Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Neurotin

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Neurotin

I went home to visit my sick mother and my sister who lives next door. My sister has been taking Neurotin for the past three years, and she looks like an addict, her face is all sucken in, she is moody, depressed, angry and she sleeps all day.
Is this caused by this medication?
Is it addicting? I am very concerned and we all want to help her.
What can be done?
I dont really know to much about it, I just looked it up and it said it was addictive. SO maybe you should talk to her about it. See how she feels. Does she think she is an addict? She can only be helped, if she wants to be. No addict will accept help or advice from a non-addict, unless they want to help themselves...Good Luck...

Lisa
I took neurontin for back pain. It was originally prescribed for epilepsy. I've heard it was addictive for some, but I stopped it by tapering down over the course of a week with no side-effects. The one thing you neglected to mention is why she is being prescribed neurontin? Back pain? Epilepsy?
Neurontin is prescribeed for many many thing.  Take a look at some websites and they will ask what ISN'T neurontin prescribed for.  It works on epilepsy, nerve pain as it's a nerve medication, shingles, restless legs etc. but it does produce a somehwat lethargic response if taken in small doses for me so I would imagine it could become dangerous if taken in large doses.  
Funny, as much of an addict as I am, I have a bottle here with 3 refills and I never touch the stuff.
this is just a side note: this hasn't been verified by a MD, but i have noticed neurotin has seemed to make my pain more intense. anyone else notice that?
It gives me headaches, I can't take it.
My hubby takes it and does find on it but I stay away from the stuff.
I have zanaflex and sometimes soma's for muscle relaxers.