Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Neurontin
About This Community:

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Neurontin

I would like information about the abuse of neurontin.  I have a teen who has been experimenting with this drug and I am told it is now a popular street drug.  I know it is not a narcotic, but what would be the effect on a person who it is not prescribed to.
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I'm surprised to hear about neurontin as a street drug. I take it for anxiety. At a low dose it seems to help, and at night I take a higher dose at night to help me sleep -- though I'd rather not take anything. It just makes me really groggy and sometimes gives me a "hangover" the next morning. It also causes wicked drymouth. Certainly not a drug I'd have any thought of abusing. At higher doses, it tends to make people slow and "dumb." One nickname is "morontin" because of this effect.

This probably wasn't much help, I wish you the best of luck with this situation.

LD
Blank
Neurontin is used to treat partial seizures and,also,nerve pain.It causes drowsiness and causes users to become less alert. It should not be taken with opiates due to increased effect.  I guess if taken in larger doses it would just make a person tired and stupid.  Not what It's intended for...
Good luck getting your child away from this...
vicki
Blank
599071_tn?1300072302
Neurontin acts on the GABA receptors in the nervous system.  GABA is the inhibitory neurotransmitter, that is, (very simplistically), it turns down the effects of the other stimulatory neurotransmitters.  The benzos, (valium, Klonopin, etc also act on GABA).

Alcohol also promotes GABA's numbing effects & it's likely that some people who like this effect of alcohol may experience similar sensations from Neurontin.

My sister who is a long term alcoholic has been abusing  her prescribed Neurontin to the point of getting catatonic.

From a harm minimisation perspective, occasional experimentation with this drug should not pose as big a risk as opiates or uppers but Neurontin is none the less a serious drug & selectively messing with neurotransmitters risks throwing the whole system out of whack.

I too wish you the best in persuading your teen in other directions.

M
Blank
142722_tn?1281537216
i also take it for anxiety and it works very well.  I am not sure why she would abuse it, but it does give me a good feelings so maybe that is why she is doing it.  If you take a large dose, you can get a very happy feeling.  That is all I can think of it being
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addiction: Substance Abuse Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank