Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Oxycontin withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Oxycontin withdrawal

My husband is withdrawing from Oxycontin. He is on his 17th day. He went through the typical withdrawal symptoms the first week and is getting better everyday. However, he has these vomiting spells. Sometimes it's only once, other times, like last night, he goes on all night long. Is this normal withdrawal? He does have an extra sensitive stomach (perhaps from doing so many drugs) and vomiting isn't out of the ordinary for him. But I am concerned that maybe there is something more seriously wrong. Any feedback is welcome.

Also, I have been reading the posts about Oxy withdrawal and want to put in a few words. My husband has detoxed several times from various drugs. This last time it was oxy and it has been the hardest for him physically. The thing that is keeping him going, besides NA meetings and tremendous support from me, is EXERCISE. It has been mentioned in posts previously and I want to reinforce the idea that this can help so much! He can't wait to get home from work so that he can take a run or a bike ride and forget about his cravings and focus on something healthy and uplifting. He is feeling better about himself and has alot of hope for the future. So, anyone going through recovery, Excercise helps!
Although it is unusual to still have vomiting after 2 weeks from last use of a narcotic it is probably related.  Without knowing what other symptoms he may have along with the vomiting (such as a burning sensation in the chest or upper abdomen, etc.) it is not possible to know for sure whether he has some other problem causing the vomiting.  He should be checked out by his physician.
After 17 days he should have physically detoxed already.
Now is the hard part of staying off the stuff. I too have an oxy prob and have detoxed cold turkey many times. I ride my bike about 100 miles a week, it helps.

Good luck
I have been taking Oxycontin for four months for my back.  I have a tethered spinal cord with disc complications.  I have so many allergies to medication that the Oxycontin was the only resourse for my pain.  I am afraid of becoming addicted and have recently taken myself off for one full week with no with drawal effects. During that time I tried Ultram and it did nothing to help or relieve the pain.  So I went back to the Oxycontin. I currently take 20mgs twice a day with 800mgs of Ibuprofin twice a day.  It takes the edge off, for now.  The doctors have yet to decide their coarse of action. I am going to see a new Nero. Doctor on the 17th of October.  It is my hope that my prayers will be answered and that they can remedy the cause and the meds will no longer be needed.  If any of you have any information about the possibity of me getting addicted.  I would appreciate any and all replies.    10/6/00
I for one am one person who's scared of Oxy's.  I took them for 2 years for neuropothy in the brain stem.  Long story short, I became addicted to them, not everyone does, big difference between chemically dependent and addiction.  Your dose is low as compared to what I've seen.  It was alot harder for me to get off of but everyone's different. I started to take them more for the buzz than the pain.  There's a fairly new narcotic, I tried it for a while after the Oxy's and it worked pretty well.  I don't take any narc's now, and it was much easier to get off of. It's called Vicoprofen, combination of Vicoden and Ibuprofen, the combination is alittle easier on your stomach than Ibuprofen. I recently went to a pain management Dr..and I've been getting some kind of spinal injection blocks. I've only had 2, and so far I see a noticeable difference, and after 6 it's supposed to block all pain, than just 1 shot every 6 weeks.  Everyones different, you need to see what works for you.  I'm very paranoid about Oxy'x because by boyfriend got addicted, he was up to about 300mg of Oxy's a day recreationally, went through inhouse detox and support groups, but he says it's a monkey on his back, he can't get off.  It's changed his personality to the point, he has no life, and we're no longer together, his love for the drug, was stronger than his love for me.  If you can stay with your perscribed dose, you're doing great! Good luck with your Dr. take care, and God bless.
I am addicted to Oxycontin, I take like 4 80mgs at one time, I am so addicted that I want to kill myself. I tried to get off and I had stomach pain,vomiting,sweats,chills,headache,deppression(BAD),severe cravings,bones ache,knee caps hurt,lower back feels like it is rotting off,the stomache pain is the worst,diahrreah,I lost my children ,4 of them and then my husband gave up on me and left while I was sleeping to New Jersey. I am 23 living with my parents and my father and I shoot each other up, he started me on the needle. I am getting shot up in the neck cause I have no veins left and I am getting scarred badly. I will never get off these Oxys,if you want to give me some advise my email is ***@****

Thanks,
Samantha Chamberlin
I will try to e-mail you as soon as I can figure out why it's not working. Please call NA, you may need to call 800 directory assistance. It's going to be the hardest thing you'll ever do in your life, more painful than giving birth, but if you want to beat this demon, you can. NA will give you a list of names and numbers in your area, they will also give you some former addicts names and numbers, these people will call you back, and the best advice is from a recovering addict.  I've met people who were taking hundreds of mg a day of Oxy's and have been clean for years, but they all say the same thing, to get clean you need a support group for after care, and you need to stay connected, to meetings and a sponser.  I have never met so many people who are concerned and care about others. There are inhouse detox centers at all major hospitals. Whether you have insurance or not, they will help you.  My boyfriend had to be inhouse detoxed for 5 days, they used Methadone and Clonidin, and Trazadone.  Clonidine is to keep your blood pressure normal during withdrawals, so you don't get too anxious and the Trazadone will help you sleep.  The best way to detox is to have proffessional medical help, call your county hospital for a recomendation for an Addiction Psychiatrist, he will be able to perscribe the medications you need for withdrawal.  Severe depression is common, because the Oxycotin kills off your natural dopamine levels in the brain; dopamine is the pleasure scenors in the brain, that make you enjoy food, make you laugh, and makes you enjoy sex.  After continued use of Oxy's, which is an artifical dopamine., you can no longer take a pill to even get back up to normal.  Just imagine a straight horizontal line, when you take a narcotic, you go straight up over that line, but when you come off them, you fall below that line and need more next time to get to where you did with the first pill, and than the next time you fall even lower than you did before and so on.  When finally you can't even get up to where you started from. Once you are off the Oxy's, it can take a few months, your brain begins to manufacture dopamine again, but it takes patience.  Remember it took you awhile to get where you are now, it will take time to find your way back.  Relapse is common, but you just have to keep trying, 1 minute at a time, 1 hour at a time, and one day at a time.  But make some calls, you will be suprised at how much help is out there.  I wasn't much different than you, it took me to see what happened to my relationship and the fact that I was no longer mentally there for my kids for me to stop. It's been almost 5 months now clean. I've had some moments where I still want one, but I love my life too much now to go back. People are different, I had to disconnect from those friends, and associates that I would do drugs with, or got drugs from, they were too much of a reminder, and it would have been too easy to go back.  But God gave you life, and lifes way to short to ruin what you have, I'm almost twice your age and it took me almost 20 years of abuse to get where I am now.  You have alot of people on this forum who care about you and what you're going through, someone is always here. But help comes from within, with self love first, before you can give to someone else.  So take care of yourself first, and the rest will come.  God bless you
I am a 17 year old and addicted to OC's. Hmm
Im 21 and was released from the detox clinic around five weeks ago.  My stay at the clinic only lasted four days and three nights but it helped tremendously.  I took the physical aspect of the withdrawals with relative ease, but, the mental craving and desire is still very strong....I miss the buzz.  As far as your husbands vomiting goes, he should have stopped after 2 - 4 days.  I would guess his diet is greatly attributing to his sickness.
  My suggestion is that your husband consumes alot of proteins and carbs.  Because Oxycodeine, as with any codeine, strips your body and muscles of essential protein and sugars. This may be why he is so sick feeling all the time.
  I also suggest he goes to your family physician and lets him know of his stomach problems.  He will prescribe him some nerve pills like valium or xanax. That will help tremendously.  Give my advice a shot, because ive been there and I know how diet and nerves affect your well being after depriving your body of a drug that it has came to recognize as an essential nutrient.
im 31 and going through oxy withdrawls and its the hardest ive ever come off of. im 31 and ive taken every type of pain medicine out there. im suffering now but some of it was medically needed. i was 19 and i got diagnosed with spontaneous pnemothorax and it continued untill in 1994 i recieved surgery and i has a lobectomy done and that helped alot but i had just few instanses after that. im also suffering from depression. im only seeing black and living on the edge and the only reason i am here is GOD, i hope nobody ever has to suffer the darkness like me.
i have a lot of problems with my bones and neck etc. the oxys worked great when taken as perscribed but now the price of the meds has gone thru the roof 1000.00+ and my docter has followed suit 250.00 the last visit no cash no scripts no compastion they get you hooked and drive you broke just for killing the pain now i am going threw withdrawell and its horrible as is the pain this medication helped me greatly let me live somewhat a normall life now the pain is back with withdrawells. broke and disgusted in tampa advise dont let them hook you.then try and make you feel like a addict
I feel for you because I've been there.  I just wanted to point out that you posted on a 6 or 7 year old post.  You will probably get a better response if you post a new question or post on a "newer" question.  I think BlondeBabs is having some serious w/d's too.
Good luck,
Yoda
sorry, not 40 80's a day, but 4.
i was taking 40 80's a day plus heroin when no pills around. just finished a 10 day
medical dextox. didn't puke or anything heavy. clonidine 2 - 0.1 pills every three hours
plus some valium  and immodium, and it did the trick. first night and second morning
sweat like crazy, but after that when the clonidine get;s in your system, it's just time.
everyone's body is different!! it is doable no matter what other's say. it comes down to desire to be free of it. good luck to all trying to get off opiates!!
I just spoke with my 64yr old mom who takes 3 oxy 80mg a day for RA pain.  she took her last pil thursday (dr. wanted her off) and is very sick right now...she sounded terrible. She is having heart palpatations ...He gave her some kind of morphine pill instead??? How  long will this physical withdrawal last? She she be taking another med to help make it easier???
I would say he should go to the doctor. It is better to be safe....plus, considering what I am going through....I was doing the same thing....and turns out something really is wrong. So just take him to get checked out. :)
IM 23  AND AM ON MY 4TH DAY CLEAN OF OXYS. I WAS DOING THE ROXY 30 MG MAINLY OR 40S AND 80S IF THATS ALL I COULD GET. I DID A LOT IN THE BEGINNING AND HAD TO CUT DOWN BECAUSE I WAS RUNNING OUT OF MONEY. ITS 15 DOLLARS FOR ONE ROXY,  AND 20 FOR THE 40S, 40$ FOR THE 80S. I COULDNT PAY MY BILLS AND WAS SCARED TO STOP. I DONT KNOW HOW IT HAPPENED BUT KNEW IT HAD TO STOP. I WAS DOING ABOUT 4 OR 5 30MG ROXYS A DAY. THAT WAS ENOUGH TO GET BY TO FEEL NORMAL. I DONT EVEN GET A BUZZ ANYMORE. I CONFIDED IN MY MOTHER AND SHES BEEN AMAZING. MY SYMPTOMS ARENT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT. IT IS KINDA LIKE A STOMACH BUG. MAINLY NAUSEA, AND OH MY GOD EXTREME DIARREHA. I SWEAT A LOT AND THE ANXIETY IS BAD. I WAS SCARED OF THE SICKNESS BUT THE MENTAL PART OF QUITTING IS HARDER. ITS HARD TO SLEEP AND I FEEL ON THE EDGE. I TAKE A ZANAX TO SLEEP CAUSE OTHERWISE I WOULDNT BE ABLE TO. THE HARDEST PART IS JUST TAKING THE STEP TO TELL SOMEONE WHO CARES ABOUT YOU AND CAN HELP YOU. IM SO GLAD I DID. I HAD TO BREAK UP WITH MY BOYFRIEND OF A YEAR CAUSE HE WOULDNT QUIT. HES LIVING IN HIS CAR NOW BECAUSE HE WAS STEALING FROM HIS ROOMMATES AND WONT SEEK HELP. THIS HAS BEEN A PAINFUL PROCESS AND I WILL NEVER GO BACK.  THE BEST ADVISE AS ONLY A 3 DAY CLEAN USER CAN GIVE IS DONT START. YOU DONT EVEN GET HIGH OFF THEM AFTER A COUPLE MONTHS. I DID THEM EVERY DAY FOR A STRIAGHT YEAR. TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE ADDICTED AND WANT TO QUIT, THE FIRST THREE DAYS HAVE BEEN NOT EASY BUT KNOWING THAT YOUR NOT TURNING BACK AND YOU JUST HAVE TO SUFFER FOR A FEW DAYS IS WELL WORTH IT. STAY STRONG AND GET SUPPORT. I GO TO MY FIRST MEETING TOMORROW AND I FEEL BETTER ABOUT MY LIFE ALREADY. PLEASE COMMENT IF YOU WANT TO ASK ANYTHING I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE LIKE ME.
Ive heard the symptoms get worse over the days ahead of me, so i will keep posted my symptoms. thanx for listening
This is a very old thread.. Not all current members have their settings set up to read responses to old posts.. only current ones..  I would repost a new question on the main page of the Addiction Forum so that all current members can give you support and help..
Hi this is pre-written for new people… hope this helps:

It’s good to come clean with your doc concerning your desire to get off.  Ask him to prescribe clonidine, (not klonopin), and ativan.  These will help with sleep, RLS and anxiety.  These are best to try before formal detox and drugs like Suboxone.  I had to do formal detox because I tried everything else, including alcohol to get off and nothing worked for me.  Keep in mind that when you try… make it a good one!  Have some time off of work if you can… maybe a four day weekend or more.  Make the last day of work without any drugs, because the first day is usually the easiest.  Try your best to get clean and stay clean because the other methods require more potent drugs and you have to come off of those.  I am still on Suboxone and am a little worried about that… It does work well but the jury is out on, “At what Cost.”  I also learned while in detox, that the mind can psychosomatically create pain to “get’ the drug.  Another was that healing while using opiates greatly diminishes.  I would have sores on my hands that would take way too long to heal.
Best
Fish
I have to say this from the bottom of my heart,  Please do not keep playing around with these drugs they are very powerful ….. kinda like heroin in a pill and just as hard to get off once you attain the, "addicted" status.

THE HACK DOCTORS HAD ME TAKING FOUR TO FIVE 80 MG OXY'S A DAY TILL I WAS FED UP AND CHECKED INTO REHAB ON MY OWN THEY GAVE ME CLONIDINE TO BALANCE MY BLOOD PRESSURE VALIUM FOR ANXIETY AND TRAZADONE
TO HELP ME SLEEP BUT ALWAYS UNDER SUPERVISION BECAUSE YOU CAN GET REALLY OUT OF IT. THE VALIUMS WILL ALSO HELP WITH THE CRAVINGS BUT ONLY FOR A WEEK OR SO BECAUSE THESE CAN ALSO BE HABIT FORMING. AFTER YOU ARE DONE DETOXING THE REAL BATTLE BEGINS..... STAYING OFF.. THE OPIATES GET INSIDE YOUR HEAD IVE BEEN OFF FOR NEARLY 3 YEARS AND NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DONT THINK ABOUT OXYCONTIN... LAST NIGHT THE GIRL WHO LIVES TWO DOORS DOWN FROM ME OVERDOSED AND DIED LEAVING BEHIND A FIVE YEAR OLD SON.... JUST DO WHAT EVER YOU CAN TO STAY AWAY FROM THEM STAY STRONG!! WITHDRAWL (withdrawal) IS HELL BUT IT WILL EVENTUALLY END
YOUR ABILITY TO TAKE IT UPON YOURSELF TO GO TO REHAB IS AMAZING. THATS THE THING IM SCARED OF THE MOST IS LOSING MY JOB AND LOVED ONES FINDING OUT.  IVE LIED TO THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE TO ME ABOUT THIS. I WILL LOOK INTO THE DOCTORS MAYBE GIVING ME VALIUM LIKE YOU SAY CAUSE I DO HAVE EXTREME ANXIETY. IM FEELING MENTALLY STRONGER EVERYDAY, BUT I DO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE CRAVINGS. I HAVE THE URGE TO JUST PUT SOMETHING, ANYTHING UP MY NOSE. EVEN THOUGH THE BATHROOM HAS BECOME MY HOME, THE MENTAL PART OF THIS IS STILL THE HARDEST. MY BOYFRIEND CONFIDED IN HIS PARENTS LAST NIGHT AND HES MOVING BACK HOME. ITS SO HARD. IM JUST TRYING TO FOCUS ON MYSELF NOW AND ITS HARD. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE. I NEEDED SOMEONE TO WRITE BACK IT REALLY HELPED. IM SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR NEIGHBOR. THIS DRUG IS DISGUSTING AND RUINS LIVES. I FEEL A LITTLE MORE PHYSICALLY DRAINED TODAY, MY NECK AND SHOULDERS HURT AND I FEEL HOT AND GROGGY. BUT IM DOING THIS NO MATTER WHAT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT I NEED IT KEEP IN TOUCH.
Does anyone still look at this post?? Well if they are there are a couple interesting aspects about opiates and addiction to me. I stopped taking OxyContin 3 days ago. I believe I went through 60 40mg tablets in just over 2 weeks. I was also taking Xanax about 5 mg a day and of course uppers at the same time. So basically I've had the combo plate of all the stuff that everyone else is trying to keep you away from.

It's been like clockwork for me and I'm about to go on another cold turkey spell while watching TV and writing to others out there. At this point I've very far away from what Sober is suppose to feel like, I wouldn't know if I was or not. Anyways if anyone has any questions or advice of their own, please share, it's always comforting talking to others.
does anyone know the correct dosage of methadone and how many days to take it to get off of oxy's. I have been taking 3 80mg oxy's a day for 6 yrs. and I really want out. I have been without before only for a day, and I nearly wanted to die going through withdraw. I need to do this discreetly, without missing a day from work.Plus I have blown alot of cash in 6 years!  I want to be free of this ****!! I know meth may not be the correct way of detoxing, but I feel it is the method I want to try. I have always wanted to post a message for help but I didn't have the nerve. thanks to anyone that has this answer.
good luck getting off the oxys. i am currently studing to be a physician assistant. withdrawl (withdrawal) is hell but is not fatal. dont give up. I read some of your stories about the medications used to treat withdrawl (withdrawal). clonidine should aslo not be stopped at once. valium is ok to use as long as u have no prior history of benzodiazapine addiction. benzodiazapines include valium, xanax, klonopin, ativan, restoril. good luck if u have any questions just ask
I have been snorting about 240 to 360 mg of oxy a day for about a year and a half.  I am going on about my sixth day and although I am feeling a little better I am still experiencing somewhat heavy withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.  I am doing this in my house and still have work and college to attend.  I was just wondering how long the insomnia and lack of hunger will last.  I will get paid in two days and am thinking about doing some in order to eat and get an actual night's sleep.  If I did this do you think it would set me back to day one.  Also I took two milligrams of suboxen the first couple of days and was wondering if that was also setting me back during this period.  If anyone could answer any of these questions a soon as possible I would greatly appreciate it.
today is my birthday and my 83rd hour of being clean from all opiates. last year on my birthday i was caught in neurotic desire and legitimate need to find pills, i staggared through the day without any pills and
the next day was able to find some and continue the torid cycle of addiction. In the past year i have moved from taking about 12 -15 norcos or any vicodin or percs or lortabs i can get my hands on to discovering Oxycontin...i ended up snorting 80-100mg a day at my worst... I was pleading with my boyfriend that i could taper myself off of them. I lied to him, stole pills from loved ones...spent EVERY LAST CENT for a year on DRUGS and 4 days ago i finally decided to just STOP. i finally just hated where my life was TOO much to continue. and this birthday i am clean and feel hope.... i had fooled myself into thinking that i could wean myself off of the dope in my own regimine many times before.... i am sure weaning helps when it is physician monitored... and for those of you like Matt 20 i feel silly for even bringing up my 'problem' when your strength over the last 6 days has to have been AMAZING for the dosage you were taking seems massive! GOOD JOB!
I just stumbled upon this forum today and am thouroughly belssed.. it is so TRUE that support is essential.. thank you for sharing your stories and being here.....

i have an oxy 80  in front of me i am looking at it and noticing that this little pill is ruining my life i have no idea how to feel normal without this pill if i just go 4 days without cold turkey will i feel better if not does anyone know how long before i can enjoy the beauty of a day without feeling i need a drug .... i cant remember how i was happy before but i know i was please help
This is my first time trying to get off 80mg oxy. i have done it for 3 months by crushing up the pills and snorting them.  i dont have a mental addiction to the pill i dont crave the high but i have a strong physical addiction to oxy.  are there any home remedies that seemed to help? or other drugs i should ask about from my doctor? please list anything and everything u have to ease the pain that is to come. please help like the person above me said i cant remember how i was happy before but i know i was...love to all
I was prescribed oxy 4 months ago for severe lower right abdominal pain.  It was originally prescribed through the ER and then my GP continued prescribing it each month after.  I ended up in hospital twice over the pain.  The second visit was for a bowel obstruction... narcotics really slow down bowel function.  They took me off oxy cold-turkey in hospital.  I have been taking 40 mg twice a day and then percs in between for break-through pain.  The first night I was in terrible pain (I guess to be expected with a bowel obstruction) and screamed out most of the night until they came through with a shot of morphine.  From that point on I have been off.  I admit the first few days were hell.  I experienced terrible depression, nervous energy, insomnia, sweats, and vomitting.  I know that I wasn't on it for years (4 months) and perhaps not a high dosage but I want to let people who are struggling with the process or the thought of the process that it CAN be done.  I'm no stronger than any one of you. While on the oxy I felt that I was an observer of my life and not an active participant.  The major withdrawal symptoms lasted just over one week but I still feel that I am experiencing some mild symptoms.  Could I be right? I have a question... has anyone heard of phantom pain after withdrawal?  I have pains that I'm not sure there are a physiological reason for.  I would love to hear from anyone who needs support or has answers to my questions.

hi, where are your pains?  What ever happened to your RLQ abd pain?  I have heard of opiate-induced hyperalgesia, which means the opiates cause your body to be more receptive to pain--it is helped through time off opiates. My husband also thinks our brains make up pain so we can take pills--sometimes the pain disappears as soon as we take a pill, before it even has a chance to work.
I have detoxed of Oxys a few times now, I have been on them for at least 5 months now I am using them to help the withdraws for the Hydromorphone (Dilaudid) is primarily used to relieve moderate to severe pain that can be caused by many illnesses, such as cancer, acute and chronic pain conditions,  and they are way stronget then oxys.. If many of you are not to sure what this is, they are little beeds in a captsole that come in 3 6 12 24 30 Mg witch you put into a motor and use a pestle to crush them up or can take them oraly and that I have never done. With the Hydromorphone I was taking about 12 to 24 Mg a day and sometimes more. Now I am down to about a 40Mg of oxy a Day thats is keeping me sain, I find the most hardest part of the DT is the Resless lag syndrome and I find that women get in also in the arms bad...  I have never found anything to take that away...  I Beleve that the best way to help the detox of any pain killer is to go on a pure fruit and veggie diet I have done it the last few times and will this time and it seem to put the engery back in you body that the drug withdraw will take away...
My pain is still lower right quad from the front and radiates to the back.  It is strange in its occurrence.  I have the pain everyday.  It starts around noon and lasts until around dinner time.  It is not severe enough to take the oxy anymore but it is very annoying and reduces my desire to be physically active. I went for a ride on my bike on Saturday and ended up with quite severe pain for the whole day.  I'm wondering if the pain is associated with the Pancreatitis.  I was hoping that it was an acute form of the illness but I'm not sure now.  I'm not sure how long the discomfort from pancreatitis can last. I refuse to take the oxy.
i have been on oxy for about 4 years now .doctor started me on 20 mil then up to 40 mil i am now on 80 mil have been on them for about six months now.it all started with back pain i had they never gave me any name on what i had i just know that my back hurt me all i can remember is that one day i hurt myself pulled a muscle .well after years of being on the oxy i now want to get off them i went to the doctor and he now gives me lorazepam to help with the withdrwal .i take the oxy as perscribed two 80 mil a day i dont abuse it but i know it will be hard to get off i have the script for the lorazepam which the doctor gave me today 8-21-07 i am filling it tommorrowand i just wanted to know if anyone out there has ever had used this to get off the oxy and if it worked and how long it took to get off it also what am i to expect with the withdrwal thank you  
I started taking percocets and oxy's about 1 1/2 years ago because I was depressed and they made me feel so happy.  Now if I don't have any I am miserable, I can't imagine being happy without them.  I am only taking about 40 mil of oxy a day, but I have tried to go a day without and all I want to do is cry and I am so exhausted, and I get severe cramps in my legs and my joints ache so bad that I have to take one.  Tomorrow I plan to stop, but I am seeing a doctor to see if there is anything they can give me to make it easier.  What type of doctor is the best to see?  I made an appointment with a psychitrist, would they know what to prescibe me?  Should I ask for a specific type of medication?If anyone knows please tell me!!! I am desperate to stop.
Talk to your psychiatrist.  Also if you could find an addictionalagist is you area that would be even better.  They would most definitely get you pointed in the right direction.  I could never stop on my own I had to go to detox and then rehab for 30 or longer.  
this thread is very old.. I would repost your question as a new question on the page so it does not get lost in the mix of posts that were made today. An addiction specialist would be best.. they would have more experience with this.. Clondine is a med that helps alot its used normally for blood pressure but has been used for along time for addiction to opiates..

Welcome.. and again I would repost so you don't get lost in the mix
I second everything fladdict said.  FIND AN ADDICTIONONALGIST!  And start a new thread, you will get more responces.  Just hit the back to forum down below and at the top of the page that comes up there is an icon you can click on to post a question.  Just do that!
hi my name is pete and i was reading your posting what is a addictionalgist and how do you go about finding one .also a psychiatrist i was thinking should i go about getting one this addiction has me worried i have done drugs in the past i dont even drink anymore its been  3years now and this is the hardest thing i have ever done i have been searching the web for information and came upon this site any info would be great
Ask your psychiatrist to refer you to a addictionalagist.  My phycologist reffered me!  Maybe try google ing it, you maybe able to find one in your area that way!  You aren't in KY are you?
no i am in rochester ny.one of my best friends is also known as hockeylover .i tell you this oxy thing has me all upset i used to do the vics my doctor would perscribe 240 a month with the oxy the vics were like skittle they did nothing to me .i just hope that all this comes to an end soon and everyone i read in these pages get better  
Oxycontin withdrawls are the most horrible thing ive ever been through. Cocaine was basically a cake walk compared to that addiction, Ive honestly learned now being 18 years old, doing 80mg everyday for about a month and using percocet before that addiction started, THAT ANYONE CAN BEAT THE WITHDRAWLS, Im currently on my 12th day and im having LITTLE withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms such as:
Anger
Slight Anxiety
Cant Sleep

So if anyone reads this, DONT WORRY GET THRO THE FIRST WEEK,
(take ibuprophin) for your bone pains at night, and if you really cant fall asleep..
and you wanna kill youself, take a benadryl. (dont use everyday)

If I can do it, you can.
3 spine surgeries, the last was a failed 3 level lumbar fusion attempt. that was 3 yrs ago. Doc had me on Vioxx which worked at the time but I was always an active guy, outdoors kinda stuff, boating, scuba.. you name it. Merk took Vioxx off the market so the doc started with the opiates, first vicodan, then percocet, then fentanyl till I peaked at the 100 Mcg/hr patch then a year or so ago, he started me on oxycontin. It was wonderful at first... I think the energy levels previously mentioned are from the increased dopamine levels the drug creates. I had heard alot of good things and it was taking care of my sciatica and lumbar pain nicely when used in addition to valium. Then it started losing its effectiveness and wasnt lasting as long so the doc just kept bumping me up and up. I told him that I was concerned about being a "Designer heroin addict" and I sought a second oppinion from another pain management spec. At that time i was prescribed both the 100 McG/hr fentanyl patch and 60 Mg of oxycontin TID. The Pain specialist said that in her 20 years she had never seen anyone on such a high combined dose. I went back to my Primarydoc with this info and he became very angry, started screaming at me, accusing me of disrespect to be he and his staff. At no time was i disrespectfull to anyone at his office. He then sat down and said "tell me what you need, I will write prescriptions for whatever you want". I asked him for refills on my current med levels and made up my mind to discontinue my relationship with this particular doctor AND to bring myself down. I started by taking the Oxy as usual along with the patch but I left the same patch on for a full 7 days,. the last 3 days of that were a nice slice of hell but nothing compared to what I was heading into. I then started working on the oxycontin byreducing myself to 40 MG TID for a month and then to 20 MG TID for 2 weeks. I also had 90 percocets so I used them to replace my noon time dose of oxycontin and am now at 20 Mg BID. I started this at the beginning of July. Every day I consider chewing on th end of my 12 guage remington but I have kids and a wife, though I am perm disabled due to the failed fusion, I have tried to occupy my mind with hobbies, things that I can do without causing my back to spaz out. Walking, for me, is like riding a roller coaster the day after back surgery. It just inflames the muscles which press on the scar tissue from repeated incisions and causes severe sciatica. driving has the same effect after 30 minutes or so. sitting is a luxury these days and I generally remain flat on my back. First, I want to thank you all for your insights here. Second, are there any non opiate drugs that work as good as the oxycontin? third, I feel like I am bi-polar these days becuse of the Oxycontin tides... is there a medication that can help level out my depression and is there a med that I can be prescribed that will help ease my final fall from 40 MG BID to nill?

I was considering Tylenol PM and excedrine Back and body and just dealing with the remaining pain but it makes me kinda bearish to deal with. i also cant sleep for **** these days.

i sure am glad to see I am not alone with this problem and if I can help anyone else, you need but ask.

Thanks.

Trace

MY PROBLEM STARTED ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS BURNED IN AN ELECTRICAL EXPLOSION AT WORK.....LONG STORY SHORT STARTED OUT WITH LORTAB 10/325 X 8 A DAY
THEN 8-12 ADAY FOR MONTHS THEN 12-20 A DAY WEEKS THEN,20-4- A DAY,AND FINALLY 35-70 A DAY,I WAS ABLE TO GET THIS MANY BECAUSE I HAD A PHARMACIST THAT WOULD NEVER TAKE AWAY THE REFILLS I THINK I HAD 5 REFILLS FOR YEARS...ANY WAY WENT THROUGH THE SAME AMOUNT WITH PERCOCET,FINALLY MADE UP MY MIND TO STOP THIS MADDNESS AND STARTED ON THE 15 MG OXYS...STARTED OUT TAKING 15 A DAY FOR A COUPLE DAYS THEN 14 COUPLE DAYS THEN 13...AND SO ON IT MADE THE WITHDRAWLS BARELY NOTICEABLE.....BUT THE ANXIETY FROM THE CRAVINGS WILL TAKE WEEKS TO GO AWAY AT LEAST THAT WAS MY CASE....MAN IF YOU CAN STAY DICSIPLINED AND WEEN YOURSELF OFF,YOU JUST NEED TO SUCK IT UP AND GET THROUGH...I KNOW ITS A WHOLE LOT EASIER SAID THAN DONE BUT YOU CAN DO IT............GOOD LUCK PEOPLE
i am 18 years old and i do not have an addiction problem. i've been around oxys since they first came out in 95.. my father was disabled in the shoulders and was pescribed them for his pain. His body became immuned to the pills and sooner or later he was takeing 80 mg of oxy 3 times a day. For insurance reasons they cut him off of oxycontin, and he went into detox. He was on the couch for 8 days straight throwing up constantly. I had left him alone that night, and when i came back, found out that my father had commited suicide because he couldnt  take the pain of the detox anymore. that was the hardest thing i ever had to go through in my life. When i hear the word oxy it makes my bones cringe to see innocent people get sucked into the trap that purdue pharma has made. Help it before its too late. Please everyone, take a look at your life, and do u want it to be controlled by a chemical? .. live your life, dont let it choose yours.
Hi everyone, I am posting this same message on every Oxycontin forum I can find..........

I'm new to these forums, due unfortunately to the worst weekend of my entire life.
This drug (Oxycontin is a monster!!!! Get off it as soon as you can.
I have suffered chronic back pain for the past 10 months. The pain is almost unbearable at times.
After all else failed, my GP prescribed me 40mg oxycontin daily.
Wonder of wonders!!! they worked and I was almost pain free for a couple of weeks.
After 6 weeks, they didn't work so well, and I was on the brink of going back to the GP to have my dose increased.
A few wees ago, I ran out and ordered an emergency prescription.
Cutting a very long story short, my husband forgot to pick up the prescription so I had to wait and go without the drug all weekend.
Within 24 hours I was shaking, couldn't breathe, coughing, shivers chills the lot.
Basically, I realised I was suffering withdrawal symptoms.
I had the worst weekend of my life and have never felt so ill.
If I had an oxycontin in the house, I would have taken the damn thing to make me feel better and for these awful symptoms to go away.
While checking the withdrawal symptoms for the monster drug, I came across an old forum linked to this site, full of what I can only describe as a forum of ' lost souls'
Mostly all very genuine people like me, normal housewives, and husbands who were not drug abusers, but given oxycontin for genuine back pain.
They were all pitifully addicted to this drug and had no hope of getting off it.
Their lives were in ruins and they had no hope.
The withdrawal symptoms that hit me after 6 shorts weeks of use, were monsterous.
These poor lost souls were on a higher dose than me, and had no hope of quitting.

Needless to say, after doing my cold turkey, I have not gone back on the tablets and am suffering terribly again and my quality of life is zero sometimes.

Please please stop taking Oxycontin if you can.... it's a monster drug and highly addictive.
Don't end up suffering like me and the forum of lost souls.
I sencerely hope you all manage to find some alternative.
Kindest regards
Layne
Welcome, unfortunately the thread you posted on here is very old, the starting date is from 2000 this thread will get overlooked for newer posts.  If you would like support or adivce please repost on the main page as a new question.. scroll down to back to forum and click that will take you there.
Thats a great post but you need to put in on a new post or question as it says. Yes this forum is filled with people such as yourself, a slave to drugs all most right from the start. So if your on them 6 weeks or 6 years, you are in the same battle. Please share your story with others and send it new, so your not on a post that started in 2000 and all the ppl with see it.
Thanks for the advise.
I have started a new thread, but took a while to find where to go.

If anyone else stumbles on this old forum by googling as I did..

go to the top of this page and click forums
scroll down until you see drug addiction
click that link and you will see all the new posts and be able to post one of your own if you need some help or advise from those that have been there.

This old thread saved me from a life time of Oxycontin addiction and I simply want to let others know the horrors of this narcotic.

I have been off of oxycontin's for about 50 hours and I must say it is a battle of HELL, but its a battle that I can win and so can you. I was using all kinds of pills before until the mother of all came into my lap an oxy! This was a drug that I picked up from a friend to feel a new high. I have used anywhere between 20's, 40's, and 80mg's, anything to please my body.  I didn’t feel the WD until I ran out and went on a trip.  I experienced the chills, vomit, lots of sweat, and just the worst pain in my knees, at that time I knew I was addicted to the drug.  I couldn’t believe it, me addicted I have never felt this way before.  When I came back from trip the first thing I had to do was snort 2 80's to kill the pain.  It went on this way for about 4 months of just constantly getting more and more oxy's.
Then I began to not feel the same anymore, I wasn’t fun to be around, things just felt like they were there and I didn’t care.  I was only doing the oxy's to stay alive, I never did feel that way I did the fist time  .I was tired of this, I wanted my life back, I wanted to see what really made me laugh again and not a **** drug to put it on my face for me.
So I had a gamelan to get off of this evil ****.  I bought 3 80's and carried my dosage down feeling the symptoms everyday cutting my first day to 60mg, for the second 40mg and then 20mg each day until I was done (remember its tough to stay on this pattern, I believe this is an easier way then getting hooked on some other **** from the doctor).  I really didn’t feel any symptoms until about 12 hours I did my last 20mg.  The first symptom I felt was the chills and going to the bathroom allot!!!!  I did take 2 hot showers.  About 4hours after this going on I began to vomit and just felt a headache coming upon the to top of my skull.  I did take 2 valiums to help me sleep the pain away, but I only got 3 1/2 hours of actual sleep.  That morning I woke up vomited and all my bones ached.  The first 48hours will be the toughest.  Now the hard part is to stay away from the oxy's.  I’m starting to sober up and its letting me see the light again and to appreciate what I have now LIFE!!
Car accident in 5 yrs ago.  Doc gives me a bottle of perc's.

I enjoyed them but just used them as directed and they helped with pain.

3 years, never got proper treatment for my neck and back, pain got way worse.

I was at a children's bday party I picked up about 20-30 different kids..   Picked up one, pinched a nasty nerve in my back and couldn't move.

Asked my brother if he had anything for pain (I.E: TYLENOL. ASPRIN) and he said "Ohh just go talk to my friend he will have something"

Friend then directs me to an individual who will give me perc's, oxy and morphine in a second.

Took my first 20mg of OXY (remember I had only had a 5mg dose before)

I was hooked.  Drug of choice for 3+ years.

It started with "I can take one saturday night and then I won't touch them until next week."

Then one sunday morning u wake up just a little too sore or hung over so what do you reach for????

Then there it goes.  Once you string a 4-5 days of use together I am hooked.

I then went up to fri-sat-sun.... mon-thurs clean

I would "MINI DETOX" every monday morning.

My last year has been brutal  lots of serious problems.  Long story short, My habit hit 120mg a day chewed and swallowed.

I'm 25, my motivation to do anything was not there.  Sex was non-existant with my wife..  Sex drive say bye bye on oxys.

I had detoxed many times before when my dose was closer to 40mg.  Still no fun.  But each time u go back on when u have to quit again the withdrawal is worse and worse.

Well I finally went into the Dr. and said "it's that time"

-Clonazepam Klonopin
-Clonidine
-Naproxen (Alieve)

It's a good cocktail.. The Clonazepam helps even with leg aches.  I have tried every benzo to quit.  Xanax, Valium, Lorazepam, etc.    ASK FOR KLONOPIN (CLONAZEPAM).  Night and day!!!
Everyone is different when it comes to benzos though..  

I'm on day 13 clean or so.  Have my wife's support.  Work from home so I am lucky there.

I averaged 3 hrs sleep for the first 7 days and that was after a pile of clonazepam.  I would just have to go and crank the jucuzzi to max heat and stay in.

Day 2 it took me 20 minutes pleading with my legs to build up the energy to get me out of bed.  And I had to go to the bathroom on top of it.  I just couldn't do it.

20 minutes later I was out and made it in time.

Here's a huge tip to detox.   GINGER ROOT.  Go buy it, shread it, chop it, whatever, throw it the bathtub (lots of it, fresh ginger) and turn the heat on MAX.

Let it brew.. Then when it is just not to hot to SCOLD yourself. Hop in and soak.

The ginger will get your body so hot and start sweating garbage out of every pore.

After 20 mins your forehead is covered in detox'd nasty sweat.

Hop out, and wrap yourself in a robe or towels and hop in bed..  You will keep detoxing for another 20 mins or until you cool down.

Trust me.  Best thing for WD's.

I went with lots of vitamins, zinc, l-tyrosine, drinking chinese GREEN TEA all day long hot and cold.  I pulled out the juicer even.. There are lots of detox juices u can make.  

Here I am, I am about to go Rollerblading now.

You have no idea what you missed once you got off.  Everything on oxy u saw through hazy glasses, numbed, selfish, withdrawn socially (perhaps),

Going for a run in the park this past weekend with my son was more enjoyable than anything i could have dreamt of in all the years on oxy.  

I gave up so much for this devil's poison.

My diarrhea only started at day 7 and has been bad,. Never had it before when wd'ing.  

I've tried going off before for months at a time and then thinkin' it's a party let's take a bite of just one.
Can't do it.

For sleep Gravol and Benadral are really good OTC stuff.

I still feel like garbage to be honest.  I have no idea how much longer it will take.

Force yourself to exercise.. Even if it's just moving and stretching all your joints in the tub.. Or try running up and down the stairs at 10X your pace.. Anything small to get the muscles back at it.

Swimming is #1 but if you are vomitting or pooing all day, the pool is not good.

But yeah join a gym, join a sports team.  Get out and enjoy life.

Going to the Dr's was hard for me.. I am very very proud.  He didn't judge or scold me, he knew that won't help.  But it gives u something to help you in the back of your mind to have your detox supervised.  Remember OXY is a Pharma.  They have 1000s of Pharmas.

A lot of them can get you off oxy a little easier.

Have a buddy system for support.  Have a friend spouse support u.  But maybe u won't have it.  Maybe they are going to say "You did this to yourself, now take care of it yourself"

Just be strong, make goals for each day.  Each day does get better.

If you can conk yourself out and sleep sleep sleep, do it.  I still am up at 2 AM and/or 4 AM for the day.  

I have no been able to each any food.  Lost a ton of weigt.  I am using lots of natural suppliments and trying to juice a lot and like liquid smooties..  Lots of fruits and veggies.. Blend them, juice um.

Easier to get down when u feel that bad.

Any questions?  I am here to help.

Me and my Bf started consuming Oxy 3 months ago. When we were apart we consumed one pill of 80mg/day. However, when we were together we would consume 2 pills each, just to buzz. None of us have any pains, it was purely for buzzing. It's been one week we stopped consuming, both of us, and we stopped cold turkey. We get sweats, chills, constantly feeling tired, joint pains, light back pain, and the most annoying INSOMNIA! It's really hard but we are taking a day at a time. To sleep we are taking zanax but we want to stop that too. If there are any other methods that would make these withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms easier on us please let us know!
how can i beat the addiction by myself without going to rehab
start a new post, you'll get lots of good help, this one is old and likely not get as much attention as your new one will.
My husband has been on Oxy 80mg x3 a day for the last 5 yrs due to chronic back problems. He just had his 3rd back surgery and is still in pain. He hates being on Oxy, but has no clue how to get off of it. You can tell when he is late on just one dose. He gets diarreah (diarrhea), nausea, wild emotions, ect. His PC and his Neurosurgeon has talked about weening him off, but how does that work? When he first went on it, he took himself off and we ended up in the ER. Can anyone help?
rjteacup---

This post is very old. You would be best served to start a new one. Go to the top of this page and hit the Post A question button. Follow the instructions. Hope to see you in the forum.
I was taking 80 mg a day for a year stop friday on my fourth day there were time a wanted to die uncontroled muscle spasms sweats Naseua. Finally slept 5 hrs last night on Xanax. My wife has helped me greatly. I have  the  oxy in the house in case I could not take the pain
. but I asked here to flush it today. C ur doctor if u don't have insurance it will only cost $60 get generic scripts 4 Xanax. 4 a week supply and just remember  the ****** u gave u this **** knew u would be going thru this pain. I decided to quit when I saw a picture of myself from three years ago. Don't remember him but I liked him better. I won't lie I still have the same pain asvi did the first day how long will this take?
Its been 4 hrs since my last post the xanax its really helping I saw my doc again today he did  not charge me gave me lunasta for night. He gave me free scrip he had in office  cuz I dont have INS.  I just had my first full meal I haven't ate so well in a year. Get at least 4 to 5 days n u will make it. Dont be a cop out and ever start this demon seed.
This post is 8 years old. You would be best served if you started your own. Go to the top of this page and hit the post a question button. Follow the instructions. Hope to see you out there.
Ive noticed there have not been many final statements on how their withdrawls have ended.  I will try to tell this is the 4th night and I will b taking lunesta. My coctails will Xanax  during day n lunesta at night lots of cantalope. Salads lasangna. I promise as  much.    Detail on my progress , I lot of hot showers, big help . Today eating has eating is helping on the third n fourth day if u have some to help prepare this items it will go slot smoother. I can't. Believe iam almost done. On my final day I will let u know. If my plan is working I hope u can follow my past entries. God bless
Dude, the original post is 8 years old. These people are not here anymore. Go to the top of the page and hit the green 'Post Question' to start your own thread. You will get more responses this way.
Greatgreebo
4 week Rx for Xanax? Are you ****** crazy? It only takes 7-10 days to get hooked on the sh*t. You only need then for a week, maybe 8 days at the most. Man, you are just trading in one substace for another.

Look up the Thomas Recipe here on the forum or read this if you really want to know how to detox the right way:

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2899

And by the way, any opiate substance, including Oxycontin, taken daily,esp. in high milligram amounts,or abusers,the drug would be present in fatty tissues from 6 days up to 2 weeks.

Dang, start a new thread.  : )
I understand now. Thx. And is (4)four a week supply. Using my iPhone so taking shortcuts.
No, 4 per day.

: )
feb 28/08

i have been on oxycontin for almost 5yrs now i was taking 80mg's 4times a day iam weining slowly and iam now down to 30mg 4times a day it has taken 3mths to do this. i just started acupuncture and have been 6 times now the last 60mg i have reduced is all due to the acupuncture it helps alot, i would still be stuck at 50mg 4times a day if it wasn't for the acupuncture i highly recommend it, it's expensive but if u have some ins. u can get some money back.it helps with the withdrawls and the anxiety associated with withdrawls, my biggest problem is insomnia in which i take benzo's for (alot of them) i have been on benzo's for almost a yr. now and i now have to take 12 zopiclone per night just to get a few hrs. of sleep i'm thinking they will be harder to get off of than the oxy. iam hoping that once iam finished weining off the oxy that the acupuncture will also help with the benzo addiction.sometimes i go 4 days straight withought any sleep. i have lost my husband and may loose my job as i haven't been to work in over 6mths because of this awful drug iam 36yrs old and can barely raise my 14yr son because of this drug, his father passed away 3yrs ago from a drug related car acc. so iam all he has, i know i can get off the oxy as iam not mentally dep. but physically. i have thorasic outlet synd. and arth. in my neck from a break. iam in constant pain still but would rather just deal with the pain than be on this drug any longer. i have alot of experience with different doses so if u have any quest. feel free to ask.
take care
This is an old thread. YOu may get overlooked and not get many responses. Go to the top of this page and hit the post a question button and start a new thread!!
See you out in the forum.
I was taking oxycontin 40 mg pills 6 a day for two years I went to an inpatient detox they did an 8 day taper using methadone today is 36 days since last oxycontin and 29 days since last methadone I felt ok while taking methadone 2 days after taper starting feeling withdrawls still feel very anxious and am freezing cold and can not sleep but am slowly getting better I was reading posts from people saying 4 days 5 days for oxy withdrawls I was just wondering if it is normal to feel wd's after a month? because I do. is there anyone else who has had wd's for this long?  it has been very hard but I am starting to feel better and I will never put myself through this again so if you are going through this hang in there and things will get better it just takes time and it is not easy
I am withdrawing as we speak - I stopped last night, so I am in very early stages - shaky, weird feeling, nautious a little. I was on 80 mgs and felt SO bad on oxy, I decided enough was enough after my doctor told my husband there is no alternative. I am screaming inside, and feel like I am going loopy. I know this will taper in time, I was on oxy for 8 months. It's worst than I thought, but if I take one now, I will go back to where I was zombie land, where I don't want to be.
I have to say to anyone though, I know cold turkey is the worst way to come off, but my doctor refused to take me down by 10mgs at a time. I am in Canada, it is not easy to find a doctor here, especially one who will prescribe this kind of drug. Good luck to anyone else, I wouldn't reccomend coming off like this to anyone. I reckon in 2 days, I will be ok.
Hugs, Ember
hello my name is natalee and i've been doing about 2 80's a Day for the last six months and off the on before that. I came to Europe to see family and also wanted to get off.. i'm on my 5th day and all the vomiting and stomache has stopped but i still can't sleep and my body is killing me. so i don't no what to take and the dr.s here don't know **** about it any help!
This thread is very old. You would be best served to start a new one. Go to the top of this page and hit the Post A question button. Follow the instructions. Hope to see you in the Addiction Substance Abuse Community forum.
It would be good for the administrator to cut this thread off (if she can, and start it over at about March of 08 for the new thread.   this is one of those that many people want to become a part of.  All of these users are so heavy users that it begs the question  - why  hasn't someone brought up the subject of suboxone -  the miracle cure for W/D's for opiates.  I will be starting on Sub tomorrow for a 2 and 1/2 week treatment - any longer than that and you have simply traded one addiction for anther one - and one that is much worse.  Well. best to all as you try to kick their addictions.
wow,, surely  oxys  can be  beaten,,  yall knew  there would  be  side effects.     Excercise!  the  sooner  you  drive all dat  government approved poison outta  your  system-  you  will feel a  world  better,   not  right  away though--  the  deeper  you  are  the  farther  you  have to  climb  to  get  outta  your  own  personal hell.  kickin  herion  waz  easier  den oxyz,,
  doctorz  are  the best  paid  dealers  around
I have a very dear friend that is  going to the methadone clinic.  He is having problems sleeping at night.  He has only been going to the clinic for a couple of weeks now.  Is there anything he can do or take that will help him sleep at night that is safe to take with the methadone so he doesn't lose his job from sleeping on lunch breaks?
I AM CLEAN FROM OXIES NOW SINCE JAN 12 BUT THE DOCTOR GAVE ME SOBOXINE AND I SLOWED OFF OF THOSE PROBABLY FASTER THAN THEY WANTED BUT IT WAS SO MUCH MONEY AND I COULD NOT CONTINUE TO KEEP PAYING FOR THE DOCTORS VISITS AND THE SOBOXINE DRUG AS WELL. MY QUESTION IS THIS...I HAVE BEEN OFF THE SUBOXINE FOR 11 DAYS NOW AND i AM TAKING NOTHING. I GUESS I DID THIS COLD TURKEY A LITTLE BIT. STILL 11 DAYS AND I TAKE NOTHNG BUT I CANT FALL ASLEEP I AM DEPRESSED AND I STILL HAVE ACHES AND PAINS EVEN THOUGH THEY AREN'T AS BAD....I JUST HATE THAT I CAN'T SLEEP AND I AM DEPRESSED SO BAD AND HAVE NO ENERGY WHAT SO EVER. I AM SCARED AND DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN HANDLE THIS ROUTINE. I DON'T WANT TO TAKE ANY OTHER DRUGS THAT MAY EXTEND MY PROBLEM. I AM SO TIRED BUT CANNOT SLEEP IN THE EVENING TIME????GO FIGURE I AM ASHAMED AND AM DOING THIS ON MY OWN DUE TO RUNNING OFF ANYONE THAT GAVE A **** FOR ME I GUESS. I AM TRYING TO PICK UP THE PIECES BUT THIS WEAK AND RESTLESS FEELING THAT COMES ALONG WITH MAJOR DEPRESSION REALLY CONCERNS ME. I AM AN IDIOT AND WISH I COULD SEE THE LIGHT. I AM 37 AND I DON'T EVEN SE HOW I CAN MAKE IT TO 38. IS THERE ANONE THAT CAN TELL ME WHEN THE ENERGY COMES BACK...AND SLEEP...I AM A FREAKING LOSER AND AM ASHAMED OF MYSELF.  
i have stopped taking oxycontin for about a month now and since then i havent slept at all maybe 2 hours of sleep aday mostly in the afternoon is anyone else going through the same and what have u been prescribed to fix it please help thanks
I was on Oxycontin for over 4 years and decided to get off of them. I was taking 160mg to 200mg a day.  Two years ago  i checked myself into  treatment, i left after 10 days cause it wasn't for me. They give my Suboxone which i took for 10 days for the withdrawls but it didn't do much. I came back home and suffered the withdrawal symptoms, they were horrific!. every joint in my body felt like it was getting ripped out. My muscles ached horribly. My lower back pain was terrible.  I never dreamt it would be so bad. It was a nightmare come true. pure evil! went without sleep for months and ended up with severe depression with insomnia for a year in a half. I tryed ending my life. Now it is 2years later, Finally beginning to feel normal again and my sleep is back to normal. I'm able to do the things i once enjoyed and love. I'm back working again full time which is a miracle, if only you could have seen me a year ago. I am so glad i am now off this horrible drug. I was prescribed oxy's for acute back pain to begin with. I would never trade my pain for a pain pill ever again. I'm so glad i can function again and my mental strength is back and i can now think clearly again unlike before when i was taking Oxycontin. Anyone that is trying to get off these Oxy's, all i got to say is yes it is extremely difficult, it does seem hopeless. oxy's changes your chemicals in your brain so you won't think clearly at times but you will heal in time, don't give up!  Each passing day you get closer to recovery. Some people take longer than others to heal and to overcome this addiction so don't compare yourself to others that have healed faster
how long is it common to have stomach issues...ie: diarhea (diarrhea) in the morning after using opiates on and off for a year...I have been completely clean for over a week but am still experiencing stomach problems...is this common because I'm scared I have something wrong with my stomach but I no longer have medical insurance but I dont know how long I should give it until i get it checked out....

p.s. wasn't having the stomach issues until i began my withdrawal

i feel for you all i've fought with oxycontin for 4 years. it is truely a drug created by satan him self. at home try hot baths or a hot tub, alcohol, marajuana. suboxone or methadone at a clinic. although i believe they use suboxone almost exclusivly now. i wanted to die. hardest thing i've ever done. i lost alot but not everything. you can beat it but you have to be prepared cause it is unbelivable how hard it is to quit. i though about the love i have for my 3 children. keep trying people if you dont get off it will kill you. i was very close
I just wanted to post my experience, since most of these stories seem to be about individuals that abused the drug, or took it without pain.  I think this may give some the wrong idea about the drug, because when used properly, there really isn't much to worry about.  I've been on one form of opiate or another for about three years now after I was diagnosed with AVN.  It's a bone disease, where your femoral bones die and collapse.  Bone pain isn't fun.  Part of the problem with pain though, and a full bottle, is that you will medicate yourself until the pain is gone.  This left me missing pills at the end of the month, and I would have to go back into the Dr.'s feeling a little ashamed, and we were both worrying that I may be developing an addiction.  The problem was, the pain was manageable with the dosages we worked out, but I wasn't pain free until I took more than I should.  Fortunately for me, I have a wonderful girlfriend that that I live with that I could fully trust, and I brought her with me.  She managed my medication diligently, giving me the dosages prescribed.  On days that I was visibly having issue, she'd give me an extra breakthrough.  I would recommend this to anyone who is lucky to have a loved one that you can trust.
    The reason I preach this, is I'm just coming off of my 5th day without the drug and I haven't experienced any of the withdrawal symptoms (except the restless legs, insomnia, and inevitable diarrhea).  I suspect that these are going to be present regardless, as your body returns to it's normal state.  I don't feel like I want to die, I don't crave the pills, and I've never felt better (save the tummy).
    I think the point I'm trying to make, is that when prescribed, Oxycontin can make your pain bearable.  It's not the monster that you see on so many of these forums unless you allow it to be.  I was taking just shy of 200mg per day between the contin and codone; only 5 days ago.  And I am pretty sure I feel better now than when I was taking the Oxycontin.  
    My best wishes going out to everyone that needs the drug to cope with pain.  Be responsible, and if you can't, enlist a loved one before a problem occurs.  It could save your life, or at least your livelihood.  For anyone who is taking the drug without physical pain, I wish you even more luck.  Get help, or help yourself, if that's your nature.  But do something.  Although I have just said Oxycontin isn't the monster people make it out to be, a life on Oxycontin is only better than a life of continual and unrelenting physical pain.  It allowed me to cope, but it didn't allow me to live.

Hey great post on the use of Oxy.  I agree 100% with what you said!  
I am as well on day 17 from oxy. I just got back from a 2 mile run @130am here in florida. I cant put it into words how good it is to have life back in me. This is my 3rd time
but i did it in detox and i go to IOP 3 days and meetings as well.
I hope the best for you and your Husband.
soxfan
as anyone tried suboxon to help wth the withdraw?  it worked for my wife ad she was on 5 80's a day for over a year.
I am trying to get off oxys and methadone.  I am having trouble finding a doctor who will help me taper off or give me meds to make the cold turkey withdrawals not so bad.  I live in lakeville, MN.  If anyone knows any place I can go to get this kind of help it would be much appreciated.  I have been hooked for 4 months and they do nothing for me anymore except prevent the hellish withdrawals.  I want to get off of them but I do not know where to get help.  All the psychiatrist will give is suboxone and I cant even see one of them because of the long waiting lists.
I'm not really sure how to start my post, I've never been one to post on message boards in the past but I feel like I have no where else to turn.  I'm not sure anyone still reads this board but or if anyone will care about my story but I feel like I have to at least get it out and maybe there is somone out there that may be going through a similar situation.  I have been with my boyfriend for almost a decade, we've grow up together and have been rock solid for the past nine years.  All I have been dreaming about for the last few years since I hit my mid twenties is getting married to him.  We have everything set up, our house, we have a dog and great friends, esp my best friend.  Her and I have also known eachother for a long time and I felt our relationship was perfect.  My boyfriend has always been very comfortable around my friends and often hung out with them while I was working late, I NEVER worried about it or thought twice when he was alone with any of them, I completely trusted them, I knew that he was never going to screw them...unfortuantly what I didnt know was that my best friend who has always fancied pills would get my boyfriend hooked on snorting oxycontin.  I knew that she did it, and I knew that he had done it once in a while, but it wasnt until about 8 months into it when one of his best friends alerted me to what was going on.  I always suspected it inside, and I should have trusted my gut, but I thought nothing like that could ever happen.  Long story short I played Super Spy and unravelled the entire operation, my best friend lied about it to my face, she told my boyfriend about my suspicions and continued lying to me, talking to him and selling him pills even after I confronted them both.  I found the stash, I checked his phones, ATM recipes, bank statements and did everything I could to learn the truth about what was going on, since I have been with my boyfriend I've never been the suspicious type but I felt that my future was in jeopardy unless I could prove what was going on and stop him.  I havent talked to my best friend since I found it was still going on and she was telling him things that her and I talked about in confidence, thats not what a friend is in my mind, I've been with her through everything bad in her life and she completly betrayed me.  But thats not really the point of the story, of course I'm devisated to lose my best friend, but it was the betrayel of my boyfriend that hurt the most.  He has become an expert at looking me in the eye and lying, it breaks my heart everytime I find out that hes been doing it again when he swore he had stopped.  I've gone as far as buying drug tests (there is a very good website if you just search for oxy drug tests in google, they were only $1.60 each and trust me when I say they are accurate), but hes found a way around that, telling me that he has taken tylonal with codine we got from Canada (the codine is what shows up positive in the drug test, whether in that form or oxy, I have since weight the bottle of tylonal so I can determine next time if he really took them or not).  I'm so lost, I dont know what to.  Everyone I talk to about this has no ability to relate what so ever and it makes me feel alone.  My boyfriend is a good person, and he is a diagnosed manic depressant, so I understand that the pill make him feel better about life, but it cannot lead anywhere good, its only going to go downhill. This is not what I wanted for my life, we have good jobs, we were ready to get married and have kids, but now I can't believe a word he tells me.  I told him last time I caught him that one more time and I was out the door, and he has sworn that he has not done it since but I'm not blind to him anymore (btw, a dead give away is that someone on it's pupils are the size of pin holes, its obvious).  I dont know if I should really leave or if that will cause him to spiral out of control and drive a permenant wedge between us forever, and neither of us could afford our house alone.  I could move into another room of our house for now, hoping to make him wake up and realize hes going to lose me but I dont know if that would just make things awkward at home and not help the situation.  I really dont want to lose him.  I know he is a good person,and he is the person that I want to be with forever, but this is not what I wanted for my life and I cannot handle being lied to on a daily basis.  I dont want to be suspicous anymore.  . (by the way his family is not much help, I have already tried to work with them on helping him and it went no where, they all seem to think the "power of my love" will cure him, but thats not how pill addiction works).  Is there anyone out there that has any advice?  I feel like i'm going to lose my whole life, everything i've been working for.  I have no idea what to do next, all I want for Christmas if for him to be clean and my life to go back to normal.
Honey, this is a VERY old thread. You should copy and paste your entry into one all of its own. Just go to the top of the page and hit the green "post a question" button. You will get lots of very helpful responses. If you leave it here, it's highly unlikely anyone will see it.

Good luck to you!!!
I have been on oxycontin for a few months now and I just want to say that the mental addiction from this drug has overcome me mentally and now I don't even like to go do anything with family because I am so depressed... I wake up and my lower back won't let me sleep, Vomiting and the sweats are the worst and I just recently confided in my doctor who was very understanding and I told him that I will be fine getting off the drug but it was harder than just that. I think of oxy all day, even dream of it and I think that talking to the people who are closest to you about getting off the drug is most important. Even if it is your best friend you looked up to who got into some motorcycyle accident who you just experimented with, you have to GET HELP!!! Please just take my advice!!! There is no good in this drug unless you are already dead and I know this drug has ruined way too many of my friends and even killed some. Don't let this stupid drug overcome your life or you are just another  "addict"...Don't get down on yourself and I know reality isn't always the truth but please take my advice. I don't ever wanna look at my best friend taking 5 80's to get out of bed to feel what???!? EMPTY
I started snorting Oxy M30's about 4 months ago. Being a raging "pot-head" and an occasional cocaine user, I heard about these oxy's that have just flooded southern Florida where I recently moved. I asked my new weed hook-up if he knew where I could score some powder, but all he could get were those Small, Round, Blue, M30's. He told me people crush them and snort them to make them work faster but recommended against it. Needless to say, I became addicted almost within my first week of discovering those evil little things, now I am on my 10th day of cold turkey. I was snorting 150-300 mg every day, EVERY SINGLE DAY. My stomach still has not recovered but I somehow managed to man up and deal with my W/D's at home, and I could not tell my GF or my parents whom I live with at the moment. Not being able to talk to anybody made it more difficult than it had to be. My only advice to anybody would be to read and respond to these posts. It's helping me right now. Of course you will all be in bed for 3-5 days without any hope of feeling better, but you will....eventually. I never thought I would feel better. Thoughts of suicide were constantly popping into my head. It is/was very scary to think that I would rather be dead than feel dope-sick. Please DO NOT KILL YOURSELF. PLEASE. There is a light at the end of this lonely, and extremely dark tunnel. Just make sure you don't turn around and go back through that tunnel when you finally make it out alive.
I am goin on my first day without oxy and my wife is in a detox center we are both addicted we have kids so only one of us could go to clinic I know its gonna be hard but it must be done this thing has took over or lives and we got tired of bein sick and tired if knew the outcome of usin oxy I wouldve never tried it (knowledge is power) to anyone out there goin through the same thing my heart and prayers goes out to you and for anyone out there curious about usin PLEASE DON'T its the worst drug out there its funny I always thought crack was a monster (although I never used I knew better hince knowledge is power) but this oxy thing is in my eyes the king kong of all drugs I totaly takes ahold of u and doesn't let without a real toe to toe fight so wish me and my wife luck an place us in ur prayers were gonna need it and for you out there still ridin that horse please find help or come to it ur self how ever please just try cause its not worth it laugh now cry later I promise.  DAY 1 6 or 7 to go but never again.....  
Look in2 SUBOXON everyone,,As it is a wonder drug for those terrible withdrawl (withdrawal) syptoms (symptoms). I was so bad before, the sub saved me,, trust me  if i can do it,, YOU all can too
Go see a doctor/physician. Be completly honest. They will help you. The key to recovering... besides time and taking it day by day. ZANAX. And DO NOT abuse it. If you are honest with the dr., and tell them that you honestly want to quit the addiction and are not looking for another, ZANAX will help you sleep, help with the "loose leg", help with the hot flashes, and after 10 days or so you will start to notice a difference, after a month, you will be back to your normal state of mind. a doctors apointment to UW Physicians 9for example) with out insurance cost $150. tell them that you dont have insurance and they can generally perscrible you a generic brand for about $15 (with no insurance) TRUST ME.
My boyfriend has been using oxys for about 5 months he rufuses to get help and no one can make him get help because he is almost 21 years old, i am trying my hardest to stay close to him and to be supportive of him. He is currently with drawaling and only has been for 24 hrs. I have no clue what to do to try to get him off of these horrible pills. He has no money to go to rehab because he spent it all on oxy's, does anyone know of places that can help pay for rehab? If anyone has any advice or if anyone can help us get through this please comment me back! this struggle is horrible and i am soo scared that he is gonna die.
Hey Jess. Welcome to the forum. You will get so much support and advice. You should start a new post that is dedicated to you. You posted to an older post and they tend to get overlooked. At the top of the page you will see a green box that says "ask a question". Click on that. It will bring up a new page where you can post your question. You can copy and past your previous post if you want.
Could you get your boyfriend to come on here for support? Let him know this is a place of fellow addicts and he will not be judged. Most here have been in his shoes. He will get some much support. There are some wonderful people here that will bend over backwards to help him through.
Best of luck to you and your boyfriend!
Brian
Its been 16 days since i stoped taking 120 Mlgrams a day Oxys for 4 yrs, Never felt so bad in my life even now really sore. If any body could help me with something thet will Help I have no modavation to do anything.
april 17,10. finally, decided after 7painful years,1wk off  OCs.   My big problem, major depression. All the while the physical pain i deal with from a broken neck, the reality of my fate crippled and having to except it. all the withdrawals are present an apparent from what ive read. there is one upside i have felt the natural sensation to take a healthy ****! How long will i be deprived of the wonderful world of dopamine. I sure could use the energy and laugh.ha ha!      
Unfortunately many people have those dark days. I am ur same age and have been addicted to heroin and Oxys for over a decade with many detoxs but it's possible to do when u put ur mind to it and you REALLY WANT to get off - that's the key. If ur not ready it won't work
I do the same thing, its more of a dry heave than tossing it all but still can happen in the morning. I have been off for 6 months now, and still get the dry heaves at least 5 spells per day, and my energy never returned. I think a study will come out soon that shows ppl like us will never be able to function like a normal person again. I think the part of the brain that is supposed to turn back on is broken forever. I am considering to moving to a country that opiates are legal in just so I can live the rest of my life in piece.  The united states has banned most of use who still need them and force us to come off. I was on two 80 mg ocycontin per day along with 6 roxycodone per day along with 8 ultram per day every day for about 10 years not including my percosect days. Talk about wanting to kill yourself.... If I did not have a wife who died and was left with a 2 year old son to try my *** off to feed and change his diapers I would have already offed myself. No one should have to go through withdraws this long. Its a bunch of bullshitttt.
Hello my boyfriend has been taking oxys for a while now, it started off with just a perk but now it has moved up to 20mg of oxy a day he just recently(2weeks ago) has been only doing it on the weekend, because I told he needs to slow down, he is fine during the week still has a couple of the symptoms (puking cant sleep etc) But other then that hes ok. Does this mean hes addicted? Now that he is only doing it on the weekends will it be easier for him to just stop doing it all together? Thanks!
I've been on oxycotin 40mg now for 5+ years, I am having no problems with functioning day to day, at my job and other parts of life, with the use this use of this drug, it calms my back pain, if it wasn't for this drug, I would be in pain daily and could not function.

I haven't increased my dose, since about 6 months into using the drug. It just wasn't doing the trick, so I went from 20 to 40 mg, and haven't looked back, my pain is manageable, and though if I go past the time (12 hours) of my next dose, I do go through withdraw symptoms, I've never had the need to take more than my prescribed dose, with the exception of over the counter, like Advil, maybe 200-400mg, daily or when needed for break  through.

I think anyone that has an addictive compulsive nature, it going to be addicted and maybe abuse this drug, like alcohol or any other drug. I think users need to take responsibility for their actions and stop blaming the drug, the drug is not the problem, it's the users abuse. Just my opinion.
my huband has been on oxy off n on for 4yrs. and it getting harder and harder every time.he gor through the detoxe for one day but then say that he can handle it. ive been a supportive wife but , now im calling out for help cause we are  on our fourth kids and times are getting hard . if there anyone out there that can help me some how, i would really be thankful. um just to let u know that he i up to 3 of the 80s from what i know and he uses a point. some body please help
Mirivail---This is a really old post, you should start a new thread by clicking on "Back to the Forum" and once you are there then click on "Post a question" There are many people here that can give you the help you need. Since this post is so old people may not resond to it. I will be looking for your new post and try to give you some answers.
I have been addicted to oxy for 12 yrs I was taking between 800-1600 mg 2-3 times daily when I was low or out I subed fent patches(chew) vickys dems and of course percs. Im on day 6 being off & just got home from detox but dont feel much better the only thing gone from the w/d symptoms seems to be the Linda Blair effect how long before I %$#@%&^ sleep again TRAZADONE SUX the clonadine helps with some of the jerking but has anyone here been on this long @ these doses or higher? When is it over?
Just so you know this is a really old thread.  If you repost the question as a new post you'll get more answers.

To answer your question most of the physical symptoms usually go away completely by the end of two weeks.  I'm not familiar with Trazadon so I don't know how that affects things.  I guess since you were a long time high dosage user you'll be one of the people who's symptoms last closer to the whole two weeks but most people feel a lot better by days 7-8-9 etc.
Sleep seems to be the last thing that returns to normal.
I am 18 years old and i have been addicted to hydros, oxycodine and oxycontin for 3 years, i have been taking them everyday and everyday, 8 oxycodones 30mgs,14 hydrocodone, and 8 oxycontins.The problem is that i dont get them prescribed to me its from my mom and my life is ruined i cant hang out with friends i cant tell my mom i am stuck in my house for 3 years with no job and had to drop out of school,but currently i am trying to get off and i was wondering if klonopin (clonazepam) would help with the chills and body aches would someone please answer back
Hello and Welcome,

To answer your question Klonopin can help. But NOT with body aches and chills. Klonopin alone wont do the trick and can be VERY dangerous. DONT take it without talking to a DR. Why can t you talk to your mom? Mothers can be very understanding in situations like this. This site can be very helpful, and if you stick around we WILL help you get through this. Have you ever tried to stop before? How long did you make it? Your life is NOT ruined. Its just starting. There is an out to this, but YOU have to be willing to do the work. As hopeless as it may seem..there is a light at the end of the tunnel.Keep posting and PLEASE DONT take the Klonopin. Let us try to help you first.
Oh yeah, You should post a new question and start your own thread as it will be easier to keep up with you. This is an old thread and could get confusing. Go to the top of this page and click the green "post a question " and you will get alot more responses. Good luck man and hang in there.
I'm 25 and have been addicted to oxy's since I was 17 and I'm currently try to get off them again for the 100th time with withdrawls n all. The last 8 years of my life have been hell, hurting myself and anyone that gets close to me. I will never be able to get those years back and so so wish I could. I have been to multiple treatment centers and have relapsed multiple times. The advice i can give to you is quit right now, your only 18. Yes withdrawls suck im in them right now but let it be a reminder of something you never want to experince again. You can do it just believe in your self. I hope i can overcome this obstacle once in forall. but in regards to your question about klonopin they do give you that in treatment and it does help some people all it did to me was drop my blood pressure and made me feel worse, but alot of stuff doesnt work for me. So good luck and becareful what you take.
I started off taking hydrocodone when prescribed for my wisdom teeth getting pulled, and I remember being in high school and doing random drugs recreationally and decided that I like the feeling. They were 10 mg hydrocodones. After taking about 30-50mg of hydrocodone at a time to get high, I was introduced to roxy, 30mgs. The first time I took it I loved the way it made me feel. I had never went back to hydrocodone, except when I broke my foot. I took about 60-160mgs a day of roxys, but because I took them only every other day, or every few days, when I stopped I didn't go through hardly any withdrawals, even after over a year of this. Then I went off to college and started doing them every day around 3-7 30mg roxys a day, and after about a year I've decided that I don't want to live this way anymore... My girlfriend has no idea I take them, and I've done awful, unforgiveable things to get money for the pills, and I want to turn my life around. I've hurt my family, and they no longer trust me anymore. I've stolen money from every member of my family, and I feel like I can never been seen the way that I used to to them, and that's why I never quit, because I felt like I might as well feel good. My parents don't know exactly what i've been taking, but I'm sure they have an idea. I just want to be an honest person again, and not hide behind the high of opiates, I don't want to hurt loved ones anymore and I want to be looked at as a good person. It's been a week since i've done ant opiates, and the worst part of the withdrawals ended by about the 4th or 5th day, and I can now at least sleep, and work without wanting to kill myself. I don't want to step on anyones beliefs, but i feel that one day God can use my experience to help others out of there as well. I don't want to feel like this again, nor would I want anyone to feel this way. I just keep looking forward to the day that I wake up feeling good again, without using any drug. I want this more than anything, and I've only used roxys recreationally for a long time, and I don't think the high is worth losing your life for. I'm also looking forward to getting a paycheck and not instinctively calculating it into how many pills i can get with it, but actually being able to pay my bills without working overtime with my dad or begging other servers for their shifts. I'm getting ready to go to bed with a slight feeling of crawling skin and muscle and headaches, but not enough to keep me awake any longer, and I'm praying to God that I will wake up feeling much better.
ive been abusing oxys, roxis, perks, vikes, i quit 13 days ago using a suboxin treatment and with the subs. i felt decent still sweat and didnt sleep much but the worst parts didnt happen. this is my 2nd time quiting this year. the last time i went cold turkey and it was the hardest thing ive ever done in my life this time it wasnt. any way my question is since it has been 13 days i dont know why i still cant sleep. i am napping not sleeping. mind is racing constantly but cannot seem to feel Good? feel depressed lazy and angry. any suggestions?
i have been on roxy 30's 3 times a day for over 3 years. they are art the point where it doesn't help much. with the cdhange in the weather i have taken 4-5 a day for a week now . and now i am out for the next 5 days. i  want to die!!! on top of the oxy i take trazadone, re3stiril, ultran, lamictal, robaxin and a few others i cant rember. i am bi-polar which doesnt help. i hurt from head to toe i can't cough without messing my pants. i have never felt this bad in my life. any help would be great !!!
I'm not sure how long its been since you posted but any one reading this, suboxone is absolutley amazing I took vicodin,perx,norco all from the doc then needed more n more then after 4 yrs and 3-4 grand a month spent on a habbit it was fed up. Now my mistake was getting the suboxone on the street then taking too much bcuz I was not mentally prepared, so when I ran out I freaked out even though it had been over a month, then I was hospitalized and they put me on painkillers thru my iv, and as anyone knows the LAST thing any one wants to do is get sick I would rather DIE than get sick again, mentally emotionally and financially I became sick of it once again but this time after 6months our local methadone clinic began offering treatment for suboxone, as I would advise anyone to NEVER try methadone its worse than anything and u don't detox, its only about 350$ to start the treatment and that covers 3 visits and the script either film or pill, you don't get sick you don't withdrawl (withdrawal) at all you can even break the pills into 6 pieces, I have a HIGH tollerance and was able to make my first 3pills last five days, most suboxone programs are not cheap but then again neither is buying pills by any means! Suboxone saved my life litterally I went from suicide and broke to just so much better in 48hrs, if you look on the suboxone website it will locate a doc for you as. Well as the toll free number they provide 24 hr assistance, I hope this helped someone somewhere, I didn't have help bcuz no one knew I was even that messed up and it hurt
I believe anyone can become addited to anything.  I had back surgery and I was taking oxy I also have aniexy so I take xanax deadly combination if not done right.  This is what my doctor who I trust with my life.  He said if your body is in pain and you take the medicine during your time of pain coming off of it you will not have with drawls.  In my case and 4 months later I came of the Oxy 40mg and onto Norco 10 80mg a day 8 months later I am on norco 10 only 30mg a day we are trying to get down slow but I DID NOT HAVE WITHDRAWLS FROM THE OXY.  My body needed it and when the need was gone my body reacted to that and I thank God for that everyday.  I have lost relatives to this drug and had many fears taking it at all.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

that1gal
I want you to  know that taking Trazadone to take the edge off is not a very good idea...as I went through a Trazadone withdrawl (withdrawal) and that IS NOT FUN either...gl with that one!!
I stopped the opiates in January and have lost muscle along w/ motivation to do anything other than, try to get much lost sleep.Im sneezing and yawning and, have had a good belly laugh w/ my sis. I have 0 energy. I wonder if I will ever get the stuff I need to having a decent life of fishing and camping biking,etc.. I am 50yrs and been on the sh t for over 12yrs. any one been here and over that?? know where Im coming from?
I hope this can strenghthen people on here. I have been on percs, oxy for about 7 years (legally) and am now on day 3 of my last oxy. The first day was tough, the hot, hot skin, sweating, achy.....day 2 little less than day 1 and today, just a little stomach thing going on but nothing Amodium can't take care of. I actually went to IHOP this morning and pigged out, and have been eating fine all day. I don't know if it is because the last year or so, I would finish my month supply of oxy 2 weeks early and then take Suboxone for the next 2 weeks until I got a refill. Whatever the case, This was not bad at all. I hope I am not jinxing myself and wake up tomorrow in pure hell but I was pleasantly surprised with if you keep your mind strong, you can definitely do it cold turkey. Suboxone worked awesome but that is 100 times tougher to withdraw from STAY AWAY from Suboxone. It is an opiate also. I have never posted on one of these but I am seeing too many horror stories that actually scared me from quitting, so I just wanted everyone to know, it is not bad at all. Just tell yourself you have the flu and by day 3, you will feel better. I actually had sex with my wife twice today. It has been months since I even wanted to because of this HORRIBLE drug.!!!
A little more about me, I am 4o year old male, and like I said, been on percs and oxy's for about 7 years. And I have been prescribed all this crap legally because of three torn discs in my back. I did the snorting (before they made the oxy a jell pill) then just chewed them and snorted the percs. So I was getting them legally, but still not using them like I should have been.
Bottom line, YOU CAN DO IT CT!!!! Its the only way. Like I said, a couple of days kinda rough (but very managable) and day three, you will be going to IHOP and pigging out. I am sure if I bought them off the street and spent my life savings on them, I would probably have te depression that comes with it , but since I got them from a doctor, I don't feel bad about that. Who knows....Just be strong!!!
I am hoping this will bring out some more success stories about the WD not being bad at all. I was just reading some of these posts where people had to check into the ER after 4 or 5 days, ITS ALL IN HOW STRONG YOUR MIND IS.
I guess it is true, everyone is different but for someone that has been on them for 7 years, I was really expecting it to be a whole lot worse by reading these horror stories.
Like I said, everyone handles it differantly so I just wanted to share my SUCCESS story. DAY 3 and feeling good.....
Good luck everyone and be strong !!!!
ok i just want to say one thing to everyone dont switch taking painkillers for another drug like clonidine or xanax or anything like that because every single drug is addicting and for nausua dont take anything but something to coat ur stmach not another drug because if u take drugs to come off drugs what the hell is the point! good luck everyone
I'm on day 4, still feelin pretty weak, but i'm confident i'm kickin it cold turkey.Thanks 4 everybody who put some good advice on the table. I found some comfort in alot of these stories goin back 10 yrs now. Everyone stay strong, seriously.... i'd rather have my life takin away by a gun, then takin away by these f#ckin pills. wish me luck.Thanks again to those who added their input, to help stregthn' all of us goin thru this mess.
YOU CAN DO IT!
After 4 months of doing 2 20s per day for the knee replacement, I realized I was at the end of the prescription supply, and needed to act before they were gone and I was stuck. I decided on Thursday morning not to take the pill. I made it through Thursday and Thurs. night feeling anxious.
Friday was not fun. I started getting the sweats and the chills, would get hot and then cold all day long. I fell asleep on the floor watching TV Friday night. When I awoke, I felt like a truck had run me over. I was hurting and chilling and hot and cold all at once. But I wanted OFF these damned pills. I set the pills, 21 of them, next to my bed, and thought, "If I want off them bad enough, I just won't take them!"
It was one of the hardest things I ever did, but I didn't take anymore. On saturday night, I flushed the 21 remaining OxyContin, and 60 OxyCodone "breakout" pills down the toilet.
It's 2 weeks later. I feel nearly back to my old self. I do have some mood swings, and hints of the chills now and then, but nothing I can't handle.

You have to hate these pills, and get it in your head that you can beat them. They are the Devil's poison. When I see my doctor on 7-26-11, I plan to cuss the ****** out for 2 hours for not warning me about these hideous friggin' things. I had NO idea what I was in for.

Good luck. Love yourself more than the buzz, and you'll be ok.
SERIUOSLY EVERYONE with (the problem) sickness! Keep reading these things, they help! I'm hooked,i will take any opiate (just like you !) to avoid withdraws.Here it is again ! lets get our a##*# off this ride and stay off.Don't take chances if you have high b.p. see your doc,or go to the E.R.Don't take any benzos if you dont know what their like,you could die.From all my reading on these site postings that go back for years,tapering off could be the answer.Could someone/everyone that tapering worked for please let the rest of us know how your doing.God bless whoever started this site (really!) your underpaid.Just by reading these at least I know (wow) were not alone.There is lots of advice from those like me who knows what it's like.Please keep reading and do the right thing.This is a HUGH monster that will gobble us all up if we let it.I often ask/tell myself this is not worth it.Respect the MONSTER don't feed it.Listen,if you find the way,please let us know how so maybe it will work for someone elese too! Be STRONG !
So, alot of you have similar problems of widthdrawing from oxy's some on low doses most on high.  I can tell you that it does get easier each time you do it.  The first time (if you've taken them for a good 6 months or more) is really hard.  I suggest taking clonidine to help with a few symptoms (From wikipedia) "Clonidine is regularly prescribed to help alleviate opiate withdrawal symptoms. It is mainly used to combat the sympathetic nervous system response to opiate withdrawal, namely tachycardia and hypertension, in the initial days of withdrawals.[7] It helps take away the sweating, hot/cold flushes, and general restlessness. The sedation effect is also useful although its side effects can include insomnia, thus exacerbating an already common feature of opiate withdrawal."  The only downside I've found with this is that it can make you really tired when you're in so much physical pain that you just can't sleep.  But it really depends on how bad off you are but it will help you regardless.  Fight the sleepiness with caffeine if you have to.  If you have back pain lyrica might help (can probably get free samples from your dr).  I know it's worse when you're withdrawing from street use but it's still possible to get clonidine from a dr if you really want it.  Hot baths will help also.  Don't smoke when you're coming off it, might sound weird but I've found I hurt a lot more when I'd smoke when withdrawing.  I've been on 320mg oxy for a very long time and I finally had enough of it, it's goin fine.  Still get that urge occasionally but for the most part it's nice to have my brain back.  It's strange how much your mind is taken from you and others kinda notice it but you can't exactly change it without getting off it I don't think.  I've tried to go back to being who I was b4 the oxy's and while on them I just wasn't the same me.  Here's to hoping it changes being off them.  Another thing that does help is water and exercise.  Might be difficult (exercise) on the first or second day but after that try hard to get even a couple minutes in of running or riding a bike or what you enjoy doing.  Hope this helps someone, getting off this stuff is a nightmare, but I promise you it's worth it even if it feels impossible.  
Hi I'm 29yrs old, I been taking loritabs for about 3 yrs now, its an opiate, basically like legal heroin, I'm seriously spending $50-$60 faithfully. Day, I desperately am crying alone at night for help. I'm opening up my business within the next month and I'm afraid of failing, failing on my kids, family friends, and most of all, failing myself! This is my lively hood and I can't fail! Can some one please as I cry help me?!  My email is ***@****
Hey bud, first off, if you still have tears in your eyes reading this, then take a few deep breathes for me and try to take any solace you can in the fact that you are not alone.
All addicts (especially those who have someone depending on them) go through someone either like this, or exactly what you are feeling now.

I wont go into too much detail again because i just made a post 10 mins ago supporting the medication im about to recommend you, so if your interested in it, take a look at my other post or google it yourself.
Suboxone.

(Like in other post): I was an addict for roughly 2 to 3 years. Hooked on roxys and it didnt take long to go from nose candy to vein candy. Ive ruined my life and betrayed those who i love the most. I regret every single thing i have ever done in the name of the addiction and i too cry alot over it because some people choose to never let me forget what i did.

Even right now, i want it. Even though i know how bad it is and the damage it WILL do, just the fact i saw some a#$hole today nodding out and trying to sell me OC80s, i am half regretting turning him down. In the long run, i was smart and made the right decision.... but now? I feel like breaking down and just doing it.

Sorry for having digressed, but just saying that made me feel alittle better. My point: Look into suboxone. Since im no doc, dont take it as medical advice. Just a friendly suggestion.
Suboxone helped me quit that garbage once and for all. Maybe it can help you too
i heard suboxone or subs have side effects on quitting as well. Is this true or misleading?????
i was hooked on suboxone for 2 years after i withdrew from oxy's methadone and phentanyl. Startes at 16mg a day under the tongue. Then went doen 4 mgs a day until i got to 2mg a day. Then went through hell to get off that. I was hooked everyday for 5 years and have been clean for three years. Still kinda feel reoccurring symptoms here and there. My body will never be the way it was prior to the addiction
I took suboxone for about two years. When I started taking this as treatment for a heroin addiction I used 8mg/day. After 3 or 4 months I would only take 2mg/day. This lasted for more than year...I decided it was time to stop using this and be clean from everything. KI decided to break the 2mg in half and take 1mg/day for some time, probably 4months or so. When I stopped taking the sub's it wasn't bad at all. Sleep was really the only symptom that bothered me. I mean, sneezing, a little teary eyed, minor leg aches were also there, but those were gone after 2 days. My appetite was excellent, my mood was actually pretty good. I was surprised because of all the negative posts on the internet. Again, sleeping through the night didn't happen for about 8-9 days. You will sleep, just not much. I fell asleep every night at 3 then waking at 5:30-6:00...this happened every night religiously for 8-9 days. Sleep started to regulate itself after that.

It is nothing like heroin or methadone.
I currently take about 200 mgs of oxycontin a day, for pain and then it got a little out of control, i have tried to stop cold turkey but it is almost impossible for me. I just got some suboxone but have to wait until tomorrow to take it. How long do you have to wait from your last dose of oxycontin to take suboxone? I have heard about 24 hours? Is that true? Also, how many mgs of suboxone do you think is needed for me? Please help me out! I want to quit so badly and want to be clean for the rest of my life. I lost my girlfriend, my apartment, and now losing my family. I am in a very rough position but it is all my fault and i have no one else to blame except for myself for my stupid and ignorant actions. Also i would love talking to people that have been in the same boat as myself before for motivation! Any help will do! Thank everyone sooo much!    

Zach.
Yeah...that's great advise... Get on xanex...lol... I was taking 800-1200 mg of oc a day... I stopped cold turkey.... I started on xanex to help with the stress and to sleep... I now am addicted to benzos..... Withdrawn from benzos makes withdrawn from oc feel like a cake walk with the pope... Beating oc is mind over matter and a week or two tops of withdrawl (withdrawal)....benzo, u have no mind. U can't function, think, focus, nothing... Then the suicidal thoughts come, especially after uv laid thinking uv been off benzo a month or so, laying in bed with no sleep, racing thoughts, no will to move, unable to speak on the phone, only to realize uv been off 3 days.... Hell.... Hell that won't go away. That's benzo. And there is nothing to help except.....say it with me....BENZO.. no med that help ease the withdrawl (withdrawal). No subox. Nothing.... Please, if uv never been addicted to a different drug, don't suggest a person trying to get clean use a different narcotic to do so.... Stay the hell away from benzo. U can get off oc there is help if u can't do it alone. There is no help for benzo.
ive been takin 7  40mg for couple years . i cut down to 6   3 days ago , i plan on cuttin down 1 40mg pill every 2 weeks.is that a good idea and what kind of a ride am i lookin at ? please anyone ideas welcome
hello.  I ca feel your pain from here.  My name is Terry.  I am a recovering addict and have been so for 10 yrs.The past year , I have been diagnosed with osteo arth. I went to a pain clinic and the doctor put me on oxcy's.240 mg a day for about 8 months.  I was feeling so bad that I went to another doctor and told him that I needed to get off these oxcy's.It's been about 6 weeks and I still get quite nausious, but it is getting better.  I am no longer on the oxcy's.  These pills are much harder to detox from than any drug of choice in the past.. I am a proud member of NA and if I had not been in recovery when the doctor put me on these pills ,I would be scared as well.  But I know with the help of others., I can do it.   And so can you.  Get help now.  contact NA in your area.  Let other people who are dealing with the same situations as you help you.  God bless,   and Merry Christmas
The answer to your prayer is NA
Hi you are posting on a thread that is almost 12 years old.None of these people are here anymore.Just letting you know
THIS IS MY ISSUE...  I went into a rehab for 90 days and NA/AA came in two to three times a day and brought meetings in... among other classes we had from 6am to 10pm at night.. it was a very strict program... i listened very closely and started to believe that I could actually STAY OFF OF ROXY COTINS AND ALCOHOL.. I had been taking about 8/30mg pills and drank a half of bottle of rum each day. Before rehab I oded and went into a coma for eight days from drinking and pills and was diagnosed with "wet brain."  WHICH I MIACUIOUSLY OVERCAME IN TIME! I went through the 90 days and when I got out I went directly to meetings and decided i was going to change my life.. I had a year old daughter and I didnt want her to grow up knowing that her mother was an addict. At the meetings I tried to talk to people and it seemed that they had already formed their cliques and wanted nothing to do with a newcomer that they werent ABSOLUTLY SURE was in it for the long haul... I asked someone to be my sponsor and since i didnt drive and at times when the busses weren't running I would ask for a ride and it always seemed as if I was putting them out.. My sponsor told me to call her every night and I missed one night and she told me she could no longer sponsor me.. it was too much for her, hence she was only two years clean and i was her first sponsee . i then picked a sponsor that has 25 years clean and shortly after I had her she blew me off and stopped returning my calls, excuse being that she didn't go to meetings every night and she was going through a bad divorice. I had a gotten a job and a month later i got laid off.. I ENDED UP RELAPSING.. NO FAULT OF ANYONE, JUST MY OWN STUPIDITY!  I felt really slow and dumb with no courage when I was clean... i started by drinking then went back to using percocets.. I continued to go to meetings every now and then. I then went to using roxys and morphine and told myself IT HAD TO STOP!!!  i RAN OUT OF PEOPLE TO GET IT FROM AND THE ONE THAT I COULD COST MORE THEN I MADE SO I WENT COLD TURKEY... I couldn't take care of my daughter.. her father who i lived with as well watched her... i lost my job.. i tossed and turned couldnt sleep got cold sweats threw up continuiously got lead legs, and all the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE THINGS THAT COME ALONG WITH DETOXING... I THOUGHT I WAS LITERALLY GOING OUT OF MY MIND... AFTER ABOUT A WEEK AND A HALF IT GOT EVEN WORSE AND I CALLED EVERY SINGLE NUMBER THAT I HAD GOTTEN FROM THE PEOPLE IN NA/AA AND BEGGED THEM TO PLEASE HELP ME... TAKE ME TO A MEETING TAKE ME TO DETOX SIT WITH ME AND TALK ANY THING THAT THEY MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO TO MAKE ME FORGET WHAT I WAS GOING THROUGH WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE ANYTHING!!! THE RESPONSES I GOT WAS I LIVE TO FAR AWAY, I CAN'T MAKE IT TONIGHT, CALL SOMEONE ELSE, ETC... I WAS DEVESTATED I TOLD ONE OF THE WOMAN THAT WHEN THEY CAME TO SPEAK AT REHAB THEY TOLD US THAT THEY WOULD GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO HELP A SUFFERING ALCOHOLIC OR ADDICT AND HER RESPONSE WAS IM REALLY BUSY WITH WORK AND MOVING AND WHEN I ASKED HER FOR OTHER PHONE NUMBERS SHE SAID SHE'D GET BACK TO ME AND I NEVER HEARD FROM HER... IT WAS THE ABSOLUTE WORST TWO AND A HALF WEEKS OF MY LIFE... IT GOT TO THE POINT WHERE MY LEGS WERE SO HEAVY AND I COULDN'T EVEN GET OUT OF BED, YET I COULDN'T JUST LAY THERE I WAS IN SO MUCH PAIN I JUST CRIED AND PRAYED AND BEGGED FOR THE PAIN TO GO AWAY... AFTER THE MAJOR PAIN MY DEPRESSION KICKED IN AND I WAS SO HELPLESS AND FELT I HAD NO WHERE TO TURN... MY SOLUTION, WHICH I ABSOLUTLY DON'T SUGGEST WAS TO TAKE A PILL...BUT THIS TIME I WAS GONNA BE IN CONTROL ON THE AMOUNT I WOULD TAKE... THIS WAS SIX MONTHS AGO..  I got a really good professional job I started to take my daughter out, I took care of the house, I got close to my family again got a very nice apartment, I paid off my outstanding bills made friends who didn't sit around and talk about drugs all the time, etc... THE PROBLEM... NOW THE DOSES ARE GETTING HIGHER, THE PILLS AREN'T WORKING SO WELL, WHERE AS THEY USED TO GIVE ME ENERGY THEY MAKE ME TIRED, THEY DON'T MAKE ME SO HAPPY ANYMORE I TAKE THEM SO I DON'T GET SICK, IT'S GETTING COSTLY... MY POINT: IT SEEMS LIKE A VICIOUS CYCLE AND I HAD SOME REALLY BAD EXPERIENCES WITH NA/AA... I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHERE TO TURN OR WHAT TO DO AT THIS POINT.. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY SOLUTIONS... I WILL NEVER GO COLD TURKEY AGAIN BUT I'D LIKE TO STOP WITHOUT HAVING TO TELL MY FAMILY OR BOYFRIEND OR EXPLAIN WHY I MIGHT BE WEAK OR WHY IM NO LONGER HAPPY GO LUCKY OR OUTGOING ETC... I'M PRETTY SCARED AT THIS POINT AND ONLY HAVE ONE PERSON I CAN CONFIDE IN.. SHE IS NOT AN ADDICT SHE CAN TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT SO I DON'T QUITE THINK SHED UNDERSTAND WHY I CAN'T JUST STOP... SORRY IF I BORED ANYONE... WHILE I AM STILL ABLE TO FUNCTION AND TAKE CARE OF WHAT I NEED TO WHAT SHOULD I DO??? WHERE DO I START??? I KEEP THINKING TAKING MORE AND MORE WILL MAKE ME HAPPY AND MAKE ME FEEL LIKE WHEN I FIRST RE-STARTED BUT ALL I FEEL IS NOT SICK!!! ALSO BEFORE ANYBODY FIGURES IT OUT,UNLESS OF COURSE IM JUST FOOLING MYSELF AND THEY ALREADY KNOW???
Please start a new thread so people will see!! people here r awesome & will give u support, that i can promise u!! post a new thread , just copy & paste this please. Thinking of u tonight!!
i'm kind of new to computers how do i do this.. cause id really like to get comments and replies to my confusing situation... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TELLING ME COULD YOU JUST EXPLAIN IN DETAIL WHAT I HAVE TO DO???
go to the very first message in this thread & to the left on top it will say "back to forum" click on that then there should be something on the top of that page that says "Post a question" click that & post ur question. There is a lot of great people on here that can & will do all they can to help!
I am so sorry to hear of your situation and how so many people have turned their backs on you when you thought you had a solid support system. None of those people should be offering their help if they don't fully mean it.

I hope you are doing better now, but if you are still stuck, I would suggest checking yourself into a rehab centre where they can monitor you, and support you through the WD process. I know how horrible it can be, I am in the middle of taking a break from decreasing my dose of oxy. My next decrease will be in April, but until then I have all sorts of anxiety over what the WD will be like. I went to the ER and they treated me so horribly, like maybe if they treated me less then human, I might learn my lesson and not get myself in this situation again.
Anyway, a 24hr rehab centre is my suggestion. They will help you. It is probably expensive, but so is the drug, so is not working, and so is the possibility of loosing everyone and everytng important to you.

Good luck, I know we all have it in ourselves to get clean if the determination is there :)
I am pretty new to this - how long does it take for withdrawal symptoms to disappear? I was a little better at the taper and got down to 20mg of oxycontin once a day X 2 days, but I am worried about my family and I am not sure I can handle withdrawals on top of the chronic pain returning.
IIf i could sleep at night o know i can tackle my addiction! I take vicodin oxicodone and others! The worse part about trying to quit is the no sleep is there anything i can do for sleep?
I couldnt get out of bed for 6days , much less ride a bike, but i was doing 10 60s a day, but I do agree with mild (30mg a day) withdrawel symptoms a bike ride, walk, or driving and listing to music is helpful, just dont listen to sad music, youll start crying for no reason, gl
I dont think so, unless you get professional treatment
I'm currently on my 6th day without oxys. I was taking around 210 mg a day for the last month but I was only prescribed 180mg so I ran out way early. I've been on them for around four years and never ran out but the beast finally caught up with me and I went nuts with them. I had went through coke, and methadone withdrawal when I was younger. The coke wasn't so bad the methadone was pretty rough but nothing compared to what I'm going through with now. Most of my physical symptoms have let up but I do have legitimate severe pain problems and 10 advil a day probably cant be sustained so I'm still finding my way. Theres no easy fix. If you get in the right NA group it can be helpful others not so much. Ultimately I'm relying on my family & God. I'm gonna turn over all my money to my mom and she will make sure I'm only buying things that aren't drugs. I've told my Dr not to prescribe anymore and perhaps most importantly, you absolutely HAVE TO burn all bridges with other users including your dad. You CANNOT be around users and maintain your sobriety. Sometimes you'll feel like youre trying to break out of hell and hands keep pulling you back. I chose to start seeing myself as a phoenix. The firebird who rises from the ashes and soars again! A little corny I know but it works for me. I'll keep you in my prayers Samantha. It may take more will than you've ever summoned but you can do it! Keep your goals in mind and keep digging in that well of strength within you.