Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Nose Hurting From Cocaine Abuse

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Nose Hurting From Cocaine Abuse

Well, I've been using for about 3 years now, and for the past 6 months I've used really heavily. I haven't used for about a day now, and I had noticed before that my nose had been hurtingto the touch at the tip where my bone and skin meet and at the very top.. but I wouldn't go more than 4 or 5 hrs without coke and when I did coke I never felt the pain. Now that I haven't done for about a day it really hurts. Especially i I touch it, it will hurt even more. I can definitely feel my bone inside my nose on my right nostril, the only one I really use, compared to my left is worn down a bit in places and hurts. Is it just irritated? Will the pain go away? Will it get worse? Is it just my mind? I don't really get why it's like that. If anyone has any information to share, please help me out.
I would see a doctor pronto...peeps who chronically snort can actually wear a hole thru their nasal mucosa...an ENT would be the best doctor to see for this....drugs were not meant to be snorted and the body/nose will rebel

all i can say...or anyone here is to stop snorting stuff cos ur nose is becoming worn out...but the only way to be sure of the amount of damage u have done at this point..is to see a doctor///and be honest with him...there is a possibility of repair if caught early enuf///i know a snorter//she no longer does..who now has an opening thru each nare and it will wheeeze when she blows her nose..she actually wore a hole so now both of her nares are connected...get this checked...and make a plan to STOP
Your nose is separated into two chambers by the septum - this is the fleshy wall you can pinch between your fingers.

The inside of your hooter is also covered by a thin, sensitive layer called the mucous membrane. This works like a filter, and basically protects against infection whenever you inhale and sweep up stuff your body doesn't need, like dust motes, pollen, fluff particles... or coke.

In snorting cocaine, the drug is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream via the mucous membrane. One immediate effect within the membrane is to shrink the blood vessels. As a result, this sensitive lining becomes irritated and inflamed. Symptoms include sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion and nosebleeds.

If the mucous membrane becomes damaged due to cocaine misuse, (and also any substance with which it has been cut) it can impair the way that air is humidified before it reaches the lungs.

Continued misuse can cause sores to form in the membrane, and also perforation of the nasal septum. This is basically the appearance of a hole in the dividing wall that can continue to grow with your coke habit. If enough support is destroyed, the septum can collapse.

The damage is irreversible. Plastic surgery can improve the appearance of the nose, but patients are advised to seek treatment of the addiction before any attempt at reconstruction can be carried out.
You don't get why it's like that? Sniffing coke for 3 years will do that to your nose and remember, your NEVER sniffing pure coke. I did damage to my nose from my heavy coke use, and made a small hole in my nose although it's not visible and it hasn't caused me much problems since i quit, guess I got lucky. The hole will not heal, the rest more than likely will. The pain is normal, when I woke up in the mornings during my use, it felt like someone punched me in the face, it was so painful. The good news is the tissue will heal and sense of smell comes back too and the pain goes away, it did for me. I imagine you will be blowing scabs out of your nose that look like part of your brain for a couple weeks, i remember those blah.

Your nose is the least of your worries with coke, the damage to the heart, nervous system and mind is much worse, it will kill you. Please find a way to STAY off this drug. Aftercare is so important. I hope you have stayed clean, but with the mental power of cocaine, we do need help. Best of luck and hope you come back on:)