Oxycontin vs percocet
What is the difference between Oxycontin and percocet?  I mean, I know Oxycontin is slow release, but percocet is Oxycodone and how is that different from the Oxycontin?  I thought they were the same only, one was slow release and one was not, but there must be another difference... Right?
Well oxycontin is the main ingredient in percocet, however it's not in time released form. The difference is percocet has acetaminophen 325mg to be exact. Increasing the dosage of percocets is bad because of the acet. Alot of times doctors perscribe oxycontin, or roxicets.... because the patients stomach can't handle the acet. It's very hard on the stomach.
I hope that answers your question.
John
actually it is oxycodone that is the main ingredient... oxycontin is a brand name, means oxycodone continuous release (i think).

oxycontin is usually higer mg of the oxycodone because it has the extended release which is why addicts usually crush & snort or chew them to bypass that. it is true that percocet has more apap than the oxycontin or roxicodone but as far as the main ingredient 6 perc 5's are the same as a roxi 30 or 4 perc 10's are the same as an oxy 40.
Oxycontin is oxycodone hydrochloride. It is time release and should never be broken in half or quarters etc..because a fatal dose could be delivered.

Percocet, or its' generic Roxicet, contains oxycodone AND acetominophen(Tylenol).
It is not time release.

So...the difference is Oxycontin is much stronger and does not contain Tylenol; it is time release and is usually prescribed for use every 12 hours.

That said...this is a substance abuse forum. Are you having a problem?

V.