Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
New and sudden desires to drink

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

New and sudden desires to drink

I feel a little bad about posting here because I suspect I don't have a serious problem, but what I describe below has been on my mind and bothering me.

I had always avoided alcohol because I knew that before I was born my father had a terrible alcohol problem. About 6 months after my 21st birthday I got drunk at a friends 21st bday party. It was the first time I ever drank. I didn't exactly like the experience and started avoiding alcohol again.

In the year since then I can count the number of drinks i've had on my hands, and only once did I have more than one drink at a time, and that was just for two drinks. But now whenever I see alcohol I have a desire to drink. It wasn't there before. It's a subtle thing that I didn't even notice at first. I had a few drinks last month because I just had the opportunity and really wanted to, so I drank.

But now I've started noticing that whenever alcohol is mentioned I start to really want a drink and whenever I see it I have to take a moment to compose myself and walk away. I don't have a problem saying no, I can do that just fine with a little effort, so I don't think I have a serious problem. The question is, is it safe for me to continue drinking socially with my friends and I'm just being paranoid or is this something that could turn into a more serious problem?
Speaking from my experience, my friend, steer clear. I have been down to alcohol hell and back and trust me, you don't want to be there. The fact that you are actually worried or paranoid about it is already a problem. I remember when I used to love alcohol and really enjoy a drink. Now, I simply despise the stuff. If you do feel in control enough to have the odd drink then it's not for me to judge you, but my Gramps and Dad were alcoholics too. I can't stress enough how genetic the alcohol disease really is. You are in a great position where you have never experienced the alcohol demons. I'm not saying you ever will, but there are better ways to enjoy yourself than getting stinking drunk.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll make the right choices :)
Maybe it's just the call of the wild???  I can't see an addiction here, but you probably do have the gene and you will be a lot better off if you never took a drink again.  I have a lot of respect for people that tell me, "I don't drink, never got into it."  Seems they have gotten a lot farther than the people that do.  It's essentially poison; nothing lives in it.  It effects the frontal lobe which is the do or don't part of the brain and it turns on the
craveing something that way is never good.

my opinion is that a part of your dad is in you.

I absolutely agree that addiction is genetic.  My mom and brother are former addicts or is the term non-active addicts?  Anyway, my Mom was addicted to narcotics for 15 years or so.  My brother was addicted to everything under the sun for about 5 years.  Luckly they are both clean.  My half-brother is an alcoholic, along with his Dad and Uncle.  So, if I were you, I would be very careful - of anything addicting.  Someday, hopefully, science will help us addicts and find the gene or whatever causes this problem - and fix it!  Until then we just have to be aware and fight to stay clean and sober.

Shelby
Yes, I totally agree with everyone on here.  Alcoholism is definitely genetic.  If you already feel like this and you haven't gotten sloppy drunk or buzzed yet, imagine how you are goin' to feel after you experience the buzz?  Steer clear of alcohol sweetie while you can.  You may not be able to control it for too much longer if you drink it too many more times.  It's a very long and bumpy and dangerous path to take.  Don't take it.  And by the way, welcome to the forum... there alot of very nice and supportive people here and just because your post was about alcohol it doesn't mean you're not welcome.  You come here any time you wish and ask any kind of questions.  Someone will always be on here to help. :)

You have a wonderful restful nite.  YOu are in my thoughts and prayers.  Take care and god bless, Lil.  :)