Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Opiate withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Opiate withdrawal

Hey,
I am a working mom (I guess my nickname gives the working part away) and have been on Lort 10 for about 2 years.  In the last year I have gotten up to 15-20 per day.  I recently quit cold turkey (despite having to work and be a wife and mom)and am on day 6. The withdrawal has gotten better, but I think that I fear the night time the most. I just can't seem to sleep.....almost at all. Any idea how long this will last?

I know that I am strong in that I have made it throught the worst part of this whole thing....having to function normally through most of this, but I cannot keep going with such little sleep. I feel so groggy in the morning I almost can't get going.

I really can't go to anyone...even a doctor...because of my and my family's position over here.  Can anyone please give me some advice or even some words of encouragement?

Thanks to all of you for allowing me to read your stories.  It has really helped me throughout all of this during those restless nights.  You are all so strong in what you have done!
I know what you are feeling, I'm also withdrawing from an opiate, for migraine headaches. I have gradually had to increase the dosage over a span of 40 years, headaches were more frequent, depending on events of life. I'm doing pretty well but I am not doing the cold turkey way, as you are. I'm finally down to 1 every other day which I am pretty happy about. Though I have only taken the meds for headaches, I feel I'm taking way too many as I've been having rebound headaches for too long...and the opiate can cause that as my doctor tells me.

I, too, have learned so much from those posting on this site.  It has been an education...and I feel for and support you and all those trying to withdraw, it isn't easy I'm finding out.  Even being on 30 a month is rough to pull away from, but that is 365 a year that I was taking! When I started doing the math...I didn't like what I saw....!

Actually it is a good thing that so many are realizing what drugs can do to the body...and I guess it depends on who wants to have a real life and who doesn't.  
I've been lucky that I had a good doctor who felt that I wasn't abusing them, but he died 2 years ago...that sent me reeling. He understood the pain because he got migraines also. The doctor that took his place supports me knowing the migraine pain can be excruciating but he also says to try other methods first, before reaching for the opiate.

I've been using this "HEAD ON" that is advertized on TV and in drug stores..and I can't believe it...it has been working for me!!!  Hard to believe.  My headaches were the sickest, most painful things since I was 8 years old.  And they come along with something like "HEAD ON", which is homeopathic but the druggist said he can't keep it on his shelf...all the older people are using and swearing by it!!! And now I'm trying it and it seems to works!?!  Go figure! If anyone else here has migraines or tension headaches, try it and let me know if it works for you!

As for you having difficulty sleeping, opiates I do know can keep you awake for days sometimes! And withdrawing even makes not sleeping worse for awhile. My doctor gave me Ambien...which I don't care for and will quit soon. But when I was under a great deal of stress in my life I would take a whole one once in awhile but later on I only took 1/2 a pill at a time, now I only take them (1/2) maybe once or twice a week. It does work but you had better be near a bed because you will go out pretty fast. I think after I get control of the opiate, then I will get more tired..at least that is what I'm hoping.  I am quitting all medications and going to do the homeopathic way for awhile and see if it works for me.

Good luck to you Attorney, hang in...you sound determind. There are certain homeopathic ways to try for sleep.  Visit a health food store and ask them, they are usually very willing to help.
Good luck to you,
CAN
Today is my 2nd day.  Yesterday was livng hell...I was expecting some discomfort...but nothing like the chills and whatever it was I went through with the sneezing and the runs I was going trhough.   I was doig 8 - 10 vics a day.  7.5's    I feel like ****.There is not one part of my body that doesn't hurt... my hair hurts.

Maybe that was the worst of it yesterday... I seem to be somewhat calmed down today... chills have passed.Eating is unthinkable.  ewww... this is sheer hell.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Gip
Gip -

Hey, I  posted to you in a different thread - hang in there!  Do Gatorade/powerade.  I'm telling ya - it made me feel better yesterday.  

I have not gone c/t - i'm down to 5mg a day right now - so  I cannot imagine what you are going through - but i know it sucks.

Attorney - thanks for your post.  You can do it - seems like you have done the hard part - and you sound mentally like you are ready to beat this thing!  Draw on the experiences from others in this group - it does help.  It helps to know you aren't alone!

Gip - keep us posted.  I'll be thinking and praying for you!
    I am fairly new to this forum and am sooo glad that I found it. I go to a Methadone Clinic and have earned myself a week of take homes for my compliancy and clean drug screens. But I have read all of your posts, and can totaly relate to the withdrawals and what you are all going through. Its very important to have a STRONG SUPPORT SYSTEM while you are in recovery..thats the #1 thing to always remember. Even if you can't make it to a NA meeting to whatever, come here or lean on some close friends. I, myself don't really have much of a support system, but I do have a counselor as a part of the clinic that I go to and that does help immensely. I got pretty bad myself on the Hydros & Loratabs..a script of 60 might last me 2 days.
       But it took my going to jail with my ex-hubby's mom in Jan.2006, to realize just how bad I had gotten and this was while on the clinic. She had gotten a script and asked me to drop it off, and I did....went back to pick it up, and was met up with the cops. So needless to say, I spent 20 days in jail, without Methadone..and went through major withdrawals in there. I went through major sweats, sneezing, my arms & legs twitched while I tried sleeping. The meds that the jail gave me was a cocktail of different dugs, that made me hallucinate and ****. But then after that, they only gave me meds for like a week or more, and after that I was left with being W-I-D-E- AWAKE at nights.
    I have heard that you can go through with withdrawals for many months. But if you are going through this cold turkey..I don't recommend it..but if you do, go to an herbal store and see what they have for helping you sleep. I'm sure that they have herbal teas that will help for sleep. As for detoxing..tell them that you need a Detox Regimen. Its also known as a Liver/Kidney Flush but they have a term for it, just ask. I am a big believer in alternative meds. I have Polycystic Kidney Disease, Chronic Pain, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Degenerative Disc Disease/Lumbar & Cervical Disease, Gallbladder Stones, Kidney Stones and etc. I just recently had a heart attack and underwent emergency, double bypass open heart surgery in Ocotber 2006. I am ONLY 33 years old. But thats what genetics does for ya. 2 of my arteries were 100% clogged with plaque from High Cholesterol.
     But back to the alternatve meds, afew years back, a friend told me about herbs, cause she had MS (Multiple Scelerosis) and she had been using herbal meds. I go to this place, and after telling them my probs with my health, they gave me a bunch of bottles.I took them home and took the pills as prescribed. After a few days..I past 2 kidney stones!!! This is NO BS! I am dead serious.
     If it had not been for the toilet paper floating on top of the water in the toilet, I would have missed them. But when I passed them, they were caught by the toilet paper
(GROSS, I KNOW) but thats how I know that Herbal Medicine works. I mean think about it, what did they do in the olden days for medicine? They used home remedies, herbs, and etc. So I know that it works. But I would NOT go to a GNC and expect to get what ya need. I'd go to a hole in the wall, small herbal shop somewhere..make sure that they have taken some kind of classes or that they are certified in herbs. Because I went to a small herbal store and thats how I come to find my special regimen. Just go in and tell them your ailments and they will lead ya around, giving you what you need.
       Sorry for such a long post...but for some reason I am soo passionate about drug addiction/script addiction and alternative meds. I just want people to know that there are other ways to deal with pain and health problems. Because I live with my pain every day of my life. But I am closing for now. Bless all of you who are doing this cold turkey! It takes a hell of a person to do that...
               God Bless,
               Jess 'da Rabbit  :)
I think the answer to this is fairly simple.  Go to your doctor and tell them you are having a period of poor sleeping.  You can say that thoughts of work or other stress related issues are keeping you up (I think that is a fair way to not express the exact nature of your personal challenge here).  Lunestra and Ambien will work.  They are fairly mild.  I used Lunestra and found it to be much milder than any sleep aid I have ever used.  When I say mild - I mean this - all sleep meds kind of have a foggy/druggy feel to them when waking.  Even Lunestra, but its very mild and you are up in moving in no time.  You can even ask for a sleep aid by name.  Docs don't ususally have a problem prescribing 15 or 20 pills, especially if you don't have a history of asking for them.  In short usage these drugs are non habit forming.  That should fix ya up.
Thanks for all of your advice and stories.  The hardest part of this whole thing is that I am a total sleeper.....requiring at least 8 hours of sleep (at least prior to this). So, needless to say, the not sleeping is the hardest part.

I am now on day seven.  I expected that this would be the day that I feel better and have more strength to fight this through.  Unfortunately, this is not the case.  I kind of feel like I am back-tracking.....the jumpy legs, shaking and even more restless.  

Out of all the reading I've done I have come to realize that it will take much more than 7 days to be completely finished and back to some sense of normalcy.....but does that mean that there will be bad days and good days?  Like I said, I am a "sleeper", and I don't know how much more of this I can take.  It kinda makes you a little crazy to function on a normal level with so little sleep!

Good luck to all of you who have done and are doing what I have done.  One thing I have realized out of all of this hell is that I AM very strong.  Not just anyone can do it like this......so congrats to all of you in my position.  If you are strong enough to make it through this HELL, you can do just about ANYTHING!
I think C/T is the best way for me... I don't see any reason to get addicted to anything else I have to give up in the process, I surely didn't start with anything else.

It's brutal... today is day three for me ..... so far the worst.

I have some Xamax I've been taking at night to sleep, but I gave them up a week before I started backing off from the Hydros... trust me...as soon as I am over this feeling of tossing and turning....they are in the trash.  Thank God I wasn't using them daily, so getting off them was not a big deal, I actually felt better.

The Hydro on the other hand... stomach cramps, chills, body aches... the whole nine yards... I'm miserable... but it's only day three.   It's like having the worst stomach flu I ever had.

NEVER AGAIN....   I will never use them again.   This is just too much to go through and life with them, after a while is not really living

Happy Holiday
Gip
I'm brand new to this site. Here's my deal........ I'm a 40 year old very active and athletic male. I've been taking "P-cets" for about a 1 1/2 years. I started out taking very few and now(the last 12 months) taking 20 to 30 a day!! I decided the day after Christmas that enough was enough!!! I got some Meth's pills from a friend and decided to come up with my own detox plan. I'm in my 5th day and it seems what I've come up with has worked very well. Not untill today(my day 5) did I read on this site about other people taking this and backing off the doses each day. Here's what I did. Please let me know what you think of my plan. I have had very little withdrawals with this plan!!! can anyone tell me what to do from Day 6 or 7 to day 14. I'm wondering what I should do if anything the 2ND WEEK!??
Tuesday I took my last 3 Per. at 11pm (all at once)!!
Wed- 9am got up and took 2(5 mill)"METHODOSE pills, and later in the day(5pm)I took 1(5 mill)M for a total of 15 mill!
Thursday- took again 2 5 mill. in the AM and 1 5 mill. at 5pm for a total again of 15 mill.
FRIDAY- (My day 3) took only (1)5 mill.in the morning and 1 5 mill at 6pm that late afternoon. NOW MY TOTAL INTAKE IS DOWN TO 10 mill TOTAL!!
Sat-30th -took 1 5mill @11:30am,1/2 pill@11pm total =7.5 mill total! Sunday(today)(1)5mill at 2pm today...now what??, Please help!!!
My name is Anthony, I have been using pain medications from Perks, Oxy, Hydro etc.... for over 5 years and today is day 6 clean. Cold Turkey. The problem I have is that I was diagnosed with GAD anxiety disorder.  So when I'm not taking any thing " drugs" I feel dizzy, pain in left side chest, arm, cold hands, confusion, anxiety, exhausting, feels like my organs are killing, have vivid dreams about friends, drugs, problems in my life, the whole deal.

So like I said day 6 and right now its just the dizziness, confusion, anxiety that getting me all wacky. I want to go to the hospital but I know nothing is wrong with me.

My question is has anyone else went through anxiety after detox and how long did it take to pass?

Anthony
anthony you never said how much of oxy's you were taking?
i have been taking oxy's for 2 years now, and up to 3 80's a day.
i want to get off, and thinking of cold turkey. don't know how bad it will be? i notice everyone is different in terms of withdrawls.
anyone out there have any suggestions??? i certainly don't want to do methadone from all that i have read about it.
okay so here we go. this is round three of cold turkey for this kid. I, as well, do appreciate my sleep. And attorney ihave taken just about every sleep aid possible and the only thing that they do is mke me feel stupid and still awake. okay so here is my deal, like i said that i have gone through this but thi time i wa on Suboxone for several months,great drug by the way if you can afford it, but how stupid am i for allowing myself to go through this not once, not twice, but three times? One thing I know now is to never say never because sometimes never is not so far off. Day two for me though and it is going on two in the morning. man do i dislike the night time! oh well gotta get through it right.
I have never posted on boards like this and don't like to even think about the hell this medicine put me through. I took all kinds of opiates over 5 or 6 years (lortab, norco, perc, oxy, methadone). I reached the point where I felt like a prisoner in my own body. I decided to go off methadone in October 2006. That was the worst feeling I have ever felt. Instead of quitting entirely, I kept taking norco until 3 days ago.

Every time I go off the medicine, I always lose sleep - pretty much entirely. The first night, usually no sleep at all. The second night maybe a 1/2 hour or an hour of trash sleep (not very rewarding if you know what I mean). I tried ambien CR in October but it turned out to create another problem. I need to take 2 to fall asleep. Once asleep, I would continue to look for the ambien to take more (I don't really remember doing this but my wife told me about it). I ended up taking 5 in one night without realizing it. I'm glad she noticed and stopped me there. I guess I was desperate for sleep or at least some escape from the hell.

This is day 3 for me and I'm finally starting to feel OK. I still can't interact with my kids yet - any little thing stresses me out like you wouldn't believe. I hope you can get some quality sleep soon - I know how hard that makes the process.

I heard a DJ on the radio talk about getting off methadone and he said he couldn't sleep for a month. I'm assuming he did get an hour or two here and there but that's ridiculous.
I am reading all your threads to see if anyone shares my symptoms of severe chills up and down my spine. Also some GI symptoms like diarrhea but tolerable.

I am surprised that I don't see anyone mention the use of suboxone or subutex.  It is cutting edge in the treatment of opiate addiction.  It can only be prescribed by a qualified physician (usually an addiction medicine specialist) My recommendation for ANYONE that has become addicted to opiates like Vicodin,Lorcet, percodan, codeine, etc is to contact an addiction medicine specialist and ask them about this drug. It can nearly eliminate withdrawal symptoms.  (It can be expensive though)  My problem is that I may be withdrawing from this drug, but that is a whole other story.
does this still work?
So that last post was a test. Anyway, I've been on Hydrocodone 10/650 for a little over a year. I'm not going to lie and say this was my first experience with painkillers because I would take them from time to time as a recreational thing. I don't drink at all and I do smoke pot on an almost daily basis. Now, I can do up to 20 of those pills a day. I've gone through w/d's about four times in the past fifteen months and each time I said "I will never take these things everyday again!!" Now, I just want to quit, but I can't stand the symptoms. I truly believe my abuse of this drug started when I lost my father to cancer in December 2004. No doubt I've been medicating my feelings about it and the other stressors in my life. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can detox off of this such as suboxone, methadone, outpatient detox (I can not go into a rehab). Maybe I can go to an outpatient detox and see a therapist on an outpatient basis. Truthfully, in my heart of hearts, I know it's time to end it, the fun's over. However, I can't afford to lay up in bed for three or four days or go to a rehab. I just want to get through these w/d's and go on with my life; any suggestions?  
please do a search on this forum for FLaddict.....she tapered down slowly from the hydros and used amino acids, and melatonin for sleep....i am followiing her plan, and it does work....i am in week 2....down from 6 a day to 2 3/4 day....and will continue tabering until i can get the suboxone...which will probably be at the end of the month,....but everything she has recommended has worked...esp. the amiinos.....the relief they bring is just incredible.....
without a doubt the best treatment for any opiate addiction is getting yourself on a list to get into suboxone treatment....NO METHADONE!!!!!!...suboxone treatment is hard to get into, and without script coverage ( insurance ) can also be very expensive!!! only certian certified detox docs can prescribe this drug, and due to the large amount of money that methadone manufacturers pour into the federal government, these docs are only allowed to take on thirty patients at a time.....this drug is SOOO cutting edge that if they put up suboxone clinics like they do for methadone, meth would become obsolete....i went through the whole c/t thing, lasted about three weeks before it finally broke me and i started to search for help.....every doc in the know suggested suboxone treatment over meth, as you will become more hooked on methadone than you were on opiates.....once i finally did get the suboxone, my life changed forever.....i have a addictive personality, and suboxone was not a COMPLETELY pain free withdrawal, but i am completely drug free and loving life right now.....i thank god for my support group, going through something like this can show you who your real family and friends are, and for helping me to overcome this disease!!!!! I KNOW that each and every one of you will look back on these dark days and wonder how you ever made it through, but then you will smile because you did!!! have faith and believe in yourself, and everything else will fall into place!! GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!!
I am trying to find out info re: the new treatment you are talking about. I am on 4 -30mgs of oxycodonone a day. Help me  with any advice. I live in Southern CA
its a death tra. ive watched it tear thru my family. including me. tryed suboxzone, dident work, sis tred meth, and dident work, bro tred meth dident work, now he has no job, fired for steeling, has 6 kids, and in a half way house. lucky his wife loves him that much. It made me come clean to my wife after years, and shes a nurse, I would have lied to my grave. but now ive been clean for 58 hours, not long but its a start, secret is to ween down, dont just stop. too painful. I pray to God every morn noon and night that all the lost can pull thru. we are all good people that just got wound up in something real crapy....GOD BLESS
Hi first of. As i can tell your all new to the forum so that's a big step on it's ouw. You have come to realise this cannot be done by yourself.
Sleep patttern's god the last thorn of w/d i hated it. I have been clean from herion for 34 day's today 32 as had 2 lapse's.  & my sleep pattern is all over. I can sleep but sometime's i'm up all night & sleep all day  (unless) at work. Then im really tired. I'm also tapering of methadone i was on 110ml a day but have got down to 50ml. I no there are alot of anti-meth people in here & i'm 1 of them. I swear it's the worst. Enyway hang on in there & just keep posting. ( why don't you set up porfils then you can add freinds & have privet messages ). You can tell a freind thing's yu don't feel right posting on the forum it can be a extea suppot group take care nat xx :)
I want to say welcome! I had offered my  grand idea on another board and it helped one person so I wanted to tell you also. I  am on the meds for cancer so Icant just not take them, I have however stopped taking a handfull just because of the pain! I am learning to deal with it on my own some to. I drink Sleepytime Tea and it works great, 3 tea bags and about a Table spoon of sugar, you will be in that drift off state and it truly does help I also sit in a warm tub and drink it that way my mind and body is relaxed! Just an idea for you! hope that it helps!

Becca
Tylenol PM, or Benadryl worked for me.  I still have trouble sleeping well, and I haven't taken vicodin in almost 40 days.  But.. I'm glad to say it is getting better.
Looking for info...I've been taking oxycontin for about 2 years.  3 80mg. pills a day, plus occasionally extra 5mg ocycodone with them.  It started out for back pain, and eventually turned recreational after the back pain was gone.  I've tried to quite about 3 times, and usually give up after about 3 days when I can't take the pain, restlessness and feelings like I want to die.  This time I've made up my mind for good, I can't live with the condemnation and consequences of the addiction anymore, not to mention the money I'm spending on them.....I'm too busy for rehab centers, and plus my family is not aware of what's going on and would dissaprove greatly.  I have 3 young kids that I stay home and take care of, and I don't want them to suffer anymore from mood swings, a lot of times this is why I turn back to the drugs.  I HAVE TO STOP!!!  Right now I'm on day 2, I did have a few vicodin today to help with the pain, but it's still incredibly unbearable.  I want to crawl out of my skin, I'm hot and cold at the same time, and am completely exhausted.  When I go to bed at night I toss and turn and get completely frustrated until finally I get up and suffer the long night.  I was just wondering if anyone knows how long these withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms will last, I'm hoping the wost will be over in a couple days, but have no idea.  If anyone out there has quite cold turkey with no meds I would love to hear how long the suffering lasted.  Hopefully it will be encouraging enough to get me through this hell.  PLEASE HELP!!!
Read this. It has some stuff I have tried for sleep....naturally. I am a 8-10 hour sleeper. I have to have the sleep or I turn into a narcaleptic during the day.  : )  I am a 10 year on and off again junkie. Right now, my drug of choice is pills....a whole different variety including Vic's. The detox I do is this:

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2899

I learned a lot of it when I went to holistic medicine classes, but mostly it has come from experience.

Good luck.

I checked out your website, and found it very useful and encouraging.  I'm headed to into town right now to get the natural supplements you suggested.  ANYTHING to make me feel even a little bit better.  Thanks for the info!
Funny how the ignorant might think that professional, intelligent, talented & gifted people don't touch the stuff.

Enjoyed your post.  Welcome.
this is an old post...one of you might want to repost this with your specific question if you need more feedback...welcome to the forum
hey hun, like toxictome said, you posted on a very old thread and may get overlooked.

it's always best to post a new thread (Post A Question - above) so everyone sees your request and can get you all the help you need..

good luck.. lot's of people here to support you...
I am 47 year old female, I have been taking Oxycodone/Percocet for the past 3-4 years, original problem was dislocated pelvic bone resulting from 6 abdominal surgeries, then breast cancer, double mastectomy and now Rhumatoid Arthritus.  There is pain from my head to my toes.  I have tried numerous times to stop taking drugs (COLD TURKEY) and became so sick and in so much pain I had to go back.  I take 10-15 per day (ranging in 5mg, 10mg, 15 mg (Roxicodone) to 20 mg CR.)  I take a chemo shot weekly along with long term breast cancer meds (ARIMIDEX) both causing severe bone pain.  My Pain Management Dr. and Oncologist have both told me that the pain meds are actually maintenance drugs and that I should not have shame in taking them, I cannot buy into this, I just don't think that I can spend the rest of my life taking these.  I have lost my job, lost friends, stopped driving, actually become almost a home bound recluse.  I am on 100% disability from work and also 100% service related (military).  I am convinced that my loss of memory is from the drugs and not the CHEMO.  I am expecting a grandchild in July and my son will have to return for his 2nd term in Iraq and I need to be healthy and sober enough to go and care for my daughter in law and grandchild.  I WANT MY LIFE BACK!  What kind of things can I do to help with the withdrawals, I think I am strong enough to do this with some help.  All of you seem so nice, strong, well educated and not accusatory people.......pls advise?
You have posted on an old thread, so it may not get alot of attention. Please re-post (copy & paste?) to a separate post. Everyone will answer you and help you out. Hang in there. We're here to help
Pls explain in detail, I dont understand, where do I repost?  Thank You for Listening
Go to the top of the page and there is a green button tha tsays POST QUESTION...click on it an and write your question....
I have been taking ambien for sleep off and on for years...my doc feels like a good night sleep is the best thing for back pain...and he is right...I have never abused it nor developed a tolerence to it..I take about 2.5 mg a night...but not all night...I have it for this ****/quitting I mean and may take more...It is hard to abuse it because you fall asleep within 15 minutes of taking it...be close to a bed...do not drink while taking it...there is no hangover as it is short acting...It is not a narcotic...I am not pushing drugs to detox from drugs...but those of us who need to work and keep going have to sleep...I did try lunesta but did not work for me but works for many...you need to give yourself every break you can get for a little while (:
i have been taking percocets for a year and 1/2 and tried to get off of them three times it was to hard and no sleep couldn't handle it...I know if i could sleep at night i would get through it somehow if there is anyone who knows any home rememedies or suggestions for restlessness i would greatly appreciate it my email address is ***@****
Im having the SAME problem. im on day 3 and cant handle not sleeping. dont know if i should take a lortab at night only???? let me know if anyone can help!!
I have been suffering from this dependency for 3 years and am on day 4 C/T. I was taking 15 norco 10/325 everyday for most of that 3 years. In an attempt to "self-detox" (approx. a year ago) I started on ambien 10 mg and quickly became addicted to that too. Please be weary of jumping onto an RX sleep medication such as Ambien (Zolpidiem) because you may become cross addicted such as I did. I was also a professional in this field until this addiction cost me my job. Although the withdrawls are HORRIBLE opiate addiction withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms are not life threatening. Suboxone is a very relevant and legitimate way to bypass these symptoms but a large percentage of these pt's become reliant on this medication also. There is a reason that these MD's that perscribe it are HEAVILY regulated by the DEA and state...some pt must stay on this drug for the rest of their lives...
I'm going to a detox today for vicodin20-30 pills a day i'm sooooooo scared how long will it take??What will I go throught?Will it be better in a detox place?
I have a rare kidney disease and have been taking vics 7.5/750 on and off for about 5 years, I was only taking them on a as needed basis about 5-6 a week but now over the last year I have been taking about 10 a day! I have chronic pain and Im not sure if it has gotten worse or if my body is withdrawling and causing me the pain because my body wants more???? Any advice?? I have been off them for 2 days because I realized that there was a problem but I feel like I want to literally crawl out of my skin,major anxiety,chills,upset stomach...is there anything I can do at home to relieve these horrible symptoms?? I have tried benadryl and tylonel pm and no relief,I actually think that it made it worse because it made me feel a bit lazy but that crawling out of my skin was still there. The day time seems to be more tolerable because I try to keep myself moving but what do I do at night? Does anyone know when the physical withdrawls will go away??? thank you
For opiate withdrawal there are lots of options and they probably work to varying degrees.
One is treatment with Ibogaine.  It's a drug made from the Iboga plant and though it's not available
for treatment in the US, there are clinics in Mexico, Europe and I believe Canada now also.  There
have been a few limited trials in the US I think but know nothing of these.  Basically it's a strong psychedelic
or hallucinogen.  It's given in a hospital setting if it's a reputable place for treatment with the medication.
Watch out for 3rd world or even Europeans treatments involving putting you in a motel room, giving you the drug and
watching you.  You need medical care to go through this, like I said in a clinic or hospital.  It takes about 2 or 3 days if I remember right as they evaluate you first and then watch you afterwards for a brief period also.  I think the experience itself lasts less than 24 hours and is good at bringing about change in thought patterns due to psychological insights gained through the experience.  At least this seems to be true with some who undergo the treatment.   They are unsure of the way this drug works other than it possibly helps you 'reset' your brain chemistry in a manner that supposedly makes physical withdrawal simply not cause any symptoms.  Often people also report profound insight into what caused the addictive behavior to begin with and also many report a mental relief from any cravings that lasts up to six months in some allowing them to remain sober even after physical withdrawal isn't an issue and all apparent psychological effects have long worn off also.
Of course you should read more about it if you are considering it and much info is online.

A more conventional treatment for physical withdrawal symptom control involves using a medication
called Clonidine, a drug that does not cause dependence and is primarily used
for treating hypertension.  That is available here from any doctor.  I'd also suggest reading up on it if you are considering it.  It is often used in conjunction with an antihistamines or other mild drugs.  More info on this is in the link I provide below.

One other area of support for withdrawal include various nutrients and medications designed to return
the brain chemistry to normal after addiction..  Though I don' t know the veracity of the info on his site, one place I've found that seems to have lots of valuable free info is here http://www.dpeg.org/methadone_withdrawal.html
I'm sure there are plenty of similar sites worth viewing where you will get a much wider exposure to information than anyone could ever provide on a site such as this in a post.

From my research these are some of the best methods for stopping in a quick manner especially if used together in a proper manner with the exception of the Ibogaine treatment which is different than these other solutions I offer for consideration.  I'd imagine that it would be sufficient without other medications used though I'm not sure what clinics might actually have as a protocol for its usage.  I'd still suspect that even with that it would be important to continue nutritional support afterwards for maximum results, though I don't believe any use of medication is called for after leaving treatment at all.  For a while this treatment was only available in a medical setting on a ship floating in international waters for the most part due to govt.s reluctance to approve any hallucinogen for any medical usage.  Fortunately this is changing in many countries, just not the US at this point.
  I should point out that I've only once accidentally even experienced any opiate withdrawal and that was simply from forgetting to take a methadone dose one day.  I just felt like I feel on a bad day anyway, but I'm sure I wasn't into full blown withdrawal yet.  I use methadone to control the symptoms of crohns disease which can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, feeling weak and tired and also insomnia.  I've been using it for 6 years and it was a miracle drug for me when I found it.  I'd had an open fistula that wouldn't heal despite 2 surgeries and 15 years of time.  A fistula is a hole that eats it's way through your body from where ever it starts to where ever it ends up.
Mine started in my lower colon and came to the surface about 1/2 an inch from my anus which was where they had to operate on it.  Well due to having it bleed 6 to 8 times most days each time I had a bowel movement
and hurt like a fresh wound each time, with the pain subsiding some slowly but never going away truly I turned to
methadone on my own.  I had been told 15 years earlier by a pharmacist that they used to treat crohns with liquid
opium.  But no doctor would consider it because I'd be an addict.  Well I am addicted, but I'm also pain free for the most part and the wound that hadn't healed in 15 years healed in 6 months and hasn't bled a day since.
Still I don't like being addicted and am slowly lowering my dosage to see how bad my symptoms are without it.
That's why I've been looking into help with withdrawal though I've never experienced it for over a day as I've used methadone steadily since lying to get into the program years ago.  Good luck.

Kudos for you! I see that you posted a long time ago, so I don't know if this is still a problem for you or what...however, to those who are just reading this post or would like the info....
Melatonin is a natural hormone that regulates sleep patterns. You can buy this supplement (I usually get Melatonin 3mg) at any grocery or nutrition store (i.e. Walmart, GNC). Sleepytime tea (a blend of chamomile and valerian root) also has helped me, I get it at our grocery store here in FL (Publix). Valerian Root is also available everywhere, and is a surefire way to knock me out. Sometimes these supplements can make you feel groggy in the morning, but it is better to sleep and feel jetlagged in the morning than to not sleep at all, or nearly at all, and still feel that way the next day. It is much better for your health. Your physical and mental health is severely hindered without sleep.
Well I see everyone else is kinda just putting stuff up, so here I go, I love those dam opiates, they give me energy, I felt like a superwomen. However about four months ago, my retarded friends turned me on to needles, oxycotin and roxycotin. Well I  have finally said to my self, what happen? I am 25 years old, back in 2000 I was a head cheerleader, homecoming queen, had it all wtf happen? Drugs thats what. Well I want my life back, I have a son who really needs his mom back, well I went to a detox clinic, found out I was knocked up, well they wouldn't let me stay!! Hehe screw them I said, came home that day called up a doctor, got seen that day. I would put what I did I don't want to offend any one. Well the clinic told me I couldn't go back till I was recovered from my minor surgery. Well that was a friday, they called me and told me to come back on monday night at 6 pm, 3pm they call me and tell me there is no beds. WTF again, well its been a week, I have not used since last friday (needles) took some vic's over the weekend, any one who uses needles knows vic's don't do much, well all I can say is that besides being sooooooo tired, I am finally starting to feel like my self.  The first two days sucked, legs shake, goosebumps, wtf is up with the sneezing???? Now on day 7, when well I sleep again, I take tylenol PM I take sleep aids, I sleep for three hours and I am back up. Good luck to all of you, just remeber we were all happy once with out these, just try to remeber those times, I really am starting to feel allot better, I see myself again, well I am, starting too. You know what I did today and it seemed to help I put on music really loud and danced around my house, my neighbors must think I am crazy, however it just made me remeber what its like to be happy listening to music and feeling good. Good luck to all........................
This is an old post that keeps coming up every so often.  You will get answers to your own problems, and many more of them if you click on "New Post" at the top of the page  and make your very own thread.  And it sounds like you are doing things the right way!
I put that wrong.  You click on the green box that says post a question" at the top.
I have some great advice, go to a sauna, everyday, make yourself get up and go.  The drugs get out of your system fast this way through sweating.  Stay in the sauna as long as possible until you feel like you cannot breath.  It has worked wonders for me.  I am on day 3 of opiate withdrawal and couldnt even walk so I figured I wuld try it.  It wears you out but man I feel 110% better than I did this morning.  Oh and if you can't eat make a shake with bananas (potassium is important when you are withdrawling), ice cream, milk, ice cubes, and strawberry yogurt.  I couldnt eat and was starving almost to death until I got this idea.  I have been preparing for this withdrawal from opiates for a month and I have every method downpat.  My withdrawal should be WAY worse than it is but its bearable because I tapered and I prepared a lot.  Good luck man.
Nm this website is ****** outdated as ****
well. its hard to know where to start

i typed this huge posting but i wasnt signed up so it was lost...im pretty pissed...

i cant make it like it was so im gonna hit it in a nutshell

i was on dilaudid 8 mg for 2 years

oral, then insuflation, than intravenous injections

kicked cold turkey for 2 weeks, felt better, relapsed

taking methadone cuz i dont know what else to do

life without opioids doesnt make sense

i crushed my family

my fiancee thinks its "her" (lack of testosterone lack of sex drive)

and tonight i seek what i know cant be found because there is no remedies for withdrawing from painkillers.

tonight i am in withdrawal. u think lortab is hard to get off? faaackkk...try kicking methadone...or missing a couple doses cuz u missed ur appt and dr. isnt there all week...

tonight i feel what u felt unless u still feel it...my legs are kicking aching...my back hurts...my whole body has that "bedsore" feeling to it when uve stayed in bed too long

my urinary tract is active 24/7

i can acheive spontaneous orgasm if i try (when im in need of any other feeling than this)

and the night is cold cruel and restless

withdrawal = depleted endorphins (natural analgesic alkaloids)

id say do a bunch of spontaneous push ups if u can...u get a rush of opiate-like feelings

sprints..runs....anything to tell ur brain hey! im not taking the pills so start making those endorphins again!

be active...its impossible i know. lethargic...my fingers have a hard time right now

i just need someone...anyone...to sit here with me

so...i know this msg is abstract and prolly doesnt help an ounce...but truth is i prolly need more help than you....

Moms rock....moms are incredible....moms are wonderful. just kick it for the kid ok? and urself obviously....but u have an incentive.....i dont. i dont care to wake up in the morning....i dont have a professional career.....im a mechanic and i dont have work these days.....i fix airplanes and im a junkie....how did that happen? methadone. i lived normally the day after my first methadone dose. i applied to college and went etc...the mornings were only hard because i was so high on methadone...not a lack thereof....

everyone wonders how to beat the sickness...the pains and twitches....

nobody can. its chemistry. unless u have liquid human endorphins in sterile injectable form......and if u do fedex me some...one shot and ud be yourself again...

since theres no such thing...ur body needs to restore itself and all that takes is time

i hate to say it....but u cant beat the long restless nights...not for a while sweetheart.

ur legs will kick and ache as they please...and ur brain will not settle down the least to allow sleep...

take a few gravols...knock urself out

just keep a firm grip on urself

right now im gonna take a hot shower here in my basement at 3 am...my parents are upstairs wide-eyed talking. hunnie, whats the shower runnin for at this hour? whats billy doing? ah, go back to bed. its just billy in our basement, and he's in withdrawal...

thats just the way it is.

things change....i love all of you. that deep, common feeling shared type of love.

-
Hey Billy and All others trying to kick this ****** addiction -
I'm now doing what you did in May. Cold turkey from taking 100mg morphine p/day. Its absolute hell.  I tried a methedone clinic but it takes a week to see the doctor and so I find myself feeling like I got hit by a bus, electrocuted and the electricity is still hitting every nerve, joint and muscle in my body, food poisoning, stomach flu, cold sweats, vomitting, seizures.. it goes on and on. The worst part.. is already being an insomniac and now, the added sleeplessness and restlessness is torture for days on end until I finally pass out from exhaustion - which is something I welcome.. believe me.

Does anyone know how long this will take? How long will these withdrawls from morphine last? I'm on day 2.. that's it.  I'm hoping it ends soon..  

Does anyone know of anything to help the stomach cramps and constant trips to the bathroom?
I'm new to this, but feel very secure now that i've read everyone else's posts. Thank you soooo very much to everyone for being so honest. Both my husband and I are quitting cold turkey.We started out taking loritab about 3 years ago and have since then moved on to methadone. Since we have 3 young boys who need constant supervision, it was my turn yesterday and his turn to stop today. We both know that we'll be completely miserable for the next couple days or god forbid weeks. My personal mindset is that I need to put my 3 kids first. How dare I be so damn selfish? We spent money on ourselves for something stupid rather than a family activity! Our children did not ask for this!! They deserve good,sober,straight parents with a clear head on their shoulders. One day at a time! It's almost the end of my 2nd day and I can begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel!  One day at a time, one hour at a time. I can't really give any advice other than  do what works for you. All I can say is that I am (for once) very proud of my strength. I am determined to give my kids a better life. If I keep them in my mind first, then I have no other choice but to succeed. Good luck to you all. We started this horrible addiction all on our own and now I think we can all put it all to an end on our own. Thanks again.
I am addicted to opiates.  I take several percocet, vicodens, oxy's, just whatever I can get on a daily basis.  I have been taking these for about 8 years.  I spend my last dollar on these pills.  It's like I would rather buy a pill than a new outfit, or food for that matter.  Its getting to the point that I cannot afford this lifestyle anymore.  I am going to try to quit cold turkey and I am scared to death.  The longest I have went in the past without an opiate in my system is 3 days, and it was 3 days of absolute ****!  I cannot hardly stand the muscle jumps in my legs, or the nausea, or the fever and chills- body aches and pains.  I have been looking for information on the internet to make the withdraw process easier and havent really found any useful information.  If anyone has any suggestions please email me at k_ohiogrl33***@****.  I am starting this detox tomorrow and I am scared to death!
You'll find plenty of support here! First off, I would type under your own post. You posted on a old thread. At the top of the page click on "post a question". Doing this will provide a post that is dedicated to you. It will also give you something to look back on if you ever get the urge to use again.
It's been ten years since I started opiate abuse. I only realized I was an addict like 1 year ago. I steal,rob,hurt and leave whoever gets in the way. I first started doing drugs with my mom. Weed,coke,pills etc. Never shot anything up..but that doesn't make me any better. In fact I'm worse...I watched my mother kill herself. And as soon as she died three years ago..my drug game stepped up notch. More soma,lt,OC,zanez,valuim, syrup the most could handle. This month I've take 300 loraz, 400 soma, 100 zanex, 2 ounces of weed, 100 or more perks, and some others. I quit cold turkey( this month an tapered myself off. Not to quit but to manage my abuse. And here's what I did.
1.20 loratab split in half, even if u took 12 the day before take a half a pill every 7 hours. U will be able to cut yourself from 2 halfs to one. Get your lover to help.
2. Gym w/ a sauna the sauna will cut the withdrawls in half. And excercise will help with your cravings.
3. Stop talkin to everyone you know. Me I'm in the music scene..and we all do drugs.
4. Weed. It helps with eating.
5. Liquid aloe & Malox for the u know what's.
6. Don't be a ***** if your serious about quiting you'll tell your docter, normally the won't make you withdrawl (withdrawal) on your own.
7. Zanex it will kill your stress( they say quiting opiates gives you the feeling you just lost someone close to you.) That anxiety noone should ever have to deal with.
8. Real family, not your step dad, I'm talkin Mom close to your heart people.
9. Get active chances are you sit on the couch and been nodding for the last year. Its so beautiful out here. Outside is the way.
10. This is number one for me, but others sometimes don't see faith as a stepping stone. Believe and god will help you.
11. Group therepy ..people who share your addiction can help and I heard support systems are great.
12. Find yourself.
My 12 step.
I can help you.
***@****

While I'm not better...I will get there.
Hi everyone.. my name is Gerard, I'm on day 8- I tapered from 180oxycontin plus 180 oxycodone combined for about 3 years and then another 3 just on the oxycodone from a previous taper off the oxycontin's.. still I've been on these thing for a long time.. doctors said I was disabled I know I had a bad back.. I took the medicines.. I'm responsible.. nonetheless we all know you really can't have a 'life' on opiates.. some will say different but I'm talking about a 'natural life' such as the one I'm sure everyone here is aiming for. My guess is that we all remember that life and in comparison we all want it back. Congrats to everyone doing this and those who've done this. This is a Miracle to do b/c so many things want to make you resist but when the decision is made.. the fight is on, it will be done people.. and I am off! I took an opiate test and got a 'negative' can u imagine how that felt after 8 years (early years were percs b4 the oxy's) of having this monkey on my back? have to wake every night to take a pill to sleep another 3 hours? have to keep popping pills all day, everyday, can't take a normal bowel movement.. it's a Hell and a  Prison- not worth 1 day, much less 8 years. God forgive me.

Just wanted to add that I too have had a similar experience to one of the posters here.. I was off 6 days then had 2 amazing days.. then suddenly I had the leggies and arm electricity thing and I was saying to myself what the heck I thought I was over this? No, not so. I've come to see this in this manner maybe this will make some sense to others it does to me.

First of all let me say that I tapered all the way down to 5mg's I don't know how anyone can do c/t honestly I just can't fathom the notion.. maybe some people who are not on opiates for too long a time can do it but I tried and oh ****.. I knew in a short time that I had to taper. But Kudos to you if you did c/t no matter what you are a friggin TROOPER!!! I couldn't get past the 5mg's at night to sleep so I googled around and found that benzo's are good to get off the final bit of opiate.. so I asked my doc for Klonopin b/c it is apparently lighter drug than xanax and/or other benzos. I was not looking to swap drugs just to use a bad drug to get off a terrible drug. If that makes sense. The benzo got me clean off the opiates in 1 night.. took the benzos only at night.05mg, mostly 3/4 of that pill only. btw not condoning the use of a benzo.. I saw my doctor first so pls do that too.

My theory. When I was tapering down my opiates I noticed something that is somewhat akin to a natural phenomenon.. if you go down to your local beach or just think of a beach picture the waves coming in.. a wave, a pause, another wave.. I have parallelled this natural occurence to the undoing of a chemical addiction in the body/brain. I even noticed that while tapering my pain and discomfort came in waves.. Now I'm noticing that being completely off the opiates I was good for 2 days no withdrawals.. as if now another section of my brain is beginning it's cycle of waves? Also the sneezing is a dead giveaway for me that the brain is flushing something out? Chemical addiction stuff.. YEAH BABY!! GET OUT!!

The body is a miraculous machine, remember that everyone and I'll end by saying this.. I BELIEVE IN TWO THINGS AFTER MY EXPERIENCE WITH AN OPIATE.. 1 IS THAT I BELIEVE IN AN 'ADDICTION' BUT NOW I ALSO KNOW THAT I BELIEVE IN A 'SUBBICTION' YES I JUST MADE THAT WORD UP.. IT'S ADDING AND SUBTRACTING.. THE PRINCIPLES OF REDUCTION WORK EVERYTIME PEOPLE.. IT IS NOT JUST POSSIBLE BUT IT IS GAURANTEED. BE CAREFUL, DO IT SLOWLY BUT DO IT.. REDUCE, REDUCE.. THEN IT DIES.

GERARD
Hi Gerard again.. (does anyone read this?). Just want to say.. that I'm still going strong.. off all opiates still.. I am trying now to get off the benzos.. and switching over to non-benzo 'Sonata' for the sleep.. it's been several weeks now off opiates but I gotta tell you there are residual withdrawals still.. ie., I'm still sneezing and blowing my nose.. I still get the stomach cramps especially at night.. the klonopin took that right away but I'm sure the Klonopin was doing other things not good too at the same time.. after all klonopin is addictive too. anyway the Sonata works @ 10mg/night- keeps me sleeping which is important to do this.. if not sleeping it's seems impossible to me. no sleep almost demands drugs to get through the next day. Anyway I'm hoping everyone is doing well and for those who aren't I'm praying for you.. I'm sure we are all praying for eachother here. God's Blessings, Mercy and Love to all with this trial.

You can all do it! I hate to quote a corporate cliche' but "just do it".
You posted on an older thread and that is why it was overlooked. You should start a thread of your own and you will get responses. At the top of the page click on "ask a question" and copy and paste your posts above. Doing this will also dedicate a post just for you.
Congrats on your clean time! Great job on tapering as most don't have the willpower. Many say tapering is tougher if not impossible. I've done both and agree that tapering does make it much more bearable. There was a time where I couldn't taper as I just kept wanting that last little buzz. Not much fun but made it.
Just keep going strong and never look back.
Best of luck to you.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the encouraging words.. so good to hear. Thanks for advice also on how to post my own thread.. makes a lot of sense. Yeah tapering wasn't and still this whole ridding process is not easy either. It's hard to go into these things but I did have a spiritual experience that made doing this absolutely necessary. I did this purposely, definitely and persistently, reducing all the time and then having to switch from oxycodone to klonopin to end the opiate intake. Now switching to Sonata.. second night on Sonata going ok..

This stuff isn't easy to describe or explain and I don't think it's supposed to be.. it's about decisions, choices.. they will define us in the end I suppose. So let's everyone do this okay. God's help to everyone.. Mary Mother of God Too!
Hello,  I am going on 30 hours without any opiate use.  I was taking up to 15-20 norco's per day for the past 3 years and before that 15-20 vicoddin ES 750's for 7 years prior.  I am sick and tired of having my life revolve around when it is time to take the next dose.  I have no social life and have developed a fear of going out with other couples.  I have 2 bulging discs in my upper vertabrae that caused intense and crippling migraines.  I finally had this fixed over a year ago and now want my life back. I own my own small business and none of my family and friends know.  I am kind of in the same situation as the female attorney and mother is in.  I am in extreme pain and discomfort and going to the latrine every 20 minutes.   Please help!! I need to make it..... Thank you!
what have you heard about methadone? I know it does eventually get into your bones and I don't need that but I have been taking methadone for five years, the only reason I started taking them was I couldn't keep my pain level down and as a result was vomiting all the time from the pain. I have read everything possible about methadone and I haven't read anyting any worse than other pain meds!  Can you enlighten me on anything you have read that I may have not read! Thanks Melissa
Today is day two for me.  I have tried to quit numerous times and.. have failed, obviously.  Honestly, I don't see myself ever quitting. Not as bad as some of these stories, hoewever the opium nod at a family dinner did it in for me... I was embarrased, hadn't even known I had done it... completely fell asleep for a minute or two during one of my father's stories... and he noticed.  Everyone noticed. They just didn't put two and two together. I'm really tired was enough for them to believe  Lucky for me my parents are pretty nieve.  Anyway, this is my third time quiting.  Obviously the chills, sweats, and lack of sleeping are the worst... My roommate was scared the cops were going to be called I was screaming so much.  As bad as it sounds, Somas, sleeping aids, and good old pot have helped me the most.  I'd like to think the hard part is over, but I'm scared for the future.  Part of me thinks I will never quit. Everyone in my life knows about my addiction now and will be very angry if I begin again. Going from taking 10 to 15 loratabs a day (10mg) is going to be difficult to taking none at all.  To be perfectly honest, being sober all the time sounds so boring... except I really can't feel the tabs anymore anyway.. which leads me to think that I will just get into more extreme drugs.  God I don't think I'm strong enough.  And by the way, I had no idea that sneezing was a sign of withdrawls.  I have been sneezing like crazy!  Hopefully this site will help.  I have too much to lose if this continues.
Hi welcome to the forum

this is an old threat ... can you copy and paste your post and start a new thread so that the members can get to know you and your post don't get overlooked ? :)

meanwhile, you could read the amino acid protol on the health pages ( right side of the screent ) there are some natural remedies and some aminos that can help you ...
buy some magnessium+calcium supplements and hylands restful legs for the restless legs syndrome... immodium for the runs and some natural sleep help ( much better than pot and non habit forming ) like melatonin.. valerian root can help you with the anxiety too and for sleep...
cuttin to it.
been IN LOVE" w/ opiotes for 7 years... kicked and relapsed dozens of times.  i never learned my lesson.  anyway, i know what im talking about.

- all these doctors are telling people about suboxin(opiote blockers)
its a scam,

it does work, (temperarily) you still have to kick those when you have ran outta money to pay for them.  my friend paid close to 300 bucks for a month... and the doc told him to take 4 a day... whats crazy is even the biggest addict can get by w/ one pill a day, most only need a qtr.
and for some it makes them sicker!

SOO.. anyway i never had the money to do anything like that.  always kicked by myself.   I live in socal,  so i would go down to tj and buy TRAMADOL, u can get them from your doc too.  probably 15 bucks.  its over the counter down there.  Its $35 for 100.  i would take 2 pills that would last half the day.  it almost took all the withdrawls away. example: i worked construction on just 2-3 tramadol.  w/out i couldnt get out of bed.  

it works for sleep too.  stay away from those sleeping pills,  

and while your taking the tramadol, if u can do the whole herbal kidney flush process, use hot tubs for muscle aches, maybe some wine... and excercise w/ plenty of water, bannanas aswell for muscle aches, and entertainment, nothing worse than an idle mind...

hang in there, it is possible
does this forum still work
just looking for a good forum does anyone use this anymore? seems like its a good thing... ima quit with the pain killers... im 31 years old and have been taking them for at least 6 years.... please hit me up guys.. thanx yall
yes
I AM COMING OFF OF OPANA ER OC OP OXY 15S AND OXY 30S. IVE BEEN HOOKED 3 MONTHS. I CANT BELIEVE HOW FAST THEY TOOK ME DOWN. I CANT WEIGH BUT 93 POUNDS. ANYWAYS, LIFE ***** ON THESE PILLS. IVE BEEN THROUGH WITHDRAWL (withdrawal) CT MORE THAN ONCE, ITS NOT FUN BUT ITS NOT UNBEARABLE EITHER. WHY WOULD SOMEONE USE METHADONE? ONCE YOU COME OFF THOSE YOULL STILL SUFFER AND BECAUSE OF THE HALF LIFE, IT LASTS A LOT LONGER. SAME WITH SUBUTEX, ALTHOUGH NOT AS LONG AS METHADONE.  EVERY EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN THE SAME. I BEGIN TO FEEL WD APPROX. 24 HOURS AFTER LAST DOSE SO DAY 1 IS BEARABLE, DAY TWO IS WORSE AND DAY 3 IS PURE HELL. AFTER 72 HOURS ITS ALL UP HILL FROM THERE BUT IT IS HARD TO SLEEP. AS AN RN I IMAGINE ABOUT 2 WEEKS BEFORE NORMAL SLEEP HABITS RETURN. IS 4 DAYS OF A REALLY BAD FLU REALLY WORTH A LIFETIME OF BEING IN A FOG? CONSIDER GETTING A BENZO OF ANY KIND FOR SLEEP. KLONOPIN, ATIVAN, VALIUN, XANAX ETC.  YOU WONT DEVELOP AN ADDICTION TO ANY OF THOSE IF UED FOR A HORT PERIOD OF TIME, BUT DO EXPECT TO BE EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE FOR ABOUT 72 HOURS.
For anyone trying to come clean off Oxys or anything stronger please take a look. Me and a friend tried to come off 20 percocet 10mg a day and 6 40mg oxycotin a day. The best way to come down is to talk to ur doctor. Any doctor is willing to take u off them if ur willing to. They will give u everything to help with the withdrawals and to help with all of the symptoms as well. For those who are trying to do it cold turkey more power to u and good luck. I understand what it's like to go through this and how ur always afraid to run out because of the withdrawals. But if ur seriously ready to quit just talk to your doctor and they are more than willing to help. They are really no way to stop the withdrawals from happening. From what I learned in rehab was that ur physical withdrawals only last for about 7-10 day. After that ur body will start making it's natural pain killers again and u should start to be pain free. The doctor said that the hardest part of actually staying clean is dealing with the mental withdrawals which can last anywhere from 3-9 months depending how much and how long u have been using for. So if u have been clean for 3-4 days keep it up the physical withdrawals are almost over. But drunk plenty of water and try to be active. The more u do the faster you help your body flush the toxins out. If u a gym to go to that is the best. Go sit in the sauna to help with the cold chills and joint pains. If mind starts to wander go for a walk and try to have company so ur not watching every seconds of the day. Don't try to eat big meals because if ur sick to ur stomach u will probably just pike it back up. So take little bites here and there throughout the day to get some nutrients in ur body. For any other symptoms they have over the counter drugs such as imodium (immodium) for diarrhea and cold meds for the sniffles and sneezing. Hang in there for everyone trying to be clean. It's a tough road but you'll have a new life at the other end of it.
Here's my story...I started on Lortab 10 back 7 years ago, and have now graduated to roxicodone 30...5-7 of them a day. I decided I wanted to see who I was without the meds....so here I am 36 hours without a pill...and to be honest expected alot worse.  I have sneezed about 6 times...no diarhea (diarrhea) like everyone says...or not yet, I do have some stomach cramping this morning. And I am a little anxious this morning....but that is about it.
start your own thread this one is kinda old.  You will get the help and support you need that way without being missed.  Click on the orange button at the top (post a question) cut and paste your info.  Good luck.
I am a 40 yr old female who began self medicating myself here about 6 years ago for arthritis and fibromyalgia pain.  The doctors never seemed to want to help me with my pain management issues, so i eventually turned to the streets buying up as many vicodens, tramadols, percocets, just whatever i could find.  When my body became tolerant to that, I went up one step further- heroin.  I have been shooting heroin for two years.  In february, I had open heart surgery caused from my aortic valve being destroyed by toxins from an abcessed tooth.  I am told if I dont get off of all drugs, that next time, they may not operate.  I raised my kids myself, have always worked, and am now at a loss at how I am going to manage my pain, which by the way is worse when I have nothing because of the nerve ending damage caused by the drugs....The withdrawals are terrible, to the point sometimes that being dead seems like a better option....just saying.  I do know that suboxone works well, and also tramadol for stepping down, but with no insurance, and doctors who dont want to prescribe me anything, It is hard to even get these sometimes on the street to help myself.  Never thought in a million years at 40 years old that here I would be, and that my toughest challenge in life, with all that I have been through, would be getting myself off of opiates.  Any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate, and thanks.  I know this is hard for all of us facing this challange.
Congrats---wish me luck---day 4
Please advise me if anyone has taken zanaflex to help sleep during w/d
I took a couple my son gave me for muscle pain but I have a lot of side effects with them----dry mouth//weakness/fatigue/but I do get just a little drowsy...and not for long at all---I have been awake 3 nites now---any advice???
Ditto:  Go back to the forum page and click on "post a question" on the upper left. You'll get more responses that way...
please respond
I am on my 21st day post detox....42 years prescription opiates. Zanaflex worked great for me while I was on Fentanyl and Oxy, but has not helped with night spasm and sleep issues...still getting only  2 hours a night and that is not restful sleep. The only thing that has helped me through the long frustrating nights has been cranking up the music I enjoy and using headphones. If loud enough the sound seems to keep my brain preoccupied and the spasms stop.At first it helped to tap the rythum with my hands against my thighs seems to activate a different brain center As soon as I turn down the volume all 4 limbs resume twitching. This hasn't helped with sleep issues but has gotten me trough some very dark hours. I am using Zanaflex and Flexeril during the day for stiffness and pain. My  only issue with these is feeling very weak when on max dose. I also have been soaking in a hot bath a few times per night. Hang in there , we have to keep the faith that this will soon pass. Peace and Merry Christmas
I went from taking 2 vics to 6 vics before I knew it I was swallowing 10 perc10/325 at a time 4 times daily. That was street- I went to get on suboxone and tried it for a few weeks before convincing my pain doc I need something more. Then the journey began from perc10 to morph to 100mg fetanyl- back to perc10 (20-30)daily (some street) to OxyContin80 t.i.d. Along with 30mg oxycodone for bt. After a two year journey on these devil drugs, 2/6/2012 I quit cold turkey. If you have a good doc and must really want to feel the warm breeze, and smell fresh cut grass, make snow angels and feel the cold.  Their are some great things that help. Clonidine, benzos, some really good stuff for your belly. Just prepare yourself while going though this that you will laugh so hard you cry, cry so hard you scream, your emotions are all out of whack so prepare youre self. But it feels good to feel something again. I'm still not sleeping right. My legs are crawling. But this to shall pass. FYI marijuana is a huge help. Wishing us the best.
I love what you posted - I've found myself crying over songs on radio, commercials then laughing.  This past 11 days has been so fraught with emotion overload and I know my brain is trying to recalibrate so that feels good.   I've experienced more "feeling" pain, sadness, laughter in the last week - it''s good.  
I hope this helps, I am on day 11 of cold turkey from 180mg of perscribed morphine a day for a back problem, I also had a REALLY hard time sleeping & I got all kinds of different advice, I tried it all but the thing that worked for me was I soak in a hott tub every night then I have a vibrating massager that i set on the bed next to me & turn it on low, it doesn't have to touch me, just the vibration of it soothes me to sleep, i'm not gonna say i sleep thru the nite cause I wake several times but i turn that thing back on & i'm rite back to sleep, it has helped so much with my sleep. still @ day 11 i'm struggling with everything but it makes it so much more bearable if u can get some rest...
Hello day four of withdawals . I was taking up to 6 10/325 hydros a day for over two years. First three days were pure hell. Nausea,pain,anxiety,sleeping was extremely hard. Day 4 is a bit easier. I found benadryl OTC is great. It helps a lot. Now knowing the pure hell of this I will not return to pills again. See your doctor, they can help. I hope day five is easier. Most doctor's say the worst is 5-7 day's. I am sure it is different for everyone. Keep your head up. I wish all of you the best. Withdrawal is hell but their is light at the end of the tunnel. Life is better without pills. God bless
I am detoxing off oxys15mg and at least 8 lortab10/500 per day i am on day 3 eating 3 times a day no stomach problems sleeping well THE TRICK IS GAPETIN any doctor will give it to you.Google it i take 600mg 3 times a day i was dumb founded to have no withdrawl (withdrawal) from a year off every day use i am only going to take it 6 days total and then im on my own.i hope to never take pills again.i will post back later with my progress....best wishes to all there is a light at the end of the tunnel
Natalie,
             How did you do?    Ron.
I'm on day 25 off of oxys and roxys for 5 years than decided to get my life back for me and my daughter and decided cold turkey is my only way out so i literally had 2 suboxine to help with withdrawls, I'm a mother of a 5 year old daughter and it's a struggle every day! For me my worst of the withdrawls for me were week 3 I don't know why this happened. The first week it was the crawling feeling, restless leg, not sleeping good (took xanas at night and few quarters throughout the day) So I started to take Kratom pills, some people believe in it but didnt help for me, But for some reason the worst for me was this past week, the diarreah (diarrhea) was uncontrollable, couldnt hold anything down so then heard about imodium (immodium) D and then seems to help, I took 2 than 1 after every loose bowel.  I think the reason I was so bad week 3 is BC I was not eating or drinking enough fluids and got really dehydrated, literally thought I was going to the end up in the hospital so had my husband brought me a lot pedialyte, even tho i did not want to drink it i had to make myself. the only thing i could attempt to eat was crackers and bananas . This was on Monday day 20. So I recommend anyone please keep hydrated I had no energy to eat the first 3 weeks and it was god awful! Never experienced anything this bad before but someone had told me to think back at what I took for the last 5 years do you really think it will go away in 7 days, that actually made some sense to me. So I'm fighting thru every day! The depression is still here and the ability to learn to live life sober is so hard it's like starting all over again.  But I'm noticing music helps and do anything to give you the chills or excitement. I just want to be back to my old self and natural energy!! Please email me at ***@**** if you have any questions need encouragement or anything that can help me in my situation please!
Thanks! Stay strong I no it's worth the battle!
Thanks to insurance, was forced to fentanyl 25mcg from my Butrans patch. After 48 hours into my 3rd patch, I couldn't take the uneasiness that the patch made me feel so I took it off. Called my pain management doc the next morning and see him this coming Mon. I'm experiencing all the typical withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms, antsy, not holding much down, etc. I take percocet every other day but have since given it to my hubby to lock up b/c I find myself reaching for it even when I don't need it just to make these withdrawls feel better.  How long does this last?