Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Nyquil to get to sleep

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Nyquil to get to sleep

Hey everybody.  I have serious sleeping problems.  It usually takes me 2 hours or more to get to sleep at night.  Occasionally (and it has become more frequent, because it works so well)  I take one dose of Nyquil at night and it puts me to sleep within a half hour.  Is this a problem?  Am I at risk of becoming dependent on it?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
You're at risk of becoming addicted to anything you take on a regular basis.  I'd recommend talking to a doctor - there are a lot of medications you can take that will help with sleep that are healthier - several antidepressants - the meds in Nyquil aren't bad for you, but you'll find that you will need them for sleep whether you want them or not.  Try Melatonin - it's a bit more natural but it does help.
I would think that a dose of nyquil making you sleep is a whole lot better than anything else... Is is just a dose or more?'''''  I think its great that nyquil will help you
But I am not an expert
Thts why I am here...trying to get advive to
I used to take excedrin pm. I started out taking 1 and eventually, after about 8 months I was taking 6 to fall asleep. THEN, it started keeping me from sleeping. ya, go figure. I have a terrible sleeping problem, similiar to yours. I'm constantly getting up, eating, watching TV, because I simply can't sleep. I lie awake for hours.

I have found that the only way to get real sleep is to get up early. DO NOT let yourself sleep in and if you can excersise. Swimming is a great way to get some sleep. anyway, good luck. if nyquil helps you, thats great, but you may develope a psychological dependence on it as well. for instance, you may lay down to go to sleep without it and feel that you can't sleep just because you don't have it. kind of a catch 22 with that stuff.
Thanks for your comments/advice.  Yes, I only take one dose of it and it knocks me out within a half hour.  I usually take it about 8 hours before I want to get up, and I wake up feeling really refreshed.  It's a great feeling to not have to sleepwalk through the day because I struggled sleeping the night before.

I am going to talk to my doctor and see what he thinks.  For now I'm not going to take it too often, only when I am REALLY struggling.  I don't want it to become an every night thing.
Also, my sleeping problems don't stem from lack of exercise or being on an irregular schedule.  I work a regular 8 to 5 job and I exercise at least 4 times a week.  It's just a problem that I've had for my whole life.
Hi! Nyquil contains quite a bit of alcohol. If you are shooting for staying clean and sober, that is not the way to go. Have you tried melatonin. It is a herbal supplement found at most drugstores. It is worth a try.

Hope it helps. Take care.
hmm...tough.

best of luck to you. i'm up @3:52am here fighting some terrible knee pain. no meds=pain. but eventually good