Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
OMG SERIOUSLY

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

OMG SERIOUSLY

IV BEEN ON HERE ABOUT BF SNORTING OC'S.  

CAN U FREAKIN SNORT ATIVAN? I GUESS ITS LIKE VALIUM OR XANAX???  ANSWER ME PLEASESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Yes you can. Why?
Yep, you can... in all fairness, Ativan will be help him with the w/d, but he shouldn't be abusing it. If you think he is, ask him politely to hold his pills and dispense them to him. Ativan is a benzo, like Xanax and Valium, and it has it's own set of w/d symptoms, but in low doses it's safe (my opinion) for him to take during w/d. For Ativan, by low dose I mean up to about 1 mg daily.
PLZ first of try to relax a bit :) yes you can is this what you think he is doing
because i think he may be doing that now.....sigh.............

do u get high from snorting ativan? if it is like xanax then wouldnt it be like a sowner? the complete opposite of oxy?

im just so upset.  

what if he is addicted to snorting. period.  

i dont understand this desire to snort sh*t.  i am sorry.  

thank you all for ur kindess and help.  im so stuck. i love him. so much.  and i love this website because it is annoymous and i can vent and get information......u are so sweet and helpful.  all of u are.

now, what the f is the point in snorting ativan?  why do that?
Snorting period spikes the buzz, meaning it works 10x faster.  And yes, he can be addicted to snorting.  Snorting is harder to stop than taking pills.

And yes he would get a downer effect from ativan.

Back in my day, I used about 20 lortabs daily.  I would only take about 5 pills through out the day, then come early afternoon the snorting would begin.  I much prefered to snort than to takel.
did u ever snort oc?

how long does that high last?

why is it harder to quit pills if u snort them vs orally?

why did u snort xannbars? (i think u said u did)....if u dont get high from it, why not just tak it by mouth
I tried to explain this to you, but you don't understand it sweetie because you have never felt the high it gives you. By snorting the meds, they go straight to the brain and you feel it instantly. Just like shooting up. I could never understand how people could snort something either, but when I first tried coke I instantly understood. So he is doing not to disgust you but to reach that high quicker and more intensly.
and he isn't addicted to snorting. He is addicted to the pills. He is just getting the high faster doing it that way.
I'll answer your questions.

No, I've never snorted OXY.  I've never even taken one.  Maybe because no one ever introduced me to one?  Good thing!  Hydrocodone was my drug of choice.

Like cigarettes.  Do you smoke menthol or regular?

It's hard for me to tell you how long the high lasts.  I would have cravings for more in only about 20 minutes.  Not that the old buzz was gone, just wanted to keep it up.

Kinda like drinking beer.

When I crushed up a pill, I never snorted the whole thing.  Maybe 1/3, then save the rest for later.  That was enough at a time for me.  But I believe some people snort the whole thing.  So I guess I'm saying that a pill would last me about an hour w/3 bumps.

If you quit snorting and just take the pills, you don't get the same high.  Never as high and never as quick and you have to do more pills to try to get there, but you don't.  So why would an addict settle for that?  We take drugs (which ever way) to always try to achieve that same good high.  

No, it wasn't me that said I snorted xanbars.  I may have said that people do it.  I've seen it.  But not my high.  It's a downer, and I liked uppers.  But to answer your question, you snort xanbars if you like the way it hits the brain for fast and so hard.  Just taking them would never make you feel like that if you've snorted them for awhile.

But I'm not sure.  Any one out here disagree?  Please write this lady.  She's trying real hard to understand why her man is doing this.

ok im sorry if i annoy u or any of you.  im just so trying to understand......stupid me all this time--im thinking  "oh, poor baby......his stomach hurts.....i dont wanna see him in pain"........but if he is snorting them then that doesnt have sh*t to do with pain. that is wanting to get high. quicker and faster and more powerful. stupid me no more.  now that i have friends on here that can help me and answer me things...........before, i could only go by his words.

he does say he wants help.

but yesterday, ok, i left work early to take him to a methadone clinic....(i know its bad but at least it was  a start).  we freaking go in the clinic and he says "no, im leaving".  well im sitting there with our 3.5 month old son....dumb founded......so i pack up the stuff......go outside to the car and start crying.  im like "seriously ____"  WTF!

he said "i dont want my son in there like this"

so, we left.

and i cried home,.

i know he wants help. i guess. i dont know.

and please understand i am supportive of this even tho i dont get it.  I PAID for the suboxone outpatient treatment before.  I worked 3 jobs....pregnant.....and paid for that.  $400 a week.  I encouraged him daily of how proud i was he was clean.  i begged him not to answer the phone when those ppl with the pills would call.  or else i wouldnt tell him that the person called.   i paid for this twice.  it worked but i couldnt afford it.  

i, also, am doing the best i can.  i so badly want him to never want that again.  i want him to just be addicted to his son.  and me.  and our family.  but that just cant happpen so then i have to decide what is best for me.  

iv never loved someone so much. there is nothing i wouldnt do for him.

i have tried and been supportive and even paid.
thank u :)  thank u for ur understanding and patience and kindness.

what is lortab
Sweetie, I swear you are NOT annoying me. You aren't. I just want to stress to you the importance of sounding like you are supportive or looking down on addicts. I believe that you are supporting him. I believe you want to help him and see him get clean, and the only way that will happen is if he knows he can turn to you, if no one else. And see that you are there, no matter what. Don't make him feel like he is some piece of garbage because he is snorting and abusing. Not that I am saying you are..just don't say things to him like you can't believe he is snorting.

Trust me, he isn't doing it for any reason, other then the fact that he is stone cold addicted. He is searching for that high and trying to keep from w./d.

Now, I actually agree with him and I am glad that you left. One, because he is right, that place is NO place for your son. Which I also didn't know you had with him. And two, becuase if you let him start the methadone you are introducing your family to an entirely new addiction. One that is 10xs harder to break then the one he has now. Trust me. Be happy you left. Thank god that you left.

He should get back on the Sub treatment. 400.00 is alot. Do you have insurance? If you do, get the script in your name. It will be cheaper. For me, I have state insurance and when I started the sub I paid 75.00 a week for the dr. and 3 for the script. SO I paid 78 a week. I only stayed on it for 3 weeks though.

Anyway, if people would give the sub a change they would see it will work wonders and you will start to feel better instantly and have a better outlook on quitting. Now, its just as hard to w.d from if not harder if he stays on it long, but maybe in his case a long term treatment might be what he needs. It will keep him from using.

Well, I am here if you need advice. And again, I wasn't saying you annoy me, you don't. I like you and you show how much you care for him. I just want you to understand that even though he is using to get high and not for pain, he is an addict, and in no way "trying" to hurt you. He is not in his right mind and needs support to get the help he needs. If you want him back, support him. In everything. Let him know you are there to help no matter how high the hurdle. The benefit will be him getting clean...good luck...

Lisa
He has to want it for himself.  You and yur preciou baby can motivate him, but he has to want to stop.  I snorted oxy's , coke, percs, ativan, valium. never the methadone, I guess I didn't dare go there.  But the point is, I was always chasing the high.  and could never get high enough.  Everone has there ownr reasons,  he will hve to realize his.  Hope all is well.  

keep in touch
luv and hugs

sandy
thank you.

that is a good idea about getting the suboxone in my name because yes  i have great insurance...........i htought wed have to get married.

how would i do that because i am not an addict???  like is suboxone used for something else?  how would i get it from my doctor with a rx?????  great idea! i love it!

thanks for ur help. i ws just so hoping he was ready yesterday. im hearing bad stories about meth tho.......

it is SO hard to seperate him from the addiction...u know?  like i know he loves me and all but it is hard. i want my old bf back so badly.
yes i smoke and crave menthol cigs.  for sure.  so i can imagine. but id never not pay our rent to buy a pack of cigs. i may count change outta the coushions to get a pack til payday...or something like that....but id never risk loosing everything for a cig.  

hydrocodone?  that is like vicodin i think??  i thought vicodin and percocet werent to be snorted because of the tylenol ?  at least that is what my bf tells me/  shoot he prolly snorts them too and just told me that so i wouldnt be all worried when he had those.
but how can u snort that stuff with all the tylenol in it.  he says u cant????  unless he lies to me about that.  

and the ativan. he has that now.  why would he want to snort that?  u dont get high from it, right? it is a downer.  or u mean u get the downing effect all at one time??  
They do snort pills with tylenol but it makes no sense. Snorting is a junkie type thing and is part of the ritual that has to end if he wants to get clean. There was a guy here who went to the sub doc and started snorting sub. That makes no sense and  if someone snorts sub they have no chance as that guy didn't. You shouldn't go to a sub doc and lie and get his sub. Maybe a rehap-detox would be a better idea. all best
Well, the only way to do it is to tell a dr you are addicted. What state are you in? I am in PA. And I went to 2 different kinds of dr.s The first was a clinic type place but no where near as bad as a meth clinic. He was 350 a week as well. And that got you off the durgs and then he put you on the sub after. The 2nd dr. was a regular family dr. that prescribed Sub. He was 75 a week plus cost of meds. When I didn't have insurance it cost me about 8$ a pill. And he gave me 14 pills a week to take 2 a day. But once my insurance kicked in, the pills were 3.00 total. But neither ever took blood nor did I need to proove I was an addict. I just told them how much I was taking, what I was taking, and for how long. And it was that quick. So if you can go to Suboxone.com and type in your zip code, a list of dr.s that prescribe Sub in your area will pop up. You will be surprised how many there are, call each one till you find a good one that is cheaper. Even if you have to drive a great distance, do it. Put it in your name and get the script. The dr.can't charge you 400 a week if you're not getting the pills from him. The only thing is you have to get your insurance to cover the sub, which they will after your dr. calls them, and they will call for you. Its a process, but it will work. It did for me. Good luck. And if you need help, private message me.
vicodin, lortab, hydrocodone, norco - to me is all the same thing.  Hydrocodone w/tylenol.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

These pills are made w/different strengths of tylenol.  I believe the strongest pill is 10/500APAP?

Oxys are stronger than this and time released.  I don't even know what an oxy looks like.  But I could surely identify the rest.

Percocet - I'm not sure if this has tylenol.  I've only had one script in my life, and anything ending in "cet" seems to make me sleepy.

You cannot snort darvocet...I know that much b/c I've tried.  It will set your nostrils on fire and you'll be sorry.  As for the rest mentioned above, you absolutely can.

I don't understand why you think that someone can't get high by snorting atavan.  Just because it doesn't give you energy, doesn't mean that it's not a high.  It's just a different kind of high.  Some people like a variety.

It's my personal opinion that he just likes the effects of snorting because of his addictive behavior.  

And you're right.  As for those stomach pains..........I mean, what the heck is his diagnosis?  What the heck could be so bad that oxy is prescribed for that?  He doesn't know real stomach pain because he'll never have a baby.

Clue me in on the stomach problem.
haha about the stomach pains....and having a baby!!!! i hear ya.  i just went thru it and man o man.  that was rough.

his stomach---there is no diagnosis.....because he has no insurance.  see, ever since he was a baby he has bad problems... really sharp pains and cramping to the point where he sweats really bad.....and cant get outta bed.  he went to the hospital and they "referred" him to a gi doc.  but, again, no insurance.  now, what i think too is that over the years of him abusing pain pills, im afraid now he has done damage to himself.  like all that tylenol in percocet and vicodin.  back  in the way he would eat about 40 vicodin a day, plus snort oxy's.....basically whatever he could get his hands on.

he doesnt have a prescription for oc's. he gets them off the streets.

so no official diagnosis.  

see also---id love to get the rx in my name......but i have a baby----would they try and call child services or something?  i dont want that!  i dont do anything but smoke. i have horrible luck.  i could see them calling cs on me or something and saying im a drug addict.

u are so helpful! thanks!
I don't want to incourage you to commit any kind of fraud, So please disregard that post. It wasn't right of me to say that would be ok. As it isn't. I just figured it would help him if you guys were desperate. Anyway, don't go that route. How is he getting his meds? If he has drs. prescribing it then why can't they wean him off or put him on Sub? How is he paying for the meds w.o insurance, that is pretty expensive. I should know...I had no script. I paid 40 a pill....
I LIVE IN OH
My bro lives in Ohio. Where in Ohio do you live.
Is it at all possible to find a doctor on the sub list that she could go to with him and tell the truth to?  I have heard of doctors writting a script in someone elses name just so they could get it with insurance.  There just might be a docotr that seeing a young couple with a few month old child and the father wanting to get off drugs that would help them and write thr script in her name so they could afford it.  I would try honesty it might work.
canton oh

and i know u didnt mean it in a fraud way.....u were just throwing ideas out there :)
Sweetie , I wouldnt tell anyone you are an addict to get his meds, You are putting a tag on yourself that will never come off and you shouldnt do that to yourself when you dont have a problem, Its like letting him get off free and then if you do need meds you cant get them thats just not a good idea at all. If he has money to buy pain pills off the street then he should save enough to get to the doctor, Call around and some places have a sliding scale based on what you make and bring home money wise. Some basic family docs can give sub also, Sometimes it helps also if you call around and tell them what is wrong and that you are trying to help. Sometimes people do help out and can tell you where to go. Just please leave your name out of his addiction you have the baby and dont want to be looked at as an addict, this is his job and untill he wants help nobody can help him ,
is that insurance fraud tho?
yeah see i was worried about all that too.
My bro used to live in Canton. He lives in Cuyahoga Falls now. I was born in Ohio. But i live in  PA now.

ANyway, I don't want to see you get into trouble. I shouldn't have suggested that, I have also heard of Dr.s helping you out. I am sure my dr. would, but he is in PA. Its tough. I am sure if you call every dr. on that list, someone will help you. Tell them your situation and that you need help. But you are going to have to pay something. Like I said, my dr.was 75 a week, plus meds. And the pharmacy would let me buy 1 or 2 pills at a time till my insurance kicked in
CAN TRAMADOL BE SNORTED?

CAN U REMOVE THE COATING OF THE ULTRAM ER (TIME RELEASED) AND SNORT THAT TOO?

WOULD U GET HIGH THO?  THERE ARE NO OPIATES I THOUGHT?
Fraud I guess maybe I don't know.  It is going around the system to get a medicine covered.  Personally if I told a doctor the truth and they were willing to write the script out I would get it filled and not feel bad about it.  It is the better of evils I guess.  Better to me than saying I was addicted when I wasn't.  Better than buying drugs illegally off the street from dealers which is what he's doing now.  Better of dying from these drugs and leaving a child without a father.  So, perfectly right maybe not but in my book better than most of the alternatives.
Well, I can't really say either way..but I know that pretty much anything can be snorted. Anything that can be crushed up. He may just be trying to acheive a high. He may think if he snorts something that wouldn't produce a high if he took it orally, that he may get something out of it. But he really won't, as least I don't think. Now, as far as Opiates in ultram and tramdol, first both are pretty much one in the same. And he WILL get very addicted. They are harder to get off them Oxy's. Tell him not to do that. I don't know what's in it, but they will mask the w.d from the Oxy. And he will feel normal, just like he will on the sub. But the sub is used to get off oxys and can be weaned off. So can the ultram, but its not used to detox. Its a pain med and HIGHLY addictive. I know someone who tried to kick oc's with ultram, and she thought she wanted to die when she stopped the ultram. Be careful..
Ultram is not classified as a narcotic but it is evil and im living that hell. My doctor told me this morning my taper to get off them will take four months. Its awful. My word love is he snorting everything he gets his hands on ? the truth is most anything can be snorted its just a matter of why someone would want to do that to themself? hang in there sweetie it will be ok and help will come
Subs and methadone are NOT answers to fixing addiction to opiates. PERIOD. there are hospitals that you can detox at, there are so many treatment centers... my bestfriend just died from methadone he was taking to get on herion.... i have several friends trying to get off subs after getting off oxy.... It's just no no good...
BUT SEE THIS IS WHERE IM CONFUSED. IF ULTRAM AND TRAM HAVE NO OPIATE IN THEM OR WHATEVER THE THING IS THEN HOW DO U GET HIGH FROM IT...BE IT ORALLY OR SNORTING.
Once again, there are many, many success stories on this site from people having used sub. I have been here a very long time and seen many come here and tell stories of success. I am a success story. I have completed a short term sub treatment and am going on 8months clean, no relapses.

In fact, one of our MAIN site moderators have successfully detoxed with SUB and did a short term sub treatment and has been clean since. So please do not miseducate anyone on this site.You have your right to your opinion, but don't tell someone they should or should not detox a certain way. This girl does not have the means to send her boyfriend to an inpatient treatment. And all else has failed for her.

Thank you
I agree with you on the methadone though.
Ultram binds to the same receptors that opiates do....it is as close to being an opiate without actually being classified as one.  I agree that messing around with that is just going to add to your BF's issues.

Scratch the insurance idea (getting it for YOU), b/c YES it is fraud and you could be in a world of trouble.  I know people are just brainstorming to get you help....but there are just too many reasons why you don't want to do that.

How long have you 2 been together?  Don't certain insurance co's allow an add on of a live-in partner on the basis of common law?  Doubtful...but may be worth looking in to.

Like everyone said...call as MANY Sub docs as you can and explain the situation truthfully....you may be surprised.  Some clinics are very helpful.

Your BF is just spiraling out of control...taking everything he can get his hands on.  I would truly worry about him mixing the wrong things.  Please keep a close eye on him.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you all can get him the help he needs.  The people here are such an awesome resource.
I have to ask this, because you told me that while you were pregnant you worked 4 jobs to pay $400 a month for his sub.

Okay, that is a lot of money that YOU put out for him.

But who has been putting out the money for HIS oxy?  

Isn't OXY ridiculously expensive?  With all he did, didn't his habit add up to that?  

So why couldt HE afford to pay for oxy and not sub?  Why would he have his girlfriend bust a$$ while she's pregnant working so many jobs?

Now I ask you this?  Who was buying the sub?  Did you give him the $400, and do you know that sub was purchased with this?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to upset you.  But as a drug addict, I know a lot of tricks.

I really feel like we need explaination of this.
I just wanted to let you know that Rolyat is my daughter    21 yrs old    oxy addict just out of treatment   I am so very sorry her post  insulted your sensibilities.   I was hoping this site could be a support for her in addition to the out patient treatment.  Obviously that was a huge mistake for me to guide her in this direction,  not too much help to be blasted on day one.  She feels that high of being off drugs albeit for a short period of time,  and was trying to reach out to someone with her life experiences, to share with them  and to keep herself focused.  I am so sorry you found her experience and comments so insulting.    Unfortunately a lot of the lingo you used, ie  Main Moderator she is not familiar with because this is/was her first day on MedHelp.  

Again I aplogize if she has offended anyone with her comments,  I guess I didn't explain the rules to her.

I have taken Ultram for about a week a couple weeks ago for pain due to my endometriosis, and I have also taken low dose narcotics about a year ago for a week after a surgery.  I can tell you that Ultram does not have the same chemical makeup that narcs do.  But then again, I was taking a prescribed does and not abusing.....Then of course my husband told me that taking a lot of Ultram can give you a high because it releases serotonin, which is a chemical that makes you happy in your brain.   So , the bottom line is if you take enough of anything, it can give you a high you are looking for.
tramadol is a partial synthetic opiate. It effect the same receptors as opiates . .The serotonin  effects you like an antidepressant would .There can be some bad depression when going off of the drug because of this  .It is very addicting .It can also produce some nasty withdraw
I am also prescribed Celexa a SSRI Serotonin receptor. I have never taken it because I was so afraid of the tramadol and the celexa together having a serotonin over HAUL.I was told by my doc that 2 trams were OK that is what my primary MD prescribed well need less to say-- I take way more than that. So you think has i taper of tram that I should start celexa and it might take over the serotonin in the tram????
I wouldn't until you are much lower like under the maximum daily dosage .Celexa on top of 20 trams a day would be a bad idea.
Font SizeA A A 1 2
Next »

tramadol Index Glossary

Pharmacy Author: Omudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Medical and Pharmacy Editor: Jay W. Marks, MD

GENERIC NAME: tramadol
BRAND NAME: Ultram
DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Tramadol is a man-made (synthetic) analgesic (pain reliever). Its exact mechanism of action is unknown but similar morphine. Like morphine, tramadol binds to receptors in the brain (opioid receptors) that are important for transmitting the sensation of pain from throughout the body to. Tramadol, like other narcotics used for the treatment of pain, may be abused

Ali,
you dont have to abuse it to become dependant , I have taken it for three years due to my female parts having tumors and such causing severe pain. I never abused them and yet I am dependant and was told today that it will take 4 months to get off them. People tend to think that because they arent called  a narcotic they are harmless or that you have to abuse them to become dependant and that is not at all true. Please be careful of them it doesnt always matter how long you are on them they are scary
VERY perfectly said, Mrs. Turner!  

I was actually SHOCKED to learn just how wicked Trams were to come off of...I have been a party in MANY a pt's being prescribed them as an alternative to narcotics....also misled into believing they carried no risks long term.  :0(

Sad thing is...SOOOOO many people found out the hard way...when they went off of them.  :0(

Just awful.
Thanks Nurse =)

it is very scary that people think that they are harmless. Its sad to see people who learned to late how awful they are

you can snort anything you want, i wouldn't suggest snorting anything anymore.. You'll turn your two nostrils into one which dosn't sound very good and as far as ativan you'll only absorb about 60% of the pill because like xanax its not water soluble. If  your coming off of OC's ,benzodiazepines wouldn't be the answer there a hole new addiction, that happens to be the drugs i was comming off of, about a 4 and haft year addiction @ very dangerous ammounts. they have some new drug alot like methadone (a synthetic opiate derivitive) that i hear works wonders so you might want to look into that, i know quite a bit about opiate addiction ( i've done oc's, shot heroin, and have eaten pretty much every pain pill known to man) and benzo's my favorite DOC. I'm in no way trying to be a know it all or an a** hole , just trying to help, good luck to you in your struggle and best wishes, opiates are 1 of the worst things to be addicted to considering there are so many and they get even stronger up the totum pole and usually lead to death, so think about it and try to quit if you can