Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Prescription drug addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Prescription drug addiction

I live at home with my sister and mom. Our mom has chronic back pain and is on painkillers. She takes Lortab and Morphine. We are seeing more and more problems with this in the last 2 years. She is 66. We are very concerned that she is going to end up killing herself. She insists on managing her meds but it becomes obvious that she takes too many. We are very frightened. What can we do?
no real answer to this...she is old and quality of life is important...she is possibly in the last decade//or ;ess of her llife as it sounds like her health is not the best//many 66 yr olds still work//we r all different/she sounds like an old 66...there is a difference//66 is not 66 for all

have u spoken with her drs?  Wanting to mange her own meds is normal..older peeps do not want to let go of their independence...they hang on to it as I am sure I will...I do not fault her for this...but do look into anything that could be detrimental that her control of her own medication could be causing
Taking away control can be hard for an elderly person as it can freak an addict out as well....taking away her control by suggesting u take over her medication mgt can be a symptom of addiction...or merely one more thing that is taken away from her cos she is Old...either way it needs to be done gently and with love