Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Neurontin for Chronic Pain

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Neurontin for Chronic Pain

I was curious about Neurontin.  I have been told that this medicine is good for Chronic Pain. I know it is also for use with people that have seizures.  Could someone tell me how Neurontin has helped or hurt them.  I have been taking it at night 300mg small dose for sleep and Chronic Pain.  I dont want to go to a higher dosage until I research more.  My doctor says this is a good helpful medicine.  I just want to get more input.
Thank you very much for your help.  Shelly.
After my pain started following a car accident I was placed on Neurontin.  I didn't notice any effect at all in my case, so I got off of it.  I also wanted to know more so I did some research on the net (just put neurontin in any search engine you'll get lots of hits).  It appears to work for pain by increasing your pain threshold.  I don't recall any "bad" side effects listed.  Also, Neurontin goes by the chemical name gaba pectin.
sorry to break in on this thread, but I could't post a new question. I ran out of my lortabs last night and I have been without all day. I feel like hell. I'm shaky, clammy,depressed and cranky. By the way, I too was given Neurontin and like Joe, I didn't notice any difference. My doctor gave it to me for nerve pain and he pointed out that it was "non addicting." I took one that night and never noticed anything. The pain was still there. I read about it on the internet and read that it was for seizers...so i stopped taking it. when i had my next appointment i mentioned that i read on the internet that it was for seizers and I had stopped taking it. I got a royal ass chewing from my doctor about using the internet to diagnose mysef. So he changed my doasage to 3 per day instead of just one at night. still I don't notice anything different. i also have some robaxin that don't me a bit of good either. The next few days will be hell for me. ok, thanks for listening.
lortab withdrawal -- been there, done that a million times. I empathize with your situation.

Valium or a valium class drug like Xanax can help you make it through the withdrawal. If you don't have access, Valerian Root extract from the health food store is very valium-like in its effect.

Take hot baths or jacuzzis for the muscle aches.

Take Immodium for the runs.

That's about all you can do, but this is the tried and true way to ease the withdrawal to a bearable level.

Take care. Post some more here if you want to talk.
Don't apologize for the questions. We all come here to communicate our plights and commiserate and offer whatever help to each other we have to give.

Yeah, 30 years and counting. I was in my late teens when I took my first opioid drug. In fact, that first one was the old Darvon Compound 65. They talk about genetic predispositions for addictions of one sort or the other. Well, up til then, I had been one of those high school kids who looked down on friends who were getting stoned, etc. I was even arrogant about "not needing any of that stuff." One night came, and, after reading a really very anti-drug story, for one reason or another, I took two Darvon and went to bed. When that stuff hit my brain, I was never the same again. I had what seemed to me to be a mystical, out of body experience. It was so intense that I of course did it again and again, etc. From that moment on, I was an opiate addict. It was almost like falling in love or having a religious conversion. I have never felt whole without opiates since. I have been through all the usual rehabs, programs, jails, etc. but it's as if to stop is to die for me. The fact that it started with Darvon is purely coincidental.

I use darvon 65 (the plain pink ones) because they are just propoxyphene without any Tylenol or asprin. But in the last thirty years, I have been on every rx opiate in the book, the stronger the better. I had a 10-year affair with hydrocodone (lortab, vicodin, etc.) which almost killed me. At one point, I was using 75 vicodin a day (seventy-five). I would process the stuff to remove the Tylenol, which is probably why I'm still alive.

I use darvon now for several reasons. It's actually quite a weak opioid as opioid drugs go. Ironically, it's chemically related to methadone. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide the same benefits of methadone maintenance. But I have a close relationship with a doctor, not a doc feel good, but a real doctor, and I have three bad disks in my back (with surgery a few years ago). Equipped with the bad-back documentation, my doctor finds it easy to provide me with as much Darvon as I want. I occasionally hit him up for Vicodin and OxyContin (boy, stay away from that one - it's WAY TOO good).

Like you, I have to work a demanding job. I have decided to get help which is not yet available in the form I want. You can get bup in California if you enter the right detox program. However, doctors may be able to prescribe it to treat opiate dependence in a private medical setting soon. That is what I want.

For a number of reasons, I cannot take a month off from the world and commit myself to an in-house detox where I could get the bup now. I also can't risk exposure in my profession, so I'm hanging in there for that private treatment legislation to go through. It may happen soon, it may not. The addiction pros I talk to don't even know the status of this legislation. If I had time, I might go out of state to get the bup, as several posters on this forum have done.

I stick with the Darvon, not because it imparts a particularly good opioid high, but because I find I can use it and still show up for work and participate in my family life - two things I wouldn't be doing if I were on lortabs or oxy's all the time. So, it's practical in a way.

As for addiction from it, I see no reason why it wouldn't be just as addicting as lortabs. It was, after all, the drug that started it all for me. Withdrawal from Darvon, believe it or not, I've found to be worse by far than withdrawal from lortabs. I would not steer you toward it for that reason. Darvon has just worked out to be my maintenance drug while I arrange a real recovery for myself. There is a theory that long-time users like me are now "endorphine challenged" and cannot produce the natural substances that the drugs imitate. If this is true, methadone maintenance my be my only real hope. Years before I ever heard the term endorphin challenged, I knew there was something missing in me when I was without the opiate or opioid drugs in my system. I truly perceive opiates as one would a life saving drug. I hope it's not the case, but I'll have to wait a little before finding out.

You know, after 7 days off the lortabs, you'll be pretty much over the worst of the detox. If you were serious about recovery you might think of seeking some kind of program then. Getting hooked up with therapy or an AA/NA program is a lot simpler if you're already detoxed.

As far as getting through the next seven days, well, I'd use the coping tips I left on the other post. Make sure you've got the imodium (immodium) on hand at work if the runs set in. It's going to be hard getting through the day and even harder getting through the night. Remember the valium or Valerian Root and take all the hot baths you can stand at night for the muscle aches. They're really quite effective. You'll have no energy at work, either, but caffeine might get you through.

For you now, switching from a lortab to a darvon addiction wouldn't accomplish much. As I said, withdrawal from a heavy darvon habit sucks. The Darvocet would also contain the Tylenol that the lortab has, which would not improve the situation.

I'm sorry I don't have more info on the buprenorphine legislation. I'm in the dark like you. But I'm hopeful after some new methadone regulations take effect in March, making it easier for doctors to become authorized to dispense methadone, the bup law changes might be pushed forward a bit. Like I said, you can get the bup detox now in California but only in a full-fledged in-house drug treatment program and some university studies. I wish I had the freedom to take time off and go to a real detox unit to get started. But I can't get off the career merrygo 'round right now to make that possible. So, I maintain, try to find out what I can, and wait.

One thing you can do, look up the Matrix Center http://www.matrixcenter.com/researchers.html
You may be in a situation where they could help you with even buprenorphine right now. But we're talking programs and studies, so you have to have the time and some money to use them. But the Matrix Center is a good source for treatment program options and links to other sources.

I hope this answered your questions and you find the answer you seek. Take care.

yes, Neurontin is for seizures, pain, anti-anxiety. It gives some tiredness but is a very usefull drug to control seizures. I am going back on it to control my seizures. The Klonopin is not enough.
Hi Tom, thanks for responding....I was wondering what happened to everyone! Tom, I went back and read some old posts. I was trying to get everyones story straight. If you don't mind answering a couple questions for me?? First...if I read correctly you said you have been addicted for 30 years? And now you are taking darvon and are hoping that buprenorphine will be allowed in Calif soon? I, too am in Calif. You seem to be pretty up to date on all this...do you know how long before buprenorphine will be available here? I mean, is it a possibility or is it something in the real distant future? And about the darvon....is that the same as darvocet but without the acetemiphin (spelling??) And is it less addicting? I need to do something....and soon!!!!! I am off work right now....due to my health (mostly this damn addiction but no one but this board knows that) I need to get back to work soon and I just don't know how I'm going to do that. I'm scared to death. I cannot function without these pills. I still have refills...I can't get them till next Wednesday. This will be the longest 7 days of my life! Tom, any advice, any information, would be greatly appreciated. Is the darvon easier to withdraw from than lortab? What is the reason you are on darvon and not lortab anymore? I'm assuming that you were on lortab at one time because you said "been there done that" so how and why did you make the switch to darvon? I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I'm just trying to get a handle on this? Thanks for your help!
Well, Tom. Here I sit. 2:30 am and haven't slept a wink yet. ****! Thanks for the info. You'll never know how much of a relief it is to know I'm not the only one to get in this mess. You know, reading your post made me think back. I've been thinking this addiction started about 6 years ago...when I first "met" lortab. But I think that I was in trouble way before that. I can remember about 1976...I was a junior in high school and my mom was having "female problems" she came home from the doctor with a bottle of bright pink pills....yeh, you  guessed it! Darvocet!  I used to sneak into the kitchen cabinet where she kept them and pop 1 or 2. Then about 1979, right after I started my first job (which is where I still work) I had my wisdom teeth pulled and I came home with something like 12 percodans. To this day, I've never had those again...not for lack of trying, I might add. Then after I moved out my dad ended up with rheumatoid arthritis and his doctor gave hime tylenol 3's. And again, when I came to visit I would help myself. My poor dad was suffering and I was stealing his pain pills. Geeeeeze! Then about 1990 I got a prescription for Filornal (spelling??) with codeine. My doctor started me on 100 with a couple refills.And he kept giving me refills. I took those up until 1993 when good old Lortab came in the picture. So I guess my problem goes back farther than I had realized. I just don't remember suffering this way ever before. Maybe because I was taking them the right way back then?? "One every 4 to 6 hours as needed for pain." Now the only reason I even read the label is to do the math to see how quickly I can get those suckers refilled. What goes around comes around...now I'm the one with the rheumatoid arthritis...and I'd probably kill someone who came near my pain pills!!!! If I had any! Double ****. So you were up to 75 a day? Did you have a doctor prescibing that many or where you getting them another way? You mentioned jail time?? Did you try and call your own prescription in? The reason I guessed that is because a week or two ago you mentioned something about sitting in your bedroom and if you called in a prescription you could be on your way to jail but there was still no hope for buprenorphine right now.If I'm getting too nosy..just tell me. I guess I'm rambling but now it's 3:00 am and I'm still not going to be able to sleep. I guess tomorrow I'll head to a health food store for some Valerian root. As for now...I guess its back to Nick at Night. Wonderful. Thanks for your support and for answering my questions. I may go back through some more old posts and maybe I won't have to bug you with so many questions. I'm sure you've talked about all this before. Have you guys ever heard anymore from Brian?? When I first found this board about a year ago, he was very active in it. Then I read his post when his wife left and yours and Brighty's and everyone elses concern. But as far as I can see he hasn't showed back up?? Unless I missed it. Ok! Hopefully...good night!
I've been having some major pain issues as of late. Sciatica or pain in my legs and butt. The problem I am having is my doctor not understanding the nature of methadone maintenance. He prescribed hydrcoapap 10/500 mgm. )one q 4 hours. The problem is that 20mgms q 2-3 hours is the only thing that phases the nerve pain I am having. Very little back pain. Just major and horrible leg pain and leg weakness. Just when you think everything is fine in your life a major hurrdle get placed in your path! I quess that is what it's all about. Just keeping stuggling to make ends meet. I councel multiple felony drug offenders and have a huge case load. I was doing fine until this last setback. Words of encouragement needed friends! Anyone out there willing to councel a councelor? ? ~~
                                                                  Anyways my doctor wants to talk to me about the amount of lortabs of I have been taking! Old story. Present tense. I will try to education him about MMT. I shouldn't have to do this. The medical profession DOES not get positive education in regards to treating pain problems period! Well, I will see what my doctor is made of today. He claims he is a christian. Well today I will test his compassion and understanding of medicine and people. The problem is their is only a handfull of doctors worldwide who understand MMT truley. I will bring Dr. J Thomas Paytes dear doctor letter for my defense. And some other education tools. My doctor should pay me for the info I will provide him today at his office. But I will get charged the regular 75.00 for the visit and 25.00 for the depo medrol injection.. With any luck I will get some adequate medicine to treat my pain issues. I am not looking for a high people -- just some medicine to treat my pain. If it is low dose of a stong opiate,than so be it. As an addict I will have to keep my eyes open to the ever lurking disease that I keep in remmission with the help of MMT and 12-step programs. Wish me luck and say a few prayers. My Best to YOU all!      >>"doc" Dan..
I was just wondering if anyone knows about this drug.
Thank you.
Hello and Gods hope to all of you on this Forum. I have read on maney of the other forums and found them to be very cynical and cruel in reply to most of the questions. This Forum is by far the warmest and most compassionate. I have been reading here  for months but have not placed an entry. I have been trying to stop taking Norco 10/325 for about 3 months now. This will be my third attempt cold turky and iam am begining to worry. Iam up to 4-5 aday, always starting around 6pm.I do them for the comforting feeling they give me. I am precsribed 60 amonth for pain in lower back but I take them only for the high. No excuces no blame but to myself. I know this question probabley sounds redundent as to this forum but I would GREATLY appreciate any kind help.Is 4-5 Norco a night concidered a high dosage or habit? Will my withdrawal be severe,moterate ect? Can I stop this on my own(prefered)? I have never had any addictions before Though I drank and took recreation drugs; but this has me scared! I cant seem to put it down. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you as I read on this wonderful sight. No one knows the frustration of addiction unless they have been there. Iam sorry to say I know! Thank you all.  Shane
Hi Shelly. Sorry that your thread got hijacked...it's just so hard to post a new question! Anyway...I too was given Neurotin. I was having tingling and then a bad burning sensation in my leg. I mentioned it to my rheumatoligist and he gave me a bottle of neurotin to try. It was a bottle he had there in his office..someone had returned it because they didn't like it.  Said it knocked them out. Well, I tried it that night and nothing. Couldn't even tell I even took anything. SO my dosage was increased to 3 pills a day. Still nothing. It doesn't make me sleepy and it doesn't seem to help the pain. So thats all I know about it. Not much help, I guess. Take care.
Dan! How did they dr. appointment go???? I'm curious. Been following your posts. Hope you got through to the doctor! Let us know!!
hello, my friend. Sorry to hear of your plight. I just finished re-reading Dr Paytes dear doctor letter. It should function like a litmus test for you, in the sense that your treating physician's reaction to it will probably tell you whether it's worth persevering with him at all. If he's like a lot of the docs referred to in Dr. Paytes letter, his mind is simply closed for good which makes him a dead end for you. Do you have the ability to get a referral by Dr Paytes to a doctor who is educated about MMT? It sounds like you're paying cash to this doc. Why not pay that same cash to a different doctor? Wouldn't NAMA be able to help with a referral? You certainly aren't the first MMT patient to find himself in this predicament. Surely someone before you has had to solve this problem and probably has.
Tell me, are you looking for an increased dose of hydro or something stronger like OxyContin? It seems to me, you'll have to detox off one short-actor when you feel better, so why not detox off oxy? Surely it can't make that big a difference. I always found Vicodin to be limited in its analgesic power, anyway.

I say, if you can, dump this doc if he doesn't "get it" and get a referral through your MMT network to someone who does.

I don't suppose temporarily increasing your methadone dose would help(?)

I face this problem from time to time and always have to find someone to supplement my legit, say, dentist's Vic script. It's almost funny to be handed a 1 q4 h of vics, the dentist telling me to be "very careful about these. They're very powerful" while I'm thinking about how I could literally take 7 or 8 of them at a pop and not be phased.

Does this doc already know about the MMT, or is receiving Dr Paytes letter the first time he's going to be hearing about your disease? His reaction should tell all, in any event.

I feel for you. I've certainly been in your kind of pain a number of times. You may have to call on your old junkie skills for wheedling more drugs out of this guy than he realizes he's giving you. However, from what you say, he's a hard nose. You might have to accept him as a lost cause and seek an MMT-educated referral from your MMT community. I refuse to believe they couldn't or wouldn't help you.

Is this expected to be a short term pain thing or are you in for a long haul with this ailment? I'd be more ruthless about dropping the doc if he can't or won't understand. As much as we respect them, doctors are deliverers of a service. If one fails to deliver satisfactory service, get another one. If your plumber does a lousy job on your pipes you don't hesitate to call another, do you?

I say reach out to your network. They've got to have an answer. Of course, you know I will always be here to talk. You may be in for some suffering, my friend. I just hope it isn't a chronic thing. That changes the picture significantly.

I know it helps to share your pain with your 12-step brothers and sisters. I don't have to tell you that there is healing power in those circles.

Stay in touch. Let us know what happens after you give him the "dear doctor" letter. Like I said, it's a litmus test. If he fails it, drop that guy!

I also know that your spiritual side can help in these times. That serenity prayer has gotten me through some pretty rough stuff. I'm here for you, brother. Keep in touch. Go with god.

your friend,

tom

you guessed it with the jail thing. I actually spent 10 years impersonating doctors, prescribing to ficticious people and then, shudder, walk in and pick them up. I was good at it. I phoned around 3 per week for 10 years. Got caught 3 times. The last was in 1994, and I was sentenced to a 90 day house arrest rehab, which was exactly what I needed. I had come to believe that nothing on earth could make me stop and i would just keep using til I died. I learned a lot through the 90 meetings in 90 days experience, but as you can see, didn't stick it out long after I got out. That is one reason why I think i may need to go the methadone maintenance route. I think 30 yearsof this has put me beyond the cope of conventional rehab and recovery. Ifthat's whatI wind up doing, fine with me. You cannot escape your fate.

Yeah, I'd say from your hitory that you are pre-disposed to opiate use. Opiates, whatever they may be, mimic endorphins which the brain accepts as endorphins. Opiates have a very specific and unique action in the brain, which makes opiate addiction distinct from other addictions. I found people into opiates are interested in nothing else. It's a dubious honor to belong to "the club."

We haven't heard from Brian in a while and just hope he's in a good rehab somewhere and will not lose his medical license (I'm sure you picked up on the fact that Brian is a doctor). He made caring friends of many of us and we still watch the threads hoping to hear some news. Such is the life of the junkie.

At least, on thi site, I have a place to go where i can truly be myself and share my life with people who understand -- the only people who could. Stay in touch. Take care.
I appoligise for breaking the thread on this page. I didnt really know how the question and reply format worked.I am impulsive, and didnt mean to offend.Anyway I was watching a Clint Eastwood movie last night,(Unforgiven)and a young cowboy was feeling bad about killing a man.In response Clint Eastwood said;"ITs a hell of thing killin a man,you take away everything hes got,and everything hes ever gonna have. Same could be said for drug addiction huh! Sincerlly  Shane
I take neurontin for my bi-polar disorder. I take 600mg's twice a day. It controls my mania and is very succesful. I heard it was supposed to help migraines too, but i still get them all the time so I'd say that it isn't a very good pain killer.
I'm worried about you, man. Stay in touch. Talk it out. I'll check for your post before I turn in tonight.
great movie, but I disagree with you're analogy. A bullet is final. With us drug addicts, there is always a path to redemption. Walking it is tough, but it's there, shane. The sun also rises.
Shane, allow me to tell you what lies ahead. I don't need to know anything more about you to predict this.

You're tolerance for the hydrocodone will rapidly increase. You'll start doubling up on doses. You'll use whatever stories or ploys you can think of to increase the amount the doc gives you or get refills early (I'm working out of state for my company and won't be here when I would normally refill my pills. Therefore, please give me my refill now. -- that one works on some pharmacists but not on others. Only try it with a private mom and pop pharmacy. They are under a lot less scrutiny than, say, Walgreens pharmacists, and, frankly, need all the sales they can get to stay in business).

Anyway, Shane, the idea is escalation. You'll need more, more often. If exaggerating your condition to your doctor doesn't convince him to increase the amount prescribed, you'll start thumbing through the yellow pages for the Walk-ins. You'll go to a few of those and initially succeed in getting more drugs. But that has a short half-life. Most walk-ins assume you're going to go back to your regular doctor for refills and consequently won't give you many refills, if any.

I fully identify with your situation as far as not being able to tell your wife. You're from a normal, upstanding family that you believe won't accept or understand your using drugs like this. You're worried that you'll lose they're respect and love.

I know about this. For many years, I kept it all secret from my family, convincing them (and the docs) that I just had a hell of a lot of pain. They'd shake their heads in sympathy - "Oh, how is poor Tom doing with those terrible headaches? I wish I knew how to help him. But I guess his doctor knows what he's doing."

The point is, you're "secret" will come spilling out one day when you're caught double-doctoring by a pharmacy or by your medical insurance (or your wife reading rx labels). If you're story gets as bad as mine, you're whole family will find out about your habit when you're led away in handcuffs for rx forgery. Everyone will be shocked. "Normies," that is, people who by some stroke of luck just don't have addictive personalities, simply won't have anything in their personal history to help them understand what you're doing, why you can't "just stop."

As AA teaches (expect to be attending some meetings soon), secrecy keeps the disease alive. It allows it to progress until you do something so blatant that everyone finds out. Take are.

Later, you'll discover that more people "knew" than you might ever have thought.

I guess I don't have to tell you that you won't defeat this problem by yourself. At some point, you'll have to ask for medical help. Just do it before you find yourself in handcuffs somewhere. It can all happen -- and will. Take care.
Thanx for the concern Tom. But my doctor came through with some adequate pain medicine.                                           I produced the dear doctor letter and he seemed to understand MMT a little better. He seemed to understand it was just high tolerances that he is dealing with. He still expressed his concerns in prescribing a high dose of a narcotic. He asked what will I do if I become addicted again. I explained that my methadone dose does not allow me to get high on the drug. My dose of methadone will stop withdrawals and cravings. It will only provide pain releif. The DR. will only provide two weeks of pain management, and then if I am not better I will have to see a neurolgist. I quess I am fine with this.                           Of course when I got the medicine I tested it. Sure enough-no high. I am happy about this because a high would have made my disease present again. I got some pain relief yesterday,but do not intend to try that dose again because I feel drained today. I tested my methadone and it still works. Thank my higher power!      Well,I bet you all are wondering what medicine he prescribed.
He said that he will not prescribe any schedule two opiates. I am fine with that. I told him I did not want Oxycontin right off the bat! I will suffer before I take that life ruiner! We discussed tylenol containing drugs and we both agreed that tylenol is not good for the liver and should not be in a medicine that is to be taken regularly. A liquid containing 5mgm's of hydrocodone and 100mgms quaifenisen per teaspoon. NO tylenol. Four teaspoonsful(20mg) q six hours. Thirty mgm's works better. But I will settle with 20mgm's. Our doctors are concerned with what the DEA thinks,I am sure. Six teaspoonfuls or one ounce q six hours would have definitely red flagged that RX. This is a shame, but that is the way it is, whether we like it or not! What I just mentioned is an entirely different issue which I do not have time to discuss here my friends!                                        So far so good! No high just a little pain relief! Well people things worked out for me so far. I am lucky I have a caring and understanding doctor. The pain relief starts running out after 3-4 hours but I can handle it until the next dose. Bye for now and best wishes to all!
Your Friend,
Dan..
ps: I did not have time to proof my post so xcuse any mistakes in grammar or spelling. Dan..
Hello Tom, Yes I guess the Unforgiven quote was a bit Fatalistic. Theres always hope.Again I appologise for the intrusion but I am very concerned about my problem with Norco and have No one to relate to. I want to stop and cant tell my wife,she would be so hurt.I needed to know how deep I was in from someone who has been through it.It would help greatly if I knew what lay ahead of me. Anyway thanks again. Shane
Thanks Bozz, I appreciate you taking the time to tell me your experience.
Shelly
Tom,thanks for your reply.I think your analogy is probably very accurate. I know I need to stop. I tried and failed and this time I would like to make it. I wont bother you you again but could help me with this. If I am Taking 4 to five 10/325 Norco every evening ,how difficut will the withdrawal be? Am I very far into it at that amount? THank very much.  Shane

no, Shane, 4 or 5 a night (with none during the day) does not put you very far into it. But it's all relative. Quitting will be hard all the same.
The physical can be dealt with simply:
If you can taper, do so slowly and you won't experience too much discomfort.
Quit cold turkey is the other option. It requires that you take, say, four days off from the world, though. Using a benzo like Valium can help a lot for the anxiety. Hot baths or jacuzzis can relieve the muscle cramps. If you don't have access to some Valium or Xanax as such, Valerian Root from the health food store has some Valium-like qualities and will help you sleep.
You may experience the runs, so I'd go to the supermarket and pick up some brand name Imodium (immodium). If the runs come, take two, don't fool around with half measures or they'll keep coming.

The psychological aspect is your real challenge. There are answers for that at AA. I recommend AA over NA for someone like you. NA meetings might not be as emotionally accessible as AA. Don't get caught up in which drug you use. Addiction is addiction. Get a copy of the big book and read the biographies. You'll find yours there right next to mine. Good luck.
How people can give advice on how to get off of opiates when they cannot get off themselves. It just doesn't make since! I do not care how long you been on opiates. How can anyone take you serious, when the system did not work for you?
you know, you're right. Thanks for setting me straight. I won't take up space on these threads any more. I'll let you take over. I'll finish this post now so that you can get started. I'm sure everyone will be much better off in your hands. Thanks again. Goodbye.
This advice offers hope to some people! In that respect it serves a purpose. These people may have failed many times. But who knows the next attempt may be the one that takes. "Don't get it",unless you have an option. Get Lost! Do not let these anonymus posters get your goat my friend. You are an asset here!
Dan..
I'm not here to defend Tom because he can do a better job of it himself.  I don't want him to leave this forum because of your callous remarks however.

Most of us believe that addition is a disease that can take away our lives as quickly as any other fatal illness.  If I was to be given advice by a person suffering from cancer,  I would not consider him silly because he had not responded to all the medical treatments to cure him. We are here to offer our experience, hope and comfort to fellow sufferers in this illness-that's all.  Why not make a trip to your local hospital today and rant and rave at all the sick people there.  They will surely make room for you there, too...in a padded cell.

I just want to commend all of us who have tried to lead normal lives, raise families and become successes in spite of all this grief caused by addiction.  We really are some good people here and worthy of respect!
Tom, Thanks for taking time to answear my concerns. It really helps to know. I know I have to stop this now. It is is a shame though,I find somthing to escape the bullshit for awhile, and I can't have it. thanks again, and please disregard the rude remark I read above, your helping people from your experience.That helps you and it help others. Best of luck,  Shane

Neurontin is a good drug for anti-convulsant activity especially partial type seizures.

It also controls OCD, Bi-Polar, Anxiety and Neurologic Pain somewhat. It has very little side effects accept for tiredness depending on the dosage.

The higher the dosage, the more the fatigue or sleepiness.

I have taken it and am going back on it after my eye surgery is completed. It is a drug that you should not go off of cold turkey because it is an (anti-convulsant) and it may cause a (seizure) if you take it a while and then stop it abruptly.
I took neutontin for my headache which started after a benzo and alcohol withdrawal about 20 years ago. It does help the pain, but it didn't cure anything. In fact, I felt more out of control and more panic attacks ensued. So I stopped at about 600 mg. But I may start a low dose again. This Gaba thing really has me wondering if I should not just get a bottle of Gaba and take just that after I taper off Klonopin....and not use the neurontin or the other drugs...I do see a doctor tomorrow. They all like the pills rather than the amino acids and minerals and herbal stuff it seems.
It's so amazing how one gets into these messes. I am on my 2nd day off a 10-11 lortab 10 7year cycle.Iam in astate of mind of loosing it... I have nobody to turn to or talk to and going through some pretty heavy withdrawalls. Is there smeone out there who can help me. I am so so alone
Thanks,
mike
Thanks,
mike
What goood is 6 year old info? Where is any more current info?
Goodness!  Your question about Nerontin went all over the place.  Here is what I saw happen to my son.  When he was completely off Methadon and then Suboxone and facing horrible withdrawal symptoms, his psychiatrist prescribed Neurontin (100mg capsules).  Almost immediately, his deep shakin' quakin' anxiety slowed down.  The dose varied but now he is taking 2 capsules 3X a day along with other meds and a whole lot of supplements.  Little by little (and I mean little by little, 'cause it is hard to see progress when you are still feeling like "....," he says), he is getting better.  Good luck and God bless, Sparkle
I don't mean to offend anyone here at all, I just wanted to let you all know that the posts about oxycontin being a life killer is absolutely true.  I am an addict to opiates.  Eight years ago, I almost died from oxycontin withdrawal.  I had to be placed in a drug induced coma when my blood pressure spiked to a life threatening level.  I think it was like 210/140 or something like that.  I almost lost my life, and my children (one of which was only 5 months old at the time) almost lost their mommy.  It is an EXTREMELY dangerous drug, and I'll never go back to it.  Anyway, thanks for reading.  Once again, I didn't mean to offend.  I am new at this.  Thanks.

Sheri69
I read this thread for the neurontin and learned so much about opiate addiction too.  I think the more input we get about the trouble others have faced and tried (sometimes again and again) to persevere the more we learn about what we may need to avoid.  It is so easy when I am in pain to think I may need more than the elavil, neurontin or tylenol and reading all of this makes me know I need to try if possible to make do with what I can handle.  I admire all of you courageous people that are trying to get off of the opiates.  At least you see a problem and are trying to correct it.  I think of the Led Zepplin song Stairway to Heaven where they say that there are two paths you can go by but in the long run, there's still time to change the road your on.  
Wow!!!I I had no idea that inputing Neurontin would take me down this path. I suffer from the same disease that you all do. It is like once you take an opiod, your hooked for life. I had surgery and got addicted to heavy pain medications. It started with Hydro, then Oxy, then Morphine, and on to Diluadid, and finally Methadone. After surgery my pain management Doctor said, "we need to get you off these medications and sent me to a Doctor that perscribed Suboxone. The Suboxone is a life saving medication and from what I have seen and tried, it is the only way to successfully kick the Opiate addiction. However, I went to the ER after a fall this week and was given a shot of Diluadid and sent home with some Vic. After running out of the Vic, I went to the local Primacare and told them I was in severe pain. I was perscribed 10 Vic's. I know in my heart that I will call them on monday and try to get a refill. I need advice from people who know what this feels like. I want to get back on the meds so bad. Then I remember how hard it was and I just want to sit here and cry. Any advice?  It is like that one person said....yes there are two paths you can go down, but in the long run, theres still time to change the road you are on...... I need support !!! I don't know which road to go down. It's a choice that can change my life forever.
I was on neurontin for quite a while due to tremors following a stroke.  I was taking 3 a day, and had absolutely no trouble getting off them (cold turkey).  My problem is I like the opiates.  I was hooked on Lortab for quite a while and went CT, horrible withdrawal, and now through my own stupidity I accepted Norco from my specialist.  Only thing is, I don't feel a thing even when I take two at a time.  They contain codeine and I'm just curious as to why I feel NOTHING.  But as I posted just a few minutes ago, maybe it's better I DON'T get any good feelings from them.  Oh, this addiction thing is awful - I just started the Norco so maybe I can quit without withdrawal.  Oh, I'd been on Darvocet for about 6 months, had NO trouble getting off them, thank God.  How do we get involved in this?  I'm an OLD LADY by the way!
5 months ago I suffered from cervical radiculopathy causing me severe left upper back and arm pain with slight numbness in my fingers. I was prescribed pain killers and diazepam for a short while and had gone through intensive physiotherapy (more than 40 sessions). The pain is much better but still there. The MRI report shows damage to cervical disc 5-6. And now I have been prescribed Neurontin for pain - 300mg night time single dose for 1 month. If it doesn't help than I can increase it to 2 doses a day. After a month my doctors says we may reduce the dosage. It's only been a day since I'm taking the drug and am feeling a bit tired. Will keep you posted with my progress with the drug.
Hi, My name is Jessica, I Have been on lortab 10 mgs 4x daily for six years. I also have been prescribed ativan 2 mgs 3x's daily for anxiety. The combo of these drugs mentioned are wonderful. They are sooo addicting... I don't have the addiction to ativan, simply because I like the energy I get from lortab. Im not sure if its because it stops my pain or because I like it, I def. like getting off my butt and getting things done. I have been taking Neurontin for five months. I don't take the small dosage that most have mentioned, I take 600 mgs three times a day... I absolutely love it. As for addiction to Neurontin, Don't believe its not addictive.... I can absolutely stop taking Lortab as long as I have Neurontin. I take Neurontin for fibromyalgia , numerous soft tissue disorders and blah... they all go hand in hand. I used Tom's rec. to detox off Lortab , I now only take ONE ten mg a day... I was up to six per day.. Obviously over my written precription lol...The thread was about Neurontin, anything that makes you feel good can become a dependency drug , Is that bad? I dont think so. Moderation is the Key to handeling any medical problem. I find the cocktail that works for me.. we are all different. Try not to over take your medicine. Also remember the Detox process is NASTY, Your prescription is up to the docs.. They can decide to NOT write it again, keep that in mind also. I had rather decide not to take something than for someone else to decide it LOL...Just remember its quality of life!
I fell on a cement patio almost two years ago.  The pain just got worse and worse.  Had MRI's bone scans, xrays, physical therapy, you name it.  Tried nerve ablation on lower back nerves, lived on Norco for over 1 1/2 (luckily not addicted).  Tried Lyrica with major side affects (back felt great, so much pain in right arm couldnt move).  Tried Zoloft, Celexa with major headaches.  Visited a neurologist he suspects nerve, soft tissue damage (really, why couldnt any other doctor diagnose this problem?)  Anyway, Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) has really helped me a lot.  Still cannot sit in a chair for more than ten minutes due to soft tissue damage, but most of the day the pain is very minimal.  Do have to take a few rests during the day but at least my mood is much better, I feel more relaxed and am not crying all the time due to pain.  I do get a slight headache when the drug is wearing off.  I am only on 300 ml a day.  Some people are taking 1200 ml for pain (I feel sorry for their pain and suffering).  At least try the drug since it is not addictive.  Do have your kidneys checked a few months after taking since it does not go thru the liver and is flushed out thru kidneys.  Good luck
you are not alone mike. there are many of us just like you. I, and many others have been exactly where you are right now. No one gets here with the intent to become an addict, but it happens to alot of good people. It was not my intent to be in this situation,yet I am. For me , it started with a pinched sciatic nerve,  Lorcet 10/650 1q 4-6hrs daily,surgery to relieve the pressure on the nerve then Meperghan 100mg q 4 prn after surgery. it helped for about 4 yrs, then scar tissue took over pressure on the nerve and it has been a never ending battle with various opiates and synthetics every since. Was as high as 240 mg. Ocontin at 1 time, got scared of it, switched to methadone 65 mg a day. I finally had enough of that this past december, quit cold, I wouldnt recommend that for anyone else,felt like I was dying, wished for it, but it didnt happen. I finally got into an addiction specialist who currently has me on perc 10/325 3X daily Xanax 2mg. 3X daily Neurontin 300mg. 3X daily Lexapro 20mg. 1X daily Restoril 60 mg. at bedtime. Unfortunately you cant function very well with all that in your system and I told the doc that. His reply to me was this all started in 93 and I didnt get where I am overnight therefore coming back overnight was entirely out of the question. His plan is to reduce dosages over time, I guess its a plan, its the only one I have, so for now I do what he says, I pray alot, and hope that all this will go away before I die in a RX induced haze. Just Remember there are alot of us like you and worse out here, they just dont fess up to it. Regardless of how you got here, Recreationally or otherwise, YOU ARE NOT ALONE in this mess, we are all connected to each other in one way or another and Jesus Forgives!
I read somewhere that the more nueronrin you take the less it works. I have just acquired some to help with the restless leg issues from vicodin tapering, don't know if they work yet.
this is the first time reading all this i am 38 have heart trouble diabetic nueropothy and l4 l5 discs are deteriorating rapidly also 7 surgeries on back i am currently on 40 mg oxycotin 2 timesdaily nuerontin 600mg a day cymbalta 30mg 2 a day and a fentanyl pain patch 60 mg a day and i cant get approved for disability i cant function with all these meds im losin my house cause i cant work cant get unemployment and am ready to kill myself cause i cant care for my 2 kids my mom takes care of them oh yeah and im a single dad in ohio just need some advice or just to talk bout this i feel like god is punishing me with all of this and am goin nuts
God is a forgiving God, we do not know why we have our trials but I plan on asking when I see him, I will save a place in line for you to ask too...  I am on Lyrica for post perhiptic nueralgia (siatica nerve pain from shingles). I took Nuerontin and found out that Lyrica works best for me. My pain Dr and I have to change it up now and again deciding upon how my pain level is. I have never heard the more you take the less it works. As a pharmacy Tech the lowest does that works for you is the best one. If you go  to a pain Dr and you trust him let him decide, if you are like  I am I have to research everything and I want to be included in all my medication decisions. the one time I was not I ended up on to much Vicoden. So good  luck and prayers to you,
I think you should start a new post. This one is from 2001. More people will advise and offer support if you do this. I can't advise you on this..I'm pretty new here, but I do feel your pain..and maybe you can taper down some of these meds and apply again for SSDI. Just keep posting..I'll be lookin out for ya!
I take four 400mg pills of Neurontin every day.  It takes a few days for them to get in your system.  I am 26 and I have fibro myalgia.  This is THE BEST medicine I have found.  I absolutely love it.  It may not be physically addictive, but it has been psychologically addictive for me.  I love the mild "high".  It puts me in the absolute best mood ever.  I do have side effects:  I feel like I'm floating in the clouds, I become very talkative, I am extremely HAPPY, and I feel RELAXED completely.  I think Neurontin is for a very specific type of nerve pain, and it's been a sanity saver for me!  :)
It helps with my pain better than any narcotic.  I love it.
-Jennifer
have u ever herd of suboxone it saved my life i was a pill user turned into a heroin  addict for 5 yrs then i found a doctor that put me on suboxone its buprenorphine/naloxone it truley has helped me stay clean off everything besides Neurontin
i am also taking Neurontin   900 mg 4 times a day and suboxone 2mg 4 times a day and a energy drink ive noticed helped the Neurontin  kick in better and i agree w u they make me happy good mood lotz of energy been on them for a yr now and your right they make me very talkitive hehe i was wondering when  u take them and u dont move around and start doing stuff and stay sitting down do they make u pass out?  i do no i just ran out cuz im switching insurances and i feel like crap
I was just put on neurontin for a severely broken jaw that left me in terrible pain on thwe whole right side of face cheek to chin.  I take 2 a day and I noticed a difference immediately! However I also noticed the side effects as well.  Shaky, can't think straight in a daze, as well as vision problems.  Is it worth the cons?  I'm trying it out and will share the outcome.  My jaw was split at chin and plate was used in chin, fractured right side jaw bone and broke off part of condyle bone in jaw hinge.. Also was scalped have steel plate and six screws in ankle.  U also was a cm from breaking my top neck vertebrae in half. Very Serious Motorcycle accident, but I will ride again!
On 900 3 times a day, want to stop, how do I ween my self off it, and how long will it take to get the drug out of my system afterward.
Being a person who watches folks with chronic pain. Does it make a difference if pain or seizures come about due to a boating accident or drug alcohol related seizures?   Is the cause of root of pain relevant to why a person is on pain meds. So if a person in pain takes pain meds,should it matter what the root of the pain is, including emotional or psychological pain.   ***@****