Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Phenabarbitol any info???

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Phenabarbitol any info???

Does anyone know anything about Phenobarbital, my doctor just put me on for 30 days to detox me off Ativan and BUSpar. Any advice side affects anyone know off? Thanks
Missy ,
Doctors do use phenobarbital to detox poeple sometimes .Make sure to stick to his taper .It can be addicting as well.Be very honest with your doctor about the you feel.I hope it works well
Phenobarbital comes as a tablet, capsule, and elixir (liquid) to take by mouth. You may obtain a specially marked measuring spoon from your pharmacist to be sure of an accurate dose of the liquid. It usually is taken one to three times a day and may be taken with or without food. If you take phenobarbital once a day, take it at bedtime. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take phenobarbital exactly as directed. If you are taking phenobarbital to control convulsions or seizures, follow the exact schedule prescribed by your doctor.

Phenobarbital can be habit-forming. Do not use phenobarbital for more than 2 weeks if it is being used to help you sleep. Do not take a larger dose, take it more often, or for a longer time than your doctor tells you to. Tolerance may develop with long-term or excessive use, making the drug less effective. This medication must be taken regularly to be effective. Do not skip doses even if you feel that you do not need them. Call your doctor if you have convulsions or seizures while taking phenobarbital. Do not stop taking this drug without talking to your doctor, especially if you have been taking it for a long time. Stopping the drug suddenly can cause withdrawal symptoms (anxiousness, sleeplessness, and irritability). Your doctor probably will decrease your dose gradually.

Is it in a red capsule? What we use to call reds a long time ago?

Because if that is what i think it is it affects differently. I'll tell ya about my experience with them. It was not good.
Some one told me "space tabs" really help with withdrawl (withdrawal), I know they have phenobarbital in them - but they are also supposed to help with the night sweats, sleeping, anxiety etc.    
Dont know about that...i have never taken a barbituate before...has he tried a weaker benzo...but i am sure he knows what he is doing and if u follow his taper u should be fine..i know ativan is a slow taper...i had never heard of buspar withdrawal before....just keep to the taper as they are habitforming
took it for migraines a long time ago....addictive.....and got me high as a kite!
He put me on Topamax for migraines. I trust him he has me taking it for 30 days and that its. Thanks for all you advice I really appreciate you guys!!!
I loved that Topamax! Great for the Migraines.Now look, I not kidding, If your hair starts falling out, It's the Topamax!! I was losing alot during, washing, brushing, drying, etc... Took them forever to find that it was Tompamax. It's a side effect.. But guess they have it buried! lol..lol...
Just wanted to give a heads up... Good luck with it... Other than that I loved it..

Lady
Lady....are you serious? I was wondering why I could literally get hairbrushes FULL of hair!! I just kept thinking I am glad my hair is sooooooo thick!
wow thanks for the heads up, I've also heard its helped people loose weight, any truth to that?? Could stand to loose a few pounds! Thanks
The tompamax yes it does . I changes the way alot of things taste as well. I could not drink any soda when I was using it ,it tasted sooooooo bad.