Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Percocet

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Percocet

I was prescribed Percocet and I received the generic brand Oxycodone W/APAP 5/325
Two weeks later i had a kidney stone and was prescribed Percocet again. This time the generic name was Endocet 7.5/500

Why was it Oxycodone one time and Endocet the next time.

Thank You,
                      Shadee
Endocet
Oxycodone is the narcotic in both of your scripts.  The former, "Oxycodone" is not the generic name of the  drug.....but the drug itself.  Endocet is the generic name, and has oxycodone in it as well.  

Oh yes, also your first Rx had 5mgs of oxycodone, whereas your last one had 7.5mgs.
......well at least we didn't have an "Oxycodone" brand in Canada, for all the years i took them.

We had/have Percocet(by DuPont)
            Endocet
            Oxycocet(by Technilab)
The last two were the only ones my insurance would pay the full amount for, as they require a generic be used.

....and all the ones i had filled(or bought) were the 5mg of oxycodone variety
It just boggles my mind that someone can take 15-18 Norco at once.  Now I have a prescription drug problem myself but I ahev never taken more than one Norco (10), 1 and 1/2 vicodin es and pecocet (percocet) 5, or 2 vicodin 5mgs at once. I basically am on a 10 year habit, albeit with many clean times over that period. Am I "Lucky" that my tolerance is the same?  Even when I take for my back pain, I never increase teh initial dosages.  I do, however, take about 8-10 doses a day.  I can't wait for the day to quit.  It is going to be soon.  I am on temp leave from work and on my last refill of Norco 10.  I hate these drugs and I am so much better with them.  I haev been to this board over teh past 2 years and I am sure I will count on you guys when the time comes.  I have read all yoru stories.  I just can;t fathom 15 norcos at one time!
kind of like there is "tylenol" the brand name of "acetaminophen"... you can buy "tylenol" with different strengths of acetaminophen in it...

in this case the "oxycodone" is the acetaminophen...

anyhow, before i confuse myself or anyone else anymore i will leave you with that~ lol!!

amber
Sorry to break in but have a question for the doc. I am 3 1/2 weeks off of 4 1/2 - 5 oxycontin chewing them and also taking from 15 - 18 norco at once. I have severe neckpain which is driving me half crazy. do you think it would be possible to take a much smaller dose (4 or 5 norco)once a day just to get a break from the pain and try to keep my sanity.Do you think I would have to go through the withdrawal again taking it once a day????Please advise
Dear Pax:

You don't mention why you were receiving the opiates and there is mention of your having neck pathology by one of the respondents. That is a gigantic quantity of opiates you were receiving and it is not impossible for there to be a protracted period of withdrawal symptomatology as Percsnomas mentions. If this problem is not due to pathology and is part of withdrawal it should be possible to take a muscle relaxant such as Flexeril or even a longer acting benzodiazepine such as valium for a very brief period to ease symptomaology keeping in mind the problems that can occur with them..
Hey Pax,
I know you've asked Dr. Bozian for a response; but i wanted to pass on two things/concerns:

1.) I know you have the history(pathology) with your neck and all, but i'm wondering if you are through all the withdrawals.  My point comes from my own experience with my back. I've had a couple fairly invasive back operations, and when i got off the percs, like into the 3rd and 4th week, my back was killing me.......felt almost like i re-herniated L5-S1
I was so convinced it was my back, that we booked another MRI.  Well while on the waiting list, the back pain eased(including some horrible jaw clenching), and has been overall very good since.
Plus you were on a pretty hefty OC habit, which have some notoriously long w/d's.

2.) Knowing your history of med-taking, what will allow you to take only 4-5(instead of the usual).  Isn't it easy to say, well 4-5 didn't do much, so i may as well take a couple more, etc.

Just concerned for you and all you have accomplished so far; and also aware that a person shouldn't suffer either.
Hi everyone, I've been reading all the threads for about a week now. This is a really cool site. I've never participated in anything like this before, but I can totally relate to you all. I agree with the the last post I just read, I can't imagine taking 15 to 20 norco at once, I've been on Hydrocodone for years, very continually for the past 3 years, I was taking around 10 or 12 vicodin es for years, I'd always take 1 1/2 at a time, but my Doctor recently switched me to Norco, I also hate the vicious cycle of addiction, Its really hard for me to Not take the pills though, I have severe arthritis in my ankle, I'm bone on bone, I had a bad car accident when I was 15 and almost lost my leg, 23 surgeries and 26 years later I'm unable to function without them. Even though I do need them I totally abuse them, as I've always done with everything, I have such an addictive personality, Hate That!! Well I'm begining to make this post a book..........LOL I'll post again now that I finally did it. Hey to all you guys No Lady , and others who are currently off Meds........Congradulations, and good luck with all your hard work. Also Melly if you read this please hang in there, keep looking and you'll find the help you need, prayers always help me when I'm in need. Nice talking to you all, Debbie

Hello-
I too have arthritis and have been through multiple surgeries so i can relate to you. My eyes teared up when i read your post. Im so sorry you have had to go through what you have been through. Your a tuff lady.
Im here to talk whenever you would like. I would love to get to know you better. My name is Erika im 31 and have Rheumatoid arthritis and take norco as well.
Anyway, hope your doing okay and I just wanted to say hi and that Im here if you want to talk.
Erika
18 Norco at once? You're sort of the Aldus Huxley of analgesics! What's the world like on 180mgs of hydro? I bet it's a nice place.

'Lot of tylenol, I'm sure you realize. Double trouble if you add alcohol. Can't get high if you're dead!

Thomas

Sorry to break the thread but I'm 6 days off hydro's 12-14 per day and I'm getting to the OK WHAT NOW? stage--Most of you know posting is my therapy and so far it has kept my sanity!  It's like having to take a look a the carnage of my life while on those demon pills and I really don't know where to begin.  When I start to become overwhelmed that's when I know I'm in trouble---and I can feel it creeping up on me.  Thomas I could use some of your usual sardonic wit--Kilo I miss my southern brother (by the way my husband and I were at The Beau Yesterday--Absolutely love the coast. rodewk--Chezz--Hippi--you too are inspirations--Oh well thanks for letting me "Vent"- To all of my other guardian angels peazy & percs thank-you--Take care my love to everyone fighting this horrid battle known as addiction-Peace & Prayers-Mystere/AKA New Orleans Lady
my husband and I just got back from sseing the movie "Anger Management"--It was really cute!  I had to pick up another bottle of the L-Tyrosine and there was only one left on the shelf at the General Nutrition store---I told my husband there must be a whole lotta opiate addicts detoxing this weekend!  Well I'm not feeling as overwhelmed and it was great knowing that I could actually enjoy a movie without my precious hydro's-I hope everyone has a great weekend--New Orleans is in the middle of one of its more famous parties-JAZZ FEST-I think we are going to skip it this year.  Anyway thanks for just listening and being here--So far I'm staying ther course amoving ahead!  All my love to you wonderful people Peace Prayers Mystere-AKA N.O. Lady
Hey girl I'm still here. Just got a new job...scrubbing 6-8 cases a day in 20lbs of lead does wonders for your back. Just been so damn busy, I really do miss all you guys, and Thomas you have got to stop...my sides hurt so damn much from your last comment. You're a trip, but brother you tell it like it is. That my friend is always the best path.
I'm 60 or 70 or 74 days clean...I stopped counting. My new job keeps my mind focused and I really don't dwell on my 2 year hydro binge. Doctor wants more surgery on my shoulder, but until that Mo Fugger really starts hurting I'm holding off. Would like to be 6-12 months clean before I consider another "fix" for my rotator cuff. My tolerance should be way down by then. Oh well that's the scoop!
Hang in there Nawlin's...Saints season coming up real soon.

Peace

Kilo
God it is so great to hear from you and I'm so glad you are doing well--I'm a surgical tech from way back and I can totally relate to the agony of a lead apron-I worked Neuro at first then worked with a private orthopedist as first assist.  Everytime we had a fx hip they would drag out the old C-arm and the aprons--I got out of it about 7 years ago just because of it being so physically demanding!--I did enjoy the total joint replacements and especially arthroscopic surgery! Well you are one of my many inspirations and I'm almost finished a book by Jack Trimpey called Rational Recovery--It puts me in control! What a concept!
Anyway much love and peace to you and your family--Getting ready for Saints Season!  Gee I don't even know who we drafted today!
Peace and Prayers Mystere AKA N.O. Lady
Unless they started making them again, Dupont no longer makes percocet or percodan.  Endo does.  Endo also makes Endocet and Endodan, their generic versions.  This happened in August of 1997 where Endo obtained certain branded and generic drugs from the then Dupont Merck company.
Do you have someone lined up, like your doc, to dispense those four to five vicodin a day?  If it were to be you getting a bottle of vics and doing it yourself everyday, then no way.
Percocet-Endocet....Tomatoe-Tomahto
Mystere- I remember reading a 'Rational Recovery' book and found it made a lot of senset...thanks for bringing it up. I'll have to buy/borrow it again.
Good Morning--I agree with you as long as the pill had hydrodocodone or oxycodone I didn't give a damn who made the stuff! I seem to be struggling a little bit today--7 days post hydro-Hell and I'm a little restless--My Beast (Hydro's) is whispering in my ear every so slightly!  I know this will pass and I guess I'll just have to work through the moment--Robyn I enjoy your posts--very insightful--Take care I hope you have a wonderful Sunday! Peace/Prayers--Mystere AKA New Orleans Lady
DuPont Percocet, is still dispensed here in Canada.
I saw yet another of those luscious white plastic bottles(of 100), with the distictive blue with orange trim label, last Tuesday.

mystere, although they all contain oxycodone, up here when we were give the endo's, we would literally groan.  Actually they had a nickname with us ("endomyknob"....sorry, but true)
On the street, you could only get 2 bucks for them VS a whopping 5 for DuPonts.  They all have different binders and fillers; and believe me, a different effect.......yaya but still 5mgs of oxycodone..........well you can have the endo's.

Stay strong NO Lady, you are making it!!!!

percs(DuPont)
Didn't know I struck a nerve with you.  You must be having a bad day to let something so trivial bother you.  I happen to know him somewhat and I wasn't starting anything with him.  Percs, does Canada have its own Dupont company that only serves Canada?  I honestly thought Percocet is a brand name that can't be used by more than one company.  Kind of like me opening up my own Pepsi plant.
Hey mike, i don't have a fricken clue; i just ate them for ten years; and all my buds that still take em, get and prefer the "Dupont Percocet" brand.

Actually, tomatoe and tomahto doesn't really apply anyways..........when was the last time you grabbed a bottle of Hunts(or any other) over Heinz ketchup??

I am still under the impression that Dupont Pharma still makes "percocet".  Endo pharmaceuticals makes a generic oxycodone.
alrighty-then! Guess you haven't heard the song....the phrase...just an example.
Huh?...having a great day actually!...I addressed my post to 'Shadee' I was referring to Percocet and Endocet being the same thing just different name. Nothing to do with ketchup! I was using it as an example for Shadee.

Have no idea where your coming from.
Lighten up.
It must be a Canadian deal then.
Oh yeah, I NEVER buy any other than Heinz.
Ok, one more link:  http://www.endo.com/healthcare/products/percocet.html
no other kindz
Mike i only continue,, knowing how much we liked DuPonts.

These are the real deal....dupont enscribed on one side, and percocet on the other; AND come right from the drug store, from a legitimate Rx(NOT expired). In a DuPont bottle(maybe a Canadian deal as you mentioned)

Sorry about the tangent, but these babies were close to my heart.

Have a great day everyone.............we're still shovelling out from a massive snow storm, that claimed three dudes to heart attacks(6 total heart attacks)
I was fine.  I thought you were the one who had to lighten up.  Just a misunderstanding.  Here is one helpful link that should end this one:  http://www.endo.com/investor/profile.html  If you read enough of it, you will see where they purchased the Dupont Merck Company in August of '97....six years ago.  Actually, you don't have to read far at all to find out what you might need to.  Percs, I would be careful if you get any Dupont Percocet as they are most likely expired.  And, I am sure Endo ships worldwide.  The percocet I used to get had Dupont right on the pill.  It isn't there anymore.....just "percocet" and the strength.
yo, kilo
i have had both shoulders done , rotater cuff/ decompression/
where the take the bone out of the socket and shave the socket a 1/4 inch.
any way just want to let you know i was told by noted phd.
that if i had stretched my shoulders everyday by bringing my
elbow close to the lower chest and and doing a pulling stretch twards the oppisite shoulder and visa -versa i would most likely have not found myself on the operating table.

peace hippy!!!!!!!!
for those trying to stay off the
percs / the white ones /yellow ones / and blue / and orange
endos
hydros
lorcets
vikes
or oxy 5,10 20 40 80

probley best not to read this / it is what is know as relapse
to a certian extent.

peace!!!!!!!!!!
Amen-Couldn't have said it better myself--Mystere/N.O. Lady
Point taken.  The thread should have died after Dr. Bozians' response.

Hi everybody.   Please pardon me for breaking in here. Just a quick question....will  demerol provide me with as good pain relief as percs? I have surgery next week and told the doc that percs and vics make me itch. (I don't recall discussions about demerol.) Is it an opiate?

Thanks guys!

Sharon
I dropped it.  But, people talk about this stuff all the time.....about percs, vics, and what have you.  Sorry if I offended, but I don't see the big deal.  You know me better than that.
Demerol is an opioid medication.  How long are you going to be needing pain relief?  The reason I ask is because demerol metabolizes into a normeperedine and it accumulates in the body and can cause seizures.  I do know someone first hand that found out the hard way by eating too much and had a seizure.  She had a hip replacement and broke a leg during the seizure just after the replacement.  That had to be horrific.  Anyway, many docs are steering away from demerol.  Mostly, it is used as a one time pain shot in the er or something to that extent.  Oxycodone will work fine.  Any agonist such as oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine and so on would be fine.  The key is whether they give you enough.  Usually, when a med "doesn't work", it is because the dose isn't high enough.  But, is it too late to say you had "a bad reaction" or something else so he might give you another med?
hi michael,

I've already got the vic. 7.5 rx from my doc., and the demerol one (50mg.)  I may only need the pills for about a week or so. But, he's  given me enough for 2 weeks. I love  percs., I just didn't want to be extra itchy while I'm healing.

Does demerol give that wonderful feeling like percs.?
Type that or "normeperedine" and you will see what we mean.  Demerol is about half as effective if taken orally vs IV.  IV is supposed to give one nice feeling, but you don't want to try and find out orally.  I would imagine it would give a buzz, but it is dangerous.  I can have this girl email you if you would like and she can tell you about what happened to her.  If it is taken exactly as directed and for a minimal time, it should be fine.  But, your question leads me to believe you may over do it.  If you would like, give me an email address I can have her send to.  I wasn't bs-ing.  There are docs out there who still do prescribe it, but it is much less prescribed than it used to be.  Can you take some benedryl with the percs for the itching?  The itching is a histamine reaction.  Get an anti-histamine like benedryl.
Wonderful feeling? Well if you consider cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, kidney failure and **** load of other ills to feel good then go for it. But you might want to go to Google or Yahoo and type Demerol side effects and then decide.

No obsession here.  I don't take them anymore.  Hippy, don't worry about it.  It was just very hard to figure out what you meant by that.  Apology accepted.  No biggie.  And, it was a misunderstanding with Robyn Banks, which I am sorry about.  I should have read all the way up to the top of the thread.
If you look at the first post MrMichael sent me out of the blue- you will understand my response (I had not posted to him previously-I posted to Shadee).
here:
"Didn't know I struck a nerve with you. You must be having a bad day to let something so trivial bother you. I happen to know him somewhat and I wasn't starting anything with him. Percs, does Canada have its own Dupont company that only serves Canada? I honestly thought Percocet is a brand name that can't be used by more than one company. Kind of like me opening up my own Pepsi plant."
sorry robyn, i meant not harm, i understand  now.
i did say in my post that no one said anything wrong.
i know michael was under the impression , i thought he said something wrong. i was trying to clear it up.
i don't relish in explaining myself,  as i said in my post
i relate to what oxic and percs said, i am also guilty
of doing what i said we should try to avoid, that being -  
makeing certian drugs look attractive.
i was not having a bad day, i was just posting to new people in the 1st post and in the 2nd post  , i was letting mr. michael know  my  1st post had nothing to do with his postings.
normly i do not defend myself , but i have  to much respect for
you and mr michael, oxic and percs. so i hope you all
will accept my apologies..
ps. sometimes it is good to reread what we wrote, because it does
not always come out like we wanted it to.
we sure are a sensitive lot.
peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hippy

Hippee,
I just wanted to make sure that you know I was quoting a post made by MrMichaels, I did NOT say that you must be having a bad day. YES YES ...a very sensitive board this is!....Its the whole topic of addiction being so personal to everyone, not to mention how emotional we all get during withdrawls.
Anyway- didn't want to have you thinking I said that.
Gosh this one little post has been far from simple.
Take care and have a great day Hippee!!!!
good day pguys/gals...i have a question: what is the obsession over manufacturers of oxycodone?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that is the obession my friend lots of $$$$$  Pammy
Ohhhhhh...thanks!  you'd think i'd know this stuff since i think i set a world record for oxy consumption.  :)
hey michael, i found nothing in your post that was
in any way wrong, your just brought good information
about duponts possibly being expired.
i posted  to new people,what caught my attention
was  oxic's  post where he said, and i quote
I SAW YET ANOTHER OF THOSE LUSCIOUS---------.
the word luscious means sweet or delicious.
thinking of  a certian kind of percs being more
delicious then another brand, it just seem s
to be the wrong message to new people.
I take no offense, i can even relate to it.
i just thought it was  a good idea for  a mention to people trying to quit  them and or
stay clean  to focus on a different topic.
no one did or said anything  wrong,  i did not understand r banks telling you to lighten up, it did not make sense.
but when i here that certian percs are delicious or lusious
i get  a little phansty going in my head, and that is relaps
to a certian extent. its glorifing a certian drug.
Oxycodene or percocet etc. are different than Endocet for some people. Endo is the generic and is said to have the same ingredients. However, I had a terrible reaction to endocet and never had any reaction to the others. When I spoke with my pharmacist I was told that as much as 20% of patients have similar reactions to endocet so be careful. My physcian was appaled when she called the drugstore to learn of this and has since ensured my scripts are clarified. I only get percocet and they do still exist. I am at the moment trying to not take any pain meds and am trying ultrasound therapy as I do not want my body to be ruined by the need for pain pills. I am sharing this as an information item to help anyone who may not be aware of the Endocdet problems.
I have been on Percocet since 1996. I get it at the VA for my severe spine condition. From then till now the prescription has been for 12 a day. During that period I have tried other stuff with them prescribing morphine sulfate and fentanyl patches. Morphine tied me up very badly and fentanyl seemed to be making me sick after almost a year. So I am back to Percocet. I fear liver problems and so over the past year I have weaned myself down to 6  a day, taken 1/2 a pill at a time, 2 hours apart 24 hrs a day.

Over the past 2 years I have been getting spells of dizzy and nauseous, lasting a few days then going away for varying periods of time. But now I am having constant  intestinal pain and stomach pain that goes away for a while when I take another half pill, and bouts of extreme fatigue.

Recently they scheduled me for an upper endoscopy and a colonoscopy in the same procedure. I have had both before and never had a problem. But this time I could not keep the Golytely lavage down and so I got only the upper endoscopy that did not show any problems. Then yesterday I prepped again for the colonoscopy and could not get even  a third of it down and so I stopped before heaving my guts out. I went anyway and they refused to examine me because I was "unclean".

I am thinking that all of these problems may be a result of my 12 years taking Percocet.

Any thoughts from anyone?