Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Neurontin and w/d and depression?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Neurontin and w/d and depression?

Does anyone know the answers to the following questions: 1) Is it true that Neurontin helps with w/d symptoms
and 2)  Does Neurontin help with depression?
Curious...friend was put on it for these reasons...but I took it for migraine prevention...
I have read that it can help withdrawl (withdrawal). And they do prescribe it for major depression. My mom takes it for a nerve issue she has. It has many off label uses. I believe it is a anti depressant first and foremost though..  check out  crazymeds.org  and do a search for it..
Thanks for your response! How are you doing?
I am well.. waiting to do my Suboxone taper this week to get off these damn pills for once and for all..  
Yaaaay! You'll do it! Don't you have a new husband? So basically, you have a wonderful future ahead of you...pill free. Congrats. Don't be nervous...try, really try, to channel that nervousness into excitement. It's so worth it. If you don't already know, I've been clean since December, and I swear, it's the best thing I ever did. The painkillers had stopped making me high, but I had to take them to feel normal. Well, thats not entirely true. They still gave me a buzz, but not the high they used to. Although I don't experience the buzz anymore in day to day life, I dont have the lows anymore either, and I just feel so much healthier. It'll be the best thing you ever did.
Just so everyone knows, I do mention alot that I've been clean since December, but it's ONLY to let you all know how AWSOME it feels to be clean...not to rub in anyone's face. It took me try after try after try to get there...and I'm not above chances of relapse, I'm only human, but it just feels to good! I can't wait for those of you who are quitting or in w/d to feel everyday life as I do...clear headed and happy! !
FLaddict...I am so proud of you for getting ready to do this. I can't wait to read your day to day posts about how you're doing.
I can't wait to be making those posts... I really can't.. Thanks for the encouragment.. Hubby is quite excited about all of this.. so I guess I am too.
Hi dear:  Chrosty is correct.  Neurontin is an antiseizure medicine.  It is has been prescribed for a long time for those with epilepsy but now it is being used to help control the debilitating nerve pain that some people get.  I know about this because it was at one time prescribed for the nerve pains in my legs.  I have never, ever heard of it being used an an antidepressant and never heard of it helping with w/ds.  Although it might help those floppy legs we get at night in early withdrawal when we go to bed, but that is just a guess on my part.
Good luck,
Yoda
It is actually an anti seizure medication i think if i rem right. I give it out at the nursing home alot use it for pain. Just an fyi luv to all chros
I am sooooo glad hubby is so supportive....mine was too. I feel so bad when I hear that people can't confide in spouse or that spouse isn't there to help...Don't know anything about sub drug but know it's used to help w/d's. Not sure if you will even feel w/d on that drug, but if you do....PLEASE stick with it, because it'll be the best thing you've ever done!!! Promise. Although for a month or so you may not think so, lol!!!
Yes, I was prescribed neurontin about 4 years ago for my nerve pain in my lower back.  It's awful for any other kind of pain but awesome for nerve pain and also they use it for seizures.  I don't know of any other uses.  This is the first I've heard of it being used for anxiety.  It wasn't listed as a use for anxiety on the label at all.  Hugz, Lil.
My wife brought some home for me when I started my c/t. It seemed to help with the aches and pains. I also noticed it had a calming effect and helped with sleeping. It used to be used for seizures and now is used for pinched nerves and back issues. I take one in the morning and 2 at night. I don't feel buzzed or anything, I just feel a little bit relaxed. Hope this helps.

Tim
I took Neurontin for 5 years. Started at 100mg up to 800mg 3 x day.
I was put on it because of my diabetic pain and continued it for back pain.
When my Dr. took me off of it I begain to have seizures. I had never had seizures before in my life. So now my Dr. has me on Lycra. I am told it is basically like Neurontin with out the suicide tendancys and seizure with draws.
I have been taking neurontin for a year.  It helps with my anxiety, my nerve pain, my tinnitis, my back and helps me sleep.  It is a miracle drug to me.