Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Parenting a baby of a vicodin addict

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Parenting a baby of a vicodin addict

Forgive me if this question has come up before, but I just joined and I'm not sure how to search the archives.  My wife and I are in our mid-50s, and we are foster-parenting a 4-week old infant born of a vicodin addict (yes, she was taking vicodin during her pregnancy, as well as smoking, drinking, etc.).

The baby seems "normal" most of the time, but last night, he was crying uncontrollably, and was completely inconsolable.  It was so bad, my wife took him to the ER, but there was little they could do.

He had a slight temperature, and was vomiting (well, more like the normal puking an infant does when they've had too much formula).  The ER said he was having reflux problems and prescribed some medication to deal with that.

He's such a sweet little boy, it breaks my heart to see him turn beet-red and cry his heart & lungs out, while my wife and I stand by doing nothing, other than comforting him, and making sure his diapers are clean, and feeding him (when he will take it).

I guess my question is: what are the symptoms of vicodin addiction in infants?  What (if anything) can we do as foster-parents to help the baby as he works it out of his system?  
-2 Comments Post a Comment
At 4 weeks any of the Vics should be out of his system. Even a adult going thru withdrawels would be long finished with them at 4 weeks. So the baby is probaly just not feeling well. Poor thing, just treat him like he a normal little one thats not feeling to good. He should be fine.....But I'm no doctor.
I agree with flmagi... I have a 10 month old and she was not born an addict, because I wouldn't even take a tylonal while I was pregnant with her, but, I still remember very vividly the seemingly endless nights of crying! Its is tough, but, I would say that he is just being a typical baby... give much love and comfort him. Of course in disclosure, I am also no doctor. Best of Wishes to you and the little one!
Thank you both -- its been 14 years since my youngest was born, and even though like riding a bike, you never forget how to parent, I guess I had forgotten how tough those midnight feedings can be!
Anytime... but you did the right thing. When in doubt always consult with a dr.. I probably would have done the same thing. Actually, I kept my mother-in-law up all hours for the first couple of weeks because I had no idea why the baby was crying and I always thought that something was wrong... its the instinct, whether the baby is yours or not...
By the way sometimes it can be solved with a little tiny dose of mylacon drops, these are for baby belly aches. Often times that is the reason for the fuss. I learned this the hard way. I would get some and try it, those little bellies often get upset that early in life, learning to break down foods and all. Best Luck to you...
Thanx for the suggestion -- we'll give it a try!
I took percoect while I was pregnant, as directed only, and this baby is an angel.....I didn't with my first child and he was collicky as heck and cried and cried unconsollably all day and night!  I guess you just never know! :)
flmagi, my wife just called and tells me the doctors said the same thing you did: that after four-weeks, any vicodin that was in his little system has been flushed out.

So now we're not sure what is causing these sporadic episodes of uncontrollable crying.  During the daytime, he's the sweetest little thing you could ever want, and even his nitetime feedings and changings are no worse than usual.

But about 2-3 times in his short little life (and always at nite, like 2-3 in the morning), he just completely freaks out to the point that it literally scared my wife to death last nite, so much so that she took him to the ER.

Hopefully the reflux meds will help, and she's gonna try mylocan also.

Thank you all so much for your kind words of support.