Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Nucynta to Celebrex

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Nucynta to Celebrex

I have chronic pain and Nucynta was working well for me.  However, I'm a new RN and cannot take narcotics, so I have so switch medications.  I am attempting to switch from Nucynta (50 mg 6x/day) to Celebrex (200mg 3x/day).  My doctor didn't give me any advice for tapering off one to another.  Any advice on how to do that?  Can I take the Celebrex while still taking some Nucynta?  Thank you :)
Hi there--these drugs are nothing like each other. How long have you been on the Nucynta--if anything over about 3 weeks, you are at the very least somewhat habituated to it, and it will tell you so when you stop it! The Celebrex is totally non-narcotic---but hey, you're a nurse, you know that stuff already. How much Nucynta have you got left? If you've got enough you can do a taper. Like dog, I can't tell you how to taper--we are forbidden on the board to do that. But you'll have a good idea of what to do. Let us all know how you are doing---and congratulations on your new RN license! That's a real cause for celebration. Good luck, and write anytime.
Thank you for your help-you are right-this is not pleasant!  I thought maybe I could just switch them but Celebrex doesn't seem to be doing anything for me right now.  I think maybe it just needs some time to build up in my system.  I left a msg for my doctor requesting advice on tapering off Nucynta (I have enough left to do so).  I just moved to a different state so in between doctors and trying to switch meds so I can start working while dealing with chronic pain-not a fun time.  I appreciate the support from you all! :)
I guess you're right as far as there not being much but opiates for chronic pain.  So do you take anything now for your back pain or are you just doing the OTC meds and massage/hot tub?  I'm only 32 and not having a good outlook on dealing with this for the rest of my life!  I didn't realize there would be a problem with me being on Nucynta as an RN if I had a prescription for it, but the Dr. that did my physical put me on a safety restriction because it is a narcotic and that was a problem with them.  I have a toddler and a husband who's out of work so I'm pretty much going to be the income for our family.  Can't believe there aren't better things for pain nowadays.  On my third dose of Celebrex and still feeling like crap!  I'll definitely do massage more when I start making money and I'll try the Epsom salt/hot bath.  Thanks for all your advice-I hope you are doing well and managing your pain :)