Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Neurontin for back pain?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Neurontin for back pain?

Doc wants me to try Neurontin for back pain. Anyone used it? What dosage did you start at? Any side effects? Thanks for any info!!
I had chronic joint and muscle pain from Systemic Lupus (which is now in remission so no pain :-}).  Anyway, I took Neurontin for a few years.  I never really noticed much difference, but other people swear by it.  I don't know a whole lot about it, but I'm sure others will jump in here that do.  I don't remember what dose I was on as it's been 5 or 6 years.  My fiance's wife (who died after they were married for two years from an auto immune disorder called Guillan Barre (spelling?)) was on it and he explained how it worked to me once, but I've forgotten the details.  He said it was a great drug for her in helping with the pain management.  If no one else jumps in, I will get him to explain it again and post for you.

Peace
I have two friends who are on it and say it helps.   i dont know how much they take.  another friend tried it and it didnt help at all.    it might depend on the individual.
Hi Ga, I was just prescribed it on Thursday.  I picked up the prescription but haven't tried it yet.  The bottle says to start with 1/day, then 2/day and then 3/day.  I haven't started yet because I am unsure of the dosage.  I thought the dr said do 1/day for a week, then 2/day for a week, etc. but the bottle says to up the dose every day.  It is 300mg.  What is your dosage?
I have been on Neurontin for a year. I got on it for leg pain although the pain has gone up to my back lately. The side effects were pretty extreme for me for the first 3 months, very dizzy, acting sort of drunk. But my pain was gone. I take the 3-a-day, 300 mg. I went down to 2 a day. A few months ago I went back up to 3 a day because my pain is back, but I think it is because my condition is getting worse. I recommend it. I have done a lot of research and found it is the safest thing out there and works really well.
I have spent years taking care of patients who have been given neurontin.  The biggest complaint I heard is that it makes you feel tired.  Having said that, if you slow dose onto it, it can be a very affective help in pain control especially if your pain is coming from nerve damage itself.  You just have to let your body get used to the doseage slowly.  
The dosage goes as follows,

Start with one pill at night and do that for at least three days.  

Then do one in the morning and one at night for three days.

Then do one three times a day for three days.

Then increase your night dose to 2, but keep am and noon the same. Do that for three days.

Then increase your morning dose to 2 keep your noon dose at 1 and night dose at 2. Do that for three days.

Then go to 2 three times a day for three days.

My docs I worked for said you don't have to max out on the dosage.  As soon as you get pain relief, stop increasing and just stay on the dose that gave you relief.  You cannot take more than 3 pills, 3 times a day.

You can check w/ the pharmecy and your doc but that is how it goes for ortho and neuro patients.