Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Oxycodone W/D

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Oxycodone W/D

What is the best way to quit and detox from oxycodone. I have been taking them almost daily for the past couple years and take about 25-50mg per day. How bad of w/d can I expect with this dosage and how long roughly? It seems the hardest part for me is tricking the mind that I can get thru the w/d's and not give in on the first day. Any ideas?
Some people taper to a lower dose. There are people on here that had success with that method. I don't have that sort of self control.
I got clean after 6 years of hydro and about 1 year of oxy during run out time. So my wds were scary to face. BUT they weren't anywhere near what I had thought they would be.
Wds for me were the hardest the first 4 days. But then again I used after 2 weeks, which put me back into wds for the last time. (i pray_) The chill lasted about 4-5 days. I used a microwavable disc that I put in my shirt to stay warmer. Took hot baths. Exercised by walking by dogs (who kept me going)  I drank lots of water and antioxidant tea (helps to flush the system faster) After the chills were over the body ache lasted about 2 weeks. Then my thinking..... I had to force myself to think of positive things. I can be sucked back into using by spending lots of time think about....how I miss the energy the killers gave me or how other people are to blame blah blah blah. I still can get into stinking for hours and it gives me a sick feeling. So its an ongoing process.
It is hard to quit...but do-able! We are here to help you...this forum is great. If you will look to the right of the screen you will see Health Pages and there is a Thomas Recipe and Amino Acid Protocol...check those our for sure...also the Methadone and Opiate Detox is great. They all give you tips on things that help...but nothing is going to make it easy. Remember that it took you awhile to get hooked and your body will take awhile to start healing.

I personally did a taper...which is hard and takes willpower and I only did it b/c I was taking care of a toddler. From what I've read it takes about 5-7 days of flu like symptoms when you go cold turkey and it's like the flu x1000. If you need to or can just tell everyone you have the flu and go to bed.

Keep posting and reading here...you can do this!

JoAnn
Hi Ltntdan ---- Joann told you what you need  to do and what to expect.  I just want to add one thing ---  Trying to get clean without help is often a recipe for relapse.  If you are really serious about quiting, you would be helped enormously if you shared your addiction problem with someone close to you --- the best thing I did was to tell my doctor who wrote the Rx's for my dope.   When you slam the door behind you, it shows you are really committed to quitting.  To leave open the door to the drugs just invites disaster.   This a tough but (as joann said) very doable ----  You are going to feel so much better when you are finally clean and look back on what you did.  Other's will notice the change in your too -- an added benefit.  All the best, my friend.
I've been thru this about 4 times in 6 years. The first time was after some very hard drugs and everything else in the book and it was 1 week of feeling bad and then another week of body ache.  At that time I was taking 5 percs a day along with whatever else came along.

This last go round on this time is a lortab 7.5 addiction.    I think this is my last trip thru this.  I have been honest with the docs.  signed papers with a rehab monitoring program and I know for sure I can't use anything now for 3 years and hope I won't ever use anything ever again.  It's scary because I am worried about any future dental, surgery issues that might come up and  hit me out of the blue.  Knowing I am this way I hope I will have been thru enough hell with these things that I won't ever abuse them again.  It's scary.  It's a mind battle.

I get thru it hour by hour because the drugs made me so happy.  I would get out of bed and rejoice I had a pill.  It seemed to make my bones just feel good.  And then I would take a dose in the evening and relax ....... it really was what drove me.  It made me less depressed and gave me energy.

I know have to find something in the world that will replace that feeling and that is the mental game.  I know my endorphins are a mess and  it takes time to get the pleasure reward centers in the brain happy again.  Walking is helping.  But I am in the place now that I need to find interest in life.  This is the hard part of drug addiction.  Even past craving.  I see people being happy everywhere and I don't think they are all using to feel good and I remember the times in my life never using and being happy having purpose.  So I think I just have to give this some time.   It is hard.

The best to you and good luck.
Hi! Dont let anybody fool you about dexox, it's not easy. And going C..T is not good for your body in any way!  If you really want to get this off your back the best and safe way is to enter a detox center for about 5 days and come out clean . If you do not have insurance, go through the emergency room they have to take you. It's the law. People come in off the street all the time. I was on serious pain meds for cancer and got hooked real bad. I 'am now clean and not a victim of evil pain meds any more. Good Luck! and MAY GOD BLESS YO IN JESUS NAMEA-MEN!!!
BeachComber4You
My addiction was a lot worst and I did it cold turkey, it's not for sissy but I figured if I did it that way it would stay in my mind NEVER to want to go back to it again...everyone is different...I didn't die, felt like I would but God carried me through, He gets the Glory I got the clean body anf for that I'm truly thankful Thank You Jesus :)
God Bless and may He meet you at your many needs in Christ Jesus :)