Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Opiate withdrawal oxycodone withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Opiate withdrawal oxycodone withdrawal

Hi so im trying to quit. No. im quitting oxycodone and was wondering is it best to taper down or go cold turkeye been addicted for 1 year and need to stop. I would usually take 3-4 oxys 15 mg a day and now decided to quit these. Just  3days ago I went from 3 oxycodone 15mg pills (45mg a day) to just 1 half of a 15mg ie. 7.5 mg a day now. The first day I went from 45 mg to just 7.5mg was hard. But then 2days later my body is now adjusting to only having 7.5 mgs now. What ill do is withrawal half the day till I cant take it and then ill take half of a 15 and ill be ok till I wake up th     the next day. Tomorrow im going to try half of a half 3.5mg for one day then stop cold turkey the day after tomorrow. So will tapering down be better to help with withdrawals symptoms? Will withdrawals be ok if I taper versus cold turkey? Im afraid of really strong withdrawals I need advice help me please anyone im 19 yrs old btw
Hi and welcome!   Tapering can be of great help if you can stay with it and do it slowly, but where you are down to such a small amount I would jump off and get started.  The speed that you are tapering is almost just delaying the inevitable.. I jumped CT off almost 300 mg of oxy a day. That was 40 days ago.  It absolutely can be done.  The first 3-5 days will be the worst but if you really want this you can do it..  There is something called the Thomas recipe at the bottom of the page that can really help you along the way.. You are so young and have so much in front of you..I say flush the rest of the pills and get started on your future.

Please keep posting and let this awesome place help you

Sean
Hi!  I think that at this point you are totally taking it more for the mental part than the physical, which is why lots of people hang on to that last, little amount.  Flush them and get it done. (if you don't have any physical issues other than addiction....like heart, bp etc)  Look up Thomas Recipe.  It's posted everywhere!  And good luck!
Thankyu for the advice so much! I do have zanax and its been helping me sleep during restless leg syndrom (syndrome) and cold hot chills, im going to try and suck it up and go without it today ill be taking hot hot steam showers like I did last night, I think sweating helps get rid of the opiates, plus I heard hot baths help with aches and pains. Im going to try my hardest to be strong as possible today to finally stop. I have this game FALLOUT NEW VEGAS for the 360 to keep my mind distracted and the Dragonball z series they will help alot, thanks againg ill check out the thomas recipe! Godbless! Ill update on my success
Just be careful with the xanax as that can become a problem on its own.  Flush the opiates so you don't have any excuses... The second they are gone you will feel empowered.  Also try and get any exercise that you can.. It really helps.  Good luck and keep us up to date.
Shadow, I agree with Northeast on both being VERY careful with the xanax and jumping off and flushing the pills. Your taper will help some. For your W/D symptoms, plenty of fluids, vitamins, hot soaks and mild exercise. You will feel pretty bad for a few days. Like the flu, it will pass. I can tell you that
my detox wasn't any fun but it was worth every second to get free! Today
I don't worry about how much I have left or how I'm going to get more. It's
amazing how much control the pills had over my life. You can do this! Sticl around and we will help you through it. Take care.
I will definately keep note of xanax, just for sleep then. Ill take hot baths. Another thing that I noticed was my body was withdrawing bad yesterday at 8am-3pm till I took a 7.5mg of oxy to calm me down. I wake up today and around 8am-1 right now withdrawals arent as bad as yesterdays 8am hell. This is a good sign I think? my body is adjusting to not having oxy. I feel fatigue and a I have  little chills but not bad. Todays the first day I start cold turkey. Here I go----- x(
hello i was six days without any pills and i did one 5mg oxy three hours ago...do you think i made a mistake? i wasnt feeling too bad and the one pill i took made me feel a little bit better then i was feeling but i feel like i did a bad thing... i dont feel like doing any more i want to quit too just like you but i feel like i did a bad thing... i dont go to meetings or a doctor or anything... i am trying to do this alone.. thanks. and i can tell you what has helped me in the six days i didnt do anything if you want.
You were really just delaying the inevitable...  I'm not going to lie, your going to have a few days that your not going to feel good.  You will get through this with all the suggestions listed above.  Keep posting and reading and stay in the moment and you will do great...

Did you get rid of the pills???
Woooow I just came out from a hoot bath and lemme tell u it relaxed every muscle and my mind as welll I have the chills right now layin in bed feelin sleepy drowsy gonna take a nap and watch hangover 2 for positive feelings
I got rid of the last pill, gonna start cold turkey amd miss a few days of work, tbh this is my 2nd time withdrawing. In high school I was first introduced to it, then quit pills to join the army.. 1years later im addicted again and now I gotta quit tjis drug its like a demon holding me back blah I feel crappy but im being as strong as possible ill try excercising some how pushups
Sounds like a good plan.  Stick around and keep us updated.  You can do it!
Ok so its day 2, I still feel like I have a flu, medium chills sweaty armpits feet and palms... Feelin fatigue, watery stools, and a lil sad. I didnt have the $ for thomas recipe.. So im using what I have, power aid, vitamin b12, green tea - tea bags, magnesium, potassium 99mg, and nyquil to help relieve symptoms. I even eat strawberries and blueberries thats about it.. I just want all this to hurry and go away I feel crappy but acomplished that I made it 1 and a half day already thankyou for helping , this website is a big help for support
IMO... Nyquill is going to make you feel worse..  I would stay away from it.  Your going to get a groggy feeling from it on top of everything else.  Just my opinion..      If you can swing it I really recommend getting at least the Immodium .  It will help alot.  

Hang in there and keep posting.  This will pass..
Hey Shadow. Glad you're taking some time off to do this. You'll be very happy about that decision. All your symptoms are normal. You're headed for the
worst of the detox right now. You'll be fine with what you have on hand. Go easy on the nyquil, it's loaded with alcohol and will add a hangover to everything else if you overdo it.  Try and get some mild exercise. Go out for a walk or whatever you do for exercise. This will help in all kinds of ways...energy, mood, and sleep. If you start to feel achy and restless, get in the tub for a nice hot soak. INSTANT RELIEF! Hang in there for 48 more hours and you'll be through the wringer. After that, you will feel better and better. Take care and keep posting.
YES, Northeast is right, do get some immodium if you haven't got any. The runs will dehydrate you and that's BAD when detoxing. You need to constantly be taking in fluids. This will speed up the detox process more than anything else. Water will flush the toxins out of your body. I LIVED in the bathroom for 4 days. Either peeing or the other thing.
great! I went for a walk today and with 5 bux, I walked to family dollar bought a 5hour energy drink and poweraid, I mixed the 5hour energy with poweraid and wow it helped alot I took sips of the 5hour poweraid throughout the day after 2 hot baths, I been drinking lots of water, acai berry juice coconut water and more acai berry. I have been using magnessium, potassium, vitamin c, and eating healthy meals with lotsa pepper and green veggies, especially spinache. Im surprised, my recovery feels like its speeding up the more healthy I eat, right now I just feel.fatigue and having baby hot flashes, everything else is going away already, this withdrawal feels like itll be over by tomorrow day 3. Im more optimistic now that im recovering. I wouldnt have been able to this on my own without all.of u who.replyed and helped with advise especially the one where I was told to.flush the rest of my pills away, and that its really just a mental.addiction. Thankyu everyone ill post tomorrow day 3 on how im doing! Gnite
:)
Glad to here you are feeling pretty good.  I hope you have a smooth sailing from here but if you do have a down day don't get discouraged.. Just keep pushing forward.  Keep us updated!
Day 3: im back at work, this morning was a lil rocky with diarhea (diarrhea) and nausia, but now im feeling better, the wds are coming at me in waves every other hour but it feels good to WD. I can feel my body picking itself back up from a "trainwreck" . My mind is more clearer, my future choices are clearer, my goals are coming back, and for some reason music sounds freakin awsome lol I took alot for granted while I was high on oxy. I love this new feeling of being sober its like being reborn!
Thankyou God
day 4 6pm: welp looks like the worst of the worst is gone, withdrawals are gone, thank god. I feel some what fatigue, and my lower back gets really sore now while im at work, its kinda bothering me that my lower spine gets so sore, is this normal to be easily sore on the lower back after coming off oxy?
Yea it's really normal.You are doing great keep it up!  Keep your guard up.
Glad you are feeling better Shadow...   Stay on your path!
Shadow how is everything?  Haven't heard from you in a few days.. Hope all is well.
Hello everybody im proud and happy to say im a funtional member of society! I feel great now that opiates are out of my life, im able to accomplish more now! I can now work 8-10 hour shifts at work where before while I was dependent on oxycodone I was only able to hack 4-6 hour shifts. Ah thankyou for all the support, advice, and replys. Im a free man now and nothing can stand in the way of my future, im19 yrs old and want to reach my goals now godbless everyone and thankyou
Hey Shadow.....Congratulations on the clean time....good job....stay strong little brother and enjoy your newfound energy.....hope yuo'll always remember the difference in how you felt on the Oxy and how you feel now....good lesson to get early on in life....ROCK ON !!!

n8tiv_ndn
Glad to hear it Shadow....   Stick around here and keep your guard up!

Congrats.
Don't flush any medication, it gets into the water supply.  Either take extra pills to a community drop off, or put them in the garbage.