Percocet withdrawals, how long do they last?
I was prescribed percocets (5/325) about 1 1/2 years ago for chronic back pain (scoliosis mainly). I took them as prescribed for a while and then started increasing the dosage until I was taking upwards of 14 a day (I could take 8 per my script).

I decided about a week ago to stop. I tapered down to 8 a day, I guess that's not great but I just can't have them around me without taking them.

I have been without for 36 hours and of course I feel like hell in a hand basket. The longest I've ever gone is about 30 hours.

My question is: How long until I start to feel better? I am off of work for a week (I planned this to coincide with my vacation).
I would have gone into a detox or something but I have no one to take care of my house, etc.

I was on the exact same dosage 240 a month oxycodone 5/325. I am on day 5 without one and my energy is coming back fast. Checks some of the below post for the Thomas Recipe. A good vitamin regimen and lots of water. You in my opinion are past the hardest w/d period. Hang tough and don't take anymore.
jhollows right hang in there not long to go before you feel better and you will be proud that u did it u can do it at home i took a vac 1 week to get of this s**t and i did it Today is my 2 week mark and i feel great (Exepct sleepin wrong made my neck hurt but i know i can tough it out dont need no pills for sure) just keep counting the days take hot baths is the best thing ever remember not long to go
Thanks guys. I should have found this board before I started so I could have been better prepared.

I've been an addict/alcoholic since I was about 16. I've been detoxed for alcohol but never drugs. This is kicking my ass but being able to see a light at the end of the tunnel helps tremendously. I am glad I found this site, it has given me hope and for that I am grateful.

I knew better when I was prescribed these meds that I should not go near them but the addict in me told me I could handle it...the mind games are unreal!

I don't drink at all anymore, the pills became my one true love. I am sick and tired of being all consumed as to how many I have, where I am going to find more when I run out, etc.

I had to cancel a trip to see my first grandchild and that is just pathetic..

im on day 7 and i still fill shaky and i cant sleep ive try sleept time tea tyelonol i just want to fell normal again i took about 12 to 14 pills a day for back pain and i under went 2 magor surgeries any ideas.
I couldn't sleep either but I found benadryl helpful, that and nyquil worked wonders.  That and some advil to help with some of the aches and pains that always seem to crop up.
Unfortunately, there is no magic to feeling "normal"...it is going to take time and the fact that you are on day 7 is GREAT!! you're through the toughest part and as anyone in here that's kicked the habit can tell you, each day, it gets better and better!!!! I'm on day 15 and felt the same way you did day 7... all i wanted was for everything to go back to normal and feel normal...well, i'm on day 15 and it feels like i am close to that light at the end of the tunnel...

You've made it to day 7; congrats! Hang in there, it WILL get better!!!!
i'm on 46 hours and feel awful.  i was taking about 35mg of percs a day.  it started 4 yrs ago, where i was taking it for a chronic back condition(herniated disc) and i took it as told.  then i started to increase the dose on my own.  2 days ago i decided to just quit.  now i have no energy, and lots of anxiety.  help!
When I went to the doctor to start my suboxone program he told me symptoms of w/d can usually last 6 weeks. They get better after day 4 or 5 but the malaise, horrible cravings, sleeplessness and anxiety can last for weeks. I'm going off what the doc said I never made it more than 7 days going cold turkey. I'm on day 18 of the suboxone program.
Hi am a 30 year old mother and I've been addicted to percs, and methadone. I started taking percs when I was about 23 just for fun then got hurt at work and found out how easy it was to cop a scrip from a doctor. I was getting 240 a month from two doctors, and spending anyware from $150.00 to 200.00 a month in addition to my script. So when I was about 28 I decided to stop taking percs my doc put me on methadone it was the worse thing that ever happen to me. It was so hard, painful and just plain oh sick to kick NO ONE should ever take methadone that is not the answer It took me 21/2 months to kick. So i was clean for 1 yr and relapsed I started taking percs again for 4 month I just quiet 9 days ago I never kicked percs how long before you get back to normal?  
Guys and gals,
I am VERY proud of you all..reading these post have giving me inspiration.  I am  on day 5 and my dosage was low but it is a terrible feeling coming off and the pains, aches  and my mood is intensified severely. My emotions become up and down and out of control sometimes. I call this adventure the Welcome Back to Reality Trip! Today I am experiencing happiness and energy every so often but still feel like ****. It is a good feeling to have those emotions again...something I did not have since I was caught up in chasing the feeling of euphoria. I have lower back pains and I have found that a heating pad does wonders for the time being. I get off work and just sit on it then I bring it to bed and use it if needed.  I also take a 1000mg of advil in the morning and the same about 4pm in the evening.  The feeling isnt there like the perc's but the pain is cut back a little bit.  Hot showers also help change things up when needed.  I have also found a way to keep my mind focus thruout the day is to drink an energy drink when needed, I completely forget about the withdrawals for about 4 hours after drinking a motherload energy drink.  I think amp makes it well it is in the same cooler at the gas station as amp drinks.  If anyone has any tips on fighting the withdrawals and coping without using more drugs please post a comment.  
i had surgery two weeks ago to remove a tumor from my head. only have been on percs for about two weeks i just ran out two day ago and i am feeling antsy i can sleep, still have pain. would you say i am addicted and need to stop pain meds?
the first few days were worst for me..day 5 i was back at work...then the runs kept up for another week or so but nuttin imodium wouldnt stop....exercise helps alot and staying busy...force urself to walk around the block or even down the drive way..read up in the health pages and hang tight...if i can help let me know..there is always someone here so keep posting
Thanks. like i said i have only been taking them for two weeks. 4 per day....i have another script but am afraid to pick them up due to the high addiction. have been off for two days now just feel antsy that is all
juggleparrot, Your withdrawals from the pain pills should/are minimal at this point and you should be feeling fine rapidly, except for maybe some general recouping from surgery. If you don't need the pain pills, do not take them. That is how so many of us addicts got started. Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon.
I too have been taking 3-4 percocet's a day and stopped taking them two days ago. I woke up feeling like the room was spinning, my head felt extremely heavy and all I wanted to do was lay there. I have decided I am done taking them. Any thing that leaves you feeling like that is not worth it! Plus if it does that to you body when you stop it can't be good to consume!
My husband and I have been on pills (percs and oxys) since around Thanksgiving last year. Everyday since! He takes more than I do usually 6-8 x 750mg a day, with me only consuming 4 a day, but we decided to quit a couple of days ago due to money. We have spent nearly $800 a month on pills or more and it is killing our relationship. He says that his withdrawals are limited to only mood swings, but I am having a hell of a time coping. I am on day 2 with no pills minus a xanax I took to help me sleep last night. I sweat and am very dizzy, my eyes seem to shake when I try to focus on something, and I've had a headache for 14 1/2 hours. I just took a hot bath and about 5 Advil for the headache, but this is horrible and I feel all of your pain! Good luck and hang in there. I am going to do my best to stay clean for myself, my husband and our children.
Ive been clean for 15 days and still sweat and have the runs will this go away i feal great other wise i was taking about 20 pills a day
I had open heart surgey 2 1/2 months ago and receieved a script for perc w/ orders for 2 / hrs, things were going good.  after 1 month I was down to 4 or so a day, after 7 weeks I was taking one at bedtime to sleep, that's about the time that I started to enjoy the high off the drug, and started taking them more frequently, got to the point where last weekend I took 8 on Saturday.  I said to myself "to hell with this" and now am on day 3 without any.  I find that I'm trying to make excuses to take one more....but I don't think so!
Anyway good luck to you all and to me too.

I had hernia surgery and was prescribed percocet 10mg.. It been 2 months and have stopped them but feeling really depressed and anxious. How long will this take to subside??? I usually half the 10mg and take half at a time. at most take 5 halfs a day..???
I was prescribed percocet 5/325 for a lower back problem, I found out that my back wasn't really hurting but the need and desire to take the pill was there. I was only taking 1 - 2 pills every day for about almost a year and found myself feeling very tired every day and not performing to my full potential at work, often times forgetting things. I caught a severe flu and decided to quit. I am now on day 4 and regardless of the terrible flu symptoms I feel good that I am off the pills. I wish the best of luck to all of you out there trying to kick this terrible highly addicting habit. I know it's hard but try to concentrate on other things, and realize how beautiful life really is.
I had a very strong urge today to take a perc., I controlled myself and didn't do it but been in a real bad mood because of it. When will these cravings stop? I am now at the end of day 5 and starting to miss them. Help!!
I had a terrible Knee injury that wound up giving me 9 surgeries in the past 2 1/2 years, and a Shoulder Surgery directly caused from the knee, which totals 10 surgeries....

I not goin to lie, being on percocets were like a walk in the park, quitting them was never a issue, also speaking from prior drug habits and issues, the worse i got was a headache runny nose and fatigued, which i found not bad whatsoever...

The past 2 surgeries i endured with this new doc turned out to be opn knee surgeries, not the arthroscopic ones i was previously used to... He gave e a scrip for Oxycontin 20mgs 1-2 every 12 hours, and percocet 10's 1-2 every 4-6 as need for breakout pain....

I found myself already at a high tolerance due to having soo many surgeries previously .....

When i decided to stop taking the combination which was roughly around 210mgs a day of oxycodone in my system, it was terrible...

The Oxycontin were very easy to abuse, and i did not know i was goin to be dealing with such hell....

Before i knew what to expect, this time i had shivers, and insomnia,  and i was throwing up......

bright side is it only really lasts about 3 days for me.... Which was good....

Some things to help out

B-vitamins 3 times a day
Gaba - 3 times a day
L-theanine as needed for aniexty

I took these and drastically lowered my withdrawal symptoms the 2nd time around....

Sleep and drink plenty of water to help flush the toxins out...

Youll feel better in no time
how long do these withdrawals last if I'm on day 14 and was throwing up today and still feel all those symptons they say happens to you? i stopped cold turkey and i just want to know when all the pain will go away.
Hello all! I'm new on here, however just wanted to get few things off my chest, to all who have been using for awhile, and to all who thought they could never do it on their own; feel like need it for breakfast till sleep. I started with percocet 5mg, then went to 10mg, then perc 15's and 30's and if couldn't find those, I tried to find oxy 10s-40s. My girlfriend and I have been pretty bad using for about a year now, and been consistently every day for 10 months now. We both each use daily betweens anywhere from 60-120 mg, depending on how high we wanted to get or how much money we had. Recently we both have been having a real hard time, feeling like what used to get us high for 8 hours feels like about an hour or two if that. And all the money we earn or work for goes straight to perc 15s-30s or oxys. It feels like ive been working the past year for percs and was wearing on me. There have been several times that I said I wanted to try to stop and went a day or so then just felt like i had to go get my high. However this is my story the past few days which made me commit to ending this drought. I got paid from my job Friday, and was over $400, it came Saturday, and I had $25 left of that paycheck and no bank value. I broke down, that last $25 I had, I bought a percocet with, and although I do have a source of income, and have money right now, I had to stop, my girl too! we set a committment and promised we had to. And I knew a friend that got me a suboxone and only gave me half and told me to only do a little bit in the morning and then if needed. Monday, my girl and I did some in the morning and we would wake up each morning and do a perc, and that lasted several hours, not being high, but withdrawal was not there which was great, we went until the evening and did a little more, and actually slept decent, although woke a few times sweating, then came Tuesday and did a little suboxone at 1pm, and went all day and evening, took some tylenol pm to help sleep, i still sweated. And NOW AM ON DAY 3! and went until about 4pm and did a little suboxone, and I just feel amazing that I did this on my own and have gotten this far, because the past year I have never went even 1 and half days, and I am on day 3! I am very proud of myself and my girl. I KNOW from reading that my detox is not over, however making it this far i am soo determined and committed! I drink an energy drink a day or two, and pray every morning! " dear lord, please give me the strength and power to make it through the day without relapsing, and make it through this very tough journey, and also at night! " lord thank you soo much for guiding me through the day and giving me the power to stay clean, please help me through this until the end.  Thank You all! and I know rehab is always there, but I believe i have the power and strength from god to do this on my own. Its hard, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!! GOD BLESS ALL!!!
on day 3, sorry i forgot. I feel decent, when I woke up i felt kinda restless, but each day is getting better, and I can save the money I do have. I see the light at the end of the tunnel just at day 3. Its really amazing, and even though I know alot of people that are reading this that are using and don't think they can stop. You can, try it, I see suboxone are addicting at a certain extend, but are not an opiate, try to find a suboxone, and prepare yourself. because we all know how expensive this addiction is, and that after your high becomes an everyday thing, its a need, not a high, and not worth it. I promise you all! ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE< and please just try for me. You can do it, just beleive!

Ive been talking perc 30mgs just for fun. And I decided to stop 2 days ago. I woke up this morning throwing up profusley and have had the runs every 15 mins. I also feel as though someone is stabbing me in the stomache. I have a one year old son that I should be up and about with, but all I can do is lay on the couch. I cant even move. Is there anything I can do without talking pills?
Me and my boyfriend started taking proscriptions for fun. Five years later and we are both addicted and taking something everyday. We spend all our money on this ****. It came to the point where we don't go anywhere or do anything, all we do is take pills. Now he is in the hospital and I had no choice but to quit. I'm on day 3 and I don't really feel pain but I have no energy to do anything. I want to know when my energy will be coming back to me.
Hey Viva...I'm glad to hear that you are not in pain at all, and the lack of energy should pass within a week for sure! Is your boyfriend planning on going into a rehab??  It seems like the pills have taken over your life and left you broke, depressed, and isolated!  It's time to get your life back love and you already made it three days so the rest is easyyy!!  Good luck to you and please stick to this before you end up in the hospital too, trust me it goes nowhere good
Thanx Ali, for me it's all mental for the most part. Even when I used to take pills, it was mental. My boyfriend is in the hospital because he was taking methadone but I did not know about it. He's not ding that great mentally. Today he didn't talk at all.
Can methadone cause brain damage?
No prob viva...and About the brain damage you would have to research that but, any kind of an overdose could def cause brain damage (since opiates affect the respitory system an OD can cut the oxgyen from reaching the brain..).  All you can do is encourage him to get treatment and do the same for yourself.  How are you doing? I know the mental part of it is soooo hard thats what always gets meee too but the more you realize you "can live without pills" the stronger you will get!! Just NEVER give up the fight cuz ur life is worth living...
I have been on this forum 3 days and it is so relieving to have you guys to hear from and learn from.

sprstar - you just made me realize that its the addict with in MYSELF as well, which will tell you things which get you into these kinds of trouble...its just the wording you used that really reiterated the tru fact that I, myself, have a huge addict within me,

whether its weed, oxys, energy drinks, sex....honestly I should realize that this is that part of me that feeds me these beliefs and false senses of security, excuses like you say etc... I wonder how to distinguish btw this and your real conscience (the one that uses your VALUES and true sense of judgement)....this is a huge part of my personality and i am only just beginning to understand it..

Thank you for saying what you said...I really am comforted by the fact that this forum has so much to offer for everyone.

All the best guys.
TO all:

I like this last post and I couldn't agree more the sprstar.  As I have now been clean on and off for a few weeks I am understanding more and more about the mental games.  We all have the addict in us but, it's the real you and the real me that is fighting so hard to kill the addict and find ourselves again.  This is what I tell everyone (including myself) DON'T EVER GIVE UP THAT RIGHT BECAUSE WE ALL DESERVE A GOOD LIFE AND GOD DAMMIT THE ADDICT IN US IS NOT GOING TO RUN OUR LIFES ANYMORE!!  I officially would like to announce a new day for us addicts to celebrate.  Today is SEPTEMBER 19TH 2009 AND TODAY IS THE DAY WE DECLARE WAR ON THE ADDICT THAT LIES IN ALL OF US.  TODAY WE CELEBRATE THE LIFE WE ONCE KNEW BEFORE ADDICTION, AND WE FIGHT TO GET THAT LIFE BACK!!

TO ALL WHO ARE WITH ME ON THIS BEATIFUL DAY PLEASE SEND YOUR THOUGHTS!! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE, YOU ARE ALL IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS EVERY DAY!!
My boyfriend is in rehab and i'm clean for almost 3 weeks. My only problem is that i have no energy to do anything. Each day is getting better.
this is my 2nd day totally clean from everything. i have been taking percs and vicodin for about 2 1/2 years now..started from getting my wisdom teeth out..then once they healed, i found htat i was takin them to cope with everday life..they made my raltionship with my boyfriend of 6 years more appealing and made me happier to be around frineds and family. i stoped taking the percs about 5 days ago and substituted them with ativan...which in turn i was "dumping" the same amunt of ativan a day as i was percs. the ativan left me groggy, so much so that i did not realize the effects of the perc withdrawling. i somehow came to my senses that substituting wasnt helping obviously. i feel like total **** i have been so hot, but i have shivvers and sweating like a pig. i suffer from restless legs, the percs always took this probelem away--and unfotunatly restless legs are a withdrawl effect..lucky me! my boyfriend is currently at boot camp from struggling many years with heroine..so i do not have the support i feel i need--this is helping  a little tho..and tomoro i am goig to attend a NA meeting. i do not wantt this life that was so easily started. i wish everyone the best in success!
I just wanted to say i am proud of everyone.  On friday last week I drove by the mental health place and said this is it. I am going to get help. I went in and let them know what i had been taking. I was taking anywhere from 20-25-30 5mg or 10mg vicodin, percocet, oxcontin 40's, for two years now.  I had to stop. It is completely mental. You have to have the mentallity to want to stop. I was scared of the withdrawals which is why i never stopped before. Today is seven days. I feel amazing, happy feelings are coming back, and i can eat again. Sleeping is better, not great though.  And withdrawals are awful. But dont be scared. Delete the numbers of the people who enabled you, go to a place to stay, parents, friends whatever.  The environment that you used in is hard to stay at when you are going through this time,  So I wish the best of luck to everyone. I know if I did it, anyone can. xoxo ashley
My boyfriend is in rehad as well, i feel like i have no support as well, I stopped taking pills september 8th. I have been clean. In a way it's good that your boyfriend is in boot camp that way you cannot make an excuse 2 get pills. It's easier 2 start an addiction again when there r 2 people involved. I fet like **** for about 3 weeks. Now I feel great even getting my energy back. It is all mental. The first weeks was hard 4 me 2 get up and take a shower. It's going 2 get better.
I have been abusing between 150-300mg of oxycontin intranasely for about 2 years. about 3 weeks ago i had major respitory failure while i was sleeping and actually managed to wake myself from the dead gasping for air and dripping in a cold sweat. i was able to dial 911 and recieved help on time. this scared me straight and i have been detoxing on my own since currently down to 5mg oxy in the morning and 1 percocet before bed to help me get a few hours of sleep. at some point my withdrawl pains are close to unbareable but i just keep telling myself it will be better tomorrow. good luck to everyone be strong stay positive.
some of you got it much easier then you think... i went from 240-300 mg of oxy a day down to 10 mg in two days. i thought i was gonna die the worst part for me is the cold sweats that last all day, add the runny nose sneezing stomach cramps insomnia irritable as hell and if makes one hell of a week. i've been on meds for over 5 years from a skiing accident that left 5 discs damaged. i tapered off for 4 days and now its been 24 hours now since i took anything and already feeling better, still have sweats from head to toe but what do you expect.  i can tell i'm getting back to normal and im so excited to be myself again, after all its been over 5 years i've been on opiates. but what a ****** ride it has been. so keep your heads up cause if i can stop so can you.  BUT damn does my back hurt
my name is Ron im a carpenter so my body gets pretty beat up thats how  i got started with this s***. been taking 60-80mg of perks a day for about 1 1/2 years, so sick of this s*** runnin my life im out of work now so i said now's the time.A friend gave me 2 soboxone i took 1/2 the first day 1/4 that night then 1/4 the next day and 1/4 the third day it really helped today is day 7 NO PERKS! I feel fine restless legs some pain and i cant sleep but all and all not so bad.I feel for all of you THIS S*** *****.Remember  this feeling you made it this far you dont want to go through it again.
ive been taking perc 10 3/25 and sniffing them for a year and a half. I have a addictive personality and been in rehab when i was young. I wanted to quit so I said this is it. The last pill i sniffed was Monday November 30th. I feel like i am dying. My back hurts, i have the sweats but I am freezing. I just want this to go away. I have no cravings to do it or even want it i just want the withdrawals to go away. I wish I new something that could help. Tonight at 8 will be 48 hrs. I am gonna fight but i Just want to feel better..
Hey. I am in a similar same situation. I started on vics, then perc 5s, then 7.5s, now I am on the 10s and the ocasionally 15 mg pure Oxycodone. I am 19 and have severe depression due to this habit. I haven't gone more than 3 days sober in the past year or so. Now, I am in the process of detoxing. I have been mainly snorting the 10s doing at least 4 or 5 a day which may not be alot to some people. But now I'm having chills and I can't sleep. The main thing that helps me is taking Ativan and Darvocet. I take 2 Darvocet when I wake up to deal with the muscle spasms, back pain, etc. and I take 2 Ativan an hour before I want to sleep. It usually knocks me out. So just try to hang in there. It will get better. The first week is the hardest. and if you can get ahold of Xanax or Ativan it will help. Good luck.
I'M AT A DETOX CLINIC WHICH COSTS 5000$      I TRACKED EVERYTHING THEY GAVE ME..  I HAD 1 OUT OF 10 SYMPTOMS....
DAY 1    TAKE      2 LIBRIUM - 2 TYLENOL-1 ATIVAN- ROBAXACET  SPREAD OUT..OVER 2 HOUR PERIODS....        (LIBRIUM FOR SHAKES) AND ATIVAN FOR ANXIETY...ROBAXACEET FOR MUSCLE CRAMPS...
REPEAT THIS TWICE ONCE IN THE DAY AND ONCE AT NIGHT...
THEN FOR SLEEPING TIME  TAKE AN OVER THE COUNTER SLEEPING PILL....  GRAVOL TOO IF NEEDED..  AND LOTSSSS OF WATER!!!
DAY 2 TAKE ANOTHER ATIVAN  , 2 LIBRIUM A LOWER DOSE IF POSSIBLE, 2 TYLENOL, ROBAXACET, IMMODIUM, CLONODINE(BLOOD PRESSURE STABILIZER)
FOLIC ACID, MULTIVITAMIN, VITAMIN B.    GRAVOL IF YOU'RE FEELING PUKEY...    ALSO   GET THIS STUFF CALLED E3 LIVE YOU CAN GET IT FROM WHOLE FOODS... DRINK 3 SHOTS OF THAT A DAY DURING DETOX..... THIS ONLY LASTS 2 TO 3 DAYS MAX... I HAD ABSOLUTLEY NO SIDE EFFECTS AND I WAS ON PERCOCET FOR ALMOST 7 MONTHS 70 MG A DAY.....!!!  TRUST ME   EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE QUESTIONS.....   ***@****            YOU WILL HAVE NO PAIN I PROMISE!!!

Hey,  I live in Toronto Canada and have been abusing percs for over 6 years on and off.  At one point I was up to 15 pills per day. I have real bad lower back pain so i was using percocets to manage the pain or was I?  It got to a point where I had to take them just to cope with everyday life.  I would need 2 beside my bed just to get going. I was addicted and still am.  I would chew so many per day that everytime i would go to a dealers to get them,  they would say " why not just do a 80 mg (oxy) green monster  instead of chewing 15 pills"?  Well,  i have seen people around me on Oxy-contins and they're life has gone to shambles. There is a crisis here in my city just like other places.  Anyways,  I refrained myself from doing oxys, and stuck with percs. I am having a bad enough time getting off these percocets,  and couldn't imagine being on oxys. This is my 3rd day off them,  and i promise you,  I do feel better,  not 100%,  but each and everyday you will feel better. I have to find another alternative to dealing with my back pain.  Anyone who is sitting here right this second,  jonsin,  sweating, cramps, headaces weak etc,  please remember, YOU CAN DO IT!  I PROMISE YOU'LL FEEL BETTER TOMORROW,  WITHDRAWALS ONLY LAST DAYS, FEELING GREAT WILL LAST A LIFE TIME.  Merry Christmas everyone.  I am here if you wanna talk.
Hey everyone! this site has just given me hope!!! I have been addicted to pills now for 2 years. started off with just hydrocodone  5 mg. a bottle of 60 would last me close to the whole month! now things have really changed!! Now I am on oxys 30 and do not take as prescribed. take about 6 a day if not more. Just got a script a week ago and almost out!!! its just digusting how I fly threw these!!  Mother with 3 kids and I work 4 days a week. but I take them for engery and get away from my problems! hearing and reading other peoples blogs and addictions have really just given me new hope!!! Do u all think I should go to my doc and tell him I have a problem, or just let the withdrawls take over???
   Hey, you should try and see if you can overcome the withdrawals first,  but if it's to much for you,  then go talk to your doctor. You will be out of comission for days, i guarantee you.  The scary part is getting past the first 2-4 days.  This short period of uncomfortableness is worth it.  I am on 3 and a half days now and it's really hard,  but i do feel better. You are taking alot so it might be devastating for your body to just quit so try cutting your doses in half.  Oxy addiction is exactly like a heroin addiction so maybe you should seek help.  I want you to follow up with me. I am here for you at anytime if you need someone to talk to. My name is Mark.
Hey Mark thanks for the comment back! very nice of you to care!! i have cut doses down so it won't be as hard to get off of them. I will keep in touch and thks for thinking and responding to me! Merry Christmas!!
Husband is coming home from deployment tomorrow. He thinks I am clean and sober. When he left, I was on methadone treatment, but had to come off of it due to money issues. I knew coming off the methadone was going to cause withdrawals and I have gone through those TOO many times. Well, in my stupid mind, I thought if I take some percs, as prescribed, that I could ease my w/drawals. What a fool I am!! Now, I have to get off of these. He thinks that I am clean and that everything is fine. Should I wean myself off of these last pills (have about 15 or 20 left) and if so, how do I do that to limit my w/drawal symptoms. REALLY don't want to go cold turkey again. Thanks for any input.
I have only been on perks for 4 weeks due to back pain.  i was only taking 15-20mg per day.  I know seems low compared to most others.  however, i decided to handle my back pain without them and stop.  I'm on day three and i feel terrible.  i know people get withdrawals from this stuff but i didnt think a month at such a low dose for such a short period of time would make me feel this way.  same loss of interest, always tired, body aches, and weird enough i just cry randomly for pretty much no reason.  ANY HELP? ANYTHING TIPS, HOW LONG MAY THESE FEELINGS LAST? any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
Hey sparxx..

I was the same way as well.  My feelings were shot. That is just a withdrawal.  Your emotions were held up for 4 weeks in your body,  numb inside because of the opiates. They tend to block real emotions.  Now that your not taking them,  you emotions are coming back.  This is a good thing as it means your getting better. It doesn't seem like it,  but i promise,  you'll feel alot better in a day or two. I am sure you get the restless leg,  chills, etc as well. This is normal and won't last long.  The first 3 days are the worse. I am on day 11 and i feel great.  Perfect time to,  tomorrow is christmas.  I have been using percs on and off for 6 years. I finally realized i was using them for the wrong reasons.  I can finally get up and do the things normal people do without pills. Go for a walk, drink lots of water. Vitamin B, C.. If you get anxiety use alternatives. Merry christmas to you sparxx. You can do it. Let me know if your ok..
I was prescribed oxycodone 10 mg. a day 4 times a day approximately 2 1/2 years ago after having a bladder hemorrage and ongoing bladder pain.  A little more background, I've had a total of 12 abdominal surgeries and am told my pain more than likely stems from scar tissue, BUT, you can't go in to fix without making more, it's a catch 22.  Well, after being tossed from Dr. to Dr. in the same practice because of their inability to keep me with one doctor this last doctor was extremely uncaring.  We chose a tapering off system because at this point I was at 80-100 mg. a day of oxycodone.  I did the tapering sadly it took longer than expected and the doctor was less than sympathetic.  I called because I wanted a medication to help me through the withdrawals, guess what her expertise gave me - MORE OXY to get through the last week, that is not what I wanted, I know there must be something out there to help people get through this.  I've slept for over 4 days, I'm depressed, I can barely get through the day the anxiety is overwhelming, Xanax doesn't work except to put me to sleep.  Christmas is but a fog.  We have a New Years Eve party every year and I just don't know how I can do it all.  I can honestly say this is the worst depression I've ever felt,  so much so that the suicidal thoughts keep creeping in.  I'm already on the max dosages for Wellbutrin and Lexapro. I've never been so scared in my whole life, by the way I'm 45 years old.
I've been on perco for 5mths for back pain. It got to a point that I got sick of not feeling normal n taking more and more perco to help with pain. I tried to stop by lowering my dosage but after a couple of days, I was back taking more n more perco. 3 days ago I stopped cold turkey. I'm going crazy, my emotions are all over the place, don't want to get out of bed, crying all the time and moody. I need to stay strong so that I don't relapse. I'm so scared and afraid. This website helped me by realizing that I'm not alone. If you did it, I can do it too. Thank you:)
been off the purks for 7 day was taking 5 a day for for 1 year suddenly starting to feel very depressed the past few days is this normal?? plz help im 33 and never had any depression problems before... is this gonna stop?

thank you

Norm
been off perks for 1 year 5 a day im 7 days off feeling physically fine but i suddenly past 2 days started getting depressed im 33 and never felt that feeling before its awful is this normal HELP plz...
sorry for the repost im new to this great forum and wasn't sure the 1st 1 went thru

Thank you
My husband has been taking percs on and off for the past 3 years.  Its went from one or two here and there to 8 a day.  He started his day off with two when he get up and he timed when he could take the rest.  This is his 4th or so time quitting but I think he has it this time... It was really hard for him to tell me.. even though I already knew.  Our marriage was beginning to go down hill.. he just wasnt the same person. He is on his 3rd day clean now and his attidude has already changed... he actually says that he loves me now.. LOL.. he is becoming his self  again... He is still withdrawing... Sweating.. sick to his stomach, cant sleep.. anxious.. but its gettingt better... I have been reading each of your stories to him and it seems to help.  That he isnt the only one that is going thru this.  Everyone needs support.  Even me... I need help too!  Being a wife and seeing your husband go thru this is horriable.. I wish I could take away all his pain.  I know that we have to delete the # to his connection and keep them out of our house.  He says maybe just keep one, just in case.. but there is no "just in case" Thats what happens I think.. he kicks it for 3 weeks and then thinks that he can just take one,  But you cant.  If you make a commitment to kick the habit.. then kick it.  There is no more just one or maybe fot fun.. I have told him to make a list of goals for this year and write them down.. then look at the list and notice that taking pills isnt one of those goals... All I can say to everyone is reach out to someone... this site really helps me stay strong and him... but you cant do it all alone! Get help...  Lots of hope to everyone trying to quit,,,
Wow strongwife,  you sound exactly like my girlfriend!  I almost had to read it 3 times just to make sure it wasn't actually her typing your message. I put her through the same crap that he is putting you through. I am sure he will pull through.  He does love you lots,  but all is emotions were built up inside of him because of the percocets. Try and bare with him. Also Norm,  this is normal. You have to think about this my friend. You have been pretty numb for the past year, so now that your detoxing your emotions are up and down. You don't remember how to deal with the emotions sober  being without drugs.  So now you have to train yourself again,  how to deal with your emotions being sober.  It's  normal to get depressed Norm. Taking another pill will not solve the problem only to make it worse.  If you continue to have difficulty Norm,  then get some help from your doctor.  Good  Luck!  I am here for anyone that need help!
Is depression part of this as well?  My husband was so depressed today.. it was scary.  I hate seeing him like this.  How long will it last? Will he get better after a few days clean? Right now he is 3 days tomorrow will make 4.  I keep telling him I am proud of him and that he is on his way to being clean for good.  Is there anything more that I should be doing for him? I want to give him the best of me so that I can really help him..What else should I be doing?  
i had been taking percs for a little over a year... probably about 3 or 4 per day. the last few days, i cut down to 1 1/2 and then to 1 for the last couple days. haven't taken any since about 1pm on saturday afternoon.. it is now monday afternoon, 1:30... oddly, i don't feel the same withdrawals that i've read about here. i have had a bit of trouble sleeping for the past couple of nights, and my left calf seems to be have a tiny bit of spasms, but other than that, i feel ok. is it to soon? should i expect the worst of the withdrawals to come in the next day or two? besides that, i want to thank everyone for their posts. i started reading before i ever quit, just to know what to expect. everyone's stories and personal experiences have really seemed to help me and reassure me that i can do this. i don't feel the need or want to pop a perc at this time. i leave one sitting right in front of me, and look at it every now n then n tell it "i don't need you"!! haha!! fortunately, it doesn't talk back and say "YES YOU DO!!!"! if anyone knows whether i should expect withdrawals to start or get worse, please let me know. thanks in advance! and congrats to everyone for kicking this habit, and for have the courage to even attempt it! keep it up... peace
20 hours in
coming off 50-75 mg perc for 2 years
legs ache, pain in my knees
head cloudy
annoying pressure on forehead
trouble focusing, vision somewhat blurred
pressure in my ears too

this is a small price to pay to get off the bs train of opiate abuse.
If you want more help start your own post as a new question!  You used an old post so many people may not read!
This is day 2 for me and no im not new to this, sad to say.

I feel like crap...cold sweats, blurred vision, diariah and insomnia.  I quit after taking percocet for 4 yrs almost a yr ago with the help of suboxone.  It helped, but made me quizzy the first couple days.  After a month on suboxone I was clean and sober for 2 months and then relapsed.
So here I go again and apparently forgot about the intense withdrawls.

Im writing this on only two hrs of sleep...yikes.  I think this is becoming more and more of a problem cause the Drs. are so quick to prescribe...It's a shame.

I don't wanna take suboxone again cause it makes me feel yucky so I'm gonna do this on my own.

Good luck to everyone and wish me luck too, cause damn I need it!
I am on day 5 of percocet withdrawal. I was snorting about 100 mg a day and taking about 60 mg orally every day for the past 14 months. I WAS HOOKED. I saw the tv show intervention and it really opened my eyes. Of course as i was watching it, i was snorting perc. So on a saturday at 3 pm i did what would be my last percocet. By 2 am that night i was shaking, had RLS (restless leg syndrome) and couldnt sleep. The morning was even worse. Cold chills, RLS, vomiting, nausea, insomnia, a very bored and lazy feeling. It was terrible. I am on day 5 now and the chills have almost stopped, the RLS is still there but go to CVS and get potassium supplements (it really helps with the RLS). I still havent been able to sleep and the diarrhea and nausea still come and go. But if you can get past the 4th day you will be ok. This is a very physical withdrawal but very mental as well. HEAD STRONG! you must keep a clear mind. I kept telling myself this is what you get for abusing this drug and i tried to look at it like i was just having a bad case of the flu. I quit cold turkey which probably wasn't the best idea but you can look online for remedies to the symptoms (also check out Thomas's Recipe online). Also, smoke a little pot. Its a mild pain killer so gives you some relief from that anxious feeling of wanting more perc! it also helps with the nausea, chills, mental state, and insomnia. Its day 5 and the sun never shined so bright for me. I just turned 23, I am in my last semester of college, and I am a recovering addict. It can happen to any one. It starts out as fun and quickly escalates into a physical addiction. I wish you the best. In 2 hours I will be 120 hours sober and i know i will not be going back to that life. The light at the end of the tunnel is so bright when you reach it that you don't want to ever go back in. Stay Strong.
Hi everyone,, I started Almost  a year to the day takin  1,2 10 mg vicodeins a day, not for pain, but for the high and to relax me at night.
It helped me sleep and helped my restless leg syndrome. My co worker is the one who turned me on to them,, he is a full blown oxycotin addict, and looking at  him after he snorts a  80 mg pill makes me sick.. He nods off and basicclly looks like hes on herion,, sickning. Anyways,, the vics, after a while really didnt touch me,, so he introduced me to perk 10s,, 5 bucks a pop,
how ridiculous. After a while it took 2,3 10 mg perks to feel anything, and it was draining my wallet. its been almost 2 weeks since ive taken anything,, the withdrawals suk,, but its worth it in the long run,, my coworker called today and asked if i needed anything,,  im almost tempted,, but dont wanna go thru those withdrawals again,, TEMPTATION SUKS!!!!!    BE STRONG!!!  ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE to help me stay strong???
hey..I am on my 16th day oxy free and I am having mixed emotions. I was starting to feel SO much better and now I feel like the wd symptoms are back again..mostly the diarreah and cold sweats/chills..i guess I have to give it more time..when cleaning out my car the other day I found a perc and without hesitation I threw it on the pavement and crushed it. I will never ever take it again, what a terrible drug this is and I blame my doctors for allowing this to be my 'pain management' for almost 2 years.. I then realized what a problem it was becoming and here I am..up at 1am with the runs again!
Im a stay at home Mommy...cant get through the day without a percocet, ive tried to get off them and end up so so sick, I cant tell my family and im lost as to what to do! We r going to be trying to have another baby soon and I really need to get off this poison! Please help with any advice, I could really use a friend right now
I am on 10/325 8 aday for herniated disc but I also get percocet 30s occasionally as well maybe 2 times a week.  I have not taken them in about 24 hours and I somehow am really not feeling to bad, body just feeling aches a little.  Everyone remember within a week you should feel somewhat normal thats something to look forward to.  I have been through this over a hundred times im sure of it and it is a viscious cycle if you really need them.
I am 18 years old. I just started blowing perc 30s about two months ago. I do them just for the high. It started out with a half of a pill, but within a week I was up to two a day. I am now at 2-4 a day. For the past 4 days, I ran out, and oh did I feel horrible. I had a head cold, the chills, insomnia, really bad anxiety, and nausea. Today was the 5th day and I was able to land my hands on some more. Like an idiot, I did two. I need to stop, Its way too expensive..(i dont get them prescribed) and its starting to take a toll on my body. I have a history of addiction, I was addicted to coke for 2 years (but I have been off of it for about a year and a half) and I am addicted to alcohol. I want to stop doing the percs but I don't know if I can. It was stupid of me to go back after withdrawing for 4 days, but I love the high I get from them. If anybody has any advice, please share it!
I found out Friday night my Husband has been purchasing Percs for about a year from a dealer. I had no idea he was taking them. I had noticed some odd behavior but i didnt think to much of itl. After i found out he broke down and swore he would get help and get off the pills. He hasnt taken any since Friday but i can tell he is struggling.
Reading this forum has given me hope he can see this through. We have been married for 7 years.
Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories. Gives me hope :)
Hello im on starting day 3 of my withdraws and everything seems to be going fine other than the occasional diareahha and no sleep for over 48 hours now...  My story starts out 2 years ago and sounds pretty pathetic compared to some of your stories.  I have never bought any type of pain killers illegally vut have been on lortabs, darvocets, and percocets now for over 3 years running.  I chase euphoric feelings one gets from taking the pills and as hard as i try i just keep going back to it.  A glimpse of my life if you will for the last six months at least anyways.  I get my script filled around the 19th out by the 1st at best and 2 weeks to detox get to feeling great again and bam i run right back to them.  I know i have no excuse and can't find out why i put myself through this hell monthly i know it isn't healthy,  month before last i had some seriouse issues occur and i had a script for 120 lortab 10s in which i took in 8 days then went back to the same dr told him that they weren't working for me anymore and he gave me a script for 120 percocet 10s which were gone in 6 days i went through some major withdraws and in my 3 week before i filled the script again i felt better than i have in years.  I made a commitment to myself this time i didn't go back to see my dr so he won't fill the script for me this month and have no intention on trying.  I would say get past the firs 7-9 days and you guys will be on top of the world at least from my experience.  There are some amazing people on here and i wish you the best and know that your not alone in your journey :).  Good luck all and you all have my prayers!!! (Wanted or not) ;)
hi there im 22  i been doing percocets and some stimes oxy's but most perks  a lil over a year now and i tried to quit and  for the first 3 days i didnt take any and didnt evan sleep cause im going threw some bad withdraws i get chest pain and back pain a lot and my legs killed for the first 3 days but now evan though the pain is going away i still cant sleep i have been going to the doctors the gave me sleeping pills they dont help at all my what can i do someone pls tell mee
hey there,

i know what nightmare you're going through right now, but you're done with the worst part of the phys withdrawal.  how long have you been using?  the anxiety is being driven by the adjustments going in on your body right now.  it takes a few days to get your body balanced again, but having just finished a detox myself I found the following really really helpful.

I used a combination of Xanax and Trazadone for sleep.  If you have a dealer ask them for Xanax and get enough bars to last for 3 days or so.  The xanax will put you right to sleep.  however can't get xanax then try valerian root and melatonin combined.  

i just finished a detox myself and made sure i took a short walk at night and then ate some chicken soup to get something in my stomach.  having something in your stomach will help produce sleep.  see if you can get access to a hot steam room and a massage.  it might cost you a $100, but this will really soothe your nerves and help produce sleep.    

One thing I want to highlight is to avoid taking too much OTC sleeping pills just because they don't seem to work well.  when i was new to this i would take a handful of tylenol PM only to lie wide awake all night and then have to go to work the next day still feeling drowsy from the PMs.  It was the worst.  The most miserable thing about detoxing in my opinion is to have to lie there all drugged up on sleeping pills while you're wide awake.  i'd rather scratch my eyes out.

I know you mean well, but please don't encourage people to buy drugs illegally. Benzos such as xanax can be nasty in their own right...beside the fact that we don't have a proper medical history to prescribe anything. Xanax should only be used under a doctor's supervision. Buying off the street is addictive behavior we're trying to distance ourselves from.
Sorry, I was just trying to make a suggestion, but I see your point.  She should make an appointment with a licensed medical professional to seek help and advice.  Better?  =)

What do you think of me posting about my most recent suboxone detox?  It was a one week taper and produced very very mild withdrawal symptoms, mostly chills and lethargy.  

One thing I do want to point out is that withdrawal symptoms are magnified due to nutrient depletion.  I used Strovite One which is a prescription vitamin that they sometimes give to malnourished people, starving people, etc.  It gets absorbed well in the human body and is loaded with the nutrients that opiates deprive us of.  It made my recent detox a cakewalk compared to my previous one.  One the third day of my detox I remember smiling and asking myself, "Is this it?"  By day four I was out partying and back to my animated self.  My previous detox took me 6 days just to be able to get out of bed again.  
Hello everyone.  I've enjoyed reading each and every one of your comments in this forum which makes me feel better to know I’m not alone in this journey.  Just to give you a quick snapshot…I’m 42, a retired disabled veteran and off the meds for 4 days.  My wife of 22 years died of cancer two years ago, a week after I retired from the military.  I was initially prescribed Percocet 10/325 for my injury related pain about 4 years ago. Although at the time I was extremely naïve about pain killers and prescribed narcotics, I soon learned the truth.  Although I wanted to put away the pills, the transition from being a happily married family man with a beautiful wife and a career to a retired widower dad in a week was too much for me to handle and stopped me from quitting at the time.  About a year ago I decided I wasn’t going to let pills rule my life anymore so I weaned myself off of them very gradually.  Even though I still felt lot of the withdrawal symptoms you all have described, the physical aspect was not as bad as the psychological.  I became extremely depressed and began mourning and reliving my wife’s death again and it got worse.  I couldn’t handle the depression and lack of interest in life so I began taking the pills again.  I have never purchased any illegally since my doctor continues to prescribe me a low dose (10/325) 3 times a day.  I had been taking anywhere from 3 to 4 and on occasion 5 a day, but never taken larger doses.  4 days ago I decided once again that it was time for me to put away the pills, but I went cold turkey.  I’ve been experiencing all the symptoms you all have described…cold sweats, the shakes, horrible body and head ache, nausea, diarrhea, sleeplessness, restless leg, and of course depression.  For some reason I don’t feel any better today than I did day 1.  Wondering when this horrible physical feeling is going to end because I thought I would feel better after a couple of days!  Does the depression go away along with the physical side effects, if ever?  Any advice, comment, support, or suggestion you have would be greatly appreciated.  Good luck to all of us.
I am very sorry to hear about your loss.  During my detox I used a short-term suboxone taper and used the subs for about one week before beginning my real detox.  When I did the short-term suboxone taper first before doing the actual detox it made days 1-3 very very easy compared to a cold turkey withdrawal, with day 2 being a day in which i felt the peak symptoms (for me it was chills, reduced energy and muscle cramps) and day 3 being a day in which the said symptoms came and went.  By day 4 the worst physical withdrawal symptoms were mostly gone and I was able to function and do whatever i needed do at about 80%.  After this you have mild post acute withdrawal symptoms and it's all up to you to stay clean as the cravings will definitely be strong for some.    

If you are committed to going cold turkey then you might want to Google "the thomas recipe" and "amino acid protocol" for tips.

For myself I used 5 HTP to help treat my depression/anxiety during detox and took it during my suboxone taper and withdrawal.  5HTP helps repair neurotransmitters responsible for good feelings/moods.   Strovite One which is a prescription vitamin helped build up nutrients in my body and I took it at all times.  I also purchased a great product at GNC called "Liquid Protein" for 20 bucks, which contains a lot of the good proteins and amino acids that a recovering opiate addict will benefit from.  I took 6-9 spoonfuls a day broken up throughout the day.  Taking this liquid with a good vitamin b supplement was very helpful.  Melatonin and valerian root capsules can be used to induce sleep and are available over the counter.  Immodium AD 2mg can help with your stomach problems.  I also took a lot of fish oil and flaxseed oil.

As for your diet avoid red meat, caffeine and sugar.  vegetables, rice, fruit, chicken, fish (soups were great bc it's soft and filling when you have little appetite), lots of water, gatorade and green tea drinks.  

Good luck.

i am on day 15 and still feel really sick how long will this last
I am a stay home Mom:) Going to be coming off percocet within the next few days. I was on Tramodol for 2 years and switched to percocet about 4 months ago because I was having to take too many tramodol to get any pain relief. I have 4 disks out and am in physical therapy now. I am in LOTS of pain.. but I feel that I need to get off these things!
I am taking about 4 to 6, 5/325 mgs a day. Not at all looking forward to getting off these things!! I am afraid of being a crabby B*T$% to my family for weeks:(
Don't be scared by all the horror stories about getting off percs, oxycontin, oxycodone, etc. Go see a caring doctor and get a script for 60 Clonidine ad 60 Diazapam (Valium). I took the valium the first day because of the nervousness of what lay in store but that was all I took.

5 days later you emerge a bit tired and weak but the whole process is VERY easy if you don't mind being housebound for a while (which I do).

Everyone is different; some might have significant diarrhea, others might get nauseated but in general, the process is not hard. The Clonidine removes all symptoms i.e. leg cramps, sweating, etc. and if you want to sleep through the ordeal, take a Valium.
I just want to thank each and every one of you that have posted on here. I have 3 herniated discs and have been on Perc for almost a year now. I was/am prescribed 15mg Roxicodone 3x day and I have been on this dose now for about 3 months.On Sunday, I found out I am pregnant (almost 5 wks now) dropped to 2 pills on Monday and then just 1 pill yesterday @ 3:00pm, it is now 11:30am on Wednesday I had a horrible night last night, got about 3 hrs of sleep and woke up around 3am running to the bathroom. I am still happy to say that I am almost 21 hrs without and will not take another. I dont want to go on another medicine to come off this one when I have a baby growing and depending on me! I actually feel OK right now, I did take a 1/4 of a 1mg Xanax (that I am prescribed) and plan on trying the soup and vitamins to help me, had I known this would be so uncomfortable, I dont think I wouldve ever accepted this for a relief to my pain, I am only taking Xanax until the physical symptoms subside (planning on 3 days) Reading this has helped me want to be off this medicine even more, Congrats to all of you for your success and I look forward to being off all medication and having a healthy baby :)
atu
I am taking 2-3 perco 7.5 from 2 yrs for my back pain , from last 2 wks i was taking 1 a day and 2 days ago i stopped , today is my 3rd day , i am taking advil 200mg 3-5  a day , i have loose motion , my back hurt very bad , dont have energy , trying to put heating pad on my back . Pl tell me how long more it gonna take , i wanna stop this  .... Pl help me
Hey everyone. Just wanted to pipe in on my stupidity. I have been on Perc 10/325 for about 3 years due to a broken neck, 2 neck surgeries compounded by 2 herniated discs in my back and subsequent surgery. I elevated to appx 25 plus a day. My scrip ran out and i decided to go cold turkey. I gotta tell you the first 6 days were sheer hell, but this is the seventh day and the fog seems to have cleared. I found hot baths, lots of fluids with crackers and fruit kept my nutritional needs up. I hope i can keep this up by the grace of God, but i have an addictive personality and the little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me to refill the scrip. I think i ca manage the neck and back pain through exercise and stretching, but that little voice is going to be the problem but i think i can handle it. Good luck and my prayers to all on this forum.
I have suffered from chronic, agonizing, toothache-like pain in the bony area of the back of my neck since 2004. ACDF surgery in 2009 didn't offer any pain relief whatsoever. My bones haven't fused at C5-C6-C7, so I'm getting revision surgery next week, this time using a bone-marrow graft from my hip instead of the putty used for my first surgery. I can only hope and pray for some pain relief, and for the puffy feeling and radiating pain in both arms and legs to go away. I still have bone spurs at C5-C6 that will be removed during the surgery.

I've been taking Percocet for 3-years now. I had been doubling up, taking 2 Percocet 10/325 4 times daily (total of 8 pills). This offered me an escape from my misery, i.e., from the constant neck pain. Getting high made me feel better when nothing else could. The Percocet highs made me feel good, like I could face tomorrow. What I didn't realize was that I had become addicted, which I didn't realize until I tried to stop taking Percocet. My surgeon said that pain would be an issue after surgery since I've been taking so much pain medications. So I tried to stop taking them and found out my body is strongly addicted to Percocet.

I've been taking both Percocet and Morphine Sulfate together for the past 8-months. I was able to get off the Morphine Sulfate (240 mg daily), by gradually reducing the amount and then stopping from 120 mg. cold turkey. The only reason I was able to stop taking the Morphine Sulfate was because I was still taking 3 Percocet 10/325 per day. My body feels like it's dying after 8-hours if I don't take more Percocet. At this point, I'm not doubling up the pills anymore, I'm just trying to cope with my neck pain and addiction. I want off this stuff, but I need to wait until after my surgery next week and see what happens. Still, I'm trying to cutback as much as possible before my surgery and it's not easy.

I'm definitely going to ask my doctor to help me recover from this addiction, as going cold-turkey is extremely difficult and scary. My nurse said going cold-turkey can be dangerous, and from the way my body feels after 12-hours without Percocet, I can see why. It's been 13-hours without Percocet and I can't take it anymore. It's 3 a.m. and I can't sleep. I did a web search and found this forum to seek advice on how to cope with this, and most of all, how long it takes to detox.

It's been 13-hours and I couldn't take it anymore so I just took another Percocet. Even with sleep-aid pills, I can't sleep without more Percocet. My head feels like a prune, sore eyes, clogged sinuses, sore throat, sore nasal passage and sore ears, chronic neck pain it feels like the world is ending. After 30-minutes of taking another Percocet, I feel MUCH better. My body is definitely addicted.

I did suffer horrible flu-like symtoms: diarthea, anxiety, depression, runny nose, restlessness, irritability, sleeplessness and aches from head to toe for about 72-hours after stopping the Morphine Sulfate, but it was bearable, which is the only reason I continued off it on my own. I didn't lose my appetite, but couldn't finish a meal. It was only the Percocet that enabled me to kick the Morphine Sulfate.

However, the Percocet is another story. It is unbearable and I'm going to need help to recover. I've read some very interesting comments in this forum that have encouraged me to drink lots of water and take some vitamin B supplements and various over-the-counter medications, such as Tylenol, to help during the detox period if I do go it alone. I just hope my surgery and recovery period go well so I don't need pain medications anymore. My neck bones need to fuse according to my surgeon for the pain to stop.

I do have a bit of advice for others. I think a lot of people come to this forum, like me, because they are trying to stop taking their Percocet or other addictive drug and they are suffering horribly in the initial withdrawal process. That's what brought me to this webpage, trying to quit Percocet and I'm overwhelmed trying to do so. I think you should take your medication, don't overwhelm yourself, and set a plan. Either talk to your doctor or try some of the suggested remedies in this forum, but don't push yourself to the limit, because we don't need to and it's a dangerous thing to do.

One thing that helped me was a few short hot baths per day. This helped me kick the Morphine Sulfate. The hot water feels good when your body hurts all over during withdrawal. I also noticed that laying in bed caused much more misery than sitting up. During cold-turkey detox every minute seems like an hour, so I filled my refrigerator with snack foods like bananas, cheese sticks, orange juice, and other favorite foods to encourage me when it seemed I couldn't go on. For some reason I craved popcorn, which filled my stomach and made me feel better.

Since I still have chronic neck pain, it makes giving up the Percocet that much more difficult. For some reason, stopping the Percocet causes more neck pain than I originally had before taking the Percocet. This is a big factor in my inability to go cold-turkey. I hope the surgery will help over time. One day at a time.
I feel sooo bad.I am 42 this may.Addicted to perc 10/325.Started taking 4 a day until finally snorting 10-15 daily.I am on day 13 sober and still have not slept more than 1 hr per day.Cant sleep at night at all.I was prescribed them for herniated discs but started abusing them after realizing they helped with my depression.I live in the past,and many times feel like ending it all.I cancelled my dr appt so as not to get a 3 month script for 120 per month.However between the INSOMNIA,depression,rls,and frequent diareha i'm at my wits end.Theses withdraws are terrible,especially the insomnia.Not to mention feeling like a loser at my age becoming addictive.Thanks for listening to my rant,Lee
Im 19 years old, i have never been prescribed pain killers but where i live, its a drug alot of people abuse i started with the perk 5's just to help while i was in school and working, i was working about 80 hours a week including school, i felt like they helped me work better i then moved up to the p.10's and even the p 15's if you dont know p 15's where im at on the street are 10$ a pop i was doing about 4 a day, no not taking doing, crushing up and snorting, i then relaized one day i had to do 2 15's to eve feel anything so i started buying 30's which are 20$ a pop i kept doing and doing been on em about a year and a half tried quitting in between always relapsed, until i hit rock bottam, my dad always had some kinda suspition but never could prove it till one day i broke down and told him, i needed help 5 perk 30's a day when im 19 years old with no pain, im an addict i know one day ill be able to say was a addict, im 6 days clean, which is the furthest ive ever went and i never felt better, i mean yeah im im having the really bad withdrawl sympotoms but im not craving anything, because this is my last chance, ill lose everything my life my friends my family, maybe end up in jail. percocets are horrible. i was a good student worked my *** off for what i had, until that drug ruined my life and now i have to put the pieces back together.
Hey :-) I noticed you guys haven't recieved responses to your posts... You may want to create a new post of your own instead of adding to someone else's thread. I did the same thing when I first got here. Go to t5he top of this page and click on where it says back to forum. then click on post a question. You'll have better luck with that...
Also scroll up and look at the section to the right. You'll see "Most Viewed Health Pages" and in there "see all health pages". The most viewed are the most popular (of coarse) and there's always good info there. The "see all..." under that has a lot more good info so do not skip that! I am pretty new here as well, so I don't have all the answers, but I wanted to let you know where the stuff that has helped me is...

I can't really answer your questions, but you'll get a response pretty quickly when you start your own thread. Just remember the people responding are not doctor's or trained professionals, they are just people like you and me looking for answers. Sometimes you will get a good answer and sometimes you won't. This is a great resource for many people, but it's not perfect, so bear that in mind. :-)

Best wishes! And Happy Easter!
So I'm realizing that these posts really give me the
Encouragement I need to stay off pills.
It can't be cause u have no money or noone to het them from
It has to be because YOU want too. I know this
Is gonna be soooo rough and to be honest
I'm not worried bout the mental part of 1/5
I'm more worried bout the physical part
I'm such a chicken when it comes to bein sick
Or even feeling sick its hard for me to deal.
I started takin vicodin last june of 09 when I
Had hernia sx and I was 23. Then I took
A few percocets from a friend and fell
In love. It gave me the energy I needed and
The happiness from the energy I had been
Longin for. May sound korney but true in sooo
Many ways. so here I am needing help to stop
So if any1 can post me please do it would
Help me so much.
i began taking percocet about 2 years ago to help with kidney stones and endometriosis pain.  1 to 4 percs a day as needed.  after sometime the percs were not helping so i asked my dr for something else.  He gave me 10mg oxycotin.  i had the script filled 3 times, once for surgery. when i was done with the oxycotin.  I went through severe withdrawal, started with depression and quickly progressed into my worst nightmare.  I was still taking percs, that would help but not enough to make me feel better.  that was the worst week of my life and i immediately told the dr to never give the oxys to me again.  i stayed on percocet for another year sometimes 4-6 a day.  near the end of the month i would have to count and figure out how much i had left to get me through the rest of the month.  the problem was they weren't helping me with the pain anymore.  this week i ran out and actually considered getting someone to find them for me.  i decided i needed to get off the pills.  i was afraid about the withdrawal i had experienced with oxycotin and wondered if it would be the same. Tapering down DOES work.  i got down to 2 1/2 a day and then stopped.  the withdrawals were not as bad as when i stopped the oxys. but these last 5 days i will Never want to repeat EVER again.  sleeping is terrible, rls is driving me crazy.  right now i'm feeling better but at night would love to crawl out of my body and join back in, in the morning. irritablity foggy in my head , aches, and my stomach feels like i'm going to throw up so it's difficult to eat as well as for fear i will be running to the bathroom.  Day 5 is better.  I still think like i'm forgetting to do something and my energy level is sllllloooowwwllyy coming back.  Tapering is the absolute best way to minimize withdrawal symptoms..I am a mom and wife and this is embarrassing and i feel terrible that i let myself get like this. I have never done any hard drugs in my life, i don't drink. who would have thought something i needed for pain would F*** me up this much.  I    would also like to say that smoking pot has helped relax me the first few days.  i am 31 and feel ashamed to say that i am an addict.  for the first time i have never in my life felt so ashamed of myself.  i want to never put myself through this again.  PLS. for those of u of started taking pills for pain prescribed by your dr.  it's not your fault and taper taper taper and u will make it to day 5 as well.  
My boyfriend has been on a waiting list for a methadone clinic since the beginning of the year so almost 5 months. There is no movement at the clinic and we both don’t think he will be getting any help from them any time soon. So last week he decided to do it on his own. He says that he takes around 30 mgs a day, and stopped taking them Friday night. It’s Sunday morning and all night last night he was restless and had the chills and sweats. Today he is going up to a camp in the woods with a friend of his to deal with this alone up there. He refuses to do it at home as he doesn’t think he will have the willpower to do it when he could make one phone call and his pain will be gone.

I know he is serious about making this change and will support him 100%. Last night, he was very snappy and short with me. I expected an “edgy” behavior as I read about some of the withdrawal symptoms and side effects online. I guess my question would be, what can I do as his partner, and closest friend, to ease this transition for him? I’m very cautious to not be critical and I try not to take his behavior personal, but I am very worried that when he comes home at the end of the week he is going to be a different person who doesn’t love me anymore. I have written him letters for him to take up to the camp with him to read when he is in need of a boost, but when he gets home, then what? I need help to be the best I can for him, and to be his rock, but I need to know what I should do or not do to help him through this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is my day 3 and it's very hard, I guess you can say I was on 8 to 12 a day. I'v been havin every single w\d there is for percs but I'll tell you one thing the mind is the most powerful thing.Once ur body gets that stuff out off it your brain becomes the real recovery. Don't feel like you need something to get by a day your alive and that the best thing to have percs will make you loose ur liver. I don't really have friends helpin me do this myself instead I got peer pressure so I'm by myself and I'm strong you be too.
You are really right there is no magic is feelin normal right away again. I'm on day 3 it's been hard I been on them more then you can think at least 12 a day I did cold turkey it's the best way. But remember once you get them out ur  system the real road of recovery is ur brain which is the strongest thing ever. You must deal with the additive power in your brain.Its a long recovery but once the withdraws are gone next step ur brain recovery. You guys are the only friends that understand what I'm goin threw. I'll stay checking on ya'll  love mix girl
Hey there ya'll this is mix girl and it's day 5 today whoa! I'm wondering how it will be cause I'm still laying in bed lol bout to get up n moving though. Yesterday was my day 4 I feel really bad in the morning.But I said forget this I got up took a shower got pretty n went 2 al house in the country. I drove by myself now member if ur not up 2 driving then don't. But the windows was down I was breathing the fresh country air oh wait I did crab me aenery drink a big one too. I sat outdoor n my pal said it's so nice out here I cheris the little things in life then he said do you I said said yes because I just tasted a bit normality again.I felt almost high of life. I
forgot how good that feels just 2 be high off life. Insteadof just like things n talking nice with cause you were high off percocets .Im 25 n I miss be normal again. You have to learn how again how to do it you have to learn to function again get threw every day again and you  can do get to know urself again I am. Here we go day 5 I'm ready.  
I HAVE BEEN READING ALL THESE COMMENTS FROM EVERYONE, WHICH IS HELPING ME OUT ALOT!!!! -----I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE MY STORY WITH EVERYONE OF YOU GUYS!!! I AM 28 YEARS OLD WITH 2 KIDS-SINGLE MOM!! LOTS OF HELP WITH MY PARENTS, THANK GOD!!!! I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY! DONE IT ALL, AND WHAT A IDIOT I HAVE BEEN!! THE ADVICE I GIVE TO ANYONE IS ONLY TAKE WHAT YOU HAVE TO TAKE FOR PAIN AFTER A INJURY, SURGERY, OR WHAT NOT!!! 2 YEARS AGO I WENT THROUGH 2 SURGERY'S. THATS WHEN IT STARTED!! I STARTED ON THE PERK 5'S AND WENT TO DOING WHATEVER I COULD GET AHOLD OF!!! THEN FOUND A DOCTOR THAT PRESCRIBED ME 120 PERKS A MONTH!!! WENT THROUGH THOSE IN LESS THEN A WEEK!!! IT WAS SO EASY TO GET THEM OFF THE STREET. VERY EXPENSIVE THOUGH!! --SO I GOT HOOKED ON HEROIN!!! 2 WEEKS AGO I JUST HIT ABOUT ROCK BOTTOM, WENT TO MY FAMILY FOR HELP!!! THEY READ THROUGH ALL THE WITHDRAWALS AND SO WHAT AS I WAS IN A TRUCK WANTING TO BREAK EVERY BONE IN MY BODY!! I HAD TO GO THROUGH IT COLD TURKEY CAUSE MY FAMILY THOUGHT THAT I NEEDED TO LEARN A LESSON. IM THANKFULL THEY DID THAT!!! NOT THEN, BUT AM NOW!!! I WILL NEVER DO PILLS OR HEROIN AGAIN!!! ITS A WASTE EVEYONE!!!! ITS NOT WORTH LOOSING EVERYTHING OVER, AS I JUST ABOUT DID!!!! IM DOING GOOD RIGHT NOW. I STILL GET THE CHILLS, IM ALWAYS COLD!!! DON'T GET ME WRONG THE TEMPATION IS THERE, BUT IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT ANYMORE!!!! QUIT WHILE YOU ARE AHEAD!!! PLEASE!!!!!  PRAY, AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE HANGING OUT WITH POSITIVE PEOPLE!!!! WISH THE BEST FOR ALL OF YOU!!!!! QUIT
I had multiple hip fractures from a car accident. Was on Oxycontin and oxycodone for 6 weeks and was tapering off. Just 1 oxycontin every 24 hours and about 1/5mg of oxycodone every 24 hours. I am now on day 3 of cold turkey withdrawals. When does it get better? I so want to get back to normal. Haven't slept without sweats and delerium for about 4 nights. If I would have known it was anything like this I would have gotten off this weeks ago. I wish I would have been warned!  I'm hearing that day 4 - 5 is the turning point. Does it ever happen that you wake up one morning and feel normal and like you are truly through this or is it just a gradual increase back to a normal state? I wish you all well...My hope is in God who brings true healing.
HI you should be thew the worst of it already...it shouldn't be to bad for you because you haven't been on them long term...for most day 5 is the turning point but then the mental grind starts some come out ok but most go thew some stuff like lack of sleep a major energy crash..it takes a little wile to start to feel better usually after 30 days thing start to look a bit brighter hang in there you can do this...good luck and God bless....Gnarly  
Thanks for the encouragement. Here's hoping for day 4 or 5 being a turnaround. I hope the 30 day thing is in regard to people who have been taking for a long time and not me.

Hope your day is blessed.
Wow sitting here in tears.I have been on perc 10/325 was supposed to be 4 per day and I found out real quick it helped me deal with more than just lower back pain. It became life's magic problem solver for me.It was nothing uncommon to take up to 7 per day.I am amazed at all those who have gone through what I have.I am on day three and well stomach still feels bad,low grade fever,sleep no good but feeling a bit better today.Then intense leg pain is gone now.I will never go back.And anyone I know that thinks about this as pain control I will advise where it could end up and how horrible it is to let go. At first I was tapering down but decided to just dive in cold turkey. Not easy but feel like I am on the way now and if I can do it without putting any thing else in my body I will keep going.
had 11 or 12 surgeries altogether, was taking 8or 9 10/325 percs a day for 1.5 yrs. It has been about 46hrs since i have taken anything not by choice the pain i have is still a bit to much to bear on its own, but my doctors appoinment is not for another 3 days.I thought and expected to go thru a nightmare but so far alot of anxiety, stomach cramps, and that is about it.But after reading all these stories i am considering not getting my next prescription. I have to use two canes to walk and do not think it will get much better than this. So I guess the question is deal with the pain or go through this all over again.Like i said it is not as bad as i thought but i am cheating slightly with klonopin for the anxiety.which should be another joy to get off of.good luck to all of you, i know it is not easy.  
Hello everybody, Its 1:26 in the morning,and i can't sleep, I too am very addicted to Percs, and don't know what to do, so I just looked online for answers with withdraw and this forum popped up, everybodies stories were helpful, i go through sweats, body pain, the runs, restlessness, anxiety, etc. I really am ashamed of myself, because it seems like Im not myself when I don't have any, i feel lost and weak, because I was never the type to let anything especially a substance have that much control, my wife and i have the same problem, so neither one of us is any help to the other, as Im writing this, im watching her toss and turn in her sleep, feeling very bad for her because i know how it feels, honestly, the only reason we don't have any because we don't have any money to buy any right now, we talked about quiting on many occasions, we agreed that its destroying us emotionally, physically and financially, ITS A SHAME, I feel so conquered. Thank You to everyone who shared their story, Any advice would be greatelly appreciated.............
Hi Everyone,

I started in May taking Percocet 5/25 4x/day for knee problems.  My doc referred me to Pain Management and he upped the dose to 10/325 3x/day, all told I've been taking them for about 7 weeks.  Well he also prescribed a pain pill called Embeda, which is Morphine Sulfate around an inactive ball of naltrexone (which prevents the pill from being abused and if crushed will cause the Morphine to be inactive).  Anyway, I started taking a 30mg pill at night and it didn't really do anything but give me a nasty headache, so I stopped taking it.  The headache continued and then I had some vomiting and diarrhea.  I don't know if this was withdrawals, but to be honest taking all of these pills is making me feel like crap.  Sure, I don't notice my knee pain because I have all of these other issues!!!  I broke down yesterday and decided no more.  I took my last Percocet yesterday around 1PM.  Waiting for the withdrawal symptoms to kick in.  I feel a little tired and have some lower back pain.

My god, it scares the crap out of me to think of what kind of situation I could have gotten myself into had I continued on these pills.  What the hell was I thinking?  I feel for all of you who have shared your stories and I hope that you are back to your normal selves soon.  I just wanted to stop by to let you know that I'm joining you on this journey.
Hello Everyone,Day 4 for me, it hurts my everything hurts, but not as bad as day 1 and 2 i rolled round the bed like a baby,,,, hope i get back to "normal"
Hello and welcom. Just wanted to let you know that you will get a lot more responses to your posts if you start your own thread.  This is a old post.  Just go to the top of the page and it says "Post a Question"  You get a lot more help there   good luck and god bless
Lisa
jacksonville,fl
I am on day three now after 2 years of percs and occational oc's when my dealer had them.  I feel ok besides that feeling of being on an airplane in a tight seatbelt with no way to get off.  It's funny I woke up threw them away and rolled with the punches.  I am not only hanging in there I am ******* done.  Im ready to stop chasing doctors dealing with shady people and relying on a pill for my satisfaction.  Its only bad if you buy into that littlle ***** *** voice inside your head telling you to neglect your kids and put you family in danger for a high.  PLEASE PEOPLE RELAX FIND A FAVORITE MOVIE HUG YOUR FAMILY AND TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM AND LETS ALL DO THIS.  I DON'T KNOW ANY OF YOU BUT I LOVE ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS.  MY NAME IS RICHARD AND YOU CAN EMAIL ME @ ***@**** WITH ANYTHING.  Pray for me even if you don't believe.
I'm really struggling to quit percocet/oycodone (10-12x 5mg/a day for three months). I've been diagnosed with arthritis in my neck (degenerate disc) and a torn tendon in my shoulder. At first, I needed the pain meds for pain, but then I found this nifty little trick of snorting them to take away all my cares and worries. Well, now I've certainly compounded those. I do have a history of alcohol abuse, I no longer drink but can feel how the obsession has been transplanted to these pills. It completely *****, I've kept it a secret, and I don't know how to get out of this one without really screwing up my life. The suffering of withdrawal has scared the crap out of me, my doctor has cut my dose the 8 a day, I'm struggling to take them the way they're prescribed (orally and at intervals - lol) but woke up this morning with major anxiety and sweating. My question is, how should I stop? Wean off? How long with withdrawal symptoms last? Particularly the anxiety, which I fear the most? Would asking my doc for a tranquilizer help me? I know I'm not in as deep as some here and I feel true empathy for what you're going through - good luck to everyone.
i know i am addicted but i only take at night. i take 1 1/2 5/325. the one pill doesnt do anything anymore. i started taking them 5 months ago after my c section. i continued because of the euphoric feeling. my father is very ill and i have been quite depressed over it and it seemed to help take my mind off of things. because i take a lower dose and only once (occasionally twice) per day, do you think my withdrwl symptoms will be bad. i find i am doing the :doctor shopping" and i cant wait till night to take it. the only thing keeping me from takeing a hugher dose is that i am nursing and i KNOW i cant. i have checked with the ob/gyn and it is safe but i am afraid once i stop nursing, i will inrese the dose
Was taking Perc 10/325 and Oxycontin 30mg for several months.  I ran out almost a week ago and my doctor is out of town.  No other doctors in town will prescribe this stuff so there was nothing I could do to get more unless I wanted to go out on the street to get them and that is not an option.  Thank God that doctor left town and I ran out.  Yes, I have suffered from terrible withdrawals.  The works: sweating, then feeling cold, restless legs, insomnia, body aches, muscle pain...I even lost control of my bowels a couple of times.  Nice, right?  Nothing says loser like sh*tting your pants.  Anyway, I am at day 5 and doing so much better.  The first three days were hell.  On day 4,  had to go to an Urgent Care Clinic because I was so dehydrated and so anxious.  They were so nice.  They didn't treat me like a junkie.  They gave me stuff for my nausea, some immodium, and even prescribed me a week's worth of Benzos to help the anxiety, restless leg and so I could get some sleep.  I am so glad to have experienced this.  Yes, I said it.  I am GLAD I am going through withdrawals.  Because for me,  whatever momentary high you get from these pills is NOT worth me becoming a slave to them and they are NOT worth this kind of pain to get off of.  If I hadn't gone through this now, early on and let this go on for months and then years, getting off this stuff would have been so much harder.  At this point I am so disgusted with the whole thing, once this is over, no more.  I already told my pain management doc that I am not taking anymore narcotics and she will need to find another way to help me with my fibromyalgia!  Stay strong folks.  The end is near for so many of you.  Once you are on the other side, you will feel so much better.  Don't give up now.  Take your life back--don't let these pills take it all away.
i am 30 years old and have been on pain meds for 4 years. i am a type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump and high bp with many many other medical problems. i first started loritab at 26 when dr's thought i had bone cancer after two open bone removals. AWEFUL PAIN. i got bursitis from that. then i had a massive heart attack from the diabeties at 27 and had 5 heart surgeries so i got costo chondritis from that which feels like a heart attack at all times. i was put on fentanyl 75 pain patches for 2 years and decided to come off cold turkey. it was horrible. i tried to commit suicide last year because i was sick of pills and being sick all my life. pills had a lot to do with that. they mess with your emotions bad. then they put me on percocet 15mg 165 a month and i started taking more and more cause my body was getting immune to them. they wanted to put me on oxycontin and i just said no i have a problem and it's time to quit so i did. i wound up in a hospital because i threw 250 times a day and started throwing up blood. i got dehydrated. my blood pressure and blood sugar shot up out of control. coming off of this is far worse than the patches and they sucked. i am on my 3rd day now and slowly getting better. it is the hardest thing i have ever done. i feel for all of you and i blame dr's because instead of figuring out what was wrong with me they just shelled out pain meds. you have got to find a dr that wants to help you. that is key. one of the best facilities that just opened is in franklin, tn and they deal with this. state of the art and very understanding and caring. it's called rolling hills. look on thier website. i chose to do it by myself at home after the hospital and yes it will be the worst thing you have ever done. but it will pass. my prayers are with all of you and remember you will have a better life off of them.
hi I had three major back surgerys due to a doctors screw-up and have been on dilotted and percs 5/325 for 8 months plus morphind for most of my 36 days in the hospital i have been trying to get of the percs and dilotted for a month 2 days ago i stopped taking them because i am on lyrica for the permant nerve pain! I wen from 5 percs a day and at least one dilotted to 2 percs for 2 days then stopped i feel like crap im sweating im geting dizzy etc anything that anybody can tell me how to not feel like crap i cant take hot showers because of the nerve pain gets worse??????????????
I posted about a month ago about how I was on day 5 of coming off Percocet 10/325 and Oxycontin 30mg.  I had only been taking them for a couple of months, but wasn't taking them as prescribed, ran out two weeks before my prescriptions could be refilled, and my doctor wouldn't answer my calls when I was calling for help getting off the stuff so I had to withdraw cold turkey.  My last pill was taken on July 11th.  The worse of the withdrawals passed after about 7 days, but my pupils continued to dilate for about 3 weeks, and it's been a month and I still have no appetite, I am massively depressed and anxious despite the fact I am on anti-depressants, and now the fibro pain is back...and so are the cravings.  I just had a friend commit suicide--something I've struggled with my whole life.  All I want is for the physical and emotional pain to stop.  The only thing that did it for me was the Percocet.  But I know I can't go back.  No one will let me because I've told all my doctors PRECISELY so I couldn't con one of them into prescribing it to me again.  But the fact that I am still experiencing physical symptoms of withdrawal even a full month later....this is horrifying.  Yet, for many, it is the only way to live pain free.  So what do you do????  That is why suicide often seems like the only way to end the pain in your body and in your soul.  But we have to go on.  Lots of us have children.  I have small babies.  I can't leave them.  I don't want to.  But what do I do about the pain?  How do I treat pain without reverting to my old addictive behavior?  I had an appointment with a neurologist in town and had to cancel it due to work.  Now I can't get in to see him until OCTOBER.  I just feel so bad.  All I can take is Ibuprofen and we all know THAT doesn't do anything....I pray for all of us to find strength somehow.
I am now 31. I used to skateboard and one day tore the ligaments on the inside of my knee, and couldn't bend my knee for months. My docter told me to take advil but they didn't work so I found percocet through a friend. at first I was takeing 1-2 5/325 per day you know the ones with 0636 on them, they were great, I thought " I could do these forever" Its been about 5 years now. and I take upward of 8-10 per day over the last year. and I feel like ****, all I think about is how many i have, when to take my next dose, when to buy more, **** I think i even dream about them, all i want is to get off them!  I make about  $1400 per week and spend about $250 a week on perks thats over $10000 a year on percs!!!! am I retarded? my job is very physical and if I don't bring some percs with me I cant do my job. Every day I tell myself I'm going to quit, or cut back so I can quit but it never happens.. I need help
The suboxin method is the best way to go. I have tried before and was never able to do it but I stopped taking them 7 days ago and have felt amazing because of the suboxin. Unfortunately unless you know someone who can get them you have to go to a clinic or doctor to get them and I think they may be expensive because I don't think health insurance covers them but I'm not 100% on that. It seriously is the best way to do it though honestly.
HI and welcome to the forum....well first off if you really want it bad you can quit...many of us have here on this board and many are in the process as I write this to you...you can taper down then jump...this takes lots of discipline and perseverance or you can just got C/T and jump off...the withdrawal is a lot like a bad case of the flu with some added anxiety it will last about a week it would be ezer if you can get some time off work....I dont recommend sub
it is designed for the most chronic abuser in mind and is a program not a get out of jail free card it is also highly addictive and the withdrawals are more sever then the percs
stick around and read some of the posts so you will know what to expect when you ready to give it a try where all here to help...there is a lot of experience here to help you get threw this and it is so so worth it in the end...you dont have to live like this we know the way out ...good luck and God bless.....Gnarly      
what should i do? should i tell my doctor? what will he do? will he tell my work that i have a problem? I don't want anyone to know! I quit once before by switching to oxys and tapering down on Mg's with them because there is no acetaminophen in them and they are not as rough on my stomach. but that is a dangerous game also!!! I almost made it 14 days without  anything before I relapsed, this was about a year ago and i have since started taking more then i did before I did that. I have taken 6 percs so far today and 10 yesterday, i hope i dont take 10 today its only 4:51 now, if i can hold out i'll try to go to 4 tomorrow

You can trust your doctor. He/She is bound by strict codes of confidentiality. Most doctors will want to help you, a few are unsympathetic, but if this is the case with yours you should go to another.

Some people can succeed with tapering. Personally I would recommend cold turkey, as it doesn't prolong the suffering which you need to face eventually.

When you decide which route you want to go down, you will get massive help, advice and support from the list.

You should also consider now, what will stop you relapsing again once you've quit.

You can either ask your doctor to refer you to a counsellor or join an NA/AA group.

Take care
HI IF you tell your doctor he can help you taper off...there is doctor pacent confidentiality that prevents him from telling anyone....your still in the realm of a home detox your habit is moderate getting your doctor involved will be helpful there are other things he can prescribe that will soften the blow of the withdrawals...also to do this you have to cut your supply lines
or the temptation to use will overwhelm you and you will wind up using again pain pill addiction is not that uncommon these days your doctor will know what to do to help get you off this stuff...right now keep reading the posts and go to the health pages to the right of the screen and read up all you can...knowledge is power and the more you know about this the better off you will be....just remember to not let fear into the equation once this is done and over you wont be chained to a pill bottle any more...let us know how the doctor visit turns out and keep posting for support...also let us know when you plan on starting this we can help good luck and God bless......Gnarly      
I'm on day 2 without Oxy's in my body. For 3 years I was on that crap. I was hit by a car not once but twice.  It's a mental challenge. The w/d's are really bad, BUT there are always ways to counter it. With the diarrehea, I take Imodium AD once a day. My energy is almost none existent. My mind and body is not in sync. To focus I take Strattera it's a prescription I had a while back for attention deficent sydrome(ADD), bc after getting hit by the car, my mind couldn't focus. Now, I take that to keep my mind away from the cravings. Dayquil and Ambien and NYquil helps for bed time. I know how everyone feels. It feels like your body is eating you up from the inside out. Needlels...goosebump..vomiting, fatigue..etc. I will start posting to help myself and my brothers and sisters out there. Don't break down. I told myself, I've got myself into this crap, I'm going to suffer and get myself out of it. I'm went cold turkey for 2 days now. When my body don't want to do anyting, I force myself to do it, i.e., eat, get up, walk around and even go to work. Also drink lots of fluids! flush the crap out of your system. It's really really tough but we can do it. Good Luck.
Day 3 and the w/ds are hitting me bad. No appetite,very fatigue even tho I tried to take an energy drink. Gasping like I'm going to vomit. The sweaty hands and feet are here. I'm mentally unstable. i  got to get thru this crap. every minute feels like a day as your body is eating you up inside and you're a walking zombie. I am forcing myself to quit cold turkey. I wonder if that's right. perhaps I should slowly ween it off and not go completely with out it.  i am going totally insane. It's virtually mind over matter. My brain is "re-booting" itself.
I have been off of percoet for 2 weeks and it took that long to realize what was going on, that is unreal i still feel it and went to the hospital the otherday and was having extreme stomach pain and the running they gave me Morphine and some other things, i felt great for a day rthen started the withdrawl period again went back and was complaining of the same thing and a doctor explained what was going on i was shocked and looked for help i lookedon this sight and i am so glad to find out that there is something i can do to get back to normal.. the most i used was about 6 in a day. I am in A.A. and trusted my doctor to help me through another problem and was given percocet for.. I am still hurting  withdrawal is  very hard and i am just praying that i will be ok.. i wish the rest of you the best just keep it to today thats all i have is today and i am 2 weeks clean of them.
i wish i could talk to you all in perosn you all remind me of myself i know we really hate to label our selves as addicys but i need help please! i need more of the good lord or something! i cant handle the stealing for my habit or anything anymore i love my dad and my family to much for this crap to keep going on! i believe im about to go through withdrawls to everything matches up i have been taking them for quite a while, well for starters ive been taking a lot of perc 30's, and a few oxy 80s here and there. heres the thing i was rasied well and i love my faily i just got caught up with the wrong crowd and i know i can have a great and blessed future, i just need to want it, im extremely smart i like to think and im extremely extrremely blesses, like i stated earlier. sorry for those of yall who read since i didnt spell all this correctly but please help me! i need some guidance, its been the end of day two actually, now that i tihnk about it, and i have sweaty palms, i cant STOP thinking about the damned pills and i keep sweating. i feel so ancy and all i wan is a few pills or a perc. i hate thinking about how things have become what they have but they have, and all of our lives are to imporatn to be thrown away for a stupid pill that only does nothing but hurts you and others around you. thank you all for your storys, i like to believe that excepting you have a problem first, is the number one step, and we have all done that now. sincerley,

lewis
i started taking percs 2 years ago after my oldest child was killed.my sister who abuses several drugs gave me a 5mg and told me it would help me feel better and it did. i increased my 5mg to 3 5mg at on time by 9 months.then someone introduced me to 30s. and up until 3 days ago i was taking anywhere from 3 to 4 30s a day.and from day 2 i have been paying for each one. it became so hard i couldnt get out of bed without taking at least 15mg. my whole life was where my next perc was coming from and where was the money to pay for it going to come from. i hated it everyday for the past year.but i couldnt stop because it hurt so bad.well i learned about suboxen and 2 days ago someone sold them to me and i am taking a quarter a day and hav no withdrawl symptoms at all.and i am so happy right nowzmentally i want nothing more than to ever see one again.now physically i feel the same way. i am going to stop taking these after 5-7 days. so tht addiction to these will not be my next problem. looking foward to my emotion
I've been taking at least 300 mg of percocet a day, and I've been wanting to stop for a while now so I've been tapering down just taking like 2 or 3 30 mg percocet a day. Tomorrow I'm just going to do a half of one (30 mg) and than thats it. After that day the days that follow I will just rough it out and just fight threw the w/d. I hope I can do it...
I've been trying to kick this stuff for 1 year now. Back and forth from oxycodone 180 mg a day. Then back to
Suboxone for a week or so. When i went off suboxone i went 15 days with-out taking anything and the w/d
continued and I felt like hell for 15 days!! Then I thought i could start low doses of oxycodone but my tolerance
went right back up in just a few days too 180 mg oxycodone and more if i let it but i stop and go back to
suboxone. I know now that i probably can never have oxycodone again because of the tolerance goes back up so
fast. I started taking the oxycodone 2 1/2 years ago after back surgery. I had my lower back fused with screws
and never have gotten off since the surgery. I do need it for pain, but I can not STAND!!! withdrawals. I am going
to try the suboxone again for about 3 months on low dose after getting through the initial w/d from the oxycodone
that usually last about 8 days for me. I don't know if anyone can help me? My w/d never seem to end, and I feel like
hell all the time and feel depressed from either the pain or the pain of w/d.

Thanks all

Steve
I came on here & read this ...all of your comments have made me realize this is like having a monkey on my back . I have degenerative disk disease & heel spurs in both my feet . My doc started out just over a year ago with 4 perc 5`s & she just kept upping my dose to 12 a day . I am tired of having these stupid things run my life so I asked her on Friday to wean me off ....I am now down to 3 a day starting today & feel good . I took 1 every six hours for 4 days then now i am gonna take 1 every 8 hours for 3 days then 2 a day for 10 days . I find I am having no withdrawals except RLS a bit but no too bad . I wish everyone out there luck & strength with this horrible addiction as I know what everyone is going through . We all need to be strong & get these stupid pills out of our lives & it can be done . you just have to want to do it bad enough .
Just curious I have yet to see anybody mention the liver damage that some of you may have done from taking the poison in percs called tylenol. It does some serious serious injury to the liver and cause hepatitis and can eventually lead to cirrhosis.  Tylenol should have been banned by the FDA back in the 70's but it never did and doctors are still prescriping this poison to all there patients.  I suggest that most of you go and see a doctor and have a liver functions test done.  I have been an addict of Lortab, percs, and alike and would not tale more than six pills a day in the duration of the past 10 months.  I know have been diagnosed with fatty liver disease causing hepatits and if I dont stop taking this evil **** with tylenol in it I may do some irreverabacle more damage to my liver and end up with cirrhosis and or complete liver failure.  Deal with the withdrawls and quit bitching its either that or die.  It's that simple people.
I will again recommend Super Snooze by Sundown Natural for any sleep problems. It also seems to help with restless legs. It has melatonin and valarian root along with many other natural sleep herbs & vitamins. Melatonin alone did nothing for my sleep but this stuff really worked wonders and I get 6-8 hours of sleep every night even when I am going through the worst days of withdraws! Of course always ask your doctor if you are taking any other medications prescription or over the counter as even "safe" sleeping herbs can interact with other meds. If there is a good NA or AA meeting around you, check into it! If you can't find a good one (as was my case) then check with the local churches. I found a church in my neighborhood that I can walk to ( also good to get out and excersise) and eventhough they do not have NA meetings, they were able to counsel me and it has worked wonders. I actually prefer this to the NA meetings. It will take a couple more days IMO to start returning to normal. After a week and a half, I was feeling pretty much normal again, but I think going to counseling really helped with that too because i was able to get my thoughts / feelings out in the open and was given good advice on how to start thinking normal again. Good luck!
Staring day 1 of withdrwal tomorow morning, im freekn out cuz iv tryed this atleat 10 times only to fail on about day 2 or 3,i have no support and was wondering if anyone on here would like to join me as a suport team together. I have the worst leg pain with sleepless nights friggn tossing and turning man so bad!! Im about 17 a day of the 5/325 percocets and its time to stop! Any advice, iv been on them for a year from falling off a ladder 30 feet hight and cruched my ankle tib fibula in 50 plus pcs 2 surgerys 18 screws and a rod and waiting on getting them removed!!  Friggn ordeal these dam percs,love hate relationship.
I am just finishing day 1 of no percs, tomorrow is day 2 and I'm wondering if I'm going to feel worse than today? I've got chills and my skin feels like its on fire, I can't eat because then I'm in the bathroom with diarrhea 10 minutes later. How bad will it be? Is it going to be worse? How what was your worst day?
HI And welcome to the forum....well it sounds like your in acute withdrawals so it shouldent get worst but its going to take around 4 days to run it corse ...right now try a good hot soak
it will releave a lot of the symptoms...you may need several a day over the next few days
get comfortable with the saying ....'you just got to be ok without being ok for a wile''...the symptoms are only temporary...you posted on a old post you will find a lot more support if you go to the top of the screen and hit the green button marked post a question that way you will be starting a new thread all to yourself hang in there you can do this keep posting for support where all here to help good luck and God bless.....Gnarly  
hi to all I was on perkasets for back pain i fell down the stairs in pure ice and was taking them to help me and they help then   for  a year now I deiced I would love to have a baby so I went cold turkey on the but the most I was talking was 1 a day at 5mg one to a half of one and had cramping like i am prengent and the runs and headaches but I always get headaches sore back but also had sex 3 times this week and think I might be prengent but dont know yet until the period thing and wonder whats going on and also have some discharge on my pantyliner so not sure what to thing till my period thing I been off them for 8 days now and it is not a problem I am not attached to them  
Hello everybody, my problem started about 2 1/2 years ago I ran into a saw blade and lost my right eye. The doctors prescribe percocets 10mg, at first I use them as needed but eventually it wasn't taking my pain away so I stated taking 1 1/2  every four hours and before I knew it I was taking 5-6 10mg a day and I was hooked. My finance started taking them for his tooth ache but his too turned in an addiction. We have stop taking them now for two day, and yeah it has it's up and downs but I pray and know we will get threw this together. I only was able to take 6 days off work and I return to work on Friday 10/09/10. We stopped on Sunday 10/17/10. I really am hoping and praying I'll feel better by then. But the things that have work for us thus far is Potassium (for the RSL), Imodium (for Ruins) L-Tyrosine (for energy), Centrum Multivitamin, xanax & or Tylenol PM (to help you sleep) and soma (to help with muscle spasm) and a nice hot bath. It's crazy because I think to myself how did we get to this point but enough is enough. I'm excited to know I will no longer have to spend $300-$400 a week on this habit, I can get my life back and believe me I READY for all the blesses that's going to come my way not to mention all the money I'll save. I'll actually be able to enjoy my life . I guess you can say I'm being reborn. To everybody that's going threw this stay strong  and I have faith in each and everyone one of you...... YOU CAN BEAT THIS!!!!!!!!!!
A little more than a month ago I posted that I was doing about 300 mg of percocet a day ( on a bad day). I can now say thats f***ing crazy. I've been clean for 8 days now going on 9 lol. I tried before just tapering down using 30 mg perks and than just stopping cold turkey. I still went through severe w/d's. So I got back into them. Eventually my family noticed and I told them everything. It was heartbreaking to realize what I was before and what I turned into. I just felt like I was the biggest disappointment to my family. Than I got help from a great doctor and told him everything as well. He prescribed me to Suboxone. For me this drug is a miracle for some one in my condition. I don't really go through any w/d's and I feel great.  Highly recommended for anyone in a similar situation. Just make sure you contact your doctor first and get him to prescribe you to the right amount. Good Luck and Keep Your Head Up.  "John 3:16"
Way to go on the 8 days.  If you want to stay on the board and chat with us ... which I find really helpful ... it might be a good idea to copy and paste your post above into your own thread.  This thread is kind of old and people may not respond on it.

If you go to the very top there is a green Post A Question button to start your own thread.

Glad to hear you are feeling great.  Its always good for people just starting out to know they will feel good again so I'll really happy you posted.
my husnand and i hav been taking perks 10mg loratabs and perks 30 but we do have and addition from being perscribed the smaller perks yes we find the higher if need but not tht often  were 50 hrs into not taking it we have xanan to help with the anxiety but we r still feeling the intestine and stomach pro its been a 1 1/2 yrs i know tht we r not as bad as other people but ive been told and y researching day 3 is the hardest and day seven like i said im on 50 hrs and i have digestion pro and stomoache pro and pack pro but i wanna know how long it will take for withdrawls i quit cold turkey and i realy need some advice never been thr this b4 i had my daughter 2 yrs ago oct 28th and when iad a c-section they gve me pain mds and thts hwere it startedwell lke 6 mmos after it started getting wrse so please any advic would help i just need to know if it will get wrse bc the dr says day 1 is the wors but my friends wch r heavy uses sya day 3 but i cant c feeling ok now over nite on day 3 i could feel alot of worse it makes no sence so if anyone in the s ame boat plz gve me advice and no snorting or anything jsut taking thm oraly the hard part is i have endometriosis and apinched nerve in my lumbar spine so im deaingi just need to know if tomo i wake up and i am so sick i cant move and if im on 50hrs can it get worse on day 3 when they said the was hardest and like b4 my dr said 2 is the owrst day but i cnat see my self seen me get worse over nite lol
thanks again hope i get an answer