Opiate Intreatment Programs or Other Options
Hi Guys -
I've posted here before, But I'm not sure if any of you know my situation. I'm a 20 yr old female & I'm addicted to prescription pain killers of all types. I take them because they seem to cure my anxiety. I have severe social anxiety & it really has a negative impact on my life. I've finally come to the conclusion I need help. I'm thinking about going to an intreatment program (preferably somewhere other then my state (maine) ) and getting off these pain killers. Maybe they will help me work on my anxiety too. The first thing that has to be established is whether or not they accept health coverage. If they don't, then it is not an option. I don't work and never have. Second, I am very concerned with my record. My career of interest requires a medical background check & I know if this is placed on my record it will have a negative result on whether or not I get a lisence or job in the profession I want. Putting those things aside, could you guys with experiences tell me a little about intreatment, maybe recommend a good one that accepts Medicade, Medicare, MaineCare, whatever they call it(?) I can't do sober, so preferably one that helps you detox with alternative drugs. I kinda don't want to goto "group meetings" as they call them either. (due to my anxiety) I'd rather just deal with the doctors/program directors, but I can certainly deal with all aspects of the treatment program if that's what it takes. One more thing, If any of you happen to know what symptoms you'd have if you have done damage to your liver by taking prescription drugs, please let me know.
I am glad that you have accepted the fact that you need help, and I'll try to answer your questions...

I attended a VERY good inpatient treatment program [Valley Hope. they have inpatient treatment centers located in 4 midwestern states.] (They are recognized as one of the 10 best in the Country-- as defined by Relapse after a 1 year period of sobriety. 28% of their former patients are drug/alcohol free after 1 year. 28% is a GREAT rate- as a comparison, 9% of the Betty Ford clinic's patients are sober after 1 year. ) and they helped me win the battle with a horrible drinking problem.

As to what you are looking for in treatment: You are NOT going to find ANY halfway decent treatment center that doesn't incorporate some type of group therapy. General and Social Anxiety are one of the MAIN reasons for drug and alcohol abuse, so helping you with anxiety is a MAJOR part of any inpatient treatment. I had horrible panic attacks before treatment, but now with their help, and being sober, my anxiety, and panic are almost completely gone. I NEVER thought I'd be able to function in ANY social setting, BUT.... I was proven wrong!

As for Insurance/ medicare; Yes, most treatment facilities WILL accept Insurance/medicare as payment. Like you, I DID NOT want my treatment being in the permanent medical records, so I had to do something different: I sold my car, and paid for treatment in CASH, and checked in anonymously. If you absolutely do not want your name to appear in any medical records, unfortunately, that's the ONLY way that will work. When your insurance pays, the patient will have inpatient treatment listed on his/her policy's records permanently. These records are SUPPOSED to be confidential, but as you know, whenever ANYTHING is in a computer database, it is NEVER "confidential". Anything you get done that insurance pays for is listed in these records.

Treatment is expensive, but what is your life worth? how much have you spent on drugs in any given monthly period? I can assure you that treatment is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than what any of us have paid in drug bills!

Good luck in your search!

Jess

P.S. If you have any other questions, or need info on various treatment centers, please e-mail me at: ***@****

When I got clean from heroin over ten years ago, I went into a fantastic treatment center.  I had no money or medical insurance and they took me in for FREE!!!  Others paid on a sliding scale.  It is NOWHERE on any of my records because I was allowed to sign in anonymously.  I have been very glad for that since it has been better for my career to not make my addictive history known to authority types (some of that old par-a-noia!  This treatment program has three different locations throughout the U.S.  They are wonderful--they saved my life (along with AA, family, friends, and the old HP--higher power).  If you would like to know more about the treatment program, email me at ***@****

Good luck--I feel your pain.
hi - you make such a good point about money being spent on drugs vs. money being spent on rehab.  we have all been willing to fork over whatever it took to get our drugs.

how are you doing?  how's your wife?  she doesn't post anymore:(
where did  you go?
11 years is a long time ago. It would anyone's guess where Alexandra went. If you find her... let us all know.