Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Pain killers and methadone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Pain killers and methadone

I just posted the question of about how long would it take for a person who is addicted to pain killers and morphine to begin the detox process after his last dose but it isn't morphine it is methadone. Also, Is this detox dangerous when we have taken them competly away from him?
Taking away someone's Methadone,if they have been on it for months or years,could quite possibly be deadly. This is no joking matter at all. Trying to help someone get off of Methadone going cold turkey,is completely dangerous. I know from personal experience and it almost killed me physically and mentally.I'm not trying to scare anyone in this  situation,but I will recommend having that person get professional help in detoxing from Methadone. I couldn't afford it and I almost killed myself on numerous ocassions. I went to the hospital about a total of 10 times with panic
attacks that were so bad,I wanted to die or kill people from the excruciating withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.
I broke my hand after punching a solid wood cabinet and didn't even feel a thing compared to all the other debilitating mental and physical effects of withdrawl (withdrawal). Please get all the info you need to make this decision happen the right way. Good luck and God Bless.
you should NEVER take someones meds away from them under any circumstances...methadone is nothing to mess around with...if he wants to detox then HE can do a slow taper with your help...but it is up to him, not you. you cannot MAKE someone stop doing drugs, especially if he isnt ready. why does he take methadone? is it for pain reasons? i recommend you give him his meds back and let him be the one to decide when he has had enough...if he is taking for pain then that is just plain cruel and selfish of you.  ho wlong has he been on methadone? what is his dose? you could really hurt him physically and mentally by taking his methadone away from him, methadone withdrawals can be extremely dangerous, especially if FORCED! if they want to stop taking pain killers and methadone he should be under doctors care or a detox program for this., not ALONE TO SUFFER....