Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Need some advice about starting NA

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Need some advice about starting NA

Hi.
I have posted before, but I will give a brief update. I am day three of WD from Norco and Percocet 10-15 tabs a day for about two plus years. I should say, I am suffering from WD, hoping tomorrow will be better. I have been having a really bad time with the WD symptoms. My question is about NA. At first I didnt want to go to a meeting, because I was afraid people from this small town would recognize me, which I thought would "blow my cover". I now think I need to come out of the dark and into reality, and face this problem head on. I would like to go to a group. Are they open to newcomers? Do you go as often as you need, or on a schedule with the same people? I do worry about privacy. I know nothing is guarenteed, but I wouldn't ever discuss seeing someone there, is anonimity expected? I saw a meeting tonight at our local Recovery center, but the WD was so bad, I didn't go. Thanks for the info. Anything you can tell me about NA would be appreciated. If there is no NA meeting, can you go to AA if you aren't an alcoholic?
Tracy
You dont have to be an alcoholic to be welcomed at AA.   Check out the NA site online for history and familiarization......
Hi there! It's great to see that you are looking into a program. You won't regret it. About NA, they are always open to a newcomer. Actually, the newcomer is the MOST important person and you will be welcomed with open arms. Yes, you can go as often as you need and unless you are court mandated, there is no schedule on how often or not you'd go. Also, I live in a small town and I know how you feel about "blowing your cover" but as with any 12 step program, your anonimity is protected. I was actually surprised and relieved to see people that I knew in my everyday life there. It blew my mind that "they" could have the same problem that I had and that these people ( the NA group) weren't out screaming it from the roof tops or posting it in the newspaper simply because it is a small town and usually NOTHING is a secret. In NA, we have somewhat of a comrodery and we want to protect each other and I'm sure yours will prove to be the same. I've never felt more at hom in my life than when I'm with the people that understand me, my fellow addicts at NA , AA, or Celebrate Recovery. Also, for me, when I felt awful, especially during withdrawls, going to a meeting made me feel soooo much better because it occupied my mind and I felt as though I was at least making progress rather than laying at home basking in my misery. And as far as AA is concerned, in my experience, I was always welcomed although I'm not an alcoholic. I acknowledge in the meetings that I haven't had problems in the past with alcohol but now that I'm in recovery I cant' drink because it is a mind altering substance an that is what I"m obviously drawn to. You will be welcomed, I promise you that. Good luck and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.
Yes you can go to both I am a member of both programs and get alot out of both of them.Na is a fellowship of men and woman for whom drugs have become a problem,they are people who meet to help each other find a solution instead of living in the problem.The program set me free.I am truly grateful that I found both programs and am learning how to live life clean and also learning tons of things that give me peace. Recovery is not an overnight thing. It is one day at a time and you have to work for it but man is it ever worth. it . Give yourself the best gift of all .Free from isolation and despair.This is which both of the programs have given me..Tools to live life cause when I came to the programs all I knew was getting,using and finding ways and means to get more.when I live the aa and na way I have a daily reprieve from any mind altering substances.I wish you well .Am here if you have anymore questions.
its recomended that addicts attend 90 na meetings in 90 days and that alcoholics attend 90 aa meetings in 90 days
an addict can attend an open aa meeting as long as they address themselves as an alcoholic and only share their problems pertaining to alcohol, i went to aa for years, had to remember to replace opiates with alcohol when i shared, as long as you can identify yourself as an alcoholic and stick with aa's traditions being an addict will not keep you from fitting with the aa program, however if you are like me and get more out of identifying your problems as addiction then na will be a better fit, both programs work and have alot to offer, it comes down to where you want to be, goto both!!
to learn more about this you can read about it online
google these 2 books
na basic text online
aa big book online
I visited lots of NA and AA meetngs...most everyone is cross addicted so either will work for most..if a person is prone to abuse pills then chances r they will abuse alcohol...i landed in AA just cos it was more my type of people there...more comfy...dont judge the first meeting u go to..cos there r tons of meetings in every crook and cranny of every city or town..but often u have to visit several to find ur home..but i learned alot at each and every meeting i have ever attened..none r a waste of time..good for u to be thinking about aftercare..u will get thru this cos u realize what u need to do
Thank you all. I am going to NA tonight. I feel horrible, and it would be an easy reason not to go, but I have too. I appreciate all the support. I hope it goes ok.
Please, let us know how it went. I'm very excited for you. I'm very active in AA and NA..so, let me know if I can be of any help.
Well, I went to my first NA meeting tonight. I was shaking out of my skin, from WD and nerves, but once I spoke (for thirty seconds) and heard myself announce myself as an addict I felt better. By the time I left I felt better. I will have to shop around, and try other meetings because I would like to find the right fit. I am proud of myself for going. Tomorrow I plan to go back...wish me luck sleeping, and making it to day 5.
Tracy
thats great, people who attend meetings have a better success rate
keep coming back