Prednisone
How do you get off prednisone safetly after 20 years safetly?
why were you taking prednisone for 20 yrs?
that will have alot to do with any answer i may give,  i need to know that before i can answer
I am a asthmatic  have sarcoid and  rheumotory arthritis
ok, man i have asthma too
well, i quit smoking a few yrs ago so now my lungs are good
but prednisone made me nutz

has your doctor given you other options such has zopenex or pulmicord
these are mild steriods and if you use them in your nebulizer, and slowly taper off the prednisone your body will have a little help

what dose do you take, how many a day?
I presently take 10mg a day I have been working with my doctor he was not very optimistic about me getting off the steriods but he said if I wanted to try he would stand behind me but not to get dissappointed.and he said to do the every other day taper 10 9 for three days 10 8 for three days I did 10 9 for 7 days and then went down to 10mg  8 mg at that point I started having trouble breathing to the point where I had a full blown asthma attack you forget how horrible it is not to be able to breathe until you are in that mode, I figured I could either go to the er where the would pump me up with 120mg bolus of steriods and multiple breathing treatments or take 20 mg immediately I couldn't even get a word out so I opted to take the 20mg immediately it helped alot along with a breathing treatment and my dose of  advair and spirva.  I did this for five days and then went back to my 10mg Which I am presently on I am dissappointed but I rather breathe then not breathe any suggestions.....