Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Need help getting off pain killers

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Need help getting off pain killers

I am posting this because I am hoping someone out there can help me.  I've been taking pain killers for months now.  I want to taper off but need help.  I told my doctor about my problem and I'm pretty sure he is going to drop me as a patient.  He basically told me to knock it off and he'll give me one more chance to stop abusing my meds.  I don't want to go back to him and tell him I failed.  I am hoping to find a doctor who will help me taper off of them.  I want my freedom back.  Anyway...I'm live in Orange County California.  If anyone knows a doctor in this area who can help me...I would appreciate feedback.  Thanks
Tell us the type of pain killer & how many doses in a day.
I'm going on day 2 of being off Loratabs. I was doing about 25 per day for the past year without missing  a day. I have been doing them at work and they help me with motivation and energy.  The past two days have been really hard, it ***** cause In trying to have a good x Mas with my family.
So this is whats helping me
-Hot Baths are really good.
-Soup
-Keeping my mind busy with TV and Video games, even though my attention span is short.
-Most of all, reading on here that after 3 days I will be ok and after 10 days Im done. I know I will gey my energy back - I have always had motivation and energy before taking these tabs,

Wish me luck!!
HEY dude welcome to the forum 25 a day for a yr is a pritty heavy habit may take around 5 days b/4 you see the light and recovery time verys by a lot of factors your addiction just isent going to go away because you detoxed your still an addict just one that not using you need to treat the addiction the very way we think has to change otherwise its a merry go round of using quiting using quiting bothe N/A and A/A have free programs that will help you retrain your mind on how to not think like an addict it is a critical part of recovery I wish you the best of luck keep posting and reading the posts......Gnarly
Hey Gnarly, I signed up with a new name VegasGuy / Vegas50.. anyways...So, I went through 4 days of quiting tabs. When I got back to work I started taking them again.  I really want to quit and my main problem is this.  I know Im strong enough to stay off of them, I just need to get through the withdrawel part.  Im a manager, I make 90k per year and I run a call center... my point is, I cant take any time off work.  I have to figure out how to do this and still function at work.  I have read into everything , about how to detox, how to build endorphins, PAWS, ...everything!!! I could easily stop taking them if I didnt have to work...  Do you have any suggestions??  I could maybe take 2 days off plus the weekend.. so 4 days total.  What do you think about the detox part? What I mean is, would colon cleanseing help? Sweating it out? What about the suboxone??  thank you so much for responding and I will now be on here every day!!
Why did you create a new screen name? First off, it is against MedHelp's Terms of Use to do so, and secondly it is near impossible to follow you with more than one name.
DUDE welcome back sorry to still here you on the pills but so goes addiction muy advise to you is pull a long weekend like take a thru and fri off +sat and sun stop taking the pills on wen
the withdrawals should hit hard thr fri sat  sun you should start to come around mon you'll be ruff but workable and you should get better from there your still going to get hit with the energy crash and its going to be a few weeks b/4 you starting to feel good again but unless your willing to take a leave of absences this is all I got for you...and theres a lot that can go wrong with that plan but it has worked for others will do our best to hold you up on this end just know you coming off a pritty hard habit and those dont let go ezaly....I would work on getting close to God before and during this thing....it helped me an awful lot good luck and God bless....Gnarly......let me know when your going to do this....message me im puting 60hr weeks in at work I want to be there for you.....good luck    
Alright buddy, I want to start by thanking you for helping me and gor the support... Thank you!! So this is it, Im f-ing done with the tabs! I dont crave the high in any way, I just cant be sick at work. Here is my plan and if you could add anything or give me support it would be much appreciated. I will log in everyday now. The first thing I did was tell my gfriend all about it, she had no idea... I did that on purpose! First I wanted to make sure she is the girl I wanna be with and if she would support me , second is..now I have to quit! She is really supportive and we came up with a plan.  I quit for 2 days, last weekend! My main concern is work, so I took 10 on monday and 8 today. Im doing 6 tommorow then Im done!! I will be hurtin at work thurs/fri... I figure I can tough it out till the weekend. I have a detox kit that I started and I have been working out as well. Do u think the steam room or sweating it out is possible??? Do u think the detox kit I bought from Cvs will help??  Thank u so much for the help and support!!!
HI  well alright im off on thur and fri so I should be able to support you a bit keep in mind the REAL withdrawals start around 12 hr after your last dose and will get worst for the first 24 hrs
then it is just about feeling miserable for a few days....yuor going to need aftercare or your going to wind up back here in the same boat in a few months DONT SKIP THIS CRITICAL STEP everyone on this boaqrd with any amout of clean time uses some form of aftercare
the physical withdrawal will seam like a breeze compared to the mental mindscrew of this whole thing it is the mental part that causes you to cave.....will work with you hang in there and I will look for you on thursday good luck and God bless......Gnarly  
Day 1 Buddy... I think weening off a lil is gonna help. I worked out this morning and I play softball tonight. I trying to keep my mind occupied and not let this affect me.