Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Percocet Addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Percocet Addiction

I am seventeen. About five weeks ago I was severly injured in a wrestling tournament. I fractured my sternum and underwent surgery to reset my chest and insert a titanium plate. During the interim time period I was given different pain medications for the intense pain. After I was discharged from the hospital, my doctor perscribed percocet. At first, I followed the perscription "to the t". However, now after the pain has subsided I find myself taking more than perscribed doses and unable to sleep until I have taken it. I fear that I am addicted. I have never used alchol or other recreational drugs that teenagers my age have experimented with, nor do I have a family history of drug abuse. If anyone can help me manage my problem, I would like to do so without my family's knowledge.
Hi, welcome to the forum.  Gosh, that is a short time to develop a problem but I guess when I think about it, I became addicted fairly quickly myself.  You said you did not want your family to know but you should be able to speak to your physician in confidence, do you think?  I know you are not 18 yet but still the physicians I have worked for would not have betrayed your confidence so you might think about doing that.  Otherwise, the only thing to do is to just stop taking the pills knowing that if you don't, the problem will only multiple in a very short period of time.  You can also try to taper if you feel that you might suffer withdrawal, but you have to have a lot of willpower to do that.  You might need to give your pills to someone you can trust and have them help you taper off.  But don't just go on what I have to say, wait until mid morning and you will have several other replys on here, probably much better than mine!  Good luck and I want you to know that I really admire you to recognizing that you might have a problem and wanting to do something about it!

Love, Cindy
Hey there, welcome.    Being underage aren't you unable to get more pills?  I don't know how long it takes to get physcially addicted to pills.   It sounds like the people who already responded know more about that.   If you stop and feel sick, you will just feel like you have the flu and it will pass in a few days.  

I also agree with trying to go to the dr.  and talk to him/her.   That would be ideal.   Keep us posted with your decision, ok.

tzt
hey there my friend. I can only speak for me. but I know that i can get addicted to anything in no time at all if I'm not careful. may I suggest that you talk to your doctor and let him/her know what is going on with you. and think it all the way through. are you feeling that you need them just to get by or is it really for the pain? really check yourself truthfully and honestly..  say to yourself. do i really need it or am I just wanting it? if you think you are using them just for the heck of it. then chances are, you need help... hope this worked. Cody.... email me anytime you feel you need to talk,. ***@****
i want to thank all of you for your help in my decision. I know that i have a problem, and that i am taking the medication no longer for pain. I have given my remaining pills to a good friend, and I hope to be able to kick the problem. Again, I really want to thank all of you for your support. I'll keep in touch to tell you how it is going