Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Neurontin (gabapentin) for opiate withdrawl(withdrawal)

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi everyone,
   Just wanted to share some experience with opiate withdrawl (withdrawal).  About 8 years ago I had a pretty bad habit.  Was chewing 10-15 of the 10/325's a day easily.  When I decided enough was enough I went to meth clinic.  Stood in line every frickin day.  Paid my $12 but at least I felt somewhat normal.  Altho the clinic continually tried to increase my meds I tapered off the methadone with success.  Took me about 5 or 6 mos i think to get off about 50 mg a day.  Eventually I found a doc and did subutex/ soboxone.  I t was wonderful.  Complete success and i stayed clean for about 5 years. But 18 mos ago I had spinal meningitis which turned in to osteomyelitis.  I had a cervical fusion--anterior and posterior of my C-1 to C7.  Doc put two steel plates and 50 screws in my spine to bolt me back together since the bacteria had eaten so much of my bone.  Got back on pain meds and voila--- I'm still an addict.  But the reason I'm writing is because I want to share something.  When I used my scripts too early and couldnt find any street drugs I searched the internet for other means of beating this nightmare we call opiate withdrawl (withdrawal).  The drug that has saved my rear end is Neurontin (gabapentin).  I had a script for 600 mg pills.  I'm 6'2" and 220 and i took 2 of the 600 mg tabs.  Was in full blown withdrawl (withdrawal) but slept great for 7 hours.  Woke up feeling kind of loopy, but no symptoms of withdrawl (withdrawal) at all!!  I couldn't believe it.  If someone offered me some pills or I got that text message saying bro I got some...  I wouldnt even think of wasting my money!  No cravings at all.  I understand that everyone metabolizes meds a little differently, but it certainly has continued to work for me and I wanted others to know.  As neurontin isnt a scheduled drug it should be easy to get from any doctor or ER.  So if my experience helps just one person feel normal again-- then my time has been so worth it.  Best of luck.

Mike

I actually have a script for neurontin.

How long did you have to stay on the neurontin to get through all the withdrawals and did you find your pain gone when you came off it?

I have many issues with neurontin and can't be going anyplace if I take it, so it is not a good drug for a replacement for me pain medications.

I had been on it for about 6 weeks (it did work for withdrawals) but when I stopped the pain was there in full force.

I know everyone is different and I seem to have problems with medications but I would like to hear your experience.

Thanks,
Hi--
   Sorry.  Haven't been on for a while.  I'm like you.  I can't take it too much cuz it makes me so loopy.But it did stop my withdrawls.  I was only offering this to everyone as am alternative to the frickin withdrawals.  I've used it honestly to get through until I find pills or can refill a script.  I cant use it for pain maintenance-- just like you.  I only use it cuz its better for me than withdrawals.  Have u had any experience with tramadol or ultram helping with withdrawals??   Thanks

Mike
Uh oh...Mike!  Do you know why Tramadol helps with withdrawals???    It's an opiate. Just so you know. I'm scared of the stuff!  Some have used it for detox/wd's,some doctors prescribe it just for opiate withdrawal.  It's an opiate,synthetic,and breaks down to what would appear as Demerol... think about it and research it yourself so that you're informed.

Good luck!

I don't know about using tramadol for withdrawal but you are right that the neurontin does help  many people.  I'm sure there are some it doesn't work for, so it is best to be under a doctor's care.  I'm glad you shared.  I'm sorry it seems to affect you as it does me.

Thanks for writing back