Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Pregnancy and Tramadol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Pregnancy and Tramadol

I really need help.  Has anyone out there taking tramadol during a pregnancy?  I am really, really scared right now.  I am 29 weeks pregnant and have taken tramadol for the past 2+ years.  During my first trimester I went c/t and lasted about 3 weeks.  I still felt so miserable that I couldn't take it anymore and started taking the pills again.  Since then I've tried weaning with no success.  Two weeks ago I tried c/t again and lasted only three day.  I got so sick, didn't eat for three days and I was so worried about what those w/d's were doing to the baby.  So, now I'm taking them again.  I'm am soooooooooo scared.  What is this med doing to the baby?  What if I can't get off before I deliver, will the baby have horrible w/d's?  There's just so many questions and unknowns.   That's why I turned to everyone on here.  Maybe someone out there knows something?
Any suggestions on how to get off of this stuff before I deliver?  I have hated myself every single day of this pregnancy.  I can't believe I got myself in this situation.  I really, really need some help....
Hi & Welcome,

Please keep your questions in one post. If you start posting different questions in different posts, minutes apart, we won't be able to follow you and help.

First, and foremost, you need to be honest with your OBGYN. He/she needs to be prepared in the event that you don't get off the drugs and deliver an addicted baby. They know how to handle it if they are prepared.

Then, let your doctor put you on a taper plan. Tramadol withdrawal can cause seizures and it is dangerous to continue to cold turkey off of it.

Best of luck to you and the baby. I hope you follow the advise to get honest with your doctor.
Does you doctor know ?????? If he does not already tell him now !!! DO not try to ct off of the Tramadol it not safe without being pregnant it can cause YOU seizures. Then add pregnancy on top of it .You are putting your baby at the risk of miscarriage or pre meture birth.
All the the the discomfort you felt durning CT your baby felt too.ANTI DEPRESSANTS are very dangerous on tramadol it increases your risk of seizures.

YOU have 10 weeks you can ween of of the tram before the baby is born .The doctor can work you out a taper plan so you can be off it .you know how bad CT wd is for you imagine how that would be for a new born baby .

Call the doctor today
i did not take ultram during pregnancy but i am embarassed to say that i took anti-depressants during my first pregnancy, i have struggled with depression all my life, tried to kill myself when i was 14, its been a long journey with the depression
ultram is know to have anti-depressant qualities, so not only are you and your baby going to go through that opiate like wd, there is going to be some of that antidepressant wd
i do believe that part of my oldest sons learning disibilities are herititary but i also strongly believe that the paxil caused so many other problems, but i did the best i could while i was pregnant with him, even went into a private hospital for people with depression
even though my intentions were good the end result is that i have to deal with my sons difficulties because of the pill i took when i was pregnant
i cannot advise you on what to do, all i can do is swallow my pride and share my experience on the subject
with the paxil it was suggested that i nursed my baby so that it would limit his wd, some people say that certain drugs do not pass through breast milk, i am not buying that, if you are nursing or pregnant your baby is taking everything you are,and goes through the same wd's
but thats what my doctor told me, so maybe you can talk to your obgyn, just tell them, an embarassing moment will not kill you, but lack of education is deadly, good luck, please come back and post, we need people going though this to stick around
When I went c/t in the first trimester, my OB doc knew about it.  But, he doesn't know that I started taking the pills again and have been taking them ever since.  When he was helping me with this, he said he had never detoxed anyone before which is surprising since he's been practicing OB for at least 25 years.  Now I'm terrified to tell him that I've been taking them this whole time.  I am very ashamed of myself for being in this situation.  I have three sons and while pregnant with them, I did everything right and now this time....I am completely failing this baby.  We know we're having a girl so this pregnancy is extra special to us and I'm destroying it.  I haven't enjoyed one single day because I'm so disgusted with myself and scared.

I have never been successful at tapering.  Can someone give me some advice on how to taper and how I can do it so I'm off before I deliver the baby?
I am just really, really scared right now and feel awfully alone.  Anyone that can  please give me advice or ideas would be enormously appreciated.
Dear, you must be truthful and tell your doctor what's going on. People on here may be helpful in suggesting a taper for an addict..but, there's much more in play in your case. There's an innocent life at stake here. The first step of recovery in the 12 step programs is complete surrender. In other words, admitting we're powerless against the drugs and admitting we need help. If you can't do this for yourself, be selfless enough to do it for your child. If any doctor is upset that you're doing this, then he's not a doctor you need to be seeing anyway.
Please talk to your OB, nobody here is a dr, even though they may have a good taper plan. You said yourself in your post, your failing this baby and having a girl so it's extra special. Please take the advice above and do the RIGHT thing. Talk to your dr. please, this is an innocent life here. Good luck for you and your baby.
I major part of that is becuase most doctors do not belive you can become addicted to tramadol becuse it "non" addicting .We know know what a load of **** of that is .
If you have to tell himm when you go off it it seems ;ike normal withdrawl (withdrawal) and you want to make sure you get off the med before babay is born becuse you would hate to have the baby feel that way .That my get threw to him.we are here to help
thanks for the advice.  I have an appointment next Tuesday and I may have to talk to him.  I'm really scared.  When he knew about this in the first trimester, he gave me tylenol w/codeine to help the w/d symptoms but to be honest, it really didn't help much and I still felt awful which is why I ended up right back on the tram.
What is a safe taper....could I drop two 50mg tabs every three days and still feel normal?
I know I have to talk to the doc, I'm scared.  Another issue, when I went c/t in the first trimester and then started using again, my hubby didn't know I started taking them again.  He thought that was the end of it.  If I talk about this to my doc, will he be able to tell my husband?  I hate that my husband doesn't know but he's gone through me going c/t so many different times and he would never forgive me if he knew I failed the last time too...
I am glad you are finally going to get honest with someone and I am glad it is your doctor.

What concerns me is that you are worried that your doctor will do something and now you are worried that your husband will be upset.

You need to get honest. You are carrying an innocent life and the only thing I am hearing from you is "what if this one finds out". Please understand, I am not trying to be rude. I am trying to wake you up and get you to understand that YOU have a choice, the unborn baby does not.

Just for the record, you are protected under the HIPPA Act and your husband cannot find out anything about you unless you sign a release.

I really hope you do the right thing.
well its obvoius your obgyn has never detoxed someone, tylenol with codine is an odd choice, knowing this i can suggest a couple things, one change doctors, two call an inpatient faclilty, a detox would think nothing of it, they do it all the time, i can spout off taper plans for just about any drug however i was taught that detoxing while pregnant can cause miscarriage, but then we detoxed pregnant women all the time at the tx center, i am just not sure the best plan, why dont you post this question under the professional forum and see what dr. j has to say and also post it on the ask a doctors forum, another option is to just call any detox facility and ask how and what they use to detox maternity patients, its odd that your doc has been in practice 20 plus years and has never treated someone for substance abuse, he will be little help because he has no experience, thats why i say ask the docs on here and while you are waiting on an answer call a tx center
how did your doc appt go?
I am trying to gold cold turkey  from tramadol at 37 weeks and I can not sleep nor eat... Im scared to talk to my OB about this situation, I have to other boy and i dont want my kids taken from me... Im lost,scared,and confused I dont want to harm my baby girl that Im finna have in 2 weeks. HELP
I agree with IB. but I gotta say if you both love each other maybe it's time to be honest with him. if he loves you he will support you in every step of the way. if I was him I would be more upset for not telling me then anything else. if my partner came to me about a problem I would do everything in my power to help no matter what! but again it depends on your situtation. every person is different, he isn't abusive to you is he? "have to ask as I sense fear in your replies"
its been 3 years, since this post. I am in a simular situation. Was your baby ok? and how high of a does were you taking?