Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Ok so Im trying to stop taking pain killers.. Im new here and I have AL...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Ok so Im trying to stop taking pain killers.. Im new here and I have ALOT of questions... PLEASE HELP!

Ok hey guys hows it going? Ive been taking pain killers for 4 years now. I started taking them after I hurt my back from a motorcycle accident.( I no longer ride one ha) I have developed that "good" feeling everyone talks about. I take 20mg of Oxycodone daily. I used to take about 40mg, I cut back.. Recently Ive been taking about 15mg daily. My biggest concern is sleeping, functioning, and my job. I am a personal trainer and I have felt withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms before.. They are no good and stop me from being able to function. Now being a trainer I am always using my muscles and being active soo... stopping these would crush me. Is there an easy way to cut back? I mean.. its hard. No one knows about my addiction.. Im afraid I would lose my job. Ok so heres my main questions..
1)How can I still workout and be active while dealing with withdrawl (withdrawal)?
2)Is there anything I can take.. to minimize WD, any routines, supplements?
3)How in the world can I sleep??
4)Im pretty sure Ill be highly depressed. How to deal?

Im sure I will have many many more questions, Like I said I have confronted my problem and I would like any help possible!
Thanks alot!
Well...I am in the same boat you are in.  I am a bartender so I constantly have to be active annd deal with the public.  This is going to be very hard for me because I know I am going to be really depressed.  I just posted a thread on all the stuff I bought at Walgreens to help me.  Go to the top right corner and type in Thomas Recipe.  It gives you a lot of info on herbal and supplements.  I am hoping all the stuff i bought helps.  Even if it helps a little.  I am currently taking about 150-200mg of oxycontin.
it sounds like you have the will power to taper down. are you palnning on going c/t? have you checked into suboxone? it has done wonders for alot of people here with the w/d part. also check into the Thomas recipe, stay hydrated and take B12, post me w/ any other questions. i'll help you the best i can

tink
Yeah im going to try the Thomas Recipe. It sounds good! I feel like a new year is not too long away for me! I am taking a weeks vacation off from work in 2 weeks and Im going to do the Thomas Recipe during that week and hopefully when I return to work I will feel decent enough to help clients.. You guys rock, thanks
Sports4Life, I certainly wouldn't make light of any one's station in life, but at the small amount you are taking, I wouldn't exactly call what you have as an addiction.  You are more dependant than addicted.  I would think stopping opiates would be fairly easy where you are now.  There are other non-addictive pain relievers out there, so I would check with your Doctor to see what is available.  I am sure that between the two of you, a happy medium can be reached.  Just an observation.
Well... I have tried to stop before and I couldnt sleep.. I got diarhea (diarrhea)(spelling), my entire body hurt really bad, I would get dizzy, and honestly I couldnt handle it at all. I felt like I was losing my mind, like I dunno its hard to explain. I know 20mg isnt alot, but I have been taking it for over 4 years and alot of peoples stories do make me feel better knowing I do not intake a high amount... but yea thanks
hi,
i been taken pain killers from the year 2000 all due to a knee injury i had back in college playing football for the college team, i had two knee op's on it and got pain killers for the pain, after about a year n half my knee was better and fit enough to play football again but because i been taken pain killers i felt great the buzz was out of this world, i try to stop taken pain killers before and it had worked for about 6 months then they was s death in the family which made me start take them again, soon after my mother had cancer then got the all claer a few years later but she was gettin strong pain killers for her pain which made me take some to try them out which gave me a mega buzz so i been taken them from 2004 till now and i had enough i want to STOP!!!! but i don't know how to, i had read a few comments on here and see pepole going cold turkey i don't know if i could do that, i really do need help, i been trying to tell my mum n dad about it but everytime im about to do it my bottle crashes,

can somebody tell me how to get help and which way i should go and do it. i will be checking this page everyday to see if there's any comments

thanks for listen

JC1981
Why do you all believe you will be depressed? By admission you are mentally setting yourself up for it. You will not be depressed at all, you will be enlightened by what it feels like to be normal.If you have been depressed in the past then get the medication you need from your physician to combat it. This, after the purging of the medication in your system is a psychological battle that can easily be won Prepare yourself and become knowledgeable. Read and read some more.
we do read, That how we know severe depression follows long term opiate use.  Maybe you should read up on PAWS.
what is tomas resipe were do u find it
Go to a doctor and get help...suboxone, anti depressents, ambien can all help with withdrawals..but going to AA is reallly the ticket to freedom.  You should be able to get off everything in a month or so and then have meetings to go to for the mental recovery it is the one thing no pill can do for you..