Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Potatoes
About This Community:

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Potatoes

Hi everyone, I am on day 12 of being clean and spilling my guts to my family and friends.  This was my second time doing this to myself and my wife who is insanely understanding and supportive said she will not go through this again.  So, some steps I have taken which may help others through the initial periods of being clean are as follows:

1-like everyone else says, vitamins
2-acupuncture
3-therapy

My acupuncturist is very knowledgeable on the subject of drug abuse and he gave me some tips.  Eat baked potatoes.  Specifically do the following:

1. Keep a food journal, logging everything you eat for 7-10 days.
2. Eat three meals per day at regular intervals.
3. Take vitamins.
4. Eat a minimum ratio of one part protein to two parts carbohydrates every time you eat (snacks too).
5. Increase consumption of complex carbohydrates.
6. Eat a baked russet potato w/o proteins or fat three hours after a protein-heavy evening meal. Do this for 10 days to increase the
brain chemical serotonin, which gives you impulse control.
7. Reduce and eventually eliminate sugar and alcohol (much more possible with high serotonin levels).

I haven't been through this specific regimen but I am starting today to see how it works.  He also recommended a book called "Potatoes Not Prozac"

Just wanted to post this info so that it might helps others.