Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
People about to start Suboxone: Please wait at least 24 hours!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I know that this addiction sucks, and the withdrawals make you feel like there is no pain in the world worse than this.  And I also know that by nature, we are all looking for a "quick fix" to any situation.  But for anyone who is going to start using Suboxone as a treatment, please do not take your last pill at night, go to sleep, and then start the Sub when you wake up.  If a doctor or nurse tells you at least 12 hours, WAIT LONGER.  I know that withdrawal is the most horrible feeling in the world, and why go through it at all if your doctor says that you only have to be without your drug for 12 hours, but believe me, the pain you will feel if you don't wait long enough is much, much worse.  The Sub will attack the opiates still left in your system, and will cause you to go into precipitated withdrawal.  This has happened to a lot of people on this forum.  I was lucky, and didn't have the money to get my Suboxone until I was in day 3 of full withdrawal, and that's why it made me feel so good, and probably also why only 4 mg. worked like a charm for me.  So my advice is to tough it out, realize that you are going to have to feel a little bit of pain before you feel better, and wait as long as you can...at least 24 hours.  You can ONLY feel better once you feel your worst, and once you have hit bottom, there is only upward to go.
Stacy
I think everyone is different, cause I was only clean for 12 hours, and had taken a huge amount the day before starting suboxone.  I only needed 2 mg and felt amazing the next day.  I think it might go with how much vicodin you are use to....I'm not sure, but I only waited 12 hours and felt great taking the Sub.  Are you on Sub?  If so how is it working for you??
You should not be telling people to wait 24 hours. that is NOT true for everyone and could cause people to be in unnecessary pain. The pain meds don't have a half life and should be out of your system in about 6 hours, depending on the type.

I waited 15 hours and did just fine.

Let's be careful when handing out information.  What is good for one, is not necessarily good for another. There is no definitive for Suboxone.
well i transitioned from methadone...i waited 5 full days before taking my first dose of sub...i was put into immediate precipitated withdrawals, there is nothing i can say to express to you how horrible it was,,, i have never felt anything like this in my whole damn life...always wait as long as you can...short acting opiods are usually a 12-18 hour wait...i was recommended 3 day wait tops for the methadone...and 5 days still wasnt long enough.  it was nothing but sheer hell for me for 4 days...
i took sub after 18 hours. my doctor told me 48 hours, but when i told him what i was taking [vicoden] he said that vicoden is out of your body in 24 hours.  so waiting longer is not nessecary, depending on what your using.  some people may use their drug of choice because of there pain.  i do not think anyone should have to suffer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we are addicts and are trying to quit, why suffer.  aren't we doing that enough, with our disease?
I agree with IBK , plus this is something that needs to be discussed with your SUB doctor ..... I realize as addicts we will begg borrow or steal for drugs ,we have no problem taking things we no nothing about ...I would strongly suggest you get sub from a doctor ...... not on the street.. If you need a change in sub dosage ASK YOUR DOCTOR....we are not doctors we can help in many ways but we need to be responsible with advice.
I am only saying to stick it out as long as you possibly can.  I know that everyone is different, and that was my point.  That know one knows what will work for them.  I was just saying that to be on the safe side, you should wait at least a day, just incase you are one of the people who have only waited 12 to 18 hours, and go into horrible precipitated withdrawal.  I only posted this in response to someone else's post, where they only waited 12 hours, and it wasn't long enough for them, and they couldn't even go to work that day.  I am only trying to say that if you CAN wait, it is better.  Also, I am not talking about people who have actual pain, as DENNI16 brought up, because people who have actual pain should not suffer.  I just think that for us addicts who do not have any other reason to take the meds, a little pain and suffering for a few more hours won't kill us, especially if it helps us kick the habit in the long run.  I'm sorry if I made anyone angry or upset.  I've just been reading so many posts about people suffering even more for not waiting long enough to take their first Sub dose, and most of them did not know anything at all about the drug before taking it.  My bad.
Wow!  2 mgs worked for you, that's awesome!  How much Vicodin how many times per day were you up to?  I was taking 3 of the 10/325's in the morning and 3 of them at night, so 60 mgs per day.  My first dose of Sub was 4 mgs, 64 hours after my last Vicodin, and I am wonderful.  For two and a half days, I couldn't stop shaking, my legs wouldn't stay still, I felt like my body was falling apart around me, and there was no sleep in sight.  I was mentally absent during my first two days of a new job, just counting the minutes and throwing up in the bathroom.  When I took that first Sub dose, it all went away like someone waved a magic wand, and I was back to my old self.  How is it working for you?
I wonder if that is why I feel crappy-ISH.  I am on subutex though, not suboxone.  My Doctor told me to wait two days.  SCREW THAT.  I was going into oxy w/d 6 hours after my last dose of 20mg XR.  I waited 18 hrs, thats all I could take.

Can subutex precipate w/d like suboxone does?
yes it can...