Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Pregnancy and Pain Pills

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Pregnancy and Pain Pills

I am 30 weeks pregnant and have been using oxys and percocet throughout my pregnancy. I don't always use every day and when I do it is just a couple here and there.
I don't really experience withdrawals and i feel awful that I have not been strong enough to quit. I have now stopped using completely and I was just wondering if anyone knows if this will have any effect on my baby.  
I was on pills during 3 pregnancies - you can email me anytime .
When did you stop taking them all together??  They usually recommend not stopping if withdrawls will be a problem.. going through withdrawl (withdrawal) can harm the baby since the blood pressure goes up and we become hyper tensive.
It has been 5 days since I have had anything and I have felt fine. I just need to stay strong and stay away from them, I just hope that my baby doesn't have any problems at birth.
Pain pills rarely cause any symptoms at birth other than withdrawls..  Your baby should be 100% healthy.. I am around this board alot and never has a woman come on and said there baby had negative effects from pain pill use that is moderate..
I was on them during all three pregnancies, especially the last, and the babies were all born healthy.  The last one the doc had me on Norco 10s.  I was going to taper and stop before delivery but he came early so I didnt have a chance to.  None of the babies had withdrawals symptoms...
Don't stres yourself out.  You can't change the past, but you can do the right thing now!   You can can make sure that your baby isn't welcomed into the world with nasty/awful withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms by sticking to your guns.  You have 10 weeks (not months or years) and I so strongly believe that you can make it through WITHOUT justifying that "oh well, one more won't hurt" --- and doing so will work to your advantage in that all will be fine and healthy for you and baby!!   Get rid of the temptation - don't leave any in the house, purse or car.

Remember - for you it's only 10 weeks, but for baby the effects "could potentially" last  a lifetime (babies born an addict tend to have drug issues later in life). Don't play russian roulette - and save yourself the anxiety/stress that goes along with it.  I quit during pregnancy and used tylenol for pain and benadryl recommended by my OB that kind of acted like a sedative for me when I had a craving.  Best of luck to you and your new little one.  Hang in there it'll go by quickly, I promise!!! (you'll start nesting soon and be a little busy bee)  

Stick to doing the right thing, and all will work out fine!  I'm glad you decided this for yourself and baby - it's never too late to turn things around.
I also took percocet thru my pregnancy for a broken tailbone. I took more than you did, and my OB and GP both said it was safe and baby may be born with withdrawals but unlikely. It is best, obviously, not to take anything, but if you are taking just a few here and there, do not stress or worrry, and whatever you do...do NOT stop completley. Stopping the drug this far along can cause serious stress on the baby. -- Oh I just re-read your post and you have stopped -- good for you, and rest assured, there is very little chance of birth defects (I can give you a phone number or a website to a place called Motherisk, their nurses will tell you narcotics are safe in moderate doses). I highly doubt you will have a baby with withdrawal. I took a few pills the day I went into labour and my baby is perfect. NO withdrawal symptoms. Scored 9 on agpars and he needed zero help other than a bath at the hospital. They sent us right home.

My baby is five weeks and doing very well. Do not stress. he is crying, mus go. Good luck and relax and enjoy your pregnancy.
PLEASE DON'T TAKE THOSE PILLS.THEY ARE HARMFUL  TO THE BABY
what happens to the baby if your on pain meds? i mean will my baby be messed up or anything wrong with it
Can anyone clarify for me if they have any knowledge as to the best way to taper off codeine during pregnancy. I'm 7 weeks now & am taking codeine with tylenol & methocarbamol (muscle relaxant)
my doses are from 8-22 pills a day but I have managed to get it down to 4-6 pills/day since discovering my pregnancy 2 weeks ago. I am considering an in-patient rehab for 28 days but they do a methadone taper and that scares me with the pregnancy. Anyone know of a resource to find a good taper schedule?? I already have insomnia, sweats, headaches & some abdominal cramping from the tapering I've done & I don't want to harm my baby going cold turkey OR by continuing this nonsense, either!!! I'm afraid of relapse wich makes me think rehab, but if at all possible, I'd like to uproot my family as litle as possible!!
IM new here,, I just found this site by google. I never thought I would be posting anything of this sort and am actually quite embarassed. I am a full time paralegal and have 3 beautiful children and a great fiance. I just found out that I am pregnant, probably somewhere around 4-5 weeks, or less. I just took the test last night, as I was 10 days late!! WOW! to my suprise, never thought of having another one! I have 3 children, (12, 8 and 22 months). Wasnt expecting to get preg again, but miracles happen for a reason. Bad news,,,, Ive been taking precription pain pills since my last child was born,,, I had taken them before I was preg with the last one, only here and there maybe once or twice a week. SInce I had my daughter, and I had problems with my back, I have taken them EVERYDAY since her birth on 2/26/06. so for nearly 2 years, Ive taken 8- 10 pills a day. Now I just found out about this pregnancy and Im sooooo scared of how to get off of these darn pills without going thtough some type of withdrawal. My dr. prescribes me 120 oxy 15 mg a month. I usually take 5-6 a day of those ones. If I run out of those, I have my perc 7.5 that I rely on. If I dont have one within a 4- 5 hour period, I get ancy, sweaty, achy, I cant sleep, I fell anxiety, so I know its time for another. My body has created a dependance. Ive tried to get off before, only finding myself taking less and then back to the same routine within a day or so. Im so scared that I may be addicted! I dont want to be! Ive NEVER tried any drug before in my life, I dont smoke, and Im so ashamed that I take these pills everyday! I want to get off, especially for my new baby! But how? How do I do it without getting sick? How can I? Ive heard of some pill called Suboxone? anyone heard of that? Does it work, is it safe? Please help me, I am sooooo desperate! I need help and have NO ONE to turn to. And by the way,,, my fiance is also taking the pills, and has been since I have. He created an addiction just as I have. He is willing to quit with me, but is also scared of withdrawal....  :(
sorry I posted inside this post, wasnt sure how it worked, I am still learning, Thanks.
well i have a compressed vertabre frac. and got off the pills the minute i found out i was pregnant. Granite i was in severe pain and stayed on bed rest w heating pad, but my precious baby was well worth it. Now my cousin is takiing 8 vikodin a day and says her dr told her it was ok.  I guess they are all different because my dr told me do not do it. Good luck to all of you-God doesnt give you more than you can handle
I just found out I am pregnant...I take roxycotins regularly but have decided to take suboxin to quit.  I also did cocaine for the first time in a year the day before I found out.  It was a very small line, but I am terrified this is going to have lasting affects.  Can anyone tell me if the Cocain or suboxin (that I will take to get of the pain meds) will do harm to my baby.  I feel like such a horrible person right now.
Cocain isn't going to have any effect as long as your not doing it regularly. I don't know about suboxin. I am so glad that i found this site. I'am 15 weeks pregnant and take 2-4 perks maybe once or twice a week. I snort it so I don't know if that does more or less to my baby. I feel guilty but I'm very addicted even though its not every day.
I am also prescribed roxycodone 30 mg and seriouslt dependent on them. I just found out I was pregnant 2 weeks ago and have went from 8 pills a day to 2 but am still very concerned about the well being of my baby. I have read on MANY websites its unsafe to stop cold turkey and that the meds are category B which isnt bad. But i still feel like im a horrible mother and I want to explore my options. I will not do methadone. I really just want to stop but am so afraid and confused. Any help?
To anyone who says its OK to talk any narcotics while you are pregnant you are WRONG!  Taking narcotics before 30 weeks may cause birth defects.  Taking them After 30 weeks daily may cause premature labor or have a baby born addicted to that drug and HE WILL GO THROUGH WITHDRAWL (withdrawal)!   Apgar scores mean nothing if your taking a narcotic here and there because that baby is NOT having withdrawl (withdrawal) at 1 and 5 minutes out of the womb!   OB/GYN suggestion is NO drugs of any kind in your system 2 weeks proir to delivery!!  Now, If after 30 weeks you MUST take a narcotic... (tylenol w/codeine) is the only narcotic suggested in late preganancy ... ONLY take it when needed and I dont mean on a dialy basis.... WHY play russian roulette with your inborn baby????  JMO .  If you have an addiction problem PLEASE PLEASE try to quit.. cold turkey is best.. you will feel like crapola for a week and then back on track with a healthier you and a healthier baby!  Best of luck and please try for all the buns in the ovens!  BTW, I am not being judgemental in ANY way.. just trying to give the facts and hopefully it will help someone make the right choices.  
NO NOT COLD TURKEY DURNIG PREGANCY ...... PLZ got to your doctor be honest with him and have him help you work out a SLOW taper it is what is safest for your unborn baby ..... ny02 there is a member on our forum that is an obgyn nurse I will have her contact you.
i personally think it is selfish as hell to take anything while pregnant......

if a woman does not have the ability to "just say no" while pregnant for  a simple 9 months in her life, then maybe that isn't the time to have a baby.

a woman better be pure selfless when she has a kid...............and if u cant do it for  9 months, what the hell will u do for at least 18 years?

i have a lot of understanding of addiction..........i am very accepting of most things.  but,  a baby being forced to ingest an oxycontin, percocet or xanax i can't accept that.

im not hating---just beeing real.
I would be very concerned about taking advice from a message board that concerns your babies life.  You should discuss this with your OB doctor.  Your pain doctor may say its okay but the baby doctor may say know.  The high levels of tylenol can't be good for a new babies liver.  Please be careful of the advice you give and receive on here that involves such serious medical issues and life.  What worked for one could hurt the next as our addictions are all different.  This thread scares me....
Make sure you tell your OB you are addicted and they will give you the best advice for your baby and you1!
I know, any woman who talks herself into believing that taking any narcotic is ok during pregnancy is just selfish IMO! I don't care what any of you say, deep down you know it's wrong!!!!!!!! And of course talk to your Dr about it before quitting, but tapering is always an option.....even before you talk to the Dr. Also, when a Dr say's it's not going to harm the baby, they mean at a "normal" dose!!!! And we all know that the majority of us are NOT taking a normal "prescribed" dose!!!!!
well said pbear!
Its easy to judge when its not you. Of course its not okay to take these kinds of drugs when pregnant, if your doctor knew your situation I'm sure he\she would help you do whats best for you and baby. I agree that any advice you take should be from them. I know when I was preg i had a cyst on my ovary the size of an orange and the doc gave me percs. (7th month) I asked him about it because I was concerned more about baby than the pain(shocking because I am an addict)  He said it would be fine as long as taken correctly. Can't tell you the last time I took a pain pill the right way though. Talk to your doc, def.
I really can not believe all the women in the world that take chances on an innocent unborn child.  It is the child that has to deal with the problems it may have, because you could not say NO!!!!!!!  I would never take that chance!!!  I am a former Child Service Worker, and believe me, I have seen it all.  NO, its not ok to take Narcotics during pregnancy.  You that have done so, and your babies are ok, they too could develop problems later  on in their lives. Go ahead and tell yourself, its ok, but I assure you, It is NOT!!!!!!!  You are very lucky child Services did not get involved with you,  They still may, if you keep it up and someone reports you.  I would get off that S***
apparently my post was removed. must have been mean. i didnt mean it mean. i just think if a woman makes a decision to have a baby then, with that decision, comes massive responsibility and selfless acts going foward so she better start the min she finds out she is pregnant to get it together and realize it isnt about her anymore...or her back pain....or headaches....or whatever it is that she requires pills for. it is all about the baby and what is best for him.

i am not judging.  of course it is easier said then done! if it wasnt, there wouldnt be anything known as an addict........

and, if a woman realizes that at this stage in her life she is too selfish to have  a baby....wants to take pills, work a lot, party, travel, etc then take the appropriate steps and measures that are OUT THERE in order to avoid getting pregnant.

is that said better?! lol  
Where I totally believe we are all welcome to our opinions ...I highly doubt any of ladies intentionly went out and got pregnant while they were abusing drugs most of the ladies as soon as they find out start to taper off of there meds but it takes time if they are going to do it safely .Plz remember these ladies need to be encouraged to tell  there doctor and do what is best for there babies and themselves not to be scared and fearful to be honset with there doctor .
UMM,she was asking if STOPPING at this point would harm her child, not if she should keep using. Why would you want to scare someone with Child Services?  People need encouragment to do the right thing.....not threats. I personally will pray for her and i hope she makes the right decision.
agreed.  it is a sensitive subect, i think, on both ends....

the mom who is with child wanting to stop.

and then other people, like princess, who have probably seen the worst of the worst....

i really do have a hard time understanding why someone would continue, regardless of pain, to take anything like pills while preg.  there will always be that chance that *something* could happen. and, absolutely NO doctor can say FOR SURE....if u taper or if u stop cold turkey , etc your baby will be ok or wont be. everyone is diff.  everyone's baby will will different.   we all know if u smoke cigarettes the chances of u getting cancer are great.  but, that deff doesnt mean if u smoke u will for sure get cancer. the best way to prevent yourself from getting cancer in conjunction with smoking would be....to not smoke.....

that's all im saying.  

i have known people who took pain meds all thru pregnancy and their babies were 150% just find and healthy.

i also knew a girl who took oxy's while preg and her son was born with his stomach on the outisde of his body.........and lived in ICU with IV's in his head and 11 surgeries the first  month of his life....

and all i meant was if physically, due to pain, or mentally, due to addiction, u require pain meds at this time in your life, dont get pregnant. IMO only....there are soooooooooo many forms of birth control out that there is NO reason to get preg these days "accidentally".  BTW before everyone goes off about that.............i have a baby....that was unplanned. absolutely i could have done more to prevent it from happening.  so, im classifying myself in that group as well.

I am not here to scare anyone, just giving advise.  What I said earlier, is exactly what I meant!  If you a pregnant, seek help for the safety of your baby.  I have seen so much while working for CPS, and have gone to countless seminars on this subject.  Trust me, I know what i am talking about.  Again, not here to scare or threaten anyone, just giving friendly advise, that might help someone in need. I have answered so many questions to different ones, and most are very grateful!  I am not the BAD GUY!!!
Both of my daughters are registered nurses that deliver babys at a big hospital in downtown St. Louis and it happens wayyyyyyyy to often where cps comes in to take custody of the baby because of the presence of drugs in the babies system or withdrawals.

It is a sad reality that happens way too often.  You must be honest with your doctor and get the help you need, if not for you, for your baby!
I am glad to know someone agrees !   That is exactly what happens here in Texas!  Its so so sad to see a precious innocent baby going through withdrawls.  It breaks your heart! I know its hard for some, but if you have seen what I have seen and been around, maybe you would think twice before you took anything!!!!  Just a little advise to all.

Princess2000
Okay, I agree with most that you cant judge unless you are in someones shoes, but the comment made by guiltymom that cocaine is okay early in pregnancy is beyond ridiculous.  Cocaine isnt okay if you are not pregnant let alone have an innocent child growing inside of you. How can you think that? You say you are snoring opiates but you cant help it because you are addicted and dont do it often.  please,please,,please get some help and dont give advice to other pregnant women that snorting anything is okay while with child.  it is irresponsible and makes me, personally, sick. If you are fighting your addiction than fight it and dont fool yourself into thinking that any of these things can be done in moderation.  Not every baby born from an addicted mother will be sick or addicted but that doesnt make it right, that makes it lucky.
I took Hydro's while pregnant with my 19mos. old  (  about 4-5  10/500mg.)  & my Baby WAS born with withdrawls, She was ok, BUT In NY state They were made to report this to CPS .    We had to wait to be discharged on the last day of my Hospital stay Untill a Worker came in to release me after talking to me about it. I was SCARED SILLY..... & Luckily My DR knew I was on em from my Pain Clinic & I had been getting a SCRIPT for em, So we were ok & let go..... SO If you are NOT getting them thru a DR & just buying em then BEWARE & BE CAREFUL!!!!!  
One more thing- Isnt ASPRIN In Percocet?????
Asprin is BAD during pregnancy.......
I have had 7 babies & I KNOW This one is a NO NO.
Princess is just being honest, not cruel! She has been a great help to me by answering questions. I was one of those women who was pregnant with a strong addiction to narcotic pain meds. It can be very difficult, but if you are going to choose to have a baby you have to be willing to put that life before yours! It's not my body right now, it's my baby boys and he has complete control. Anything I do, take, drink, eat affects him now and forever more. That's how I see it. If you don't want problems for your baby stop taking any pills. And make sure your doctor knows everything thats going on. If they don't know and find out later they will assume you were hiding things from them and that will be a whole new mess for ya!
I hope you are a smarter person than you appear.  You cannot  possibly believe that cocaine is ok snort while pregnant.  Yes, its very harmful!!!  Do some research on it, and you will see for yourself.  I am telling you to be honest with your DR and he or she, will help you,the best way possible, so that the baby is safe.  I am not judging you, as that is not for me to do, only God can do that.  Trust me, those babies that have gone through 9 months of drugs, will come up some problems, maybe not right at the beginning, but later on in life, it shows up!!!  Then you really have problems to deal with.  Good Luck, I hope this opens your eyes. I have dealt with moms, that absoultley do not care about the baby, only that next fix!  I know most of this forum are really trying to get off and recieve help, and I thank God fo
Ok, so you are highly addicted, but you only take 2 or 4 pills "maybe" once or twice a week??? Ya mmm hmmm.........sounds more like you need to get your priorities straight to me!!!!!!!!
OMG i cannot believe this is even open for discussion!  

Let me ask people a question..........

let's say you have a baby...and the baby is now 4 years old.....and u walk in the living room and he or she is sitting there snorting a pill or doing a bump of coke.....are u just gonna be like "oh, now johnny, put that down....what did mommy tell u about snorting oxy's!"  hell no! ur gonna flip the hell out..........call the doctor/911......and try n do that while NOT having a heart attack!!!!!!!!!!!!

drugs and children are not ok.  coke, pills, alcohol--any of it! it is ridiculous to even kinda justify the argument on that side.  it is not acceptable. it is not ok. it is irresponsible and selfish.  my god, put the drugs down for an entire 9 months .... do not subject that cchild to your nonsense and lack of willpower.  i dont care if someone hits withdrawls or not.  withdrawls may not be good for the baby....but, i can tell u that doing coke while ur preg isnt good.  or pills. or drinking.  u know how big of a stigma comes with doing drugs while ur preg?  why do u think women who do that get labeled what they do?  because it is WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! period period period.  

i am being judegmental now. im not going to sugar coat it!  i dont have to walk a mile in ANYONE'S shoes in order to KNOW and feel that drugs while preg is wrong and not acceptable.  

when ur baby comes out.............at that nano second, ur life changes and everything u do must be for the #1 benefit of your child. so, start the process now. tell your doctor the truth.  and, let's just say that by telling ur doctor ur an addict, etc and need help u would go to jail for 5 months (of course i am exaggerating this and u wouldnt)  WHO CARES????????? it isnt about u anymore!  whatever the "penalty" would be.  if it means  u get clean and off drugs then do whatever u gotta do for that baby. now, always and forever.

there shouldnt be a debate or arguemnt about how many drugs a preg girl can consume and have her baby ok.

this is why i say  do not have kids until u are not dependent on a drug for any reason.
ummmm you guys are posting to a girl that has not been here since the 7th of november. The other girl that posted yesterday just found out she was pregant and is asking for help to get off her meds cuz she kmows whats best for her baby ....
Ya, some of us are specifically diresting our post's towards the mothers who posted reguarding the the mother who just fund out! Not to the one who started this thread, nor the mother who just found out!!!! If you read trough you'll see we are all talking to each other, not just the OP, or the woman who brought tis back up!!!!
i saw when these people posted before i posted..............i dont care tho because either they will come back or if someone else in similar situations read it and get something from it then great
I think that everyone needs to take a step back and realize we are not these young ladies and some of these mothes that are with child have come here asking questions about how to quit. I think alot of women don't plan on getting prego, it just happens, and some of them are normal, everyday woman, some work, some are housewives, not all are cracked out pill popping junkies, who are just spitting out kids left and right. I think that some of these women, whom are already addicted, get pregnant accidentally and then realize that that life inside them, is worth quitting and some don't know how. If you google anything about withdrawing while pregnant, every site says to NOT do it. And I have seen the abundence of women who have been posting here over the last couple years, who find out they are pregnant and want help in getting off, and almost everyone tells them to NOT do it cold turkey and to not just quit on their own and to absolutely tell their drs.

I am not at all condoning a women who is pregnant and still uses. I think its horrible and just plan selfish. However, we can't bash women who come here that genuinely want to get off the meds but don't know how. I read on this site that someone suggested Methadone to a pregnant mother??? Like, are you kidding me?? I cannot see how tapeing to something small and continuing usage while pregnant is not better then just stopping. Or even worse, switching to methadone and taking that throughout the pregnancy? Both of these suggestions were before just stopping.  That baffled me.

I just think that for someone like me, who didn't even think she could conceive again, see's how some women, and only SOME, are so carelss and continue to use and it sickens me. But, I also see some women who truly want to be rid of the pills for their child and they still get a whipping when they come here for advice...

Any women here who are pregnant, the absolute best thing for you to do, is to tell your dr. Please try to find a way to stop and give both you and your baby a chance at a happy life, let your dr help you, not us and definitely not the internet....

Good luck to you all....

i agree. if a woman is preg and using she needs to get off the pills however she can and under a dr's care.  

but, there are soooooooooooooo many people that come on here and are like oh im 30 wks pregnant, 25 wks preg, etc iv been taking oxy's and im im scared NOW that my baby could have something wrong with her....or be born addicted.

that is just freakin stupid.

The majority of girls who are in this situation are NOT on pain meds thru a dr at pain management, etc.  Chances are,  they are somehow abusing them.....or, if they are getting them  from a dr then they are abusing them.....if they weren't, they wouldnt be posting on here.  They would just ask their doctor because the dr would already know that they are on them so the girl wouldnt be scared to ask. that said, i feel as tho alot are abusing...........so i say....PICK what is more important ....

See, im very one sided with this...i cant help it. if it is a women who wants to get off pills and is worried then they wouldnt be asking the effects of pill popping when they are 30 wks pregnant. they wouldnt be suggesting doing some coke here n there is ok.

i agree with you tho lisa on it.  i just have zero tolerance for this addictive behavior while pregnant. figure something out. figure it out. there is always a way to get it figured out.
I know that guiltymoms was an older post, but people are still reading it and pregnant women are still clicking on the link and taking in the info so I think people like me should be allowed to express their views. Also, Im aware that she was responding to a question from the previous poster, but the way her response came off scared me and I had to speak up.  I dont pretend for a moment to think that just because you find out your pregnant, those addictive urges disapear and I have nothing but respect for the women that are trying to fight this thing for the health of their baby. For the poster who write that she just found out and as trying to get help, I know you will find plenty of support and helpful info here.
On the other hand,  Some women are just a little to blaise about the whole thing though. They can click off alist of reasons why getting off the pills is hard too and ignore the obvious reason that they need to do it. They state that they "feel bad" but they just have ot keep snorting pills. Its not just guiltymom, I have read it before from others and it bothers me. Maybe its because I cant have children myself, but Id like to think even if I could, I would feel strongly on the subject.

Some people on this forum have no trouble telling it like it when it matters.  They dont sugar coat things and they speak up and as long as they are not disrespectful, they should be allowed that privelege.  I chose to speak up about this because it serious. I usually never have a negative thing to say to people, and Ive had plenty negative thrown my way.

Many months back when I was withdrawing I posted a ridiculously emotional comment that I was ready to put my cat to sleep because I couldnt handle the stress (I didnt do it).  Tons of people wrote scathing comments to me that I was sick, needed help, was being selfish, etc... It hurt at the time but they were just speaking their mind and pushing for what they knew was right and I knew it was right too.  If people can get that worked up over a cat, then we all have the right to get that worked up over hurting an unborn baby.
oh by the way, this is studiogirl, Im trying to get rid of this old username but it hasnt happened yet
i love ur comment about the cat vs. pregnant women!  that's awesome and very true!

i am a few days over 28 weeks and i have never had an addiction to any kind of pain med. however lately i have found that when i am having problems sleeping or im in pain by all the body changes me and my fiance buy a few pain pills they very from hydrocodon, percocet, and to be quiet honest have even bought roxycodon 30's and oxycotin 60's. while the oxys and roxys are not something we get often the hydro's and perks we get atleast 4-5 times a WEEK we buy maybe 3-5 at a time and snort them all usually within the same night. i also smoked maijuanna most of my pregnancy and am proud to say that i havent smoked in 2 weeks its hard since that has always been my drug choice. i have found that i may be using the pills to help keep me away from smoking and while i do plan on stopping all i am worried and affraid to tell my doctor since i do not get a perscription. what am i doing to my baby. i feel like a horrible mom but mentally i feel i need something to help me get through this time of all these body changes please does anyone have any adivise or knowledge to what i am doing to my baby and if i quit around 30 weeks will my baby go through withdrawls.
I have been doing oxy contin pain pills throughout my pregnancy off and on. I dont do it alot but its still in my system and Im due in 4 weeks. do they take your baby away from you if they find drugs in your system at the hospital?
Oh my i don't think i have ever seen so many people have there knickers in such a bunch.  From what i read in these posts was women who unintentionally got pregnant then came here to get information not a lynching.  Hell some of you would have scared me so much i would have gone running.  Don't you realize how much stress you put on those poor women and that certainly isn't good for the baby and neither is going cold turkey.  That is just a miscarriage waiting to happen.  I do think it is important to try and not use pain medication but did any body even ask why they were taking the meds?  If i got pregnant i would have a really hard time not using pain meds sometimes because of my medical conditions, but i would definitely talk to my doctor and do what i could do.  When a persons pain gets so bad that can also put alot of stress on the baby.  People actually pass out because the pain is so bad, so if they are passing out from it imagine what that stress is doing to the baby.  You really have to look at all aspects of the situations.  If someone is just taking them for fun well that is just plain irresponsible and they should taper down at a slow pace as not to cause they baby any stress.  Stress is soooo bad for babies, i am not saying pain meds are good for the baby.  But stress will cause a miscarriage and as far as i know unless the person overdoses the pain meds will not cause a miscarriage. Yes in an ideal world all the pregnant women could just magically stop taking them without any effort at all.  But this is the real world it is just doesn't work that way. You have to give credit to the ones who are working with there doctors to have a healthy baby.  This is just such a sensitive subject and each person must be looked at indiviulally not lump them together as a group, each one has a different story.  So don't judge until you know the whole story.  And you pregnant women out there i know that most of you want is what is best for your baby but keeping yourself in shape to have the baby is just as important as keeping you baby healthy.  So i say listen to your doctor.  Don't let some of the comments made here stress you out and make you feel like a horrible human being.  Key word is human being because that is what we are and no of us are perfect or do everything exactly right.  So if taking a pain pill now and then is going to help your pain and take the stress off of you by all means do it.  But only under dr care.  That is most i can't stress the dr part enough.  And all of your drs should know everything.  They some people reacted you would think that they were shooting bags of heroin in there veins everyday. Anyways I wish all the expectant mothers out there the best.  And may you have strong healthy beautiful babies!!
FYI---this is a pretty old thread.  A lot of the posters may not even be around anymore.
I knw this is sad to say but i am on pain pills *hydrocodone* and percocet and xanax i am suppose to take them everyday which i do not. Just bc i am really scared of the side affects it could have on my unborn son. My ob and primary dr knw taht i am on them and my ob wants me to quit cold turkey. I am due in feb and i maybe take 2 xanax a week when really desperately needed and a half a percocet when i am really hurting and in servere pain, i was curious if its better for my baby to go thru withdrawls while in the womb or once delivered with the appropriate medical equipment. I really wish i didnt have to worry about withdrawls at all bc its such a small amount of medication but it is medication that is and kan be transfered to my child. i want what is best for him and am pretty proud of myself for cutting back so much on them all together.. thanks so much!
hi, i need help.... my future sister in law is addicted to pain medication! she's 8 months pregnant now and has been popping 8 or more perc  15's a day. she's been takeing the pain pills befor she was pregnant and hasnt stop or slowed down. when she was pregnant with her son she dpoped pills but not as much so she says everything is ok. she got a prescrition from her doctor a while ago so her hushband knows about that but has no clue about her buying them off the streets or stealing them from people. im worried about the baby, and want to tell someone her doctor or her hushband so atleast he can let the doctor know to check the baby out when she's born. my fiance said he was going to tell the doctor but tonight when i said i was telling the hushband because he has no clue where hundreds of dollars are going and it is wrong of her to do this he got insanely mad and said it's none of my concern but when she comes to my fiance haveing him doing her dirty work of getting them and paying the dope mani think it is my concern. please someone give me advice.
Hi~  You posted your question on a very old thread and it may get overlooked. Please write a new post on the forum page where it says "post a question".
There are many here to offer support/advice.                                           V.
I would strongly suggest you tell someone it about this .The baby is going is going to pay the price it about the childs well being and nothing else I would tell anyone you need too.
5 months ago i fell and shattered both my heels, two weeks after that i had surgery and ever since my surgery ive been taking 6 to 8 oxycodone 5 mg a day.  Im still in pain when i take the meds but i want to stop for my baby. is it okay?? and i believe im addicted. I get this feeling in my stomach and i cant sleep or sit still until i take more.  Please let me know what you think.
That had to hurt has much yes you can get off them just talk to your obgyn. You have a vaild reason for being on them. Ask him to help you with a slow taper plan to get you off them. Tell him you would really prefer to be off them before the baby is born .Then after the baby is born if you are addicted you are going to need to find some recovery care honsetly getting off the pills is the easy part staying off of them is the hard part and you are going to need support ...let us know how your are doing . how far along are you ?
about 5 or 6 weeks, havent been to the doctor yet....im in consist pain even when i take the meds. i walk with a cane and can only walk or stand for maybe 30 minutes without dieing and having to sit down.  i know its going to be tough when i get bigger, i see myself going back to my wheelchair. i didnt mean to get pregnant and know its going to be tough but what a great present to come from a mistake you know?  just please pray for me when im going through getting off my meds.  I have been a very strong person through this whole injury thing and i believe i can get through this.
it is extremely tough to go through the pain of pregnancy even without the problems that caused you to be put on pain meds....I know this for a fact as I was pregnant both before and after the accident that caused my chronic pain issues. Now, I'm 34 years old and somehow, pregnant again. I broke my back and neck shortly after the birth of my 10 year old son. I was only on pain meds for a while until I got older, then the pain became constant and unbearable. I was on the meds for a short time while I was pregnant with my 5 year old daughter. My (soon to be) 1 year old son was born and I had taken pain meds the entire time I was pregnant. I had a tubal ligation after the birth of my daughter so by all accounts, should not have become pregnant with my 1 year old son. After he was born, they did a test ot check the clamps on my tubes and were certain that it was a "fluke" and that I would no longer be able to concieve (conceive) a child, but again, "they" were wrong....As I said, I am pregnant again. I have been going to pain management as there are bo further surgeries or treatment options that can alleviate my chronic pain. While I agree that you should sacrifice anything and everything for your children; both exixting and in utero; that is much easier said than done. Especially considering the fact that with a lot of chronic pain issues, you DO become physically dependant on the meds. This cannot be helped, but I certainly understand as I am unable to get out of bed and perform the regular things associated with being a living person, let alone being a mother....the only advice I can offer is to follow your OB's reccomendations regarding the use of medications while pregnant. That's really all you can do. And be honest with the doctor. If you're taking more than what you're prescribed, TELL THEM!!!! That is the only way they can properly treat/diagnose you and help you to either cut down or quit taking the medications. Trust me, I know this is hard and you feel really ashamed, but if you truly care for the child you're carrying, it's the only option. I haven't had my first OB appointment yet; with thisd pregnancy; so I don't even know if this is an ectopic pregnancy or not....however, until my appointment date arrives, I am following my pain management physian's advice and I continue to take my medications as prescribed. I am certain that my OB will take me off the current meds, but with my medical background, I am also certain that she will make the right choice; the option that is safest for both my baby and myself. Regardless of what treatment she chooses as appropriate for us, be it tapering me off the 15mg oxicodone 4x daily and the parafon forte 500mg 3x daily or taking me off of them completely and prescribing a safer medication, I will follow her advice and just do the best I can. Everyone seems so quick to offer up their oppinions and their advice and to judge other people, but I believe that you never know exactly what a person is going through unless you've walked in their shoes....as I said earlier, I, too have suffered traumatic injuries that have left me quite disabled and in constant pain so I do know the way it feels to be in pain every moment of every day. I have been attending pain management for about 5 years now and this alleviates the pain, though nothing takes it away completely; add to that, the regular aches and pains of pregnancy compounded with the extra weight pressing on the lower back and tailbone and that makes for a really painful condition. I can't tell anyone what's right for them, only your doctor can tell you that. So the best advice, go to your OB, be honest about the frequency and amount of meds you're taking; as hard and embarrassing and shameful as it may be; and follow their advice to the letter! Remeber, this isn't just your life, it's the life of your unborn child as well. Good luck to all; this includes myself sadly.
so when u tell ur doc that ur abusing pain meds and ur not prescribed them and that u neeed there help ur gunna tell me that there not gunna tell cps and turn u in and i have 3 other children and u dont think that they will take them away  from u guys ur crazy
Stop taking the pills now before you get addicted.  Babies born addicted to opiates suffer horrible withdrawals and they are prone to many health problems as a result of being born hooked. Also if the baby is born addicted childrens services will step in and take your baby. You are playing with fire and please listen to us and STOP right now before you end up hooked on them. If I could go back in time I would have never touched a painkiller. I think everyone else here would say the same. Please please stop now before you become addicted. It's so easy and by the time you realize your hooked it's when it's become a major problem. Opiates physically alter your brain and if you become hooked you have no idea the hell you will go through to get off them. I hope you leave the pills alone. Deciding to take any more pills is choosing to destroy your life and the life of your baby. Please get as far away from pills as you can.
Every single person who has posted on here asking for help is already addicted. There's no point "warning" everyone not to take pills- they are obviously already realizing that they have a problem. If your doctor prescribes the meds, then they obviously have the expertise to know that it is not going to cause harm to your baby. The ONLY thing that narcotics do to a fetus is cause withdrawal after it is born, which is easily treated in the hospital. If your doctor has prescribed the meds, then they know they will need the NICU on hand if the baby begins to withdraw. If the benefit to the mother outweighs the minimal risk to the baby, then the doctor will decide to keep the mother on pain medication. An inactive, stressed-out, emotionally unstable mother is much more detremental to a baby than a narcotic pain med that allows the mother to be active and calm. I am a nurse who worked with a physiatrist for years. Check your references before you put information out there.
im not tryin to be mean or anything but y are u even trying to correct someone on this post the last reply on here is 4 years old
haha sorry the post is 3 years old im tired and im am sorry for pointing you out RN i didnt even realize someone had just posted on it but this is a very old post so why are yall arguing on it
dont take that other post personally rn i did not mean to point you out i just did not realize other ppl were replying to this post i am very tired but gotta come on the forums for my last round of the night haha and just went to the last reply cause i thought it was the one that brought the post back sorry again im really not as DUMB as i just made myself look :)
Just wanted to post what I know...DDIL is PG with # 6 and has did pills ( Lortab,oxy,xanax and others ) with all babies..#1 dd wasn't growing and labor was induced she weighed 4lbs...legally blind,hearing impaired..mentally retired and she is now 9...# 2 DS is 8...no problems at birth other than she had preterm labor 3 X and then delivered at 38 weeks..he is fine just a bit hyperactive...# 3 DD no problems with baby but mom had swollen kidneys and was in lots of pain, and so far no signs of problems with DD...# 4 DS she was on pills really bad the first 2 months only and then went to jail..DS was born a month after mom got out of jail...I delivered him he came so fast...He does have lots of problems..Speech impaired and VERY ADHD...# 5 had withdrawels and was sent to a NICU hospital for a week...He is now 10 months old and development has been normal so far...Lot's of reflux and breathing problems from the beginning and not getting better...She is now expecting # 6 in about 3 weeks and has added a new drug suboxian this time and I am really worried about the out come of this DD...So NO DRUG is safe at any time as you can see here...But you just don't know which way it will go...Lot's of drugs during preganacy (pregnancy) will show up as ADHD and learning problems later on around school age...other will show up even later in life such as no fear and control with rages and fighting...So PLEASE!!! talk to your doctor and do it the right way. Good Luck!
Im in your shoes right now ive been addicted to hydrocodone for two yrs now and im 5 months pregnant i worry every day of my life on whats best to do.
Hi jhenry456 - welcome - and I'm sorry you're suffering right now.  If you post (actually it's "ask") a new question, I know a lot of the members here can help you through this time - I just don't want to see your comment get "lost" because this thread is kinda old.

:)
I am a mother of 3 children and am pregnant with our 4th baby.
I am in the health care field and due to this i dio have pros and cons
to taking narcodics during pregnancy. I myself had a bad car accident
and had crushed my disks in my lower back and as a result,my spine
is out 43 degrees. I have discussed my pain management with my family doctor
at great length. I am taking up to 3 (5mg) percocet per day, i take it always with food
in my system and have done this thru my pregnancy. I am now at 34 weeks and my
doctor suggests that i try to cut down the pills to only 2 per day as to give the baby
no real chance of having any withdrawls. I have always been concerned with taking anything
during my pregnancys, but having my doctor explain that the baby could go thru worse
symptoms as a result of myself being in pain constantly made sense to me. This is really a
desision that every woman needs to make for herself. I feel that if you are taking medications
for a valid medical reason and that you are being monitored by your doctor, you are being
responsible for both you and your baby. I hope that these words bring relief and comfort to any mother's
that are in doubt.
roxmom u should email me! ive had the same problem with roxicet... i think i can help u email me at ***@**** :)
I am only 10 wks pregnant and I am addicted to pain pills. I do have very bad withdraws if I stop. I did this with my first pregnancy but everything turned out fine. But I wasn't addicted then. I am so stressed that I will harm the baby and I have tried several times to stop usage!! I am not prescribed anything from my dr. And none of them know I have this issue.
hey, ive been on pain pills for my pregnacy... and my babys are fine an healthy.... its bad if u are addicted ans dont properly wing yourself off.... because that can cause stress to th baby.... the dr says they rather u take the pills before going through any type of withdawls cause its ery hard on the baby.... but i hope you find wat ur lookin for and good luck and congrats on the baby.... but i will tel you that i am very much addicted to pain pills.... just dont mix uppers an downers together...
I read somewhere that pain pills MAY cause breathing problems not that they will in newborns.  No one should stop taking pain meds without talking to their OB/GYN first.  I took pain meds (small amount) during pregnancy.
either way honey your gonna go thru withdrawl (withdrawal) theres no doubt about it even if u take suboxone or subutex your gonna have to get off that eventually. i been takin pills for 4 to 5 years now and my first child was born with withdrawls because i couldnt get off of the pills and they took him away from me so think about that when u go to pop that pill. you want your child and it was heartbreaking knowing wat i did to my baby, i made him suffer because my addiction, i know i dont no you but i want to help go to a dr. and tell them u need help because u care for your child and they will help you i promise you can do it iam now pregnant with my 2nd child a little girl and shes due in 4 weeks if i can do it i no you can i thought it was the end of the world when i couldnt take my pill but iam here iam just 22 i dont no alot but if you need me ill be here for you
Hi everyone -

We wanted to point out that you shouldn't take any medications while pregnant without talking with your doctor first, and medications (whether used appropriately or abused) can have different reactions in different people.

We understand that it's not always easy to discuss addiction with your doctor, but please consider doing so.  Your doctor can advise you about what medications you are taking, and how it may affect your pregnancy, given any other medical conditions you may have.

Emily
What if You've been takin pain pills and didn't know u were pregnant, took a pregnantcy test and it was positive,
(last period was nov 24 to the 29) so took test on dec 30 bc worried about takin pills n bein pregnant threw all pills away, will the baby still have problems or anything.
U don't need to b on ANY pill when ur pregnet it's just stress on u and ur baby and the ppl around u if u CAN and have the WILL POWER and WANT to stop then do it safely  
Can you please email me I have many questions please and thank you!! Angelbaby_738***@****
Talk to your ob ASAP!!!!
I am RN. Qutting cold turkey is not the best. That is the worst thing you can do. Tapering off them is best but taking narcotics during pregnancy will not cause birth defects. Yes they may go thru withdrawal but birth defects, not so much. so please please don't post things you no nothing about. Thanks
and how was it was ur babies fine while taking oxy .plz help
Funny this is coming up, because I just watched a show last week called Drugs Inc, about prescription drugs and YES, the babies are born addicted.  The mothers that had severe addictions, the babies had to continue being given meds for weeks after birth because of the severe withdrawals.  I know that some women use during pregnancy and think their babies are fine, etc, but it all depends on the amount you take.  You never know what the baby is feeling, it could be suffering at birth and because you are not inside that babies body, you just do not know.  Maybe it will cry a lot, maybe it won't be as smart as it could have been if no pills had been involved.  There are many issues that show up in the older years, not just at birth.  This is proven.  Researching it online is the best way to find out.

I dont mean to sound controversial,but quitting is the only way or telling your doctor and letting them deal with it.  Dont make an innocent life that you say you want suffer.   You know how bad our withdrawel is, the baby experiences the same things.  It should be born into the world feeling safe and happy, not like s**t.
Hi Could you please tell me what you would call "moderate" use of Percocet, ie how many mg per day? I have problems with my back hips and groin, I can barely move at times. I am 35 wks now.
This thread is pretty inactive and the person you are addressing posted in 2007.  Go up to the top of this page and click on the orange ask a question button.  Restate your question and you will start a brand new thread so your post won't be missed and you will get the support and answers you are asking for.  You might give a bit more info so we can understand and give you good responses.  Be patient help will come.  Glad you found this site!!
Dear roxmom;
I know what Suboxin is.
It is an opiette blocker.
I personally am not sure if its safe to take during pregnancy (should find out); but i know that it helps withdrawls.
If your to take one right when you get up in the mornings, it will stop you from doing the pain pills.
Since it's an opiete blocker; if you were to take a pain pill--
you wouldn't feel it at ALL. it'd be a complete and utter waste for you to.
It takes away the sweats, restless legs, anxiousness, back pain, etc.
i am almost 22 weeks and i have been taking about 3 to maybe 4 pills a day can that harm my unborn child i am really concerned??????
hon, I want you to get the help you need.  I posted earlier that this is an old thread and not many will see it.  Go up to the top of the page and click on the orange post a question icon.  Copy and paste your post and it will start a NEW thread for this forum.  There are many here that will help.  It is a very good and active forum.
There are no birth related effects but if you have had a positive drug screen at any time during your pregnancy then DFACS will not let you leave the hospital with your baby. It happened to me and I had to fight to get my baby home with me and had to do a 20 week rehab program and have DFACS in my life for a year.
sometimes she does and it is the strong who survive. If a woman is suffering she deserves to feel relief from that. Painkillers have never been proven to cause birth defects, only withdrawal if taken in third trimester in which baby needs to be weened off.
hi princess i really need some help and advice and would b soooo appreciative if you could email me .... ***@****. I really need advice nd help and you being a social worker is what i need. please email me back. thank you so much.
Hi can you tell me more abut pain pills and pregnancy im sooo scared i feel so horrible but i cant stop!
:( Brandy
thats also one oops too many to be playin games.a child has no choice,did  not ask to be born.did you get preg accidentally,or on purpose in response to ur comment on noone gets preg on purpose there!
and what do you think happens when two people have sex, with out protection on his and her part, accidents but common sense goes a long ways!
im currently 26 weeks preganat..i have been taking half a perk 30 almost every day. im addicted to snorting them..i have been buying sumboxans trying to quit the pills without having withdrawls.. does anyone have any advice on what i can do to quit everything?..will they take my baby in the hospital?..im soo scared!
You really need to speak with your OB about what you're doing. Suboxone is no different than taking the Percocet...

Also, start your own thread so others can respond to you. Go to the top of the page and click on the "post a question" icon.
first off Im sorry you in pain and now have to worry about what might happen from taking pain pills while carring your baby, I have been in your shoes and I know its not a good feeling I was taking vic, pecs during the frist 5 months of pegancy my doctor was giving me a script but then wanted me to stop and i continued im not proud of it but that was in my past, but to answer your quistion my baby was fine at birth she was a little small 5pds one once 18 inches long ans the palcenta was grey im very lucky the fda states it is not sureof the affects of the meds if taking during pregancy.. please stay stong and try not to take them i know its hard when you are in pain,, but most pleople start off taking them cause they are in pain and the pills can take over your life i wish nothing but the best for you,,god bless a friend
TO ANYONE WHO IS POSTING ON THIS TREAD.PLEASE START UR OWN NEW THREAD.This is such an important topic and there is a wealth of information here but ur post may get overlooked if u put it here.Also I c so much judgement and frankly incorrect and damgerous info here.U CAN NOT go cold turkey while pregnant its very dangerous.Also u come here for advice not judgement.Please start a new thread so u can get the proper advice
How long does it take for it to get out of the placenta I don't want them to take my baby plz help me
Trust me, no doctor would tell you to stop cold turkey. This could be dangerous to the baby. Be honest with your doctor about what you are prescribed and if you want to quit taking them he can work with you to do it in a controlled healthy way. Cold turkey could cause many problems.
i just want to no if these pain pills will be out of mine and the babies system when he is born? its been 6 days since i have taken anything and i am due any day now.
Chelsea this is a really old thread and you may not get the replies you are looking for.  you should start your own thread and lots of people will help you.  I think the opiates can stay in the baby's placenta and meconium for quite a while.  Your baby may now be going through distress and withdrawals depending on how much you were using unless you tapered with a doctor's supervision.  It is really important for you to talk to your doctor and be honest with him right away.  I am not trying to scare you, I am just concerned.
How much were you taking and what were you taking?
Nobody will judge you here.  We just want to help you if you can give us more info, we can answer you better.
Percocet does not contain aspirin.  It contains tylenol, which is safe during pregnancy if taken in a prescribed dosage.  Too much of it can cause liver damage for both mother and baby.
i really enjoyed your comment but im neew looking for help as well how did you find it?
I know you posted this a long time ago but hope you might see this still... I was on pain meds from my doctor also and have stopped taking them with no withdraws but I am still worried about my baby having them my question to you is did you take them up to delivery or did you quit before and the baby still withdraw? I am currently 34 weeks and haven't taken anything in a week.
I know this is very old but I am hoping someone reads it. I am 15 weeks pregnant and have been on pain pills for 4 yrs. I never thought I could have kids and then bam I find out I am pregnant. Don't get me wrong I am the happiest person in the world right now, but my addiction has gone to far. Not only was I taking pain medication recreationally, I was also taking aderoll for the energy. The aderoll is not the issue right now although I have taken it while pregnant. I was up to taking 90 mgs. a day. The day before I found out I was pregnant I had taken that much. I have slowed myself down and have eventually stopped! But, the pain medication is a different story. I keep hearing it is not safe to withdrawal from any type of medication/drug. I havent told my doctor yet because I am scared they will bring cps in it and take my child. Before I found out I was pregnant I was taking up to 10 thousands a day! I have slowed down to four and have tried to stop and can't. The withdrawals are unbearable! I didn't say anything to my doctor last month because I thought I could stop myself. I have never admitted I have had an addiction until now and only because I want the right help for my child! I made this mistake by starting four years ago. The only thing I can do now is ask for help! I have cried for days because of being so scared I don't want to lose my child at all... I have wanted a child for so long and thought I couldn't have one. I have a doctors appt. today and I am coming clean today. No more prolonging it. I can't do it alone, and need some help. This is the first time I have addmitted to ANYONE about having this addiction, although my husband, mom, grandma, and friends knew. They have been waiting on me to admit it. If it weren't for this blessing (whom I am afraid I have screwed up now) I still wouldn't admit it and would be getting my fix anyway I can. But now it isn't about me anymore it is about my little one! This is my first step to recovery, and I feel your pain! I am worried that people will think I am a bad person and even worse a bad mom. But I know I will be a GREAT mom! I just made bad decisions in life, and now am paying for it! I wish all of you who are experiancing the same problem luck with it and for you to get the help you need to recover for you and your child! I don't want to be addicted anymore.
I am 13 weeks pregnant and have been prescribed Percocets for about 4 years. I was hit by a drunk diver in 2008 and suffered two broken legs along with many other things. I now have a titanium rod in each leg. My OBGYN told me that being on them is fine. I also take Zoloft. Again, she told me that this was fine. I take 4 Percocet 7.5's a day and 75 MG of Zoloft. I have asked so many questions about these during pregnancy with my doctor. She has explained to me that the Percocets and Zoloft are safe to use..in my case. Everyone is different. I CAN NOT go through a day without pain or an anxiety attack so therefore it is best for me to take these. If someone thinks that if you are on medication then you are "selfish"..whatever. You have your own opinions but first you need to take care of yourself in order to take care of your baby. I didn't ask to be hit by a drunk driver and have rods in my legs..which the accident causes me to have the anxiety attacks because I was diagnosed with PTSD from it.
haha i talked to my dr about being addicted to pain pills and she can give me something to taper myself off all she cld say is go to detox or rehab which i told her i cant do that bec i have 5 other childrent which i had to take them to school and i dont have no one to watch them. and i even to to the er n told them my problem and all she cld say is stop now and i told her what???!! i cant stop cold trukey it cld kill my baby and have still birth and she said i never heard of that you can just quit but u will be sick but u can just quit without any help. i was shock bec that hospital is where i will have the baby at.. it pretty fk0000 uppp
I don't truly know where to start I am currently pregnant at 24 weeks. I have been taking hydrocodone off and on through my pregnancy I have decided that it is time to stop them all together but I'm still afraid of the affect they are gonna have on my baby. Any comments or help would be amazing.
Hi my name is nicole I've been on xanax for 5 years for extreme panic and anxiety disorder i take only 2mg a day now and am scared to death for my unborn baby,i have tried everything to fet off them e even a detox facility. Plus nine different drs i have had seizures tring to wein, and feel like im stuck, does anyone have any advice?
Do not try to get off Xanax by yourself when you are pregnant. Loss of pregnancy is a real concern when WDing from Benzos. It needs to be done under a doctors supervision. Can your OB help you? You need to tell them & make sure you tell them you've had seizures before detoxing!!!
Wut if your addicted to perk 30s what kinda harm does thay do?
I will tell you now,You are an addict.I know pain,live it daily.I have 5 children who are addicts.Saddly, I am prescribed pain med & I DON'T Take it.My oldest 2 are recovering.been on methadone over 2 yrs,next likes to snort just about anything.Like I'll tell anyone,if your truly in pain Swallow,Don't snort.ADDICTS SNORT.My step daughter who was/is in denial throughout her pregnancy snorting perc 30s everyday sometimes up to 90mg daily.She went into labor 3wk early.Her son cried awful 1st 15min to point nurses were getting suspecious.He is now 3month old & still cries unless he has a bottle in his mouth.So my reply to ALL pregnant mothers isn't to judge any of you.But my ? is you know when there is that kid out there who just annoys the living hell out of you.Wont stop talking,bouncing,just being plain annoying & you want to hang em from a hook just to stop them,Well this could be YOUR CHILD.but also know you are what you expose yourself to.The foods we eat,the products we use etc can have great effects on us & unborn children.Sadly are whole society has gone to hell in a hand basket.We have to take charge of our lives,our destiny's otherwise  we just succum to nothingness.As hard as it is, if you put your mind to it,you can do it.Pray alot & seek God & proff help if you can't.And remember pleasse be thinking before snorting,or drinking or shooting/smoking.The life you may save just might be your own.God Bless
Just a thought and I may be hammered but if your abusing narcotics addicted or not you may think about using protection,,,guys and girls. If it does happen then PLZ take the advice of those who said be honest with your Dr. You cant save your pride and your babys life both, Its not to late to get over the guilt and into the solution.
I also am addicted to pain pills, they have been prescribed to me for a year now and I am 37 weeks pregnant. I only take a couple a day no more than 3 however I am wondering if my baby will go through wihdrawls and will the drugs be in his system when I deliver? Do they test babies for that at birth? I have tried to stop but the withdrawal was so bad and my baby lost wait. What should I do I am due in 2 weeks and don't want the hospital thinking I'm a druggy. Please no judgement
This post is really old so the best thing to do to get your question answered is to post in a new thread. That way people will probably respond more quickly.
Codeine is one of the WORST you can take in pregnancy, if you can not taper try a different pain med.  I know to us codeine is the lesser narcotic BUT in your body it breaks down into morphine for the baby.  

http://www.cfp.ca/content/56/1/25.full

This study shows only mom who took codeine, even in recommended amounts the baby had withdrawals symptoms.  My OB gives me percocet, as most oxy is pregnancy category B.
.... so if someone is in a car accident and breaks their femur they are being weak?  If someone is enslaved in chronic pain for years and can not care for her children in the mass amount of pain and must take a small amount of pain medication to function while pregnant, this is what you have to say to her?
Have a friend who used cocaine regularly at 5 months of pregnancy whole 5 months ..what ate the chances.if she stopped that the bby will have withdrawal s
I would just go by what your OB recommends. Just a FYI that at any time they can tear your urine or blood for drugs. They can also test the babies meconium (first bowel movement) and it will tell them any drug you have taken while you have been pregnant. If it comes back positive they are required by law to contact cps. So just make sure you only take what your OB prescribes and you will be completely fine.
I have been using 4 mg of diladud here and there throughout my pregnancy. It's only been like 1 or 2 every few days for the past maybe 2 months to deal with my broken tail bone. I'm now 34 weeks and have stopped as of today..will my baby have withdrawal when she's born?
you cant take suboxone preganat ONLY SUBUTEX which doesnt harm the baby... suboxone has to much (ibeuprofeuaim) in it and SUBUTEX is used for pregnant woman.... Ive gotten off IV drug use and am 20 years old , found out i was preganant at 2 months. Stopped right away, SUBUTEX SAVED MY LIFE!! hope all goes well <3