New anti- opiate addiction drug approved ?
This showed up in today's new's..Here's a partal of the article and a link to the full article:

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/12/fda-oks-drug-to-fight-opiate-addiction/?hpt=Sbin

Doctors who treat drug addicts have a new option at their fingertips, thanks to a decision Tuesday by the Food and Drug Administration. The FDA gave its blessing to an injectable medicine, Vivitrol, as a treatment for opiate addiction. That's addiction to drugs including heroin as well as powerful prescription painkillers such as OxyContin.

Vivitrol is a time-release version of a drug called naltrexone, which blocks brain receptors from responding to opiates. Without that internal reward, the craving for the drug goes away.

The FDA was able to consider only a single controlled study, conducted in Russia, which found that Vivitrol was 50 percent more effective than a placebo in keeping opidate addicts clean for five months. However, some addiction specialists are already familiar with the drug, which was previously approved as a treatment for alcoholism, and thus available “off-label” for other uses.
I heard about this coming out for addiction.  I am sure they will put a hefty price on this one too not to mention what the wd's will be.
I have to agree with Sarah - I cannot help but be reluctant....and suspicious.
"Naltrexone will help you avoid using drugs and alcohol, but it will not prevent or relieve the withdrawal symptoms that may occur when you stop using these substances. Instead, naltrexone may cause or worsen withdrawal symptoms. You should not take naltrexone if you have recently stopped using opioid medications or opioid street drugs and are now experiencing withdrawal symptoms."

So this is really just a blocker such as what is in Suboxone but not subutext. It will not help with withdraws, just to keep you from using after you have already quit.
i am not sure but i think that Iwant2bclean, krissy... talked about this  injection and that she was trying her insurance to cover it and it was something about 2000 $ ? i will check her thread...
i found it and it is over 1000 $ ... hope when she reads this thread she can give more info about it :)
I saw it on the news the other night and the only thing I kept thinking was what kind of wds are you going to have to endure with that?? No tapering at all... Ya know.  
If it comes from big Pharma, I say no way. Been there and done that. Never again.
Naltrexone is not associated with withdrawals as far as I can see.  It does nothing for withdrawals or cravings. It's simply a drug that will not allow opiates to hit their receptors.  It works on a premise of fear for folks who are addicted to drugs and alcohol.

It's used frequently in hospitals for overdoses and in the OR for opiate reversal. I've used this drug ( I've administered it ).  I've also purchased it in the work place. It's NOT expensive.   However,the price is jacked up for those who receive it for addiction.

It's another money maker...
They can invent all the meds they want but the bottom line is we are the ones who have to decided when enough is enough and do something about it.
This drug will likely stop the cravings, but if you have a habit it will induce W/D, not help it.  It would be good for someone who is clean but struggling to stay that way.