Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Need help getting off methadone.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Need help getting off methadone.

I have been watching the interaction here for awhile. I think ya'll are great. I need help getting off methadone. I also want to know what to expect. How long will the depression last? When do you start feeling better? I know this is different for everyone, but I need some guide lines. I got down to 10 mgs last week and felt really depressed, so I went back up. I started using pain meds for a legetimate reason. I had severe nerve damage in feet. Had several surgeries. Then it became a bad habit. I used for about 7 years (oxy's, lorcet). I got on a methadone program that worked really well. I have been on methadone for about 2 years. I started at 80 mgs and am now down to between 30 and 20 a day. I really need and want to be off of this. Can anyone help?
Hi Niccee.   I have to agree with you re; the forum and the interaction, I have been to other forums and this one here is awesome...the people are great and we really genuinely care about each other...of course not everyone,... but for the most part this is so true....I personally don't know much about methadone but i was wondering if you go to like a methadone clinic or if you are prescribed them by your family doc...If you go to the clinic or whatever aren't they the ones that help to wean you off the meth?  That's how I always thought it worked...as far as depression like you said everyone is different...I was lucky, coming off of Opiates a few times I have never experienced the depression that people talk a about,,as a matter of fact it was quite the opposite,,I had more energy than I knew what to do with....so, we really all are so different...Thomas and a guy named spook talk about the L-tyrosine, and essential amino acid the replenishes endorphines etc. that opiate use depletes our bodies of....4000 mg on an empty stomach with vitamin B6 to potentiate the effect of of the tyrosine...Thomas swears by it, so do several other people here...that should help in the energy department...Thomas can probably help you out better than I can, or at least he can point you in the right direction...(HI THOMAS)  good luck to you and have nice holiday      Love to all cin
I started out at a clinic and they helped alot, but I as driving for almost 3 hours a day round trip. I did this for months and it just got to be too much. I am now getting them from a dr, but he does not know much about addiction, so I am kinda winging it.
Where I am from there is only 2 clinics and they are both in the same town. The government seems to think we don't need anymore.
Thanks for the other info. I am going to the store to get some now and see how it works. I am so glad you did not face the depression. That has always been my problem. Thanks again. Have a great Memorial Day.
Hi Niccee.  Sorry I don't have advice for you on getting off the methadone, but I was wondering if I could ask you a couple questions.  I've been addicted to pain meds since I was 15-I'm 31 now.  I take around 15-20 Lorcet Plus a day and it seems like I've tried almost everything to get off.  I read this board religiously and try most of the suggestions given to people asking for help. I've been thinking very seriously about driving 3hours a day one way to the nearest methadone clinic because I can't seem to get past the depression that comes after the physical withdrawals from pain meds.  Everytime I quit I find that I cannot make myself get out of bed all day, and that feeling never seems to go away, so I always start using again.  So I guess what I'm wondering is...Did the methadone help at first?  Did it make you feel like you could lead somewhat of a normal life without pain meds? What has made you decide you need off the methadone?  Sorry so many questions, you're the first person I've seen on the board who is currently taking methadone, so I'm hoping to gain some knowledge from what you can tell me.
I was very happy to read that you were able to get off opiates without the depression. You many remember that I've been taking oxycontin for over two years for nerve-involved back injury. And the oxy works. I just hate being on it.

Getting off oxy is becoming something of an obsession for me. I don't know quite what's motivating it. It works for the pain, and I don't know if I got off if I could handle the physical pain. I guess I want to get off because I feel so damned vulernable. Vulnerable to very unlikely things: I'm arrested going through a podunk town and kept in jail for three days with no medication; there's a communist take-over of the government and all us right-wingers who essay against socialism on the net are rounded up and incarcerated - no drugs; hell - earth is invaded by little green men who put people in the mothership - no drugs. If you're going to engage in fantasy you might as well go for the gold :).

And then there's the mood swings. I don't seem to be able to stablize on a decent mood and stay there. It's up and down all the time. (*****, moan, *****, moan).

Can you tell me about how you got off absent depression? What were you on and for how long? Etc. You have my email address don't you?

Francoise
No,  I don't have your e-mail address...but would appreciate it ver much if I had it  :)  I have always enjoyed reading your posts...i had been on various things for about 10 or 12 years  just dabbling though...then in 1988 0r 89 i started taking narctoics from the hospital and was shooting myself full of demerol, morphine,  dilaudid etc.. as well as sleeping pills, shooting nembutal just a bunch of ****...I was pretty much forced into treatment by the hospital...I don;t know how i skipped the depression,  maybe because i was in detox for 2 weeks the first 3 days i have no recollection of,  then i spent the rest of the time in the rehab,,maybe i went through my depression during the time i was using as I was not using to get high anymore, but to keep from getting sick   I was using astronomical amounts,,,and was very depressed while using,,,so after i got clean i was totally happy just to be free...I really had never even thought about it until you brought it up...i also had alot of things happen in my life prior to my heavily abusing which is why i started pumping my body full of anything and everything...to ease the pain and depression....does that make sense?  i guess i was so happy to be off the ****   hmmm  this makes me think....and after treatment all good things came my way....i met a ton of new freinds, had my job back,,,got married had a baby then i relapsed got arrested   felonies  etc...but nothing major  no rehab again or anything like that...maybe i was just lucky?  have a great holiday,,,,and send me some mail   i love e-mail  LOL    love to all cin
I had been using the demerol etc.  for about a year before i got caught
Hi Niccee,

What you need is zinc/magnesium available at any supermarket (it is here in New Zealand anyway). Take 2 tablets a day or double the usual RDI (recomended daily intake) for a week or so then drop back to 1 tablet a day as normally prescribed. You will then be able to stop taking the methadone - heroin - clonazepam - cocaine - codeine or whatever without any problems. What seems to happen is the drugs leach these minerals from our bodys over time presumably because of an increase in metabolism. This is why it usually takes a year or two to come right (after a serious habit on something like methadone) as the only source for these minerals you have is food and it is only present in tiny amounts. This is why when you first start using you don't hang out as the body has a good store built up over a lifetime but this rapidly gets depleted and over time becomes more and more critical so your 'habit' is harder and harder to get rid of. When you 'hang out' the body is actually craving minerals (to produce dopamine etc) not drugs - the drugs themselves are not addictive in the sense we have been led to believe ie. makes changes to the way the brain functions. Obviously if you take zinc/magnesium with your drugs you can go on using but not hang out if you stop. I've checked this out myself and it's true. I have used for 15 years everthing you can name (7 years on the methadone included at 100m) but I'm straight now and it only took a cheap bottle of tablets from Woolworths to do it painlessly where everthing else not only failed but made me suffer 2 weeks in a row without sleep - followed of course by depression and fatigue that never totally went away no matter how long I behaved myself. To not prescribe zinc/magnesium tablets for drug withdrawl (withdrawal) is like asking someone to fix their broken leg with positive thinking instead of a plaster cast - plainly stupid.
Hi Cindi:

Thanks for your note. I've been wanting to set up an address that I could easily check when I'm out of town and don't have my computer with me. So I did. And here it is:

***@****

Please write to me and let's establish a short conversation about this depression thingy!!

That post about magnesium and such was very interesting. Given that the medical profession seems so disinterested in Ibogaine and in fact hostile to it, there's no telling whether or not trace elements plus tyrosine and B6 might just work very well. But since it's not an expensive, in-house, exotic treatment they can charge an arm and a leg for (gotta make payments on that Porsche), they're not interested. It wouldn't be the first time.

Commenting on another, earlier post, the warning from the web folk. I have to agree with Thomas. Dr. Steve's posts are always the same: very small shot of commiseration, generic warning, go see your local doctor, don't bother me any more, end of report.

Yes, Thomas could do better, and has.

Loooking forward to hearing from you soon.

Francoise
JB,Wizard,Brighty,and the many more that at this moment I can't find the memory or strength to write, but you all know that I mean everyone..I haven't been on the PC in over a week, forgive me for not taking the time right now to read the new threads..I promise to try to make a long story short and to the point..I had to renew my medical insurance, and because Iam now $22.00 over the income limit,I have become only one of the many, many people who fall inbetween the cracks,they are discontinuing my health insurance..we appealed it, which only buys us a few more weeks,Iam trying to refill as many prescriptions that I can..it's not just the oxycontins and the xanax that will be taken away from me, I have four (4) pills that I take for my heart alone, not including the Nitro Patch, Nitro Pills, three (3) inhalers among other meds that I need..this is what has been happening, I was taking four (4) 80mg oxy's a day, I have always admitted to all that I abused them (crushed)the last week,I have gone from crushing 4 pills through the day, down to 2 a day, then breaking one 80mg into 4 pieces, I had Ultram 2 days to help somewhat, I started the imodium (immodium) before I even had a twinge, which stayed on top of the runs before they even started..I felt horrible, I needed help to go from the bedroom to the bathroom,I know that everyone said that it would feel like a very bad case of flu, which it did,I believe that I went through most of that, but...because of the severe PVD in my legs,I could not walk at all without pain, the pain in the legs was horrific,I also have always had stomach trouble,but what I have and am going through with the stomach is not just from withdrawing,about 4yrs ago, I had upper GI and doc went down the stomach with the scope took a picture (wasn't pretty back then)and did biopsy (sp)I had multiply ulsers, he wanted to go up the other end with scope and I never went back..the pain Iam going through now with my stomach tells me something is wrong,and the pain in my legs tells me something has been happening and I think the oxy use has been 'covering up'the disease as it's been progressing, I mentioned awhile back that I had angioplasty (3balloons) in right leg and eventually need bypass in left leg,as far as the chest pain I have been experienceing I don't know if it's gas build up or the oxy use has been 'covering up' something..I know it's hard to believe, but it's true when I say, it's like labor pains, even though I have had a heart attack, I still don't know what the 'real' thing is..like no matter how many kids you have, each time your in labor, you still say 'I don't know' here is where I stand, as I said we bought ourselfs a few more weeks, I was able to get another script for oxycontin, but Iam now NOT CHUSHING, Iam swallowing them like I'm suppose to..I'm a complete mess right now,I'm crying all the time, I'm so emotional, I'm up and down, even comercials bring on feelings that make me upset!and again I'll say the pain I'm feeling is unbearable, I dont know what to do,should I continue to swallow my oxycontin? should I start weaning myself,(though I was and it still was unbearable) I only bought myself a few more weeks,we got a readout from the pharmacy to see what all my meds cost, I almost died on the spot, my meds alone come to over $2,000 a month!! our income is only $1,500 a month from my husbands SSdisabity, all this for being a lousy $22.00 over income limit,please someone try to give me some feedback..I just don't know what to do, or where I should even begin!please forgive me for this being so long, I have no one else to turn to, to talk to
Peace to All
Dianne
Thanks for the address,  I have posted mine here before,   ***@****  used by birthday as my numbers, this way I'll constantly be reminded I'm on the downside of 40  LOL   actually, my kids  7 and 3  keep me young.....you know,, I say things like potty, and watch blues clues and sponge bob square pants,,anyway,  the zinc magnesium sounds very interesting,,being a Nurse, (not working as a nurse) for many many years, I have always believed in many alternate methods of treatments for alot of things, and If they told me that I had cancer or any one in my family had it, I would be on the firstplane out to one of these countries that has the cure....but,  don't get me started on this subject....Francoise,   I just wanted to tell you that since you have been posting here, I have enjoyed reading all of your posts.   you are very interesting and have much to offer here....please, Ihope you never find a reason to stop visiting here......I look forward to hearing from you    love to all
My God,   My heart goes out to you,    We have talked before via e-mail re: your cardiac status and how much withdrawals your heart could take,  given all of your medical problems PVD etc..now the abdominal pain of unknown etiology...I would hesitate before telling you do anything as it may put in in jeopary of really hurting yourself...I would continue to take the oxys (whole) not crushing them and high tail it to a good physician and lay your cards out...very good possibility you are mask
ing alot....Little story  I'll keep it brief,,,,Nurse goes into treatment,,detoxes for 3 weeks from massive amounts of demerol etc....one week after detox she turns yellow, eyes are jaundice, urine is dark brown, abdominal pain is excruciating,,,,goes to hsopital,   Gall bladder totally blocked with many many stones,  now affecting the liver  masked for a very long time by the opiates....the end....very possible...now,  my mom prior to her death was unable to get good insurance because she was terminal but  she did manage to get some and they did pay for some of her meds...Anthem Senior Advantage..her meds totalled about the same as yours, 2 inhalers, and about 8 to 10 different pills a day and later on Oxycontin, Ms contin and the oxy IR, vicodin  etc...plus cardiac med, breathing meds  the works. $2000 a month..there is also one I see on TV  the people's prescription plan,  there has to be help for your meds out there?  have you tried contacting the department of human services?  medicaid? medicare?  there has to be help...Diane, I am very very concerned about you... after reading your post my mind is going in a million different directions...the pain, PVD, cardiac etc...tomorrow  get in to see someone who can help you in every aspect, with meds....the reason you want off the oxy's is the price?   obviously you need something for the pain,  how about something less expensive?  regular percocet?  Maybe someone out there has better ideas but you need to rest, lay low and get in to see someone   that is my main concern right now....chin up, and if you need anything you have my address,,,,,love to all    cindi
First of all, bless your heart. It is nothing short of *criminal* that they would cut off your insurance when you obviously need so many meds to maintain good health and functioning. A friend of mine has a doctor who gives out generous free "samples" of (non-narcotic) meds -- maybe yours would be willing to help you out until you get this thing sorted out? I don't know what the legal/official channels for persuing something like this are, but anything is worth a shot. I wish you good luck in resolving this problem.. Milo
I actually got started on methadone by accident. I had a relative who had them and gave them to me. I started taking them along with my lorcets and oxy's after a few months I noticed that I was only taking methadone. I ran out of the methadone and it was going to take me 2 weeks to get more so I decided to go to the clinic, just to tide me over. They explained to me what had happened. I had actually accidently detoxed myself. THE LORD HAD A HAND IN THAT. I decided then to really straighten myself out. My clinic made you go to AA and NA plus they gave us one on one counseling. I got a great education. Can you live normally without pain meds? You bet! For years I never went to a doctor that I did not come out with pain meds. In the last year and a half I got pain meds only once, last month for a kidney stone and I didn't even take all of those. Its great not having to think about where your next bottle is coming from. It was amazing the amount of time I spent getting my dope. I was not getting high from it, I needed it just to feel normal. Now I feel normal with just 20 mgs of methadone a day and it is not the first thing I reach for. There are a couple of reasons I want off methadone. One is with all this self searching I have done in the last couple of years I have decided to change careers I have a degree in education (high school). They are going to drug test me for school. By the way if you are on a program and have to be drug tested they give you a note saying you are a methadone patient and they are not suppose to hold it against you. I just don't want to take and chances. But the main reason is I am just ready to be off everything. I have been on drugs for 8 years now and I am ready to start a new life. But I am also willing to stay on methadone forever if need be. I am sorry so long I hope I answered your questions. One more thing. All those lorcets were damaging my body. My kidneys stopped working right. My legs would swell all the way to the thigh. My kidneys hurt all the time. So please rememeber all that tylenol is not good for you. Anyone can email me at ***@****.
Thanks! I am on my way to the store now.
I said a prayer for you just now. My mother in law draws $950.00 from my late father in laws social security. She was paying $400.00 a month for meds then her doctor got her into this program that pays all but $50.00. I am not sure what it is, but you might ask. Also the individual drug companies have programs to help people with their meds. Look up the company that makes yours and see. I will see if I can find anything else out. I started out of college in a job where the insurance was free and in 6 years I was paying $300.00 a month just for me. The insurance companies are KILLING people and our stupid government does not care.
Thanks so much for your response.  It sounds like methadone could help me.  I can't keep going like I am or I'm gonna wind up in jail--I'm not exactly getting the lorcets on the up and up.  I worry that I'll lose my job if I have to drive to a clinic every day, but I really don't know what else to do.  Do you know if you can get started going every day to a clinic and then maybe get your meds weekly or can they work with people like that?  Again thanks for your reply, you've given me some hope that maybe I can start to get on with my life.
I know at the clinic I was going to after a certain amount of time and I think it was 30 days if you lived more than 75 miles away (that is one way) then you could get what they call take outs. You only had to go once a week and they opened up at 5:00 am. I know people who drove from another state to get theirs because at the clinic I was going to they were really nice. They were strict, but treated you fairly and with respect. Do like I did? Look up the clinics on the computer and get their number and call and ask. Hope it helps. Good luck. If you think of anything else let me know.
hi niccee

i have a boyfriend on 20 mg of methadone a day. he came down from 70 mg, had been on 70 for almost two years, then the clinic weaned him down. he didn't feel any withdrawal effects until he hit around 30 mg.

i wanted to write you because he recently went to a doctor for a prescription for buprenorphine. he, like you, wants to be completely clean and done with everything.

the buprenorphine is said to flush the methadone out of your system, so when the treatment is completed you will not feel the withdrawal.

i'm not a big fan of covering up one addiction with another drug, but i am going to support him in this.
maybe it's something you should look into.  
i've heard nothing but positive things.  
the cat
Hi Niccee,

If you feel any discomfort at all when you stop the Methadone just resume taking it and continue with the zinc/magnesium at 2 - 3 per day ( breakfast/lunch/dinner as you should always take them with food) for another week or so then stop the Methadone again and see how you go. It's just a matter of getting the levels back up from their current low. I only discovered this myself recently but so far I have cured 4 other people (all men)and we all have noticed that not only do we not hang out - we feel better than we have ever felt before. I speculate that our original problem was zinc/magnesium deprivation and this led us to use as a kind of self medication that turned into a catch 22 situation. Women's formula zinc/magnesium tablets are available so you should probably get those. Any problems or questions just leave a note here and I will get back to you. I am about to take my findings to our local A & D clinic so I would like to try this on as many people as possible before I meet with them on the 15th of June - you are only the 6th person to try this (the first female) treatment to my knowledge so I am keen to hear back from you about your experience of it.
is this combo of zinc/mag suppossed to take away the shaking, etc. when withdrawing...sweats, restlessness, aggitation...man, this sounds too good to be true....thanks   love to all   cin
Hi cindi,

It takes away everything except slightly sweaty hands (probably due to the body doing a bit of house cleaning). I have withdrawn more times than I care to remember mostly by myself and it's something you have to experience to fully appreciate - 3rd degree burns probably the only thing worse. Some people have described quite mild symptoms here (increased energy etc) but this is because they are only touching the tip of the iceberg. If you are doing a force 10 hang you can forget about sleep altogether for at least 11 days - then the real work starts.
I still keep pinching myself to check it's not a dream so I totally understand peoples skepticism. Try it for yourself you'll find it works as described. I don't know why the medical establishment have'nt worked this out - I could only speculate.
Hi cindi,

I'm with Cin, I just think this is great if you are right, and it really works; what a wonderful thing.
I bought some mag/zinc which also comes with calcium (which i need anyway), so i'm up to try it believe me!!!
I pass along information to other people who wish to stop this madness of addiction, and if this works, i want to thank you so very much for sharing this incredible knowledge with us all!  
If i can get through this, and help my husband save himself, i am committed to helping others fight this horrible life of addiction in any way possible.
I want to help heal some of my deep inbedded wounds by helping others, because this is the only way i will be able to keep my sanity someday.
First, i need to help myself (for me and my children).  I pray to god (all of the time, he's probably getting tired of hearing from me), but i pray to find the strength to beat this, i'm still not too far gone, my usage is minimal enough.  It's all the damage in my personality that i worry about.  I need to change myself bigtime, and get the counseling and support that i need to get through it.
Thank you to everyone on the board who has given me support, it is priceless.  Better than winning the lottery!!!!  
I know where 'hell' is, it's right here, and i want OUT!!!!  I'm too good for this life, what a waste!
Thank you again, i'll let you know how it goes.
My suitcase will be packed with L-tryosine, B6's and mag/zinc, you can be sure of that!
Lv Jenny
zinc and mag, huh? Why haven't we heard of this before? Of course, I only recently got put onto the L-Tyrosine/B6. By the way, what do you think of that stuff for recovering from opiates?

Here's something I heard recently. When you take the typical hard-shelled vitamins, the metabolic action required to break down the pill destroys most of the minerals/vitamins it contains. Believe it or not, the hot ticket seems to be Flintstone chewables! I haven't checked any of this out, but it is thought provoking in a paranoid sort of way.

Peace down under,

Thomas
I like that, Flintstone vitamins.  We have some pokemon vitamins in the cabinet; wonder what a dose of Pikachu will do for me?
lol!  It's getting late, and i think i'm getting batty!  At least I laughed for the first time today!!! :)
Geez, could you imagine just a $2.99 bottle of vitamins having such an effect, what a find!!! I hope it's for real.  I bought some today, so i'll let you know! :)
Lv Jenny
did I mention the point of the Flintstones was that they were chewable? That I think is how you get more of the vitamins to absorb into your system .... Poke who? Isn't that Gumby's horse?
Got on methadone 8 yrs ago after being addicted to heroin for about 20yrs. (I had never been on meth longer than 2 days here, a few weeks there etc) After being on 100mg for a few yrs I began detoxing slowly over the course of a few yrs. I got down to 20mg with no problems. At 20mg it got hard but I eventually pushed on until 2 yrs ago I reached 1.25mg (cutting 5mg tabs into quarters.) That was 2yrs ago and I can't seems to drop this last lousy 1.25mg. I wake up sick, the dose takes 3hrs to hit me and than only lasts 3 or four hours. The physical withdrawal isn't as bad as it used to be but the axiety and rage is unbearable. Also the depression. For those few hours every day though it all leaves. Anyway I finally decided to go to the hospital tonight and ask for an in patient detox to "knock this out" thinking with the atmosphere and maybe antidepressants/antianxiety meds i could do it. I just got back and they refused me saying there's no way that small dose could be reaching my receptors and my problem is purely psychological. It's the only inpatient detox place in town. I may be wrong but I don't think it's a placebo effect. There's days when Iv'e taken my dose (if you wanna call it that at this point) and forgot that I took it saying to myself "damn I don't feel to bad (for a few hours) only to realize later that I DID take it. So how could it be a placebo effect; unless my subconcious mind knew I took it or something. Anyway at this point Iv'e lost all hope. My wife is finally sleeping after crying herself home from the hospital with me, I can't seem to get used to this dose even after 2yrs. Is it possible that I'll never get used to it.? Is it just time to "jump" off here and be sick for ever?
If after 2 yrs my body won't adjust than how can it adjust with no meth. Or is the small dose keeping my body from adjusting and if I stopped the dose it would adjust eventually. (you know what I mean?) I appolagize for bitching about such a small dose when so many other people have much larger hurdles. I mean I consider myself an "old school" dope fiend and kicked countless dope habits but Damn! this is unbearable. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I haven't used any other drugs for 8 yrs and I'm just so close!
Please forgive my rambling
DIO
Thanks. I need all the help I can get.
Hi everyone,

I don't know why zinc/mag is a secret - I found out by accident when I was hanging out one day a friend noticed me sneezing etc and thought I had a cold (I was to ashamed to admit I had been using again). He said you must have zinc depletion if you are catching colds - here take 2 of these now and buy some more tomorrow. He is very knowledgeable about health and nutrition (but was'nt aware until now about the relation between drus/zinc/mag) so I thought I would follow up on what he said as it could'nt do any harm. That was a Friday night (I remember it well) and by the Sunday I felt OK. Then on the Monday when I felt better still I knew something was up (I find the 3rd day/night is always the lowest point) as I was'nt hangin at all and that was a definite first for me. Then everything started to fall into place like why when you are on methadone you have bad teeth etc - it's because zinc is essential to hair/teeth/nails. If you read up on depression you'll find it can be treated with magnesium and anyone who hangs gets depressed as part of it. Also
why the longer you are on anything the more you need to compensate for the mineral depletion. I'm laughing a bit at all of this - particularly the current literature on so called addiction (I now prefer the term 'mineral depletion').
Thomas - I don't have any experience of L-Tyrosine/B6 but B6 is brain food and is in a lot of the zinc/mag tablets along with vitamin A which aids absorption of zinc/mag.
Hey Thomas,

That comment regarding hard shelled vitamins/minerals just reminded me of something. A long time ago I was trying to work out why it takes the body so long to recover from a habit and I thought it's got to have something to do with vitamins/minerals. I took mutli vitamins/minerals for about 3 weeks (while not using) but noticed no improvement so I thought it must be a dead end. Later when I discovered zinc/mag I asked my friend (that gave me the zinc/mag) why this had not had any effect before. He thought it could only be that I had not had enough to notice any effect and obviously more was required. In light of your comment though it makes a lot more sense.

'God is a bicycle for a fish'

Cheers y'all
Hey Thomas,

Apologies if this turns up twice but after I sent it I found it was'nt showing in the history. Your comment on the mutli vit/min was very interesting. A long time ago I tried taking them (hard shelled variety) but gave up after noticing no improvement in 3 weeks. Then when I found out about zinc/mag I asked my friend why this had'nt worked previously. He thought it must be because the dose was so small I did'nt feel any benefit. In light of your comment though it makes more sense why not.
I'm loving this information, keep it coming.
I want to be the healthiest person alive one day, and i'm gonna be!  I'm sick and tired of looking 'sick and tired'!!
I want to look and feel great!!!!!  What a reward!  There's no drug in the world that will make you feel good and healthy, so what a tradeoff huh?  I'm sick of these dark circles under my eyes.  I've noticed that alcohol gives me dark circles, even in small amounts.  When i quit a couple times (pregnancy (3x) being the longest stretch, i always looked wonderful.  I felt good, aside from the regular discomfort of pregnancy!
When i had the flu back in February, I couldn't drink at all, and i did very very limited amounts of loracets, and by the time i was over the flu, i looked and felt better than i had in a long time.  I went into a major depression and walked around in tears until i started using again, but you know what, it felt great to 'feel' again, even if i was crying my eyes out.  I kind of went into overload of emotions, and letting it all out felt wonderful.
I want myself back again; I miss me! :(
I don't look at things the same anymore.  I used to take such pleasure in even the smallest little things.  I feel like i'm in a dark cloud, everything seems dark to me, and i feel like i have tunnel-vision.  I just stay focused thinking about taking something so i feel better, then once i'm there, i'm in a blur.  One thing that the oxys do to me, when i snort enough, i get extremely aggitated.  Everything irritates the **** out of me, then i wake up in the morning, i feel like i went through a shredder or something.  When i do enough, i absoluately cannot sit down and relax.  I don't know when the last time i actually sat through an entire movie was.  I love movies, and always enjoyed sitting in front the tube enjoying a good flick.  Now, my concentration is just shot, and i can't enjoy a movie enough if i tried.  
I don't want to stay in this blur through these so important years of watching my children grow up.  I'll back one day and realize that i really missed it all because i was too numb to notice important things.  Geez, and not to mention what it must do to them.  My husband is an absoluate mess, and i watch him getting worse and worse with his health.  I talk and talk until i'm blue in the face, but he doesn't listen.  Everything i say doesn't seem to stick anymore with him anyway.  I fear his brain is fried, he doesn't remember anything lately.
The most terrible effect i see is how he treats the kids and me.  He has no patience whatsoever.  He snaps and is angry at life and everyone around him.  He blames everyone for everything, and never takes any blame for things himself.  He is the most angry person i've ever known, and i know he isn't that way deep down inside.  He used to laugh and smile, but now, nothing!!!!
There I go again, i try to keep it lite and short, but i get so wordy lately; doesn't help that my hands can go faster than my mind (i've been typing for 22 years, professionally, i'm too fast for my own good - lol)!!!
Thanks for listening to me rant!!!!
Love and prayers for all!
Jenny
Just a note to everyone. I traveled to my clinic to get methadone for a long period of time. I never lost my job and I finished my schooling. Once a person sees the difference methadone makes in an opiate addicts life you will wonder why you waited so long to get your act together. You can do it. I will be getting my 30 day take out in the very near future as per new regs. Good Luck to All! Dan...
I was wondering....I know you've advocated Methadone for addicts, but would you suggest this medication for long-term pain relief.  I am in a situation where my "pain" condition will progress..  I noticed that you've suggested nsaids in a prior thread, but I've had no success w/ this, and my family has a history of stomache ulcers, and i've had them.  I was unsuccessful for almost a decade.....in finding any relief, other than Ultram and NSAIDS.  I've just recently been put on Oxycontin, but was also offered MScontin, and Methadone.  Some of the advice that I've received here, suggests Methadone as a very good pain medication.  I've also heard in the past, this is more addictive, or harder to come off of???  What are your thoughts on Methadone for pain control.?
Hey girlfriend    I know you posted to dan but I asked the same question about the meth for pain control and Mehtadone was suggested to me by several other people.....Hmmmmmmm  more of cin's food for thought.....LOL   Luv ya
Hi Everyone,

This applies to everyone so please pass this information on to everyone you can who is suffering needlessly. To stop using drugs of any kind painlessly all you need is zinc/magnesium as zinc/mag depletion is what you are really suffering from.

A typical tablet contains somthing like this:

Zinc amino acid chelate 75mg
Magnesium amino acis chelate 37.5mg
Vitamin B6 10mg
Manganese amino acid chelate 10mg
Viatmin A (1000I.U.) 300mcg

Grading your habit on a scale of 1-10 (1 being occasional use and 10 being long term methadone at 100 plus mg's a day) you should take the following amount for a period of one month then slowly reduce to a daily amount of 2-3 per day.

Habit scale/size - Number of tablets per day for a month

10 10
9  9
8  8
7  7
6  6
5  5
4  4
3  3
2  3
1  2
0  2

You will notice that I recommend you never go below 2 per day. This is because zinc/mag depletion was your original problem so you should give yourself an ongoing supplement to make sure it does not happen again. I now take 2-3 per day to maintain my health. I have had no failures with this treatment (everyone OK after less than a month) and have treated addictions (including my own) as varied as methadone and cigarettes. The cigarrete smoker reduced from 2 packs per day to just 5 cigarettes per day in a week without any discomfort. If you suffer any kind of 'hang out' just increase the zinc/mag dosage and give it a liitle longer to take effect (a week or so). Don't beleive all the bullshit about drug addiction you have heard -it's all **** - this is the real deal.
Hi Niccee,

I want you to increase you daily intake of Zinc/Mag to at least 6 per day (2 with breakfast/lunch/dinner) and wait at least 2 weeks until you try lowering your methadone level. The reason for this is that when I recommended you took 3 per day I was being carefull not to recommend too much in case it hurt your kidneys. Since then I have checked with people who know about Zinc and they said the average person (with no drug situation) should take 2-3 per day. They said someone with a serious deficiency of Zinc can take up to 10 per day with no problem. Basically it works like this - if you hang out at all when you try to decrease then you need more Zinc (and more time for it build up in your body). The only problem I have encountered so far with this treatment is people not taking enough. One guy I was helping come off clonazepam was still having trouble with sleep after a week but was feeling much better. We increased his zinc/mag from 1 tablet a day (he had heard about it 2nd hand so did'nt know how much to take) to 4 tablets and he was sleeping like a baby 2 days later. Any problems along the way don't hesitate to let me know.
Thanks for the info. I will start today.
From what you say, it sounds like the zinc/mag combination works for lots of addictive substances -- valium and barbiturates also? Would the amount needed be the same as you listed above for opiate use? Thanks! Milo
Hi Milo,

In short yes - a rule of thumb seems to be that zinc takes care of cravings and magnesium takes care of depression. I discovered it by accident when I was hanging out a bit after using a small amount of analgesics called tramil (which act similarly to opiates). As my habit was very small the effect was immediate and dramatic - I have tried all sorts in the past but it was clear to me straight away this got to the root of the problem where everthing else just masked the symptoms at best (I still felt lousy). The beauty of it is that it does'nt matter if you keep on using (even though you won't have the same compulsion to use anymore) as long as you take the zinc/mag you will just feel better and better. It puts taking hard drugs in the same category as having a beer or a glass of wine - it's nice now and again but you won't suffer if you don't do it. Another good side effect is you don't feel like drinking much either - one of my friends had a bit of trouble there and had been dry for 44 days and started taking zinc/mag with me. We went to a going away party and he had a couple of drinks but found he did'nt really feel like it so stopped there. He said that definitely would not have happened in the past and he put it down to the way zinc/mag made him feel different somehow. I know it all sounds to good to be true but it really is true. Catch ya later.
Thanks -- I will try it and let you know my results!
I recently detoxed off of 150 mg of methadone in 13 days at an inpatient treatment center.  It was tough, but with a lot of support I did it.  Methadone was not working well for me - I was a "fast metabolizer", took methadont TID, had become very mentally clouded, was having trouble working, remembering things and how to get to places, developed urinary retention, etc.  NO dose would hold me for longer than 2 - 3 weeks - then I'd start feeling sick again.  Had to search for three months to find a place that would detox me.  Definitely a tough detox to do quickly.  But what ever you do, if you are a methadone patient don't do a "rapid opiate detox under anesthesia" - also known as ROD or UROD.  See Methadone Today web site for horror stories:

http://www.methadonetoday.org/

Other good web sites related to methadone are the NAMA (National Association of Methadone Advocates):

http://www.methadone.org/

and the ADCA (Alcohol and other Drugs Council of Australia) methadone message board:

http://www.adca.org.au/methadone/

I'd be willing to respond to any methadone client who would like specific details on what has worked for me to make my detox possible.  E-mail me at: ***@****
Do any males who have detoxed from Methadone notice that when your dose gets low ejaculation causes the withdrawal symptoms to be much worse; sometimes for a few days (especially the agitation and axiety)? If it's not just me than what the hell is that about? Seritonan levels or something? If it's not just me than I think it's an interesting concept and the information would be of benefit to those detoxing.

Dio
Hello niccee my name is robby iam from dublin ireland and have been on herion since i was 14 and metadone since i was 17 and i am still on the metadone, i think the main thing with metadone is not to rush of it i think every one i know who dident stick with the program have gone back on to herion, as i said i have been on metadone for 4 years now, some people say metadone is worse then herion and i know where there comeing from but i disagre comeing of metadone is hard but when you are on herion you can not live a normal life you will mess everything up, jobs you will rob from anyone family inclueded you just canot live a normal life but metadone i think you can if you want to before i was on the metadone i had been kicked out of school lost any good real freinds i had and was kicked out of my house and in a lot of trouble with the police but since i have started on the metadone i have had a good job for the past 3 years have a good relationship with my family  and am liveing a "normal" life, my next step is to come of the matadone, comeing of it is the easy part staying of it is hard, i think you have to be out of the circle of drugs that means if your best freind is still on herion he cant be your best freind or he will drag you down with him, you also have to have other things in your life something like a hobby a distraction anything that is positiv where you will meet new freinds, i think a job is also importint, i have to say this is only my opinion i am sure a lot of people would disagre.I also have HEP C and might be starting on interferon tretment soon so if any one who nows anything about this or would just like to contact me my email address is trebor_mcgarry***@**** and please do.
I am commenting to the person that suggests using lots of vitamins to ward off the detox.  After I read all his posts I called my wife (we are not living together at the time) she is an RN nurse and I mentioned it to her.  She said
Good luck to you Dave, sounds like you're on the right track.
Keep feeding your body the vitamins that have been depleted, and it will make you feel better.  Also try to eat and get a lot of fluids into your system.
I was way down on my dose a week before last, and i was eating good, and feeling great!  I didn't feel the lowered dose effects as bad while i was eating and taking care of myself (while with family up north).  Upon returning home, i've fallen back, same old pressures and stress (related to my husband's addiction and my need to 'numb' myself).  blah blah blah, poor excuse, i know!
I'm gonna get strong one of these days for myself and my children.
Keep the faith, and try to be strong.  The w/d effects will pass, and if you really have the desire to keep away from the drugs, i think you have a wonderful chance!
Come here often, and read everyone's wonderful, supportive words; they are a godsend here, and you need a strong support system to help you stay strong.  You're definately in the right place, everyone is remarkable here!
Good luck and strength!
Lv Jenny
Hey Jenny, thanks for the kind words.  I'm down to a total of 40 mg's of Oxycontin spread out over the day.  I take 10 mg's now.  It's hard to believe I once chewed 80 mg's at a time, like four times a day.  I bet that would kill me now.  I will be out of Oxycontin and done with my tappering off this Friday.  So this week end is my first week end with no pain killers since before this past christmas.  I'm very confident I wont have a problem with it.  The craving for that buzz left me right away, and my over all battle with the "dragon" has only been four months long rather then years so I'm confident it wont be a problem.  Each day I tell God thanks for getting me through this.  I know how far it could have gone.  I dont have to worry about slipping up because I have no place to get them from.  I have been drug free all my 37 yrs until this got a hold of my virgin body.  I'm so glad its almost over.  It got to the point where the Oxycontin no longer gave me a buzz at all.  So I would take more and still no buzz, instead I would get sick.  Yesterday I actually forgot to take one of my 10 mg doses.  When I did remember it I was happy to realize I had forgotten about it.  It no longer has controle of my mind :).  I HATE OXYCONTIN!!!   Thank you all for helping me and all the advise, I will only look at people with addiction problems with sympathy and compassion.  I could not have imagined doing this cold turkey.  Tappering is the only way I think, it worked good for me.     Good luck to you and everyone else.

ps  I still think the vitamins played a big big part and I'm still taking them.  I'm a big believer in this theory.

Dave....
Wow, i am so proud of you, and what courage you have to get off them so quickly!  Like you said, it was only a 4-month habit, so they didn't have a tight, firm grip quite yet, good for you!!!!!!!
I admire your smarts about getting away from them before they destroy every single thing that is important to you in your life.
What these oxys do, is they highjack your brain, and they lead you to believe that nothing, and i mean NOTHING, is as important to you as is getting more oxys and keeping the flow of them through your blood.  Once it grabs hold (firmly), it is very hard to get away from it's grip because it starts to play games with your head.  It will tell you anything and everything that it wants you to hear in order for you not to leave it in the dust!!!!!!!
Again, good for you, and i am so happy that you felt your life was worth enough to save it, because that's exactly what you are doing!!!!!!!
:)
Lv Jenny
Jenny, I'm so ashamed of myself.  Today I went to a different dr.  To make a long story short I got a  perscription for Oxycontin.  I was doing so good.  I only took one.  I was doing so good.  I dont know what to say.  It was only 20 mg's, should I throw the rest in the trash??  Please respond soon.  Would you like my email address??
I did forget to mention my back hurt so bad I could have screamed.  I just wanted to deal with my back pain with out narcotics.  I dont know if you know my story or not but I have to disks that are almost gone and one is hurniated.  It hurts so bad sometimes I could cry.  As I was getting off of the Oxy's I was taking advil and tylenol for the pain.  I was taking way to much of it these last few days.   I HATE PAIN as much as I HATE OXYCONTIN.  As much as  I hate to say this but an hour after I took that pill my back was all but forgotten and all I could think of is I took another Oxycontin.  Yesterday and the day before I took none.  Zero oxy's for two days.  Way to much Tylenol and Advil for one person though.  Your a doll for your concern with a stranger.  Have you got an email to correspond that way?
I can't tell you to throw the oxy's away, but I do have a suggestion. For over 5 years I've been on pain meds, percocets, dilauded,morphine, vicoprophen and finally oxy's. I never abused them. Usually I took less than half my dose because by ex would steal them for his addiction. I would wake up in pain, it would usually take about 2 hours after waking up taking the meds and wait, wait to be able to walk. I have fibromyalgia, degenerative muscle and bone disease, 2 disks that were about to go and numerous other pain. My pain specialist recommended the duragesic patch. I've never liked taking all those pills. You wear the patch for 3 days, it's a very slow release of morphine,so you never feel high or anything. On about the 5 day I woke up, walked down stairs, played with my kids, took the dogs out, made coffee. My youngest son said "Mom look at you! I didn't have to help you down the stairs, your walking around like a normal person!". I hadn't noticed, because when I woke I didn't have pain, so I didn't think about it. This drug has been a miracle for me. It has given back my life. I have never felt better. My kids and I are having soooo much fun, riding bikes, skateboarding, playing ball. All this because of this little patch. The funny thing is, It's been over 3 months and I'm still at the starter dose of 25mg's. I haven't needed to have it increased. Ask your Dr., it could make the difference in your life. I do have vicoden for breakthrough pain, I get 200 a month, I haven't used 100 in 3 months! Less then 1 aday. I never have had withdrawals from the pain meds, but I never took more the 100mg's of oxy's in 10 days....Good Luck....the patch is called Fenetyl Duragesic......Let me know....Susan
I have been given the fentinal patch (not sure of the spelling). They gave me 50 mg patches.  I didnt notice a thing, it did nothing for my pain.  I'm so glad it worked for you, I feel so sorry for anyone that has pain.  I live on the third floor and have many nights been up in the middle of the night because of pain sitting on my belcony and thinking.  If I go head first I will be dead instantly and my back will no longer hurt.  No, I wont do it.  It has ran over my thoughts though.  I wish dr's that give out pain meds could some how just plug themselves into me or anyone to just feel the pain for a moment.  What I hate is the Oxycontin takes the pain away in an hour.  I hate that, I wish it didnt work so well.  I think the reason the patches didnt work is because I am what my wife (RN) says is I person that has a natural high tollerence for any medication.  I'm 6-1 and about 195 pounds so my size may have something to do with the fact that I have to take so much of anything to notice an affect.  I love being able to talk to you all on this board.
Jenny, where did you go??  I was hopeing for a post from you?  Dont leave me now
ive been on methadone, lorsetts, morphine, fetenal, dillata, percocets,xanxax for about 8 yrs ihad throat surgery and leg surgery and the doctors got me addicted ive tried everything please tell me how to get off this f****** s***  Please help me i am getting ready to take my cdls and i cant be on this s*** i got to get my life back on track
you have posted to a very old thread...year 2001...go to bottom of page click on" back to forum" then go to top of next page and click on "post a new question"....you will have better luck with answers witha new post...you are on alot of stuff hun, and i dot feel comfortable giving you any advice except an inpatient detox....peace and love
I need help! I have been taking oxy’s for about a year. But the last few months I have been taking nine 80mg oxy’s a day! What is the best thing to get off of them!!!! please help
Good to "see" you here. You've posted on a long, old thread (2001). Try clicking (in blue)
Forum: The Addiction Forum

At the top of the page, and then "post a question".
Make sure you click the "watch this discussion" at the right side when you're done (when in the thread). Otherwise, trying to find it again is impossible! Click on "mymedhelp" on the right side to view watched posts.
Otherwise your post will get lost in all the above.
Today is day 2 without 10 lorcet a day.  I have been up all night, I am hurting all over, there was a suicide in the newspaper this morning and I'm thinking, maybe they were on day 2 also.  Help!
I've seen it commented on above, but suboxone could be a turn that you could take that might help you get off the meth and be easier to got off of.........Research it......
My friend has been taking meth for a couple of months now and she has been dropping her mg a day she goes to the clinic everymoring and drops 10mg a day. she went today and the dr in there told her that she was making a big mistake that it will soon catch back up to her.. But she feels like if she ever wants to quit complety then she will have to do it on her own that it seems to her that when she goes to the clinic that they just want the money and her to stay on it. She is scared that she will never get off meth and wants to be done with it by Thanksgiving.. I was reading about the zinc/ mag that you suggest.. How could i explain to her how to take this and be done with meth thanks... justafriend15
Any other non-narcotic pain meds you can take, ones that won't get you high?  
IF YOUR FRIEND HAS ONLY BEEN ON METHADONE FOR 2 MONTHS IT SHOLD BE PRETTY EASY FOR HER TO JUST TAKE 20MGS ADAY FOR A WEEK THEN GO TO 10MG FOR A WEEK THEN BE SICK FOR A WEEK. NO PROBLEM. THAT IS WHAT I DID AFTER 6 MONTHS OF TAKING 40MGS OF METHADONE. THERE MIGHT BE A LITTLE LINGERING EFFECT, NOTHING A LITTLE EXERCISE OR A NIGHTCAP CAN'T FIX. TYENOYLE PM. WORKS GREAT FOR SLEEP. JUST DO IT.
JUST BELIEVE YOU CAN DOIT. EXERCISE IF YOU CAN, DRINK ALOT OF JUICE AND READ THE NEW TESTAMENT.
I KNOW ITS TOUGH BUT IT IS WELL WORTH IT, DON'T BELIEVE ALL THE HYPE.
This is a post from 2001. Those people aren't active now. If you want to share or ask questions start a new post (Post a Question button) We would love to hear from you.
WELL I WASN'T ALL THAT HONEST, I AM STILL TAKING 10MG ADAY AND TAKING 10MG OF VALIUM TO COPE.
ALSO I WAS ON METHADONE FOR 2 YRS NOT 6 MONTHS. THOUGHT I WOULD COME CLEAN. ENJOY THE COMPANY. I AM 37 YRS. OLD AND KNOW ONCE I GET OFF THIS METHADONE I WILL HAVE A NEW APPRECIATION OF LIFE. WANT BE SO STRESSED OUT ABOUT LITTLE THINGS ANYMORE, JUST DON'T WANT TO BE HOOKED ON MAN-MADE MEDS. GOD BLESS

Can some one please help me my brother is 38 years old and on 90 mg of methadone.... he wants to get help but when he goes to detox, they will only give him 40mg a day by law.. so he goes in for a day or two and he cant stand the withdraws of not having the other 50 mg..
I can not seem to find a place that is a in-patient clinic that will give him 90 mg  of methadone and he only has emergancy medicade and no place will take him he needs a place to stay as a in-patient.. other wise he is buying it on the street everyday for $100.00 so he says. I don't know much about it so if some one can please help I live in NY area in staten island and I really need help
can vicodin help with methadone withdrawal
I have been on 40 mg of methadone for about 2 years now for chronic back pain. i now have a pacemaker/defib in my chest due to low heart rate and now having problems urinating and swelling of the abdomine. I have developed a chronic cough and it has been here for a year. does anyone know if these are truly side affects of meth and how do I ween off this stuff., I am scared of it now that i have researched this med.
you have posted to an extremely old thread, from 2001..please go to the bottom of this page, and click on "back to forum", then re-post your question there where everyone will see it...i am afraid no one will answer you here because of the age of the thread...
by the way, they do not seem like normal side effects of methadone...i think you need to go to a doctor as soon as you can hun...  GL!  and please re-post your question...
Wait2long is right. Way old post-start a new one....Also,  sent you a private message, oops I mean a PM  asking you some questions. Read it and reply if you want.
Greatgreebo
I always learn so much from people like myself, who have been on pain meds for a long time.  I have had 26 surgeries, 5 of them back surgeries, 3 of them fussion.  The pain was so bad, and I think I have been on most of the main ones, the worst so far was oxycontin.  that took 2 Detox stays to get me off of that drug.  I have to laugh when a doctor says, oh its like a bad flu.  Like heck it is.  I was on 160 mg of oxcontin, 3 times a day.  The last doctor stop prescribing them, and I went through a withdrawal, that was so horrible, lucky for me, I knew enough to go to a detox unit, because of the sudden stopage of that large amount of oxycontin, I tried once before to wein myself off of oxycontin  and that to me was a slow torture in itself, and never works, how do I know I tried it.  I have been able to get off of morphine easier then oxycontin.  I now take vicodan, and the pain management center I go,  to wants to put me on methadone, that will never happen, especially after reading these posts.  methodone is harder to get off of then all of them.  Lets face it, doctors don't want to deal with you, so after you get addicted, they send you to  to pain management programs, that give the strong stuff.  No thanks I will live with the pain, with a small amount of vicodan, because, when I was on morphine, and oxycontin, it was like I had lived in a dark cave for 9 years.  I was like a bear waking up from hybernation.  If I need to get off of it quick, I am not going  crazy looking for anyway I can get pills like when I was taking  oxycontin. In my opinion oxycontin is a slow death,  Thanks for reading my comments, good luck to all of you.  I can only say I understand.  Thanks Ginny
Methadone can help you stabilize your life and stop drug seeking and crime but there is a price to pay. One poster said it, she wants a job where they test you and she knows they won't accept a methadone urine whatever you say. Also the side effects are almost crippling especially at high doses, profuse sweating, severe contipation, depression and believe it or not,  panic attacks and methadone psychosis. It a harm redution or lessor of 2 evils therapy. There are many ways to get off methadone  and most work differently for everyone but I have tried most of them except U.R.O.D. which is not recomended. Don't let methadone detox intimidate you! I've done it many times and have been done free and dope free for over 5 years. "Methadone, there's no future in it" all the best
Hi Nicee, today was my first time looking at this website and read your question about detoxing off of the methadone.  I have struggled with pain pill addiction for the past 9 year, from shooting oxy's and morphone, to just eating hella percs all day.  Anyways 2 and a half years ago i had my daughter and decided it was time to get my **** together and become a good father.  I tried just to stop and deal with the withdrawls but coud not.  Tried to go to rehab my insurance would not cover it and i didnt have 20,000 to pay for so the only other option i had was the methadone clinic.  Just recently i detoxed off of methadone, i had been on 160mgs a day for a little over two years.  The past year i had wanted to get off it like you but struggled evrytime.  I just spent 3 weeks in jail and was forced to detox off of it, I feel so much better it seeems like i can think normal again.  I was soooo worried to withdraw/detox in jail, but was suprised that it was not as hard as i thought.  I know if you can keep strong and try and stay positive it will help.  Im not saying it is going to be a easy thing to do, but all you can do is to try.  The only effects i still feel from coming off it is the sleeping i am only gettting around 3 to 4 hours a night, but other than that i am so happy to be free.  If you stop cold turkey immodium AD will help, eat lots of protien it helps your body get back to normal, and a multi vitamin and walking for a half hour a day.  It might be hard for you but over time with those things will help speed up the process of getting your body and mind back to normal.  Give it your all and i wish you all the luck in the world and promise you if you can you do it you will feel so much better.  I never thought i would be happy to go to jail but it really seems like it was the best thing to ever happen to me, I am drug free and feel really good.  Goodluck,  Corey
You see! This guy (previous poster), kicked in jail and it wasn't so bad and he feels much better. Don't be intimidated by the done jones. It is different for everyone and different every time from my experience. It put my life on hold for years and no longer has any hold on me, except some nightmares sometimes. "METHADONE, THERE'S NO FUTURE IN IT" all the best
I have been on the methadone clinic for 15 years all of a sudden they come to me an tell me that I have a positive for amphetamines, I would like to know if ANYONE has ever gone thru this.   I have been racking my brain trying to find out where the hell this came from I dont even take aspirins or any thing.....I believe some body like the nurse there is putting something in my urine,  everytime I have a montered it comes up like this
I would give anything to get off this stuff  

please advise
HI and welcome, i really cant give you any advise on this as i am not sure why this is happening but some people on here might me able to help! However you have posted on a very old thread, try reposting your question on a new thread. Go to top of screen and click the green button "Post a Question". Hope you get the answers needed for this and welcome again! Take care
my husband is trying to come off meth at the clinic he goes to the DR gave him oxycodone & morphane for a month
to help him get off I thank that is going from one drug to a nother. I dont know much about drugs never did thim.
I did quit smoking after 31 years It was hard but I did it. Im going to try to get him on the zinc/meg i hope it helps
I thank the state is full of ______ getting every body on meth and the cast 400.00 a month if you lose your job your
- - - - - -. any advice .   thanks
I was on methadone for over 2 years and before that I had been doing dope and pills for another 3 years.  I just recently detoxed off all of that **** and started living life.  The main thing about doing these drugs it is poisons your body and you need to rebuild it.  The BIGGEST thing is to stay hydrated.  You should be drinking at least 30 gallons of water per day.  If you want you can e-mail me and I will tell you how I did it.  It took me about 3 weeks and I never threw up once and it never got too bad.  I paid 1000 bux at a detox place but I can tell you what I did there.  My e-mail is ***@****
I have been on mrthadone for pain before years ago but i tapererd ever so slowly and didn;t feel a thing! BIG PROBLEMS FOLKS mu husband does not understand!!! IN fact he is pretty unsupportive;  I am in hell!  My idiot doctor took off on a ccruise for a month when I needed to tell him I had to come off 80 mgs to go to THAILAND!!  i HAVE GONE FROM 80 T0 20MGS TOMORROW TO 15 MGS THAN 1O FOR A WEEK. i am in hell I HAVE BOUGHT EVERY VITAMIN KNOWN TO MAN AND I HAVE TO BOARD THAT PLANE IN 4 DAYS! ANY HELP, PRAYERS, ETC.
Hi and welcome to the forum...you posted on a very old post but I found you anyway
its best to go to the top of the page and post where it says post a question in the green box...brings it up fresh for everyone to see and not skip over it...well it sounds like you got yourself in a jam girlee tapering off methadone is done slowly over a few mo time
it took me 8 1/2mo to taper from 150ml...your body/mind has to be in shock doing it as quickly as you have done it...I wish I had a magic wand to wave and make you better for your trip but your probably going to be sick for a wile the only way you can avoid being so severely sick would be to switch to a different narcotic something they would let you take on the plane ...I have herd of people using percasett to ward off the withdrawals but this can wind up being more distrutive then beneficial you could eazly wind up in active addiction again...but at least it would give you an option of not beeing dope sick for your trip...get to the dr in the next few days and get a script for some percaset and I know a girl who did this and only had to take 2 a day to feel better...again I caution you this could have disastrous consequences if you dont keep your dose down...give the pills to your husband to hold and have him only give you what is absolutely necessary to keep you from becoming dope sick it would be best to be honest with the dr and tell him your plan and that you have no other alternative because your leving the country ...hopefuly you can find a sympathetic dr out there to help you out...good luck and god bless....Gnarly        
glad gnarly grabbed u there....as he said u r on an old thread..posting ur issue on a new post will draw more attn to ur needs

thanks for joining us and keep posting
I had been on hydro meds for 5 years using 8 a day. Went to a pain dr and was put on meth 10mg three a day. plus still on 3 hydrocordone. I lowered my meth to one 10mg pill a day right away and stayed that way for three years. Now moved to Pilippines no meth here. I had saved enough meth for four years usage here but found out I need a drug test for a drivers license.Now I am quiting all  pain pills, it has been 6 days. Feel stiff  shaking legs had one bad leg cramp at night. Symptoms have stayed the same for 5 days. When will they lighten up. Still have four years of saved pills but NOT ONCE HAVE I HAD THE URGE TO GIVE IN AND TAKE ANY.
How long before I am clean to take a drug test? I know if I am clean no way will I ever take meth again.
Please reply, to my email address if they allow it.
MKL
sent you a message should be in your e/mail
hi trust me i know were you are i have been on and off methadone for 30 years i was at 180 for 6 years finally got down to 60mg and got talked into suboxone and 6 days ago i did it and its working  its a 13 day detox as for kicking methadone i went to jail at 180mg went through hell for 120 days finally passed out for 1 hour on the 19 day depressed the whole time got out and none stop back to the methadone please try suboxone its working
don't get stuck on sub. For maintenece , I think meth is better, but sub can be good for a short step down from meth. this thread is very old.
Read Staton Peele and it will open your eyes. You can find his books on the web or buy them used on Amazon.
HI MY NAME IS EVE I HAVE BEEN ON METH SINCE 1997 I 1ST STARTED ON 30MG THEN I WENT UP AND UP AND UP THEN WHEN I SAW I WAS ON 130MG AFTER A FEW YEARS BEING OM 130 I SAID THIS WAS IT SO I STARTED TO DETOX 1 MG A WEEK I DID THAT BUT THEN I GOT PREGNANT AND HAD TO STOP ANG WENT UP AGAIN BIT ONCE I HAD MY BABY I WENT BACK DOWN I STARTED TO DETOX 1 MG EVERY OTHER WEEK SO IT WAS LIKE 2 A MONTH I DID THAT INTILL LAST SUMMER THEN I HAD TO STOP THE DETOX BECAUSE I WAS FEELING SICK RIGHT NOW I AM ON 58MG I REALLY WANT TO GET OFF THIS ITS BEEN SINCE 1997 PLEASE SOMEONE HELP...
Eve. you will get more replies if you start your own Post.  I don't know much about Methadone, but there are many who do.

I wish you all the best.
HI Eve welcome to the forum....you posted on a really old post its best if you start at the top of the page in the green box marked post a question and start a new thread but I always look for the ones on methadone....well you not alone in this I to was once on just 30mg of methadone and wound up at 150ml ....I was on it 6 1/2 yrs originally I was put on it for pain management but like everything else they tried eventually it quit working so there I was stuck like you with a huge addiction...you said in your post your down to 58ml and stuck?? you should be able to taper all the way down I did it took me 8 1/2 mo to do it but I took it all the way down to 1ml then jumped ....that was 241 days ago...tapering off methadone is difficult top say the least I got stuck at 60 then again around 40 and then 20 was shere hell to break free from but with time and perseverance you can do it..just know there are certain doses that will give you trouble once past them it goes more smoothly but you do hit bumps in the road along the way ..the best thing to do is start a taper and stick to it best you can...let your body be the final judge in when you drop doses if the withdrawals are a bit much ...wait a few more days b/4 you drop dose again...there is a certain amout of discomfort you just have to tolerate to get off this stuff but if you taper properly it shouldn't be to bad till you hit around 25ml then it a bit more difficult but its still doable with the right attitude ...I tell everybody I have tried to help get off this stuff...get comfortable with the saying
"you just got to be ok without being ok for a wile"...YOU CAN DO THIS its just going to take some discipline and some perseverance...you have came to a great place for help and support...start a new thread on top of the screen as I explained b/4 you will get more responses that way...if you need help doing this I can help you where all here for your support and want to see you succeed good luck and God Bless....Gnarly          
Hello all,
I've been an addict most of my life and my main drug of choice is opiates. I have been kicking myself EVERY DAY wanting to get off this crap. It has taken my youth, any beauty or gleem in my eyes are GONE, my body has scars from abscesses from IV use. I'm a mess.
I finally found someone and am going to detox myself (again) using Methadone.
FIRST! GET RID OF ANY OF YOUR DEALERS PHONE NUMBERS!
What did work for me before is trying first to using smaller amounts of whatever opiate (Heroin), Then taking about 10 -20 mg of Methadone to see how you feel and if you're comfortable. I made sure I exercised every day to sweat out impurities, ate right and slowly detoxed. Example: starting on 30 mgs, I would take that for about 4 days, then go down a quarter so I was taking 25mg and breaking the tablet into 4 pieces so it would be 25 and 3 quarters of a 10 mg pill. Did that for 4 days and every 4 days I would do the same thing. going down, down, down. getting to about one quarter of a tablet I would have to take a valium or something similar to help me sleep. yes there is a bit of discomfort but being that it was a hot summer made things easier cause if you have ever withdrawal from opiates, you know you'll get chilled. Benadryl helps too.
Well, now I'm back hoping to God I can stop this crap altogether. I HATE it. I hate myself for letting that monkey talk me into "Just one time, it"ll feel soo good, just once" YEAH RIGHT!
I also despise these 'Clinics' that make you think you need to be on meth for years! Its all about MONEY to them. They don't give a s*** about anything else. The longer someone is on Methadone, the longer and harder it is to get off. Its so worse than heroin, it gets right down into the very core of your bones and hurts and cramps so bad.
I have never tried Suboxone, but I hear good things.
Make sure you have someone who knows what's going on. If you get into the N.A. or A.A. groups, go for it. Its just not good to go it alone. you'll fail every time.
I hope anyone out there that's going through the same thing succeeds! I wish you all well and hope you can do it and never have to go through this awful experience again.
Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.
Bless you all!
Nicki
i know these posts are older, but there is alot of good info here.  i posted so i could check the little 'watch' box!  i especially am interested in the info early on about supplements to help with the withdrawal.  my clinic made a big mistake and doubled my dose in error---without my knowlege or permission,  i was down to 30 mgs a day and they doubled it,  making it just that more difficult to detox.  by the time i figured it out, it was too late.    writing about your detox experiences are a big help, so thanks......
today is day 2 no meth my backs  in bits me leg are hurting to ive gone frm 90ml to 0 in a week this is it i want out i wish i had never ever saw that smack i cant sleep so whats best  to do my rip base i can do this its not gona kill me is it theres alot worse off than me so heads high lets do it...
HI welcome to the forum well going from 90 to 0 in one week is going to make you feel like you got hit by a train .....your looking at 2 weeks of withdrawals then dope sick for the rest of the month  I was on it 6 1/2yrs at 150mg and dident really start to come out from uder its spell for 90 days the recovery is slow from this stuff try not to get discouraged you do get better as you go along its just painfully slow you might want to start a new post go to the top of the screen hit the green button marked post a question you will get a lot more responses
with a fresh post your going to need all the support you can get the real withdrawals will hit you in a couple of days methadone has a long 1/2 life...I have helped a few people get off this stuff we have a member that jumped at 120 and made it good luck and God bless
.....Gnarly  
I'm on 50mgs of methadone & just want off it as fast as possible
any helpful tips would be gratefully recived tanxs
HI, I'm john it really neat that I'm not the only one ...boy I started a long time
ago i was at  130 mg now at 30 mg man I'm scared of the withdraws is their hope for me you think ? oyah  its been 5 years  
HI  the last 30 are the hardest fist off get up to walmart and pick up some 3 in 1 vitamins calcium /magnesium /zinc and strart taking 4 in the morning and 4 with dinner this will cut down on a lot of the withdrawals you feel .....dont rush the end everyone wants it over take your time where not aloud to give out taper plans but slow is good try some YOGI kava stress releaving tea some walmarts cary it otherwise you can get it on line it will help you out with the anxiety and sleep this stuff is a necessity wile doing this other then that post and post often go to the top of the page and theres an orange box marked post a question start a new thread you will get a lot more responses good luck and God bless......Gnarly    
I am only young still, was very very young when a certain *** introduced me to the big H! Spent a good 10 years in and out of jail, selling my body just to get what he and i needed!! That is not really the point anyways,
for a good 4 to 5 years i have been working my arse of in a proprer job - paying tax and all!!! , but no matter how hard i try , i waste every cent i earn on the crap and it makes me so angry..... WHYYYYYY , i work so hard just to stick it it my arm. Why cant i just start over, to everyone that knows me they beleive i have,,, why am i so sad and why cant i let go of this evil, unforgiving past - I really dont know how long i can on for
i so wish i could beleive, im only i=only on 15mg but work 6 days a week, sooo scared --- will i lose my job or will the pain win me!!!
I jumped to the bottom to try to explain methadone and what I have experienced. I had been in the methadone clinic for 5+ years. I am on my 8th day of withdrawal kinda why I
Here looking for advice. First off methadone is a very strong narcotic even to a heavy user. Trust me I was taking as Much as u. The methadone stores in ur fat thus to make it last for 24 hrs til ur next dose. So the withdraw is worse than heroine. It has controlled my life for. 5 years I gained so much weight had no energy after the second hr of taking my done. I didn't do as much with my kids anymore my kidsdad found a different girl who didn't sleep all day. I stopped caring about life after methadone. The clinic kept telling me I needed it. Insurance money I'm sure. But I got a month take- outs at a time. I decided to try less every week. By the time I was at 10 mg my friends said finally your back. We missed u. The last five years are a fog and that's when the depression kicks in expecially if u have kids like myself. I will tell u this today I have vomited twice, my legs feel like their on fire,.my bones feel like their gonna jump right through my skin, o feel.pin needles all over my body. I have diarrhea bad. I can barely eat. And this is only day 8. This lasts up to a month
Yrs there are things that can minimize these but that entails me going to my Dr. And being lablef a drug addict. I've dealt with enough lash because of this devil medication. I truley hope anyone who wants to get off pills. Do some research I was stupid by not doing it. Pill withdrawal ***** trust me
But I'd take 7 days of hell over 30 any day. I have taken muscle relaxers and it helps a little
But my honest advice and I promise good advice
If u can't do it go with suboxine not methadone. I promise u will be saved from along time of a living hell Im in right now
Good luck
It is also all about ur mind frame. If ur determined enough u can do it.
Thank you deederbug for posting about your addiction/struggle.  It sounds like you are doing wonderful progress! I like reading about each persons story beacuse they are all different but we all relate to some sort of addiction. So here is my story. I became addicted to pain killers when i met my husband who was already addicted. and that was 6+ years ago. I was taking whatever painkiller we could get. oxy, vicodin, lorcet, etc and was also smoking pot and cigarettes. I became pregnant almost 2 years ago and quit everything that year. My husband started going to a methadone clinic because he wanted to try and get clean but needed help. I thought they were going to give him a set mg and then wean him off. but that never happened. they kept increasing his dose and he became dependent on methadone. then he started getting take homes.. I started taking methadone as well. So i have been taking methadone for about 20 months and different mgs each week. the last 5 months or so I have been taking no more then 25mg every other day. the last few weeks I have been trying to get myself ready to quit completly. today is it. im done im so tired of being addicted to these 3 things. methadone, pot and cigarettes. I want to quit everything and be completly chemical free. I need help! How can i quit if my husband comes home with it and is taking it in front of me? He doesnt want to stop going to the clinic but he does want to quit smoking cigarettes. I have some questions for you or anyone that wants to help. Did you have a problem with smoking cigarettes on methadone? I smoke a pack a day when i am taking methadone! but the day that i dont take methadone i cant stand them and cant smoke. So I think if I quit methadone I can quit cigarettes. Are you currently taking 10mgs everyday and then quit completly? I know i need to make a plan and stick to it. today i woke up and cried my eyes out while i popped the methadone pill in my mouth. Im crying now writing this. I want to stop I want to get better. I just feel completly alone and scared trying to go through this. The only people that know about my addiction is my husband and my little sister. she is always busy.. So any advice from yall will help and is greatly appreciated :) Thank you.