Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Nurofen plus withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Viewing 1001-1145 comments:
I just got myself of N plus after being on them for the most part of the last 3 or 4 years but the last year has been a full packet a day and maybe more. My wake up call was having a pain in my side and then going to the toilet and seeing urine so full of blood it was black. The ibuprofen had been damaging my kidneys. I want to make everyone on here aware what it does to your kidney not just your stomach.  I went to the doctor and stopped the N Plus immediately .  I had to ask the doctor for some codeine only pills because the withdrawals were pretty severe. Diarrhoea , nausea, vomiting, and sore or restless legs which can go on quite some time. So I needed to take a week off work and I tapered down with the twenty pills the doctor gave me over the space of around 5 days.  You really need to get some immodium as well.
Sleeping can be tough and the restless legs thing is terrible. Taking a hot bath as close to bedtime as possible helps this.  Your brain over time stops producing I think it's dopamine or serotonin  because  the codeine does the same thing so the brain stops naturally producing it. Once you come off N Plus depression can then set in because your brain can't produce what normally makes you feel fine. I can't say I've felt too bad but it takes at least 2 weeks to get over the worst off this part and can take months to years for your brain chemistry to return to normal.  I've been totally free of N plus now for nearly 3 weeks and I don't feel great but  I could never go back as it would be a death sentence.  In short, take a week off, get Immodium for the diarrhoea , allow yourself one packet to taper down , expect it to be tough sleeping for a week or 2 with restless legs. Drink plenty off water to detox . My doctor offered me Valium for sleeping and anxiety but I didn't bother but maybe it's a possibility for other,
Hi, hope you are well and have managed to overcome your addiction to N+. I became addicted to n+ nearly four years ago but stopped completely and immediately nearly just over a year and a half ago.

I wish I could say that I stopped on my own volition but that would be a lie.

I had tried to stop on many occasions but never got past 11 days in the early of  my attempts to stop. In the latter days I would relapse just after one day as I could not bear the withdrawal symptoms and I needed n+ to feel normal.

What stopped me were the consequences I endured as a result of taking 32 n+ per day. These were peritonitis, a perforated bowel, bleeding ulcers and anaemia.

My addictive behaviour allowed me to deny the dangers of n+ and this denial was helped by the fact that they are sold over the counter and when I confided in my doctor of the amount I was taking - 32 - he did not seem perturbed as his response was that I was "an intelligent woman and perhaps should consider cutting down". For the mind of an addict this was the best response ever so I continued to use, as the doctor in my eyes was not worried.

When admitted to hospital - the high dependency unit - I had to have six packs of blood transfusion. All because of n+. I was on death's door step and have a long scar across my stomach, an unwelcome stamp of my addiction.

Today I am so relieved to be free of n+. I go to Na meetings instead of spending my evenings planning which chemist I should go to. I have proper night sleeps and do not wake up in the in the middle of the night or morning shaking with cold and my pillow and body drenched in sweat.

My body no longer shakes or exhibits flu symptoms because it is in withdrawal from n+ and I no longer spend nearly £6 per day on feeding my addiction.

I no longer need to take n+ just to feel normal because the compulsion has been lifted today.

Today i do not have the chest breaking palpitations to my heart and accompanying searing pain.

Today i am alert and do not suffer insomnia by night and chronic fatigue by day. I do not suffer sever constipation and a loss of interest in my life and relationships.

I do not have to secretly dispose of blister packs or spend hours waiting for that elusive high to kick in and when it does not stuff more N+ down my throat .

Today  I do not have to lie to my partner or find reasons to exit the house so that I can go and buy N+.

I am so grateful to be free of my adfiction to N+ just for today.

When I was heavily enslaved to n+ I wanted to stop, couldn't stop because I didnt kmow how to stop as the physical addiction and compulsion to use was so overpowering even after n+ had stopped working for me, hence the gradual but quick increase to 32 tablets per day. Today I know that I am addict and am grateful for this knowledge.

I wish you and all who suffer from N+ well and that the compulsion to commit slow sober suicide is lifted from you.

finally after 9 years of addiction to this poison I have been free for 9 days. my addiction meant I WAS TAKING 60 OF THESE PILLS A DAY for years. I have done rehab, cdt , suboxone ,etc etc.They almost have cost me my beautiful wife and daughters. They have robbed me of my self respect, honesty, dignity and health , I have stolen ,begged and borrowed to fund this habit . Finally for the past years I was only taking them to feel normal and my life was chaos. This time with the love and support of my wife and girls I took time off work and went cold turkey. It has been a terrible nine days I am still as weak as a kitten, pains and jumping muscles terrible insomnia and runs still. However each day gets a tiny bit better and I will beat this this time as I know it is my last chance or it will cost me everything I love and my life. So all of you stay strong and god bless you all.
Hi Emma,

Thanks for sharing your story - each testimonial I read on this site reminds me of where I came from, how easily I can go back there, how grateful I am to have the knowledge and acceptance that I am an addict, and how grateful i am to be a year and a half clean and free from N+.

I am not in the business of giving advice on how to stop addiction but i can share my experience.

What helped me was a stint at rehab after my N+ induced operation. It is there that I realised and accepted that I am addict, and this awareness / knowledge is non-negotiable for me today.

I threw myself into the rehab program and reaped benefits which serve me well today. Today I know that because I am addict I will never win against my addiction when it is alive and breathing and i cater to its needs.

On leaving the rehab I started to go to NA -Narcotics Anonymous - i will not allow anything to get between my Na meetings and me. I go to meetings to keep my story fresh in my mind and to hear and learn from other peoples' experiences.

There are thousands of Na meetings with people attending from all walks of life. The Na programme is a spiritual and not religious one which works well for me. Try it - it has worked for me because I have put in the work to be clean, day by day, for the last year and a half.

I wish you well.
Forgot to add that rehab is not the only route to a life free from N+ - I know of many people who have become clean from just going to NA alone.

All the best.
My god - I have just read my story through your story word for word!!! Keep up the willingness to be clean, focus on your recovery, as recovery is possible. Thank you for sharing your story, my story. All the best.
What an uplifting story. Today is Day4 for me and I am lethargic, restless legs, runs, sleeplessness, sick, can't eat. THE WORKS. My story is that this is the 2nd time I am going through this. I was up too 60 a day and no way can one's body cope with that and of course fell ill to my stomach. I have actually been sick for two weeks and off work. I had to come clean to my husband of 17 years. That was the hard part because he kept wondering what was wrong, and I had also promised I would never do it again. I let him and my two kids down and I can't believe I am here again. Anyway, I am going CT, no other way has ever helped me. I was the same, just taking them to feel normal. Lost interest in the house and family and was always popping out to which ever chemist to get my fix. Spending money we don't have. I am so ashamed. I spoke to a lovely drug counsellor on the phone this morning an she told me that the physical withdrawals are 4-5 days but it is the phychologocial that is the hardest but I don't care - I am never doing this again, NEVER. Good luck to everyone here. Reading your posts helps me and shows I am NOT ALONE..

Best wishes,
Sydney Australia
I am going thru the same thing right now. I was taking 60 a day as well. Good Luck, I've been on the dam things for years too. They are just shite and poison yr life. Good luck.
HI Emma, thanks for your positive post. I am on day 5 of going ct from taking up to 60 tabs a day for the past year.
Just a question, how long did it take for you to feel completely normal?
I still have runs, insomnia, lethargy and overall low well being. I have had to come clean to my Dr and he wants me to go into some sort of program. I am going back to him tomorrow. He couldn't believe how many I was taking and has ordered a barrage of tests which i had done yesterday. Haven't rec'd results yet but quite scared.
Look forward to hearing from you.
I hope you are going well. I am up to day 5 codeine free, I am sleeping a bit better. Still have the runs and aching legs. I am soldiering on and will be getting my blood test results today. I hope my iron is not too bad as I have been taking iron tablets.

Just a note if anyone doesn't know is that these tablets strip you of your iron supplies so if you are feeling really lethargic for more than a week, this may be the reason. I found that out the hard way the last time this happened to me. Yes, I have been through this once before and relapsed. The worst decision of my life. Good luck to everyone trying to rid themself of this hideous poison. xx
Awesome post.
Everyone who has this addiction I believe could relate to everything you have said. The lies, the excuses, the shame etc.  Thanks for posting and I can't wait for the day that I feel as free and great as you do. Cheers. xx
A further note on how I am going. Today is day 7 of going ct. The very worst of wd is over although I still have restless legs and not sleeping well. I am getting by on 2 to 3 hours a night. I don't feel tired but I am very irritable (poor husband). He is encouraging me to get off the lounge and move around - get back into life. It is hard because when I felt like this before I always had my magic pills but not any more. I know I will get back to normal soon, I just have to hang in there. Little improvements every day are what keeps me going, along with the fact that these things will kill me if I ever go back, so its a day by day proposition. Good luck to anyone embarking on the journey, it will be well worth it. xx
Day 8 - restless legs bothersome, just doesn't seem to be a remedy for them. Making sleep near on impossible but I am feeling better. Totally sick of laying around doing nothing. I heard taking Magnesium was good for restless legs and have been taking it but I dunno, doesn't seem to help.

Look, don't get me wrong, I am much much better, not sick to the stomach, eating normally, still using immodium but much better, I prefer this to the sick, ill, horrible feeling that total addiction and near over dosing gives you..

Cheers everyone.
End of Day 8 and can't believe my improvement from this morning. I think I am coming to the end of this nightmare. It IS possible and feels great!!.

I have come clean to a couple of chemists in the area - just so I know there is no going back. More a cleansing of the mind.

I don't know if anyone is reading my posts, there does not seem to be much interaction on this thread but I will stay on in the hope that I am helping someone - someone who is addicted like I was and who is just working up the strength to do something about it.

xx
I tried going cold turkey 2 years ago and went through a month of hell before giving up and started taking them again.  The restless legs and sleepless nights became too much of a nightmare with me having a full time job i just couldn't do it anymore.  I'm currently in week 7 of a 16 week tapering programme and it's the furthest i've ever got with it, and it's going really well, down to 2 a day from today, so i know the toughest part of it all starts now.  From personal experience i wouldn't advise anyone to go cold turkey as it's really, really hard and i wouldn't wish it on anyone.  With tapering, i'm getting mild stomach issues with going to the toilet, as my body gets used to taking less tablets.  It's less tough on the body tapering and not a massive shock to it by taking away the codeine completely.  The main thing about tapering is that, while i'm getting some of the withdrawal symptoms, aches and pains, craving codeine, diarrhoea, these are very much handleable as long as you can sleep.  And whilst tapering, i have had a few restless nights while my body gets used to the lower dosage, but this is only for half an hour or so at a time so I have been getting good night's sleeps.  And hopefully, as this is a specially designed tapering plan, at the end of the programme, my body should be so used to the lesser and lesser amounts of codeine, that when I come to take none, the effect of restless legs on my sleep should be so minimal as to not really effect me.  As I say, you should be able to handle the aches and pains, and the diarrhoea, as long as you're getting your normal amount of sleep.  As i remember oh too well, it was the lack of sleep that was the main killer when i went cold turkey.

The above is also a good thing for Emma to read, looking for advice on how to come off the nurofen plus.  If she would like to see how to taper down I'm sure i posted a tapering plan in previous pages, but would be happy to do so again should she so wish.  It really does seem to be working for me, and now that i'm on 2 a day, i find it hard to understand why i even wanted 6 a day for 16 years.  Your body does really get used to it this way rather than giving up full stop.
Hey Davey, you are so right about sleeplessness. Yesterday I was up and about and thought yeah I will sleep well tonight for sure, after a week of around 2hrs a night. I have been off work so not too bad. But last night I was awake to 4.00 am and hardly slept. And this was after getting something from the chemist to help me sleep. My head was dopey but my body wouldn't stop. CT however is the only way for me because I couldn't tell you the amount of times I have tried tapering. IF I have them - I have to take them, 60 sometimes. This is my second time so I knew what to expect, it just doesn't make it any easier. Great news for you being down to two a day. You are doing great and I wish you all the very best.  Did you used to come from this forum a couple of years ago? I am in Australia, are you?
Another sleepless night. It is 4.00 am and my body shows no signs of wanting to sleep, although I am exhausted........ I must get to the Dr tomorrow and beg for some valium, although I don't know how I will go. I know they work though as I used them the first time I did this. You would think by Day 10 my sleep patterns would be back to normal but after reading some posts, it could definitely be a lot longer. I think Davey said he still wasn't sleeping after a month. holy hell I will be a walking zombie. Other than insomnia and extreme fatigue, pretty much all other symptons gone. God I hate Nurofen +
Finally got some sleep last night. /Got some sleeping tablets from Dr. This is the beginning of the end for me. I am over feeling this way. just want to move on.

I never want to go thru this again.
I've been on them, 18-30 a day for most of this year. Did get ulcers, but got prescribed omeprazole to protect my stomach and just carried on every day taking them. Eventually, after weeks of wondering how I was ever going to start saving money and get sorted in life, about a month ago I noticed how taxing they were becoming on my chest and how my head felt fuller than usual in an uncomfortable way so I decided to cut back. Last weekend, after a few beers I took my last 16 and for a while all was well as I used codeine filtered from the N+ and decreasing amounts of solpadeine max to carry me over the rocky landing of withdrawal. In the middle of the week after a moderate evening's drinking I developed a really erratic heart-rate and an extremely billious stomach which at first manifested itself by putting pressure on my chest. I was scared and checked myself into hospital at 1 am on Friday morning. This is the third time I have been to hospital because of these pills. They checked my heart and blood, I was fine, but I was really quite scared. My blood pressure is 160/105. Too high. I have since cut out pills, tobacco and booze. I'm not going back, I had visions of my family left at Christmas and an empty chair where I used to sit. This was too much to bear. I'm out of all this ****. Good luck, do it now. xx
Sounds like its time hey. Good luck, I wish you all the best, it has been nearly 2 weeks ct for me and I feel like I am getting to the end of it all. I am not saying it is easy but I had to do it for the sake of myself, my husband and my two young children.

Good luck and god bless xxxxxx
Thanks. I think once you realise you have to do it for the sake of other people you stand a real chance of staying off them. We only have one life and have to make the best of it, you can't hide...
You can't avoid your responsibilities, you might then just as well throw yourself wholeheartedly into them, is what I mean. Pills will cut you off and lessen your impact.
Yep, absolutely true, when I think about what I have put my husband through and how unfair it is to my kids, my heart breaks. And that is what has kept me going this past fortnight. I think I said it before, this is the hardest thing I have ever done and I never want to go through it again.

I hope it is all going okay with you. Thanks for your thoughts......
Day 14 for me today. Getting there. Longest two weeks of my life but have made it out the other side.........almost back to normal.

Anyone doing this today, just keep on keeping on, you will get there.....xxx
Yes, it's going fine. I am on course, money is being saved and emotional wounds are being healed.

Yes I did come on the forum as dave570, then had to re-register as couldn't remember login details but it's the same old me.  I live in the UK, not australia.  However i believe the tablets are just as easy to come by over there as they are here, it's f*cking criminal really how they're allowed to sell these over a chemists counter when they are so addictive.  Yes it's my fault for getting hooked, but how can something like this be so readily available?

Anyway, as I said before, down to 2 a day now and only 8 weeks left of tapering.  I genuinely feel like i'm going to do this now and be ok afterwards as my need for the tablets has never been so low.  Thought when i got down to 2 i'd be all over the place and panicky, dying for my next fix, but the tapering plan works 100% and was devised by an over the counter drug counsellor specialisty dealy sort of blokey.  He knows what he's talking about because this really works.  Once i've had my 2 a day now i don't want anymore for the rest of the day.  It feels unbelievable to say that in 8 weeks i will no longer take a nurofen plus tablet for the 1st time in 16 years.  I'm now taking 2 a day for the 1st time in 16 years.  It's reminding me how it all started.  A couple on a morning to perk me up and that was it for the day.  Can't wait till it's none.

But once again, to anyone having difficulty, I cannot recommend the tapering plan i was given highly enough, and would gladly share it with anyone who is interested.
And also, from my £42.00 a month habit, i'm now down to spending £14.00 a month.  and that extra £42.00 a month when i eventually stop will be very handy indeed.
That is awesome to hear. I totally agree with you in that it is criminal that something so addictive can be so readily available. I cringe at the thought of how many must have this terrible problem. I guess I was addicted for about 5 years and this is my second time going ct. I am up to Day 15 and to be honest it is still a struggle to sleep and get motivated but I am better than say, Day 3.

Thanks, nice to hear you are going well Davey and if tapering works for you, great, I would like to have done it but I didn't have any access to someone who knew what they were talking about so I just had to suck it up. As I said before, this is the hardest thing I have ever done, giving up smoking is a doddle compared to this. Cheers.
Good luck to anyone getting motivation to kick the codeine habit today. It is a road worth travelling and feeling good to be out the other side.

Happy to just not feel sick every day and worry about what the heck I am doing to my insides. I never thought I would get this far - day 17 today. Feels like longer ................hang in there guys.l
Hi All.

I think this is my final turning point for help, or to help others.

I'm a Nurofen Plus addict, 32 tabs in morning before work most days, then 48 - 64 tabs towards to end of the day everyday without fail.

This started 12 years ago with just 1 small box a day of 12 tabs,

I had pain for something so my dad gave me two of his Dihydrocodeine 30mg tablets, how can taking something make you feel so amazingly great, I fell in love with this feeling and needed more, realising boots sold over the counter codeine products, I tried Nurofen plus as it had the highest amount of codeine available, so everyday id get a pack of 12, this rows to 24, then 2x24 a day for many years, when they changed pack sizes to 32 I bought 32s from 2 pharmacy's daily, took all 32 from 1 box and 16 from the other leaving 16 for the next day meaning I only had to get 1 more box the next day. I've now lost all control and have to take all if I have any left over.

I feel I really have tried stopping this addiction many many times, I should be dead by now. I've had a total of 3 ulcers which have bleed, admitted to hospital at leased once every 6 -9 months or so.
When I feel strong enough and had enough of my life being run and ruined by this over the counter drug, I go cold turkey and after the third or fourth day im really ill with constant violent green bial sick, and getting weaker and weaker, my potassium often falls below 4, I know this because I faint when getting out of bed to get water, this continues for days after telling myself its just withdrawals and will pass, thou it doesn't pass but gets worse, unable to keep any fluids down, 4 more days of fighting this loosing battle, I need hospital care or I know I will die, but not knowing when.

I've asked for help from my doctor and explained everything to him, he twice referred me to a drug abuse clinic, not heard anything after two weeks, I then when back to the doctor, he confirmed my address and mobile no. were correct, then referred me again, my doctor doest believe I want help to stop I think.

My problem is out of control, im about to loose my job which ive held for 15 years, I love my job, people rely on me there. I've been off work for several weeks now, trying to get help.

I feel so depressed, don't want to get out of bed, except to get Nurofen plus, don't want this any more, I have no money, resorted to spending my rent money, what about next month. hmmmm. I really don't know any more.

Something has to change before its too late, I feel im already out of options, I know I have ruined my life, im 28 years old, im so tolerant to codeine now 32 tabs barely affect me, when I take 64 tabs at once I don't enjoy it any more, it just knocks me out for an hour or so. Before taking tablets im sick, even looking at the box makes me sick, my body is crying out for me to stop, thou I still force them down everyday.

This is sad I know, what a waste of life. Just really hope this helps someone before it takes full control over their life. I know we learn by doing not listing, if I read this when I first started, im not sure id take note or even think it would happen to me. Perhaps these addiction stories should be included in the box's of Nurofen plus, or just remove them from the shelves, 90% of people whom buy them are addicted anyway, there are so many pharmacy's around to easily take a day trip and go shopping, its so easy to get hold of.

Anyway, that's my story, a little late to stop now, my brain is reprogrammed to make Nurofen plus my life's priority.

If this sounds familiar to anybody who has been through this or worse and has beaten the addiction then id welcome any advice.

Thank you all for reading.
That is such a sad story to read, and i'm sure everyone on here can relate to.  And whilst your body is now programmed to rely on nurofen plus, this can be reversed.  Going cold turkey sounds like it's too dangerous for you so you need to taper gradually over a series of weeks.  There's this guy called David Grieve who you really need to be getting in contact with as this sounds serious.  He will be able to help you big time and he's at http://over-count.weebly.com/ and he only answers emails on tuesdays so contact him today and he'll send you your own personal tapering plan based on the years you've been doing it and how many you take.  He really will be able to help.
Thank you for your reply and advice, im on the site right now.

Yes this is sad and serious, stopping will kill me, continuing will kill me, I cannot beat this problem alone, really need help now.

If this helps just one person to get help and quit, then my life would not have been a total waste.

Again, thank you for replying.
After reading what I've written it looks like its worse than it is, I wasn't quite myself at the time of writing and therefore I would like to amend what I've said.

OK, yes, what I have written is true, it is a sad situation to be in, and I can only blame myself for being stupid to start in the first place. I have always worked to pay for this addiction and would never steal, taking away something from someone to fund the addiction is something I could never do as it is just wrong, dishonest and selfish. I couldn't hurt anyone this way.

Generally im a honest, hard working law abiding citizen with an addiction problem, and I know there are many people with bigger problems, and are a lot worse off than me.

I need to grow up, face reality, and stop being so stupid.

I should have thought twice about posting my problem to the world, for which I am truly sorry, and regret this action.

Again, im sorry for being stupid and selfish.

Thank you.
Hi Thanks for replying to my post sorry its taken me so long to reply, Ive been focusing on getting stronger. Im on day 29 NpLUS FREE, I still can only get one or two hours broken sleep per night. Still feel exhausted but my iron levels were low on my blood tests. I have a great doctor this time who is seeing me weekly and has referred me {at my request} to a therapist to deal with the reasons I turn to these things at times of depression or sadness. I have had rehab, methadone, suboxone etc etc but the more I think about it its about recognising the danger signs and seeing someone or being able to just talk to them over a phone or net to ward off these feelings. Once you take the first pill you are immediately back on the treadmill and for me this time that would mean losing everything and ultimately death. On the more posotive side I am seeing everything through clear eyes, my emotions are returning and thats a wonderful feeling after so many years of being the walking dead. I wish you luck and I pray you will continue to fight and it is a fight that will never end. The best advice I can give you I actually picked up in rehab a long time ago ,just take one day at a time.Concentrate on just getting through that day drug free, each day will get a little easier , enjoy it and learn to love life again, One other thing try to get out for a walk in the fresh air everyday that can also help to get the endorphins moving again. Good luck and god bless to you all .Keep fighting and stay strong!!!
Your doctor sounds like an idiot , change him it is your right . I have had all the same feelings and issues you describe. It is only now I have found a patient, understanding doctor that I am getting to the root of my problems after many years of addiction plus rehab , suboxone for years etc etc. I am 52 years old and am at last 29 days codeine free, DONT end up wasting your life like me, It is early days for me but for the first time in my life I feel Im getting the correct councelling and someone is listening to me when I need them to. You are 28 make the best decision of your life now and get help before its to late. If you need to talk everyone is here for you. I pray you get the courage and the strength to deal with this now. God BLESS.
Tim thank you for your reply, my doctor told me addictions have been removed from GP's responsibility, and they have to refer their patience's to drug abuse clinics, is this true?

I am just about to start another clinic and hoping its the last, I just keep getting passed on to other people to get dealt with because they are not bothered or interested, but that's ok, I know its my fault to start with and determined now more than ever to stop once and for all, and you have done so well for yourself.

Thank you again.
No this is certainly not the case in our area {Midlands} If you end up at this clinic or community drugs team you will probably be offered suboxone which is basically long term maintenance and another addiction. However for some people this is OK because it gives you breathing space to sort your life out. For me it didnt work because the real problems were not being addressed and I had a terrible time withdrawing and started taking tablets immediately. My advice is find a doctor you CAN talk to and find a treatment that will get to the root of the reasons you are taking the pills to make yourself feel better. There is no rule book it is what you really feel will help and that is often talking to people who understand such as other addicts. Think about it and do what your gut tells you good luck and keep talking there are many people on this site who care and can help . God bless.
I have been looking on this site for a long time now and it has helped me immensly with my addiction to nurofen,  Like all who have posted on here I had a bad back so ended up taken nurofen to help with the pain and like all I got hooked on the feeling they give you,  Pure bliss! But eventually 24 turned to 36 then kept rising to sometimes 64/72 a day.  I work hard and I am able to fund my habit going from chenist ti chemist,  The  embarrassment of going to each chemist is mortifying and I know that when they see me coming they nearly have a packet waiting for me.  Luckily I never look bad as the make-up covers it!!!

Anyway I have tried to give up a few times but when periods of stress or depression set in I fall back again.  But last week I decided to give up again and so far its going really well.

This time last week I wwas taking 36-48 a day and this week I took 4 today!!! Usually what put me off was the unmerciful cramps in my legs and arms that would be unrelenting.  But got some crampex this time just from over the counter and I have to say they worked!  Only had one sleepless night,  Cant beleive it to be honest also got Ixprim from my doctor who knows my history and they have helped its a mixture of tramadol (not too much) and paracetamol.  Only have them prescribed fr a few days as I dont wasnt to subsitute the nurofen but they are definately not as strong just take the aches and pain away slightly.  Tomorrow I intend not to take ant nurofen and i am defermined this time.  I am sick of the cost and how it has such a hold over every aspect of your life.  I have gave up before and I felt great and I know I can do it again.

I would recommend to anybody trying to come off this horrible drug to taper down to what suits you its not a race u will succeed in the end because just going cold turkey is too hard and the pain and the cravings for a tablet or 5 just take over.  Even if you have to come down one a day do what feels comfortable for u.  I did come down alot in a week but I was determined and knew that i could stay home as I am off work for a while,  I think my body is also used to coming down from them but as I said its not for everyone,  

The money i am saving already is unbeleivable even that in itself is an incentive.  It is a struggle to come off this stuff and very hard but just keep plodding along and eventually anyone can free themselves from it.  Tell yourself you are going to reward yourself with something really nice after all you deserve it1  

Its a very lonely addiction as u can feel so isolated and embarassed by it.  How can u tell family and friends I am an addict to over the counter tablets?

Anyway I am available for any questions or just for support as I feel its so essential to have somewhere to lay your struggles and worries around this illness.  

The best of luck to everyone and I am going to post tomorrow hopefully after not taking any nurofen!!

Take Care

Angel
well back again and havent took any nurofen at all today and feel ok.  Don't drink very much at all but allowed myself one or two to celebrate by myself  as no one knows that i have acheived this!! All family think I am well over my addiction but sli pped up and went back but no one knew!  But still feel proud off myself for achieving what I set out to do and finish this horrible drug!!

I really hope everyone is doing ok and love to hear from anyone going through this.  

Again take care

Angel
Hi Angel, I am up to day 23 or something like that. I am noticing that most withdrawals are gone but I am getting angry because I don't have my helpers to turn to. Not that I would but I need to get over the reason I am getting the ***** all the time. Anyway, thanks for posting and all the best.
wrote on this page again last night dont know wht it didnt save my post but anyway spoke a bit too soon about the withdrawals! up all night pacing the floor with the cramps and crawling sensation in my legs and arms doing my head in now if a chemist was open i am not a 100% sure I would race to the chemist! absolutely wrecked now my eyes are so sore from no sleep!  Honestly what was I thinking off going back on this s.... again!  it is the biggest load of crap!  Sorry just ranting now so tired!  What i wouldnt do for 40 winks!  terrible situation to be in!  Anyway u r doing fantastic just keep up one day at a time!

back to pacing the floor

Angel 137
Thats brillant! I myself am still addicted and taking 60 a day too. I hate it so much, I actually gave them up 4 years ago but after a few months started back on them again! I am such an idiot.

I am reading your post darling! I must admit that i am still taking the 60 a day pills. More than anything I want to stop. Its just so hideous the withdrawls! I did actually kick the habit before, but after a few months I went back as I was having a hard time and needed the high! I am a dummy. I am training to become a nurse ( I know!) but my brain is so slow that if I dont stop this pill popping I wont pass anything. What do you think I should do?
Hi not sure who u were posting it too? but I said I would give my two cence worth.  Would you believe i think people like us who end up on this  crap no we damaging ourselves sometimes unreversabbly but I think we r caring too much for others and need something secret as we dont want to burden anyone with our woes!  I am great at looking after others but not myself so much!  U too I bet?

Like I said in another post you need to do what suits you!  If that means just coming down one a day or week whatever, do it your way no one elses your the only person from your previous attempt that knows you couldn't keep u away from them.

But thats ok when your ready u will do it again and succeed especially as being a nurse is an option now!  But i do think trying to come off them a good bit before u take up the course because I know that with the high u can get  spaced out not a care in the world until u realise u where meant to be taking part and u don't want to fall behid before u start as this could lead to u taking more tablets.

I know the withdrawals are just f***ing terrible and I spoke to soon because I havent slept all weekend with the shocks going up my arms and legs honestly the worst thing ever because it just never stops!  Going down to the doc to see if she can give me something because if I dont sleep I am just the worst.  

Anyway hope that was a bit helpful(even if u didnt mean it for me)!!!!!!

Keep going

Angel 137
Dont beat yourself up, I had ten years on these things and prescription drugs . I tried countless times to stop including 3 months in rehab and a spell on suboxone {2 years) Suddenly I  woke up one morning not caring if i lived or died, not feeling any emotions , basically the living dead and I have a beautiful wife and 2 beautiful girls to live for yet I felt nothing. That was my lowest point and my turning point. Anyone in addiction needs to reach this point to realise there is a fantastic life away from this poison. I know it doesnt suit everyone but I went cold turkey , was honest with my wife and daughters and myself. No it was nt easy in fact it was a f~~~kin nightmare, but I took some time off work , took the advice of an excellent doctor and had support from my long suffering family. The difference for me this time is that FIrstly I realise this is my last chance. I m addressing the reasons why I was taking opiates to make things appear better, Im also talking to people when I feel down or in danger,. Finally Im following the advice of a friend of mine who said when things get bad , Just hold on and eventually they WILL get better and its working for me. If someone like me at 52 can do this anyone can but only when their ready. The world looks totally different at 35 days codeine free and at last Im starting to smile and feel again. Good luck and god bless and Im always around to talk to when you are ready TIM Good luck to everyone else aswell you have all helped me more than I can tell you Thank you xx
Wishing everyone the very best - you can all do it if you have the will power. No one if forcing these pills down your throat... Only the little voice in your head. When you're feeling sick, depressed etc - remind yourself that this is the disgusting drug coming out of you... The withdrawals are horrible... But the nurofen plus lifestyle is so much worse.

Its all in your head. Will power, strength and support. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if anyone needs any help or advice, I'm always here. Best way to contact me is through email, which I posted on a previous post. As I don't check forum often.

You can all do this! Don't let this beat you. There is nothing like the power of being in control... Walking to the counter in the chemist and not even giving them a second thought! Start living again. I wake up everyday appreciative, happy and fresh. Not - weak, depressed, and wondering which chemist I should go to before I start my day!

Be free!!!!!!
Hey :)

Its amazing isn't it... When you're living in that dull, black and white world where everything is muffled... You feel like you're the only one who could ever understand, who could be weak enough to let this control you or you convince yourself "you want to take them".

To be honest, I'm grateful for everything, for even being addicted to these hideous things!! I've learnt so much, I'm so much stronger, happier, positive. Everything is in colour... HD infact.

I get days where I feel low - then I remind myself - so does every single human being out there!! These just numbed me, but there's nothing wrong with feeling pain, pain is healthy, it shows we "feel", and feeling is part of human nature. Whilst on these - I was the lowest I have ever ever been in my entire life - if I can get through that... Through waking up and not caring if the next packet kills me... I can get through anything.

It took me to get to deaths door to realise life is what you make it, we must control our own situations and not be led by them... When you're on them you don't care about the people who love you - they put you into auto pilot... Which then can spiral into a self destructive - self fulfilling - self loathing state.

I hope you've managed to stay clean. I will never ever touch those vile white, disgusting flavoured, textured, things again. X
Thank you so much for your post. You will be pleased to hear I am up to day 42 N+ free and for the first time today, I feel normal. I have been through a pretty hard time getting off this crap, but I had no choice, I had to 1) for the sake of my life and 2) for the sake of my loved ones, who were so worried about me. I had the normal withdrawals, sleeplessness( which was the worst) restless and aching legs and pretty bad anxiety, but I just knew that if I didn't stick with it, I would have wasted TWO weeks off work, and the total support of my husband. I just couldn't go back to square one, it just WASN'T an option, as hard as it was - I was determined. I hope all of my forum friends are doing okay. You have to really want to get off this crap, and everyone will find that right time. My time came when I got so ill that I just couldn't fake life anymore, I just couldn't. I had to find myself again. Yes, I am on anti depressants but that is all. I know I will soon be strong enough to get off them but my Dr, who has been a gem, says I need to be on them for now, until my brain function returns to normal. I am feeling so good now that I feel I could be okay, but I will stay under his care and make sure I am ready when the time comes. Anyone undertaking getting of this crap, my biggest advice to you is 1) get some valium to help you sleep and calm the anxiety, and 2) get some immodium, because the runs are the worst. Other than that, tell some one who cares, what you are going through and have that support. You will need it but also, YOU CAN get through it.

All my love and god bless you guys xxx
Hey codienegal, you are not a dummy for going back on them. That was exactly what I did the last time - I guess it was after about 3 months and I thought well one packet won't hurt, but it did hurt and ended up me be addicted to 60 a day again for the next year. I have posted what I did and why I did it. I went ct because tapering never worked for me, and I just fought through every day and yeah it was hard, but harder to keep up the N+ life, as someone else put it. I was sick, depressed and faking life. I just had to do something. You will need to be determined to do it and that is what i was. I was just SOOOOOO OVER IT....... Had the help of a decent dr this time. Was given 2mg valium to help calm me and help sleep and I am also on anti depressants. So that is my story and it can be yours too. I am nearly 50 days clean and I am back to my normal self. I am so happy to be here and feel really lucky that my husband supported me (yet again). I have two kids and have so much to live for. N+ isn't living. Good luck and I wish you all the best. xx
Hi guys,im trying to stop taking n plus,have been on it for two years,i didnt think i was addicted,didnt think it could happen to me,but it has and im not sure how this site works,but i dont know what to do
Hi Blinkie, what you have done is great. Admitting to a problem can be the most hardest thing to confess.

Maybe you could tell us a little bit more about your addiction. I was a secret 50 a day person, had many scares, bleeding stomach ulcers, kidney problems, low and nearly fatal electorates  etc.

Plenty of help on this site, and it's really not very difficult getting off them, it's staying off them is my problem. I've been clean 6 months whivh is the longest in 7 years and feel great, so there is a great life just waiting for you.

You've done the first bit. Realizing that you have a problem, and finding the courage to make your first post. Keep Posting!
I hope you are doing well, try to find some help, we all struggle with something, I have taken only three a day for, for what must be going on for twelve years, but I never seem to need more than that.
I guess we all have different addiction levels,
  Wolfmantrooper
Hi, hope you are ok. There is no need to feel ashamed- we did not choose to be addicts but were born this way. But there is recovery, one day at a time. Suggest NA, rehab or counselling? Well done for telling your husband but strongly advise you to get some help from people who understand or are recovering from addiction. I say this because I thought I could overcome my n+ addiction on my own but time proved that it was bigger than me and had no mercy upon me - it was bent on taking me to death despite my desire to live. Wishing you all the best, recovery from n plus is possible.
I have not been on this site for a while but glad  I did so today. Glad to report that  I do not want to use n+ today.

Reading your generous contributions has really helped me remember that I am an addict,  which is important for me, as this knowledge has now become a life saving fact for me.

Your contributions have helped me remember where i came from and what is waiting for me if i do not apply myself to my recovery, and I am grateful to all for this. I need to remind myself that I am an addict especially  when life is going well as it is today as i can forget about the long reign of terror n+ had over me.

To this day I am still miffed by the fact that I "failed" to decipher or absorb that small detail on n+ packets - "you can become addicted after three days". I say "miffed" because I have two degrees - ba and masters - can read English but for some unknown reason failed to understand the warning label.

Today I now know that I did not grasp the meaning of the warning label because I am an addict...full stop. I chose to ignore that detail in the belief that addiction would never happen to me; I would stop...and I would have the will power to stop.  Sadly I was proved wrong and I wrote about my experience on this site in sept 2012.

Thank you for keeping me clean today with the honest accounts of your experiences, all of which I can relate to. I wish US all the best in our desire to recover from our addiction to n+.

recovery is possible and am so grateful to be 19 months clean from that vile pill. I am grateful to the wonderful fellowship received from my fellow addicts in Na, the Na program, and my quiet and personal understanding of my higher power who happens to be god, but I am not a religious freak! I would not be 19 months clean without the aforementioned.

Today I embrace life with its ups and downs, unaided by n+. the desire to dim life's switch has fortunately been lifted from me today. I wish us all well. Sorry to rabble on but I am grateful to be clean today!!!!!

Posts: 5
Joined: December 26, 2012

Hi Guys,

Back again. I don't think I'm particularly unique; I take 45 Nurofen Plus tables a day - usually in doses of 15 tables, spread through the day. Been like this now for around 9 months, but been taking N+ at lower doses continuously for the last 5 years - with a few breaks in between, often listed in previous posts. Always creeping up the amount. Day after Boxing day I'd just had enough, so stop, took none.

So today is day 8, or day two again. Not sure how to count this.
End of day 5 was too much and I went and bought a packet of N+. I took half of them that evening and half the following evening. This is less than I usuall take - usually 1.5 to 2 packets a day so I'm trying to be a bit easy on myself, not say I have just gone back to day 1 and am as addicted as ever I was.

The first dose of N+ didn't give me any highs just made the cold turkey symptoms go away. And that respite helped. Was relieved to wake up next morning feeling all the symptoms back in full force rather then the gradual build up so it felt like I had not gone back to the start. The second dose did very little for me and I took it to try to deal with new years eve. Didn't work - horray! - so no N+ since.

So today is day two again if I'm starting out from scratch or day eight if not. I think I'm going to give myself a break, over the last 8 days I've taken 30 tablets rather than the usual 360+ tablets. Think thats ok to count as day eight.

Good luck to anyone else going through this.

Cerebrus.
I managed to taper from 30 pills daily down to 12 and finally just cut it off. You have to really want it.

I'm on the 2nd day of no pills and I feel pretty good actually. Keeping myself busy with movies, walking the dog, pools etc

The ibuprofen will be destroying your insides and my Doctor told me about 1 lady who was taking 100pills daily and had to have parts of her stomach removed due to the Ibuprofen damage.
Hi Jordan,

Grand job on tapering down and stopping. I hope things are going well for you. I agree about really wanting to quit. I've just got to a decision point; I'm not going to be an N+ addict all my life. The thought of being 10 years older and still taking N+ is a most sobering thought.

So logically I have to stop - that "another 10 years N+ addict" thought is too strong to ignore. So I've stopped now, rather than in a few months. And the thought of going back to the daily addiction routine of excuse making, lying, thinking which chemist I have not visited recently, expense and hiding from life makes me go cold inside that I feel I can’t go back.

So for me most of the physical symptoms are abating. Legs still feel a bit weak but that’s about all. I find the emotional side the hardest, and that is improving too. I am finding I can do things to lift me out of my low mood rather than rely on N+. And getting a few hours respite from that is  such a great relief and even better incentive to carry on.

So day 3 or 9 or what ever for me and going much better. A step forward on my journey.

Good luck to you to, all the best, Cerebrus.
I hated planning out which Pharmacy I had to visit and making up lies just to get what I wanted. But I got caught out and now can't/won't show my face in any pharmacy for a long time to come.

When my Doctor prescribed Codeine for the taper, the lady at the Chemist said ‘oh got yourself addicted have we’ very loud in front of the whole shop. I felt like a complete ****. But then I realised, so what if I became an addict, doesn’t make me any less of a human being and now I’m getting myself out of the situation.
Hi Jordan, Good for you for getting help and also ignoring the lady at the chemist. In my experience, individuals with such readily available negative comments often have something going on in their own lives they don't want people to know about and are just transferring that anxiety onto you? You’re doing something about your addiction - which is fantastic.

How are things going with you? I still feel a bit wrecked but am surprised at how much I'm doing. Part of this is driven by the need to be active to help manage the feelings of anxiety but a good part if wanting to do things. Which is a new feeling now the N+ has gone. And again, that's fantastic.

And to end on a joke: I just had a relationship with a girl made out of food wrap but I had to finish it, she was too clingy.

All the best, Cerebrus.

Im looking at all the posts,have been addicted to N+ for years,tried cold turkey last week,the first day wasnt to bad but the second,nausea,couldnt eat,restless legs,lathargic,and contantly on the loo..so I went out and bought some more tabs,,not sure wether to taper off or try cold turkey again,,,
just thought i would let you know i am Currently on day 6 of withdrawal from nurofen plus and solpediene max taking 4 of each twice a day.  I have been an addict for 17 years. First time round i became addicted to solpadpol 30 mg of codeine sulphate, prescribed for sciatica, the sciatia wnt but my use continued for a year.  At that time i was only taking the prescribed dose, i knew i had a problem, so took the opportunity whilst on holiday to quit in 1997. I had no problems with withdrawal symptoms really a few aches and pains but not too bad.  In 1998 i had viral meningitis and was prescribed dihydrocodine, for the next three and a half years, continued getting a script, even though there was no need, upping my dose, and taking nurofen plus and solpediene max when i ran out taking 200mg each time. In 2001 my gp caught on and refused to prescribe dihydrocodine. I actually stopped taking for a month then started taking nurofen plus and solpediene max at increasing amounts using 48 nurofen and 20 solpediene over the day. In 2003 i had a stroke, due to massive weight loss and iron and folate deficiency.  Loss of use of my right arm, speech, unable to work.  As i was the major wage earner of the family it was a hell of a shock. Should of packed up there but no after a few weeks was back on the tread mill, taking 6 nurofen plus and 5 solpediene max for a further two years, when i was rushed into hospital with perforated bowel, 6 weeks in hospital major surgery. Definetly should of stopped then but no back on the treadmill when my prescriptions for tramadol stopped i was taking 6 at a time, several times a day. Then back on nurofen plus and solpediene max at previous dosage. Last year i went through withdrawal 4 times, once i managed over three weeks, but the others were no more than a week. I have wasted a third of my life on these drugs. I spent every minute of my time, plotting, which chemist can i go to, how to get rid of the empty packets without anyone knowing. Not wanting to do anything with my day. And to think that out of all that plotting i would get possibly half an hour of bliss after taking, then because i was a long term user, really bad stomach ache, and nausea, for the rest of the day. I would sleep badly because of the pain in my stomach.  What a fool i am.  Is the pain of taking the nurofen worth it. Withdrawal pain is a lot better than when taking them, but i still want that short time of bliss.  Withrawal is just so depressing, unmotivated tired, headachey, achey (achy) legs.  Usually i get diarhoe this time i have not but feel constipated.  I hate the way that i have let my family down, my
hope you are doing well, life as an addict is hell, life in withdrawal feels like hell. but for me even the depression of withdrawal is better than the pain and sickness when taking the nurofen.
hi guys im very new to this . ive been reading all your post like many of u i took nurefeon plus for after pains after i had my son and just needed more and more i liked the feeling i go i took 60 aday everyday i took them for 5 years then i was put on subtex was on that for 3 years and went cold turkey from 16mg daily to nothing im on day 20 now it does get better im through the worse of it still have bad restless legs and slept 5 hrs in all in 9 days. and i keep bursting in tears coz i have 3 young children under 3. im so lucky there dad is very supportive. a worker from cdt where i use to go ryng this morning and said i dont think ur withdrawals hurt just uncomforbale cheeky ciw. u call go colledge and learn anything but they aint go a clue wot its like unless u bin there yourself many of em aint got a clue.
hope you are doing will i am on day 11 of withdrawal after a seventeen year addiction, and nurofen plus and solpedine max were my main choice.  I have tried several times to commit to staying clean but have relapsed each time.  This time i want to stay clean.  My energy levels are still low, but it is nice that i dont have the pain and nausea i suffered with whilst taking them.  keep up the good work everyone going through detox.
I don't know what day I'm on... But still clean. All that seems like a different life. My day consisted of a few things... Waking up, feeling achy and lethargic, knowing I needed more pills so getting ready. By the time I had got ready I had started get feverish, back ache etc. Going to a cash machine to withdraw a tenner. Working out which chemist I hadn't been to recently and getting my story straight before I entered. Casually saying "a packet of nurofen plus please" (it rolls of the tongue). Hoping I wouldn't be questioned... When asked which size - looking at the prices and faking that wow a 32 pack is so much better value so I may aswel go with them. Getting them, buying a drink. Walking to the car. Popping the first 8-10 out. Swallowing them... Sometimes choking, and gagging as I'd do it in one go. If I got the Cuprofen plus, they tasted worse than the nurofen, which often made me gag if I tasted them. Then 10 minutes later I started to feel normal again.

Most days I would go to work after. (Skipping uni). Walking into work just as I started getting a little buzz, which lasted no longer than 20 minutes. For the rest of the shift I couldn't wait until I got back to my car to take another 8-10. Throughout the shift I'd suffer from dizziness, really horrible heartburn and a general feeling of depression. Work is hard enough... Most people clock watch. I was clock watching until my next pills.

So, get to my car. Take more. Drive home. I'd think - I really need to eat something now. Trying to work out what wouldn't be too harsh on my stomach and also too filling and thick that it would take the buzz off the next pills I took. Eat something small, toast or maybe a milkshake. Have a cigarette - the cigarette would make me feel sick, so I'd have to run to the toilet and be sick. Then ready for the next lot of pills.

Sit infront of the tv, chill. Feeling sick, tired, kind of angry and aggrivated but just watch tv nonetheless. Then take some more. Go to sleep - feeling sick. Wake up in the middle of the night extremely thirsty, and with severe pains in my tummy. Go downstairs for food. Would eat maybe a sandwich, or a ready meal... Wash that down with a big glass of milk. Wouldn't have to worry about  killing the buzz of the next pills... As the next ones I had would be hours later.

Wake up... Start all over again! Heaven forbid I'd have to try and do an assignment or revise etc.

Looking back, I could almost cry. What a slave I had became for those pills! My life... I had no life. I was merely existing. I didn't care how I looked. Didn't care about my health. In the end (as I have mentioned before) I was admitted to hospital. Had three blood transfusions, internal bleeding from a duodenal ulcer and was severely anaemic, had no potassium etc.

Since then my health has been fine. Haemoglobin went from 4 to 13.7. I start councelling next week. I got some bad news the other day about my health which is unrelated. Kind of knocked me a lot. But I'll get through that without these pills. I had major dental work done over xmas and I was in agony... I can only take paracetamol which is truly rubbish, but that was my own fault, and I dealth with that. My teeth were wrecked from lack of minerals and being sick everyday. I also found out a close relative has gone back on heroin last week. This is the 15th year he has been on it. And I'm currently in the middle of my exams in uni.

All this - not tempted for that feeling. That's life - no one can be happy every second of everyday!! Its human to feel pain (mentally and physically). What's the use of blocking it out? Why not deal with it, why not take control of your own life - instead of letting a stupid pill dictate your whole day and life.

We all stumble across this site because we realise that we have some sort of a problem. I cannot stress how amazing it is to wake up everyday and not think about the next packet. To walk into a chemist and buy a standard pack of paracetamol. There are times where I'd like an escape, definitely! But for me, nurofen plus exarcerbates all these problems and spirals me into a pit of lonliness, isolation and depresion. I'd sooner go to sleep for a long nap to clear my head, or go for a long walk, drive, listen to music or watch a documentary about real people who have severe problems to put mine into perspective.

We live in a world where it is more common for someone to drown their sorrows than to talk about them. Where feeling low is seen as a weakness... Not as a common trait we all experience. What we need to do as addicts is change our coping mechanisms... Change how we deal with stress, anxiety or depression and rather than self medicating - learn and overcome it! We aren't weak... We just have a different way of dealing with what life throws at us.

Some people reading this may say "well I don't do it as a coping mechanism, I suffered from pain and became addicted". Well for many people that may be true. But also think about why you kept taking them, why you liked that feeling the codiene gave you, why you like an altered sense of reality. If its because of stress... Work out how you can minimise it, for anxiety - learn other ways to channel your anxiety, for depression - these pills will make you more depressed in the long run... Try talking to a counsellor, your gp? For me - the major thing was because I was unhappy living in the country I am living, infact I hate it. I'm stuck here for at least another two years, the pills made me feel content. I had to accept I am here and to make the most of it. The depression and general hatred for mankind and living disappeared once I stopped.

I know its not a quick fix... But there are usually reasons behind an addiction, whether you like to admit it or not.

Our minds can never ever be free if we keep craving something.
Please don't beat yourself up if you relapse... Rather use this as an opportunity to work out what caused you or triggered you to buy that packet again. If its to deal with the cold turkey feelings - well when I was going through ct - I just told myself I deserved it - I would get over it and it is what I need to experience to get off this! I had enough will power to not give in. I didn't ever want to touch them and so far I haven't.

Again - don't feel bad if you relapse. You should only ever regret something if you didn't learn from it. If you took nothing away from an experience then it was worthless... Learn, grow and move on from a bad experience...
Hey

I'm 25 and I was in such a terrible rut. Its awwful. This drug affects pretty much any age. My heart bled for you when I read your comments. Never ever apologise for commenting on here!! We all have our different stories but ultimately we are all connected on this site in the same way.

In my area (I'm in the uk) - the addictions team got in contact with me as an emergency case as I nearly died from it. Have you tried changing your doctor? Did you try tapering? Everybodies body is different, so everyone will experience their own unique journey through withdrawals. There is no way you can continue to keep using, and also I'm concerned about the symptoms you experience whilst withdrawing.

I'm so sorry it is so hard for you. I suppose I was relatively lucky with my withdrawal. I have had worse symptoms from illnesses like glandular fever or flu in the past. That's what kept me going.

My potassium was very low - when I was in hospital they put me on these horrible potassium dissolvable things. They really hurt my stomach but I was told that I wouldn't be discharged if my potassium didn't return to normal. I didn't go to a rehab... I think what helped me so much was I had an amazing doctor. She is absolutely amazing... The type of person who does truly want to help her patients. I saw her on day 5 of my withdrawal, and ended up being admitted to hospital the same day as my haemoglobin was at 4.

Regular check ups still with her and also phone calls. Maybe if I too had a gp like you do, my experience would be very different.

Please keep posting on here. I'd love to hear how you are. If you tried tapering? As Dave said, maybe that is a safer option for you, given the withdrawals you have.

Its weird because my uncle has been a heroin addict for 15 years and he has never experienced any health problems (he smokes it). Yet I was on nurofen plus for a year and nearly died.

Do not self loathe. You are a valuable human being who deserves a voice too. Your feelings are worth the same the same as everyone elses and you are equally entitled to write on this forum for support.

I used to hate myself for being so weak. I thought it was all self inflicted. I was choosing to swallow those pills. I hoped I would die and not wake up. I hope you aren't this low. I found this site after I came out of hospital and it has given me strength. To know how easy it is to go back on them... And remind myself how hard it is to get off them.

I really hope you do get to see what life is like without these horrible pills again. You deserve it as much as anyone else. Try a different doctor. Try tapering. The potassium I was on was called Sando K. Maybe they are even available to purchase online? Also you'll need iron tablets, and multi vitamins. Get bottles and bottles of water beside your bed so you don't have to get up. Maybe sleeping tablets? (Though you wouldn't want to replace one addiction with another). There are ways even if your doctor is unwilling to help. I could even talk to mine for you!!!

Good luck.
I really hope you kick or have kicked this insidious drug.

I have seen the end of an NP addiction and it was the death of my beautiful wife. Pleas get help because it will kill you too I can promise you that.

She died within 3 days of being admitted to hospital because she was so thin because of the continuing nausea that you will all get eventually and died before my chilren and myself. It was such a tragedy.

Please get help now or you will die too.
i am glad that you have remained off the pills, i am 17 days clean, and still struggling, after a 17 year addiction to nurofen plus and solpediene max, I have to remind my self every day that the bliss i felt when taking the tabs only lasted less than half an hour, and then just stomach pain, nausea, and really bad indigestion, keep up the good work.
It is really hard... even when the physical cravings start to go, sometimes you still crave that feeling. And it's crazy isn't it, because it does only last half an hour, then you have to deal with the feelings of depression, sickness, etc. Its like why? Whats the point of it all, really?? Sleeping it actually better than that feeling, if it is an escape we want, why not go for a nap... but then you wake up, and you almost feel like something is missing.

I still struggle, its as if I am lacking something. But really I'm not lacking anything, I have everything I need.

17 years is a long long time... but you can definitely do it. I tried to give up smoking a few weeks ago, but I actually found that lots harder than the tablets... and smoking does nothing, it's a stupid habit!

That's what it is though... a habit, we are all creatures of routine and habit, and I think thats what makes it soo hard. You feel like something is lacking... like you are incomplete. I think thats when the real battle comes. To stay strong and work through the mental side of the cravings.

Have you got any support or help through anyone? I have found that reading forums like these really helped me, because I realised how easy it is to go back on them, and to fall into that again.

The fear of that, is what keeps me from never taking them again. As I know, simply just taking one is not an option. Like when I drink, I can rarely go out for one drink, because once I feel that hitting me, I want more and more... though funnily enough, I rarely drink, drinking has never been a problem for me. For some reason prescription drugs have.... maybe because we convince ourselves that it isn't as bad as alcoholism, or illegal drugs etc. It isn't true though. Even heroin and cocaine are used for medicinal purposes... if someone offered me a shot of morphine, or a shot of heroin to the same strength, I'd take the morphine... why is that?

I have been doing research into drug companies etc and have read and watched some pretty good stuff.

I suppose no one apart from the little voice in our heads is making us do it. Have you given up many times before? How many were you on a day, if you don't mind me asking?
hi i just found out im pregnant 2-3 weeks
ive been taking nurofen plus for about 2 and half years,
i used to take 4 a day den it went up to 15+.
the last month i have cut down alot.
i tired to stop completely today but felt very angry
so i took 2 in the evening and 3 bout 5 hours ago.
im going to stop completely 2morro as i am very worry about my unborn
baby .
i have gone to my doctors before and they act like its nothing.
if i have withdraw will it harm my baby?    
I found this -

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/us/10babies.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Doesn't say what to do, but I'm guessing from what you have said, you know it is very serious.

I also read on another drugs site that

"If you are pregnant - It can be dangerous for your baby if you withdraw from codeine when pregnant. It is better to reduce your dose very slowly. Codeine may cause your baby to be born small and have withdrawal symptoms after birth."

I don't want to advise anything - as this is an extremely sensitive matter - you need medical advice. If your doctors are not helping, find out the number for your local drugs teams, even a local rehab centre- to ask their advice. Look up centres... there will be groups in your area. You may find them online.

I know my sister is pregnant, and she has been advised to not even take paracetamols.
thank you
3 days ago i tried to stop completely and it was really bad i could not sleep
I had pain all over my body. but now im cutting down to 2 a day.
its really sad that the doc pay no mind to this and they think its a joke
but thanks again for relying back nice to know that there are people that care.
Hi and thanks for your post. Hope you are well. Glad to report I am clean and sober today. God willing I will be two years clean and sober in May 2013. I am so bloody grateful to be off those vile pills. Wishing you all the best with your recovery. Look after the day and the years will look after themselves.
Just read your story and it brought a chill to me as your story is my story. Keep up the good work. It's not about will power, it's about realising one pill will never be enough and so the cycle goes. I stay stopped today by not taking the first pill. Stopping was not the problem for me; it was staying stopped that was the horrendous challenge but recovery is possible. Wishing you all the best!!!!!
Have you considered NA - narcotics anonymous? I say this because each time I tried to stop on my own my will power always failed me.

One major reason why i have stayed stopped is because  I have and continue to have fellowship with other addicts through going to Na meetings, listening to their stories, etc. In many instances  my story is different to my fellow addicts as I have never taken heroin, cocaine, etc.

However, what I strongly identify with and have in common with my fellow Na addicts is insanity - the thinking in me that can make me belive that this will be the last time i take a n+,  this high will be better than the last ...then i will stop...but ultimately my experience to stop on my own is that i never stayed stopped.

Allow me to illustrate what I mean by insanity by asking you to consider the following scenario:

You have done a day's work so you decide to treat yourself by getting a takeaway from your local restaurant. You get back home, settle in front of the tv with the food. Delicious!

Food finished, Tv programme finished, off to bed you go.

However, during the night you are awoken by severe stomach ache, cramps etc. You are a bright individual so you quickly self diagnose - food poisoning!

Unfortunately you spend the best part of the night and all of the next day vomitting, diahorea, sweating, stomach cramps etc but still have to go to work.

Your heart is palpitating so fast and you can't function at work as you didn't sleep last night. You feel dull, listless and irritated that your partner wants to spend time with you on your return home from work. You just want to isolate, sleep.

Now ask yourself this - on your return home from work, to make yourself feel better, would you go back to that same takeaway restaurant and in your  best normal but cheery voice say:

"I will have the exact same  order I had last night please? Or even better lie and say:

”Actually make it a double portion, as it works out cheaper than one, and I have a friend coming round for dinner tonight"

Would you do the above?

Takeaway bagged, you speedily return home.

However, before you have even got through your front door you have already excitedly and breathlessly unwrapped the takeaway, trembling with euphoric anticipation not even bothered to get a plate from the kitchen but poured yourself a glass of water, sat in front of the tv with no care to what was on the box and proceeded to greedily gobble both portions of food.

Now tell me honestly - would you really have gone back to that restaurant knowing fully well what their food did to you in the night and how it left you feeling the next day?

I suspect your answer is no and so would mine but what is the difference between the above scenario and my taking of n+? None!

Why did i continue with n+ despite the fact I knew it was stealing life from me?

Because I am an addict!!!

Because i am an addict, my desire to change my feelings with what i think will work - n+ in my case - led me to lie, steal ( "borrow" money from my partner's purse without telling her), let myself down, family, friends, work etc just to be alone with that thing called n+ ...and when in this state of insanity I have no regard for the consequences, I have no desire to participate in my life.

In this state of insanity, even the torrid wretched smell of my own death will not keep me away from n+, as i have no control over the physical, mental and compulsive bshaviour in me is triggered were I to take just even one n+.

And so that's why I go to NA; to keep the flame of my insane thinking alive, to act as a reminder  because my insane thinking has shown me that I can forget I am an addict.

I am addict and this is the greatest and most priceless knowledge I have today. That said this knowledge is redundant without action on my part.

Action for me is going to NA meetings, staying connected with fellow recovering addicts, seeing my therapist once a week (i was very reluctant to engage one at first but reaping wonders from the process of self discovery!), sharing honestly at meetings and with my Na and Aa sponsor, learning to identify and express my feelings, doing the Na steps etc.

I am truly grateful to NA for it has given me back my life. Today I am in the world of  the living and not with the living dead. God willing, day at a time, I will continue to be clean and sober. I feel so grateful and blessed to be in a position where i can accept that for me 1/2, 1, 2, 5, 6, 12, 24, 32, 64, etc N+ will never be enough.

Wishing you all the best.
I was addicted to N+ for over 6 years and only the in the last was I taking 30pills daily. I told my Doctor and was immediately put on pure Codeine as Ibuprofen at that dose is dangerous. I was lucky and didn’t get any internal damage from it.

I was also flagged in every pharmacy and I just couldn’t be bothered anymore. I was weaned down and eventually just jumped off from 6 pills. Unfortunately for me I was awake for 5 days and got serve sleep deprivation where I was hallucinating and just losing my mind. The physical part was unpleasant but the being awake was the worst part for me.

I think what also made it worst was all these drugs they kept giving me to put me to sleep, nothing was working it just made me feel spaced out.

So after 6 days they gave me IV Codeine, just enough to put me to sleep and I slowly came off it. I’ve been drug free for over 2 weeks and the best part is no planning the pharmacy, or trying to make friends/family buy and the saving of money is great. Plus my stomach and bowels feel so good. No more worrying if I run out or am about to run out of pills.

I am a lot more active and alert now. My partner and I go swimming and hiking and it just feels great. You can dooooo it!
Forgot to add:

You can’t just lay around while you withdrawal. You need to keep your mind busy and I know this is hard because I’ve been there. If you can’t sleep you need to get up and do something instead of lying there getting frustrated. I was folding clothes and cleaning the house early hours of the morning. lol.

First couple of days your body feels like a rock and it hurts. I constantly had a fan going in my room since my temperate was all over the show. I tried taking Imodium (immodium) but I kept getting a fever from it so I had to put up going to the bathroom constantly. The restless sore legs are irritating as f**k. Really hot baths with relaxing oils help relieve for a while but it does come back.

If you are having troubles eating, try drinking Endurance Complete.

My partner took me swimming and just moving in the water feels really really nice. Force yourself to go for light walks and listen to music. When I was at the end of my tether, music and getting mad does help. I constantly said to myself “I am in control of my mind and body and I WILL get through this” “I CAN do this” If you need to listen to emotional music and cry, do it!

You are already feeling sick from taking so many pills, so what is a week of added unpleasantness to not rely on something that will in the end f**k you over in so many ways. You can do it! Remember, so many people in the world are going through all sorts of drug withdrawals, you are not alone, you are not a bad person for getting addicted and you will be free.

P.S Don’t even think about drinking Alcohol, it will make it worse lol as I learned.
Hey -

Ahh no worries.... I've been through it now, and came out the otherside, it is so worth it!! And thats brilliant news you have cut down... Please keep going. You found this forum, and you sought help. I can't give you sound medical advice, but anytime you are feeling weak or low... I will always be here :)

Keep going, there is nothing better than making yourself proud x
Hey :)

Wow - that is amazing!!!!  2 years :).... I'm proud of you and I don't even know you! It is a battle, and its funny because everyone who knows me think I am one of the strongest people they know etc. I think that made it much harder to seek help. Also, I just feel that I must deal with my own problems. This whole experience is so humbling though. I realise now - if someone is concerned about you - it isn't because they have no idea what they are talking about and I know best, it is because they see something I do not see.

I went for a mental health assessment two days ago. As I previously studied two years of a psychology degree, I was aware of the symptoms of depression and the fact that when you are depressed, you often don't realise it yourself. So after over an hour of questions, the psychologist said I was not depressed at all, its more of a readjustment. I had read up on PAWS - post addiction withdrawal symptoms. I think its just my body all regulating itself. I was pleased that I clinically had nothing wrong. She even asked me if I heard voices lol. She asked me if I felt like I needed it, I said that I think everyone needs it, and I am unsure because I clearly was unable to control myself at that point, and if I was depressed I may not recognise it. So any suggestions or referrals she has, I will happily except and do.

I did want to have counselling though, so a part of me was disappointed lol. I believe everyone - no matter their circumstances - at one point or other benefit from a form of counselling. Plus, I love talking, and analysing everything.

You are so right, it is that ONE pill, and recognising that it will never ever be that one pill. And hey.... no one is forcing us to swallow it!! Just that demon in your head. But once you get through the withdrawals... I think it becomes easier, then it is the mental challenge.

Thank you for your message :)... everyday we are n plus free... we have won
It is amazing when you come through the otherside... and start appreciating the little things in life!! It was music which was my savior!! I have always adored it, but that year I was on it, I didn't care. I listen to it everyday now... gives me motivation, calms me etc. I even tidy just so I can put it up really loud and dance my way through the whole house lol

Anyway, I am pleased you are on the otherside of this :)

Blimey, what harrowing reading.  This is Day 1.  Actually, it's not.  Day 1 was 6 years ago when I was referred to a drugs counsellor from my GP and gradually tapered down to almost nothing.  And then he left the hospital and I went straight back up.
I've been addicted to NP for about 15 years...and am probably doing what others have done and actually felt proud of myself reading some of the entries above that I 'only' take 20-30 pills a day and touch wood - no side effects yet.  Isn't that awful, that I should take any OUNCE of pride or consolation from that?  I am dogged by the fear that each day will be the day that my stomach erupts in ulcers or my kidney's fail...why on EARTH do I continue to let myself be haunted by that fear rather than just do something about it.  I run a business, I own a house, I'm actually pretty smart. So why have I allowed this stupidity to go on?  I don't mean of course that any of us are stupid...I'm just ashamed and embarrassed and deeply angry at myself.  I think part of my likes this secretive sign of a fundamental failure in me.
So I guess this Day 2.  I took a deep breathe and told my new girlfriend (of 6 months) about the addiction last week - I just couldn't face having the secret and I know that to tackle this - she'll have to know what I'm going through.  I don't mean to burden her with it - I know this is something I have to do for myself.
I've written to the place in Scotland and I guess they'll send me a withdrawal plan...and I will find a counsellor I guess.  I promised I would look into what happens next and that's when I found this forum.  And have sat here crying with a mixture of relief (not the only one) and fear (SO hard to do this).
I guess the first thing I want to say is how positive and uplifting the GOOD stories are and thank goodness people have been up for sharing them.  I think I'm going to need those stories more as the weeks or months go by.
Right now, my biggest fear is that it will be easier to lie and not get to Day 3 of ACTUALLY starting to stop.  And my other biggest fear is what might replace the NP addiction...I am terrified of turning (back to) alcohol or cutting - both things I've joined up with NP of secret 'fails'.
So thank you to all those who've posted.  It's amazing to know there's a web of people to reach out too.  Now I just have to bite the bullet and stop procrastinating.
Iv been addicted to n+ for 5 years since the birth of my son. Started taking them for my head aches but liked the way they made me feel and helped with my anxiety not had any now for just over 2 weeks! The withdrawals were nasty and now I feel depressed and suffering really bad with anxiety feel tierd all the time and wish I wasn't here, sometimes I feel a bit better but think about buying some every min of everyday. How long will this last
I am on Day 6 of NOTHING!!! No Nplus, No tramadol :)

I had what I call a "window of grace" at long last....the willingness to stop came, and by some freaking miracle, I have NOT had the horrorshow detox I had on previous attempts. I tapered down to .25 tram a day and kept the Nplus as low as I could without causing nose dripping and the whole rigmarole. And now I am off and feeling wonderful. Really.

And no one is more surprised than me:)

Great to read you all, and I hope Dave posts an update!!
I forgot something important.

I discovered last year, after a health scare, that I have Hypothyroidism.

Since I have been taking the thyroid replacement, I have been feeling better and better, and now I really believe I was taking the tram and the Nplus to self medicate my body aches and the rest. I think I have been able to put down the Nplus and Tram because I am not feeling as rotten as I was.

Just sharing this to encourage people to get tested for it, very easy to do and might help :)
having a look at your plan would be really helpful. I am taking 6-8 per day.
Hi All,
I have been a nurofen plus addict for over 8 years now, and it has slowly increased into a problem that could, and most likely will, ruin my life. I started after having my jaw broken at age 18. I was mostly happy, had lots of friends, but once the pain went away I continued to take the pills, I liked the way they made me feel. As you are all aware due to your own experience, I soon began taking more then the recommend dosage, and it just climbed from there. I now take 30 at a time, usually 2 times per day. I find if I have anything at all in my stomach then I don't feel the kick from the nurofen.. So one of my main health issues at the moment is the fact that I weigh 42 kg, which is not healthy at all, I only eat once per day. Other health problems include kidney stones, poor kidney function and pain, blood in my urine almost always, I vomit daily, severe constipation (only go once every 10-14 days), and I have had an operation due to this and am in need of a second. But the scariest of all is the fact that I came off the pill to try to fall pregnant approximately 8 months ago and have not yet had a cycle, which means I'm not ovulating! I have researched and have found that doctors are just now linking this problem with the over using of nurofen plus. This terrifies me, I have the most amazing, supportive husband and we both want nothing more then to have a baby. My husband is aware of my problem with nurofen plus, however he thinks I have managed to quite.

Please someone, I need some help! I haven't ever officially tried to quit I don't think, because I get withdrawal pains if I've even been 1 day without np.  So I'm not sure whether to go cold turkey or to taper down, but I just NEED to be off them!

I can relate to every single post, and have felt as though a lot were written about me. I just need some guidance..

Has anyone else experienced the fertility issues due to the np addiction? If so, did stopping cure it?

Also, has anyone else experienced a complete lack of sex drive?

I have so many more questions and could write pages and pages about what I need help with, but if anyone can please share with me your helpful hints or wisdom, I would be so appreciative!

And to any others out there who might just be starting to take a few tablets a day, cause you like the feeling they provide you... Please stop, don't take them and throw them away, you will ruin your life. I never thought I would use the word 'addict' to describe myself, but it happens so quickly.
Hi everyone,

I am a n+ addict. Actually this is the first time I have actually admitted it to anyone. I am 25, due to get married and sitting at work thinking what chemist to go to and wishing the pain in my side would go away. I take minimum 32 pills a day and have been doing so for nearly four years. I make up excuses, lie, enable others to get n+ for me - anything so I can get my hit. To be quite honest I am really scared. I come from a typical straight laced english family where these things are not discussed and you deal with them yourself. I tried to go CT a little while back but my will was not strong enough and I gave up after 3 days. Today was the first day that I have researched n+ addiction and am overwhelmed at all of you who are just like me. Actually I feel that this is sort of the first step because I have admitted it you all. Thanks to all of your posts - you inspired me to fess up and tell you about my addiction.

Nphelp - I looked into this - apparently it can cause infertility but on stopping the drug this should be reversible.

xx
Hi everyone

I'm on day 3 of cold turkey from a 4 year codeine addiction usually staying with in the guidelines 8 solphadine max or cocodamol (sp?) however since January I've been taking nurofen plus and realised I had to stop when I was taking 12 to 14 a day. This may not seem like a lot but I knew I was on a downward spiral.  Unlike others I didn't initially start taking them for a specific pain I just used them as an emotional crutch to soothe and ease the stress of my days.

Anyway like I've said im on day 3 and its pretty grim, headaches, sore limbs, feverish and like I have the flu.  I still able to functison though it hasn't knocked me off my feet.  However I've never felt so low and down.  I've been having bouts of crying. No self-esteem or confidence. Depression.  I can take the physical symptoms I just can't snap myself out of this depression. It's like nothing will be good again.

I know this may sound dramatic, and I keep telling myself it's because of the tablets. Not helping. Anyone else had this???
Hi Guys,

I've been looking at this forum for quite some time as i find all of these posts so interesting to read. I am addicted to Nurofen plus but not on the same scale to most of you. Over the years I have used N+ as a hangover cure & headache cure and also if there was an event I didn't want to go to and needed a little boost I would take N+.

I only ever need 2. Sometimes I have taken more but I try to stick to 2 per day. I got down recently to 2 every 5 days. I can't seem to get past 5 days without taking 2. I get the same withdrawl (withdrawal) symtoms (symptoms) as someone who takes 20 a day! I get lathargic, runny nose and this heavyness/pressure in my head like im wearing a head band thats too tight.

My last 2 pills were on Saturday and I am going to try my best to get through this week with none as i want to kick this habit for good.

Good luck to everyone, wheather your taking 2 or 50 - i know how you feel.

Try Panadol Rapid... i know you may laugh at this - it takes a while but may take some of the fluey symtoms (symptoms) away. x
Hi Nphelp. I was addicted to N+ for years, taking about 50 per day. Ended up in hospital numerous times for stomach ulcers & kidney problems. Tried several times to go CT, even got to day 4 but I found that the withdrawals I was having I just couldn't go on and would relapse again.

I am now 2 years N+ free and have absolutely no cravings anymore.

This is how I got clean.
1. I gradually tapered down to ten per day. This is not nearly as hard as people say, try it.

2. I stocked up on all the medications that I would need. This comprised something for diarrhea, Librium, I had 100 10mg saved up. Something to help you sleep. The Librium should help but if you can get your hands  on something better do so by all means. And most of all a drug called Naltrexone.

3. I stopped at 10 N+ daily and began using large amounts of  Librium for the next week. Starting at 16 per day and weaning back about 2 per day. I realise that this drug is addictive but I consider it safe if only used for a week.

4. On day 5 I started myself on Naltrexone. I can't speak highly enough about this drug, for me its a miracle drug and a complete game changer. It magically reduces your craving for any drug and most of all frees your mind from the constant thoughts of using, obtaining and hiding your supply.

5. Stop taking  Taking Librium after 7-10 days. Take Naltrexone every single day after day 5. I still take it every day and now don't even think about using.

I hope my story is of some benefit to you. This is the way its worked for me after many failed attempts.
Hi Davey, I am trying to wean myself off them also.  I am down to 4 per day and thought I would try that for a month but if you can send me your plan at least I will have a better idea on how to deal with this.  I have been taking N+ for approx 2-3 years but after reading other comments, I dont think I will have as much trouble getting off them.  
Tell your Doctors that you are addicted to such a huge amount of N+ and they WILL provide Codeine for a slow taper because of the damage the ibuprofen could be causing. You will feel so much better tapering off the pure Codeine I know I did.

You could also ask for Dihydocodeine Sustained Release tablets as they have a half life of 12 hours. You don't get high off these but it keeps you from withdrawing but unfortunately for me personally they made me extremely sleeping.

I know of a lady who was eating 100 Nurofen Plus pills daily until her stomach erupted and she nearly died. They had to remove most of her stomach due to the damage the ibuprofen has caused, don't let that happen to you.
Coming off n plus is very difficult, I know! My view is that it is better to aim to be 100% clean and not stop one drug just to cross addict to other drugs which can equally be just as harmful...that's my view!
The only workable plan is not to take the first n plus. In my experience just one was never enough and even 32 became too few.

I tried to stop on my own hundreds and thousands of times and never got beyond 2 or 5 days.  I ended up with a perforated bowel, perotinitis, bleeding ulcers; I was at death's doorstep and in hospital intensive care for ten days because of what I had done to myself.

This experience showed me finally I am an addict....the most important knowledge I have today over and above my two degrees. I will and do not take any tablets with any traces of codeine or caffeine today. I will not take tramadol etc as from my experience with n plus one would never be enough.

With the help of narcotics anonymous I have been released from that dark depressing all consuming self destroying world of n plus. I was never going to win; it was going to kill me.

I will be two years clean on 5 may 2013.
Hello all. Found your stories incredible and it's actually nice to feel they are people out there like me. Hello. I've been addicted to Nurofen Plus for 13 months now. 500mg/12.8 Codeine.  I started taking them for headaches and loved the warm relaxed feeling of them. I am from the UK and my nurofen plus would cost £7 every 2 days or so. It started small like 4 a day then just recently been doing 20-24 a day for 5 months. I've had no liver ache or any problems. Apart from a few funny stomachs here and there. I've been wanting to stop for ages. But I've plucked up the courage and gone cold turkey. My last Codeine hit was 20 hours ago and I'm feeling fine. I know withdrawal symptoms will kick in soon so I've substituted nurofen plus with just normal paracetamol I haven't yet taken any form on painkiller in 20 hours I'm going to see how I feel. I suggest taking vitamins and liver milk thistle after you give up as this will fight illness and withdrawal symptoms and milk thistle will repair your liver back up in no time. I used to take Nurofen plus to feel happy and confident. I would take 4 before a job interview and it would work! But humans can't live like that. I know how it feels. If anyone reads this I hope you find my post helpful and good luck to anyone out there quitting or taking. I'm 20 and Male.
Get as many tools as you can. But I can't stress this enough, when you are 5 days clean start taking Naltrexone. For me any my many many relapses I regard it as a miracle drug. Not only does it reduce your craving for all drugs including alcohol, but it also clears your mind from the never ending prison that is addiction. I take it every day, its not addictive, and most of all it works! Any GP will give you a script if you tell him what you want it for.

Please Please try it!!  

Naltrexone, I agree is very useful and if it is keeping you clean then I would agree that for you it is a 'miracle drug'.
However, a Liver Function Test (LFT) is indicated before Naltrexone is started for a variety of reasons.
Well done to everyone who is doing well.
It is easy for professionals to 'downplay' the seriousness of Codeine addiction as our working day will be dominated by Heroin and Crack users.
If you need support your local drug service should run some kind of psycho-social programme to help equip you with the psychological tools to stay clean.
We have just launched an on-line programme that will be really useful for people who work or do not feel that the usual approaches are suitable or attractive.
I cannot recommend NA strongly enough. I send my clients along to the local groups and the majority attend time and time again.
You will be taken seriously and people will help you.
Never underestimate the power of the 'share'.

Best wishes to everyone

G
Substance Misuse Specialist  (Suffolk UK)
So, I have unfortunately got myself into a predicament, made worse only by the fact that this is round #2 for me. Have been taking 40(ish) N+ every day for what must be almost 4 years. About a year ago I saw a doctor and managed to wean down on codeine tabs which I really didn't stick out for long once I had come off them - maybe a month? I now have to do this again, but probably on my own as i can't imagine going back!
I went to another doctor a while ago (one I didn't know) and got not a lot of help there unfortunately. So I am now just trying to taper off the actual N+ tablets myself - which I have half heartedly been attempting for months!
My stomach is wrecked and I basically suck.
I can't really get time off work so I will have to do it this way and hope I can reallly stick to it.
My partner knew last time but there is no way I can tell him this time.
Ummm...any encouraging words appreciated.
Has anyone succesfuly stopped doing it this way?
Tags: N+, Addiction, wean
Tags: N+, Addiction, wean
Tags: N+, Addiction, wean
I wish I had checked back on this thread sooner, as I thought it was dead.

None of the old regulars seem to be posting anymore---weird!

Anyways:

I am still off the Tram and Nurofen :) It's a miracle, and I am really grateful. I struggled on and off for four years and now I am free of it.

My advice, based on my experience: find out WHY you need to take so much of this stuff. In my case it was finding out I had low thyroid that unlocked the key. After I was put on T4 thyroid replacement (although it took a few months), literally the day came when I just didn't want to take Nplus anymore, like, the "need" for it had been removed. I believe, in my case, that is what caused this whole mess for me: undiagnosed Hashimotos. It causes a lot of annoying symptoms one of which is joint pain and emotional 'downness'. Nplus filled this hole for me, and over time I started taking it because I HAD to as well as that I wanted to. It cost me a lot of money, maybe even my fertility, etc.....but I just glad I am free of it now. It was like a prison in the end, and I really feel for those of you still caught up in it.

This thread isn't active enough anymore for daily support I don't think, but I will try to look here when I can.

This thread helped me immensely, even when I was still taking the pills, I would read everyones experiences and felt better. And then the day came where I too became a success story :) You can too.

So try and find out if there is anything else wrong with you that is creating this 'need' for the Nplus, and then take the advice of people here who have been successful.

Good luck!!
Just for the record, I've been finished with Nplus and Tram since February 10th 2013.

:)
Are you from UK?  did you get on subs from drugs n alcohol?
I am waiting to be allocated to a keyworker n wondered how long the processs took to be prescribed subs as i need to be off codeine n re-build my life x
Have you contacted your local drug n alcohol service? They offer things like counselling n depending on funding substitute perscribing eg subutex. They may try to help you reduce or write a journal on your daily use. It's all confidential. Would you consider this? Did you contact your GP? (Sorry on iPhone so can't read your posr same time as typing to see if you mentioned GP).

Evey x
I've been a N+ addict for about 5 years taking 25/30 a day. Like everyone else in the end I was taking them just to feel normal. I'm very proud to say that today is Day 17 of my going cold turkey. I knew this was the only way for me to quit. It has been a total nightmare with all the withdrawals especially the restless legs and lack of sleep. I had to confide in my mum which was the hardest thing I've every done but she has been so supportive and actually stayed with me for the first couple of weeks. Had she not have I'm sure I would have relapsed. The restless legs have eased off now and I'm actually managing nearly 6 hours sleep a night but my calf muscles are very sore which I'm sure is the result of me constantly having to move my legs for the past two weeks. I've still got the runs and am reluctant to take Imodium (immodium) cos I took them at the start and that when I started to vomit so am worried to take anymore. I have zero energy and feeling very low. I'm very concerned by the comments on here about people that have gone back on N+ after quitting. I feel very strong about never going back on them but am sure others felt that way too so any advice on what happens to make you return to these life ruining pills would be greatly appreciated. Forewarned is forearmed etc etc. I never want to go through this again and although I know I'm not fully over all this yet, I do feel I'm well on my way. My last N+ tablet was 18 days ago so I know I'm over the worst. Still can't quite believe I've finally done what I've been wanting to do for years.
Hi Angie & Welcome. This is an old thread. What you should do if you'd like to ask a question is go to the orange button at the top of the page and click on it Then cut and paste your above story into it and hit send. It will then appear on the forum. When you see the little hour glass thing, it means it's an old thread. They're dated.
Oh ok thanks, I'll do that
Hi, I have been here before, I had gone through the pain of CT from N+ and also managed to quit smoking weed and cigs.
I lasted 8 months clean.

At the end of my Ct last time I felt so energized and like a new person, that I managed against all odds to start a new business.

The stress of doing that (my excuse) got me back to the dreaded N+ so that I could physically cope on my own the labour that was required to set the business up.

So I am back in the s*** and again I have to face and deal with this now as I have many commitments to deal with including travel in the coming months.

So here I am on DAY 2 of CT, feeling horrible physically and emotionally for having let myself and my family down after such a good progress.

I had relapsed about a year ago and have kept it a secret, when I told my wife, she was furious for a few days before she calmed down and decided to again help and support me in my battle with the poisons.

It is so easy to relapse, no matter how long you have been of, you are always in the danger zone if like me you have an addictive nature.

I am committed to fight my addictions no matter how many times I have to do it.

Good luck to all
Gus I remember you, and I am sorry to hear you are struggling again :(

I hope the CT went ok!

I am still off them, believe it or not. I have a whole nightmare now, and that's trying to get the right Thyroid replacment meds and all that jazz. But nothing was as awful as being a slave to N-plus. I am very glad to be free of that.

@ Angie809, WELL DONE!

As for why people go back, well, numerous reasons I'm sure. For me, the last times I went back was because I was sufferring from untreated hypothyroidism and didn't know it. So the pain and discomfort kept driving me back--I was self medicating!.

Others have other reasons I am sure.

Once I got on thyroid replacement, the urge and want to take so much Nplus just evaporated slowly.....I no longer needed them and so I was able to wean down and finally off. I always encourage people here to get checked for things like that to make sure there isn't anything wrong.
I was a OTC codeine addict for 5 years and found it very difficult to get a clear picture of the withdrawal process from anywhere. This made going through it very difficult, I had 3 failed cold turkeys and 2 years of failed taper plans. I think if you know what to expect it takes some of the fear away so this is my experience of getting off the drug.

The withdrawal starts on day 2 anywhere from midday to late evening depending on your level of dependance. Typical symptoms include restless legs, insomnia and feeling wired

Day 3 is the worst you are likely to experience. Typical symptoms include restless legs, insomnia, feeling wired, diarrhea and feeling like you have a dose of the flu.

The acute phase of withdrawal lasts 5-7 days and is unpleasant.The only medication that will help during this phase is Valium (Diazepam 5mg three times a day) and sleeping tablets (Zopiclone 7.5mg once a night). If you are going to use these I would advise you to only to use them during this phase to avoid triggering another addiction.

Days 8 - 14 this phase can be  difficult if you don't know whats going on. Unlike the first week, where each day gets a little better, it can seem like there's no improvement (HANG IN THERE!). Symptoms during the second week are restless legs, insomnia and feeling wired. However you will feel better than week one.

Day 14 - 21 The main physical symptoms are over and you will feel more relaxed and the restless legs should be settling down or gone. Now that the wired feeling has subsided a heavy depression can descend for a couple of days but this will soon lift. Gradual improvements are usually felt each day. Insomnia still persists.

Day 21 - 28. Things start to get a lot better! Unfortunately the insomnia will continue but you will start to feel a lot better emotionally and mentally. By the end of the week or sooner you will start feel "Normal" again.

Day 28 The insomnia may persist for while. How long will depend on the length of your addiction and how much you used. 8 to 12 weeks is typically the absolute maximum unlike benzodiazepine post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) which can persist for months or even years with lots of unpleasant symptoms.

Throughout this whole process your brain is readjusting to the absence of the opiate drug. Once it starts producing sufficient quantities of dopamine and endorphins the withdrawal is over.

Things that help in my experience are:
>Imodium (immodium) (binds to the opiate receptors in the colon and helps prevent diarrhea and cramps)
>Sugary foods (help lift mood) but not milk or dark chocolate which contains theobromine which is a stimulant similar to caffeine but weaker.
>Keep hydrated
>Avoid Caffeine (not good for insomnia)
>Emotional support (from family or friends)
>Hot baths (eases restless legs and promotes sleep)

In my experience getting "clean" is the first step. I would recommend attending Narcotics Anonymous to stay off codeine long term otherwise the chances of starting the whole sorry cycle again when life gets difficult is high.

I hope this information helps, it has been learned through bitter experience. Codeine addiction pretty much destroyed my life but now I am clean and in recovery. If I can do it anybody can. GOOD LUCK.  

8-12 weeks is the maximum it takes for the brain to readjust from codeine withdrawal. Benzodiazepine PAWS can last for years. Just to reassure anybody reading this
Hi, I've only been taking nurofen plus for a couple of weeks now, about 30 pills a day. I was wondering if I'll have the same withdrawal symptoms?

I have been n+ free for a year now... I have posted before, I wish everyone the very best of luck here... life is just so much better being free of this addiction. I look back and cannot believe all that I went through and how I used to behave. Also, opiate withdrawal in your brain can take up to a year... it isn't a matter of just a few weeks. You will always experience ups and downs, it is only now that I am completely back to where I was mentally... and this is the case for many people. Read up on PAWS for opiate addiction, it will state all of this. So, after several months and you still don't feel how you used to feel, keep strong, it takes time!! You have got over the physical side, the mental side takes a lot longer (which is why many people end up relapsing). Furthermore, REMEMBER as human beings - we have days were we feel low, or sad, or lack motivation and energy... thats just what being a human is like. I had to remind myself of this because the pills just completely numb you...

Anyone need any help just ask.

I also read a post about a woman who is finding it hard to conceive... I haven't heard about this yet, my periods stopped for months and months - around 10 months... but they came back after the blood transfusions I had. My blood count was so low and I was majorly anemic, that was the reason why they had stopped. They can also stop due to malnutrition, imbalance of hormones and weight loss... all of these are related to nurofen plus abuse... But again, I had three blood transfusions. My blood count went from 4 to 8 to 13.7 and the next month I was completely fine :)
am reading yer posts,,, Many Thanks keep going x
Hi Gina,

Hope you are ok and managed to get on the road of recovery. I haven't been on this site for a while as life events took their course - my father passed away suddenly and I had to travel home to Africa for the funeral. In my early days of recovery I felt that if something like this happened I would certainly deserve a drink or a drug such as n plus. As it is I continue to be sober and clean. I am 2 years and 3 months clean and sober, which is amazing given that I was so addicted to n plus. I guess you will have read my story and so know what happened to me. I am clean and sober today because I have accepted that I am an addict, I can't stop on my own so go to both NA and AA which have helped me tremendously. Recovery is possible and I feel very blessed that I am in it.

I was fortunate enough to spend time with my father just before he died and I must say I connected with him in a way I could not have imagined and I know this was because I was clean and sober. Prior to this I had not seen him just over 2 years and when I did then I was steeped in my addiction to n plus. I could not be bothered to communicate, isolated, felt tired weak etc. but seeing him when I was clean and sober was incredible and that is why I know today that n plus would only make things worse for me as I grieve his loss. Wish you all the best with your recovery and you can do it,
Hi, I have spent the last few days just reading thru this and coming to terms with the fact that I'm an addict. I'm not even sure anyone still reads this, but for me this is the first step in my recovery I guess. I kind of always knew the nurofen+ was a problem, but honestly didn't know I was addicted. I just always made sure I had some on me and would have 2-3 at the slightest ache or pain, and they made me feel better really quickly, and I love the energy hit I get. I have never taken the huge amounts I have read about - probably around 9 - 12 a day on a bad day, and some days just 3. But I would get panicky if I didn't have some somewhere. But I must have been living in a bubble, because I didn't even think this was an addiction problem, I remember holidays when I didnt take them, and always felt sick and achey (achy) and yuk by day 2 or 3, but put it down to change in weather, or lack of coffee or stress, and would head off to a chemist to get some nurofen+ and things would be better. This has been going on for about 8 years (maybe longer, I can't really remember).
Two weeks ago I thought that as I am trying to get fit and working out and dieting, I should get off the pain stuff (for some strange reason I always feel that when I'm taking a bit I get a 'pot belly' tummy). So instead of buying my usual nurofen+ while at the shops on Wednesday  I got plain panadol. As usual that night the small niggly pain started in my back and shoulders, so I took regular panadol and went to bed early with a wheat bag. The next morning I had a sore back again, and a slight headache so had a coffee and a few panadol and off to work. By lunchtime I was still feeling yuk, so went home early and took more panadol and rested. By Friday I honestly thought I had come down with the flu, and sent my boyfriend down to get me some Lemsip and a sinus spray, and spend time in bed. On Saturday I thought I was dying with the worst flu ever and ached and my legs couldn't get comfortable and I was sneezing all the time. I moved around a bit and cleaned for a while, but felt so bad I just ended up in bed. Sunday was a repeat of Saturday, but I was exhausted because sleep just wasn't possible even though I felt so bad. Monday I dragged myself to work, and finally stopped at the chemist on the way home, and got nurofen+ thinking the panadol just wasn't strong enough for this flu. And by the time I got home, I was feeling 60%. I cooked dinner, and took a dew more and went to bed finally able to sleep, and feeling like I'd finally beaten the flu. Tuesday I work up with a 'hangover' headache (even though I don't drink) and popped a few more nurofen + and off to work. Back to normal again thank goodness.
I wasn't happy about taking the nurofen + though because of the excercise and bloated tummy thing, so for the first time ever, I googled these little pills to see why I had this side effect. And to my horror I started reading about how common this addiction is. What a reality check!!! I have since spent every spare minute reading everything I can find, and having to admit to myself that I am an addict. I feel like I'm in shock and need to make changes. I have an addictive personality, with my biological mother being a heroin addict (thank god she adopted me to a loving family) I have always always avoided the party drugs. I've tried and loved speed, but knew my risks, so I stayed away. I don't drink and try to limit my smoking. My best friend is struggling with an ice addiction, and I have been pretty judgmental and harsh trying to help her, never realizing I too am an addict!!
So here I am trying to work my way through this emotionally, and knowing I have to get off these horrible little pills (even though I took 3 just to register here and type this out) . As I said im not sure if anyone is still out there on this formu, but this is my first step in admitting my problem and I feel better (slightly) getting it out and on here. Next step is quitting, and hopefully getting some support here? Anyone out there who can offer advice and support, please do - I will be extremely grateful.
Hey Mickey. Glad you've taken the first step in deciding to quit by asking for advice. Withdrawal from a codine addiction is one of the hardest things and that's speaking from experience.  I was a heroin addict for 5 years feeding a daily habit of $200-$300. Heroin is an opiate, same as codine. I tried going CT but that was near impossible. I'm not down playing the withdrawal symptoms of N+ but it no way compares with the withdrawal of heroin.  Yes symptoms are exactly the same - flu like symptoms, stomach cramps, restless legs, constantly going to the toilet, hot one minute cold the next, night sweats, insomnia, head congestion, restlessness, the list goes on. But with heroin withdrawal, times that by a factor of 5 compared to N+.  I got off heroin only because my family found syringes in the bin at home so I had to fess up.  As I said CT could not be done so I went to the doctor who placed me on the methadone program. Now I know many in this forum will say "STAY AWAY FROM THAT S***!  IT'S WORSE THAN THE HEROIN". But let me say that if your committed to quiting and you use it exactly what it suppose to be used for, it works.  I've been heroin free for 10 years and never looked back thanks to the methodone program. Now to N+. I'm an addictive person by nature. But aren't we all in one form or another?  I was addicted to N+ for 3 years, taking anywhere between 30-60 a day. Lucky for me, I had no Heath issues relating to taking so much of the pills but I got sick of chemist shopping, the embarrassment of refusal, the constant running around from chemist to chemist.  Back then, we could get N+ in 72 pills per packet until the government stop that and only allowed a max of 5 does per week in a packet.   Anyway I knew what CT was going to be like and I knew I couldn't  do it so seeked help from my local doctor.  She developed a plan for me to slowly taper off the N+ and also prescribed me Valium/diazepam also tapering these along with the N+. The Valium eases the withdrawal symptoms considerably but PLEASE do not substitute this drug for the other because Valium can also be very addictive.  It's only used for short term to ease your withdrawal symptoms.  Get yourself some Imodium (immodium) or Gastro-Stop for the cramps and diarrhea.  Also there's a herbal medicine called Crampeze which helps with the restless legs and tired legs. Mickey, I'll be honest, it won't be easy for the first couple of weeks so prepare yourself. Take some time off work and have a friend there if possible for moral support. It's much easier then doing it alone.  Also. Please read Pottsy918's post as he has it pretty much spot on about expected time frames and symptoms. Good luck Mickey and all the best. If you need so moral support, pm me any time.
Please please please!!!!! Make it happen. Life is too short and people out there love you. A silly pill should't be a death sentence. I was addicted to N+ also for 9 years. Be strong and overcome this. Take up a hobby and keep busy. It will only get easier. Trust me. If you can't do it for yourself do it for your kids. Take care my friend!!!!!!
Hi Mickey,

Many thanks for sharing your experience, as it reminded me how sneaky those buggers of a pill can be. So pleased that you have made the connection between your usage of n plus and it's addictive qualities. It took a life saving operation, brought about my destructive use of n plus to make me finally realise I was an addict, I was mentally and physically addicted to n plus. I consider myself very blessed and fortunate to be nearly 2 and a half free of n plus or any other drug or alcohol for that matter. Like you I started with the odd n plus here and there for period pain. But in time, like have noted, I begun to rely on them, and this was because of the warm buzzy feeling I got from them. In time this buzzy warm feeling became elusive, and wherein the past 4 tablets would have delivered that feeling, I found myself having to increase the number of pills to get that high such that I was on 32 per day, and this caused me to have a perforated bowel, bleeding ulcers and peritonitis. I was a walking wreck and even in this state of degeneration did not make the connection between n plus and addiction... Why? Because I am addict. Today I go to NA and love it, love being free from those demons which I tried to give up on my own many times and failed. Today I know that one n plus will never be enough, as one will kick off the craving in me and before I know it I will be back in that place of living hell. You have identified your problem, well done, now please do something about it as you will never defeat n plus; it will destroy you. Help is out there, you just need to be open, honest and willing about your addiction and desire to stop using n plus. Wishing you all the best.
Two and a half years free of n plus it should read and I did this minus any aid of other drugs. Recovery is possible.
Hi Nphelp
your story sounds a bit like mine, but I'd already had my kids by the time I was at the stage where I aneamic, half starved (approx 40kg's) low potassium, low blood pressure, low everything and no periods.  Because of the Nurofen + i have had 3 small bowel re-sections, developed epilepsy and a broken leg. I know it sounds wierd that Ive blamed N+ for seizures and my leg but the seizures were caused by my body reacting to tramadol which I was taking to try and get high cos I had no N+ and didnt want to go through another bowel resection. I was given tramadol  but it started doing nasty things to my brain, causing violent seizures...horrible.  When I stopped taking the N+ after about 24 months my periods returned. My broken leg was caused by havig brittle bones caused by low oestrogen caused by having no periods caused by N+. So it all leads back to N+....its evil  Give it up as soon as you can and be a happy family
Can someone tell me if they think i have an addiction to N+.
I have to take some everyday...although i can manage just two but just for the hell of it, i will take up to 12.
I don't have any bad symptons or anything...however i have lost interest in sex completely but that could be due to my anti anxiety pills.
I have taken N+ for many many years...like more than 10...
Is what i am doing a problem........i notice you all are talking numbers in the range of 60 per day...
Or perhaps i am reaching for excuses to give myself a reason to keep doing it?

Tam

Tam
MARA2412..You are in a really old post..Go up to the top and hit the Orange Button that says POST A QUESTION..Then you will get some replys..OK! You will be starting your own POST..

-------------OLD POST-------------------------------------OLD POST------------------------------
hi..
Ive never actually been hooked on N+ but I just spent a week inside a hospital detox facility, trying to get off heroin, and they stuffed me up with the N+ pills instead.I'm no stranger to heroin withdrawal, it ends in four days, six maximum...however, its been ten days, and the damn chills aren't going away,i'm still weak as a sick dog. How long do the chills last? I wake up with them and they last....I'm living somewhere where its still summer and people are turning on their ac's and i don't even have a fan on and am shivering under the sheets. HELP.
Hi all im about to quit (tapering) N+ from today - was on 30 a day - x2 lots of 15 throughout the day.
Just to feel bloody normal....!!

I have tried to come off several times but to no avail - it just cannot carry on - i can't continue to take the time off work to get to various chemists - the money side of it is 'killing' me.

I am on Christmas break (New Zealand)  from work so figured its the best time to start tapering as i work a 9.5 hour day on my feet for 90% of that 9.5 hours.

I'm in desperate need of help.
My husband once had an addiction to tramadol about 18months ago. He had to stop taking them due to having two seizures one of witch we could have been in our car with him driving the other he had in work.
He stopped taking tramadol and went cold turkey, he didn't suffer any symptoms of cold turkey,  but I just thought he was doing really well.
I've recently found toilet roll rolled up in a bunch with 16 tablets of n+ inside. There where 5 of these toilet roll bundles all with 16 tablets of n+ inside.
I didn't know how to handle this again. I confronted him about this and he told me he had to go back on them because of the way we have been arguing. I feel so hurt I've tried to be there for so long I just don't know where to turn. He's now saying he has stopped taking n+ but yet again  is showing no symptoms of withdrawal.
please can someone help and give me some advice as I don't know where to turn next.

Hi there and welcome! This is an older thread that you are posting on. You will get much more support if you create your own post. Just go to the top of the page and hit the 'post a question' link. There is also a forum called 'living with an addict' that would be a great place to get support from others going through similar things. Please don't let your husband's behavior make you feel like any less of a wife. Unfortunately he is doing what addicts do best. Lying, making excuses, and manipulating. You are going to have to give him a big dose of tough love. Don't enable his use in any way. That may mean making some serious ultimatums and standing behind them. I know it's a very hard thing to do, but it may be necessary. He is going to do what he wants regardless of how it affects you or anyone else. It doesn't have anything to do with how much he loves you, or how good of a wife you are. Addicts can be very selfish and get so wrapped up in their addiction that they can't see anything else. Please get yourself educated about the disease and get some support. Don't let him drag you and your family down with him. Take care of yourself and please try to keep your head up.
This New Year marks the anniversary of me taking N+ for 10 years straight. not something I'm proud of I started taking 2 a day, the thing is I didn’t take it for anything in particular I took it knowing that the last time I had a head ache they made me feel good so it was purely a feel good factor and then it escalated and now I’m taking 32 a day and have been taking that amount for the last 2 years it's been increasing, the new year marks a change and I think I've done pretty well so far I've taken my dose down to 6 a day and with in a few weeks will bring that down to 4 and so on I started well before Xmas and it's a long road but I've been here before when I gave up smoking so I know I can do this, the trouble is N+ is like smoking to me I love taking them I enjoy the kick they give me it's sad and pathetic that I see it that way and very shameful but that's why I never wanted to give it up I'm giving up now as I feel generally unwell all that N+ is toxic for the Liver and Kidneys and if I don’t stop soon then Ill be pushing up daisies plus I’ve just recently got married and I don’t want my wife to be a widow, she does not know about my addiction…nobody does but you get to a point where you grow so tired of travelling the 4 corners of the globe telling lies to pharmacist’s just to get me a fix, nothing worse than when you go into a chemist and you hear whispers from the staff “oh look there’s than man again”

So new year and plenty of changes,  when I first dropped my dosage I felt it, really did feel like crap so while easing off N+ I've been taking a Vitamin called Wellman which really does help me no end it takes the edge off the N+ withdrawal but with a bit of wheel power I can beat this once and for all, what would make me happy is not having to be a customer in a chemist for the wrong reasons… no more lies…and a bit more money in my pocket, each box of 32 in the UK is £7 that is £49 a week, when I think how many pills I’ve sank in the 10 years I’m surprised I’m still here to tell the story I mean even if I was taking only 32 a week I would of put away 16640 tablets over 10 years, yet mine is over that figure and to think I’ve spent well over £4000 it’s ridiculous and has to stop, I take each day as it comes, I find the secrete is not to sit around being idle…do things and keep the mind occupied, I’ve recently gone back to the Gym as this help’s a lot I don’t feel like it at all but I have to burn this out of me and get the body back to normal again and hey I feel so much better in health thank god
Hi everyone, I last posted in 2012, September. I kept on taking these things but last September I stopped and now only take them occasionally, perhaps 5 or 6 once a fortnight. It's good, I don't crave them or think my evenings are torment without them. I just live a regular lifestyle and deal with real feelings as I get them. That's life and it's good. It's good to be truly yourself and not to be poisoning yourself, wasting money, lying to people, driving miles to find new chemists, living an illusion. I just hope I haven't done too much damage.

It took me a few days of getting it down in halves over a week and now I've been clear long enough to know I'm never going back. Good luck, everyone, there is easily enough good stuff about a sober life to make it worth trying!

Cali.
Hi I've been taking N+ for 3 years and know exactly what you mean when you say, you enjoy taking them - me too, I like the high and the extra confidence they give me. Now I've started to see that I'm an addict and must stop, which I've began today by only taking 6 N+ instead of 36.
Good luck to you
Counting down to 5 May 2014 when, god willing, I will be 3 years clean and sober; clean of that insidious pill - N+ - which nearly killed me Easter Bank Holiday Monday in 2011, resulting in a 10-day stint in hospital.

By the time N+ was ready to finish me off, kill me, I was on 32 per day, having started on 2 here and there 2 years beforehand.

My view, and it is my personal one, clean for me means ZERO N+ pills, not 1 or 2 here and there or every fortnight. If I have this attitude I leave the door open for that insidious pill to ensnare me when I least expect it.

Clean for me means complete abstinence from N+, and I say this because with hindsight and recovery helped by NA, I can see how those white evils got me.

I thought I had them “licked”; but what I didn’t realise is that I had unwittingly crossed that line where I wanted to stop, couldn't stop taking the white evils, but had to take them in order to feel normal, keep off the shakes, sweats, function, live, go to work etc. I was the walking dead, and I never ever want to feel like that again.

And thank god recovery is possible! And recovery for me means:

1) Accepting on a daily basis that I am addict, my life becomes unmanageable when I use N+ of which I am completely powerless. I apply the same thinking to alcohol.
2) Going to NA meetings, sharing and developing a spiritual connection with a higher power of my understanding.
3) Doing the NA steps.

Wish me luck that I get to 3 years, and in order to get there I will continue as I have being doing for nearly 3 years.

It is a good feeling to say today that by 5th May 2014, god willing, I hope to report that I will have had a 100% success rate – I will have not had had a single drug or drink – over the last 3 years!

Best of luck to all.
Woo hoo - 5th May 2014 and I am 3 years clean and sober today!!!! Thought I would share my good news with you - 3 years clean of those awful, insidious white pills otherwise known as N+!

And for me, staying clean has only been possible thanks believing in a higher power, who in my case happens to be God, going to Narcotics Anonymous, and ACCEPTING UNCONDITIONALLY THAT I AM AN ADDICT, and am powerless over drugs, as is N+!!

Wishing you all the best!
Thank u and GREAT willPower.
an you die from over use of nurofen?
My bf as been taking a packet a day ...goes searching for them. He told me he is addicted. Hes got bad stomach pains and doesnt eat much. Sleeps after work ..hardly talks to me .,in his own little world ...no sex for 6 months . I feel so lonely and depressed as his addiction is making me unhappy .
hi just read your post , feel very happy for you please can you tell me a plan for me I am so sad that I am addicted to nurofen plus and feel so hopeless as to stop frightens me so much .
great post  makes me feel more empowered and ready to start on the journey of becoming clean and nurofen plus free ,  why oh why when did i ever think that a small white tablet would rule me ,destroy me, depress me and so cunningly convince me to buy it because for a few tiny seconds it elated me , must be a little crazy i suppose to succumb to it in the first place , actually i find it quite frightening now that i did not heed the warnings . i need to be a warrior not a coward the more i write the more i realise, thank you for sparking off a response in me finally. good luck on your journey , you truly are a warrior bless you.
Viewing 1001-1145 comments: