Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Paracetamol and codeine (co-codamol) addiction.....info and help!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hi everyone, so here's my story summed up briefly....
I was sexually abused as a child by an uncle, i am now taking him to court, i am on fluoxetine 60g, 600mg pregabalin (prescribed by my psychiatrist) and i used to take 5mg of diazepam if needed and i currently alternate 10mg's at night with zopiclone, i now take between 16 and 20 co-codamol a day (8/500) and have been doing so for the past 2 months, i take them because i like the "buzz" i get off them, i told my doctor who told me to go to ER for paracetamol overdose, so i did, after waiting 1/2 hour to see a triage nurse i was then seated for an extra half hour before they took my blood samples, after waiting another hour for the results the nurse said i was fine, i explained that my doctor said i should see the crisis team, but he was very dismissive of this and sent me on my way....i cant stop taking the tablets, i dont take diazepam during the day any more but cant get through the day without the "buzz" of the tablets, i am experiencing no odd side effects but am so scared about whats going to happen if i keep taking them, so i guess what i want to know is, what is the long term effects of taking them?? am i at large risk now of long term damage? when will i seriously start seeing the bad effects??
Any advice would be great, thank you all in advance.
Long term effects! Liver damage,
I was taking paracetamol and codeine just like you,for the same reasons,I was sexually abused as a child also and I found it numbed my emotions and feelings,I also liked the buzz.
I had a routine blood test and in 2 years my liver function test results had more than tripled,
It will only get harder to quit the longer you take them.
Go back to your doctor and tell him/her what happened at the ER,they will be able to help you with a plan for quitting,
I quit C/T after 20 years of abusing codeine off and on,but that way is not for everyone you need to work out what will be best for you.

Take Care and keep posting  

Denise
I have been back to my gp and she has prescribed me just codeine, I'm not ready to quit them, I can't get through my day without them, once the courtcase is over and done with I know that I'll be able to stop them, i feel better now though knowing im not overdosing on paracetamol everyday!