Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Pain relief

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Pain relief

Does anyone know if Suboxone can used as a PRN (for migraines) rather than daily. I'm having so many migraines, but the acetaminophen or ibuprofen in the pain pills cause rebound headaches and it is just a viscous cycle.

Thanks for the support.  You all rock!
Temgesic (sub) is the European communities form of pain relief RX - - didnt touch my pain so I wasnt interested in it.  Not available in US for pain relief......only allowed to be prescribed for opiate abuse. Dont think its too good for prn pain - the stuff is so goofy with pharmacology and half lives that you would have to take it a day and a half before sceduled headache.......but you would be good to go for rebound headache!!!

You might find that methadone is better for your purposes.........
ummm...controversial but buprenex/temgesic was a pain med before it became a detox med...migraines are unique tho...not like back pain and such...it is a pain reliever tho and does not necesarily have to be used everyday..in fact for pain would be best not to cos as with most narcs..over time it will lose effectiveness
Addict if they are migraines then they need migranie med sub is NOT a migraine med .There are many many migraine meds on the market now .I would discuss choices with your doctor
I started Suboxone last saturday for pain management NOT for WDs. It is NOT U.S. approved for pain management but my doc loves it and LOTS of his patients are on it for management. His office staff ALL think its the new miracle drug. One of the side effects "that I had" was headaches, but thats just me. It does work for pain but NOT like the other pain meds, its different. And after 1 week I found that I couldnt afford it so its back to Roxycodone as of today. Im bummed it was pretty nice.

greg
well...i didnt think of that but that is a major side effect of sub...headaches....it is just really best to discuss decisions like this with ur pain mgt doctor...as we are not doctors here...pharmacists can also help u with decisions like this and give good advice
in fact narcotics in genrsal are not recommended for headaches...migraines are caused by wither dilation or constriction of ur vessles so u need a med that addresses that..good luck but sub is not the answer for everything and it is a dangerous narcotic
i take 10mgs of methadone a day for chronic pain management and it works very well for me. but you should probably talk with your doc about all the different migraine meds like avisg said there are a lot on the market today.