Oxycontin Withdrawal
My wife is at the point where she is getting off Oxycontin soon. She is taking 120mg/day to contol her back pain and her back will be repaired shortly.
My question, is it better to reduce the dosage quickly (say over 6 days) and endure the sterss of all the withdrawal symptoms and be back to normal sooner or to do a slow letdown and minimize the withdrawal symptoms? Also any estimates of how long the slow method could take?

Thank you
Thanks for your comments!!  I am trying to taper.  I will definitely let you know how it goes.  By the way, do you take this stuff, or have you been able to stop?
hi .. yes, i do  take suboxone and for me it was the best decision i ever made. the first day on them after going thru one day of w/d's, i felt the best i had felt in years .. you can be on it by doing a rapid detox, which is 10-14 days mabe and be tapered down w/minimal w/drawals .. i've been on it for a little while now but that is my choice that i've talked w/my dr ,,, everyone is different on how long they need to be on it for ... i hear short term is the best way .. i k now you probably don't want to trade one drug for another, but it really does help .. there are quite a few out here who take it also
Thank you guys sooo much for trying to help me.  This trying to stop thing has been a very difficult decision for me.  I did take your advice and told my husband everything and as you suspected, he was really understanding, and wants me off these nasty little beasts too.  I have heard of the suboxone, and will do some research on it when I am done here.  Maybe you could tell me a little more about it.  Is it a narcotic as well?  Is it also addictive?  Hilary, you said after one day of withdrawl you began taking it and felt better than ever.  Why?  what did you feel like?  The percocet gives me a ton of energy, does the suboxone help with that? because when I don't take the percocet I feel like I have no energy? and with 3 children, a full time job in outside sales, baseball, taxiing kids at least 5 days per week, I need energy!!  A lot of questions I know, I'm sorry~  Mainly, the addictive and narcotic questions are what I NEED to know.

Cudos to you guys for everything that you have been able to overcome.  I hope one day I will be off these things and able to help some poor lost hopeless soul like me.
Seriously... Thank you.  I found this site yesterday, and because of it, I feel stronger about stopping than ever before. I have only taken 50mg today, instead of 80.  I know its not that big of a difference, but it feels like it to me.
About Sub, yes its an opiate. its a partial agonist opiate which means it fills the opiate receptors but does not produce a euphoria or high like full agonists like oxy vicodin or heroin. by doing this it stops most withdrawal symptoms but it has a ceiling effect so that if you take more of it it will not get you any different of a feeling, however higher doses produce more dependency, so you should only take what you really need to in order to stay out of withdrawals and to taper off the sub.  i did tons of research on sub and read patients experiences and the running theme is "less is more" that means the lowest dose possible and the shortest time possible on it will produce the best results and less chance of having withdrawal from the Sub as well.. myself and a few others here did a taper with Sub in less than 2- 3 weeks. I have now been clean for almost 4 months now. And the others are all still clean as well. If you do a search for Sub on this site I have posted tons of info including what your doctor won't tell you.
great job on cutting down it does make a big difference.. if you need anything please don't hesitate
Thank you for the info, I will definitely search what you have posted.  I really do appreciate you responding to me.  It truly helps.  Congratulations on your 4 months.  I can't wait until I can say that too.  If you stop taking the sub without tapering, are the symptoms the same as with oxy??  If I were to let my perscription run out and try to do this "cold turkery" how bad will it be? or do you think thats a really bad idea?  Do you have to taper off of the oxy before you use the sub, or do you just trade one for the other?
This is my first time writing... I am actually typing through tears as I finally came to the realization that I am totally addicted to oxycontin.  I thought I was hit with a terrible flu for the last ten days.  The weird thing was, the only real symptoms I had were terrible night sweats and chills- about 20 times a night and no energy.  This is the first time in my career that I have taken more than one day off work at a time.  In total this week, I've only worked 2 days.  I went to my Doctor and had her do blood work looking for a virus, etc.  The lab phoned me that night to say there were no abnormalities in my blood.  The next day I went to a Chinese doctor for acupuncture and herbs.  That night the severe diarehea set in.  The only reason I made it to work yesterday is because my supplier is a client of mine, lives out of town and only comes to where I live about every ten days.  I started using percocet for chronic migraines when I was a teenager.  So when oxycontin was introduced to me this summer, I thought it was fabulous.  I loved the high it gave me.  My most abuseful day has been 4 80mg/day for five days.  When I think of all the money I have spent in so little time, I am ashamed.  I initially told myself I was treating myself to something that gave me immediate satisfaction.  Well, I got home from work last night and thought I'd take a pill because I felt so bad with the flu and deserved a break.  All my symptoms vanished.  That's when I knew.  How could I be so stupid?  Now I am terrified and need some support because I can't miss any more work and can't let myself go through such severe withdrawl again.  I am determined to never buy this drug again, but I am scared to death of the horrible withdrawl that I just endured.  Everyone who loves me is so concerned and willing to help with my "flu" so now I'm racked with guilt also.  There is a methadone clinic near my home but they aren't open until Monday and I am so grateful to be able to write to you.  My dirty secret is killing me and making me crazy.  I am dying to tell my Mom, or my family doctor, but I don't dare.
Do you think that if I gradually leasen the dose I can make the withdrawl less severe?  Do you know if methadone helps withdrawl?    I am really scared, ashamed, and hating myself right now.  I am desperate for a bit of support from anyone, please.  I just need to know that I can get through this and that if I don't quit cold turkey [ 2 80mg/day to nothing] but more gradually I won't get so sick.  Could you please, please be so kind to advise me?  I am so alone in this.  I just CANNOT go to anyone I know to talk to as I am so ashamed and scared.
Thank-you so much.
Believe me when I say you are NOT alone. Many people with in this forum can and do understand and sympathize. My recommendation to you is to start a new thread title to let people know that you are here and that you need help and support. The one you posted in began in 2000 and many might not read it because of this. My heart goes out to you and I also want to mention that I have read in many places here that methadone is not the answer. There are better drugs on the market today that do not cause such a dependence and cn be taken for shorter periods of time. Have you gone through and read some of the other posts on the previous page? I think you will find alot of answers and support. I know I have. You can also click on anyone name that is in blue and send then a direct message. I hope this helps!
Thank-you so much for your response.  It means so much to me to have someone to talk to as I mentioned that I am feeling terrified and alone.  
I stayed up all night researching answers to this problem and I realized that because I live in Canada, I'm out of luck in terms of drugs available here.  I read a lot about suboxone and would want to use it as it seems like the best way to minimize withdrawl symptoms.  The only way I could get it is to go to rehab in the States.  As I mentioned, I CANNOT let this problem interfere with my work ever again.  I have vowed to myself that this terrible week has not been in vain;  that I had to go through this to realize and accept the serverity of my problem.  I have rationed the last of my pills over a 10 day time line with the dose decreasing ever-so slowly until hopefully, I can quit without the agony I went through doing it cold turkey.  I intend to go to the methadone clinic in my neighborhood to at least get some advice from the doctor there.  I can't bring myself to confide in my family doctor.
The reason I posted this openly instead of directlly to you is that I'm hoping there is someone out there in Canada who can offer some advice, support, or sollutions.
Again, I thank-you from the bottom of my heart.  The fact that you would take the time to talk to me touches me greatly and I hope to keep paying it forward.  I wish you success and good health. Good luck, I know you can do it.
your story is almost identical to mine. i was up to 240mg of oxy/day. it is very frightening to think of running out and going through the withdrawal. the taper will work, eventually. trust me, my recovery off of these is fairly recent and you know what? i do not have to wake up in the morning thinking of how many pills i have left. the first thing i think of is how much better i feel. no diarrhea, no watery eyes and nose before chewing the little suckers. i am almost normal again. i am so convinced that this is mind over matter that i am 100% sure that i would throw one away if it were laying in front of me. i know this sounds impossible, i have been where you are and for the very same reason, i wanted the energy. that comes back with time, food and exercise, none of which i was doing for myself. take a good look at some of your pictures of yourself while you are on the meds. then look at some before, i think you may see a difference. they trash your body honey. we feel good, but the truth is they are killing us. hang in there, you can do this. with the help of the people on this site it can be done. you can leave the guilt at the door. we all understand how you feel. by the way, everyone is different, i thought about suboxone in my frantic terror and decided not to trade. it was the best decision i made for me. that is just me though.
When I started to feel "normal" again last night after getting more oxy into my system,  I was horrified at the thought of staying home from work for my "mystery illness".  I was sure that today would be one of the worst in my life;  I have a very strong work ethic and have spent the last 12 years building my career. To imagine letting drugs get that close to destroying everything I've worked for made me sick.  But you know what?  I am begining to believe everything happens for a reason.  The compassion and kindness I have received today has made an impact on me that will stay with me for the rest of my life.  I am so grateful to everyone who has taken their time to share and really GIVE ME HOPE.  I am convinced that with determination, trying to drop my dosages slowly, getting some advice from the methadone clinic physician, and most importantly, communicating with all of the generous people on this site, that I WILL kick this thing and be able to do it with dignity.
How did you work the taper?  Is there anything I should know or is there anything that anyone can suggest that might help?  I have so may social engagements next week, a wedding to attend the following week, etc., and I'm panicking that I'm going to feel as awful as I felt this week going cold turkey.
I realize I'm just repeating myself now, but I'm a bit stir crazy and feeling guilty [there's that word again] for feeling good having the drug in me.
I know people have been so giving already, but any more words of advice, stories to share, techniques are so appreciated.
As crazy as this sounds, I am honoured to be part of this discussion.  
By the way, I just watched a documentary called, "Hillbilly Heroine" on CBC.  I feel like the universe is conspiring to tell me that we can all beat this addiction.  I know that I will never live the life I want as long as I continue to use.  Having a dirty little secret is the worst feeling in the world.
1234betterlife, you have impacted my life in such a great way today.  For that, I thank-you so very much.  I wish you all the best-happiness, success, health, and freedom from addiction.
I feel like a needy, desperate person today and would appreciate ANY stories from ANYONE.  Whether it's about the struggle or advice on tapering... I'll listen to anyone right now.  My dirty secret feels like it is going to kill me.  It has already taken a huge part of my life.  I don't even remember how to be "me" without the oxy.  I am terrified that I won't be able to live without it.  I hope everyone out there is doing better than me.  If you are not, at least you are not alone.
Once you have crossed that line into full blown addiction, which I know I am a full blown addict, you are only as sick as your secrets. In my case, my secrets DO try to kill me. I think waht would do you a world of good right now is to find a NA or AA group near you and go to a meeting. I personally prefer NA. They can relate better to my situation with the pills. I think you need hug from someone who has been where you are and can tell you face to face "It is going to be okay!" Don't get me wrong, I love what I read on here but sometimes I need to hear someone say that to me. When I finally decide to get hones with people around me, that longing for human contact disappears because now I can actually let someone in and not feel so alone.

EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY!! Remember, you did not get this way over night and you won't get back to "normal" (whatever that may be) over night either!

XOXOXOXOXO
I thank-you from the bottom of my heart.
I am going to a movie with a bunch of people and it is so weird having this secret, but so helpful to have you to talk to.
I don't feel so alone anymore and I want you to know you have really made a difference in my life.
You are a good person and I hope you love yourself as much as you deserve.  Not everyone would take time to help a stranger, and this stranger is so grateful.
I look forward to keeping you updated on my RECOVERY because I know I can kick this thing.  Your support is impossble to define, but I feel it and it is helping me so much.
My situation and yours are so similar, its scary!  If you would like to contact me, my email is ***@****.  I would love to have someone to talk to that really understands, but like you, I am not willing to go to any type of support groups, for fear of being recoginized.  I would absolutely die if anyone found out about this horrible and what sometimes seems impossible situation.  If not, thats ok.  Good luck to you in all of this, I know it is very difficult.
I WISH 1 OF YOUR STORIES COULD BE AS SEVERE AS MINE HOWEVER I GUESS ITS JUST SOMETHING THAT WE CANNOT CONTROL ONCE YOU TAKE IT ITS GOT YOU THE QUESTION IS HOW STRONG DO YOU NEED TO BE COMING OFF 500 MG A DAY 240 TWICE EVERY 12
HOURS SO IMAGINE WHERE I AM AT PEOPLE. I ALSO HAVE LOTS OF OTHER PROBLEMS AND A SEIZURE DISORDER SO I WILL BE ON XANAX FOR LIFE WHICH SUCKS BUT I NEVER ****** IT UP LIKE I HAVE ****** THIS UP.  I PERSONALLY WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO GET OUT OF THIS AND DO ANYTHING TO BE BETTER WHICH I DO NOT BELIEVE IS IMPOSSIBLE. THE DRUG PHYSICALLY DOES HAVE A PULL ON YOU MOST PEOPLE COULD NOT CONTROL THE ADDICTION PROCESS HAPPENS SO FAST YOU DONT REALIZE REALITY UNTIL 5 YEARS LATER WHERE IM AT AND BE THAT HAPPY LIVING THIS LIFE IS WAY MORE THEN MISERY IT IS EVIL AND SO IS THE DRUG I CRY FOR HELP AND SINCERALY PRAY YOU ALL MAKE IT AND I ALSO MAKE IT.  however this stuff just kills you and it will take your soul if you let it.  I will never let it take mine i dont know how physically but i am fighting and wont stop until its over take a minute to know how scared you really are when you realize whats going to happen to you.and how deep it has you until you know inside you have absolutely no control.
May God bless all of you, I feel your pain but  you will overcome all of your fears and dependency of this evil  drug. oxycodone should have never beem out for Dr's to prescribe like if it is candy,

I will be praying for all,remember God loves you
I am aso from Canada and am just starting to taper.  i've never been so scared in all of my life.  I cannot believe how fast this all got out of control
You all have me scared, I have been on oxy 40mg 2x a day for the last 4 days for a back injury. I am off them starting today, am I going to have withdrawl symtoms? last dose was 8pm last night.
He guys---

This post was started 7 years ago. It will go right back to archives in a short time. If either of you wish to start your own post, go to the top of this page and hit the "post a question" button. Follow the instructions. Hope to see you in the forum!!!
As a result of chronic pain from a bulged disk in my neck I was prescribed Oxycontin and ended up taking the medication for almost seven months up to 120mg per day.  It has been almost 12 days without any Oxy in my system and I still have trouble sleeping.  However, I wanted to let everyone know that my withdrawals would have been much worse without accupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.  I had accupuncture treatments almost every day for a week and was given Milk Thistle (3 capsules twice a day) and an herb called Calm ES (5 capusles three times a day).  Also, make sure to eat and drink healthy organic foods like garlic, beets, carrot juice, lemon water, high protein low fat foods like fish, etc.  The Liver is key to recovering quickly and with less pain.  The foods mentioned above will help detoxify the liver and body.  Also, believe it or not exercise will help when able...do not push too hard though.  Epsom salt baths will also help the detoxification process and assist in relaxation.  Don't get me wrong the withdrawal was still difficult: I lost 15 pounds in a week, stomach cramps, shakes, sensitivity to light, insomnia, loose stringy bowel movements, chills, sneezing, etc.  I had to stop taking the medication almost immediately due to the fact that it was inducing panic attacks so keep in mind that I was able to stop almost cold turkey with accupuncture, diet, exercise, support from friends and family, and a lot of praying and the worst was over in about a week.  Of course everyone is different, but I'm absolutely convinced that accupuncture made the whole process ten times easier and less painful.  It is recommended to find an experienced, licensed accupuncturist who has helped many people with addictions.  Please know that I am only sharing my personal experience in the hopes that it might help others.  Please make sure that you talk to your doctor before trying to get off the medication as there is a chance that you can have sizures if you stop too fast.  Also, some of the foods and herbs mentioned above might not be good for some people so talk to your doctor first.  God bless and Merry Christmas.
Post Script:

As I'm sure you all know, Oxycontin is an evil medication I believe should only be allowed for terminal cancer patients with chronic, excruciating pain and/or others that have chronic, excruciating pain and no other alternatives like massage, electrotherapy, surgery, etc.  This medication slowly changed me into a different person...I became very irritable, angry, unmotivated, depressed, and numb to life.  Finally, in the end my body couldn't filter the medication anymore and it caused me to have the panic attacks I mentioned above.  Now, I feel like a new man ready to take on the world again...my senses are no longer dulled and everything seems to be much more vibrant and vivid.  There is hope and with perseverance you can get through this ordeal and get your life back.  Again, God bless, good luck, and Merry Christmas!
hi everyone, as you all know withdrawing from oxycontin and other opiate medication is sorry. at first i was on ten 5 mg percocets per day for one year, then the second year of my addiction i went up to ten 40 mg oxycontin per day. so can u imagine withdrawing from 400 mg of oxycodone per day? It is horrendoius, restless legs and arm, flu like symptom, cold sweats and chills. This addiction took my life, family, and bank account. One day I said F**K this S**T i want my life back. The first and second day u have no energy and cannot sleep with cold symptoms. the 3rd and 4th day u still cannot sleep with aching pains all over and joint creak everytime u moved, still felt sick and craving for food is not there, the 5th day is worst as your body is like a civil war with not knowing what side to choose. the 6th day u cam somewhat sleep and start to feel better, OK I AM GONNA SHARE A LITTLE BIT OF SECRETS WITH U ABOUT WITHDRAWING AND DETOXICFICATION. IF YOU CAN GET A ACCUPUNTURE 3 TO 4 FOR THE MONTH YOU ARE CLEAN,AS THIS WILL HELP WITH WITHDRAWS. EAT GOOD WHOLESOME FOOD AS MUCH AS AS POSSIBLE,FRUITS AND VEGETABLES, WHOLE GRAIN RICE AND BREADS, TURKEY BREAST,CHICKEN BREAST. SALMON, AND LOTS OF FRUIT JUICES.ALSO AT NIGHT FOR THE FIRST MONTH OF WITHDRAWING TAKE AND 2-3 HITS OF HIGH QUALITY MARIJUANA AS THIS WITH SOMEWHAT HELP WITH INSOMNIA AND MENTAL ISSUES. ALSO TAKE YOUR VITAMINS AND PLENTY OF WATER TO DETOXIFY.
Thank-you all for your post, i just started oxy 30mg. about 3 weeks ago and right now im at the point i love them. They give me so much energy, and happiness, my house is spotless and i dont even mind going to work, however I too was naive and quit taking them for two days, i was so sick i lost time at work, i had no idea it was withdrawls, or i just would have taken another pill, so i wont let that happen again, never run out or stop taking, i also took another one appromately 2 hours after i already took one, and it made me nod, I wont do that again, but from reading your forum I am getting scared, I love these pills and how they make me feel and act. So far i feel in control and don't want to stop taking them, are you all saying that eventually they will begin to control me. How will this work, will i want to take more then just my 3 i allow myself, because I get up at 5 a.m. take one at 6 wait at least 5 hours and take another one, then one more when i get home from work, so i clean the house, then i eat dinner and go to bed, happy knowing i get to have a pill when i wake up, I'm at the point I never want to stop taking them, not only out of fear of the withdrawl symtons, but mostly because i like the way they make me function at work and home. Im sure you all probably started this way, but then they turn on you am i right. What signs should i look for when i'm getting out of control?  Im sure im probably addicted and dont even no it, but right now it works for me and when somethings not broke why fix it. Today's date is July 7th and my name is Tina, from Naples, Fl. I will keep in touch and let you hear about my progression into this monster diesease, maybe i won't be able to see it, but maybe all of you will, i'm grateful for all of you and your stories, and yes you have scared me, but I still don't want to quit. May i keep in touch with you all, or would you rather i didnt? Thanks for letting me share. All comments are appreciated. Thanks Tina.
You have posted on an old post. Please re-post in a new one. 'Post a Question' button at top.
I have been on pain meds of various kinds for 6.5 yrs know due to a broken back. Currently I am on 40oxycontin 10mscontin and endone for breakthroughpain. Last night I went into acute withdrawal, Found myself with diahrea and sweets. I found out today after spending the day on the toilet I may have caught gastro from another family menmber. My question is does anyone know if extended realease tablets are digested or become less effective if you have gastro.
I am in the process of tappering with the help of my doctor.  He is tappering me very slow I was also taking 120mg a day.  I am down to 60 mg.  It is so much easier to tapper if you have a good doctor to work with, as with mine he has given me 10 mlg pill for extrem withdrawl systems.  I asked him how long it would take and his reply was at this dose you are on it will take about 8 months maybe longer.  I have not gone through any discomfort so far.  I would rather do it this way than suffer with extrem w/d.  like I said I have not felt any w/ds at all.  Due to the fact of the slow tapper I am on and yes maybe it will take 8 months to get off of this for good but I took it for 4 1/2 years so what is 8 months to be totally off the stuff for good.  Please contact your doctor and he will help you through this all doctors love to hear that you want to stop taking this med.  And will do all they can to help you.......Debbie
I just posted something on a related page here, and everytime I read more I am amazed.  I have only been on this drug for two months.  I have taken it exactly as prescribed, and only took 30mg 2x a day at most.  I am currently having a hard time with the tapering even at this dose.  I can't sleep. coughing, sneezing, and feel like I am going to jump out of my skin.  I never liked the way this drug made me feel...no psychological addiction.  Physically, my body needs it to sleep and function normally.  I am so annoyed because I was never told by the doctors invloved (ahead of time) about the possibility of an addiction, tapering off etc.  Now that I have informed them of the problem the tapered me down to 10mg a day (withdrawal symptoms the whole time), and told me I can now take 5mg of oxycodone instead (or 10 if necessary)...this is not helping.  Right now it is almost 2 a.m. and no signs of sleep.  I am just going to tough it out, because I refuse to continue to take a drug that is doing this much to me at this dose.
My doctor prescribed oxicotin 20mg 2x day - I've only been on it for two months.  Forgot to take it last night and woke up around 3am with sweats, bad dreams, and upset stomache.  Now I'm getting really scared!  Thought this would be a good way to put off inavitable neck surgery, but seeing how easy it was to go into withdrawal makes me want to get off this RIGHT NOW!  Can pills be cut in half and taper off that way?  Don't want to mess with going back to a doctor that put me on something this harsh so easily.  Please help, I don't like this at all!
well i started over a year ago a close friend was getting oxcodone 5mg and wow i snorted one with him and it maked me feel great I even had a cold i would take one and just woke me up and felt great..no I am scared i have spent alot of money i dont have and as u get addicted you feel the great high any more so i take 6 to 8 a day by snorting them and if your drinkng while on them you can pound the beer down, tappering and rebound back at times ,after long term use i have found the high is nothing like when you started , dont always feel good with them how should a tapper off these and how long
I used the fentenol patchs I just stuck one on my chest left it there for 3days.did that twices and it worked.Ive been taking 240ml per day for the past 3 years
it becomes the words time of your life when you are cut off abruptly...I did this to myself becauce I had sedretaties at my dr's office question how ai funtion with a child at home. It's sort of like they cut me off for a day, until my next appt, and Iused it to empower myself, and stop on my own.  I took a private amount for about 9 months due to severe nere damage due to chemotherapy.  It was a free-for-all as far as my dr is concerned, but the office, and once thepharmacy questioned my drug scripts.  

All in all, the dr is the one that is the pain manager...**** secretaries/pharmacists, but this 1 secretary  DID empower me...

Im on day 2 of abrupt withdrawal, so typing is a miracle.  I do  hae a child at home, and the paradox is that withdrawal itself is causing the disfunction.  Thank God for a great husband, and great parrents...

Best of luck to all of you, and btw, depression, and mental side effects can last months, but the wort of the physical are oer in 3-5 days...Just fwi...
I will try to condense this as much as I can. I have been taking narcotics for 7 years D/T Relex Sympathetic Dystrophy caused by a knee injury, and a few years later Fibromyalgia also set in. I have gone through all of the class 2 and class 3 narcotics, then when the RSD became very aggressive I was placed on the class 4's,Oxycontin and Dilaudid. I was taking 80mg Oxycontin every 8 hours, with 30mg Oxycodone 3 times daily as needed for breakthrough pain. So I took 330mg per day. After several years, narcotics (oral) were no longer working. Following the unsuccessful effects from a Spinal Cord Stimulator, my doctor suggested the implanted pain pump, which I agreed on and it was just implanted. After the pump was placed my dr.started weaning me off the oral meds in 5 day increments. I NEVER deviated from this schedule. He said I would experience some uncomfortable effects from the Oxy withdrawal, despite the accurate weaning. Uncomfortable is not the correct word to descrbe this!  I am so TIRED I can't hardly get out of bed. I ache ALL OVER, I'm jittery and nervose, it hurts to walk, my back hurts, I'm hearing things that are not there, I have urine retention, and I can't remember ANYTHING!!!!  He told me the withdrawal would not last long since we weaned the correct way and did not do "cold turkey," which I would not have done anyway! Well, it's been at least 3 weeks!  I AM VERY TIRED OF THIS!  How long does it take to go through withdrawal for gosh sakes? I guess it's probably a little different for each person but I can certainly see now how difficult it is for people to want to go through this! SH********!!!!!!!!!! So, how LONG does this last? (the side effects of withdrawal?). Appreciate any help at all. May God Bless you all!!!!.........                  
i suffer from neck injury. put on 20 x2 oxy. doctor took me off them 60 days ago. quit fror month.

bumped into friend he gave me a couple of 20's took one not even thinking.  5 days off use later.
stoping seams to be 10 times harder thinking of methedone.

not shure what to do.

david.   need input.    thanks
I am currently taking 200-240mg of oxycotin a day by snorting all but 1 pill, i know rediculous, but here is my question, i want to start eating them, and only 2 a day, is it possible, and what should i expect? I usually crush 3-4 in the morning when waking up, then a few more through the day and then a half of a 40 at bed, i would like to get to the point that i can eat one in the am and eat one at bed, i have never before consumed them properly, except for the 1 at lunch why i dont know,,,, but can this be done and again what should i expect and for how long, a friend says i wont be that sick as i am eating them so they will be in my system anyways and release slowly into the body,,,is he full of ****, or is he right???? any and all insight would be helpfull, please no referal to methadone, not interested and i dont have any idea where to find suboxin, i have tried.....thank-you
Hi can I firstly as a couple of questions. you say you are on 200-240mg per day are you on a prescription? I ask this because normally a Dr will prescribe a set amount per week. Secondly are they modified release tablets?? You say you don't know why you snort them but surely something or someone has led you to believe that snorting them is more effective? and lastly what condition a you taking them for
Always, this post is over 11 years old. The members you are speaking to are no longer active members. If you need a question answered regarding addition, please start your own post and active members here will respond. Take care.
do not ever chew them up.  you are bypassing the colon and the residual is going into your bladder.  I was at the point of sitting on the toilet in the middle of the night for sometimes 45 minutes trying to pee.  I WOULD DISGUSTEDLY GO BACK TO BED AN HAVE TO GET BACK UP WITHIN 10 MINUTES.  Bottom line is that pretty soon you nwill have the worst case of erictile dysfunction you can imagine.  
If you swallow them whole, beware, the constipation takes the place of the inability ot urinate.
This medication is the devil in disguise.  I hope there may soon be some kind of replacement for it.  I have tapered from 240 mg/day plus 30 mg of percocet down to 160 mg/day over the last two months.  Just get it into your head that you will no longer get any buzz and the battle is mostly won.  I have used oxy since they came out.  I am guessing 10 years or a little less.  It totally changed ,y personality and my life.  I was near a divorce from using it legally.  Start getting off now before it takes away everything that is good in your life.  It is worse than the pain.  
A horrible auto accident that nearly took my life was my wake-up call.  Now, at the time I need pain management the worst, I am taking less every week.
How are you doing since your last post? I feel for you. I went cold turkey in 2003, it lasted 3 weeks! Now again Im going thru detoxing. Started Tuesday from 4 15mg's oxycodone to 1/2 of one 15mg today. The days not over and neither are the withdrawals. Ill pray for your recovery. GOD BLESS!
My husband has been off of oxycodine for about 7 months now, he is still dealing with major withdrawal everyday of his life. He sees his doctor on a regular basis and keeps getting different pills subscribed to him to "help" but nothing seems to help.
I am at such a loss, I don't know how to deal with it anymore. He is constantly barking at me, is depressed all the time.  I know he is going through a lot but I don't know if I can live with this for the rest of my life.
Any suggestions on some help?   These symptoms of withdrawal are not just minor ones fyi
I took oxycotton 40 cut it in fourths and took at least one a day for 7 days. the first day I quit and tried to go to sleep at night and had restless legs real bad so I took a 5mg hydrocodone and slept fine. The next 3 days I took no pain pills and only slept maybe an hour total. I went to the doc today and was put on zoloft and a strong highly controlled sleeping pills and doesnt affect me at all. When can I sleep again. My body hurts so bad from no sleep
Sleep is one of the last withdrawal symptoms to subside. The good news is that it will come back. The bad news is it just takes time. After about a week of not taking any opiates you will start getting some sleep. Once I hit the three week mark I was getting around 6 hours a night. Once I hit 30 days I my sleep was back to normal. Just be sure you don't take anymore opiates as it will set you back.

You may want to start your own post as these older threads tend to get overlooked.

Hang in there.

Brian
Thanks the doctor bill for gettin sleepin pills was gettin expensive for none of them to work. I just cant believe only taking them for a week straight would do this to me. I really feel for the people who has taken them for years
I am in a similar situation. I was taking a similar amount of vicoprofen. I went cold turkey 8 days ago. The first 2 days were like the flu with hyperanxiety (not the end of the world though). Day 3 was pretty much almost back to normal and then I havent jones'd that much for them. I started taking ultram which i think is helping my pain. It does not give the euphoria feeling but has more of a steady take away of pain. Overall it was much better than i thought and feel like i have control over the pills versus them having control of me which i started to feel the last 4-6 months. GLTU
I am on day 4 of being off oxycodone 7.5 x2 8 pills a day. I was on them for 5that months and i feel horrible!!  I have a wonderful husband and family that keep encouraging me but this feeling of gloom wont go away and i want so bad to take a pill and be happy!!
I am in the UK so access to drugs to aid detox or other paon killers is limited, I am on a very high dose of oxycontin but have decided enough is enough. I have a severe spinal injury that cannot be operated on and I am stuck with it thanks to a cheap airline Ryan Air! However, I have learnt from experience that pain management techniques are very important when getting off the oxycontin. Try febrinacci in your head, search this on google and then try the maths in your head concentrating hard on it like this 1 plus 1 is 3, 3 plus 4 is 7, 7plus 8 is 15, 15 plus 9 is 24 and so on. Try small periods to start, concentating hard, make a note of how far you get and carry on from there next time. You'll be surprised where the time goes, how you forget the symtoms of detox and how strong you get. Another important tip, keep a journal, write down dosages and how you feel as the symptoms of detox can make you confused and you'll get dosages mixed up possibly, Take time on your journal as it again helps. Very importantly do not crush or chew the oxycontin tablets ever, its no good at all, also drink more water than normal as oxycontin is  removed from the body through urine, the more you drink the more it is flushed from the body. Think about other things rather than how you feel or what the detox is doing, try to exercise more, go for a walk look at your surroundings , take note of things write about them in your journal, Distract yourself but above all making your brain do mathematical exercises you'll be surprised how easy it gets and the benefits. Thank you all for the posts and good luck to all on your detox. Take care...
I am glad this forum has not closed. Reading all of the old posts makes me feel for these people, and I wonder what happened to them. Hello to the new posters, I hope you are still there. I saw someone ask a question about bladder problems, I have the exact same thing.
I was on Vicodin 10/660 2 pills 3 times per day for about 2 years. The original condition is almost gone and I know I can face the pain head on if I get off of this drug that is running my life. I thought it would be easier to withdraw from Oxycodone than from Vicodin, I don’t know why, and switched over to oxycodone 60 mg 4 times per day total of 240 mg per day for the past two months. I started with taking 30 mg twice per day, and it worked ok for about 2 days, and now it’s catching up with me. The withdraw is bad, so after reading on line how to taper, I put myself on 1 and ¾ tabs every 6 hours, then tomorrow evening switching to 1 ½ every 6, and then I will continue to wean from there, 5 mg at a time reduction and each time I reduce will keep on that for about 2 days, maybe if needed. I counted up all the milligrams necessary for my slacking off and then divided by 30 mg for how many pills I will need. I will be doing a lot of pill chopping. Turns out I have just about enough to do it. I may have to jump in the pool the last couple of days, but that’s ok, I do have some vacation time.
I read on here about a guy who said he was clueless, didn’t even know he was going through withdraw, that is how I was the first time, when my idiot doctor wanted to try me on fentanyl patch, so put me on the lowest milligram dose there is, pharmacy never heard of it, had to order it, wound up in ER, thought I was dying … that is how I learned about withdraw. My doctor would write me for whatever I asked for, as she was trying to build up a patient base, once she did that, she decided she doesn’t write for narcotics anymore, and that is it. I can get them from the street, but no way. I have been wanting to quit, so this just lights the fire to get it done. Do I wish my doctor all the Karma she has coming to her? Oh I sure do. Maybe she will get the flu and suffer along with me, LOL, she’s got it coming, but I am glad to be quitting.
I don’t get the usual affect from the narcotics that most people post about. I get the opposite. I get a speed kind of high that makes me feel alert like a pot of coffee with a zing. Even though I have this alert feeling, the drug is taking over my life. All of the side effects, the constipation, the intense itching all over, the bad taste in the mouth 24/7, having to live my life around the medication, it’s all just ruling my life and I want to be free of it, I want my life back again. I want to smell things again. I mean, I can smell now, but it’s not the same, Id ont’ really smell things, I don’t feel the essence in anything, it’s like quick get it over with and move on. No time to smell a rose, just move on move on. I can’t live like this anymore.
I will be using a chart to taper that I found on the internet someplace. If anyone wants it, let me know.
I will post my progress every day. I see this forum hangs around long. I can’t believe I am reading posts that are 12 years old. I wish some of the posters would come back in and let us know how their lives are now. In just 1 year I want to look back on this like a bad dream.
Thanks for listening,
Hugs,
Lilly
Hello sounds like most of u are in the USA So hello
Im from down under Australia and been on Oxycontin 80mg for 9YEARS yes 9 YEARS  started with 20mg then up and up it went and why you ask Ill tell u its because Doctors R bloody Drug dealers with a licence to deal drugs...  The biggest fear was if my doctor decided to quit or if he died or retired, where would that leave me then,, However 9 months later my doctor said he can not give me oxycontin his been in drama with the board so here i was thinking great get ready for the pain of withdrawl..  But another doctor from the same surgery said he will take me on but he will only give me four 80mg tabs a day and i was on 8 a day so i thought **** withdrawl coming soon.. but it never come and im still on 4 a day now and its been 2 weeks everyday 4 tabs for 2 weeks and im going cold turkey now as depending on this just ***** and it was 4pm yesterday i had last tablet and its now 205pm ive had no tablets and feeling ok im sweaty and it passes and yarwning alot and felt a little sick only lasted 2 mins the sick i mean only 2 min and ill post and let you know how i go for those that are interested  and for those that read this please try and get off them as my last 9 years has just passed fast and quick only way to do it is want to really want to and if you have a doubt that you cant or dont really want to then just dont quit it wont work,.. ill let you no...
Bull! Withdrawals from any narcotic can kill you! Plain and simple.
The variances among narcotic "opioids"(synthetics) and "opiates" (opium derived, possibly alkaloids) all have the same effect on your nervous system. They all: Stop the production of endorphins, neuropeptides that act as neuromodulators when taken long term. They also "burn out" opiate receptors. Endorphins (endogenous morphine) are the human body's natural form of opiates that act to modulate pain and many other functions. They are not in themselves neurotransmitters, but the modulate the actions of them in the body. Upon withdrawal of opiates and opioids your body can go into shock resulting in death. Also, With the absence of endorphins comes a compromised immune system. Basically, your immune system shuts down! Now you are left vulnerable to serious infection that could also result in death. Having a weakened immune system also raises your long term risk of cancer or disease from viruses/bacteria, etc. Theres virtually no difference between morphine, heroin, or oxycodone withdrawal, or from any other opiate at that. They all have differences in how they affect your body while taking them, but the one thing they all share in common, they all shut down your endorphin production, they all cause your endogenous opioid receptors to burnout, and they all can easily cause death upon withdrawal.  Endogenous just means "from within" or "self derived". There are other meanings, but these are the most describable.
I have been on Oxycontin 80gm for the first 4 years since my accident in dec 07,I was taking 2 80mg after my first neck fusion surgery in oct 2008,then continued taking 80 mg Oxycontin twice a day,then had my second surgery on my loswer back in nov 2009, continued taking 2 80 gm oxys but then they put polymer in it and it stopped working,switched to oxymophone 40mg 3times a day for 6 months,then they put polymer in that and it stopped working now i take 30 mg oxycodone 8 to 12 tabs a day,along with 2 mg zantax 4 times a day,Ive been on the 30's until this point,I want to quit so bad i cant stand the meds but i still need another back surgery in march 2013,I heard if you go cold turkey you can have seizures and several other serious problems,but since I've been on this stuff nearly 5 years Im terrified what will happen my wife is on 6 to 7 30's a day as well because she has gallbladder issues and has the defective bladder mesh inside her,she has had 2 surgeries and the pain is overwhelming,we are just so screwed I JUST WAN OUR LIVES BACK AND NOT DIE TRYING TO GET OFF THIS EVIL CRAP
I just wanted to say that this reply is correct.  I am now trying to taper off and its very hard to do and when it's forced upon you and someone tries to control the dose it is WAY worse for that person, trust me.  Please work with your wife and as long as she is not increasing the dose let her do it the best way possible.  It's has to be slowly!!!  Good luck