Nyquil addictive?
Hi all.  I have a question.  I'm coming down with the flu and am paranoid about taking nyquil.  is it possible to become addicted to nyquil?

Can you give us more info. Did you have a previuos addiction or are just curious? Most Nyquil does have alcohol in it.
I've been sober for 16 years and stay clear of the stuff.  You can usually use benedryl and childrens robitussin type products.  It is a much safer bet.  I don't fool around with meds.  Also I always tell someone what I am taking. I once had to take Valium for a week for TMJ under a doctors supervision (we tried all other means first).  Just be careful with meds.
I don't know about this one, but I've never heard of it being addictive.  It's a concern about the alcohol if you're an alcoholic I think though.  Not sure.  I thought I heard a couple of years ago that they either reduced or got rid of the alcohol altogether.  I hope I'm not mistaking it for something else.  The biggest concern I'd have is if you're taking another med. that would have increased effects if the alcohol is still in it.  If you have a cough, Delsym works really well, and that's often the reason folks are up at night.  Ibuprofen tends to work better for muscular aches than does Tylenol too.  Hope this in some way helps.

Jacqui
Iv read that DXM can be addictive which is in most cough syrups, but you'd have to take alot of it frequently in order to get addicted. Furthermore, from my understanding an addiction to DXM is pretty obviouse to observers because the resulting behavior is pretty bizzare.

Speaking of which, the show Intervention had a young boy addicted to DXM on it a couple of weeks ago..... that is a bad place to be, so Id stop taking it and go see a doctor if your cough picks up again and your concerned about how much your taking.

*with respect*    Jenn
I've been sick with a flu thing for over a week. I have taken nyquil 2 or 3 times over the week because I have felt so bad especially at night. It has 10% alcohol in it but alcohol was never my addiction. I don't think it would be a problem to use for a short period of time. I'm very careful now days about what I take but the flu is horrible and you need your rest.
I did see that Intervention on DXM that kid was messed up. I learn something new on that show every week.
I love your avatar btw! (cute!) quote,'I did see that Intervention on DXM that kid was messed up. I learn something new on that show every week."

ME too, and its painful to watch because I was not what I would consider to be an 'alchoholic' but I flirted with it as a binge drinker. But watching the one this week where the Mom just let herself fall into the binge behavior and get completely lost was so painful for me. As they say,,, "There but for the grace of God go I"... its good to learn without direct experince and I pray I never fall back into that no matter how tough things get.

*Bows with deep respect and apprication*    Jennifer
I wouldn't worry about it if you use it as prescribed. The question is if the sleepiness it can cause will be to reminiscent of your DOC and how it made you feel. If this concerns you, just take dayquil. :)
I just realized you're posting here! Way to go. It's good 'seeing' you.
thanks for all of your help.  To answer your questions, Yes I am an addict in recovery.  My fiance is in medical school and we have a baby.  When i decided to withdraw cold turkey i wanted to hide it from him as it was embarassing.  I went 6 days before i broke down.  I was coming off of methadone. ALthough i was on it for only a month, the repruccusions were AWFUL.  When he came home and i told him, he was in SHOCK and SOOOO upset with me. He didn't understand "how i could be SO stupid" as he put it.  After an hour or so he calmed down and came back around.  Now it's been almost a year since this happened and he won't even let me take nyquil becuase of our incident.  which is why in all honesty i am asking.  i feel like he'll always be this overprotective now.
being in medical school, he should know that you would have to chug a bottle or two a day for a fairly long time to get addicted.  he needs to back off and take care of you. you can't take care of a baby if you can't sleep.
He does know that.  But he's afraid that "that is exactly what it will lead to."....he thinks it will start with once here and there, and than whenever convenient and so on....anyway, he bought me some last night, he just wasn't happy about it.  I wanted to make sure that it didn't have potential risks to get me addicted.