Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
New

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

New

I am going cold turkey after five years of methadone usage.  It's day 1.  I have leg pain and am agitated.  I can't live like this anymore so I slowly tampered myself down to 5mg.  I am now 24 hrs with non.  I am incrediably uncomfortable but ok.  Am I doing the right thing.  How bad is this going to be?  I was down to 30 mg three weeks ago and weened myself down from there.  I just feel alone.  And hope this is the right thing.
yep same here....i couldn't eat for almost 2 wks...lived on gatorade and ensure...lol and some fruit....it will get better!   just try to eat anyway...even tho it tastes like a shoe leather...lol   force it down....you will heal quicker!  
Hey
Glad you came in and are determined to beat your addiction.That is awesome and totally worth all of the struggle.This is a great place to get support.Are you fairly young and in relatively good health? That will help.
Keep posting on this thread(when you do that it keeps it at the top of the page and easy to see) and others with methadone experience will come along with lots of tricks and great advice. I was never hooked on methadone so I don't know much about it but lots of other forum members have and do.
I was on oxy/opana/fentanyl and heroin.I have been clean this time for about 8 months and it is well worth it and I have my life back.   Best wishes to you and keep posting
Thanks and I will post better.  Sorry about the confusion. That's awesome 8 months. that seems like eternity now. I'm a 29 year old. I am taking it a day at a time. I have a great support system at home but they don't understand(they try to) but they don't.  It's nice to know its just me.
No problem buddy.You can do it.That's how we all do it,just a day at a time.
It's a little slow around here right now but there are plenty of people on here to help.Are you staying hydrated and trying to eat something,even if it's small?   Those are very important.Also imodium (immodium),and some members always say that a vitamin called cal mag zinc is great for methadone withdrawal.
Also,look up the thomas recipe at the very bottom right of this page under most viewed health pages.
Yea my girl got me a bunch of Gatorade. Made me eat even did research and went out and got me vitamins.  Just looked up that recipe thanks. She's gonna go to the store tomorrow and grab the ones she missed.
just wanted to lend my support!  this site is great for info and support... like ricart said, it's kinda of slow right now but others will come along with methadone experiences...it's great you have support at home...that will go a long way with your recovery and WDs....just keep posting on this thread and it will get seen by more people as it gets bumped to the top.  Just hang tough and stay strong....the physical symptoms will be over soon....and we can help you thru them.  Good luck with your journey...it is SO worth it to get to the other side....you are doing a great thing so don't be scared  :)
cool.great that you have her support.i am going to bed but will be back tomorrow.  
Hi ricart is awsome. Well yes I am one of those methendone people..I was on it for 12yrs..The hydo/oxy was the tip that lead me down the path. I was prescibed 6--10mg a day. Then I would run short and get them somewhere other then the doc. I went down & up, around & around. Got down to 30mg did that well. Down to 15mg no good started to add aderrall to make the script last a bit. Still ran short and found myself back up to 30 + took a cloazepam at night only...Well I jumped c/t from 30mgs and the other 2 drugs. I am 56 F and it was a long a** ride for me. I am now 9 days from 6-months. sooo it can be done..Support is a big one....Because of the poly use and age I went threw some very strange w/d. I can surely help you with the things I used to help me...The first 30-40 days was no sleep and high anxiety. I was set in my ways and did not want to use any meds. Finally I did take the Clonidine that is a BP med they use for opiates. I could only take at night. Then I did get some non-addictive med for anxiety. It was called BUSPAR (buspirone) NOT---Wellbutrin (bupropion) they do look alike in there spelling..But after 40 days I went all natural and from here everyone has great advise. What I used then and now has been added do to this post...Lots of vit/min I get them from a natural source it is lig........ Manz, Ds, cal from plant and a melatonin for sleep. Now I like the Rhodiola-It is popular among athelets for nutritive support for healthy stamina levels and YES the Aminoacids--They are all the L-s..a-v compunded for balanced protein protection..I would highly recomment these for w/d and for recovery. You can hang in and when it comes to stages of w/d anyone here has great information..We can help you step by step...Methedone takes a bit because of its half life. Long Legs.. Now like they all say too hot baths with the magnz salt it draws out poisions. And push the exercise so you can built the enorphines, gabba & serintoin. There is so much info regarding the map of the brain and the pleasure part. This and my God & meetings & here has been my life saver. So feel free to PM me anytime or post if you are feeling funkie...WE CARE..
God Bless you for wanting your life back one min at a time...
vickie
you can do it - i am almost at 4 years sober myself! it gets better!
I've never been on methadone, so I can't help much there.  I just wanted to congratulate you on making the best decision of your life.  It is not going to be a fun rude, but when you come out of the other side, you'll see how much it was worth it.  Good luck my friend.
Hi there, as someone who has tapered from methadone ( now down to 1mg ) I can tell you that methadone needs to be tapered slowly. You can do it coming off at 5mgs but you were just at 30mgs 3 weeks ago, to me that is too fast a taper and you will suffer. Others have done it with success but I chose to go VERY slowly, I was at 130mgs and have been on methadone for over 7 years, it may sound crazy but I have been tapering for three years, too afraid of withdrawal. I have not really suffered any withdrawal to speak of yet, I am anticipating some minimal level of withdrawal when I hit 0mgs which will be in one week from now. I am open to a personal message if  you so choose. Take care!
Thank u all. It's day two...48 hours it hurts so bad.  I have taken the vitamins and am going to try the bath...does it really work the bath.  Each minute seems like an eternity I don't know I f I can do this. I have never felt so much pain.
Yes the hot hot bath really does help. If you can get Epsom salt for the bath that helps with anxiety and restless feeling In legs. I'm sorry you're in so much pain. It does get better tho. We are here when you need to vent or ask questions. Just know it does pass.
Wen does it get better...u are all so strong for doing this...I just hope I can be too
I wish I could give you a magic number...but everyone's detox is diff. And methadone is diff from coming off hydro like I did. Hopefully you will be over the worst soon. And if it gets too bad maybe see your doctor? If that's possible. Maybe he can help you with it. Just a thought. Just eat when you can and hydrate. Take as many hot baths as you can. It really does help.

Keep us updated on how you are feeling.
as odd as it may sound, it does get better eventually. you just have to try your hardest to get through it the best way you know how. the thing that helped me the most during the WDs was getting up off the couch and cleaning my house. you'll be amazed at how much easier the symptoms of WD are when you're doing things and have a clean home to do them in.
you're making the best decision of your life!! and be proud of that. you can make it thru the hell you're going through. I was on methadone last year for 8 months and got up to 110mgs. Due to circumstances that were out of my control, i had to quit cold turkey off of the 110mg. i never got the chance to taper down to anything. I was extremely sick. and on top of that i had broken my ankle about a month and a half before i jumped off the meth, so i had to have surgery and was in a cast and on crutches when i did jump. So that made it more difficult to try and get up and do stuff or exercise. With in 2 days of me not having any med i was in so much pain and vomiting. I couldn't keep any food or drinks down. I tried everything. i tried taking valium at night to help me try to sleep, but i usually threw that up too. For me the worst parts of the wd were the lack of energy, vomiting, restless legs, and my mental state. Oh and the sneezing just got annoying. i was so irritable and just aggravated at everything. the vomiting for me was literally every other day for 2 weeks straight. I lost so much weight. Weight i didn't need to lose. but about 3-4 weeks into it, i was able to sleep ok. But the lack of energy lasted longer and so did the depression. But keep in mind i jumped from a really high dose. You tapered down to a smaller dose. so maybe your experience won't be as bad as mine. And yes hot baths do work!! I had a cast up my right leg so i'd just lay in the bath with my leg propped up on the side. And try to get up and move around as much as possible. it was a little difficult for me since i was on crutches, but just laying around makes it worse. It's not gonna be an easy ride, but since we bought the tickets, we should ride it out. You can do this. It might not seem like you can feeling the way you do. But it can be done. It has been done. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.. Ask any question you want. That's what we're here for, is to support each other. Just take it one day at a time. And one day you'll realize you feel a little better than you did yesterday. And things will start getting better..
Hey !   Hope you are starting to feel a little better today.Hang in there  buddy
Not good at all.  I feel alone. My girlfriend was at work a day and every hour alone felt like eternity. I don't know how much longer I can do this
you CAN do it....just take it min by min...hour by hour....you will notice it gets better little by little....you've come this far...don't give up now!  it does get better!  hopefully your gf will be home soon and you will feel better.  keep posting for support!  
My chest hurts is that normal
Is your chest hurting really bad or just a constant dull ache?
Dull ache
chest pain can be associated with anxiety attacks.. especially with you feeling so bad from the w/d
You can do this buddy!!! I will be praying for u!!!  I will be jumping off from my taper pretty soon.  
How are you doing???Do not give up..You jumped from 30mg to 5 it sounds like so the anxiety is a stage .It does go away soon..Take a breath, go for a walk, go to a meeting just re-direct your self from your thinking...
Hang in
vickie
My body won't stop shaking...it has a mind of its own...is this normal
Have you tried to jump into a really hot bath ?  It is a good temporary fix for most symptoms.Like jumping back into the womb. I have to go but will be back later just caught your post as I was going out the door,hang in there buddy.Can you eat?  
Only crackers.
yes try the hot baths....it helped me alot during my WDs....it's temporary but you can jump back in the tub an hour later if need be.  And make sure you're hydrating too.
Hi!  Just wanted to lend my support too!   Withdraws really s.u.c.k.  And time literally does seem to stand still. After the first few days pass, it does speed back up.  It's like having the bad flu, but with the flu we  just ride it out and treat the symptoms.  We accept we are sick, but as addicts in wd we KNOW a pill would take away all the creepy crawlies.  If you can find a way to look at this like a challenge that you are going to rise to and beat this monster, it helps tremendously!!   You CAN do this even though right now it doesn't seem like it.  Find some things to occupy your mind to get it off of how you feel.  Watch some comedy, listen to some music.  Pace around if you have to.  
You may not be feeling good but you are DOING great.Hang in there.  did you try the hot bath?   crackers ginger ale chipped ice protein shake  
IMO the main ingredients on the Thomas Recipe that really, really, really help with WD suffering are the Imodium (immodium), Robitussin in pill form, and Tagamet.

To understand the concept you can search YouTube by inputting "Stop Withdrawals from Oxycontin, Methadone, Heroin, Dilaudid & Vicodin"

He talks about those ingredients in the Thomas Recipe.  And people have commented to his videos that what he says works.

As a bonus, he is very entertaining to watch.

Another big help is the well known MD who treats drug addictions, Mark Viner. He posts a LOT of videos on YouTube. (Warning: he has a YouTube persona that he utilizes to keep people interested in what he is trying to teach us, which are very complex topics that few doctors are able to cover.) When I watch his videos I end up spending a few hours on YouTube. He is that good. His YouTube name is DoctorOfMindMD

Hope that helps.
Hope you are doing ok....... Sorry you r having a tough time. Praying for u
Thank u everyone.  I'm on day 4. Went to the ER for dehydration and my shakes we out of control.  The gave me a 5 day supply of cloudiness. Which has helped a lot. Thank u all so much for the help.

I'm glad you got help at the ER...what is cloudiness, though?
Typo...auto correct...it's clonidine .1 mg every eight hours...it relaxes my muscles.
Hi yes In my above thread I mentioned the clonidine it is a light Blood Pressure Med they use to help people detoxing from opiates...And I also mentioned some other things...Just keep posting with us and we can help you step by step.....It does get better min by min...12yrs of methedone and I am happy today So will YOU..............
God Bless
vickie
I'm
Glad they gave u something to help u.  I heard a lot about the clonidine. Just never took any. Praying u are doing better now!!!  
U can message me anytime if u would like.

Christina
Hey glad you got the clonidine and I hope it helps alot.It does help.I have taken it before. keep up the great work .Hope today is better for you.  
Ive been on methadone for 2yrs went to 100mg and tapered down to 5mg over 8mths and then stopped...today is day 7 and im still not sleeping at night and only at night or when I try to relax does all the aching start...I have been drinking tons of water and/or cranberry juice. I also bought a detox tea and take a lot of hot baths.  This site has helped me greatly in the last 2days. I wanted to back on methadone so bad just to feel "right" but knwing im not alone has helped greatly...keep moving forward and congrats...it gets better my par counselor used to always tell me it will take 10 days for your brain to adjust to the change..I wouldnt reccomend methadone knwing what I do now but ill never do pills again..I never want to feel this way again...
Day 6.  Well it's Sunday.  My body doesn't hurts as bad except for my legs.  Feels like bugs are crawling around. I still haven't slept at all.  Maybe three hours last night and one today.  I think I feel better but mentally I'm just weak and irritable.
Hang in there buddy!   you are doing awesome.  That is all understandable.
If you can get out for a walk it may help some. No walking where I live today as it is pouring rain and just above freezing
hi...great job on day 6!!  maybe try wrapping an electric blanket around your legs??  i've heard others on here say that helps with the aches and the creepy crawly feeling....you are doing so well!!  just keep it up!  keep posting for support!!  
Quick question...I can't seem to taste anything...it all tastes blah...is this normal?
yeah way normal.  Everything tasted like plastic for a while for me.
K... So there's hope...I'm doing better i think...just wish I could sleep.  U r all so fantastic.  I hope one day I can be like all of u.
It hurts my stomach to eat... Five minutes after I eat I have huge pains...is this also normal
yes i think it's normal....stomach issues are big in WDs.....maybe try to eat light stuff like crackers...little soup maybe??   what ever you can get down....bananas are good too....you'll get some magnesium with them and will help with RLS....have you tried the protein shakes?  or protein drinks already made....i bought the whey protein in chocolate...i still drink one every day...it has lots of protein in them and will help you heal plus give you the nutrients you need....as long as you are hydrating...water, gatorade etc you will be fine...and your appetite will come back soon...mine did and it came back with a vengeance......lol  i was eating every 2-3 hours....so try not to stress over it...just stay hydrated..that's the most important right now.  
Day 7!!! I had two hours where I felt normal...I now have no energy and have to force myself off the couch.  How do I get energy back

awesome job on day 7 !!     try to get out and take some walks,even if it's only around the block. Energy will come back but it will take some time.
again great job man
Have u tried rhodolia?  Natural herb. Check it out.  I heard about it and started taking it a month bf I finally jumped from my taper.   I swear by it.
Praying for u. Congrats on day 7!!!!!! Great job
Ok thanks ill try that.  Where do I get the rhodlia from.  Also when does the restless sleep stop.  I would be so good if I could sleep and had more energy.  When did u notice energy comming back.  U r all so helpful.  Don't know where I would be without u guys.
my energy started coming back on second week....but i was coming off hydros....but it wasn't 100%.....but i'm older than you so you might get more energy sooner....sleep was same way...about the second week i was sleeping with the help of melatonin.

are you eating any better now?  and congrats on day 7!!  that's so great!  :)

Look online for rhodolia.  I found some at gnc
Kinda.  My gf bought me fruit to make smoothies.  I can actual taste the fruit and they have natural vitamins. Should I take vitamin b supplements u think or would that mess up my already lack of sleeping...thanks on the congrats.  7 days feels like 7 years
haha yea it does feel like forever...but time speeds back up!  for real....and i would def take the B12 vit....i take the liquid sublingual....it's suppose to get into your system faster....B6 is suppose to be good too...i take B12 and a multivitamin and VitC .....i hear alot of people talk about the amino acid protocol too...it's here on MH...you can search it....just tons of stuff people say are good for energy....but my tummy will only take so much at one time...lol  you sound much better!  and a smoothie sounds good right now..lol  
Hello - Just reading through your post & wanted to comment on how far you have come and how much better you sound since that first day!  You have gotten some really great support here; these people are the best for sure!

You are doing amazing. . . . it is not easy but it will get better every day.  I had a lot of trouble with the sleep thing too.  It took a few weeks for me to sleep all night without waking or feeling restless.  It slowly returned and now is better; even better than before the pills (I would have NEVER believed that could happen - but it can!).

Also - try Vitamin Water - "Revive" formula - it has 100% of vit. B5,6 & 12, vit. C, potassium and electrolytes.  All things really good for you right now, when you need the energy but don't really feel like eating or drinking much.  (and Yes, I should own stock in this company; I'm always blabbing about it :))  

Hang in there and you know to keep posting for help and support.  The days will add up quick and the physical stuff will get better . . . best of luck!
I got the rhodolia from the local health food store..Try also the amino acids. Get them compunded they are all the L---s (a-v) They will say PROTEIN on the front. It gives support..I am 6m fri and the last stage was weakness...
I am no young chic and jumped from a 30mg dose...I said that in my above
thread to you....and everyone else said the other things to get like the Bs..
I guess my last thread above was a bit long...I did mention all of this...Give it a try...Hang in you are doing great..
Day 8! I think I feel a little better.  My limbs feel like they r asleep rather than sore. I ate and now feel like a stuffed turkey... I slept for maybe 5 hours last night so that's an improvement.  Instill really irritable though. Everything annoys me. Ugh 1 more day down I guess.  Also today is the first day I thought about using methadone again.  Really miss the burst of energy it gives me. Some moments r so hard.
Yeah that is a sure sign of feeling better.As soon as we start to mend we start thinking"hey that wasn't really bad,I bet I could have one."   Keep up the great job and don't go back. Glad you got to eat a bunch and sleep!  :)
Those moments will get much easier.
Hey - congrats on day 8!  The irritability and edgy feeling are totally NORMAL for where you are right now, as is urge to use again - DONT do it.  You have worked pretty darn hard to get here - you cant just have one; you know it doesn't work that way.

You are doing SO well.  Just take it slow . . . your energy will start returning and the feeling of needing a pill to make that happen will get less and less.
congrats on 8 days!  just remember where you started....don't go back...you've made it this far...so keep going!  it only gets better from here! hang tough my friend
Day 9!!! Had a pretty good day today.  No pain anywhere and no withdrawal feeling, but still weak and tired.  Hope tomorrow is just as good.  Still don't feel "normal" but I don't know what that is I guess.  How will I know.? When do I get my strength back?
Great job on day 9!!!!!  Glad u r doing better.

I love taking b12 and added b6 recently.  Neither one of those mess w my sleep.  I take rhodolia, 5htp. All those I find help w my energy and mood. Which I was very concerned about after Quiting methadone.  I'm on day 7. Keeping myself very busy. You can do this!!!!  Keep it up!!!!!!
Great Success since the first time you posted..I love to read down and see this...Hey did you try the things we metioned for energy..I swear by the things I said up above..It took me months and months to try to get the "Good " energy back but I like the things I just got...Check out the above thread...It does work....
vickie
great to hear !  you have come so far.Try to get some light exercise.It will help a ton.  
congrats on day 9!  that's great!  the energy/strength is diff for everyone but staying as active as possible will help alot!  stay strong....you are doing so good!  the above posters have some good ideas about getting the energy back...and the B12 has helped me alot.  
All right soo it's been a rough week.  I have had my ups and downs and am really still just weak.  I have no motivation to o anything and I'm day 17!!!! Ugh...I got rid of my dr. Today that was prescribing me the methadone.  I feel better if that makes any sense.  Hope everyone else has had an ok week.
glad to hear you are still hanging in.it took me around thirty days to feel i was turning the corner
30 days feels like an eternity. Hen did the rls stop for u and when did the sleep come back.
it was around day 21 or so that i started getting the good sleep,i did not have rls.are you taking the cal mag zinc?
Yea...and b6... Its not as bad as in the beginning but still isn't great.  I'll be fine for two days and think that I'm turning a corner and then I'lll feel like butt hole for three days...it's very frustrating more then anything.
Hang in there!!!!  Sorry it seems like its a flipping roller coaster ride!!  Which I HAtE roller coasters.  Lol.

Praying for u.  I'm right behind u at 15 days. Just so many tests coming my way.  
congrats on day 15!  you will start to feel better soon! don't give up...you have come so far!  you're strong and you can do this!  try a heating blanket on your legs....some say that helps.  Keep checking in to let us know how you are doing!  
Way to go.....Your post starts out on March 12...and look how far you have come...Great success there..I am very proud of you...
Keep it up...
vickie
Congrats on your clean time you are doing really awesome. You are healing . Time will be your healer. Drink protein shakes, ensure, boost, eating will help with your energy, fruits, veggies and protein. Get some exercise in. It helps  produce endorphins.
For restless legs take magnesium/potassium tabs, eat bananas, tonic water with quinine. For sleep over the counter try melatonin, valerian roof, alteril, sleep by nature made.
Keep moving forward you have come a long way in a short time.
Good job getting rid of the doctor. What are you going to do to prevent relapse?
Counseling and or support groups? Keep yourself busy, exercise program, new hobby, church.
Keep up the good work.
Happy Easter to all who celebrate.  Another week down.  I slept for a total of six hours yesterday, woohoo. My legs I think r getting better but r still irritable.  I can eat again which has been nice.  I spent the whole weekend with family keeping busy.  I kinda crashed this afternoon and had my gf take me to my cousin house to try to sleep, didn't but watched the duke game...boo Louisville! ;). I'm home now and gonna try to sleep.  I just wish I still had the energy I used to have I really miss it.  It's hard to get through the day knowing that the burst of pure energy that would come whenever I needed it isn't there. O well. Hope everyone had a good weekend. Just felt the need to talk about my progress, sorry if its more of a ramble.
Hi and What a Easter it is for you !!! Wow you started day one on March 12th...Now you should have 18-19 days clean..Right..Well any day is a good day..Way to go..Sleep is good..Welcome it with open arms..What a great Job..I went back up the thread since day one...What a success..Come back and let us know whats up..OK...
vickie
great to hear that you are doing better.You should get your energy back more and more as days go by.Exercise is key during this time
congrats on your clean time!  and Happy Easter to you as well!  so glad you are doing so well....the restless legs will settle down...and good that you are sleeping now....time will start to speed up for you now...just keep hanging in there...you are doing great!