Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Post detox recovery

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Post detox recovery

I just went thru anesthesia assisted rapid opiate detox and AM MISERABLE!!!!!!! IS THIS NORMAL???
Can anyone help me with what im experiencing?????  I have NEVER been more miserable in my life nor angrier than I am at this moment.....It will be 2 weeks ago this coming Friday that I went thru rapid detox and I'm not getting any better.
unfortunately I have heard this with about 90% of the time where did you have it done .Is there a doctor you can call.There is a entry in my journal about how dangerous it can be.I know you feel really bad but I am glad you got threw it .can you get some colodine.what are you coming off of .
Thank you for responding!!!!!!  It was done at a hospital in Mansfield, TX.....I talk to the nurse just about every day - part of the program....I have an rx for xanax.....I was detoxed from Lortab 10/500....and am so incredibly angry and miserable w/o it...feel like im losing my mind!!!!
Wow, i have wondered about that rapid-detox. Sounds like it doesn't work worth a ****.

Sorry for you, it must be very dissappointing. So what are your symptoms? maybe we could give you some home-remedies..... you are experiencing withdrawl (withdrawal)?
You need to understand a few things about addiction here. In my opinion the rapid detox places are really false advertising. Even if they dangerously detox you in a few days you still do not escape post withdrawal and particularly PAWS -----  many Pro's still do not understand the mechanisms of PAWS. They are more psychological, but they will have ya poppin narcs to stop them if you arent aware. Rapid detox does not address this adequately. There is simply no way to get out of this problem painlessly. I can really understand looking for one - but there is research (based on reality) from Canada that documents way too many deaths on rapid detox. I would say you need the amino acid's that help with energy and depresssion and that foggy head feeling. We simply cannot address nor correct all the things we did to ourselves during our use. And time is a big thing for recovery. It takes awhile. Do the aminos to feed your head...............good luck
I just feel like i have been run over by a truck and the naltrexone makes it worse.....i am EXTREMELY lethargic, depressed, angry, etc...etc......i just lost my dad on july 4th as well....then i lost my job last thursday!!!!!!!
Had I known I was going to pay 10K to feel this way, I WOULD HAVE NEVER DONE IT......and i had no idea it would be this hard........what is PAWS??
please understand i'm not yelling at you.......i know all caps is that....and that comment wasn't directed at you personally.........im just way PI**ED.....and i will take anyones help i can get right now.......

thank you for responding....
welcome...I am so sorry you feel this way...10 grand, WOW!!  Look to the right in the health pages and read about PAWS, and vitamins, and animo acids to help...I have also always wondered about this procedure...Can you tell us what they did?  And how much of your DOC you were on before??  You can help alot here, that has been thinking about doing this procedure..
I hope you feel better soon!!!
God bless
r2r
I would ask the doctor for colondine .it should help you with the left over with wd symptoms
No problem with the caps ---  and I do not blame you a bit for feeling this way. I almost went that direction. They made it sound so good. Just stop by and we will put you to sleep while we detox you with IV meds.......not.

PAWS is post acute withdrawal syndrome. Might be a little in accurate for you since the w/d's shouldnt have been really acute while you were out. But take out the acute and its still real. These are things that seem to appear at fairly predictable times after withdrawal. 30-60-90 days seem to be strong points for this for some reason. Cravings get stronger and triggers go hair pin. Just taking a narc sounds like a good idea. This is psychological addiction trying to get a grip on you again before you get away. Dont let it get you. The narcane will not stop it. It will at best make you take more for a buzz if you go that way..... Strongly say to get on the amino's. Look at bottom rt hand side of page under health discussions - Amino Acid Protocol is listed there and you should try and do them. Think about it. Dont know how long you used - but most here are multi year users. Just cant fix that in a week. Feed your brain what it needs to start decent serotonin and dopamine production again. BTW - in the same area as amino's you will also see PAWS. Read through that also. You will never learn too much about this..........
I have been reading posts here for about a couple years now. I am in no way a doctor but i have noticed some patterns.

When people quit cold turkey- the withdrawl (withdrawal) is of course sheer hell and it seems that the recovery takes much, much longer to actually feel normal again.

When people quit slowly (as the drug manufacturer recommends and i did) the withdrawl (withdrawal) is much milder but yes the physical withdrawl (withdrawal) is drawn out longer. But the recovery of your brain and digestive system and having normal energy is quicker and smoother. probably because you are not shocking the body so badly.

It may be that the rapid detox is even harsher than a normal cold-turkey quit. it sounds like you are at like a 4th or 5th day cold turkey quit. it usually is not that bad still at 2 weeks.

If i were you, i'd start those aminos right away. all i took was the l-glutamine, l-methionine, and l-theanie. and lots of protein in diet.

you may be too far along now to do a slow tapper with hydros. it may just set you back. there is really no way to know.

are you able to eat alright?

Refer to post just a bit above by HenryS - on Waismann rapid detox --------------
Im sorry you had such a bad experience and you are feeling so crappy. What exactly do they do with this rapid detox thing??
thanks for the info on the aminos......i tried the tappering off and it just got worse.....and can't go back now.......

and as far as eating goes........wasn't able to eat ANYTHING until about a week later........am slowly getting back in to eating one meal, if possible, a day......the pills gave me an appetite as well as energy to live....i have NO appetite or energy
the hospital and research on the internet stated that going cold turkey could cause seizures and/or lead to coma.......so i was taking them to get high and to not get sick at that point........i wasn't strong enough to do it on my own....and still don't think i am to do it the way i did either........
From what I've read about rapid detox, they put you under and completely clean out your opiod receptors.  The problem is, I think they clean out the things that are SUPPOSED to be there too, the things that cause all of your natural good feelings.  I truly believe that the only thing that will cure addiction has to do with whatever will fix these receptors.  Amino acids that promote the production of our natural endorphines are probably the only answer to feeling better the fastest.  Scientists should start working on a cure for fixing our receptors, instead of these rediculous, dangerous methods.
you're EXACTLY right.........i feel drained of EVERYTHING.........
I feel for u...when i knew little about the addiction process..i had looked at that as well...now i see how it could do little to help in the long run...as the long run is the tough part..the fatige and depression that lingers after physical wds are over....10K...but u r clean..i would do my derndest to stay that way so the money would have been well spent since it is done...keep posting..support and a positive attitude is the key...get ur brain healthy and, exercise, follow the amino protocol and give it some time...i used to believe in miracles but the older i get the less i believe...most things worth having take alot of hard work...keep posting
Sounds like you went through all the withdrawals, despite what they did for you.  I went Cold Turkey from hydrocodone a few times.  After 20 days, I would be at a good 95% Normal.
I report the doctor b/c you should not be feeling like your feeling at all!
Just wanted to let you know I can relate. If you ever want to talk, you know where to find me.  Thank you for your message!!!!  It will be 2 weeks tomorrow that I went thru the rapid detox and i am still INCREDIBLY MISERABLE!!!!!!  Had i known before doing it that i would feel this bad, i would have NEVER done it.......but the pills would have killed me and my husband/family wasn't standing for that....I was admitted in to the hospital 2 weeks ago today, observed, medicated for the night and they took me in around 6am Friday morning....they gave me versed and another white milky substance and the last thing i remember was them putting the mask on my face.......from what they tell me, they put a breathing tube down my throat and another down the other side of my throat...then they put me thru 4 cycles of whatever it was that they use to draw all of the opiates out....(the opiates are absorbed in your GI tract) i went to recovery where they continued to give me versed and valium and i woke up around 3:15 friday afternoon and was extremely uncomfortable......saturday morning was the WORST i felt like i had been run over by a truck and then beat in the gut w/ a baseball bat.....couldn't move......couldn't eat.....didn't eat until about a week later and can only manage 1 meal a day still.....diarrea (diarrhea) REALLY bad - sorry to be so gross - no energy still, very lethargic, depressed, angry and anxious still......am going to see my reg. doctor today to see if there is something he can do.....the cycles also washed out all the anti-depressant i was taking so had to start over from scratch....have NEVER been more angry than going thru this.......does this help?? if you need any more info, please feel free.......
I disagree in theory that any rapid detox could prevent PAWS or craving later on...the fact is we have built extra receptors to hold all the endorphin we were pouring into our brain on pills...those receptors are still there and will crave for a while until they go into remission/go to slee as the body does not use them..when we stop using drugs and the brain has time to heal..the receptors will shut down slowly pver time....in 3 months significantly tho...sorry...i just dont c any long term benefit to rapid detox
i did not know that.......THANK YOU FOR THE INFO.....i am going to see my reg. dr. today and will let him know whats going on.....

it just seems one thing after another keeps happening and i have wished and prayed that i could have gone w/ my dad when he passed on july 4th....I MISS HIM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH......he was ONLY 67.......he made it possible for me to be able to pay for this....at the same time im COMPLETELY miserable........how does that make ANY sense????  after i went thru this i lost my job...........this year has been a TOTAL nightmare.......
i have yet to see any benefits from the rapid detox....i totally agree w/ you!!!........i was MUCH happier and felt so much better when i was on the pills......
EVERYONE OF YOU ARE MY NEW ANGELS AND I THANK GOD FOR SENDING ME TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never been involved in a forum like this and I so appreciate everyone's honesty!!!!!!!!!
I was lucky enough to have a decent doctor when i quit. He started me on Cymbalta (an anti-depressant) a couple of months before i was going to quit. I never felt anything strange while taking it, but i did notice that if i forgot to any day that i was really angry for no reason. ????  
Anyway i stayed on it for a couple months after quitting and slowly weaned off it with no problems at all. There is no way to tell if this helped me or not, but i did not experience any depression after quitting.

As far as the 'bad year' you are having - it is a good thing to have many things different in your life when you quit. It makes it easier to learn how to do all the daily things without drugs now. The pills were an all around habit as we were funtioning addicts. Learning a new job and new people without the drugs doesn't leave like a void. It just makes everything new.
I moved, quit a job, left a relationship and started a whole new life. I contribute these things to my success in quitting and staying off. I have had no cravings or struggles what-so-ever and am 10 months now.

I am in no way trying to tell you what to do, just sharing what helped me.
I am sure many of us felt better on the pills...but if we had a problem with the pills...we are much better off and with time we feel better than we did on pills...just give it some time for ur brain to heal...staying on pills for life to feel good is not an option for most...so u r clean and keep moving forward..i was surprised as well after quitting that there was so much work to do beyond the physical wds..alot of work..but support is helpful and staying strong..u r lucky u found the forum
bump back up  ^^^
How are you doing 3 years after the Weismann method?  My son is wanting to do this in California but I am not too sure about the success of it.  I would really like to hear how you are doing now.  Please call me if you have time to talk.  Thank you.
Rene'
281-300-9930
I doubt they will read this. Better sending a PM and I would recommend taking your phone number off.
Also there have been people that have done this. They weren't successful. The hard part is that's there's no quick easy solution to getting off meds. It's take hard work and time. Wish you luck and hope it works for him.
Has he tried other options like tapering down? Don't think insurance covers the rapid detox.  
I am with ballgame.The fact that w/d is uncomfortable is the very reason why there will always be someone trying to capitalize on it financially.The only good news I have heard about this procedure is from a doctor who comes onto this forum.And guess what? She is the doc that runs and probably owns the rapid detox clinic.
Rene. I just did the Waissman Method. I have also gone through it myself 1 1/2 years ago.
For me personally, it was not easy, but much more gentle than doing it alone with a doctor helping me taper off and crippled to my bed for 3 weeks of pure agony. I believe it is a more gentle and supportive method. Yes expensive, but I believe it was worth it. Everyone of course has their own journey.
It is still very hard. The work begins and never stops. I am still in constant flux and having people you trust around you is very important. I am happy to call you if you want to talk.