Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Okay, how weird is this?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Okay, how weird is this?

I just received a phone call from my primary Norco dealer. This is particularly impressive, as I've changed my phone number and moved some 150 miles away. He said he got my number from a friend, but didn't mention who. Even odder, the only people I GAVE the new number to aren't scene and don't know/have never met this guy.

BUT, it gets stranger.

I'd tried calling him about two weeks ago. His number's been disconnected. Since I'm addicted to scrip drugs, my dealers tend to move in cycles through the month, but this guy was my main; every week had another 180-300 for me. I didn't think twice about it. He's a dealer, his number changed often. He'd get a hold of me when it did.

So I answered, not recognizing it. He says, "Hey man, it's Steve!" Steeling myself to tell him not to call me again, I engage in some pleasantries, small talk, that sort of thing.

"Hey man, you dropped off the face of the Earth!" I commented. "You okay?"

"Yeah man, I'm good." he replies.

"Hey listen," I begin, "if you're calling me about the usual thing-"

"Yeah, I am," he interrupts. "Listen bro, I checked myself into rehab. I'm not selling anymore. I've been clean for 15 days." (He took oxys)

Stunned silence.

"You're kidding," I mange to get out, starting to laugh. "I've been clean since Sunday. I'm trying to quit myself. I just had NA yesterday."

Equally stunned silence in response.

"Well..." he segues. "Maybe we should get together and, uh, go to a meeting or something."

This has never been a friend of mine. Just a dealer. Never hung out with him. Never had lunch, caught a movie.

"Man, I don't think we're supposed to do that."

"No, I guess we're not. Hey, no offense, but I'm gonna delete your number after this call... this was a courtesy... didn't want you left hanging. Good luck!"

"Yeah, you too!"

How's that for a sign from above? I've got 3 main dealers:

2, when I told them I wanted to quit, said, "Good for you! It's time you did man. It's sad to see you following us down this road. If you call us from now on, we're going to deny having anything, whether we do or not. Good luck!" These were guys in their 50's & 60's, kinda looking out for the next generation. I deleted their numbers.

Now this: The most hardcore dealer I had checks himself into rehab BEFORE ME, then calls to let me know that he's out and I shouldn't call him anymore. Too frikkin weird, no?
Tags: weird, friends, drugs, norco, quitting, dealer, phone
Good for him for telling you that he is no longer in the loop.  Sounds like he is getting honest with everyone......I wish him all the best
Oh hey, me too!

He's a good guy, wife and daughter, nice home, the works. It's just bizarre to me that his timing lines up like this. I'm in the pits of WD right now, and the one guy I would call were I trying to wuss out calls ME and tells me he's out.

That's a sign you don't ignore, right?
Yep that is a sign!!    You both deserve to live pill free~~~~sara
That is way good my main dealer called me yesterday its hard to not answer her called cuz my god daughter live with her part time so I answered to see how my baby was and she was calling about the baby she asked if I could watch her and I told her the whole story and that I was detoxing and just couldn't do it and she goes I got some vics I hung up on her and won't ever answer her calls again I don't care if she does have my god daughter
Ouch, that IS rough.

Is she (your dealer) the kind of person who would respect your wishes if you asked her not to push to you? Under normal circumstances, I'd tell you to stay as far as possible away from her, but if she's family, that's gonna be tough.

Could you explain to her the need to not have that option in front of you? Would she accede? Would she support you?
All she cares about is money she doesn't care if I'm sober or not. This is her only source of money and I know its hard for her know cuz I was her main customer spending about a $1000 a month on her pills. I changed my number today and earased hers because on tough days I don't need people like that my other dealer is also family my lil brother and he is  very supportive he decided he is done selling he has never used them just sold them so I told him if he stopped selling them he could move in with me and I;ll help him til he gets a job so no more selling for him and if he does he will not sell to me he probably won't move in but he told me he won't ever tell me if he does have pills. Some people just don't care we choose to change our lifes for the better they just care about their money...which is sad and I know first hand cuz my boyfriend served time for dealing meth and my best friend is still servicing a sent for drug trafficking but when someone told them they were done with meth they were cleaning up it was ok thats awesome we will miss seeing you but were out in the future don't call us if there is anything you need or your family needs while your in treatment you got my number hit me up because they felt like they owned that to them and their family because it was partly them selling the drug that got them there. Never was well I got some to ease your withdrawls,