Pregnancy and Pain Pills
I am 30 weeks pregnant and have been using oxys and percocet throughout my pregnancy. I don't always use every day and when I do it is just a couple here and there.
I don't really experience withdrawals and i feel awful that I have not been strong enough to quit. I have now stopped using completely and I was just wondering if anyone knows if this will have any effect on my baby.  
Talk to your ob ASAP!!!!
I am RN. Qutting cold turkey is not the best. That is the worst thing you can do. Tapering off them is best but taking narcotics during pregnancy will not cause birth defects. Yes they may go thru withdrawal but birth defects, not so much. so please please don't post things you no nothing about. Thanks
and how was it was ur babies fine while taking oxy .plz help
Funny this is coming up, because I just watched a show last week called Drugs Inc, about prescription drugs and YES, the babies are born addicted.  The mothers that had severe addictions, the babies had to continue being given meds for weeks after birth because of the severe withdrawals.  I know that some women use during pregnancy and think their babies are fine, etc, but it all depends on the amount you take.  You never know what the baby is feeling, it could be suffering at birth and because you are not inside that babies body, you just do not know.  Maybe it will cry a lot, maybe it won't be as smart as it could have been if no pills had been involved.  There are many issues that show up in the older years, not just at birth.  This is proven.  Researching it online is the best way to find out.

I dont mean to sound controversial,but quitting is the only way or telling your doctor and letting them deal with it.  Dont make an innocent life that you say you want suffer.   You know how bad our withdrawel is, the baby experiences the same things.  It should be born into the world feeling safe and happy, not like s**t.
Hi Could you please tell me what you would call "moderate" use of Percocet, ie how many mg per day? I have problems with my back hips and groin, I can barely move at times. I am 35 wks now.
This thread is pretty inactive and the person you are addressing posted in 2007.  Go up to the top of this page and click on the orange ask a question button.  Restate your question and you will start a brand new thread so your post won't be missed and you will get the support and answers you are asking for.  You might give a bit more info so we can understand and give you good responses.  Be patient help will come.  Glad you found this site!!
Dear roxmom;
I know what Suboxin is.
It is an opiette blocker.
I personally am not sure if its safe to take during pregnancy (should find out); but i know that it helps withdrawls.
If your to take one right when you get up in the mornings, it will stop you from doing the pain pills.
Since it's an opiete blocker; if you were to take a pain pill--
you wouldn't feel it at ALL. it'd be a complete and utter waste for you to.
It takes away the sweats, restless legs, anxiousness, back pain, etc.
HOW CAN DOPE BE WORTH WHAT COULD HAPPEN???
i am almost 22 weeks and i have been taking about 3 to maybe 4 pills a day can that harm my unborn child i am really concerned??????
hon, I want you to get the help you need.  I posted earlier that this is an old thread and not many will see it.  Go up to the top of the page and click on the orange post a question icon.  Copy and paste your post and it will start a NEW thread for this forum.  There are many here that will help.  It is a very good and active forum.
There are no birth related effects but if you have had a positive drug screen at any time during your pregnancy then DFACS will not let you leave the hospital with your baby. It happened to me and I had to fight to get my baby home with me and had to do a 20 week rehab program and have DFACS in my life for a year.
sometimes she does and it is the strong who survive. If a woman is suffering she deserves to feel relief from that. Painkillers have never been proven to cause birth defects, only withdrawal if taken in third trimester in which baby needs to be weened off.
hi princess i really need some help and advice and would b soooo appreciative if you could email me .... ***@****. I really need advice nd help and you being a social worker is what i need. please email me back. thank you so much.
Hi can you tell me more abut pain pills and pregnancy im sooo scared i feel so horrible but i cant stop!
:( Brandy
thats also one oops too many to be playin games.a child has no choice,did  not ask to be born.did you get preg accidentally,or on purpose in response to ur comment on noone gets preg on purpose there!
and what do you think happens when two people have sex, with out protection on his and her part, accidents but common sense goes a long ways!
im currently 26 weeks preganat..i have been taking half a perk 30 almost every day. im addicted to snorting them..i have been buying sumboxans trying to quit the pills without having withdrawls.. does anyone have any advice on what i can do to quit everything?..will they take my baby in the hospital?..im soo scared!
You really need to speak with your OB about what you're doing. Suboxone is no different than taking the Percocet...

Also, start your own thread so others can respond to you. Go to the top of the page and click on the "post a question" icon.
first off Im sorry you in pain and now have to worry about what might happen from taking pain pills while carring your baby, I have been in your shoes and I know its not a good feeling I was taking vic, pecs during the frist 5 months of pegancy my doctor was giving me a script but then wanted me to stop and i continued im not proud of it but that was in my past, but to answer your quistion my baby was fine at birth she was a little small 5pds one once 18 inches long ans the palcenta was grey im very lucky the fda states it is not sureof the affects of the meds if taking during pregancy.. please stay stong and try not to take them i know its hard when you are in pain,, but most pleople start off taking them cause they are in pain and the pills can take over your life i wish nothing but the best for you,,god bless a friend
TO ANYONE WHO IS POSTING ON THIS TREAD.PLEASE START UR OWN NEW THREAD.This is such an important topic and there is a wealth of information here but ur post may get overlooked if u put it here.Also I c so much judgement and frankly incorrect and damgerous info here.U CAN NOT go cold turkey while pregnant its very dangerous.Also u come here for advice not judgement.Please start a new thread so u can get the proper advice
How long does it take for it to get out of the placenta I don't want them to take my baby plz help me
Trust me, no doctor would tell you to stop cold turkey. This could be dangerous to the baby. Be honest with your doctor about what you are prescribed and if you want to quit taking them he can work with you to do it in a controlled healthy way. Cold turkey could cause many problems.
i just want to no if these pain pills will be out of mine and the babies system when he is born? its been 6 days since i have taken anything and i am due any day now.
Chelsea this is a really old thread and you may not get the replies you are looking for.  you should start your own thread and lots of people will help you.  I think the opiates can stay in the baby's placenta and meconium for quite a while.  Your baby may now be going through distress and withdrawals depending on how much you were using unless you tapered with a doctor's supervision.  It is really important for you to talk to your doctor and be honest with him right away.  I am not trying to scare you, I am just concerned.
How much were you taking and what were you taking?
Nobody will judge you here.  We just want to help you if you can give us more info, we can answer you better.
Percocet does not contain aspirin.  It contains tylenol, which is safe during pregnancy if taken in a prescribed dosage.  Too much of it can cause liver damage for both mother and baby.
i really enjoyed your comment but im neew looking for help as well how did you find it?
I know you posted this a long time ago but hope you might see this still... I was on pain meds from my doctor also and have stopped taking them with no withdraws but I am still worried about my baby having them my question to you is did you take them up to delivery or did you quit before and the baby still withdraw? I am currently 34 weeks and haven't taken anything in a week.
I know this is very old but I am hoping someone reads it. I am 15 weeks pregnant and have been on pain pills for 4 yrs. I never thought I could have kids and then bam I find out I am pregnant. Don't get me wrong I am the happiest person in the world right now, but my addiction has gone to far. Not only was I taking pain medication recreationally, I was also taking aderoll for the energy. The aderoll is not the issue right now although I have taken it while pregnant. I was up to taking 90 mgs. a day. The day before I found out I was pregnant I had taken that much. I have slowed myself down and have eventually stopped! But, the pain medication is a different story. I keep hearing it is not safe to withdrawal from any type of medication/drug. I havent told my doctor yet because I am scared they will bring cps in it and take my child. Before I found out I was pregnant I was taking up to 10 thousands a day! I have slowed down to four and have tried to stop and can't. The withdrawals are unbearable! I didn't say anything to my doctor last month because I thought I could stop myself. I have never admitted I have had an addiction until now and only because I want the right help for my child! I made this mistake by starting four years ago. The only thing I can do now is ask for help! I have cried for days because of being so scared I don't want to lose my child at all... I have wanted a child for so long and thought I couldn't have one. I have a doctors appt. today and I am coming clean today. No more prolonging it. I can't do it alone, and need some help. This is the first time I have addmitted to ANYONE about having this addiction, although my husband, mom, grandma, and friends knew. They have been waiting on me to admit it. If it weren't for this blessing (whom I am afraid I have screwed up now) I still wouldn't admit it and would be getting my fix anyway I can. But now it isn't about me anymore it is about my little one! This is my first step to recovery, and I feel your pain! I am worried that people will think I am a bad person and even worse a bad mom. But I know I will be a GREAT mom! I just made bad decisions in life, and now am paying for it! I wish all of you who are experiancing the same problem luck with it and for you to get the help you need to recover for you and your child! I don't want to be addicted anymore.
I am 13 weeks pregnant and have been prescribed Percocets for about 4 years. I was hit by a drunk diver in 2008 and suffered two broken legs along with many other things. I now have a titanium rod in each leg. My OBGYN told me that being on them is fine. I also take Zoloft. Again, she told me that this was fine. I take 4 Percocet 7.5's a day and 75 MG of Zoloft. I have asked so many questions about these during pregnancy with my doctor. She has explained to me that the Percocets and Zoloft are safe to use..in my case. Everyone is different. I CAN NOT go through a day without pain or an anxiety attack so therefore it is best for me to take these. If someone thinks that if you are on medication then you are "selfish"..whatever. You have your own opinions but first you need to take care of yourself in order to take care of your baby. I didn't ask to be hit by a drunk driver and have rods in my legs..which the accident causes me to have the anxiety attacks because I was diagnosed with PTSD from it.
haha i talked to my dr about being addicted to pain pills and she can give me something to taper myself off all she cld say is go to detox or rehab which i told her i cant do that bec i have 5 other childrent which i had to take them to school and i dont have no one to watch them. and i even to to the er n told them my problem and all she cld say is stop now and i told her what???!! i cant stop cold trukey it cld kill my baby and have still birth and she said i never heard of that you can just quit but u will be sick but u can just quit without any help. i was shock bec that hospital is where i will have the baby at.. it pretty fk0000 uppp
I don't truly know where to start I am currently pregnant at 24 weeks. I have been taking hydrocodone off and on through my pregnancy I have decided that it is time to stop them all together but I'm still afraid of the affect they are gonna have on my baby. Any comments or help would be amazing.
Hi my name is nicole I've been on xanax for 5 years for extreme panic and anxiety disorder i take only 2mg a day now and am scared to death for my unborn baby,i have tried everything to fet off them e even a detox facility. Plus nine different drs i have had seizures tring to wein, and feel like im stuck, does anyone have any advice?
Do not try to get off Xanax by yourself when you are pregnant. Loss of pregnancy is a real concern when WDing from Benzos. It needs to be done under a doctors supervision. Can your OB help you? You need to tell them & make sure you tell them you've had seizures before detoxing!!!
Wut if your addicted to perk 30s what kinda harm does thay do?
I will tell you now,You are an addict.I know pain,live it daily.I have 5 children who are addicts.Saddly, I am prescribed pain med & I DON'T Take it.My oldest 2 are recovering.been on methadone over 2 yrs,next likes to snort just about anything.Like I'll tell anyone,if your truly in pain Swallow,Don't snort.ADDICTS SNORT.My step daughter who was/is in denial throughout her pregnancy snorting perc 30s everyday sometimes up to 90mg daily.She went into labor 3wk early.Her son cried awful 1st 15min to point nurses were getting suspecious.He is now 3month old & still cries unless he has a bottle in his mouth.So my reply to ALL pregnant mothers isn't to judge any of you.But my ? is you know when there is that kid out there who just annoys the living hell out of you.Wont stop talking,bouncing,just being plain annoying & you want to hang em from a hook just to stop them,Well this could be YOUR CHILD.but also know you are what you expose yourself to.The foods we eat,the products we use etc can have great effects on us & unborn children.Sadly are whole society has gone to hell in a hand basket.We have to take charge of our lives,our destiny's otherwise  we just succum to nothingness.As hard as it is, if you put your mind to it,you can do it.Pray alot & seek God & proff help if you can't.And remember pleasse be thinking before snorting,or drinking or shooting/smoking.The life you may save just might be your own.God Bless
Just a thought and I may be hammered but if your abusing narcotics addicted or not you may think about using protection,,,guys and girls. If it does happen then PLZ take the advice of those who said be honest with your Dr. You cant save your pride and your babys life both, Its not to late to get over the guilt and into the solution.
I also am addicted to pain pills, they have been prescribed to me for a year now and I am 37 weeks pregnant. I only take a couple a day no more than 3 however I am wondering if my baby will go through wihdrawls and will the drugs be in his system when I deliver? Do they test babies for that at birth? I have tried to stop but the withdrawal was so bad and my baby lost wait. What should I do I am due in 2 weeks and don't want the hospital thinking I'm a druggy. Please no judgement
This post is really old so the best thing to do to get your question answered is to post in a new thread. That way people will probably respond more quickly.
Codeine is one of the WORST you can take in pregnancy, if you can not taper try a different pain med.  I know to us codeine is the lesser narcotic BUT in your body it breaks down into morphine for the baby.  

http://www.cfp.ca/content/56/1/25.full

This study shows only mom who took codeine, even in recommended amounts the baby had withdrawals symptoms.  My OB gives me percocet, as most oxy is pregnancy category B.
.... so if someone is in a car accident and breaks their femur they are being weak?  If someone is enslaved in chronic pain for years and can not care for her children in the mass amount of pain and must take a small amount of pain medication to function while pregnant, this is what you have to say to her?
Have a friend who used cocaine regularly at 5 months of pregnancy whole 5 months ..what ate the chances.if she stopped that the bby will have withdrawal s
I would just go by what your OB recommends. Just a FYI that at any time they can tear your urine or blood for drugs. They can also test the babies meconium (first bowel movement) and it will tell them any drug you have taken while you have been pregnant. If it comes back positive they are required by law to contact cps. So just make sure you only take what your OB prescribes and you will be completely fine.
I have been using 4 mg of diladud here and there throughout my pregnancy. It's only been like 1 or 2 every few days for the past maybe 2 months to deal with my broken tail bone. I'm now 34 weeks and have stopped as of today..will my baby have withdrawal when she's born?
you cant take suboxone preganat ONLY SUBUTEX which doesnt harm the baby... suboxone has to much (ibeuprofeuaim) in it and SUBUTEX is used for pregnant woman.... Ive gotten off IV drug use and am 20 years old , found out i was preganant at 2 months. Stopped right away, SUBUTEX SAVED MY LIFE!! hope all goes well <3
I know your post is old but im 37+1 weeks pregnant just need to hear someone else story who was in my situation and outcome 5 days cold turkey is great specially for the baby less drugs in baby system , I know all our bodies are different but I only have 12 days till my delivery im having a C-section on thanksgiving 11-27-20114 , today is my first day not taking nothing I fill horrible I flush the rest of my pills to assure my self that I will not touch another I have been taking 5mg Percocet's my whole pregnancy, I had watch video's of babies withdrawing cant let mine do that , I know now im withdrawing and so is my baby I rather him do it with me so I can give him iron and vitamins , I fill if I go into early labor atleast im close to due date he will be a couple days clean and it would not need  much help on outside I just want to be able to take him home when I go please tell me how u did it and what was your out come , I pray to god u get my post in time and respond  
Since this post is so old you need to start a new thread so you will get replys. Go to the top of the page where it says post question and start your own. I promise someone will reply,  there are lots of helpful caring people on here that want to help they just can't see your post. Hope you do so!
Do you have proof? Are you a doctor? Or are you just saying this because narcotics are taboo?
You need to stop being so judgemenal, I'm on baby number 3 first two I took nothing not even Tylenol. Baby 1 was fine baby 2 has ADHD with a compulsion disorder. I never missed a prenatal vitamin and I ate healthy the entire time. Now at 35 I suffer from chronic fibromyalgia and IBS that has been exasperated by this pregnancy. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant. I have been taking Percocet 10/325 2 pills twice a day for this entire pregnancy (34+5 now) and my baby is fine.  Have had genetics testing and I go twice a week for non stress tests and one again this baby is ahead of the curve in every aspect thank God. You have to have a quality of life while your pregnant, suffering in pain is not healthy for you or your baby. Let your doctors and your body decide which avenue is best for you and your baby. Get advice from licensed physicians who are qualified to provide you with the most accurate assessment of facts as possible.
IMO...I think it would be great if all the CPS reps would get off this site. It really can't help knowing that CPS is trolling addiction websites. All of the women here are trying to get help.

Ladies, are you all aware CPS has the rights and resources to trace your computer IP addresses, use GPS trackers, electronically monitor your home, etc? I'm sure the CPS reps here are just bored or possibly trying to help, but their presence and what they represent adds a level of stress and paranoia on this site.

Yes, we know-- drugs BAD. CPS will get you. Thanks. It's just not helpful to these struggling ladies.
Unfortunately, this is a VERY OLD thread and very few of the people that posted on this thread are still around.

Why don't you start your own thread and ask your questions?  Nobody will judge you.  We have a lot of PG women who need some help.
Just find the "post a question" tab at the top of the forum page and current members of the forum will see it that way.
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.