Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Need To Stop Xanax....

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Need To Stop Xanax....

I just found out I'm pregnant & I'm prescribed  1mg Xanax 4 times a day. Since I found out I'm pregnant I'm trying to ween myself down to 1 a day till I can find help off of them! There way to dangerous to just stop cold turkey. I had my 1st doctors appt today with a nurse & I told her my concerns! & She said to keep taking 1 a day for now  because it is dangerous to just stop until I talk to my OBGYN but that's not for another month. & I'm not sure if my gyno will know how to safely take me off of the Xanax.But I don't know. Does anybody know a safe drug I could recommend to my gyno when I talk to her about my concern to stop taking xanax all altogether? I feel so bad that I'm even taking 1mg. I want to have the healthiest baby/pregnancy!  Thank you for any idea's or recommendations! :)
Hello and welcome. Congrats on your pregnancy. Going from 4mgs a day to 1 mg a day is too drastic of a drop. You are going to have withdrawal symptoms. The prescribing doctor will have to give you a taper schedule. I don't think the Ob will. I would call the Ob and tell them your concern and try to go in much earlier for an appt.