got clean controlling their subs daily themselves. I know I've gone off topic a bit and IM sorry.

If your getting dizzy maybe your not getting enough fluid and or food. That's normally a typical sign. Guys don't stress I don't know very much, but every person who gets off some form of drug, is going to be very different in how they feel and how they handle their withdrawal. If you have been using a very long time, you must expect some type of uncomfortable feeling during withdrawal. Its inevitable if your going to read someone elses story who went through hell that your psyching yourself up to have the same withdrawal. You will not know how you feel, until you are in withdrawal yourself. I was one of the lucky few who didn't read stories till I completely detoxed and I was comfortable every day, I didn't loose a wink of sleep or have any major withdrawal. We are all scared to do something that requires an outcome of the unknown, were only human. When we have abused drugs for so long its normal to feel scared about stopping. We don't know if we will succeed the first, second or tenth try, but as long as you try and never give up, you find yourself again, and you will like what you see. A person who who stumbles and falls and keeps getting up is more of a person than he who just stays down and won't even try. You can all do this, have faith your a great and wonderful person and you all deserve to be happy.  : )
I'm a brit and we have to take our Subs supervised everyday until you prove yourself with consistent clean test's, only then do they trust you to take it home and only go twice weekly. I think when people are truly sick and really want off, anything is possible, but I do agree giving people bottles of pills and expecting them to act accordingly is wrong! Its possible your success rates are because people get real fed up with having to go daily, what a grind, ha! Glad its working for people though, good news for sure, ;)

Well done on everything you've achieved, ;)
You couldn't be more right regarding giving sub to addicts. I found a dr that wrote sub prescriptions b/c i wanted off of 6 yrs on pills. I cried to her telling her i was addicted and not for pain, used for energy! Was on the subs for 6 yrs and i don't think she was ever going to taper me down, and honestly, as an addict, i wouldn't have anyway! Here's why most dr's in the US don't work....i paid $225.00 per month for a 5 minute visit and paid around $1200 mth for the scrip!  Theres too much $$ involved for alot of drs to take the patients off! My dr was just a legal drug dealer, nothing more!
Digger and Motye, I agree with everything you both said, absolutely I think our success rate is because we got fed up everyday going to the chemist haha : )  Yeah alot of people on here to tend to feel their doc is all about money. Very sad.
I dont kow what you should expect but I can tell you that I started to see some improvement in my physical condition around day 26. I was on subs for about 2 1/2 years after about a year on oxys. I tried to detox twice, once from two mgs and this time from 1 mg.  I have good days and bad days. Sometimes I sleep and sometimes I don't.  It is a process we must go through in order for our bodies to heal and it takes awhile. Please keep moving forward!
oh where to begin...

mark 26 days is a lot.. even though im still kindddaaa near there. I just keep thinking its NEVER going to go away. I have -75% energy. Getting up to get a drink makes me run out of breath. I do keep hyrdrated but the lack of sleep makes me feel dehydrated. (the shakiness) but I do have plenty of fluids.

As far as the clonidine, im guessing that maybe the mg's are different because if im right I would have to take 500 of my clonidine to equal one of yours. I swear im not lieing my bottle says 0.1mg clonidine. im not sure how much it actually helps but can you tell me if you've ever had this feeling: if I take 1/2 and im laying down for an hour, ill get up and my ears will start ringing (hard) then my ears get blocked and everything sounds reallllyyy cloud, not to mention im extremely light headed during all of this . I have to hold my nose and blow to clear my ears and sometimes it doesn't help. this usually lasts about a minute. but happens multiple times. I think it might have to do with the fact my body is running on nothing and im on the verge of fainting (I wish I would) from lack of sleep.

Things in the u.s. are completely different. I guess I can see the benefits of taking suboxone infront of someone everyday. they do that with methadone here (they call it being on liquid hand-cuffs) but no I used to get a huge box of 90 suboxone a month. (no one on this earth needs 3 subs a day.. I don't care who you are) but if I could go back now id just kick the heroin if i knew what i do now about subs. it only cost me $3.50 for the 90.

Amanda, how many days(if you are) have you been on suboxone?

I didn't expect all the replies. and i do have some inspiration reading these posts. I went to the movies yesterday and it felts -30 degrees colder than it actually was (goose bumps/shaking/chills) again not as bad as those first initial 5 days by far.. but still enough that its all i can possibly think about... my headphones do work as a temporary mind escape.

overall... still my problems stay the same. im not signing off until this will pass. but i did wonder off to read other success stories (some believable others ********) heres my account.

Day 1-6: I was in a detox program that would give my 30mg of methadone on day 1. and They would lower it by 5mg everyday until i left. so technically im 6 days without suboxone but i guess its not legit.

Day 6-10: by far the worst 5 days ive ever had in my life. reguardless of the detox i was in, the withdrawals when i got home seemed like it was day 1. looking back i don't know how i got through it. the fact that i can feel my stomach sucking like a straw looking for the suboxone to go back to how it was. sleeping-hands down impossible. i couldn't stop with the irritability and the fact i would have to move every few seconds or my muscles would give my an itch you cant scratch all over/ my muscles cant stretch far enough for comfort. typical withdrawal. I found scalding hot showers would take away the irritability  for about an hour or so. then be back in full swing.

day 10-17: The worst part is over but im left with some nasty side effects that can almost push me over the edge and make me want to go out. i don't want to sound like a broken record but its been 10 days since ive slept (for more than an hour) and the shaking dehydrated feeling limits me to doing just about anything that involves standing up. ( yes i do keep hydrated by the way) I can hold both my hands out and watch them shake like im having a seizure. my upper thighs have the same feeling. To weak to move and get anything done, my energy is LITTERALLY no where to be found. it may be part of my thoughts but i seriously cant do anything without being in the most uncomfortable position. I thought it would slowly get better but maybe the no energy/no sleep/dehydration-sensation/light headed/chills(sweating through my clothes) and the constant stretching. It takes everything i have in me just to stand up.  i wouldn't wish this on hitler.  

tomorrow morning im going to a month program (a post detox) its in Boston Mass. halfway across the state from where i live. i think its a 10-30 day program where it keeps males under close watch until their detox is done. of course everyone in there is detoxing for herion/oxy and im the lucky one that's gunna be there for subs which apparently lasts much longer. obv. id rather do this at my house like ive been doing since ive got out of detox. but i guess going away is an insurance policy that all the symptoms will be going within the 10-30 days. im not terribly excited but whats a month to get back my normal routine when i wasn't using (sleeping normal, feeling normal. not having to take something before or after i sleep) anyone else hate going away from everything and everyone you know? i can really use the feedback. its 10am on sunday.. ill be there in less than 24 hours with a bunch of strangers.THX GUYS
Hey my friend, so you are going to a detox centre, good for you! I'm used to being away from everything and everyone but yes it isn't nice, I've spent so much time locked up you see, it kinda becomes the norm. That was one of my main reasons for breaking free, i was sick of it, and sick of putting my family through it! I've never been into a detox centre though, it can only be a good thing, just don't let them give you any more Meth!

Thanks for great post you just provided and for the informative way you laid it out, by the way i would have happily given Hitler my detox, and everyone's else's too, haha! I hope you can get online in there so you can keep checking in and let us know how you're doing! Keep your head up and stay focused. You should start to feel yourself getting better within the next week, not long my friend! Wishing the the very best, way to go, ;)
Digger,

always count on you for a reply. I do appreciate it. I don't have a lot of people to talk to besides immediate family (either drug friends or friends ive burned left)

It isn't a detox center. its a post detox program you go to after you go to the 6 day detox that gives you methadone. so really its a 30 day program of people withdrawing. its about 2 hours from my house and its just really depressing, im sitting in my house watching the super bowl with my family not using and over 2 weeks clean. but I made a promise to my mother Id go for further treatment. so in 12 hours ill be there, openly give up my privlages, and the place is just groups, groups, groups and an AA meeting at the end of the night. I wont be able to watch any of my shows, cant smoke when I want, cant shower when I want, its a ****** feeling but I realize its only a month and ill be back. I just hate always having to listen to someone telling me what to do. especially when im sick -_- ive been to jail 6 times since I was 18. (24 now) I did about 4 hallway houses all equaling about a year. I need to get it over with and come home normal I guess. just depressing really =/ Im sorry for venting so much. I look forward to your reply. im counting on it. lol