Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Non-narcotics for opiate addicts after surgery to manage pain

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

In the end of December I found out that my Boyfriend had been getting Percocet off the street and from people at his work and had relapsed with his opiate addiction which had been kept at bay for the past 4 years. Starting December 29th, 2009, he stopped using. Two days later on December 31st, 2009 he fell snowboarding and separated his AC joint in his right shoulder.  I was terrified that this injury would soon lead to a prescription of opiates.  I have informed every doctor we have seen thus far, including even the ski patrol and the ER on the night of his accident.

Just yesterday, on what would have been his 23rd day of sobriety, he came home and I could tell he was on something.  His pupils were the size of a pin-head, his heart was racing, and he was scratching his back incessantly. I asked him what he was on and he told me that someone at his work gave him a Vicodin and that it is not as bad as a Percocet. He then told me that he would probably be getting a Rx for in soon anyway because of his upcoming surgery to fix his shoulder on January 27th.  I then told him the pain management appointment that we are going to tomorrow is for that exactly. Now he said he does not even want to go to that appointment because all they will prescribe is Ibuprofen, Aspirin or Naproxen Sodium......

1 year ago a really great friend of mine passed away because he relapsed on his opiate addiction after a year of sobriety. His relapse began when he was prescribed opiates by his surgeon after a minor procedure that left him with only 2 stitches. Apparently his addiction to opiates was not in his medical record and even though his Mother informed the surgeon, he handed my friend the prescription right in front of her. I am scared to death that this will happen to my Boyfriend. . .

Can anyone give me their input and experience with non-narcotic pain management and possibly how it relates to opiate addiction?
Toradol is a non narcotic antiinflammatory pain reliever that is very effective.I would stay away from tramadol if it is suggested.It is touted as a non narcotic pain reliever,but it is a narcotic and as addicting as any opiate.There are various form of an otc pain reliever called percogesic that are quite effective for pain and non opiate.
Hello. Girlfriend of addict.  First of all let me say I'm sorry about your BFs accident. There are ways to manage real pain. I am in pain but not as much as when I used opiates and I now use advil or aleve. Excedrin tention for headaches.
BUT your BF is the one that will make the decision. If I had a BF telling everyone of my doctors about my addiction it might just p me off enough to show you just how powerless YOU are.   Honey get to a meeting.  YOU  and tell HIM about this site and see if he will read alittle and maybe post if he wants. I, even now, with over 2 years from a 8 year addiction would not try to stay clean for the first few days after shoulder surgery. I wouldnt subtract the time of recovery from surgery from my clean time unless I KNEW I used even one pill extra when I could have tried a advil. Recovery is personal. YOU can't control a persons use. The addict makes the decision.    
There is a general procedure I go through with my rehab facility for surgery. In fact, I did it last week when I had my wisdom teeth removed. First, you need to let all physicians know of the addiction issues. It's also a good idea to have an addictionologist (a physician who works with addiction patients) to consult. Before the surgery, you're given a drug test. The idea is to let the brain know there there will be a beginning and end to the procedure. The surgery takes place. If pain meds are used, the patient NEVER handles the prescription. My wife had mine, and I never even held or read the paper prescription. The person handling the medication gets them filled. After the surgery, If and only IF the patient needs them, they are given ON SCHEDULE by the person holding them. I never had to use mine because Motrin took care of the pain. The patient HAS to be honest about pain levels. After the pain subsides, the medication is flushed and witnessed by a third party. A few days later, you're given a last drug test to end the process. Of course, all of this has to hinge on the patients honesty on pain level. There are good medications that are opiate free and able to relieve pain. Toradol is a good one. NOT TRAMADOL...Toradol. Very different medications.
I have to say I agree with calamity you might actually be pushing him in the opposite direction then U want to be . There are time even addicts HAVE to take opiate pain meds to handle then pain .I had to after surgery I made sure I only had a small script and had my other half give them to me .I think you have some good intentions but you have to let him make his own choices .