Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Oxycontin Withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Oxycontin Withdrawal

My wife is at the point where she is getting off Oxycontin soon. She is taking 120mg/day to contol her back pain and her back will be repaired shortly.
My question, is it better to reduce the dosage quickly (say over 6 days) and endure the sterss of all the withdrawal symptoms and be back to normal sooner or to do a slow letdown and minimize the withdrawal symptoms? Also any estimates of how long the slow method could take?

Thank you
If she can do it - take as long as you can with diminishing amounts. Getting "back to normal sooner" isn't really a reality with opiates. If you come off quick, the withdrawal symptoms go away after a few days, but there's a mental void. If you go off slowly, it's so gradual that your body won't be in any type of noticible shock/change. If she isn't "addicted" she should be able to taper well. But, if someones addicted, someone else needs to hold the reigns of the drug. They'll take enough to feel good and disregard being out of medication the next day. It sounds like she is only on the Oxycontin short-term, so she should do fine. The taper rate should be shorter than if she had been taking it for a year or so...But I guarantee that if you go off too soon, your wife will "miss" the medication. And if she doesn't think she "needs" it now, she will then. I hope this makes sense.
Thanks for your response Mike. However she has been on it for a year. Any input as to the taper rate? The Oxycontin web page shows 50% less to start for 2 days and 25% less for 2 days until below 10-20mg/day.

Thanks again
withdrawal from oxyconyin depends on a fw things.such as how many she was taking and for how long. its been my experience that it takes 5 to 7 days to detox. but the cravings are strong and it is difficult to function completely normal at this time. then there is another problem,diahrea. it can be quite difficult to control that, so be close to a bathroom.you do have soom pleasant moments sometimes,after all you are trying to stay clean[HOORAY]from ther as long as you stay clean every day gets better                  good luck EVAN
Hi Denis,  I think you may be underestimating what you wife will be going through.  It is not as matter of fact as all that.  I was on vicodin es for about a year and quitting is hell.  I am on a taper program.  They taper me 10% a week and even that is hard.  Try to understand it is the mental part that is that is the most difficult.  If you have never been addicted to a narcotic it is very hard to understand.  It sounds like you are trying to prepare early that is good, just understand it will be hard for her.  And she will probably be very irritable at best.
My Mom was on oyxcontin, she was on a very high dosage for quite a while....until she overdosed, then she flipped out...they put her on methodone to detox her, but she still had seizures...it was horrible. It has been over a month now & she is just now getting back to an even keel. This stuff scares the **** out of me.
Go slower, do not reduce by more than 10% per day.  At end of detox, see if you can get dr. to prescribe clonidine (a blood pressure med. that helps with the minor withdrawal symptoms) and trazodone (an anti-depressant that is great for sleep).  Oxy is hard to detox from (I've been there).  Any more questions, just ask.  GOOD LUCK!!!
I smoke every day and have since high school. tried to quit a handful of times but the buzz has always been irrestiable. I'm sort of accident prone and have hurt myself several times and caught my self on fire once. Got demerol most of the time and enjoyed it. sometimes even went back with phantom pain to get more. never got hooked and always went back to my normal rutine, no pun intended. I blew out my knee and got vicodine, then ES, finally oxycontin (20's). The knee got scoped and healed, took about six months. Went to quit the meds and quikly realized tapering was the way to go. Got some valium for the jones and used vicodin ES and a pill cutter to wean. told everone I had the flu and spent a week in bed with more sympoms than space here to describe. a year later I ruptured a disk, cautously went back on the same two meds, leaving the meds at the pharmicy and picking up a few days worth at a time twice a week. pain got worse, meds went as high as 240mgs oxycontin per day (3-40's am & 3-40's PM).when I tried to go to 2-80's every 12 hrs the parmicy wouldn't go along. I stayed at 3-40s twice a day but really started to worry about what the pamicist said about the oxy. Began to taper as to not wind up killing myself with these things. went to 2-40's twice a day. caught my thumb nail in the clamping device at work and ripped my thumb nail out whole. it was excrutiating, but i stayed on track and am currently stepping down from 1-10 and 1-20 twice a day to 1-20 am 1-20 pm. the plan is to step down to 10's in five days. I hope to first eliminate the am 10mg, then the pm 10mg after a few days. I hope the withdraw from that level will be tolerable. I can't wait to feel normal once again. A detox worker told me about Naltrexone to fight the craveings after the detox. has anyone ever tried this and is it worse that the desease? I can't tell you all how much strength I've gained from reading each one of your stories. Good luck to us all.
Good luck to you on your tapering.  As to the Nal, I have not found it to help cravings at all.  What it really does is simply block the effects of the opiates for a long enough period of time for you not to act instantly on a craving and relapse.  My experience with it is that if you want to use it, the best way is to wait until about 2 weeks after your last opiates (to make sure they are totally out of your system, otherwise it will precipitate withdrawal), then, if you can, have a Nal pellet implanted.  They do this in about ten minutes, in a doctor's office, local anesthetic and a few stiches.  They put the pellet somewhere like your side or abdominal area.  Then, the pellet releases Nal for about 6-8 weeks.  That way, you HAVE to stay clean.  With the pills, you can stop taking them and use in about 48hrs.  Best of luck!
I hope you're still following these posts.

I've been on oxycontin for a year due to a crushed L4 vertabra (60mg x2/day). Last summer, I decided to get off. At first, I decided to just stop. BIG mistake! Within four hours of missing the last dose, I was in the blackest depression you can possibly imagine - suicidal. The hour that it took for the dose to take effect that I swallowed after the depression started was the longest hour of my life.

Then I decided to just taper off. No pressure from the doctor. No one associated with me was in a hurry of any kind. It took me two and a half months to go from 60 mg twice a day to 20 mg twice a day. No depression. No withdrawal of any kind. However, I was in a whole lot more pain with that crushed L4 than I thought I was. Apparently, that oxycontin is as good as they say it is. I'm back on it now with no problem from my back and I'm told that since surgery is not recommended for me that I will be on it for a long time.

So if there's any advice in this it would be to make sure your wife has all the oxycontin she wants for as long as she wants it. Let her taper off at her own rate; she'll know what it is. She should not have to be on anyone's schedule but her own.

Hope this helps.

Frank
I have been on Oxycotin for about 7 months.  Prior to that I was taking Loratab for about a year, and prior to that I was taking percocet and vicadine.  All of this was in connection with chronic pain arising from L-5/S-1 spine injury.  Because the lami nectomy two years ago did not work, I underwent fusion this last May and am still in my "post-op" phase of recovery two months later.  I am taking approximately 60-80 mg of Oxycontin per day and my efforts to taper have been difficult.  Apart from the pressure/guilt/anxiety from my surgeon (he personally would never prescribe Oxycontin but was was "forced" to accept that the pain management folks already had me on it) and pharmacist, when I reduce my dosage, I suffer extreme generalized burning pain throughout my body --- its like a bad sunburn on the inside.  I realize now that part of my error was chewing the tablet so that I could manage the break through pain.  Now, having bounced around various message boards on the net, I realize that I have to approach my pain management much differently, but am at a loss for how.  For one thing, I don't know if my pain is because my back has not yet healed or because of trying to reduce the drug dosage.  I also don't know if there is some other way to manage the taper either with other drugs or therapies (e.g. acupuncture).  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  I realize my dosages are smaller in both duration and quantity than many of you, but I would like to avoid learning through personal experience the road that many of you have travelled so courageously.  Thank you.
Your body is clearly dependent on the narcotic.  You will experience withdrawal symptoms (which is probably what the burning sensation is) unless you are switched to another drug and then tapered from that.  My advice is to ask your physician to switch you to buprenorphine (injections you can do yourself) and then taper the buprenorphine.  This will limit or eliminate withdrawal.  Only once you are off the narcotics for a bit will you be able to determine your baseline level of pain from your spinal problem.
I have been on demorol for 1 month then they switched me to oxycontin 20 mg first for 2+ months and then after my gall bladder surgery they upped it to 40mg about a week-10 days ago.  I have another doctors appt. soon and decided since the pain had subsided to quit the meds altogether and see what I had left of the pain.  Big mistake!  The pain from the surgery is almost completely gone but I cannot function without the oxycontin.  I only have 40mg tablets here at the house and have read that you are not supposed to break them because it could potentially mess up the time release and overdose you.  Today I made it on only one tablet instead of two but literally could not get out of bed until I took it.  It took me 4 hours (awake) to move from the bed to the couch to the chair in the kitchen.  I am nauseated and feel fluish.  I am supposed to go back to work Monday (in 5 days) they will not allow me to work on the oxycontin and I really don't think I can function without it at this point.  Thanks to all of you for the posts, it was helpful reading, I will check with my doctor and see what the plan is for weaning me off of this stuff but I have a feeling either way that I will not be going back to work as soon as I thought. As for the rest of you, hang in there and good luck!
I've been taking oxycontin for about 4 months now..having the normal withdrawels as everyone else..but what im wondering is if it can affect your bladder..seems as though when I have to go to the bathroom..the muscles in my bladder just wont work..takes me along time to urinate..and thats after I wait until I really have to go. Any connections?? The highest I have done in a day is 100..never higher..and now im working to get off. I'm 23 so I'm kinda figuring its not my age..its only been happening for about 3 weeks now. Any comments please?
My shrink had me taking up to 30 mg. 2 times per day after several months of increasing doses of Oxycontin.  He raise it to 40 mg. day before yesterday,  and I woke with all over itching and extreme sleepiness, so he said that he finally agreed with me that this was not a good drug for me and that I could quit.  So last nite and today I have had none at his direction.  I did ask him about tapering off and he said that it was not necessary with this drug.  I have been weird all day.  If it gets bad I will go to an ER.  But after looking for the information like you have above, I am beginning to think that my continuing sleepiness, grogginess, jumpy legs, left side of brain feeling asleep even when I am up, etc. are some sort of withdrawal.  I need some advice.  If you have any, please write me.  Thanks
I hate to say this but your shrink is a moron.  It is obvious you are going through withdrawal.  The acute part lasts 3-4 days and then improves greatly.  You can ask the shrink for some meds to help but he sounds like he is too stupid to know what meds to provide.  If you have a regular doctor call and tell him/her what has happened and ask for some help.  Good luck.
Besides the depression factor in withdrawing from vicodine, what are the physical effects?  Today, I quit cold-turkey after almost a year of taking 5 tablets a day for a back injury and I feel as if my muscles are spasming and I have bumble-bees trapped in my body.  Is this common?  What can I do about it? Help?
I was started on 2 20's a day from my doctor for severe lower back pain.  after a year it is now 2 40's.  My doctor cut me off and I got really sick.  At first I thought it was the flu.  I was really that ignorant.  Than I found someone who had a 20 and when I took it I felt 110% better.  That day I realized oxys are the devil.  The only guy I know who get them rips me off so bad I am going broke trying to stay healthy.  I know I shouldnt but can anyone help me find a decent amount to ween off with?
I am also self motivated to detox off Oxycontin 20mg twice a day.  Dr.s said I could go back to work full time after lower back fusion 8 months ago.  I decided to see what I felt like before sign off on workers comp.  I tried going down to 10 mg twice a day for three days, then just a couple of 5mg Oxycodone when I just couldn't stand the pain.  I too started have terrible pain in my kneecaps. they said condrol Malasia?  Never had  knee trouble before in my life. My legs jump, twitches, I use Ambian for sleep. Even with that it is hard to sleep.  No energy, depressed, all of the normal withdrawal stuff. But possible January back to work date I feel I must find out how my body really feels without the pain meds.  So far the pain of the detox is the prime source of pain.  My two level fusion gives me a feeling of dull discomfort. A pulling, a lose of range of motion, but NOT PAIN. At least not at a level that I would normally feel would require such stron medication.  
     Yes it is uncomfortable, No it is not the worst thing ever, the end result is to be free of the drug. Again in control of my emotional and energy cycles. My Dr. said takes about a month to really feel right again. OK that's doable.
     So from a 58/F/5'4""/200 lbs. I am hoping that once off the meds I will have the energy to exercise again and lose the 40 lbs I gained during this whole injury. I feel terrible but since there is a visable end to the discomfort in a few days or a week or so I am just watching a lot of TV, putting the laundry in a bag. checking my mail ever so often and waiting for my life to resume. Hang in there You can do it.

I don't know much about Oxycontin, have never taken it and had no idea how addictive and dangerous it is until yesterday, when I learned that a friend of mine died during his withdrawal from the drug.  Apparently, he was taking it recreationally - meaning he had no underlying injury - snorting it, maybe shooting it up, we are not sure. He finally determined to get off of it, and was experiencing the withdrawals all of your posts are discussing. Like I said, I was completely clueless - just thought it was another pain pill like percoset or something.

Anyway, at this point, we're not sure exactly how he died. I heard that he tried to reach out to a friend of his who was in the same boat to get some of the "anti-withdrawal" medicine I saw mentioned in some of your posts, but she turned him away. He was left alone for just and hour or two while his family went to get some dinner. When they returned, he was dead.  Does anyone know what could have happened? Could the withdrawal alone kill you? Do you think perhaps he took something else to ease his symptoms during the withdrawal - we know there was Xanax in the house - and just ODed?  

I am so sad for his family. I feel like his death was a waste of a life with great potential.  However, I have learned something new and important about a very dangerous and addicitive narcotic. In particular, I have learned about the very real physical component of this particular addition. It makes me angry. I read one post about someone being prescribed Oxycontin by a pyschiatrist!?!  For what possible reason?!? That is a travesty!  I also read one post in which the poster described himself as accident prone. I am that way, too. I am also starting to have back trouble at 36 years old. However, after reading your posts and knowing what happened to my friend (and knowing my own "addictive" personality), I will make sure never to let myself be prescribed such a dangerous drug.

Additionally, knowing what a stong guy my friend was, I give you all alot of credit for trying to get off of Oxtcontin and (to the extent I can) I appreciate how difficult it must be for you to do so. Maybe this story will help inspire in that you know what could happen if you continue down the road of addiction. But, I'm sure you know that already. Importantly, I believe you all have taken a step in the right direction by talking about it in this forum. I hope you all hang in there and I wish you the best of luck in your fight.
I was severely addicted to Oxy COntin. When I say severely I mean, I was taking about 1200 to 1600 mgs a day. I could eat almost 16 80's in one day. My withdrawal was something fierce. It took almost 2 months for me to feel somewhat normal when I first quit. Anyway, I lost my husband to an Oxy Contin overdose. And recently another friend to an overdose. I can tell you that your friend may not have died from withdrawal. Withdrawl (withdrawal), althought it feels like you are dying, is not life threatening at all. If your friend was taking something else that could be what killed him. Also, when you are in withdrawl (withdrawal) and it has been a few days, and you decide you can't take it anymore an go to get more pills, and take your normal dose, you can overdose. Maybe this is what happened. I am not postive as I am not a dr. but I am pretty sure that w/d from Oxy's is not life threatening. I do know that w/d from Zanax can cause seizures. So was your friend taking that?

I hope that you are ok and I will pray for you and your friends family....

Take Care...

Lisa
I  just wanted to say hi to all. I am a recovering oxycontin addict and right now I am going through the withdrawals.It is hell. All I want is to feel better and be the person I used to be before I took these devil pills. I have been taking 160mg of oxycontin for about a year and I told myslef I was gonna quit asap. So now I'm on day 2 and you all know how I feel. Going throughout the day feeling like I have the flu sucks but isn't the worst. It's the insomnia that gets me down on myself. What can I do to let myslef sleep normal? I have a girlfriend that really cares about me and I moved out of town to be with her and get away from those awful pills, My new job starts in 5 days and I'm worried I won't be in good enough shape to work. Can anybody recommend a rapid detox that will get me back on my feet? Pray for me
I pray for you, as I am on 120 mg daily for c6-7 radiculopathy post-surgical fusion and spinal corpectomy.
It takes months to come down fom 160 mg daily dosage, and then with symtpoms ranging from mental lapses to skin burning to diarrhea and more. It is doable but not in your timeframe.
You will end up in the hospital if you try to make a Monday deadline. 6-10 weeks minimum.
Good luck.
I have a friend who is in a similar situation.  She has had back pain for several years and has reached a level where she takes 12 80's per day.  I would be interested in the process you went through to reduce the amount you were taking.  Her Dr. just recently cut her back 160 mgs per day, and plans to reduce her even more.  I am wondering if this is too fast and what would be an appropriate amount and time frame to reduce.  Thanks for any information you can provide.   Bill  
I have been on oxycontin for the past seven years for lower back pain (l5 S1 fused after an auto accident). The fusion failed and have been taking 40mg twice daily.  I am now on my fourth day of stopping.  The first three days I bit the pill in half (I noticed in the forum that doing that is not advised).  Now I am starting the first pill of 10mg for three days.  Then three days of 5mg.  Has anyone done this and if so how long will I experience withdrawals? Any news would be helpful..Thanks...
Like a poster said earlier,I beleive it's more of a mental thing at one point then a physical.For me I just want to feel well enough to get out of THE DAGGONE BED!!!

My doc's been tapering me also,though it's been horrible,and yes,I'm still screwing up,what I DO NOTICE,and this is terrible to say because the only reason why I know this is BECAUSE I AM screwing up,the W/D symptoms are less the lower your dose.At least that's what I've noticed.I'll be praying for you and I need them also as I'm right in the middle of my own personal hurricane also.Good Luck!
i am coming off lortab , i have taken all doses i did not care i just had to take it to deal with back pain , but it got out of control i take 20 to 30mg 4x a day i am trying to tapper it off but it is rough, please let me know what can help i really want off this med , my back will just have to hurt i feel like i am killing myself at 38 with this stuff  thanks ....good luck to us all
I am in the same situation on oxycontin, I have been on for 4 years and have gone from 200 mg per day tapered myself down to 80. I agree with other blogs that the withdrawals were definitely worst coming down from higher doses that they are now at lower doses. Then my doc said I have to come off all together. He gave me a plan to taper using 10mgs using a short period of time but I still had some 20mgs left so I used those and the 10mgs but ran out.  I had a crisis in my family which caused two weeks for me to not concentrate on tapering but when I told him that he just said basically said too bad you can't use this as a crutch to solve your problems..he gave another 60 10mgs and said that's it.  I tried acupucture last week 3 times for the addiction but I can't really say I notice a difference at $170.00 later. I think I will try to taper down more and then try it again. I was addicted Percs before (10 pills per day) as I have RA and the same doctor cut me off cold turkey without warning one day because my pharmacy called to check on the prescription and it made him mad.  That was definitely the worst week of my life.  I can honestly say after the detox of one week I was glad it was over and had my life back.  I have read on this forum about a drug called buprenorphine that is supposed to help with the withdrawal of opiod addiction.  I am going back to see if he will prescribe this for me as my fear is at work I can't function.  I do believe this forum is very helpful to hear everyones story and you know you are not alone.....I agree with Broox with the insomnia is the worst..I am only tapering from 50 mg per day and been taking 30 per day but have not slept in three days...  I need help with being able to sleep it off.  On a different blog that I do not see here there was a thing called the Thomas Recipe that seemed to help alot of people.  I took a copy yesterday so if you want it let me know.    Keep up the good work everyone and know you are not alone.
my boyfrind was addicted to oxy's he used to take sometimes up to 8/80's a day crushing and snorting them.  I was going to leave him when I found out because he was stealing money and detroying our lives because of his addiction.  He gave me all the drugs he said he had and asked me to ween him off them slowly.  He was very sick for a couple weeks.  Now he has no more pills to take.  At least thats what he's telling me but he feels better somedays, somedays he seems worse, he's extremely moody and I'm afraid he's still taking pills.  Is it normal to be fine for a few days but still get sick a lot.  He still throws up a lot ofter he tries to eat,  yet he seems to make it through work alright and he has to be physically active when he's there.  Is this normal or does this seem like he's still taking pills to get through work and not when he's at home making him sick.  I want to believe he's not taking any drugs but I am having a real hard time trusting him, how long does it take for the withdrawal symptoms to completely go away?
Hi Kristy, i just started to use this forum myself and found out you need to post your question at the very top and then you will receive alot of wonderful responses.  This thread is from 2000 and had posted my story but when i read somewhere else how to use this then i received the most wonderful support and answers from people going through this or already detoxed and clean.

You need to go back to the beginning and at the top where it says post a question put your same info in and you will get alot of support..i promise...they got me to this point.  I am on day 4 of cold turkey and the support i received here was priceless.  If you have trouble finding it let me know i will check back.
Hi everyone, I am posting this same message on every Oxycontin forum I can find..........

I'm new to these forums, due unfortunately to the worst weekend of my entire life.
This drug (Oxycontin is a monster!!!! Get off it as soon as you can.
I have suffered chronic back pain for the past 10 months. The pain is almost unbearable at times.
After all else failed, my GP prescribed me 40mg oxycontin daily.
Wonder of wonders!!! they worked and I was almost pain free for a couple of weeks.
After 6 weeks, they didn't work so well, and I was on the brink of going back to the GP to have my dose increased.
A few wees ago, I ran out and ordered an emergency prescription.
Cutting a very long story short, my husband forgot to pick up the prescription so I had to wait and go without the drug all weekend.
Within 24 hours I was shaking, couldn't breathe, coughing, shivers chills the lot.
Basically, I realised I was suffering withdrawal symptoms.
I had the worst weekend of my life and have never felt so ill.
If I had an oxycontin in the house, I would have taken the damn think to make me feel better nd for these awful symptoms to go away.
While checking the withdrawal symptoms for the monster drug, I came across an old forum linked to this site, full of what I can only describe as a forum of ' lost souls'
Mostly all very genuine people like me, normal housewives, and husbands who were not drug abusers, but given oxycontin for genuine back pain.
They were all pitifully addicted to this drug and had no hope of getting off it.
Their lives were in ruins and they had no hope.
The withdrawal symptoms that hit me after 6 shorts weeks of use, were monsterous.
These poor lost souls were on a higher dose than me, and had no hope of quitting.

Needless to say, after doing my cold turkey, I have not gone back on the tablets and am suffering terribly again and my quality of life is zero sometimes.

Please please stop taking Oxycontin if you can.... it's a monster drug and highly addictive.
Don't end up suffering like me and the forum of lost souls.
I sencerely hope you all manage to find some alternative.
Kindest regards
Layne

p.s. My advice to anyone coming off this drug, is to cut down very gradually. Do not just stop taking it like I did. The withdrawal effects are horrendous!!!
I have been taking pecocet (percocet) 10/325 mg for over 3 years.  I am perscibed 4 tablets per day. (40mg) Which was way more than I needed.  However, now I am taking between 80-100mg per day. I know your wondering how I've been able to do this.  Well, my methods have been extemely deceptive let me tell you.  My husband is also perscribed the same exact perscription each month(120 pills) however, he only thinks he is prescribed 90 because he works out of town, I always pick it up and I change the lable.  He only takes maybe 1/2 to 1 pill per day.  At one point I ran out and the moody me and the diareah and body aches began immediately.  After that I had my husband lock them in a safe and only give me 4 per day.  2 days later I took the safe to a lock smith and had a key made.(8 months ago) Well he is finally on to me and now takes all but 4 with him to work, so no way can I do what I've been doing.  The problem is, I think I am going thru withdrawl (withdrawal) already and I am still taking the 4, today 5 pills.  Is this possible?  If I tell my husband that I am having withdrawl (withdrawal), he will certainly wonder how that is possible.  Nobody knows about this problem.  I have 3 children, a great career and a huge fear of coming off these suckers all together.  When I am on them, I feel great and am full of energy.  Of course I guess I am an addict.  I stay up till all hours of the night and my sex life is almost nonexistant.  I started taking all these pills a few months after a hysterectomy and I am not sure if the disinterest in sex comes from that or the pills.  I am a mess I guess.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  My biggest fear is the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms if I come off all together. Can they be avoided?  I can't believe I have done this to myself!
this thread will more than likely get overlooked due to the date on the original post... please re post this on the main page so that it doesn't get missed.. click back to forum then click post a question.

Its very possible that your tolerance has grown and you are now having withdrawals at 4 per day. this can happen when our doses go all over the place and are not consistant. pills do zap your sex life. i have been clean for almost 4 months and mine is still gone..
there really is no way to avoid withdrawals, you can slowly taper and minimize them or you can go to a detox and have them get you off the pills with medical help. that is really the only way to attempt to avoid them.
Do you really wanna quit?? Have the pills caused you enough pain and heartache?? you really should come clean to your husband, you will need support to get through this if you do want to quit.
hey there!  yes, more than likely you are going thru w/drawals, especially w/the symptoms you stated when u didn't have them ... and right now basically you just have to take them so you don't go thru w/drawals .. as addicts we do all kinds of stupid stuff that we would not normally do, unfortunatly .. you could taper yourself down from them, which is fairly easy to do and the w/d's are somewhat minimal, better than going c/t.  there is another drug that prevents the w/d's all together .. it is called suboxone .. not sure if you've heard of it or not .. but you can get info on it and find a dr in your area by putting in your zip code .. www.suboxone.com or www.naabt.org .. not all dr's can prescribe this and most visits are not covd by ins ... usually covd by your presc. ins.

I totally understand where you are .. ihave 3 kids myself and it wz sooo hard to get up and function w/out my pills .. i planned my days, weekends, life around them .. you will get what is like a flu but usually alot worse, with diarhea (diarrhea), restless legs, chills, fever, vomitting .. so you'll need to be down for at least a wk sometimes ... anyways, there are plenty of people to help you here .. if you post a question to FLADDICT she is very knowlegable w/doing tapering plans...i hope you figure out what you need to do .. keep posting and let us know how you are doing ... have a good nite~
My husband knows that I am "physically dependent" he just doesn't know how much I really take. I guess i do want to quit, I'm just at a point where I know I need to but it seems like a huge struggle.  My head says quit, but my body says no freaking way.  I function very normally, take the kids to school, go to work make dinner keep a very nice home, do homework, baseball, softball shop, travel everything, just not without my pills.  I know I sound like I am talking myself out of stopping and to a degree thats true.  Obviously I know something has to change, or I wouldn't have logged on here.  I really appreciate everything you have written to everyone.  It does make me think maybe I can do this.
Thanks for your comments!!  I am trying to taper.  I will definitely let you know how it goes.  By the way, do you take this stuff, or have you been able to stop?
hi .. yes, i do  take suboxone and for me it was the best decision i ever made. the first day on them after going thru one day of w/d's, i felt the best i had felt in years .. you can be on it by doing a rapid detox, which is 10-14 days mabe and be tapered down w/minimal w/drawals .. i've been on it for a little while now but that is my choice that i've talked w/my dr ,,, everyone is different on how long they need to be on it for ... i hear short term is the best way .. i k now you probably don't want to trade one drug for another, but it really does help .. there are quite a few out here who take it also
Thank you guys sooo much for trying to help me.  This trying to stop thing has been a very difficult decision for me.  I did take your advice and told my husband everything and as you suspected, he was really understanding, and wants me off these nasty little beasts too.  I have heard of the suboxone, and will do some research on it when I am done here.  Maybe you could tell me a little more about it.  Is it a narcotic as well?  Is it also addictive?  Hilary, you said after one day of withdrawl (withdrawal) you began taking it and felt better than ever.  Why?  what did you feel like?  The percocet gives me a ton of energy, does the suboxone help with that? because when I don't take the percocet I feel like I have no energy? and with 3 children, a full time job in outside sales, baseball, taxiing kids at least 5 days per week, I need energy!!  A lot of questions I know, I'm sorry~  Mainly, the addictive and narcotic questions are what I NEED to know.

Cudos to you guys for everything that you have been able to overcome.  I hope one day I will be off these things and able to help some poor lost hopeless soul like me.
Seriously... Thank you.  I found this site yesterday, and because of it, I feel stronger about stopping than ever before. I have only taken 50mg today, instead of 80.  I know its not that big of a difference, but it feels like it to me.
About Sub, yes its an opiate. its a partial agonist opiate which means it fills the opiate receptors but does not produce a euphoria or high like full agonists like oxy vicodin or heroin. by doing this it stops most withdrawal symptoms but it has a ceiling effect so that if you take more of it it will not get you any different of a feeling, however higher doses produce more dependency, so you should only take what you really need to in order to stay out of withdrawals and to taper off the sub.  i did tons of research on sub and read patients experiences and the running theme is "less is more" that means the lowest dose possible and the shortest time possible on it will produce the best results and less chance of having withdrawal from the Sub as well.. myself and a few others here did a taper with Sub in less than 2- 3 weeks. I have now been clean for almost 4 months now. And the others are all still clean as well. If you do a search for Sub on this site I have posted tons of info including what your doctor won't tell you.
great job on cutting down it does make a big difference.. if you need anything please don't hesitate
Thank you for the info, I will definitely search what you have posted.  I really do appreciate you responding to me.  It truly helps.  Congratulations on your 4 months.  I can't wait until I can say that too.  If you stop taking the sub without tapering, are the symptoms the same as with oxy??  If I were to let my perscription run out and try to do this "cold turkery" how bad will it be? or do you think thats a really bad idea?  Do you have to taper off of the oxy before you use the sub, or do you just trade one for the other?
This is my first time writing... I am actually typing through tears as I finally came to the realization that I am totally addicted to oxycontin.  I thought I was hit with a terrible flu for the last ten days.  The weird thing was, the only real symptoms I had were terrible night sweats and chills- about 20 times a night and no energy.  This is the first time in my career that I have taken more than one day off work at a time.  In total this week, I've only worked 2 days.  I went to my Doctor and had her do blood work looking for a virus, etc.  The lab phoned me that night to say there were no abnormalities in my blood.  The next day I went to a Chinese doctor for acupuncture and herbs.  That night the severe diarehea set in.  The only reason I made it to work yesterday is because my supplier is a client of mine, lives out of town and only comes to where I live about every ten days.  I started using percocet for chronic migraines when I was a teenager.  So when oxycontin was introduced to me this summer, I thought it was fabulous.  I loved the high it gave me.  My most abuseful day has been 4 80mg/day for five days.  When I think of all the money I have spent in so little time, I am ashamed.  I initially told myself I was treating myself to something that gave me immediate satisfaction.  Well, I got home from work last night and thought I'd take a pill because I felt so bad with the flu and deserved a break.  All my symptoms vanished.  That's when I knew.  How could I be so stupid?  Now I am terrified and need some support because I can't miss any more work and can't let myself go through such severe withdrawl (withdrawal) again.  I am determined to never buy this drug again, but I am scared to death of the horrible withdrawl (withdrawal) that I just endured.  Everyone who loves me is so concerned and willing to help with my "flu" so now I'm racked with guilt also.  There is a methadone clinic near my home but they aren't open until Monday and I am so grateful to be able to write to you.  My dirty secret is killing me and making me crazy.  I am dying to tell my Mom, or my family doctor, but I don't dare.
Do you think that if I gradually leasen the dose I can make the withdrawl (withdrawal) less severe?  Do you know if methadone helps withdrawl (withdrawal)?    I am really scared, ashamed, and hating myself right now.  I am desperate for a bit of support from anyone, please.  I just need to know that I can get through this and that if I don't quit cold turkey [ 2 80mg/day to nothing] but more gradually I won't get so sick.  Could you please, please be so kind to advise me?  I am so alone in this.  I just CANNOT go to anyone I know to talk to as I am so ashamed and scared.
Thank-you so much.
Believe me when I say you are NOT alone. Many people with in this forum can and do understand and sympathize. My recommendation to you is to start a new thread title to let people know that you are here and that you need help and support. The one you posted in began in 2000 and many might not read it because of this. My heart goes out to you and I also want to mention that I have read in many places here that methadone is not the answer. There are better drugs on the market today that do not cause such a dependence and cn be taken for shorter periods of time. Have you gone through and read some of the other posts on the previous page? I think you will find alot of answers and support. I know I have. You can also click on anyone name that is in blue and send then a direct message. I hope this helps!
Thank-you so much for your response.  It means so much to me to have someone to talk to as I mentioned that I am feeling terrified and alone.  
I stayed up all night researching answers to this problem and I realized that because I live in Canada, I'm out of luck in terms of drugs available here.  I read a lot about suboxone and would want to use it as it seems like the best way to minimize withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.  The only way I could get it is to go to rehab in the States.  As I mentioned, I CANNOT let this problem interfere with my work ever again.  I have vowed to myself that this terrible week has not been in vain;  that I had to go through this to realize and accept the serverity of my problem.  I have rationed the last of my pills over a 10 day time line with the dose decreasing ever-so slowly until hopefully, I can quit without the agony I went through doing it cold turkey.  I intend to go to the methadone clinic in my neighborhood to at least get some advice from the doctor there.  I can't bring myself to confide in my family doctor.
The reason I posted this openly instead of directlly to you is that I'm hoping there is someone out there in Canada who can offer some advice, support, or sollutions.
Again, I thank-you from the bottom of my heart.  The fact that you would take the time to talk to me touches me greatly and I hope to keep paying it forward.  I wish you success and good health. Good luck, I know you can do it.
your story is almost identical to mine. i was up to 240mg of oxy/day. it is very frightening to think of running out and going through the withdrawal. the taper will work, eventually. trust me, my recovery off of these is fairly recent and you know what? i do not have to wake up in the morning thinking of how many pills i have left. the first thing i think of is how much better i feel. no diarrhea, no watery eyes and nose before chewing the little suckers. i am almost normal again. i am so convinced that this is mind over matter that i am 100% sure that i would throw one away if it were laying in front of me. i know this sounds impossible, i have been where you are and for the very same reason, i wanted the energy. that comes back with time, food and exercise, none of which i was doing for myself. take a good look at some of your pictures of yourself while you are on the meds. then look at some before, i think you may see a difference. they trash your body honey. we feel good, but the truth is they are killing us. hang in there, you can do this. with the help of the people on this site it can be done. you can leave the guilt at the door. we all understand how you feel. by the way, everyone is different, i thought about suboxone in my frantic terror and decided not to trade. it was the best decision i made for me. that is just me though.
When I started to feel "normal" again last night after getting more oxy into my system,  I was horrified at the thought of staying home from work for my "mystery illness".  I was sure that today would be one of the worst in my life;  I have a very strong work ethic and have spent the last 12 years building my career. To imagine letting drugs get that close to destroying everything I've worked for made me sick.  But you know what?  I am begining to believe everything happens for a reason.  The compassion and kindness I have received today has made an impact on me that will stay with me for the rest of my life.  I am so grateful to everyone who has taken their time to share and really GIVE ME HOPE.  I am convinced that with determination, trying to drop my dosages slowly, getting some advice from the methadone clinic physician, and most importantly, communicating with all of the generous people on this site, that I WILL kick this thing and be able to do it with dignity.
How did you work the taper?  Is there anything I should know or is there anything that anyone can suggest that might help?  I have so may social engagements next week, a wedding to attend the following week, etc., and I'm panicking that I'm going to feel as awful as I felt this week going cold turkey.
I realize I'm just repeating myself now, but I'm a bit stir crazy and feeling guilty [there's that word again] for feeling good having the drug in me.
I know people have been so giving already, but any more words of advice, stories to share, techniques are so appreciated.
As crazy as this sounds, I am honoured to be part of this discussion.  
By the way, I just watched a documentary called, "Hillbilly Heroine" on CBC.  I feel like the universe is conspiring to tell me that we can all beat this addiction.  I know that I will never live the life I want as long as I continue to use.  Having a dirty little secret is the worst feeling in the world.
1234betterlife, you have impacted my life in such a great way today.  For that, I thank-you so very much.  I wish you all the best-happiness, success, health, and freedom from addiction.
I feel like a needy, desperate person today and would appreciate ANY stories from ANYONE.  Whether it's about the struggle or advice on tapering... I'll listen to anyone right now.  My dirty secret feels like it is going to kill me.  It has already taken a huge part of my life.  I don't even remember how to be "me" without the oxy.  I am terrified that I won't be able to live without it.  I hope everyone out there is doing better than me.  If you are not, at least you are not alone.
Once you have crossed that line into full blown addiction, which I know I am a full blown addict, you are only as sick as your secrets. In my case, my secrets DO try to kill me. I think waht would do you a world of good right now is to find a NA or AA group near you and go to a meeting. I personally prefer NA. They can relate better to my situation with the pills. I think you need hug from someone who has been where you are and can tell you face to face "It is going to be okay!" Don't get me wrong, I love what I read on here but sometimes I need to hear someone say that to me. When I finally decide to get hones with people around me, that longing for human contact disappears because now I can actually let someone in and not feel so alone.

EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY!! Remember, you did not get this way over night and you won't get back to "normal" (whatever that may be) over night either!

XOXOXOXOXO
I thank-you from the bottom of my heart.
I am going to a movie with a bunch of people and it is so weird having this secret, but so helpful to have you to talk to.
I don't feel so alone anymore and I want you to know you have really made a difference in my life.
You are a good person and I hope you love yourself as much as you deserve.  Not everyone would take time to help a stranger, and this stranger is so grateful.
I look forward to keeping you updated on my RECOVERY because I know I can kick this thing.  Your support is impossble to define, but I feel it and it is helping me so much.
My situation and yours are so similar, its scary!  If you would like to contact me, my email is ***@****.  I would love to have someone to talk to that really understands, but like you, I am not willing to go to any type of support groups, for fear of being recoginized.  I would absolutely die if anyone found out about this horrible and what sometimes seems impossible situation.  If not, thats ok.  Good luck to you in all of this, I know it is very difficult.
I WISH 1 OF YOUR STORIES COULD BE AS SEVERE AS MINE HOWEVER I GUESS ITS JUST SOMETHING THAT WE CANNOT CONTROL ONCE YOU TAKE IT ITS GOT YOU THE QUESTION IS HOW STRONG DO YOU NEED TO BE COMING OFF 500 MG A DAY 240 TWICE EVERY 12
HOURS SO IMAGINE WHERE I AM AT PEOPLE. I ALSO HAVE LOTS OF OTHER PROBLEMS AND A SEIZURE DISORDER SO I WILL BE ON XANAX FOR LIFE WHICH SUCKS BUT I NEVER ****** IT UP LIKE I HAVE ****** THIS UP.  I PERSONALLY WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO GET OUT OF THIS AND DO ANYTHING TO BE BETTER WHICH I DO NOT BELIEVE IS IMPOSSIBLE. THE DRUG PHYSICALLY DOES HAVE A PULL ON YOU MOST PEOPLE COULD NOT CONTROL THE ADDICTION PROCESS HAPPENS SO FAST YOU DONT REALIZE REALITY UNTIL 5 YEARS LATER WHERE IM AT AND BE THAT HAPPY LIVING THIS LIFE IS WAY MORE THEN MISERY IT IS EVIL AND SO IS THE DRUG I CRY FOR HELP AND SINCERALY PRAY YOU ALL MAKE IT AND I ALSO MAKE IT.  however this stuff just kills you and it will take your soul if you let it.  I will never let it take mine i dont know how physically but i am fighting and wont stop until its over take a minute to know how scared you really are when you realize whats going to happen to you.and how deep it has you until you know inside you have absolutely no control.
May God bless all of you, I feel your pain but  you will overcome all of your fears and dependency of this evil  drug. oxycodone should have never beem out for Dr's to prescribe like if it is candy,

I will be praying for all,remember God loves you
I am aso from Canada and am just starting to taper.  i've never been so scared in all of my life.  I cannot believe how fast this all got out of control
You all have me scared, I have been on oxy 40mg 2x a day for the last 4 days for a back injury. I am off them starting today, am I going to have withdrawl (withdrawal) symtoms (symptoms)? last dose was 8pm last night.
He guys---

This post was started 7 years ago. It will go right back to archives in a short time. If either of you wish to start your own post, go to the top of this page and hit the "post a question" button. Follow the instructions. Hope to see you in the forum!!!
As a result of chronic pain from a bulged disk in my neck I was prescribed Oxycontin and ended up taking the medication for almost seven months up to 120mg per day.  It has been almost 12 days without any Oxy in my system and I still have trouble sleeping.  However, I wanted to let everyone know that my withdrawals would have been much worse without accupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine.  I had accupuncture treatments almost every day for a week and was given Milk Thistle (3 capsules twice a day) and an herb called Calm ES (5 capusles three times a day).  Also, make sure to eat and drink healthy organic foods like garlic, beets, carrot juice, lemon water, high protein low fat foods like fish, etc.  The Liver is key to recovering quickly and with less pain.  The foods mentioned above will help detoxify the liver and body.  Also, believe it or not exercise will help when able...do not push too hard though.  Epsom salt baths will also help the detoxification process and assist in relaxation.  Don't get me wrong the withdrawal was still difficult: I lost 15 pounds in a week, stomach cramps, shakes, sensitivity to light, insomnia, loose stringy bowel movements, chills, sneezing, etc.  I had to stop taking the medication almost immediately due to the fact that it was inducing panic attacks so keep in mind that I was able to stop almost cold turkey with accupuncture, diet, exercise, support from friends and family, and a lot of praying and the worst was over in about a week.  Of course everyone is different, but I'm absolutely convinced that accupuncture made the whole process ten times easier and less painful.  It is recommended to find an experienced, licensed accupuncturist who has helped many people with addictions.  Please know that I am only sharing my personal experience in the hopes that it might help others.  Please make sure that you talk to your doctor before trying to get off the medication as there is a chance that you can have sizures if you stop too fast.  Also, some of the foods and herbs mentioned above might not be good for some people so talk to your doctor first.  God bless and Merry Christmas.
Post Script:

As I'm sure you all know, Oxycontin is an evil medication I believe should only be allowed for terminal cancer patients with chronic, excruciating pain and/or others that have chronic, excruciating pain and no other alternatives like massage, electrotherapy, surgery, etc.  This medication slowly changed me into a different person...I became very irritable, angry, unmotivated, depressed, and numb to life.  Finally, in the end my body couldn't filter the medication anymore and it caused me to have the panic attacks I mentioned above.  Now, I feel like a new man ready to take on the world again...my senses are no longer dulled and everything seems to be much more vibrant and vivid.  There is hope and with perseverance you can get through this ordeal and get your life back.  Again, God bless, good luck, and Merry Christmas!
hi everyone, as you all know withdrawing from oxycontin and other opiate medication is sorry. at first i was on ten 5 mg percocets per day for one year, then the second year of my addiction i went up to ten 40 mg oxycontin per day. so can u imagine withdrawing from 400 mg of oxycodone per day? It is horrendoius, restless legs and arm, flu like symptom, cold sweats and chills. This addiction took my life, family, and bank account. One day I said F**K this S**T i want my life back. The first and second day u have no energy and cannot sleep with cold symptoms. the 3rd and 4th day u still cannot sleep with aching pains all over and joint creak everytime u moved, still felt sick and craving for food is not there, the 5th day is worst as your body is like a civil war with not knowing what side to choose. the 6th day u cam somewhat sleep and start to feel better, OK I AM GONNA SHARE A LITTLE BIT OF SECRETS WITH U ABOUT WITHDRAWING AND DETOXICFICATION. IF YOU CAN GET A ACCUPUNTURE 3 TO 4 FOR THE MONTH YOU ARE CLEAN,AS THIS WILL HELP WITH WITHDRAWS. EAT GOOD WHOLESOME FOOD AS MUCH AS AS POSSIBLE,FRUITS AND VEGETABLES, WHOLE GRAIN RICE AND BREADS, TURKEY BREAST,CHICKEN BREAST. SALMON, AND LOTS OF FRUIT JUICES.ALSO AT NIGHT FOR THE FIRST MONTH OF WITHDRAWING TAKE AND 2-3 HITS OF HIGH QUALITY MARIJUANA AS THIS WITH SOMEWHAT HELP WITH INSOMNIA AND MENTAL ISSUES. ALSO TAKE YOUR VITAMINS AND PLENTY OF WATER TO DETOXIFY.
Thank-you all for your post, i just started oxy 30mg. about 3 weeks ago and right now im at the point i love them. They give me so much energy, and happiness, my house is spotless and i dont even mind going to work, however I too was naive and quit taking them for two days, i was so sick i lost time at work, i had no idea it was withdrawls, or i just would have taken another pill, so i wont let that happen again, never run out or stop taking, i also took another one appromately 2 hours after i already took one, and it made me nod, I wont do that again, but from reading your forum I am getting scared, I love these pills and how they make me feel and act. So far i feel in control and don't want to stop taking them, are you all saying that eventually they will begin to control me. How will this work, will i want to take more then just my 3 i allow myself, because I get up at 5 a.m. take one at 6 wait at least 5 hours and take another one, then one more when i get home from work, so i clean the house, then i eat dinner and go to bed, happy knowing i get to have a pill when i wake up, I'm at the point I never want to stop taking them, not only out of fear of the withdrawl (withdrawal) symtons, but mostly because i like the way they make me function at work and home. Im sure you all probably started this way, but then they turn on you am i right. What signs should i look for when i'm getting out of control?  Im sure im probably addicted and dont even no it, but right now it works for me and when somethings not broke why fix it. Today's date is July 7th and my name is Tina, from Naples, Fl. I will keep in touch and let you hear about my progression into this monster diesease, maybe i won't be able to see it, but maybe all of you will, i'm grateful for all of you and your stories, and yes you have scared me, but I still don't want to quit. May i keep in touch with you all, or would you rather i didnt? Thanks for letting me share. All comments are appreciated. Thanks Tina.
You have posted on an old post. Please re-post in a new one. 'Post a Question' button at top.
I have been on pain meds of various kinds for 6.5 yrs know due to a broken back. Currently I am on 40oxycontin 10mscontin and endone for breakthroughpain. Last night I went into acute withdrawal, Found myself with diahrea and sweets. I found out today after spending the day on the toilet I may have caught gastro from another family menmber. My question is does anyone know if extended realease tablets are digested or become less effective if you have gastro.
I am in the process of tappering with the help of my doctor.  He is tappering me very slow I was also taking 120mg a day.  I am down to 60 mg.  It is so much easier to tapper if you have a good doctor to work with, as with mine he has given me 10 mlg pill for extrem withdrawl (withdrawal) systems.  I asked him how long it would take and his reply was at this dose you are on it will take about 8 months maybe longer.  I have not gone through any discomfort so far.  I would rather do it this way than suffer with extrem w/d.  like I said I have not felt any w/ds at all.  Due to the fact of the slow tapper I am on and yes maybe it will take 8 months to get off of this for good but I took it for 4 1/2 years so what is 8 months to be totally off the stuff for good.  Please contact your doctor and he will help you through this all doctors love to hear that you want to stop taking this med.  And will do all they can to help you.......Debbie
I just posted something on a related page here, and everytime I read more I am amazed.  I have only been on this drug for two months.  I have taken it exactly as prescribed, and only took 30mg 2x a day at most.  I am currently having a hard time with the tapering even at this dose.  I can't sleep. coughing, sneezing, and feel like I am going to jump out of my skin.  I never liked the way this drug made me feel...no psychological addiction.  Physically, my body needs it to sleep and function normally.  I am so annoyed because I was never told by the doctors invloved (ahead of time) about the possibility of an addiction, tapering off etc.  Now that I have informed them of the problem the tapered me down to 10mg a day (withdrawal symptoms the whole time), and told me I can now take 5mg of oxycodone instead (or 10 if necessary)...this is not helping.  Right now it is almost 2 a.m. and no signs of sleep.  I am just going to tough it out, because I refuse to continue to take a drug that is doing this much to me at this dose.
My doctor prescribed oxicotin 20mg 2x day - I've only been on it for two months.  Forgot to take it last night and woke up around 3am with sweats, bad dreams, and upset stomache.  Now I'm getting really scared!  Thought this would be a good way to put off inavitable neck surgery, but seeing how easy it was to go into withdrawal makes me want to get off this RIGHT NOW!  Can pills be cut in half and taper off that way?  Don't want to mess with going back to a doctor that put me on something this harsh so easily.  Please help, I don't like this at all!
well i started over a year ago a close friend was getting oxcodone 5mg and wow i snorted one with him and it maked me feel great I even had a cold i would take one and just woke me up and felt great..no I am scared i have spent alot of money i dont have and as u get addicted you feel the great high any more so i take 6 to 8 a day by snorting them and if your drinkng while on them you can pound the beer down, tappering and rebound back at times ,after long term use i have found the high is nothing like when you started , dont always feel good with them how should a tapper off these and how long
I used the fentenol patchs I just stuck one on my chest left it there for 3days.did that twices and it worked.Ive been taking 240ml per day for the past 3 years
it becomes the words time of your life when you are cut off abruptly...I did this to myself becauce I had sedretaties at my dr's office question how ai funtion with a child at home. It's sort of like they cut me off for a day, until my next appt, and Iused it to empower myself, and stop on my own.  I took a private amount for about 9 months due to severe nere damage due to chemotherapy.  It was a free-for-all as far as my dr is concerned, but the office, and once thepharmacy questioned my drug scripts.  

All in all, the dr is the one that is the pain manager...**** secretaries/pharmacists, but this 1 secretary  DID empower me...

Im on day 2 of abrupt withdrawal, so typing is a miracle.  I do  hae a child at home, and the paradox is that withdrawal itself is causing the disfunction.  Thank God for a great husband, and great parrents...

Best of luck to all of you, and btw, depression, and mental side effects can last months, but the wort of the physical are oer in 3-5 days...Just fwi...
I will try to condense this as much as I can. I have been taking narcotics for 7 years D/T Relex Sympathetic Dystrophy caused by a knee injury, and a few years later Fibromyalgia also set in. I have gone through all of the class 2 and class 3 narcotics, then when the RSD became very aggressive I was placed on the class 4's,Oxycontin and Dilaudid. I was taking 80mg Oxycontin every 8 hours, with 30mg Oxycodone 3 times daily as needed for breakthrough pain. So I took 330mg per day. After several years, narcotics (oral) were no longer working. Following the unsuccessful effects from a Spinal Cord Stimulator, my doctor suggested the implanted pain pump, which I agreed on and it was just implanted. After the pump was placed my dr.started weaning me off the oral meds in 5 day increments. I NEVER deviated from this schedule. He said I would experience some uncomfortable effects from the Oxy withdrawal, despite the accurate weaning. Uncomfortable is not the correct word to descrbe this!  I am so TIRED I can't hardly get out of bed. I ache ALL OVER, I'm jittery and nervose, it hurts to walk, my back hurts, I'm hearing things that are not there, I have urine retention, and I can't remember ANYTHING!!!!  He told me the withdrawal would not last long since we weaned the correct way and did not do "cold turkey," which I would not have done anyway! Well, it's been at least 3 weeks!  I AM VERY TIRED OF THIS!  How long does it take to go through withdrawal for gosh sakes? I guess it's probably a little different for each person but I can certainly see now how difficult it is for people to want to go through this! SH********!!!!!!!!!! So, how LONG does this last? (the side effects of withdrawal?). Appreciate any help at all. May God Bless you all!!!!.........                  
i suffer from neck injury. put on 20 x2 oxy. doctor took me off them 60 days ago. quit fror month.

bumped into friend he gave me a couple of 20's took one not even thinking.  5 days off use later.
stoping seams to be 10 times harder thinking of methedone.

not shure what to do.

david.   need input.    thanks
I am currently taking 200-240mg of oxycotin a day by snorting all but 1 pill, i know rediculous, but here is my question, i want to start eating them, and only 2 a day, is it possible, and what should i expect? I usually crush 3-4 in the morning when waking up, then a few more through the day and then a half of a 40 at bed, i would like to get to the point that i can eat one in the am and eat one at bed, i have never before consumed them properly, except for the 1 at lunch why i dont know,,,, but can this be done and again what should i expect and for how long, a friend says i wont be that sick as i am eating them so they will be in my system anyways and release slowly into the body,,,is he full of ****, or is he right???? any and all insight would be helpfull, please no referal to methadone, not interested and i dont have any idea where to find suboxin, i have tried.....thank-you
Hi can I firstly as a couple of questions. you say you are on 200-240mg per day are you on a prescription? I ask this because normally a Dr will prescribe a set amount per week. Secondly are they modified release tablets?? You say you don't know why you snort them but surely something or someone has led you to believe that snorting them is more effective? and lastly what condition a you taking them for
Always, this post is over 11 years old. The members you are speaking to are no longer active members. If you need a question answered regarding addition, please start your own post and active members here will respond. Take care.
do not ever chew them up.  you are bypassing the colon and the residual is going into your bladder.  I was at the point of sitting on the toilet in the middle of the night for sometimes 45 minutes trying to pee.  I WOULD DISGUSTEDLY GO BACK TO BED AN HAVE TO GET BACK UP WITHIN 10 MINUTES.  Bottom line is that pretty soon you nwill have the worst case of erictile dysfunction you can imagine.  
If you swallow them whole, beware, the constipation takes the place of the inability ot urinate.
This medication is the devil in disguise.  I hope there may soon be some kind of replacement for it.  I have tapered from 240 mg/day plus 30 mg of percocet down to 160 mg/day over the last two months.  Just get it into your head that you will no longer get any buzz and the battle is mostly won.  I have used oxy since they came out.  I am guessing 10 years or a little less.  It totally changed ,y personality and my life.  I was near a divorce from using it legally.  Start getting off now before it takes away everything that is good in your life.  It is worse than the pain.  
A horrible auto accident that nearly took my life was my wake-up call.  Now, at the time I need pain management the worst, I am taking less every week.
How are you doing since your last post? I feel for you. I went cold turkey in 2003, it lasted 3 weeks! Now again Im going thru detoxing. Started Tuesday from 4 15mg's oxycodone to 1/2 of one 15mg today. The days not over and neither are the withdrawals. Ill pray for your recovery. GOD BLESS!
My husband has been off of oxycodine for about 7 months now, he is still dealing with major withdrawal everyday of his life. He sees his doctor on a regular basis and keeps getting different pills subscribed to him to "help" but nothing seems to help.
I am at such a loss, I don't know how to deal with it anymore. He is constantly barking at me, is depressed all the time.  I know he is going through a lot but I don't know if I can live with this for the rest of my life.
Any suggestions on some help?   These symptoms of withdrawal are not just minor ones fyi
I took oxycotton 40 cut it in fourths and took at least one a day for 7 days. the first day I quit and tried to go to sleep at night and had restless legs real bad so I took a 5mg hydrocodone and slept fine. The next 3 days I took no pain pills and only slept maybe an hour total. I went to the doc today and was put on zoloft and a strong highly controlled sleeping pills and doesnt affect me at all. When can I sleep again. My body hurts so bad from no sleep
Sleep is one of the last withdrawal symptoms to subside. The good news is that it will come back. The bad news is it just takes time. After about a week of not taking any opiates you will start getting some sleep. Once I hit the three week mark I was getting around 6 hours a night. Once I hit 30 days I my sleep was back to normal. Just be sure you don't take anymore opiates as it will set you back.

You may want to start your own post as these older threads tend to get overlooked.

Hang in there.

Brian
Thanks the doctor bill for gettin sleepin pills was gettin expensive for none of them to work. I just cant believe only taking them for a week straight would do this to me. I really feel for the people who has taken them for years
I am in a similar situation. I was taking a similar amount of vicoprofen. I went cold turkey 8 days ago. The first 2 days were like the flu with hyperanxiety (not the end of the world though). Day 3 was pretty much almost back to normal and then I havent jones'd that much for them. I started taking ultram which i think is helping my pain. It does not give the euphoria feeling but has more of a steady take away of pain. Overall it was much better than i thought and feel like i have control over the pills versus them having control of me which i started to feel the last 4-6 months. GLTU
I am on day 4 of being off oxycodone 7.5 x2 8 pills a day. I was on them for 5that months and i feel horrible!!  I have a wonderful husband and family that keep encouraging me but this feeling of gloom wont go away and i want so bad to take a pill and be happy!!
I am in the UK so access to drugs to aid detox or other paon killers is limited, I am on a very high dose of oxycontin but have decided enough is enough. I have a severe spinal injury that cannot be operated on and I am stuck with it thanks to a cheap airline Ryan Air! However, I have learnt from experience that pain management techniques are very important when getting off the oxycontin. Try febrinacci in your head, search this on google and then try the maths in your head concentrating hard on it like this 1 plus 1 is 3, 3 plus 4 is 7, 7plus 8 is 15, 15 plus 9 is 24 and so on. Try small periods to start, concentating hard, make a note of how far you get and carry on from there next time. You'll be surprised where the time goes, how you forget the symtoms (symptoms) of detox and how strong you get. Another important tip, keep a journal, write down dosages and how you feel as the symptoms of detox can make you confused and you'll get dosages mixed up possibly, Take time on your journal as it again helps. Very importantly do not crush or chew the oxycontin tablets ever, its no good at all, also drink more water than normal as oxycontin is  removed from the body through urine, the more you drink the more it is flushed from the body. Think about other things rather than how you feel or what the detox is doing, try to exercise more, go for a walk look at your surroundings , take note of things write about them in your journal, Distract yourself but above all making your brain do mathematical exercises you'll be surprised how easy it gets and the benefits. Thank you all for the posts and good luck to all on your detox. Take care...
I am glad this forum has not closed. Reading all of the old posts makes me feel for these people, and I wonder what happened to them. Hello to the new posters, I hope you are still there. I saw someone ask a question about bladder problems, I have the exact same thing.
I was on Vicodin 10/660 2 pills 3 times per day for about 2 years. The original condition is almost gone and I know I can face the pain head on if I get off of this drug that is running my life. I thought it would be easier to withdraw from Oxycodone than from Vicodin, I don’t know why, and switched over to oxycodone 60 mg 4 times per day total of 240 mg per day for the past two months. I started with taking 30 mg twice per day, and it worked ok for about 2 days, and now it’s catching up with me. The withdraw is bad, so after reading on line how to taper, I put myself on 1 and ¾ tabs every 6 hours, then tomorrow evening switching to 1 ½ every 6, and then I will continue to wean from there, 5 mg at a time reduction and each time I reduce will keep on that for about 2 days, maybe if needed. I counted up all the milligrams necessary for my slacking off and then divided by 30 mg for how many pills I will need. I will be doing a lot of pill chopping. Turns out I have just about enough to do it. I may have to jump in the pool the last couple of days, but that’s ok, I do have some vacation time.
I read on here about a guy who said he was clueless, didn’t even know he was going through withdraw, that is how I was the first time, when my idiot doctor wanted to try me on fentanyl patch, so put me on the lowest milligram dose there is, pharmacy never heard of it, had to order it, wound up in ER, thought I was dying … that is how I learned about withdraw. My doctor would write me for whatever I asked for, as she was trying to build up a patient base, once she did that, she decided she doesn’t write for narcotics anymore, and that is it. I can get them from the street, but no way. I have been wanting to quit, so this just lights the fire to get it done. Do I wish my doctor all the Karma she has coming to her? Oh I sure do. Maybe she will get the flu and suffer along with me, LOL, she’s got it coming, but I am glad to be quitting.
I don’t get the usual affect from the narcotics that most people post about. I get the opposite. I get a speed kind of high that makes me feel alert like a pot of coffee with a zing. Even though I have this alert feeling, the drug is taking over my life. All of the side effects, the constipation, the intense itching all over, the bad taste in the mouth 24/7, having to live my life around the medication, it’s all just ruling my life and I want to be free of it, I want my life back again. I want to smell things again. I mean, I can smell now, but it’s not the same, Id ont’ really smell things, I don’t feel the essence in anything, it’s like quick get it over with and move on. No time to smell a rose, just move on move on. I can’t live like this anymore.
I will be using a chart to taper that I found on the internet someplace. If anyone wants it, let me know.
I will post my progress every day. I see this forum hangs around long. I can’t believe I am reading posts that are 12 years old. I wish some of the posters would come back in and let us know how their lives are now. In just 1 year I want to look back on this like a bad dream.
Thanks for listening,
Hugs,
Lilly
Hello sounds like most of u are in the USA So hello
Im from down under Australia and been on Oxycontin 80mg for 9YEARS yes 9 YEARS  started with 20mg then up and up it went and why you ask Ill tell u its because Doctors R bloody Drug dealers with a licence to deal drugs...  The biggest fear was if my doctor decided to quit or if he died or retired, where would that leave me then,, However 9 months later my doctor said he can not give me oxycontin his been in drama with the board so here i was thinking great get ready for the pain of withdrawl (withdrawal)..  But another doctor from the same surgery said he will take me on but he will only give me four 80mg tabs a day and i was on 8 a day so i thought **** withdrawl (withdrawal) coming soon.. but it never come and im still on 4 a day now and its been 2 weeks everyday 4 tabs for 2 weeks and im going cold turkey now as depending on this just ***** and it was 4pm yesterday i had last tablet and its now 205pm ive had no tablets and feeling ok im sweaty and it passes and yarwning alot and felt a little sick only lasted 2 mins the sick i mean only 2 min and ill post and let you know how i go for those that are interested  and for those that read this please try and get off them as my last 9 years has just passed fast and quick only way to do it is want to really want to and if you have a doubt that you cant or dont really want to then just dont quit it wont work,.. ill let you no...
Bull! Withdrawals from any narcotic can kill you! Plain and simple.
The variances among narcotic "opioids"(synthetics) and "opiates" (opium derived, possibly alkaloids) all have the same effect on your nervous system. They all: Stop the production of endorphins, neuropeptides that act as neuromodulators when taken long term. They also "burn out" opiate receptors. Endorphins (endogenous morphine) are the human body's natural form of opiates that act to modulate pain and many other functions. They are not in themselves neurotransmitters, but the modulate the actions of them in the body. Upon withdrawal of opiates and opioids your body can go into shock resulting in death. Also, With the absence of endorphins comes a compromised immune system. Basically, your immune system shuts down! Now you are left vulnerable to serious infection that could also result in death. Having a weakened immune system also raises your long term risk of cancer or disease from viruses/bacteria, etc. Theres virtually no difference between morphine, heroin, or oxycodone withdrawal, or from any other opiate at that. They all have differences in how they affect your body while taking them, but the one thing they all share in common, they all shut down your endorphin production, they all cause your endogenous opioid receptors to burnout, and they all can easily cause death upon withdrawal.  Endogenous just means "from within" or "self derived". There are other meanings, but these are the most describable.
I have been on Oxycontin 80gm for the first 4 years since my accident in dec 07,I was taking 2 80mg after my first neck fusion surgery in oct 2008,then continued taking 80 mg Oxycontin twice a day,then had my second surgery on my loswer back in nov 2009, continued taking 2 80 gm oxys but then they put polymer in it and it stopped working,switched to oxymophone 40mg 3times a day for 6 months,then they put polymer in that and it stopped working now i take 30 mg oxycodone 8 to 12 tabs a day,along with 2 mg zantax 4 times a day,Ive been on the 30's until this point,I want to quit so bad i cant stand the meds but i still need another back surgery in march 2013,I heard if you go cold turkey you can have seizures and several other serious problems,but since I've been on this stuff nearly 5 years Im terrified what will happen my wife is on 6 to 7 30's a day as well because she has gallbladder issues and has the defective bladder mesh inside her,she has had 2 surgeries and the pain is overwhelming,we are just so screwed I JUST WAN OUR LIVES BACK AND NOT DIE TRYING TO GET OFF THIS EVIL CRAP
I just wanted to say that this reply is correct.  I am now trying to taper off and its very hard to do and when it's forced upon you and someone tries to control the dose it is WAY worse for that person, trust me.  Please work with your wife and as long as she is not increasing the dose let her do it the best way possible.  It's has to be slowly!!!  Good luck