Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Neurontin/Gabapentin for W/D

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Neurontin/Gabapentin for W/D

Hi everyone,
I'm withdrawing from Oxycodone/Percocet right now (10 mg 6-7 a day for 5 years)
I'm using neurontin to help with w/d. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using this med for w/d?  Like dosage, how long you took it, things like that. It's helping a lot but it's only been a couple days and I hate the way I feel, I want to take a pill so had and I'm telling myself to just push through this and soon I'll feel better but to be honest I'm feeling pretty hopeless. I feel like I'm never going to feel ok or "normal" again! Anyway any advice or personal stories on neurontin would be helpful. Thanks so much!
I dont have a lot of experience using neurontin for withdrawal symptoms, but I did take it once when I was weening off Subs.  The Dr. gave it to me for RLS.  It made me feel so dopy and slugglish that I had to stop using it.  He told me that I'd get use to it after awhile, but I just couldnt push through til then.  I know ppl at my work who use it for leg pain and some just use it to get a speed type buzz.  So I just want to say "be careful", because Neurontin can be addictive as well.  A gentleman I know of was on it for years.  He abused it though.(took 8-10 pills a day).  He tryed stopping once and was on the couch W/D for 6 days and then finally gave in and started taking it again.  He would Dr. hop in order to feed his Neurontin addiction.  Please, just be careful and use it ONLY if needed.  It is good for RLS and achy legs....thats about it.  It wont ease your other W/D symptoms.  I pray that you stick with getting sober because its well worth it when it all over.  5 years is a long long time to be on this drug and trust me, I know what its like coming off of narcs.  But you can do it.  One day at a time, with the help of God!!!  Best, Ellen
Hi & Welcome! Congratulations on your decision. What day are you on now? Also, is the Neurontin helping you sleep? If the pills are still in the house it would make it so much easier on you to either flush them or have someone else do it for you. You can do this. Stay with us. We're here!

I agree with Annie.   Get the oxys out of the house!   When I was coming off fentanyl and oxycodone,  my dr put me on Clonidine,  a blood pressure med, but very effective.   Look it up on the net.  Ask your dr to put you on it for a week or two. I only took it 1 week, felt so much better!! I now take 4800 mgs neurontin daily...failed back surgery,  severe leg pain.  Its not going to help with withdrawal.   Believe me.   Its for nerve pain...and will leave you sluggish.

Good luck and congrats on your decision to stop.
Cindy