Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
No Sleep for life?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

No Sleep for life?

I feel like I may never be able to sleep normally again. My question to everyone is how long did it take to start getting some normal sleep? (quick history) I was on oxycontin for 4 years up to 5-6 80's a day. Went from that to methadone or whatever I could get my hands on for about a year. Then suboxone for 1-2 year but never did more than 1mg a day  of suboxone. So although my w/d was 100% from suboxone I still feel im cleaning my body of the last 6-7 years. Im on my day 16 now though and figured I would be getting some normal sleep and thats just not the case. When I lay down my minds still going 1 million mph and I still start rocking occasionally. Any sleep I get is chopped up in 1 hour max intervals. Any insight on when I may start getting some normal sleep back??? Does this take months?
Hey!  Sometimes it does take a while.  It could be a few months before you sleep "normally".  By that I mean like several hours in a row without waking up any.  I figured out, after much anxiety over sleepless nights, that I don't require a lot of sleep.  6 hours is a good night for me.  7 would be unbelievable!!  I wake up a few times no matter what.

I don't know if this makes you feel better or worse, but just know that you are not alone and that it is normal!!! : )
I'm on day 20 and still stuggling with the sleep thing!  Take two benadryl if you can thats 50 mg. of diphenhydramine HCI.  Thats what I have been doing and it really works well.  I take it 15-20 min. before going to bed.  Oh and a wait till about 1am to go to bed that way what little sleep I get feels better than going to bed at 9pm at night and waking up at 1-2am.  So stay up late as you can (which shouldn't be hard) and take the benadryl if you can take antihistamines with no problem which most people can.  This worked way better for me than melatonin and valerian root ( which they made me tired but not asleep).  Now I took only 1 benadryl last night and slept as well as when I was taking two!!!  I recommend you to take 2 however just to make sure you get some sleep.  Trust me you will!!!  Just stay up late take them 15-20 minutes before bed and you will lay there for a while i'm sure as I still do but you should sleep at least 3-4 hours straight your first night and even when you wake up you can usually go back to sleep some!!!!  Let me know how it works for you tonight and God Bless I will pray for you!!!!!!!
I forgot to mention that is what my doc recommended to me was the benadryl and he said it was safer than any other sleep aids especially Rx sleep aids so good luck tonight!!!
It should eventually get better.  It is something most of go through when getting cleaned up.  I tried to make sure I stayed busy throughout the day.  NO naps NO laying around watching tv.  Getting some exercise, going for walks helps.  Also watch what you eat.  Especially in the evenings.  I know when I eat late I have a hard time sleeping cuz my stomach is working overtime.  Check your head too.  Is there anything going on in there that is keeping you awake?  I know sometimes our heads just spin.  Other times there are things going on in our lives that can preoccupy our minds.  Keep up the Good work your are doing great.  God Bless!!
Thank you all theres some things I have not tried mentioned that are worth a shot. Most of the time now when I lay down its like I have a song or simple tune on repeat in my mind and it gets extremely annoying. Its very hard to shut my mind off and think about nothing to fall asleep. I have work tomorrow for the first time in over 2 weeks and I think knowing that is going to make it that much harder to sleep. So anxious to just go to work and see how its going to be. Thanks again its nice knowing your not alone, although I would never wish this upon anybody.

Brent
So right there with you. I fell alseep after 5am. I've tried the melatonin doesn't work for me. So far I've barely slept and when I do its in hour spurts and I wake up alot. But the tips on this thread are good. Thanks
You might also try a generic sleep aid that you can get at any drug store ... Wal-Mart, CVS, Walgreens, Kroger, etc.  Its their generic form but the pills all look the same once you open the package.  Look for the active ingrediant Doxylamine Succinate.  Just remember the Doxy part and that should do you.  It really helps me to sleep.
In all my thoughts of how bad it is not sleeping I almost completely forgot about something that has actually improved in the sleeping area. The small amounts of sleep I do catch, I dont wake up in a pool of sweat! Also I dont have so many crazy dreams (more like nightmares). Im thankful for that its just hard to notice positive things sometimes when drenched in doubt. Thanks again for all your guys tips+tricks I will be trying some out and hopefully find one that works for me.
hi -i have found what Punkinhead said works ok for me -NO nanna naps in the day... I get about 5hrs sleep a night now -but the 1st couple of months it was about 2 or 3. Do u mean that you DO wake up with sweats? i did for a couple of months...

as for the dreams... ummm yeah wild... i still get them on and off -they are so vivid -if only i could make movies out of them... I think it is an oxycontin / tramadol thing, but did notice they started again when i started NSAID's a week or so ago... I am guessing your memory would be a bit shot too?...

best wishes T.