Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Oxycodone dependency

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Oxycodone dependency

I'm 83 years old, female, andhave for the largest part of my life lived with addiction to alcohol and tobacco, but am now off of both with family intervention.  Two months ago I had hip replacement surgery with oxycodone prescribed for pain after surgery, and now I can't sleep and have severe muscle spasms if I don't have oxycodone around the clock.  I'm going for surgical followup in a few days but need to know how to get off this drug without going crazy.  Is there something I can take to alleviate withdrawal symptoms?
Tags: Oxycodone
well, r u taking it as your doc prescribed it? if so, u may just need it. hip replacement is a long recovery. please dont take this the wrong way but with your advanced age, u may just have terrible arthritis all over. please dont stop it all at once. talk to your doc if u need help getting off of it. withdrawal is EXTREMELY Hard on thw body and would b best if u taper off under your docs supervision. good luck.
So sorry about your predicament but, are you still in pain?  Do you have a new plan to control the pain?  What does you Dr. suggest?
This is not the time to worry about withdrawal and quitting drugs. Inform your doctor about your addiction history, keep a good journal of pain level and when and how much pain killer you are taking and show that to your doctor. Your hip surgery is a big procedure with a strenuous rehab post operative and you will need your energy for that.
I don't mean to sound cruel but at 83 years YOUNG.. You don't have time to be worried about being in PAIN.. A hip replacement is brutal... and I think you DESERVE to be PAIN FREE...

I HOPE I live to be 83...