Please help: RE: - Using Neurontin 600 tid for opiate withdrawals. Need facts.
1 of 3 posts to this question for the experts:  I've been taking about 6 Percocet 7.5's &/or Hydrocodone 7.5-10mg 5x's a day for 4 months now for chronic pain. I'm all out & can't get any filled till 3-3 & would like to try my Neurontin 600mg tid to help with the opiate w/d symptoms. I can go get my Rx for Neurontin this am & only have one 7.5 Percocet left. Planning to take 1/2 now & 1/2 at 10am. After that I plan on using Neurontin 600mg 3-4 x's daily for w/d till I can refill the other on 3-3. I've been through opiate withdrawal - it's HORRID & I don't want to check into detox again. I'm definitely an opiate addict and have been off & on 10 yrs but for legitimate reasons. Is there physical evidence Neurontin will help?  CONTINUED ON NEXT POST!I've always hastily checked myself into detox when coming off opiates.Can't do that this time. Also take Klonopin 1mg 3 times a day x 15 years. I'm not getting off the Percocet's/Lortab's completely unless Neurontin can take it's place. I'm very active, in school full time & taking 15 hours, & work full-time as a server when not at school. This is going to be difficult. There's no 'easy way,' but please advise me about the medical evidence of Neurontin helping me this time. Highest Regards, ScaredtoDeath42
Hi and Welcome to the forum.  

There are no medical experts in this forum.  We are people who can give you the benefit of our experiences but that is really about it.  Neurontin has helped a number of people ease their withdrawals while detoxing, as it takes the edge off of anxiety and it can have an overall calming effect.   The question you asked would need to be answered by your own doctor, or you could try possting in the Experts Forum.  

Best of luck to you...

S.
I have been taking Neurontin for the last two years.  I was getting off percs and benzos.  It helped me greatly.  I still take 600 mg. at night and it works great as a sleep aid.  Neurontin also works on anxiety so it might help.  I am not a doctor but was prescribed the neurontin for chronic pain and stress so it might help you.  If your Dr. has given you this script then trust he knows what hes doing.  It won't hurt to give it a try, I did and I'm glad I did.  Good Luck
I used Neurontin to get off the percocets.  I would eat my bottle of percs in 2 weeks, buy whatever i could for a week and always had a week with nothing.  I read about neurontin and went to my doc and got a script for neurontin AND lyrica.  It helped TREMENDOUSLY.  I was using so much that i was high off of that and it became yet another substance my body was addicted to. ---- But it helped with the opiate wd.   The last time i quit the percs (109 days ago) i stayed on the neurontin for 2 weeks.  getting off of it is pretty nasty, you sweat a LOT and have anxiety (do some research on neurontin withdrawal).
It will help you with the WD but be careful your body doesn't become dependant on that as well, because stopping the neuro is hell also.
I am on day five off tramadol, I'm not an expert, but the nuerontin is my best friend right now! I have had virtually no wd symptoms, and I have been through the hell of wd before. S
how much neurontin should one tak ein a day to help with withdrawals
i was taking a lot.  I had the 600mg and maybe would take 2 every few hours.  as soon as i would start feeling crappy i'd take more.  please be careful with those!
Be careful with Neurotonin!  Great medicine but it can be overdone.  My daughter was prescribed it for migraine preventative and with high doses, her short term memory pretty much disappeared!  She pretty much stopped thinking.  Take with a doctor's supervision and be aware of warning signs.

Jane
i am taking 6400 mg of gaba per day and it's not enough. It helps ALOT . if not i get a ton of anxiety.
i always use more than i should and run out and have to go beg dr for new script.

Anyone else have this problem?
My dr told me that neurontin has a max dosage, at which point, it can't be absorbed. 600 mg at one time, i believe, is simply maxing out your body's ability to absorb it. More mg has no effect. That's what my dr told me years ago.

Try to evenly spread your dosing and see if that helps. Your body can't absorb that amount.  Every 4 hours, 600 mg. Maybe in the morning, every 4.

When neurontin fades, it's a somewhat unpleasant feeling for me. However, i've discovered over the years that napping or exercise rids the feeling.

Your anxiety could be related to the neurotin fade, rather than the opiate wd.

I took neurontin for years and stopped for years before deciding on my new drug. I believe the doctor. More pills have no effect.

neurontin is not addicting to me, but it does cause a bit of malaise on the day i take it. I suspect that this is at least part of your anxiety.

A schedule will work better. Here's what i used to do:

Take 600. about 3 hrs after the onset (the time you feel the effects), dose again. My body takes 1.5 hrs to absorb.  You'll limit your anxious feeling without taking them wastefully. compress the times if your onset is faster than mine.