Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Opiate Withdrawal--Thomas Recipe

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Opiate Withdrawal--Thomas Recipe

Starting my full detox program today.  Using the Thomas recipe, slightly modified by adding Valerian root and Ativan instead of valium....Back Story, suffer from back issues, began taking them as needed for pain then you all know the rest of this story.  Was taking about 8-10 norcos for the last 6 months and a much smaller habit (3-6) for 3-4 years prior to that.  Things started spinning out of control recently and I need to just cut it out completely.  I did a taper down to about 3 pills yesterday and 1 today but am out and am moving forward cold turkey.  Last pill was 8:40 AM PST.  Any advice?

PS....I don't think my back is messed up enough to warrant all these meds, I'm just gonna man up and deal with the pain.  I need the mental clarity.  My son is now 5 months old and I love every minute with him.  Once I'm clean 100% I know I will enjoy my life with him and my wife even more.....Hope this doesn't last to long, wish me luck!
Force fluids and get up and move around, you will feel better in the long run. Stay here and talk to others who are going thru the same thing it will help and keep your mind off of the W/D.

Oh, and don't take anymore pills!
Thanks!  Got rid of them all.  Have Wednesday through Sunday off work and am hoping to be able to work from home by Monday.  I'm very motivated.  I will make an attempt to post here daily.  Thanks for the note, it came just as I was really beginning to struggle.  My wife made me some chicken soup and I have been drinking tons of water.  Going to bed in a few hours and praying I get a little sleep.  Tonight I will take an Ativan, Valerian Root and a melatonin for sleep after a hot bath with epson salt.
You've got a good plan! Don't take the ativan for too long. I came off a similar daily dose and time of use. You should be able to work from home no problem by Monday. Get ready to feel really crappy for a few days. No avoiding it. Get some exercise EVERY DAY, even if you have to drag your
a s s out the door. Walk around the block, anything to get your body moving.
Hydrate, then HYDRATE again. Distract yourself with movies, books, etc.
The nights will be the hardest, at least they were for me. You will get used to
being up at night. Most importantly, put an aftercare plan in place. Be it NA, therapy, whatever you choose, DO SOMETHING. YOu will find after a while that the detox was the easy part ( I know, sounds crazy!) it's the staying clean that's hard. Take care and keep posting.
My story is very similar with the back injury in the progression on the pain pills after 6 years. I maid the same decision 14 days ago. I followed the thomas recipe. in the morning lots of vitamins and minerals as much watery instant oatmeal with a little brown sugar as I can eat. I'm pretty sure ok meal draws out toxins. I carried a couple water with me wherever I wish I was drinkin it all the time. I made myself go out during the day and I literally walked circles around my truck. at night headphones in good music saved my life. my wife slept in the back room so that I could toss and turn in sweat in roll. the recipe really help my lower g I n kkeep my energy up during the day. move the clock away from your bed time will slow down for a couple days we are all different in this is just my experience I will say a prayer for you you can do this
Thanks!  Luckily (I guess) : ) I only have 15 Ativans.  I'll be using them as sparingly as possible but can't see them lasting past day 5.  By Day 5 I hope I'm good enough to not need them.  I have 7 days worth of Vitamins all lined up day and night ready to take.  It was one of the last things I did to prepare for this war!  Thanks for the advice!  I fear tonight big time.
Thanks...How are you feeling now?  My wife is very supportive.  We set up my bed in the other room that I will move to if I keep her up.  I hope I make it through this.  I spent the last 3 days preparing myself for this and I just want to get through this more than ever.  Congrats to you, I hope I can follow suit...
  hi, just wanted to give you some support and let you know you aren't alone.  I'm doing the same thing.  Today is my 4th day off methadone.  The sleepless nights are the worse thing about it all!  But it seems like I'm starting to get used to it.  Like notme42long said - the headphones at night help a lot!  Also a hot bath with epsom salt right before bed.  :)
thanks.  I appreciate it.  I'm really starting to feel it now.  Definitely will take all the good advise.  My baby goes down for sleep at 730 at which time I will do an epson salt bath then take my Ativan, valerian root and melatonin and hope for the best!   Man this hurts!
One more thing, I sound like I'm pimping for walmart, I keep pushing these things on everybody!! 3in1 Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplement at Walmart.
4 in the morning 4 at night, with food. Literally cured my RLS, which was a total nightmare for me. Big bottle for $6. It'll take a couple of days to work, so start as soon as you can.
Be strong 3 days. Imodium (immodium) regularly. I got a water cooler right outside my door but Plenty of water Little gatorade I went and bought some of those expensive juices 9 dollars a bottle for brain juice. I'll be on tonight is long as I can. Unless I get blessed with a sleep.
Just 1 of the many improvements are ready I've been so early to work everyday since I went back
I'll try to get some at CVS....no walmarts near me but thanks for the advice.  
Nice.  I'm super motivated.  Just a little worried about the nights and the next couple days!  I can't wait for that feeling of sobriety, It's been so long for me I forgot how good it feels.  You saying that about work reminds me though....I want that badly.
I did exactly what you were doing I called in sick 3 days and then have the weekend and was back at work on monday. I think the adrenaline from not sleeping was helping me get through the day at work. by the end of the week I was ready for the weekend so that I could continu to unwind nnd continue recovery. you have a good plan you'll do fine
Thanks.  off to my epson salt bath, then take my nightly meds, just put my son to bed.  I know tonight will be rough, but no work tomorrow.  We have a baby sitter who thinks I have a bad case of food poisoning... :) and my wife has been super cool she knows we are doing so well with the kid together even with me taking 10 norcos a day that it will be that much better clean.  Good times ahead!
Hi!  Just wanted to say that you seem to have such a great attitude.  That is part of the battle you have already won!  Keep doing the epsom salt baths as often as you need to.  Careful with the ativan.  I'm sure you know that already.  The thomas recipe is very useful.  Everyone is different.  I drank lots of gatorade and apple juice and it helped a lot with my leg cramps and rls.  Valerian root is great to try also.  Add a Super B Complex vitamin. That will help you with energy in a subtle way.  No "surge" of energy, but if you take it daily it does help.  

Hang in there and stay positive!  Oh.....and when you can, get out for a short walk in the sun.  That is sure to make you feel better! : )
Knockin ask how your night went because I know. You sound like you got a strong driving force in a good plan. after the( food poisoning) will pass in a few days. I tried all the sleep remedies nothing works for me until the sixth night I got a little sleep. you got this going into work now talk to you later
I don't know how I missed your post but wanted to chime in and offer my support. I really didn't have a plan when I quit back in November. I didn't find this site until day 4. It sounds like you have a great attitude and support from your wife, which is a big plus. I believe you will be successful. I can't tell you how much it helped and continues to help me posting here. This forum has gotten me through some pretty rough days.

I will be thinking of you. Take care and great job so far!

Minn
Thanks Leann....I will try that super  B.  I have B 6, is this super B something differerent?
Rough....but did actually sleep.  My legs did OK, for some reason my arms were flailing all over the place....lol.  Ended up on the couch after I fell asleep for about an hour in bed,., Overall between the valerian root, melatonin and ativan that I took at 7 (retook all three at 1 AM), I woke up feeling somewhat alive today...was expecting worse.  I think I got about 4 hours sleep! I think tonight could be the toughest night for me as when I go to bed tonight the opiates will be more than 36 hours out of my system....I'm hanging in there, I refuse to go back to the darkside.  
Super B has all the B vitamins in it. I may need to get that one for myself. I hadn't thought of it.
Right attitude brother.. Dr is using a simular drug to help with this short term anxiety and depression.  Which is normal.  We feel like crap.  I'm on day 8 today... Your in my prayers and we made the right choice.  Life is to precious to waste on pain meds we CAN do WITHOUT...   Right with ya bro.... WAter water water water, excersize often.  SWEAT it's good.. I'm plannin on back to work next week myself.   I just don't feel right yet.... But
BETTER everyday.. Hang in there... 3-4 days SUCK.. Can't put it anyother way... ( IN HIS SERVICE RICK HENRY )
Thanks Man...I appreciate it.  exercise will be easy...my dog is waiting for me to walk her  lol.   Congrats on day 8....That's awesome.  Can't wait til I can say that.
I'm glad to hear you're doing well and hanging in there strong. Just be patient I myself am a results orientated person. After receiving some wisdom from other members. I realize not to push myself. it takes time. I will send you a message later when I get a chance. walk the dog and have a good day
strange feeling.....waking up grabbing vitamins instead of pain pills.  
Just had a bowl of ceral waiting for the sun to rise over here in California..then off on the dog walk.  Thanks..Have a good day
Doit - I LOVE you attitude, you've prepped well so I know you are probably feeling bad right now but know you will through this before you know it - I remember my detox so well, I remember just wishing to get to 60 days and here I am at day 58 today.  You got this, I wanted to give you some support.
Yes, Super B Complex is different and helped me more than just the one that you're taking now.  I had started with B12 in the beginning, but then I changed over to the super b.  Big difference!  I have way more energy with that one.  Also, throw in some caffeine and exercise and the MOST important thing......force fluids like gatorade and apple juice.  They both help keep you hydrated and also help the RLS and leg cramping.  You will feel like you have to pee every 5 minutes, but you're going to do that during detox anyway, so might as well drink and stay hydrated!  
HURTING!  just took half an ativan and about to watch hangover 2...we see how this goes....
Made it through 1 movie...on to the next....Withdrawal Symptom:  Hot and cold, light headed...no runs yet, just an overall feeling of crap...but hanging in there....fearing tonight
minute by minute, hour by hour - you can do this!  Be thanksful no runs yet (you got your immodium all ready?)

Hang in there my friend.  I took benedryl or nyquil to help me get a little sleep through withdrawal - that can make everything feel so much worse when you don't sleep.

Remember to breath, try to picture a really calming landscape in your head or a good memory.  Really see the detail, smell the smells, picture a calming blue light.  When you feel like you'll go over the edge try to think of this, breath deep and focus.  I use this at night when I'm having anxiety with trying to sleep.
I did the same thing... watched movies and TV shows that were taking up space on the DVR. Yes, do get that Immodium if you haven't already. Lots of great advice already given. I will add that drinking Sleepy Time tea with lemon and honey and a peppermint stick helped me, too. I also became very close to my heating pad ;)
Thanks.  I Do have the immodium but haven't really needed it yet.  I got a sleepytime tea tonight I will drinki it with my valerian root, melatonin and ativan....hopefully I get a few hours.of sleep and wake up with some confidence that the end is near.    I've been drinking a ton of water, and went on 2 walks today...nothing log but enough to feel like crap when i got back to the house...exhausted.  I owe my dog one more walk in a little bit then im gonna start the bed time process as soon as my son goes down to sleep (630)...wish me luck
Thanks I will have to give that a shot.....  I Do have the immodium ready.  Part of me thinks that might hit me tomorrow....just a hunch.  I got a sleepytime tea tonight I will drink it with my valerian root, melatonin and ativan....hopefully I get a few hours.of sleep and wake up with some confidence that the end is near.    I've been drinking a ton of water, and went on 2 walks today...nothing long but enough to feel like crap when i got back to the house...exhausted.  I owe my dog one more walk in a little bit then im gonna start the bed time process as soon as my son goes down to sleep (630)...wish me luck
Man you're doing great!
I sent you another message.
I am praying for a comfortable night for you.
See ya going to spend time with wife and son..
I CAN FINALLY SAY IT!  Thanks everyone!
Love you guys!
wow...You posting this just made me re-read this whole thing...Holy cow have I come a long ways.  Thanks All....32 days and feeling pretty damn good...
I have been tapering off methadobe for a few months now. Im geting down there. I only take 1 10mg tab a day. Next step is nothing and im scared. Can ne one help? I need some energy. And feeling a little depressed. What can i do to help?
This is an OLD post from 2012 maybe you should start a new one, I am over 100 days off methadone and I know you can do this
Hey, I am kicking right now myself. Being positive is the best tool you have. Want it as much as you want to never lose your child. Remember kids do what you DO, not what you SAY. Be a positive example in his life. He needs you. Age 2 is the most important years in any child's le when it comes to development . You need to be clean lon enough by that age to Ser positive examples. Get yourself educated also. find an IOP program to learn how to demolish your current behavior patterns and then rebuild ones that are healthy for both you and your son. I would FIRMLY AND GENUINELY recommend you look into this as soon as you read this. I have been in my own IOP program that kept me clean for 86 days today. they will teach you how to build a support network outside of the program itself. Them will also teach you how to be a better father. I cannot tell you how many men I hear who come into groups stating they used the tools they were taught on their children and how well it worked. keep your head up friend, I am suffering simultaneously somewhere else on the planet with you. Look into vitamins and supplements you can take also. they put you way ahead in the game. its like having Eli manning as your qb and your dying out there on the field.. somebody says hey take these vitamins and supplements. and they switch in Payton manning and its the fourth quarter, your downby 6 with 30 seconds and no timeouts left. you're on your own 40 yard line and Payton was just the hurry up offensive qb who you knew you couldnt lose the game with. good luck my friend. -Gabriel